PDA

View Full Version : Jonas Valanciunas, Raptors Finalizing $60M+ Extension

spreadeagle
08-18-2015, 12:27 AM
Jonas Valanciunas has reportedly taken a leave from his duties with the Lithuanian national team to complete his extension with the Toronto Raptors.

Valanciunas became eligible for an extension with the Raptors this offseason.

An agreement is not yet in place, but the two sides are in advanced discussions on a four-year deal worth more than $60 million. - https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/633387269013901312

bucketss
08-18-2015, 12:47 AM
cheaper than kanter

kingsdelez24
08-18-2015, 04:18 AM
cheaper than kanter

Pity, he's better too

ghettosean
08-18-2015, 07:04 AM
Great value sign for the Raps!

MonroeFAN
08-18-2015, 08:15 AM
Not a Jonas guy, but I think it's a great contract.

He and Carroll are going to be locked up with the same contract. Kind of funny.

2-ONE-5
08-18-2015, 08:42 AM
overrated, prob overpaid

MonroeFAN
08-18-2015, 09:01 AM
Don't see how anyone can think he's overpaid if this is true. Following today's NBA standards. His floor is an efficient double double.

aman_13
08-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Looks like nothing is official yet but if the reports are true, then this is a great contract.

Minimal
08-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Thats a steal for Raptors. Great contract, they should stick with him, but make changes with the rest of the team.
He is a beast, double double machine and he only just turned 23. His last seasons PER is 20.7 that's gonna say something. With more touches/playing time he will be efficient 20/12 guy.

Hawkeye15
08-18-2015, 10:07 AM
crazy to me that Otis Thorpe would have basically made $12-15 million a year today.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-18-2015, 10:07 AM
Robbery.

Tony_Starks
08-18-2015, 10:12 AM
Goob job for Jonas and the Raps. Solid signing.

nycericanguy
08-18-2015, 10:39 AM
Thats a steal for Raptors. Great contract, they should stick with him, but make changes with the rest of the team.
He is a beast, double double machine and he only just turned 23. His last seasons PER is 20.7 that's gonna say something. With more touches/playing time he will be efficient 20/12 guy.

that;s an extremely optimistic prediction...

Just because a guy is efficient in a smaller role doesn't mean he can be a 20/12 guy if given more time/touches, if it were that simple then TOR would have done it already. There are reasons he only plays 26mpg and only gets off a few shots. He's just not creative or fast enough and he's often unaware on defense. He's a limited player right now. It's a solid contract because everyone is getting paid now and he's still young enough to improve, but "beast, double double machine, and 20/12"? are we talking about the same player here?...lol

Raps18-19 Champ
08-18-2015, 10:49 AM
that;s an extremely optimistic prediction...

Just because a guy is efficient in a smaller role doesn't mean he can be a 20/12 guy if given more time/touches, if it were that simple then TOR would have done it already. There are reasons he only plays 26mpg and only gets off a few shots. He's just not creative or fast enough and he's often unaware on defense. He's a limited player right now. It's a solid contract because everyone is getting paid now and he's still young enough to improve, but "beast, double double machine, and 20/12"? are we talking about the same player here?...lol

Jonas would be a 20 and 10 player by now if he played under a different coach.

nycericanguy
08-18-2015, 10:54 AM
Jonas would be a 20 and 10 player by now if he played under a different coach.

I know a lot of TOR fans don't like Casey, but i dont think thats fair... I've never seen Jonas and thought he could be a 20/10 guy or an elite center. He looks solid, but not spectacular or elite.

Young enough to improve but he's played close to 30mpg the last 2 years, it's not like he's in Casey's doghouse. I dont think he does anything at an elite level to suggest he can be an elite scorer at C. There are only a handful of C's that score 20ppg and even fewer that also average 10rpg.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-18-2015, 11:01 AM
I know a lot of TOR fans don't like Casey, but i dont think thats fair... I've never seen Jonas and thought he could be a 20/10 guy or an elite center. He looks solid, but not spectacular or elite.

