PDA

View Full Version : Cherington out, Dombrowski New President of Baseball Ops

-Lavigne43-
08-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Alex Speier ‏@alexspeier 11m11 minutes ago
Red Sox announce Dave Dombrowski joining immediately as president of baseball operations.

Alex Speier ‏@alexspeier 10m10 minutes ago
Cherington will step down as GM but assist Dombrowski during transition.

Surprising timing. I guess Dipoto will be in the running to be the next GM. Farrell is presumably out as well, which makes this timing pretty bad since this is his first day for treatment. Also I'd put all my money into Cherington joining the Cubs.

papipapsmanny
08-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Not a fan of this move at all. Worried about the farm for sure now

j-bay
08-18-2015, 09:59 PM
Holy ****!
@PeteAbe

#RedSox announce they have hired Dave Dombrowski as president of baseball operations. Effective immediately

BC is out

nocal_lbm
08-18-2015, 10:02 PM
Not a fan of this move at all. Worried about the farm for sure now

the Panda signing seemed like a panic move. I think it cost BC his job.

Dombrowski is inheriting alot of talent and dead weight.

xnick5757
08-18-2015, 10:03 PM
Love it. DD is an awesome trader

BC was decent but nothing special

j-bay
08-18-2015, 10:09 PM
@ScottLauber

Dombrowski in statement: "There was no option that stood out as clearly as the chance to come to Boston and win with the #RedSox"

Like him already.

-Lavigne43-
08-18-2015, 10:11 PM
Only thing that worries me is the farm getting ruined.

-Lavigne43-
08-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Bob NightengaleVerified account
‏@BNightengale
Frank Wren is the leading contender to be GM under Dave Dombrowski with the #RedSox now that Ben Cherington is leaving.

Lets hope that is complete speculation and ********.

Bo Sox Fan
08-18-2015, 10:19 PM
Holly **** !

Finally change!

AI
08-18-2015, 10:28 PM
Only thing that worries me is the farm getting ruined.

Read on Twitter that he said "he won't conduct business the same way he did in Detroit". It's been reported that Detroit's owner, Ilitch, wanted to win a World Series before old age caught up with him. I'm perfectly fine with Dombrowski as President of Baseball Ops. I'm just a bit saddened by the fact that Ben decided to step down as GM even after DD wanted him to stay. I'm assuming that Dipoto has the inside track for the GM vacancy.

If we hire Frank Wren I'm going to ****ing lose it.

Soxfan85
08-18-2015, 10:34 PM
Read on Twitter that he said "he won't conduct business the same way he did in Detroit". It's been reported that Detroit's owner, Ilitch, wanted to win a World Series before old age caught up with him. I'm perfectly fine with Dombrowski as President of Baseball Ops. I'm just a bit saddened by the fact that Ben decided to step down as GM even after DD wanted him to stay. I'm assuming that Dipoto has the inside track for the GM vacancy.

If DD knows the track record I had to look him up he was good in the beginning then fell apart I really don't see DD hiring Frank at all. I don't even know who is available.

Vincent33
08-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Kind of surprised by this news at this point int the season. Had to do something, so might as well get a start on it while the names are out there to hire. I'm not a fan of Wren for a couple reasons. A big one is b/c he looks like the *** hole villain tycoon from any random number of 80s films.

-Lavigne43-
08-18-2015, 10:46 PM
I find it hard to believe that Dipoto is completely isolated from this move. Dipoto getting hired was only 6 days ago, ownership had to know Dombrowski was likely going to be hired at that point.

Soxfan85
08-18-2015, 10:47 PM
le ‏@BNightengale
Dave Dombrowski talked seriously with 2 teams at the owners meetings; was offered the job on Sunday. He will hire a GM, per @anthonyfenech

Bo Sox Fan
08-18-2015, 10:56 PM
I like that he actually has a couple weeks before the August trade deadline to start shaking things up already and get a head start on the winter retool.

ruckus16969
08-18-2015, 11:00 PM
Wow pretty crazy. Ben looked great at first but starting making head scratching decisions in past year and half or so. Not trading Lester and Lackey for prospects being the first that comes to mind. Then signing Panda and HanRam being another. Not trading Koji Nap and Victorinio at the TD being another big mistake grant it Nap and Victorino are gone our return was horrible at least for Victorino.

ruckus16969
08-18-2015, 11:03 PM
Although without knowing what we know now I would have done the HanRam thing again. Would never guesse he was going to be THIS horrible of a left fielder

superfio
08-18-2015, 11:03 PM
the Panda signing seemed like a panic move. I think it cost BC his job.

Dombrowski is inheriting alot of talent and dead weight.

Congratz, DD is stud and a class act.

If DD is "only" hired for Presidency, and actually will appoint a GM he oversee and mentor, hope its not Alex Anthopoulos our Jays GM currently on an expiring deal. They have a real close connection and admiration over years of trades and dialogue between Detroit and Toronto.

On Panda, Jays were real close to signing Panda before choosing Boston and we landed Josh Donaldson after. I was so worried that moment we needed an upgrade at 3B but never figured Donaldson bolts in out of nowhere. Not sure if AA was just driving price up before having another move under the radar.

Pablo Sandoval earns 20M with 4 more seasons to go

.257 / .308 / .390 / .698 10 HR 39 RBI

Brett Lawrie nets 1.9M with 2 more years thru arbitration

.263 / .299 / .399 / .698 11 HR 46 RBI

Josh Donaldson gets 4.3M for 2015 thru arbitration

.292 / .361 / .560 / .921 31 HR 87 RBI

RedSoxtober
08-18-2015, 11:06 PM
Cherington's failure was his inability to evaluate external talent. FA signings were typically poor. Even the 2013 signings were not that great overall; they just all played to the "if all goes well" side of the line for a single season. His strength as a developer of talent, however, will be sorely missed. Dombroski is his polar opposite. I hope he has some decent player development people around him who can temper his enthusiasm for dealing prospects before we go from #1 ranking to #31 without a sustained pipeline behind a few glory years.

homie564
08-18-2015, 11:07 PM
A little upset Ben stepped down. I don't think this was his fault at all. DD is the PERFECT baseball ops guy. Can't think of really anyone I would prefer that would've been at all realistic. Would have really liked Ben at GM though. PLEASE no Frank Wren. I'd be fine with Dipoto

Bo Sox Fan
08-18-2015, 11:08 PM
Let the Miguel Cabrera to Boston trade rumors begin.

j-bay
08-18-2015, 11:30 PM
How awkward is this for Porcello. As they walk in the clubhouse.
Hey guys did you hear?! Dombrowski is the new President of Operations
Porcello: ****!!!!!!!

