PDA

View Full Version : Who was the best defensive pairing ever?

JasonJohnHorn
08-20-2015, 09:15 PM
I noticed another thread asking where CP3 and Blake ranked as a duo, but I find when we look at pairings of players, fans often focus on offense.

I wonder who the best defensive pairings were? Which guys really thrived off each other and played into each other defensively?

Dade County
08-20-2015, 09:34 PM
Whiteside & AD :punish: Oh my bad.

I can't think of a pairing right now but, the entire Pistons D (Bad Boys & 2005 pistons era).

Well... Most people will say Mj & Pippen.

Kashmir13579
08-20-2015, 09:40 PM
Rasheed Wallace and Ben Wallace

KnicksorBust
08-20-2015, 10:09 PM
DJ and McHale

KnicksorBust
08-20-2015, 10:13 PM

I can't think of a pairing right now but, the entire Pistons D (Bad Boys & 2005 pistons era).

Ewing and Oakley were the anchors of a better defense.

Chronz
08-20-2015, 10:16 PM

This

flea
08-20-2015, 10:29 PM
Duncan and Bowen. When they played together, their defenses were ranked in adjusted defensive rating: 1, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 5. 8 seasons and 5 of them they were best in the NBA, generally by a significant margin. They had 3 championships in that span, one of them where they defeated Sheed/Ben. Robinson/Duncan also an answer.

KnicksorBust
08-20-2015, 10:36 PM
Duncan and Bowen. When they played together, their defenses were ranked in adjusted defensive rating: 1, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 5. 8 seasons and 5 of them they were best in the NBA, generally by a significant margin. They had 3 championships in that span, one of them where they defeated Sheed/Ben. Robinson/Duncan also an answer.

Pretty good answer. 90s Knicks had 3 firsts. Slight edge there. But it is tricky giving two guys full credit for an elite team defense. Thibs is a popular current name to show how a coach can greatly impact a defense as well. Riley and Pop deserve credit.

JasonJohnHorn
08-20-2015, 11:08 PM

Obviously I like that answer ;-)

JasonJohnHorn
08-20-2015, 11:11 PM

I'm tempted to say MJ and Pippen... but then I have to ask myself: what about Rodman? That was really a great trio of defenders. I realize Rodman was a little more focuses on rebounds as a Bull, but he still played some great D.

The Pistons teams you mentioned were just so good defensivley across the board. Joe Dumar, Laimbeer, MaHorn, Rodman, Edwards, and to a less extend, Thomas (who could get his share of steals though he gave up a little in height).

And then Big Ben and Tayshuan with Sheed and Chauncey.

On paper, I want to say D-Rob and Rodman or D-Rob and Duncan, but I don't know if it translated that well.

JasonJohnHorn
08-20-2015, 11:11 PM

Hard to argue with Duncan/Bowen.

slashsnake
08-20-2015, 11:23 PM
Nice ones... Hmm.. before my time but early 70's knicks had DeBusherre, Willis Reed and Walt Frazier all together which is just crazy. I saw Jordan/Pippen, what about Rodman/Pippen and Jordan/Rodman?

Or saw Duncan/Bowen... Hmm, Duncan/Robinson?

Bobby Jones/Moses Malone?

McHale/Dennis Johnson?

Blaylock and Mutombo?

Just trying to think of some... Green and Kawhi last year would be my pick that year.

tredigs
08-20-2015, 11:26 PM
Historically probably Hondo/Russell. They basically won every title of the 60's and did not even have a good offense. Always the best D.

tredigs
08-20-2015, 11:28 PM
Nice ones... Hmm.. before my time but early 70's knicks had DeBusherre, Willis Reed and Walt Frazier all together which is just crazy. I saw Jordan/Pippen, what about Rodman/Pippen and Jordan/Rodman?

Or saw Duncan/Bowen... Hmm, Duncan/Robinson?

Bobby Jones/Moses Malone?

McHale/Dennis Johnson?

Blaylock and Mutombo?