Young enough to improve but he's played close to 30mpg the last 2 years, it's not like he's in Casey's doghouse. I dont think he does anything at an elite level to suggest he can be an elite scorer at C. There are only a handful of C's that score 20ppg and even fewer that also average 10rpg.

He is in Casey's doghouse. Most of his points come in the first 3 quarters and rarely plays in the fourth. That's 8 minutes and a few more FGA he's missing out because Casey just doesn't like him. They actually have a rule that they can't give him the ball if he's not deep inside the post. Whenever he's asked about Jonas in the press conference as to why he doesn't play, he can't even give a real answer. He's in the dog house for sure. Even if it isn't 20 and 10, he can be pretty close to it.

You don't have a guy shooting 57% and limit his FGA. Shooting more FGA at like 54% is better than limiting his FGA and him shooting 57% considering it's Derozan or Lowry who would get that other FGA.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-18-2015, 11:16 AM
Raptors should look to replace DeRozan with a better shooter.

Jamiecballer
08-18-2015, 12:23 PM
He is in Casey's doghouse. Most of his points come in the first 3 quarters and rarely plays in the fourth. That's 8 minutes and a few more FGA he's missing out because Casey just doesn't like him. They actually have a rule that they can't give him the ball if he's not deep inside the post. Whenever he's asked about Jonas in the press conference as to why he doesn't play, he can't even give a real answer. He's in the dog house for sure. Even if it isn't 20 and 10, he can be pretty close to it.

You don't have a guy shooting 57% and limit his FGA. Shooting more FGA at like 54% is better than limiting his FGA and him shooting 57% considering it's Derozan or Lowry who would get that other FGA.

if he didn't like him he wouldn't play the first 3 quarters. it's silly to say he doesn't like him, but he definitely doesn't trust him on the floor defensively in the 4th.

mike_noodles
08-18-2015, 12:37 PM
Not a big fan of the deal.

Vee-Rex
08-18-2015, 12:37 PM
Really like Jonas Valanciunas. #FREE VALLY

nycericanguy
08-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Masaii seems to be going ALL IN with this core, not sure that's a good idea.

GiantsSwaGG
08-18-2015, 12:40 PM

How is he in the dog house when he plays over 26 mpg? Maybe the reason he doesn't play in the 4th quarter is because he's a liability on defense

mike_noodles
08-18-2015, 12:41 PM

This is a huge issue for me. It makes it seem like coach and GM are not on the same page.

dalton749
08-18-2015, 01:12 PM

If he played for a young lottery team looking to develop rather than win, 20/10 would be doable for him. The defensive system didn't fit him last year which is why they preferred to go with an Amir/Patterson front court, it was nothing personal with Casey.
As for not being elite, his rebounding is near elite, and he was the most efficient post player in the league last year. He does struggle with his passing and defense outside of the paint however.
Per 36 he put up 16.5/12, with a usage rate below 20%. Once he can handle around 25% he will get to that elite level

aman_13
08-18-2015, 02:01 PM
Masaii seems to be going ALL IN with this core, not sure that's a good idea.

He definitely wants to give the core one more chance. It will be interesting to see what Ujiri does with DeRozan next yr. I guess it will depend on how they do this season.

nycericanguy
08-18-2015, 03:29 PM
He definitely wants to give the core one more chance. It will be interesting to see what Ujiri does with DeRozan next yr. I guess it will depend on how they do this season.

last year was supposed to be their chance.

it's a huge risk to even wait til next year with DD... they should trade him this year... if not they risk losing him for nothing or having to pay him like a superstar, which he's not. And you know some team will offer $20m+ with the cap going up and everyone having cap space. I would have looked to move Jonas and DD before giving them 35-40m combined, even with the cap going up that's still a huge chunk of money for those two.