RedSoxtober
08-18-2015, 11:55 PM
CJ Wilson, Pujols, Hamilton, Blanton (2-14, 6.04)... there's a lot of questionable stuff in Dipoto's tenure at LAA. And, for all the excitement, his teams averaged something like 87 wins.

Frank Wren's teams averaged 91 wins over a five year span on a significantly lower budget before the decision was made to gut the team and restart with prospects.

I honestly don't understand why the first guy is getting all kinds of love and the latter all kinds of grief as potential GM.

AI
08-19-2015, 12:01 AM
CJ Wilson, Pujols, Hamilton, Blanton (2-14, 6.04)... there's a lot of questionable stuff in Dipoto's tenure at LAA. And, for all the excitement, his teams averaged something like 87 wins.

Frank Wren's teams averaged 91 wins over a five year span on a significantly lower budget before the decision was made to gut the team and restart with prospects.

I honestly don't understand why the first guy is getting all kinds of love and the latter all kinds of grief as potential GM.

Arte Moreno is the most middling owner in baseball. I'll give Dipoto, who has a reputation as an analytical guy, the benefit of the doubt. If we hired Anthopoulus away from Toronto I'll be ecstatic. That guy is a stud.

-Lavigne43-
08-19-2015, 12:09 AM
Cherington's failure was his inability to evaluate external talent. FA signings were typically poor. Even the 2013 signings were not that great overall; they just all played to the "if all goes well" side of the line for a single season. His strength as a developer of talent, however, will be sorely missed. Dombroski is his polar opposite. I hope he has some decent player development people around him who can temper his enthusiasm for dealing prospects before we go from #1 ranking to #31 without a sustained pipeline behind a few glory years.

Agreed, his evaluation of major league players was very questionable. Other than the Dodgers trade, which in effect turned out to be a salary dump, what clear victories in trades did he have? EdRo for Miller is the only one I can think of.

I can't call Ben a strong stat orientated guy, because too many of his moves were statistically questionable at the time they were made. He seemed all too open to acquiring Cespedes type talents. Sandoval was an obvious horrible move from the start, he had a mountain of red flags that I explain in depth during the offseason. I was shocked when we signed him because it did not make any statistical sense. I understood the Hanley acquisition. We desperately needed offense, and I thought it was a decent gamble. But signing BOTH Hanley and Sandoval was an insane risk.

His pitching evaluation was off as well. I was hoping to spin Joe Kelly in another deal as soon as we got him, because his peripherals always revealed a guy that was overachieving with the Cardinals, and despite his velocity, he did not get many swings and misses. We acquired a lot of starting pitchers that don't get a lot of swings and misses. I didn't like Porcello when we were first connected to him, but reading the conversation about him I was convinced, and still believe it was a solid move for a solid pitcher. It's bad luck, but when you have solid moves blowing up in your face along with questionable moves blowing up in your face, then you have a massive problem.

The biggest problem with Cherington is that he stockpiled on too many average and mediocre established players to put around a talented, but aging core built by Theo. It went magnificent when he lucked out and all those acquisitions had career years, exceeding even your best expectations. But unfortunately for Ben, luck evens out. Instead of getting career years from these acquisitions he got the opposite, and players performed below his worst expectations. Our disastrous rotation exemplifies this. In the end Ben had way too long a list of bad moves.

Bo Sox Fan
08-19-2015, 12:15 AM
I wonder how soon the new management will put Porcello and Sandoval through the trade waiver wire.

-Lavigne43-
08-19-2015, 12:24 AM

Those huge signings were reported at the time as being forced by Moreno as a reaction to the Dodgers. There were a lot of reports about how Moreno personally took control of those negotiations. Dipoto's resignation reminded me as a decision as Theo's. He had an owner who would force moves on him, as well as forcing him to have a manager that did not listen to him.

Dipoto made a lot of good pitching acquisitions for the Angels. Hector Santiago, Andrew Heaney, Greinkie trades all come to mind as really good trades. He has a pretty good trade record. The Trout extension was also a tremendous move.

j-bay
08-19-2015, 12:27 AM
@JeffPassan
Sources: Blue Jays had serious conversations with Dave Dombrowski. Red Sox knew this, gave Dombrowski full power over baseball operations.
30m ago

EEasyA
08-19-2015, 12:45 AM
Good to see big moves being made. Time will tell if it works out or not. Goodbye Ben Cherington.

bagwell368
08-19-2015, 06:46 AM
Wow pretty crazy. Ben looked great at first but starting making head scratching decisions in past year and half or so. Not trading Lester and Lackey for prospects being the first that comes to mind. Then signing Panda and HanRam being another. Not trading Koji Nap and Victorinio at the TD being another big mistake grant it Nap and Victorino are gone our return was horrible at least for Victorino.

It never ceases to amaze me how people think Cherington was the sole author of all the moves. He was hamstrung constantly by that dick LL among others. Remember JH saying LL was in charge?

The stupid Boston Herald in the the headline piece even makes the howler of a mistake of claiming Cherington hired Valentine when everybody that pays attention and has any sort of memory knows it was LL's move, and Cherington was kept from hiring his guy.

I don't even know if BC is a good GM or not. He seems to have done well (with a good staff) at the development side, but who knows about his Major League abilities. I don't think we saw them, and I don't think the whole Lester mess was his idea either.

bagwell368
08-19-2015, 06:50 AM
Agreed, his evaluation of major league players was very questionable. Other than the Dodgers trade, which in effect turned out to be a salary dump, what clear victories in trades did he have? EdRo for Miller is the only one I can think of.

