PDA

View Full Version : Ben Cherington: Grade his tenure as GM

papipapsmanny
08-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Yeah so his tenure was somewhat brief, but a whole lot happened.

I am probably higher on him than most and I would grade him out at a B+.

Positives

-Mega Trade with the Dodgers.... really got us out of some huge contracts and deadweight. At the time getting Webster and Rubby looked like an added bonus as they were well regarded, but again the longterm flexibility created was huge

-Won a world Series in 2013. Hell 1 in 4 years is not bad. The Napoli, Victorino, and Gomes signings, along with getting Okajima were all big factors to that team. Peavy trade, Drew/Dempster signings were all little moves that sneakily helped us

-E-Rod for Andrew Miller was a hell of a deal.

-Able to sign Ortiz to a pretty fair deal, that also shut him up, but made it so he had to perform/play to get his money

-He left us a team with a lot of quality young mlb talent, and probably the number 1 farm in baseball, that is pretty good

-Really liked how he developed the prospects, and got them the MLB experience quickly after proving they could do it at AA for a while. It seemed AAA was less important to him than A+ and AA, and it seemed to work

-Wade Miley Trade was underrated, good value for us

Negatives:

-Trading Lackey, and Lester for MLB talent. I sort of understood the idea behind it, but from a value standpoint it was not a good idea at all. Could have netted us some good prospects. I mean a half year of Lester turned into Porcello which seemed good, but now just turned awful.

-3 Last place teams it looks like, though I cannot really fault him for 2012's team too much.

-Hanley/Panda signings, Porcello extension. Now I am sure he wasn't the reason for all three, but I won't give him a pass on all 3 either.

So yeah for me a B+. I wanted him to have more time because again he won a WS and built the number 1 farm, with a team full of young studs. Still early in his GM career and the mistakes came early which you think he will learn from. I hope he gets another GM job somewhere else just to see how he does

Bo Sox Fan
08-20-2015, 09:13 PM
C

- 3 last place finishes out of 4 years with a top 5 payroll in the game is just unacceptable. Not to mention in those non playoff years the team wasn't even competitive and were usually out of the races by the All-Star break each time.

- He did a hell of a job loading up the farm system but we don't have a single pitcher to show for it with the possible future exception of Anderson Espinoza. The book is still out on E-Rod.

- The World Series Championship saved him from being graded a D but then again, the core of that team was %65 Theo Epstein.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-20-2015, 10:43 PM
He helped win us a World Series and built a nice group of young players. I'd take 3 last place seasons if it means winning a World Series.

ruckus16969
08-21-2015, 02:33 AM
C

- 3 last place finishes out of 4 years with a top 5 payroll in the game is just unacceptable. Not to mention in those non playoff years the team wasn't even competitive and were usually out of the races by the All-Star break each time.

- He did a hell of a job loading up the farm system but we don't have a single pitcher to show for it with the possible future exception of Anderson Espinoza. The book is still out on E-Rod.

- The World Series Championship saved him from being graded a D but then again, the core of that team was %65 Theo Epstein.

X2

Trading Lester for Cespedes and Lackey for 2 little leaguers was pretty ******. Can you guys just imagine what our farm would look like today if we got prospects for Lester and Lackey. I mean we got ERod for 2 months of a reliever.

On the other hand he did keep XB Betts Swihart and ERod with us. Castillo and moncada are pretty awesome signing

Then signing Panda was even worse.
HanRam to a lesser extent.

I like the Miley trade he will be a decent 4/5 type guy for us.

Porcello makes me puke every time I think of him.

My grade would be a C-

RedSoxtober
08-21-2015, 03:36 PM
I'm pretty much with PPM. I think that DD is going to get tons of credit for future success that it primarily the result of BC's efforts to build a farm system capable ot sustaining prolonged excellence.

The Trade was obviously a major highlight. While I hate the combination of Panda/HanRam I could have lived with either one individually and I think both bare the fingerprints of a meddlesome LL to some extent.

One of the major things that I appreciate about BC was his sense and style of leadership. He was perfectly willing to stand up and take responsibility for all kinds of negatives while deflecting praise to the players on the field. I believe his strong sense of 'team' won't ever find us reading a tell-all book that points to the miserable backstabbing, double-guessing, and end-runs that took place while he was there.

Wojo
08-21-2015, 05:24 PM
How can his tenure be graded fairly when nobody knows what he was and wasn't allowed to do on his own?

I always got the impression that he couldn't wipe his own *** without permission from LL!

My only thought on this subject is that since Theo left, for the 2nd time, due to LL meddling things have went downhill for the Sox fast. So basically since LL has had no push back from anyone regarding personel decisions I would give an F.

Norieaga
08-21-2015, 06:08 PM
Good:
-All of 2013
-Miley tade
-Farm system
-Miller for E-Rod
-Nick Punto megadeal

Bad:
-3 huge contracts this past offseason (Sandoval, Ramirez, Porcello)
-Farm system weaker on pitching
-Lackey trade

Jury is still out on Sandoval, Ramirez, and Porcello. I think they're talented players that will rebound. And I say this even though I find Sandoval irritating. Seriously, how the hell does an athlete decide to not condition himself? Its the most basic thing. He's not trying to be a football linebacker.