I mean Jonas/Carroll/DD/Lowry are all solid players, but that's not a core you want to be locked into and paying $70m to with no cap space.

LanceUpperCut
08-18-2015, 05:25 PM
This is a great deal for Jonas he is still 2-3 years away from his ceiling to me. I really do hate how Casey used him (and many others) last year but hopefully this season will be different.

aman_13
08-18-2015, 05:39 PM

it's a huge risk to even wait til next year with DD... they should trade him this year... if not they risk losing him for nothing or having to pay him like a superstar, which he's not. And you know some team will offer $20m+ with the cap going up and everyone having cap space. I would have looked to move Jonas and DD before giving them 35-40m combined, even with the cap going up that's still a huge chunk of money for those two.

I mean Jonas/Carroll/DD/Lowry are all solid players, but that's not a core you want to be locked into and paying $70m to with no cap space.

Fair points, but i would argue that the core is paid at market value and Lowry is actually underpaid considering what he will do production wise. The cap will continue to rise and Ujiri will have the flexibility to add a major piece to put the team over the top. The question is whether or not that core is good enough, some will argue that it is and some say it is not. At this point I'm on the fence.

dalton749
08-18-2015, 06:20 PM

I doubt there's anything to worry about with derozan leaving if they'll pay him.
I think it'll all depend on how the Knicks do this year if they should stick with it. If it looks like the raptors may get a top 5 pick out of them, there's a lot of pfs at the top of the draft. Getting a potential star that can fit right in to the starting lineup of a winning team could work out very well for now and the future.
Plus their bench is full of good contracts

0nekhmer
08-18-2015, 08:01 PM
JV gets iced by not only his teammates but the coach. As a player you've got to lose confidence thus affecting every aspect of your game. You could tell every time he got the ball down low he would immediately panic because if he misses he won't get another touch. This pretty much was the same for every player outside of Lowry demar and Lou Williams. I blame Lou the most and Casey and I'm glad 1/2 of them is gone

EDUTEXANS
08-18-2015, 09:27 PM
I usually don't like most of rookie extensions, but with the cap going up, it's a different story.

The reason I don't like teams extending players who are coming off rookie scale is because it kills flexibility for no reason. Unless you won't have cap space anyway (not the case for almost every team next offseason) or you feel like you're getting a huge steal, I don't see the point, as the player will be a restricted FA.

I really don't get why the Pelicans extended Davis, for example. Let him hit RFA market, and you will have a couple of days to spend some money, having to deal with his QO cap hold only, instead of a max salary. That can make a huge difference.

But on this case, Uriji probably feels like $15M now is a huge steal, considering the cap going up next year. I'd say he's right, unfortunately. I say unfortunately because that still seems like a lot of money, and next year's free agency will get ugly with teams just throwing money around.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-18-2015, 10:02 PM
if he didn't like him he wouldn't play the first 3 quarters. it's silly to say he doesn't like him, but he definitely doesn't trust him on the floor defensively in the 4th.

My bad, was trying to say "he doesn't like his skillsets", which he doesn't.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-18-2015, 10:05 PM
How is he in the dog house when he plays over 26 mpg? Maybe the reason he doesn't play in the 4th quarter is because he's a liability on defense

He's capable of playing more than 26 minutes and should be playing more than 26 minutes. Yet Casey plays him less minutes for some false reasons he has. That's why he's in the doghouse.

Casey plays a lot of other players who are bad defensively. Not to mention he actually took out Jonas for Chuck Hayes and Tyler Hansbrough for some stupid reason.

kingsdelez24
08-19-2015, 12:44 AM

He's capable of playing more than 26 minutes and should be playing more than 26 minutes. Yet Casey plays him less minutes for some false reasons he has. That's why he's in the doghouse.

Casey plays a lot of other players who are bad defensively. Not to mention he actually took out Jonas for Chuck Hayes and Tyler Hansbrough for some stupid reason.