I can't call Ben a strong stat orientated guy, because too many of his moves were statistically questionable at the time they were made. He seemed all too open to acquiring Cespedes type talents. Sandoval was an obvious horrible move from the start, he had a mountain of red flags that I explain in depth during the offseason. I was shocked when we signed him because it did not make any statistical sense. I understood the Hanley acquisition. We desperately needed offense, and I thought it was a decent gamble. But signing BOTH Hanley and Sandoval was an insane risk.

His pitching evaluation was off as well. I was hoping to spin Joe Kelly in another deal as soon as we got him, because his peripherals always revealed a guy that was overachieving with the Cardinals, and despite his velocity, he did not get many swings and misses. We acquired a lot of starting pitchers that don't get a lot of swings and misses. I didn't like Porcello when we were first connected to him, but reading the conversation about him I was convinced, and still believe it was a solid move for a solid pitcher. It's bad luck, but when you have solid moves blowing up in your face along with questionable moves blowing up in your face, then you have a massive problem.

The biggest problem with Cherington is that he stockpiled on too many average and mediocre established players to put around a talented, but aging core built by Theo. It went magnificent when he lucked out and all those acquisitions had career years, exceeding even your best expectations. But unfortunately for Ben, luck evens out. Instead of getting career years from these acquisitions he got the opposite, and players performed below his worst expectations. Our disastrous rotation exemplifies this. In the end Ben had way too long a list of bad moves.

You are usually spot on, but, assuming BC was the Captain of his ship and taking him to task does not take into account the reality of the way things were during his tenure. As if signing BV was his idea, as if LL didn't constantly alter choices over there... Epstein couldn't hack LL and quit twice and he had a track record to back him up, BC had no such track record and no real way to counter LL, JH, or perhaps even BJ's influence.

BGeer091
08-19-2015, 07:49 AM
The biggest thing that bothered me with Cherington was the handling of Lackey and Lester. There was rumors of Harper for Lester. Miller for Lackey. When I heard those rumors I officially hated Cherington because of the deals he had completed. I also hated both HanRam and Sandavol signings. I'd have preferred to just stick with Cespedes.

I like the D.D. hire and I hope we hire Wren as well. Braves are my second fav team and IMO Wren build up a great core that ownership decided to gut. The good thing about Wren is he knows when to move a prospect.

Bos_Sports4Life
08-19-2015, 08:47 AM
Bleh, this move kind of scares me to be honest.

The red sox OBVIOUSLY needed a shakeup..but getting rid of larry from his ceo position was the key imo, unless Ben.C really was in on the moves during the past yr (Porcello/Pablo etc) but I have a hard time thinking he was.

The red sox have a stacked farm with a new CEO that loves trading away young talent for established vets, I don't know about that. Just seems too short sighted for my blood.

RedSoxtober
08-19-2015, 09:05 AM
I wonder how soon the new management will put Porcello and Sandoval through the trade waiver wire.
They've probably already been through. August waiver wire sees something like 90+% of MLB placed on it. Names aren't supposed to be made public until they clear so teams use it to try to sneak guys through for a trade as well as to gauge interest for an offseason trade.

I wouldn't be so sure that Dombroski would move Porcello given their time together in DET. The trade during the offseason made sense given the amount of pitching that DET had, their lack of power in the OF, and the expiring contract.

Dipoto made a lot of good pitching acquisitions for the Angels. Hector Santiago, Andrew Heaney, Greinkie trades all come to mind as really good trades. He has a pretty good trade record. The Trout extension was also a tremendous move.
I probably came across as too negative on Dipoto. I'm not negative on him as much as unclear on why a guy with a better track record on less money has been getting such negative treatment. There's good on both sides and the results, over against perceived strengths, must speak at some level.

The stupid Boston Herald in the the headline piece even makes the howler of a mistake of claiming Cherington hired Valentine when everybody that pays attention and has any sort of memory knows it was LL's move, and Cherington was kept from hiring his guy.

IIRC, Cherington wasn't even at the infamous lunch meeting where BV essentially landed the job (definitely not at the dinner a couple of days before where LL was all doughy eyed with him). Silly for them to suggest it.

celticsman2009
08-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Just food for thought. He's won some pretty good trades, however, no World Series.

Tigers

December 11, 2001 traded Juan Encarnacion and Luis Pineda to the Cincinnati Reds for Dmitri Young
July 5, 2002 in a three team trade sent Jeff Weaver to the New York Yankees for Carlos Pena, Franklyn German and Jeremy Bonderman from the Oakland A's
January 11, 2003 traded Mark Redman and Jerrod Fuell to the Florida Marlins for Nate Robertson, Gary Knotts, Rob Henkel
January 8, 2004 traded Ramon Santiago and Juan Gonzalez (minors) to the Seattle Mariners for Carlos Guillen
June 8, 2005 traded Ugueth Urbina and Ramon Martinez to the Philadelphia Phillies for Placido Polanco
July 31, 2006 traded Brian Rogers to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Sean Casey
October 29, 2007 traded Jair Jurrjens and Gorkys Hernandez to the Atlanta Braves for Edgar Renteria
December 5, 2007 traded Andrew Miller, Cameron Maybin, Mike Rabelo, Burke Badenhop, Dallas Trahern and Eulogio De La Cruz to the Florida Marlins for Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera
February 5, 2008 traded Mike Hernandez to the Texas Rangers for Armando Galarraga
July 30, 2008 traded Ivan Rodriguez to the New York Yankees for Kyle Farnsworth
December 10, 2008 traded Matt Joyce to the Tampa Bay Rays for Edwin Jackson
December 8, 2009 traded Curtis Granderson to the New York Yankees and Edwin Jackson to the Arizona Diamondbacks in a three team deal for Phil Coke, Austin Jackson, Max Scherzer and Daniel Schlereth
June 1, 2010 traded Dontrelle Willis to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Billy Buckner
July 28, 2010 traded Giovanni Soto to the Cleveland Indians for Jhonny Peralta
July 30, 2011 traded Chance Ruffin, Charlie Furbush, Casper Wells and Francisco Martinez to the Seattle Mariners for Doug Fister and David Pauley
August 15, 2011 traded Cole Nelson and Lester Oliveros to the Minnesota Twins for Delmon Young
July 23, 2012 traded Jacob Turner, Rob Brantly and Brian Flynn to the Miami Marlins for Omar Infante and Anibal Sanchez
July 30, 2013 traded Avisail Garcia to the Chicago White Sox and Brayan Villarreal to the Boston Red Sox in a three team deal for Jose Iglesias
November 20, 2013 traded Prince Fielder to the Texas Rangers for Ian Kinsler
December 2, 2013 traded Doug Fister to the Washington Nationals for Ian Krol, Robbie Ray and Steve Lombardozzi
July 23, 2014 traded Corey Knebel and Jake Thompson to the Texas Rangers for Joakim Soria
July 31, 2014 traded Austin Jackson to the Seattle Mariners and Drew Smyly and Willie Adames to the Tampa Bay Rays in a three team trade for David Price
December 5, 2014 traded Robbie Ray and Domingo Leyba to the Arizona Diamondbacks in a three team trade for Shane Greene from the New York Yankees
December 11, 2014 traded Rick Porcello to the Boston Red Sox for Yoenis Cespedes, Alex Wilson and Gabe Speier
December 11, 2014 traded Eugenio Suarez and Jonathon Crawford to the Cincinnati Reds for Alfredo Simon
July 30, 2015 traded Joakim Soria to the Pittsburgh Pirates for JaCoby Jones
July 30, 2015 traded David Price to the Toronto Blue Jays for Daniel Norris, Matt Boyd and Jairo Labourt
July 31, 2015 traded Yoenis Cespedes to the New York Mets for Luis Cessa and Michael Fullmer

