PDA

View Full Version : MKG signs 4yr/$52mil extension with Hornets

GodsSon
08-24-2015, 11:54 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ✔@WojYahooNBA
Yahoo Sources: Charlotte, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist finalizing a four-year, $52M extension. http://yhoo.it/1V5OiPT

Yahoo Sports
Photo published for Sources: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist finalizing contract extension with Hornets
Sources: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist finalizing contract extension with Hornets
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist's extension with Charlotte will be worth $52 million over four years.
View on web

:speechless:

ewing
08-24-2015, 11:55 PM
good deal. he is one of few impact players on D

ManRam
08-25-2015, 12:05 AM
If he ever develops a jumper this becomes a bargain. If not...well, he's one of the 3-5 best perimeter defenders in the league so it's still a solid deal.

slaker619
08-25-2015, 12:09 AM
I though they'd trade him to be honest

tredigs
08-25-2015, 12:12 AM
Yeah, the only problem with his impact D is that if a team ever feels like it they can just do what Kerr did do Tony Allen. Put their center on T. Allen and simply leave him wide open for an extra player to roam the paint freely. That defense crippled them offensively. Dude didn't even attempt a single 3 this year. You can't get by with that anymore, and it's part of the reason why they have basically the worst offense in the league.

2-ONE-5
08-25-2015, 08:31 AM
another overpay this off-season (dont care about the cap going up stuff). Strong defender but very little offensive game and even less of a J to go with it.

ManRam
08-25-2015, 09:51 AM

You can say "I don't care about the cap going up" all you want but the fact is by 2018 he'll be making roughly 1/8th of the cap...and that's absolutely great value. and it won't impact their ability to spend next summer at all.

mike44
08-25-2015, 09:53 AM
Good deal. Great defender and mark price did wonders for his jumper. From 10-16 ft out he improved from 15% to 50% last year and from 16ft - 3 pt went from 30% to 37%. Hes still only 21

Chronz
08-25-2015, 10:03 AM
Great value signing, reminds me of a young Artest

Vinylman
08-25-2015, 10:53 AM
I though they'd trade him to be honest

this deal makes it a lot easier to trade him.

kinda shocked he signed this ... I guess he is trading security over more money... definitely would have got at least 12-14 million more over the 4 years if he had waited

FraziersKnicks
08-25-2015, 02:25 PM
Big fan of MKG, good deal.

GiantsSwaGG
08-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Elite defender with room to grow on offense, great deal

MonroeFAN
08-25-2015, 09:43 PM
I originally read this topic at (a place we can't talk about) and was pretty disgusted by the responses. I think it's a fine contract.

SupremeNY.
08-25-2015, 10:02 PM
If he ever develops a jumper this becomes a bargain. If not...well, he's one of the 3-5 best perimeter defenders in the league so it's still a solid deal.

He's good on d but don't overate him, melo and lbj both dropped 60+ on him lol

LakerShow
08-26-2015, 12:03 AM
Lol hornets.

PatsSoxKnicks
08-26-2015, 01:22 AM
Yeah, the only problem with his impact D is that if a team ever feels like it they can just do what Kerr did do Tony Allen. Put their center on T. Allen and simply leave him wide open for an extra player to roam the paint freely. That defense crippled them offensively. Dude didn't even attempt a single 3 this year. You can't get by with that anymore, and it's part of the reason why they have basically the worst offense in the league.

There's a lot of reasons they had the worst offense in the league. Mo Williams having the 2nd worst shot selection in the league doesn't help. Gary Neal too. (I know they traded both) Anyways, surround MKG with more shooting and his defense can be positive enough so that his lack of shooting isn't hurting them. Could also try him at PF, which I saw being floated around.

Sadds The Gr8
08-26-2015, 04:19 AM
The contract is probably an overpay under the previous cap, but under the new cap it's a solid deal.

MonroeFAN
08-26-2015, 07:21 AM
Lol hornets.

Why can't they be more like the lakers?

Vee-Rex
08-26-2015, 10:06 AM
MKG is worth 13 million a year but 10 million a year for Iman Shumpert is an extreme overpay?

PSD logic.

GiantsSwaGG
08-26-2015, 10:24 AM
MKG is worth 13 million a year but 10 million a year for Iman Shumpert is an extreme overpay?

PSD logic.

MKG is better than Shump so yes he deserve more

Vee-Rex
08-26-2015, 10:39 AM
MKG is better than Shump so yes he deserve more

MKG isn't that much better. But you missed my point.

I'm okay with MKG getting 13 and Shumps getting 10. In what universe is Shumps not worth NEARLY 10 and MKG is worth 13?

ManRam
08-26-2015, 12:48 PM
He's good on d but don't overate him, melo and lbj both dropped 60+ on him lol

1. He wasn't an elite defender in 2013-14. He was last year.
2. Two games doesn't matter...even two games like that.

Melo game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeYmRC0hFJc

MKG played 18 minutes that game. Just look at the shots he got vs. MKG. Everything was heavily contested. When he wasn't guarding Melo, it was open looks all day. You can't watched that video and tell me MKG wasn't playing great defense. Melo was just going OFF. The one three in the 3rd off the offensive rebound was the only time MKG didn't have a hand all up in his face. 7 of his 23 made field goals came against him.