I'll never understand Casey's deal with Jonas and even James Johnson. They'd be lethal next season of they played Jonas 30+ minutes a game and started James Johnson ar power forward, but he never will. I doubt he'll even give Johnson more than 10 minutes a game

MonroeFAN
08-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Ill never understand why random people on the internet think they're more qualified than professional coaches.

Maybe he's not as good as you think he is?

aman_13
08-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Val loses playing time because Casey doesn't trust him defensively against smaller lineups.

bucketss
08-19-2015, 12:38 PM
Ill never understand why random people on the internet think they're more qualified than professional coaches.

i guess when lawrence frank was benching drummond, drummond wasn't good enough?. coach is not always right.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2015, 01:16 PM

Lol that's stupid. So every time a professional makes a mistake, they aren't allowed to be criticized by fans?

Jonas has already shown his worth. He's being limited because Casey doesn't know how to use him.

Even then, there are plenty who are knowledgeable in the sport who praise Jonas frequently.

Coaches are wrong like all the time. But sure, I guess since they are professional coaches, they are right at everything they do.

MonroeFAN
08-19-2015, 07:07 PM
i guess when lawrence frank was benching drummond, drummond wasn't good enough?. coach is not always right.

When he was a rookie? How is that relevant? And no, Drummond most likely wasn't good enough.

MonroeFAN
08-19-2015, 07:08 PM
Casey is likely the best coach the Raptors have ever had (or close). I just think it's funny how your fans want to pick him apart as if they know more than he does.

BHF
08-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Casey is likely the best coach the Raptors have ever had (or close)[/B].I just think it's funny how your fans want to pick him apart as if they know more than he does.

:laugh: You don't watch basketball much do you?

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2015, 10:57 PM
Casey is likely the best coach the Raptors have ever had (or close). I just think it's funny how your fans want to pick him apart as if they know more than he does.

Lol him being the Raptors most successful coach doesn't mean anything. You've never agreed with a coach before? Even Phil Jackson made mistakes all the time. Mike Brown is the best coach Cleveland has ever had (or close). And he's ****ing terrible.

MonroeFAN
08-20-2015, 05:10 AM
Are you ready to provide insight to this conversation and not just "lol life's funny sometimes".

No I don't think I provide more NBA knowledge than a professional coach, I also don't think your opinions are worth much. Do the math. He has maximized your roster, and provided your team with the best record you've had. Sounds like you need to lower your expectations with this roster.

MonroeFAN
08-20-2015, 05:12 AM
Casey is likely the best coach the Raptors have ever had (or close)[/B].I just think it's funny how your fans want to pick him apart as if they know more than he does.

:laugh: You don't watch basketball much do you?

Is this what passes for an insult in Canada? Something that in context couldn't be further from the truth, and a pompous icon, when you've said nothing witty or substantial at all?

Why do you quote my posts? Every time you do it I prove how big of a moron you are, and you run away crying. Then you pop back up in a month, because oh no, he said something bad about my crappy basketball team.

Both of you should talk less and listen more.

BHF
08-20-2015, 05:25 AM
Ah little boy back for more eh? Another solid post.

"Laugh"? Really? Based on what you just said you have the right to "laugh"? Why are Canadians so goofy?

Why do you quote my posts? Every time you do it I prove how big of a moron you are, and you run away crying. Then you pop back up in a month, because oh no, he said something bad about my crappy basketball team.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am laughing because you don't know anything about the raps or our coaching staff yet you still post about the raps all the time and its all negative. Now you are just insulting calling me a moron and who says i am Canadian?

MonroeFAN
08-20-2015, 05:27 AM
What? My first comment in this topic is a positive one.

QuatreBarton
08-20-2015, 07:01 AM

Almost all of your posts are always raptor or Canadian related and you`re always bashing them.

BHF
08-20-2015, 07:26 AM
Almost all of your posts are always raptor or Canadian related and you`re always bashing them.