Tigers

February 6, 2004 signed Ivan Rodriguez as a free agent from the Florida Marlins
November 18, 2004 signed Troy Percival as a free agent from the Anaheim Angels
February 7, 2005 signed Magglio Ordonez as a free agent from the Chicago White Sox
December 15, 2005 signed Kenny Rogers as a free agent from the Texas Rangers
December 22, 2005 signed Todd Jones as a free agent from the Florida Marlins
January 19, 2010 signed Jose Valverde as a free agent from the Houston Astros
February 22, 2010 signed Johnny Damon as a free agent from the New York Yankees
November 19, 2010 signed Al Alburquerque as a free agent from the Colorado Rockies
November 19, 2010 signed Joaquin Benoit as a free agent from the Tampa Bay Rays
November 26, 2010 signed Victor Martinez as a free agent from the Boston Red Sox
December 9, 2011 signed Octavio Dotel as a free agent from the St. Louis Cardinals
January 26, 2012 signed Prince Fielder as a free agent from Milwaukee Brewers
November 16, 2012 signed Torii Hunter as a free agent from the Los Angeles Angels
December 4, 2013 signed Joe Nathan as a free agent from the Texas Rangers
March 24, 2014 signed J.D. Martinez as a free agent from the Houston Astros

Oakmont_4
08-19-2015, 09:50 AM

I think Ben was sick of not really being the true "GM". I'm just speculating here but I think it was a similar situation with Theo...Where upper management/ownership were really calling the shot and Ben was getting all the blame for the bad moves. I think Panda has Henry written all over him, 100%. Same with Hanley. Similar to Theo's last offseason and being "pushed"/forced to sign Crawford to a terrible deal. I think he was just sick of it. He wasn't allowed to run and build the team the way he wanted to and bringing in Dombrowski isn't going to change the way Henry operates.

I won't say I dislike Dombrowski...But I look at him as very similar to Ben...Just more experienced and more familiar with Henry (from the Marlins days). Hopefully Henry can back off and let Dombrowski do his thing. However, like Ben, Dombrowski notoriously whiffs on Free Agents signings. He's a pretty good dealer and can build up a farm. But to me, that's not what we need at this point...We already have the #1 farm in baseball.

I do NOT want Wren as the GM...Though I read somewhere the hired "GM" will really just be an assistant to Dombrowski, dealing more with the admin side of things. DD will be in control of all baseball operations, including team building.

Now we just wait for Jim Leyland to be named manager :oldguy: - puke

Oakmont_4
08-19-2015, 09:59 AM

Spot on. Though, I do think Henry and LL were behind the Pablo and HanRam moves. They're just too out of character for Ben. I agree with your assessments though. Ben relied to much on the mid tier Free Agent type and hoped/prayed to get career years out of them.

Bo Sox Fan
08-19-2015, 10:17 AM
Lol, Leyland could die next week.

It's nice to know there are new ideas on the horizon. I can see Dombrowski thinking outside the box and NOT pick up Buchholz option, freeing up another $12+ million to then turn and buy himself his own rotation by bringing in his boy David Price, then sign a new #2 like Samaridjia. Just let the kids play offence with Papi, Han Ram & Panda spread among it.

Price
Samaridjia
Rodriguez
Porcello
Miley

Maybe he thinks outside the box again and uses the farm system to acquire a legitimate cost controlled bat at a position of need? The possibilities are endless now without Cherington and Luchino.

-Lavigne43-
08-19-2015, 11:43 AM
I could see Farell staying as manager if his health allows him. The Tigers hired Ausmus, who was our second choice after Farrell. We also interviewed Gene Lamont, who is a Tigers coach. I believe they interviewed many of the same names.

RedSoxtober
08-19-2015, 01:08 PM
It's nice to know there are new ideas on the horizon. I can see Dombrowski thinking outside the box and NOT pick up Buchholz option, freeing up another $12+ million to then turn and buy himself his own rotation by bringing in his boy David Price, then sign a new #2 like Samaridjia. Just let the kids play offence with Papi, Han Ram & Panda spread among it.

I think that your plans/hopes for signing two of the top FA pitchers on the market are a bit unrealistic but the idea of cutting ties with Buchholz and signing someone like Price for a net increase of only $12M-15M per year is a good one. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a dominant LHP teaching some of E-Rod/Owens/Johnson the ropes.

I think the #2 name is more likely to be a trade target who is more cost effective in the short run.

gaughan333
08-19-2015, 01:12 PM
The biggest thing that bothered me with Cherington was the handling of Lackey and Lester. There was rumors of Harper for Lester. Miller for Lackey. When I heard those rumors I officially hated Cherington because of the deals he had completed. I also hated both HanRam and Sandavol signings. I'd have preferred to just stick with Cespedes.