LeBron game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmd_vOWQWx4

Same thing. Look at the difference between when MKG was on him and when MKG was off him. Hell, watching these two clips have me thinking more highly of his defensive ability. It's fadeaways and threes off of screens with MKG on him...it's uncontested layups when he's off him. He blew by MKG once.

MKG was a top 3-5 perimeter defenders last year. I stand by that. I think most anything out there would back that claim up. In 2013-14 he wasn't. I didn't say he was.

ewing
08-26-2015, 09:12 PM

PSD logic.

he is not only better, he is younger and may improve. I like Shump and i think in the right spot he can shine but he also is what he is at this point.

ewing
08-26-2015, 09:30 PM
MKG isn't that much better. But you missed my point.

I'm okay with MKG getting 13 and Shumps getting 10. In what universe is Shumps not worth NEARLY 10 and MKG is worth 13?

i got ya. I think Shump is probably really worth about 7 mil to the right team and MKG is more like a 10 mil kind of guy. I also have no problem bumping MKG a little due to his ceiling. he is young and i sure the guys signing the contracts know more about his work ethic then we do. the issue i have with Shump is his game is more suited to be 3 and he not very long for a 3

prodigy
08-27-2015, 10:42 AM
Shump and MKG are both way overpaided lol! Crazy how much avg players make these days. Both are solid young guys but ehh. I hate the ceiling crap. you should be paid for what u can do not what u might do.

prodigy
08-27-2015, 10:45 AM
i got ya. I think Shump is probably really worth about 7 mil to the right team and MKG is more like a 10 mil kind of guy. I also have no problem bumping MKG a little due to his ceiling. he is young and i sure the guys signing the contracts know more about his work ethic then we do. the issue i have with Shump is his game is more suited to be 3 and he not very long for a 3

I kinda disagree. MKG needs to be on a certain type of team to succeed because he can't shoot for crap. He needs to have shooters around him. But i feel like Shump can exist better on any team because he can shoot and drive. Shumps just not consistant enough to be a big time player.

Munkeysuit
08-27-2015, 11:06 AM
MKG is NOT better than Iman Shumpert...Shump can lock down the perimeter just as effectively AND hit the occasional open 3! MKG can't even throw a golf ball into an olympic sized pool.

ewing
08-27-2015, 12:29 PM
I kinda disagree. MKG needs to be on a certain type of team to succeed because he can't shoot for crap. He needs to have shooters around him. But i feel like Shump can exist better on any team because he can shoot and drive. Shumps just not consistant enough to be a big time player.

I think they both need a good fit. That's true for most role players. The cost a good role player that fits isn't that cheap :).

D-Leethal
08-27-2015, 01:39 PM
1. He wasn't an elite defender in 2013-14. He was last year.
2. Two games doesn't matter...even two games like that.

Melo game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeYmRC0hFJc

MKG played 18 minutes that game. Just look at the shots he got vs. MKG. Everything was heavily contested. When he wasn't guarding Melo, it was open looks all day. You can't watched that video and tell me MKG wasn't playing great defense. Melo was just going OFF. The one three in the 3rd off the offensive rebound was the only time MKG didn't have a hand all up in his face. 7 of his 23 made field goals came against him.

LeBron game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmd_vOWQWx4

Same thing. Look at the difference between when MKG was on him and when MKG was off him. Hell, watching these two clips have me thinking more highly of his defensive ability. It's fadeaways and threes off of screens with MKG on him...it's uncontested layups when he's off him. He blew by MKG once.

MKG was a top 3-5 perimeter defenders last year. I stand by that. I think most anything out there would back that claim up. In 2013-14 he wasn't. I didn't say he was.

Where are you drawing the discrepancy in his D from 13-14 to 14-15? Individual defensive stats are a travesty, but his DWS were identical and his DBPM was better in 13-14.

ManRam
08-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Where are you drawing the discrepancy in his D from 13-14 to 14-15? Individual defensive stats are a travesty, but his DWS were identical and his DBPM was better in 13-14.

Eye test mostly. I watched a good deal of Hornets games last year because I was living with a Hornets fan last year.

I guess I was certainly biased by RPM stats, as usual. His DRPM last year was 3.63, trailing only Dray, Tony, Kawai, Middleton among perimeter defenders. 2013-14 it was at 2.07.

I will admit I know a lot less about BPM than RPM, so I can't suggest why there is such a discrepancy there.

Defended Field Goal Percentage was 43.7% last year. It was 44.0% the year prior. Meh again.

Opposing teams posted a 98.8 ORtg with him on the court and a 107.4 with him off of it (-8.6). In 2013-14 those numbers were 102.4 and 105.3 (-2.9) which is certainly less impressive.

I'll back track on the significantly better part, but not the "I don't care about those two great scorers going nuts against the Hornets" part.

Also I will say, more generally, that you'd also just naturally expect him to get better from year 2 to year 3. That's generally how it works.