Just trying to think of some... Green and Kawhi last year would be my pick that year.
Green/Kawhi for sure are painful to watch your team play against. And these guys don't always play together but Iggy+Draymond is a pretty devastating defensive tandem also.

tredigs
08-20-2015, 11:30 PM
Dave Debusschere with Frazier and/or Reed were supposedly pretty ruthless as well. I haven't watched much of those Knicks on tape though.

FlashBolt
08-21-2015, 12:05 AM
Prime Timmy/Robinson would have been lethal.

MonroeFAN
08-21-2015, 12:22 AM
Really hard to argue Duncan - Bowen.

CousinsEvansDUO
08-21-2015, 12:30 AM
Ron attest/brad miller.

TheNumber37
08-21-2015, 12:42 AM
Any 2/3 Jordan. Pippen. Rodman. 3 of the top 5 defenders IMO

JAZZNC
08-21-2015, 12:43 AM
Green/Kawhi for sure are painful to watch your team play against. And these guys don't always play together but Iggy+Draymond is a pretty devastating defensive tandem also.

I feel like once they were starting together Favors and Gobert fit the bill nicely. It was a small sample size but I'm excited to see what they can do this year.

On topic I feel like Duncan and Bowen or Duncan and Robinson are at the top. I have no idea what the numbers look like but Sampson and Dream sounds nice.

tredigs
08-21-2015, 12:53 AM
Would we rank Duncan/Bowen both inside the top 10 for top big defenders, and top perimeter defenders all time? Probably could. Same for Russell/Hondo I think. Jordan/Pippen as well.

Top 10 wing defenders could be: Jordan/Pippen/Bowen/Hondo/Frazier/Cooper/Moncrief/Robertson/Artest/Payton

Top 10 bigs defenders could be: Russell/Wilt/Hakeem/Robinson/Duncan/Wallace/Rodman/Mutombo/Zo/KAJ

Plenty of room for argument there, but my lists would look something like that. And Rodman could go on either list, but defensively was maybe better as a wing defender in Detroit than anything else from what I've seen.

ewing
08-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Ewing and Oakley

WaDe03
08-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Wade and Arroyo.

Minimal
08-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Mario Chalmers & Joel Anthony

FlashBolt
08-21-2015, 10:17 PM
These Miami Heat trolls have been on a loose lately.

IKnowHoops
08-22-2015, 12:44 AM
This

Naw, Duncan and Drob easily.

basch152
08-22-2015, 01:34 AM
How are more people not saying robinson/duncan? Like what in the actual ****.

Big threes on defense would be a better argument, plenty there to argue.

tredigs
08-22-2015, 02:10 AM

They're a fine choice but I assume because D Rob was a shell of himself after the first few years with Duncan, they really only had a 2-3 year overlap of both being peak level dominant defensive players (and even then D. Rob wasn't near his personal best). Russell/Hondo and other pairings had 5+ years of peak years together as All-Time great defenders.

Shammyguy3
08-22-2015, 12:37 PM
Thibs & not Carlos Boozer :laugh2:

first thought was MJ/Pippen as a Bulls' fan, then I thought of the Wallaces in Detroit, then Duncan/Bowen. It's difficult to say who the best combo was, but generally the bigs have a greater impact defensively and a wing defender slows down the penetration of the primary ball-handler. Because of this, I could see Duncan/Bowen being the best

KnicksorBust
08-22-2015, 05:03 PM
Would we rank Duncan/Bowen both inside the top 10 for top big defenders, and top perimeter defenders all time? Probably could. Same for Russell/Hondo I think. Jordan/Pippen as well.

Top 10 wing defenders could be: Jordan/Pippen/Bowen/Hondo/Frazier/Cooper/Moncrief/Robertson/Artest/Payton

Top 10 bigs defenders could be: Russell/Wilt/Hakeem/Robinson/Duncan/Wallace/Rodman/Mutombo/Zo/KAJ

Plenty of room for argument there, but my lists would look something like that. And Rodman could go on either list, but defensively was maybe better as a wing defender in Detroit than anything else from what I've seen.

DJ and McHale not on either list? I understand you want a traditional C so I get McHale but DJ is a snub.

greg_ory_2005
08-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Zbo and Eddy Curry

tredigs
08-22-2015, 05:13 PM
DJ and McHale not on either list? I understand you want a traditional C so I get McHale but DJ is a snub.