I like the D.D. hire and I hope we hire Wren as well. Braves are my second fav team and IMO Wren build up a great core that ownership decided to gut. The good thing about Wren is he knows when to move a prospect.

Which harper? You certainly can not be referring to bryce.

Nomar
08-19-2015, 03:05 PM
Lmao yeah there was no credible Harper for a half season of Lester rumor. Dombrowski got Norris+ for Price and that's as good as we could've done.

As long as we don't hire Wren or Towers I'll be content. Need a better balance between scouting and analytics. We could use a JD Martinez or Scherzer type find from Dombrowski if he has one of those in the tank.

j-bay
08-19-2015, 03:11 PM
So it seems like DD loves Defense, thinks E-Rod can be an ace, wants a #1 type starter, and loves the Betts-Bradley-Rudney trio.

tigers.6
08-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Greetings from a Tigers poster. You all should be pretty happy with the signing of DD. It will be interesting to see what he does for you guys, especially with one of the best farm systems in the bigs. Was sad to see him go because he has done a lot with the Tiger's organization but I do believe it was the right move, time for a change.

I think Ben was sick of not really being the true "GM". I'm just speculating here but I think it was a similar situation with Theo...Where upper management/ownership were really calling the shot and Ben was getting all the blame for the bad moves. I think Panda has Henry written all over him, 100%. Same with Hanley. Similar to Theo's last offseason and being "pushed"/forced to sign Crawford to a terrible deal. I think he was just sick of it. He wasn't allowed to run and build the team the way he wanted to and bringing in Dombrowski isn't going to change the way Henry operates.

I won't say I dislike Dombrowski...But I look at him as very similar to Ben...Just more experienced and more familiar with Henry (from the Marlins days). Hopefully Henry can back off and let Dombrowski do his thing. However, like Ben, Dombrowski notoriously whiffs on Free Agents signings. He's a pretty good dealer and can build up a farm. But to me, that's not what we need at this point...We already have the #1 farm in baseball.

I do NOT want Wren as the GM...Though I read somewhere the hired "GM" will really just be an assistant to Dombrowski, dealing more with the admin side of things. DD will be in control of all baseball operations, including team building.

Now we just wait for Jim Leyland to be named manager :oldguy: - puke

Care to explain the free agent busts under DD? He made huge signings that ultimately led to them making it to multiple WS. And to say he can build up a farm is absolutely asinine. The man never did that for the Tigers and is a huge reason they were sellers at this years deadline and not buyers.

February 6, 2004 signed Ivan Rodriguez as a free agent from the Florida Marlins
November 18, 2004 signed Troy Percival as a free agent from the Anaheim Angels
February 7, 2005 signed Magglio Ordonez as a free agent from the Chicago White Sox
December 15, 2005 signed Kenny Rogers as a free agent from the Texas Rangers
December 22, 2005 signed Todd Jones as a free agent from the Florida Marlins
January 19, 2010 signed Jose Valverde as a free agent from the Houston Astros
February 22, 2010 signed Johnny Damon as a free agent from the New York Yankees
November 19, 2010 signed Al Alburquerque as a free agent from the Colorado Rockies
November 19, 2010 signed Joaquin Benoit as a free agent from the Tampa Bay Rays
November 26, 2010 signed Victor Martinez as a free agent from the Boston Red Sox
December 9, 2011 signed Octavio Dotel as a free agent from the St. Louis Cardinals
January 26, 2012 signed Prince Fielder as a free agent from Milwaukee Brewers
November 16, 2012 signed Torii Hunter as a free agent from the Los Angeles Angels
December 4, 2013 signed Joe Nathan as a free agent from the Texas Rangers
March 24, 2014 signed J.D. Martinez as a free agent from the Houston Astros

The one that sticks out the most is the Fielder signing and the only reason they made that signing was because vmart went down with a big injury and Mr. I made that call. After one season, he was able to trade away that horrible contract and get a great player in Kinsler.

I can see Dombrowski some how getting rid of Panda and/or Hanley, even with those horrible contracts he will get it done. He will also most likely make a huge signing for a #1 pitcher, always been an aspect that he values a ton.

Bo Sox Fan
08-19-2015, 05:11 PM
Masterson just got flat out released. I wonder if Craig is next.

Hee hee, this should be fun.

-Lavigne43-
08-19-2015, 05:25 PM
Also I have to say, getting someone like AA from Toronto to be the GM is simply not going to happen. Dombrowski is going to be the baseball operations decision maker, not the GM. You are not going to get a strong GM like AA when Dombrowski will be making the decisions.

Wojo
08-19-2015, 05:36 PM
With DD in charge, if he does sign AA from the BJs in the offseason the Red Sox will most likely be left with zero valuable specs this time next year.

I have a hard time thinking of a good in house player developed by either of them outside of Verlander. They both deal specs for vets so be prepared.

Fortunately for the Sox alot of their moves pan out tho but it may be painful for fans who fall in love with specs.

Nomar
08-19-2015, 06:19 PM
Also I have to say, getting someone like AA from Toronto to be the GM is simply not going to happen. Dombrowski is going to be the baseball operations decision maker, not the GM. You are not going to get a strong GM like AA when Dombrowski will be making the decisions.
I agree. Toronto may make him their president, especially now that they missed on Dombrowski.

I'm hoping for Dipoto. He's young, analytical, and is the type with something to prove. If he crushes it, you have someone ready to step in DD's shoes when he retires.

papipapsmanny
08-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Again just worried about who gets traded away here. Ben gave us a WS and left us with a hell of a farm

I want to keep Bogaerts/Betts/Swihart/Moncada/Devers at all costs. Don't want to trade Guerra/Espinosa either.

I think dealing one of E-Rod/Owens, along with Johnson, Margot, Kopech, Travis, Marrero, JBJ, Barnes, and Shaw offers more than enough to acquire 2 good players.

E-Rod, Margot, Travis, and Shaw could possibly land Sonny Gray. Johnson, Kopech, JBJ, and Marrero could possibly get someine like Carrasco.

