PDA

View Full Version : Who is the greatest scorer of all time?

zef_captain
08-24-2015, 12:35 AM
Hey guys, obviously theres always talk about the greatest scorers, so after doing some research i came up with a top ten list, interesting to note, kobe, who is mentioned in almost every circle as one of the greatest scorers of all time doesn't crack the top 10 (for ppg). Also just to let you guys know, I'm a lakers fan so im not tryna throw any shade towards Kobe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd2ZIqr9NqY

BKdoubleStacker
08-24-2015, 01:42 AM
He started a total of 7 games in his first 2 seasons.

Take those out and you should get a more accurate ppg

IKnowHoops
08-24-2015, 02:52 AM
He started a total of 7 games in his first 2 seasons.

Take those out and you should get a more accurate ppg

If he was better, he would of started

ewing
08-24-2015, 08:41 AM
lee nailon

JasonJohnHorn
08-24-2015, 08:55 AM
I think we should narrow the field a little.

Wilt, obviously, is in the conversation, generational gaps aside. Bird and Jordan likewise. Durant and LBJ. I mean no disrespect to Kobe, but if Jordan is already in the conversation, Kobe doesn't need to be because Kobe is Jordan light; he does everything Jordan did, but less efficiently. Obviously Kareem is in the conversation as well, and you could throw the Big O in there and likely Jerry West as well, though I'm not sure the case is strong for the latter two.

I think your answer will be among those aforementioned names, but I think there are some underrated scorers, namely Hakeem and Duncan. Duncan, during his 20's, played at a level where he could pretty much score at will, but Pop never put the kind of weight on Duncan that Jackson put on Jordan and Kobe, or that Durant has had on his shoulders. This was to build the team, which one 5 championships. But when you watch Duncan during that time, it is pretty clear that no single defender could stop him from getting a good shot off, and that when he did get a good shot off, he was far more likely to make it than miss it. He was just that good. He didn't have the range or Kevin Love or Larry Bird, granted, but that 15-20 footer he'd nail like clockwork and his post game was the most skilled game in the league at the time (Shaq was more dominant,but that was a size, not a skill, advantage).

The other underrated scorer was Hakeem. The teams he played for did put a heavy load on him, but with perimeter players like Kenny Smith, Mad Max, and Sam Cassell, Rudy T knew it was important to spread the ball around. Also, he had Horry and Thorpe that first title, and Horry and Drexler for the second one. Not to mention Mario Elie. So there was a lot of spreading the floor with 3-point shooters so Hakeem didn't have to work as hard. But anybody who watched him knew he could dance around any defender, and he had the best fade-away jumper I've ever seen in a big man, and a great mid-range shot. If he played in the same era as Wilt, I'm sure he would have been scoring more than Wilt, given that he could also hit free-throws ;-)

I'm sure there are some other names people might want to throw in, like Shaq, or McGrady, but the skill set for Shaq was limited, and McGrady's peak was quite short.

Hawkeye15
08-24-2015, 01:19 PM
Jordan

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Colby Brian

ewing
08-24-2015, 02:58 PM
ricky pierce

Hawkeye15
08-24-2015, 03:32 PM
ricky pierce