Thank you.

Toronto Homer
08-20-2015, 07:28 AM
I am hopeful that JV has been working on his P&R defense. It has been pretty bad, and the reason I believe his 4th quarter minutes are so low. If he even becomes average at defending smaller, more mobile lineups, he will be a bargain for the Raptors. From everything I've seen from him, he seems to be a hard worker. He is still very young. It might be the homer in me, but I think this contract will be a steal within a season or 2.

Jamiecballer
08-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Are you ready to provide insight to this conversation and not just "lol life's funny sometimes".

No I don't think I provide more NBA knowledge than a professional coach, I also don't think your opinions are worth much. Do the math. He has maximized your roster, and provided your team with the best record you've had. Sounds like you need to lower your expectations with this roster.
I'm with you. Now where's that emoticon for hiding under the table?

:)

Vampirate
08-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Considering Age, current skill, potential, position Jonas is probably the only real building block on the Raptors.

MonroeFAN
08-20-2015, 10:16 AM

There are two comments in here that are positive, and your statement isn't remotely true. I could care less about the raptors as the team. Go through the last 8 pages of my post, I would bet raptor related posts represent a very small portion of my contributions. If you think I unfairly have targeted the raptors and Canada as a whole, then I'm sorry. It is true that your fan base seems to offer very little in the way of insightful contributions. Cal (something or other) is an easy exception.

But I'm not intentionally singling you out, dry your eyes mate. Aye?

All I do is talk about basketball, you're an up and coming team that has made moves this season, get over it.

LanceUpperCut
08-20-2015, 12:29 PM
There are two comments in here that are positive, and your statement isn't remotely true. I could care less about the raptors as the team. Go through the last 8 pages of my post, I would bet raptor related posts represent a very small portion of my contributions. If you think I unfairly have targeted the raptors and Canada as a whole, then I'm sorry. It is true that your fan base seems to offer very little in the way of insightful contributions. Cal (something or other) is an easy exception.

All I do is talk about basketball, you're an up and coming team that has made moves this season, get over it.

Raptors forum has a pile of guys with a hell of a lot more insightful contributions then you and many many other team forums, and yes I think the only reason why I know who you are as a poster is from the pathetic little Canadian shots and Val jabs, kind of like the one you just posted to BHF before you delete it.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-20-2015, 12:39 PM

Lol I'm not providing insight? You're reasoning was because he's a professional, he doesn't make mistakes and that he's right 100% of the time. Until you understand you're wrong there, I can't help you child.

Did I say I knew more about Casey overall? All I said was he makes some decisions that I think was wrong and based on the results on the court, it indicates to that a lot. I didn't say I could do a better job than him.

If you've agreed with a coach's decision 100% of the time then you need to brush up on your basketball. Just because they are professionals doesn't mean they can't make mistakes and that I wouldn't be able to point out their mistakes if they were to make them.

Great, he won us the best record of the franchise. Does that mean he was right 100% of the time? No of course not.

I'm not really sure what the issue here is. You barely watch the Raptors play but you think for some reason that Casey doesn't make mistakes and use the reasoning that he's right all the time and can't be wrong because he's a professional.

QuatreBarton
08-20-2015, 02:46 PM

Lol slow down, I'm not accusing you of first degree murder why u getting so riled up lmao

tredigs
08-20-2015, 03:06 PM
He's a fine scorer but Jonas isn't a rim protector and isn't a guy who can create. Contract wise it's good/fine, but he's not a scary player and I don't think he ever will be.

dalton749
08-20-2015, 04:10 PM
He's a fine scorer but Jonas isn't a rim protector and isn't a guy who can create. Contract wise it's good/fine, but he's not a scary player and I don't think he ever will be.