Definitely thought about DJ. Given the names on my list I don't think it's a "snub", but like I said there's plenty of room for argument.

dAngelo
08-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Artest and JO?

JasonJohnHorn
08-22-2015, 07:54 PM

I think because D-Rob had lost his edge by the time Duncan came to town. Had they both been in their prime, then yes. I think that D-Rob was also a little overrated defensively. He was great, don't get me wrong, but I fund that he relied on his athleticism to get blocks after guys had gotten past him. He was still a great rim protector, don't get me wrong, and he wasn't like the chumps who spike the ball into the stands like they are playing volleyball; he often converted his blocks into steals. But I think the Duncan/Bowen duo was really special.

Also, I think the fact that the Spurs gotten eaten up by Shaq three years in a row, when they had what should have been a dominant defensive pairing, reduces the potency of the Duncan/Robinson duo in some eyes, as well as the fact that D-Rob got taken to school by Hakeem in the post season that one year.

Chronz
08-22-2015, 08:03 PM
Artest and JO?good mentioning

Minimal
08-22-2015, 08:56 PM
Artest and JO?
More like most offensive pairing ever. If you know what I mean.

Hawkeye15
08-23-2015, 12:00 AM

first duo that came to mind.

Hawkeye15
08-23-2015, 12:00 AM
I like the mention of DJ, means he isn't forgotten.

Pippen/Rodman is another I will throw out there.

JasonJohnHorn
08-23-2015, 01:23 AM
More like most offensive pairing ever. If you know what I mean.

lol.... I see what you did there.

ewing
08-24-2015, 08:44 AM
good mentioning

I think that was Jackson and Ron's team on that side

kdspurman
08-24-2015, 11:09 AM
I think because D-Rob had lost his edge by the time Duncan came to town. Had they both been in their prime, then yes. I think that D-Rob was also a little overrated defensively. He was great, don't get me wrong, but I fund that he relied on his athleticism to get blocks after guys had gotten past him. He was still a great rim protector, don't get me wrong, and he wasn't like the chumps who spike the ball into the stands like they are playing volleyball; he often converted his blocks into steals. But I think the Duncan/Bowen duo was really special.

Also, I think the fact that the Spurs gotten eaten up by Shaq three years in a row, when they had what should have been a dominant defensive pairing, reduces the potency of the Duncan/Robinson duo in some eyes, as well as the fact that D-Rob got taken to school by Hakeem in the post season that one year.

Robinson was on his way out those 2 series against the Lakers, so using that would not be accurate. (i don't think there was ever 3 consecutive years btw) and in the 01-02 series, he only played 3 games and had already missed like 6 games prior to that. He played very few minutes due to his back problems.

Their 99 run however.. They had one of the best post season runs ever from a defensive standpoint. Only 2x in their 17 (went 15-2 that post season) playoff games did someone score 90, and they allowed 84.7 ppg during the season. That was probably the best season from them, and it helped that Robinson didn't have to play the full season I'm sure.

kdspurman
08-24-2015, 11:10 AM
I like the mention of DJ, means he isn't forgotten.

Pippen/Rodman is another I will throw out there.

Pippen/Rodman for sure

Chronz
08-24-2015, 01:15 PM
I think that was Jackson and Ron's team on that side
Their best year came without Jacko

Jermaine was so underrated defensively, he was the only guy I remember being at the top of charges drawn and blocked shots back then

Jamiecballer
08-24-2015, 01:23 PM
first thing that comes to mind for me is Pippen/Rodman. Insane toughness, rebounding and versatility to cover just about anyone on the court.

ewing
08-24-2015, 01:55 PM
Their best year came without Jacko

Jermaine was so underrated defensively, he was the only guy I remember being at the top of charges drawn and blocked shots back then

i might have been showing some bias. Good points

Tony_Starks
08-24-2015, 06:54 PM
Wade and Lebron

mrblisterdundee
08-24-2015, 09:52 PM
This depends on whether you want a perimeter/post combo. If it's all perimeter defense, it's Pippen and Jordan all the way.
If we're talking about a post/perimeter combo, how about Marc Gasol and Tony Allen, Bruce Bowen and Tim Duncan, Michael Cooper and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Chris Paul and DeAndre Jordan?