Honestly the only one I'd be more willing to throw in if it was for a guy like Carrasco/Gray/or that type would be Guerra, because I don't know if he does anything like he is doing with the bat again

Bo Sox Fan
08-19-2015, 06:41 PM
Anthopolous has run a muck in Toronto until 'this' seasons trade deadline when he completely dumped his entire farm system for a chance to play in a winner take all wild card game that they might not even win to get into the playoffs.

- Noah Syndergaard + Travis d'Arnaud for R.A. Dickey, really?

- What's left of the Miami blockbuster after dumping his farm there for Josh Johnson and Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle? Gross.

I want nothing to do with him even if we had the chance.

nocal_lbm
08-19-2015, 08:00 PM
how long before Shaw has more RBI's than Sandoval? SMH

Bo Sox Fan
08-19-2015, 09:47 PM
Where was this offence in the first half of the season, good God :drool:

Chili Davis must be walking on eggs shells with the recent changes and decided to get off his thumb and start doing his job.

Nomar
08-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Anthopolous has run a muck in Toronto until 'this' seasons trade deadline when he completely dumped his entire farm system for a chance to play in a winner take all wild card game that they might not even win to get into the playoffs.

- Noah Syndergaard + Travis d'Arnaud for R.A. Dickey, really?

- What's left of the Miami blockbuster after dumping his farm there for Josh Johnson and Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle? Gross.

I want nothing to do with him even if we had the chance.
The Miami trade was fine. Buehrle has been solid, they sold high on Nicolino who's always been overrated, and the biggest loss was Hech.

I knew the Dickey trade would be bad because I never trusted Dickey's Cy Young year. Just a dumb trade.

I also don't agree with trading Norris for two months of Price unless he knows something about Norris that makes him think he'll bust.

He's definitely overrated at the moment, but AA isn't too bad. I think he ends up as Toronto's president of baseball ops anyway.

papipapsmanny
08-20-2015, 05:46 PM
I'm still really worried about trading guys away.

With BC You knew betts, Bogaerts, and guys like that were going no where.

We were in a position to maybe be bad/mediocre again next season but pretty damn good for a long time after that. I just hate how were are doing this move as the team is in the middle of its growing pains for players like Betts/Swihart/E-Rod/Shaw/JBJ/Owens.

We literally may have watched the whole process of JBJ and Bogaerts successfully adjusting to the league.

With BC I felt he would have traded people like Margot/Johnson/Travis and Marrero in a packaged deal for a good young pitcher, but now I fear for just about everyone no named Betts/Bogaerts being traded away.

There is no way DD doesn't come in as the new guy and see all these assets to play with, and doesn't trade a bunch of them away... not a chance. He just won the equivalent of the baseball lottery, he is going to splurge and I am afraid of that

Bo Sox Fan
08-20-2015, 06:03 PM
In DD's recent comments, he's already praised Betts, Bogaerts, Castillo, Bradley & Swihart while calling E-Rodriguez a future ace. It doesn't sound like any of those players are going anywhere.

It's guys like Devers, Margot, Johnson, Owens, Guerra, Marrero & Shaw that he'll likely utilize in trade to bring in some serious major league talent.

Bos_Sports4Life
08-20-2015, 07:53 PM
In DD's recent comments, he's already praised Betts, Bogaerts, Castillo, Bradley & Swihart while calling E-Rodriguez a future ace. It doesn't sound like any of those players are going anywhere.

It's guys like Devers, Margot, Johnson, Owens, Guerra, Marrero & Shaw that he'll likely utilize in trade to bring in some serious major league talent.

Espinoza, Moncada, and Devers should all be close to untouchables imo.

AI
08-20-2015, 08:07 PM
I'm hoping DD can pull of a deal similar to the one Anthopoulos pulled off for Tulo. Using a big contract, add some prospects to the package and acquire a frontline starter or a legit middle of the order bat.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-20-2015, 10:39 PM

Yup, just like Theo and Jed in Chicago. This was probably the reason why BC left too, which is fair that he doesn't want to be just another voice with a new guy now.

RedSoxtober
08-21-2015, 03:51 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with this.

This part I think infers a bit too much. To my knowledge he really only talked at length about the youngsters on the MLB payroll so I wouldn't press to far on the guys on the farm.

That said, his high praise for XB ("no need for a SS for a long time") suggests that Marrero, Guerra, and Marco Hernandez could all be moved in the near future. MLB depth at 2B/SS can be had cheap so there's no reason not to parlay their highly regarded skills into something more valuable.

Margot also got a tangential mention I believe. There was a reference along the lines of "future centerfielders" or something along those lines. Whatever the exact phrase I recall thinking of Margot and to a lesser extent Benintendi. Margot's overall line at AA is just okay so he could be two years from impacting the MLB roster. That might merit holding onto.

I don't know why Devers and Shaw would be on the list. I'd peg Devers at roughly 3yrs from MLB (he's struggling of late which suggests a need to build up to the 162 game grind) which is right around the time that we could move him to 3B. Or maybe Chavis. Either way it currently dovetails nicely with Panda's certain departure. Whatever the case, these guys didn't have someone mentioned as looking good at the MLB level so I'm not sure we'd move them considering the organizational weakness at the two spots. (Even after saying that, Shaw's value may never be higher so I could see him moving along).

Ownes could definitely be packaged and he's the guy I'd most likely try to move as well right now. The uncertainty around Johnson might be the only thing that slows that train.

-Lavigne43-
08-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Dombrowski said in a MLBN interview that he tried to trade for JBjr, but ended up with Gose instead. It will be interesting to see if the team has a stronger view of JBjr being part of the future. After last season it seemed like the regime under Cherington completely gave up on JBjr. It was strongly rumored that they tried to trade him for Charlie Furbush during spring training.

Also it will be interesting to see what Dombrowski does with international signings. The Tigers didn't spend much internationally, but that could be an owner thing. Under Henry he will be able to open the checkbooks for anyone internationally.

ruckus16969
08-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Espinoza, Moncada, and Devers should all be close to untouchables imo.