Grade: B-B+

We DID get a world series win. That counts for a lot.

celticsman2009
08-21-2015, 06:21 PM
C

I think Kopech could be good too when he's not suspended.

-Lavigne43-
08-22-2015, 03:01 PM
C

Good

Cody Ross signing
Dodgers trade
Jonny Gomes signing
Shane Victorino signing
Koji Uehara signing
Stephen Drew signing
Mike Napoli signing
Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez
Devers, Espinoza, Guerra international signings

Meh

Melancon and 3 minor leaguers for Hanrahan and Holt - Holt unexpectedly saves this trade from being a disaster
Iglesias, Montas, other minor leaguers for Jake Peavy
Jake Peavy and cash for Edwin Escobar and Heath Hembree
Wade Miley for Rubby De La Rosa, Allen Webster and Raymel Flores
Ryan Hanigan for Will Middlebrooks
Anthony Ranaudo for Robbie Ross Jr
MLB drafts

Bad
Josh Reddick, Miles Head and Raul Alcantara for Andrew Bailey and Ryan Sweeney.
Jed Lowrie and Kyle Weiland for Mark Melancon
Nick Punto signing
Marco Scutaro for Clayton Mortensen
Daniel Bard, SP
Aaron Cook - minor league signing, but everyone knew he was the 5th starter and he got significant innings
Horrible 2012 bullpen, Aceves closer?
Kevin Youkilis for Brent Lillibridge and Zach Stewart
Not trading Cody Ross
Ryan Dempster signing
A.J. Pierzynski signing
Edward Mujica signing
Grady Sizemore signing
Stephen Drew mid-2014 signing
Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes and cash for Yoenis Cespedes
John Lackey, Corey Littrell and cash to St. Louis Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly
Pablo Sandoval signing
Hanley Ramirez signing
Rick Porcello for Yoenis Cespedes, Alex Wilson and Gabe Speier
Porcello Extension
Masterson signing
Twice did not sell Koji at the trade deadline
Did not trade De Aza

To be determined

Rusney Castillo big money signing
Yoan Moncada big money signing

ruckus16969
08-22-2015, 03:48 PM
I
C

Good

Cody Ross signing
Dodgers trade
Jonny Gomes signing
Shane Victorino signing
Koji Uehara signing
Stephen Drew signing
Mike Napoli signing
Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez
Devers, Espinoza, Guerra international signings

Meh

Melancon and 3 minor leaguers for Hanrahan and Holt - Holt unexpectedly saves this trade from being a disaster
Iglesias, Montas, other minor leaguers for Jake Peavy
Jake Peavy and cash for Edwin Escobar and Heath Hembree
Wade Miley for Rubby De La Rosa, Allen Webster and Raymel Flores
Ryan Hanigan for Will Middlebrooks
Anthony Ranaudo for Robbie Ross Jr
MLB drafts

Bad
Josh Reddick, Miles Head and Raul Alcantara for Andrew Bailey and Ryan Sweeney.
Jed Lowrie and Kyle Weiland for Mark Melancon
Nick Punto signing
Marco Scutaro for Clayton Mortensen
Daniel Bard, SP
Aaron Cook - minor league signing, but everyone knew he was the 5th starter and he got significant innings
Horrible 2012 bullpen, Aceves closer?
Kevin Youkilis for Brent Lillibridge and Zach Stewart
Not trading Cody Ross
Ryan Dempster signing
A.J. Pierzynski signing
Edward Mujica signing
Grady Sizemore signing
Stephen Drew mid-2014 signing
Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes and cash for Yoenis Cespedes
John Lackey, Corey Littrell and cash to St. Louis Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly
Pablo Sandoval signing
Hanley Ramirez signing
Rick Porcello for Yoenis Cespedes, Alex Wilson and Gabe Speier
Porcello Extension
Masterson signing
Twice did not sell Koji at the trade deadline
Did not trade De Aza

To be determined

Rusney Castillo big money signing
Yoan Moncada big money signing

Thanks for all the info must have taking at least an hour if not longer. Love your posts most of the time

xnick5757
08-23-2015, 04:28 PM
C-

WS was great! 3 last place finishes, not so much.

And the Hanley deal was awful (with the caveat that I don't know if that was all BC or if LL & co were involved)

ruckus16969
08-24-2015, 03:05 AM
He did more wrong than right by mile

Nomar
08-24-2015, 11:19 AM
He did more wrong than right by mileHe put us in a position to be extremely competitive for the next decade, and Dombrowski will get all the credit for it. Grading a GM solely on the present is stupid.

He came in, turned a crappy team he was given into a WS winner, then had two down years in which he developed talent and added talent in what became the game's best farm.

B+ for me.