Chronz
08-24-2015, 10:11 PM
Im telling you guys Jermaine and Artest were the best of our era. Definitely best Forward tandem, 2 DPOY caliber players. Bowen wasn't that impactful IMO, he was solely a 1v1 stopper, Artest was that and more.

ewing
08-24-2015, 11:54 PM
Im telling you guys Jermaine and Artest were the best of our era. Definitely best Forward tandem, 2 DPOY caliber players. Bowen wasn't that impactful IMO, he was solely a 1v1 stopper, Artest was that and more.

yeah Bowen was a scrub. Btw JO was half a center and Ewing/Oak are by far the best big combo of our era. In fact they are the best of this era period.

mrblisterdundee
08-25-2015, 12:47 AM
yeah Bowen was a scrub. Btw JO was half a center and Ewing/Oak are by far the best big combo of our era. In fact they are the best of this era period.

David Robinson and Tim Duncan might have something to say about that.

PowerHouse
08-25-2015, 02:02 AM
Knee-jerk answers would be Jordan/Pippen or Jordan/Rodman or Rodman/Dumars. Since its so far back in the day nobody will give credit to a duo like Russell/Havlicek but those two would shut **** down in today's NBA still. Sloan/Love were pretty amazing too but didnt amount to much playoff success unfortunately.

mrblisterdundee
08-25-2015, 02:11 AM
Knee-jerk answers would be Jordan/Pippen or Jordan/Rodman or Rodman/Dumars. Since its so far back in the day nobody will give credit to a duo like Russell/Havlicek but those two would shut **** down in today's NBA still. Sloan/Love were pretty amazing too but didnt amount to much playoff success unfortunately.

People probably should include more Celtic duos. We're talking about the team with the most championships, all without one of their players ever leading the league in scoring. Defense.

tredigs
08-25-2015, 02:44 AM
^eh in the 80's their O was just as good or better than their D. But that's definitely the case for the 60's Celtics and my vote is still Russell/Havlicek.

SoxPatsCeltsBs
08-25-2015, 03:16 AM
Not saying they were the best ever, just wanted to drop the names of Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton. Those two were ridiculously fun to watch for the Supersonics.

ewing
08-25-2015, 05:49 AM
David Robinson and Tim Duncan might have something to say about that.

no they don't.

mrblisterdundee
08-25-2015, 10:36 AM
no they don't.

What an elegant retort.
But Tim Duncan has eight All-NBA first team selections, and David Robinson another four. Their first year together, both Robinson and Duncan made the All-NBA second defensive team.
Oakley had one All-NBA defensive first team selection, while Ewing never made the first team. They were never on the same All-NBA defensive team.
As far as defensive pairings, Duncan and Robinson are on another level than Ewing and Oakley.

ewing
08-25-2015, 11:42 AM
What an elegant retort.
But Tim Duncan has eight All-NBA first team selections, and David Robinson another four. Their first year together, both Robinson and Duncan made the All-NBA second defensive team.
Oakley had one All-NBA defensive first team selection, while Ewing never made the first team. They were never on the same All-NBA defensive team.
As far as defensive pairings, Duncan and Robinson are on another level than Ewing and Oakley.

yes your use of copy and paste has put me in my place. Duncan and Robinson played what maybe two years together where both averaged over 30 mins a night? They aren't in the conversation. On the other hand Ewing and Oak were the constants on a team noted for front line toughness and considered one of if not the best defensive team in basketball for about 8 years.

Minimal
08-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Oh please their team wasn't even best defensive team their best year.

PhillyFaninLA
08-25-2015, 12:07 PM
Special mention: Clyde the Glyde and Hakeem

Chronz
08-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Oh please their team wasn't even best defensive team their best year.

They were in the conversation but the Pistons formed one of the all-time great defensive units when they traded for Sheed mid-season, they were stacked with defenders.