I doubt Moncada will ever be traded

j-bay
08-23-2015, 02:50 PM
I think we could get something done for Gray using Owens, Margot, Marrero and another prospect.

ruckus16969
08-23-2015, 03:25 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with this.

This part I think infers a bit too much. To my knowledge he really only talked at length about the youngsters on the MLB payroll so I wouldn't press to far on the guys on the farm.

That said, his high praise for XB ("no need for a SS for a long time") suggests that Marrero, Guerra, and Marco Hernandez could all be moved in the near future. MLB depth at 2B/SS can be had cheap so there's no reason not to parlay their highly regarded skills into something more valuable.

Margot also got a tangential mention I believe. There was a reference along the lines of "future centerfielders" or something along those lines. Whatever the exact phrase I recall thinking of Margot and to a lesser extent Benintendi. Margot's overall line at AA is just okay so he could be two years from impacting the MLB roster. That might merit holding onto.

I don't know why Devers and Shaw would be on the list. I'd peg Devers at roughly 3yrs from MLB (he's struggling of late which suggests a need to build up to the 162 game grind) which is right around the time that we could move him to 3B. Or maybe Chavis. Either way it currently dovetails nicely with Panda's certain departure. Whatever the case, these guys didn't have someone mentioned as looking good at the MLB level so I'm not sure we'd move them considering the organizational weakness at the two spots. (Even after saying that, Shaw's value may never be higher so I could see him moving along).

Ownes could definitely be packaged and he's the guy I'd most likely try to move as well right now. The uncertainty around Johnson might be the only thing that slows that train.

I agree with just about all of this. But the one sentence that gets me scratching my head is that Shaws value may never be this high so you would consider moving him.

This teams top 3 needs going into the offseason are SP, BP, and 1B. So in my opinion the only way we should trade Shaw is if it's part of a package for a Joey Votto type 1B. HanRam is not going to be a good 1B. I would love to see Shaw give Shaw a fair chance at the job. He may end up being 30+ HR kinda guy with lots of doubles and good OBP. I would go into next season with him as our starting 1B and see what he can do.

Then I would try to trade Panda and sign Davis to play 3B and LF

I'd go into the season with HanRam as a LF/DH with Ortiz being a bench bat. I know 13m is a lot to pay a bench bat but it would give HanRam a break at playing the OF to preserve his health. Ortiz may not be happy with the roll but for Gods sake he is over 40 and just don't have the bat he used to. Specially with just about every time he gets up to bat every team plays the shift on him.

A 3,4,5,6 HanRam Ortiz Shaw Davis could shadow that of Torontos fantastic 4

With some type of Betts, Pedey, Castillo, XB hitting in front of those guys that's allot of RBIs which means tons of runs which means lots of wins.

Maybe Cinci may be interested in a package of Shaw, Miley, Johnson and maybe a couple lower level prospects for Votto. That would be about 10 years worth of ML ready SP and a guy to step right in to take Vottos place. Plus salary relief. But I would like to give Shaw a shot first. The kid maybe the guy

Bo Sox Fan
08-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Pablo wouldn't make any sense for Cincinnati with Todd Frazier at 3B.

I'd think they might be a rare team willing to take a chance on Porcello rebounding in the National League just to rid themselves of Votto's length in contract.

Porcello + Shaw for Votto?

xnick5757
08-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Hopefully Ortiz retires... Love him, but he's old and if we can't move Panda or Han Ram the team desperately needs that DH spot

ruckus16969
08-23-2015, 08:02 PM
Hopefully Ortiz retires... Love him, but he's old and if we can't move Panda or Han Ram the team desperately needs that DH spot

Perfectly said but we all know he won't do that. He is one of my top 10 players to ever play. But he just isn't what he used to be. He would be a great bench bat. Let HanRam DH and play some LF

-Lavigne43-
08-23-2015, 08:08 PM
After a horrible start Ortiz has completely turned it around. His offensive production is basically the same as it was last year. There's no way he retires.

ruckus16969
08-23-2015, 08:15 PM
Doubt it hopefully he'll except a bench bat role. I'd even keep him around for a couple more years as well

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-23-2015, 09:35 PM
Ya, sitting your arguably best hitter is obviously a good idea for both parties :rolleyes:

Seriously, Ortiz has been mashing the ball this summer. There's no reason to give up on him yet and he's already stated that he plans to comeback next season.

ruckus16969
08-24-2015, 03:11 AM
He has had a hot 2 months power wise. If you want a guy hitting -.200 until the end of June when he still only hits .200 but does hit a lot of HRs?? I'd like to replace that and let him get 300/350 chances off the bench. He could hit RHP maybe or something along those lines

RedSoxtober
08-24-2015, 12:37 PM
Also it will be interesting to see what Dombrowski does with international signings. The Tigers didn't spend much internationally, but that could be an owner thing. Under Henry he will be able to open the checkbooks for anyone internationally.

He scored pretty well with the international market in his time with the Marlins. I think that it's most likely a contextual issue rather than a specific pattern for him. Aren't our hands tied in the international market after signing Moncada?

RedSoxtober
08-24-2015, 12:50 PM
I agree with just about all of this. But the one sentence that gets me scratching my head is that Shaws value may never be this high so you would consider moving him.

This teams top 3 needs going into the offseason are SP, BP, and 1B. So in my opinion the only way we should trade Shaw is if it's part of a package for a Joey Votto type 1B. HanRam is not going to be a good 1B. I would love to see Shaw give Shaw a fair chance at the job. He may end up being 30+ HR kinda guy with lots of doubles and good OBP. I would go into next season with him as our starting 1B and see what he can do.

I just don't see a track record in the minors that suggests he will sustain his current hot streak. I suspect that he will be a lot like Middlebrooks; once teams figured out how to exploit him he never recovered. If I am right then his long term value for the Sox is greater in trade now than as 1B next year.

I agree that 1B is the biggest offseason uncertainty for positional players. However, uncertainty does not necessarily mean a crisis. They COULD try HanRam there and gamble that he can move around the bag without hurting himself. They could also slide Panda over there. They could look for a place holder and fast track Sam Travis (who has hit at every level so far 53/58 games with a hit since his promotion to AA I think).