He's a pretty good rim protector holding opponents to 46% shooting, and is a good post defender. He just can't step out and defend shooters where he gave up a ridiculous 1.30 ppp on spot ups(didn't fit the system they ran). As for creating, he can for himself but he struggles with creating for his teammates as he was he most efficient post scorer in the league

tredigs
08-20-2015, 04:37 PM
He's a pretty good rim protector holding opponents to 46% shooting, and is a good post defender. He just can't step out and defend shooters where he gave up a ridiculous 1.30 ppp on spot ups(didn't fit the system they ran). As for creating, he can for himself but he struggles with creating for his teammates as he was he most efficient post scorer in the league
I haven't looked up his rim protection stats in detail, but I do know that in games I watch opponents do not hesitate to post him, and he's simply not a guy who deters guards from attacking the paint. I just looked it up and was less than shocked to see Toronto ranked bottom 5 in defensive efficiency. And he's just a flat out terrible passer/playmaker. It's hard to manage less than 1 APG per-36 every year, but somehow JV manages it.

Like I said I do like his scoring ability, but I just don't think he's a player who you win with.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-20-2015, 04:39 PM
Jonas defends the rim fine. It's help defense that's his issue. Chandler allows guys to shoot over 52% at the rim I think and people act like he's still a top rim protector.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-20-2015, 04:40 PM
I haven't looked up his rim protection stats in detail, but I do know that in games I watch opponents do not hesitate to post him, and he's simply not a guy who deters guards from attacking the paint. I just looked it up and was less than shocked to see Toronto ranked bottom 5 in defensive efficiency. And he's just a flat out terrible passer/playmaker. It's hard to manage less than 1 APG per-36 every year, but somehow JV manages it.

Like I said I do like his scoring ability, but I just don't think he's a player who you win with.

He's like 90% of the league. He's a support player who has flaws and strengths. No one expects you to win with him as the best player on the team. He can be a good support player.

tredigs
08-20-2015, 04:49 PM
Jonas defends the rim fine. It's help defense that's his issue. Chandler allows guys to shoot over 52% at the rim I think and people act like he's still a top rim protector.

Defensive schemes effect rim protection #'s and it's not really the best stat to look at in a 1 year sample size.

Chandler used to be a top rim protector, nobody would say he's currently at that level.

MonroeFAN
08-20-2015, 04:56 PM

Raptors forum has a pile of guys with a hell of a lot more insightful contributions then you and many many other team forums, and yes I think the only reason why I know who you are as a poster is from the pathetic little Canadian shots and Val jabs, kind of like the one you just posted to BHF before you delete it.

Blah blah blah.

MonroeFAN
08-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Not a Jonas guy, but I think it's a great contract.

He and Carroll are going to be locked up with the same contract. Kind of funny.

My "little comments".

Also, yes, I am guilty of being uncivil and editing posts. It happens VERY often, do not consider yourself special in anyway.

I've made several positive contributions to this topic, and when I suggested that maybe there was more to the "in the dog house theory" someone jumped down my throat. Doesn't matter if I watched the Raptors or not, he's generated the best season you guys have had in a while (possibly ever? not sure). You have no reason to believe that the roster is under achieving.

MonroeFAN
08-20-2015, 05:07 PM
Don't see how anyone can think he's overpaid if this is true. Following today's NBA standards. His floor is an efficient double double.

Another instance of me throwing a jab at Val.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-20-2015, 05:10 PM
Defensive schemes effect rim protection #'s and it's not really the best stat to look at in a 1 year sample size.

Chandler used to be a top rim protector, nobody would say he's currently at that level.

I don't think Jonas is a great rim protector, but he's serviceable is all I'm saying. His defensive problems are related to him not being mobile enough for help defense or playing PFs who play C. I think his offensive contributions can more than make up for the slight increase defensively from going to a more mobile player at C (like putting Amir there last year).

Vampirate
08-21-2015, 10:36 PM
Can we not turn this into another Raptor/Piston spat please.

Anyways I hope Jonas lives up to the contract.