JasonJohnHorn
08-25-2015, 02:29 PM
They were in the conversation but the Pistons formed one of the all-time great defensive units when they traded for Sheed mid-season, they were stacked with defenders.

Great point. You can compare 'team' defense when speaking to pairs. I don't know that I would put JO and MWP as the best pairing ever (likely because I might not be giving JO enough credit, or because they didn't have a long run together), but you can't say: "the Pistons had better defense" because while they did, they had a roster chalk full of great defenders: Wallace, Wallace, Prince and Billups were ALL great defenders at that time.... Prince was among the very best defensive SF's in the game; Big Ben won multiple DPOYs and Sheed was a multiple All-Defensive team member.

It's not fair to compare JO and MWP against an entire roster.

PowerHouse
08-25-2015, 04:39 PM
Special mention: Clyde the Glyde and Hakeem

Clyde wasnt known as a good defensive player. Michael Thompson who played with him in Portland says Clyde was way too risky in the passing lanes often times leaving his guy wide open.

flea
08-25-2015, 04:54 PM
Clyde wasnt known as a good defensive player. Michael Thompson who played with him in Portland says Clyde was way too risky in the passing lanes often times leaving his guy wide open.

Not sure how/when this fiction came about, but I suspect it was mainly because he was being compared to Jordan. No he's not as good of a defender as Jordan, but he's one of the better defenders among star players ever. Probably the best rebounding guard of all time, very athletic and long, smart player who racked up blocks and steals, and had periods of very engaged play.

If you consider Kobe, Lebron, or Wade good defenders then you must consider him one too - he's as good as any of them save for maybe Lebron (and Lebron is essentially a PF version of Drexler).

PhillyFaninLA
08-25-2015, 06:28 PM

Didn't know that. When I watched him I thought he was a good defender but I was a bit young

Chronz
08-25-2015, 06:40 PM
If you're pairing dream with anyone it's Mad Max or Sampson

ewing
08-25-2015, 06:55 PM
If you're pairing dream with anyone it's Mad Max or Sampson

mad max was a bad dude

Chronz
08-25-2015, 07:58 PM
mad max was a bad dude
Polarizing dude for sure. He Defended mj better than anyone back then but I'll Never forgive him for pulling a Rondo when they won without him.

mrblisterdundee
08-25-2015, 11:17 PM
yes your use of copy and paste has put me in my place. Duncan and Robinson played what maybe two years together where both averaged over 30 mins a night? They aren't in the conversation. On the other hand Ewing and Oak were the constants on a team noted for front line toughness and considered one of if not the best defensive team in basketball for about 8 years.

No copy and past just research. Like the kind of research that tells you Tim Duncan and David Robinson played together six seasons, winning two championships. Robinson played more than 29 minutes per game all but his last season. He and Duncan both made the second team the year the latter was drafted, and while Robinson wasn't prime anymore, he was still a great defender.
Patrick Ewing made the second defense team three times, and Oakley made the first and second team once each. They never made a team together.

bbcmillionaire
08-26-2015, 12:13 AM
I gotta go with Jordan/pippen/ rodman but I can't believe yawl sleeping on Isaiah and dumars, they were a nightmare with some bruisers down low

xILLN355
08-26-2015, 01:34 AM
Paul George and Roy Hibbert!

slashsnake
08-27-2015, 01:40 AM
No copy and past just research. Like the kind of research that tells you Tim Duncan and David Robinson played together six seasons, winning two championships. Robinson played more than 29 minutes per game all but his last season. He and Duncan both made the second team the year the latter was drafted, and while Robinson wasn't prime anymore, he was still a great defender.
Patrick Ewing made the second defense team three times, and Oakley made the first and second team once each. They never made a team together.