Whatever the case, I assume that the 1B solution will be a low cost one to complement at least one overpriced contract (Panda/HanRam) that will not get moved. Shaw fits that and I would not hate him staying for that purpose though I prefer to see him as an overvalued trade piece at the moment.

-Lavigne43-
08-24-2015, 01:02 PM
He scored pretty well with the international market in his time with the Marlins. I think that it's most likely a contextual issue rather than a specific pattern for him. Aren't our hands tied in the international market after signing Moncada?

I believe it's just for this current signing period. I think we can binge again next July

AI
08-24-2015, 10:22 PM
Would anyone here trade Hanley and a prospect to the Reds for Votto? He's got a pretty big contract and the Reds are clearly rebuilding. I just love me some Joey Votto.

homie564
08-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Would anyone here trade Hanley and a prospect to the Reds for Votto? He's got a pretty big contract and the Reds are clearly rebuilding. I just love me some Joey Votto.

If the reds would even consider that a little bit, I'd do it without even thinking. I don't even really care which prospect we gave up as long as it's not Moncada (it'd have to be a good prospect)

Bo Sox Fan
08-24-2015, 11:23 PM
Hanley, Shaw, Barnes for Votto.

He's the perfect left handed bat with a ridiculous OBP year after year to slot in the 2 spot of the lineup.

homie564
08-24-2015, 11:28 PM

He's the perfect left handed bat with a ridiculous OBP year after year to slot in the 2 spot of the lineup.
I'd really have to believe its cost more than that. I have a hard time believing it wouldn't cost Devers/Margot or at least a Bradley Jr. Type player

RedSoxtober
08-25-2015, 12:28 PM

Even though he's still hitting well, $200M for his ages 32-40 seasons is not attractive to me. Just way too many years over which it could go bad.

Bo Sox Fan
09-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Good God could you imagine if Cherington had went through with the Jackie Bradley Jr / Charlie Furbush swap?

A potential 5 WAR position player player for a lousy reliever?

-Lavigne43-
09-05-2015, 10:02 PM
It's quotes like this that make me worry about him trading players he should not trade. He talks about "small trades", yet the discussions involve players other teams really want, and people within our organization really don't want to trade.

“I think it’s a very good talent base,” Dombrowski said. “I’ve talked to some clubs about some small deals and it’s amazing how many names they can throw at me that they like from within our organization, which is a good sign. And then those same names that our guys don’t want to trade. So that’s a good sign. I don’t know myself really, other than just the reports and reading them. But I’m encouraged by that part of it. Again, it’s not going to change. Somehow we’re going to have to address pitching, we’re going to have to address bullpen. I don’t think the main answers are going to come from that group of talent at this point. But it’s good to have that talent base.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/clubhouse_insider/2015/09/dave_dombrowski_red_sox_no_closer_to_hiring_new_gm

RedSoxtober
09-08-2015, 09:39 AM
I think, or maybe hope, that you're misreading that. What I get from the quote is that DD is attempting to make "small trades" and that the requests from the other side are for names that the player development guys do not want to move. In other words, this seems to be a tacit endorsement from the industry that we have a great farm system.

The place where that could break down is that he does not view any of them as addressing the pitching problem. There's no telling where he could go with that.

RedSoxtober
09-10-2015, 02:52 PM
The Red Sox announced a trio of front office changes on Wednesday. With former pro scouting director Jared Porter having been hired by the Cubs, assistant director of pro and international scouting Gus Quattlebaum was promoted to direct the Sox’ pro scouting department. The Sox also created two new positions, promoting Brian Bannister – who’d been working for the Sox as a pro scout and analyst – to the position of director of pitching analysis and development, while also promoting area scout Chris Mears to the role of pitching crosschecker.

As Nick Cafardo writes, these personnel moves demonstrate both a comfort with maintaining continuity with the pre-existing Red Sox front office structure along with a commitment by new president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski to non-traditional analytical approaches to talent evaluation.

Bannister was considered something of a trailblazer during his major league career for his willingness to employ advanced analytics in pursuit of performance edges. He’s also well versed in biomechanical analyses as well as evolving fields of examination such as spin rates. Yet as a former big leaguer and the son of another big league pitcher (Floyd Bannister, who pitched for Dombrowski’s White Sox in the 1980s), he also has a solid traditional scouting foundation. Dombrowski suggested that the creation of the position is intended to help top prospects more successfully navigate the transition from minor league to major league success.

Meanwhile, Dombrowski’s willingness to embrace continuity is noteworthy in another aspect. While the new Sox president of baseball operations said that he hasn’t kicked off his interview process for GM candidates, the fact that he’s retaining key members of the front office is taken by baseball officials around the game as a promising sign for the GM candidacy of current Red Sox assistant GM Mike Hazen. Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston writes that Hazen is the right man for the job, and that John Farrell should be brought back as manager.Alex Speier

ruckus16969
09-11-2015, 08:09 PM

He would be perfect for us.

theGhost-isGone
09-11-2015, 09:05 PM
I agree, I like Votto a lot as a fit for this team but I'd want to swap Sandoval more than Ramirez. I like Hanley's chance at DH more than Pablo's, as when we signed Sandoval we figured he'd at least represent his gold glove value defense for a decent part of the beginning of his contract. His value at 1B/DH is nil IMO.

I'd add to the package if it meant moving Sandoval instead, and netted us Champan in return. Not sure about his contract status after the year, but we need some serious BP presence.

ruckus16969
09-14-2015, 08:42 PM
What if Shaw turns out being as good as Votto

RedSoxtober
09-15-2015, 09:08 AM
What if Shaw turns out being as good as Votto

What if he turns out being as good as Middlebrooks?
G: 75, PA: 286, BB: 13, K: 70, .288/.325/.509, 2B: 14, HR: 15, OPS+: 121
G: 46, PA: 166, BB: 12, K: 35, .270/.325/.520, 2B: 8, HR: 10, OPS+: 123

Shaw seems to be the classic case of a kid who gets hyped because of a hot start and oversold because that start distorts the rest of his work. He's hitting .220/.278/.440 with 12K in 54PA this month.

celticsman2009
09-15-2015, 01:00 PM
Still cant believe the White Sox outbid us for Jose Abreu