Yeah I got to agree with you. When Duncan first came into the NBA that front line of those two was scary as heck. Even as Robinson's offense took a back seat he was still great on D there. I remember some of those playoff series and guys like Karl Malone and even Shaq were struggling to get off a shot. They just removed the paint. I'm sure that other guy can copy and paste minutes played, but if you saw those two playing together you'd have seen how great they were. What was it? 6 years top 4 in points allowed free throws allowed and 2PT FG%? They just took away all the easy buckets.

ewing
08-27-2015, 06:35 AM
Yeah I got to agree with you. When Duncan first came into the NBA that front line of those two was scary as heck. Even as Robinson's offense took a back seat he was still great on D there. I remember some of those playoff series and guys like Karl Malone and even Shaq were struggling to get off a shot. They just removed the paint. I'm sure that other guy can copy and paste minutes played, but if you saw those two playing together you'd have seen how great they were. What was it? 6 years top 4 in points allowed free throws allowed and 2PT FG%? They just took away all the easy buckets.

they were the same team defensively has Robinson mins and impacted declined and were arguable better with Rasho after he left. The Spurs tiwn towers in the 2000s were very very good. i just think Drob generally is overrated as a defender and was never an irreplaceable piece of the puzzle on that end after TD arrived.

ewing
08-27-2015, 06:36 AM
rodman and sally were a lot fun to watch when they were together.

mightybosstone
08-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Reading over this thread, it's funny to me how many different answers there are to this question. But you know what really stands out? How many of these elite defensive pairings were on some of the greatest teams in NBA history:
60s Celtics: Russell/Havlicek
60s/70s Knicks: Reed/Debusschere/Frazier
80s Celtics: DJ/McHale
80s Pistons: Thomas/Dumars/Rodman/Laimbeer
80s Sixers: Jones/Malone
90s Bulls: MJ/Pippen/Rodman
00s Pistons: Prince/Wallace/Wallace
00s Spurs: Duncan/Bowen
10s Heat: Lebron/Wade

It kind of makes you wonder why teams don't aim for defensive dominance over offensive firepower. Teams like Memphis and Indiana have been pretty damn successful over the years at making deep playoff runs with dominant defenses despite below mediocre offensive performances. And I suppose one could argue that going all out on the offense side of the ball can yield similar results, aka Nash's Suns. But if we had the time to look at the great all-time teams and what makes them successful, I think we'd find that defensive prowess probably takes a slight edge over offense.

Munkeysuit
08-27-2015, 10:47 AM
Rasheed and Big Ben was one of the best I've personally witnessed, Tayshaun was on that team too and that Pistons team was a terror on D.

RaiderLakersA's
08-28-2015, 05:47 PM
Any 2/3 Jordan. Pippen. Rodman. 3 of the top 5 defenders IMO

I was going to say the same. Jordan and Pippen. Rodman just made them downright filthy. You don't usually see tandems of smalls with no big men that are still very effective.

No one will say it, but I'll give Kobe-Shaq some love, too.

Hawkeye15
08-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Not sure how/when this fiction came about, but I suspect it was mainly because he was being compared to Jordan. No he's not as good of a defender as Jordan, but he's one of the better defenders among star players ever. Probably the best rebounding guard of all time, very athletic and long, smart player who racked up blocks and steals, and had periods of very engaged play.

If you consider Kobe, Lebron, or Wade good defenders then you must consider him one too - he's as good as any of them save for maybe Lebron (and Lebron is essentially a PF version of Drexler).

by the time Clyde joined the Rox he wasn't that good of a defender anymore. Not bad by any means, but nothing more than average

flea
08-28-2015, 06:08 PM
by the time Clyde joined the Rox he wasn't that good of a defender anymore. Not bad by any means, but nothing more than average

He wasn't the freak athlete anymore but he was the best wing defender on a championship winning team. That 95 Rockets ring gets underrated sometimes IMO because of how remarkable the 94 one was for Dream. Drexler only played half a season for the Rockets but managed to mesh - even though we've seen experiments of stars joining up go belly up when they had 2-3 seasons to mesh. Then they lost their starting PF and best wing from the prior year for the playoff run.

If not for Drexler's all-around game and ability to fit, Dream's peak, and Horry's Draymond Green stylings 20 years before everyone started calling Draymond a revolutionary player that team would have been one and done. Those 3 carried a giant 2-way load (sounds sexual) for a banged up team.

ewing
08-29-2015, 11:48 AM
Franchise and Marbury