PDA

View Full Version : Kobe on 16' Olympic team

PowerHouse
08-14-2015, 06:14 PM
I find it interesting that Kobe actually wants to pursue being on the upcoming 2016 Olympic team. Obviously Kobe will have to go through some try-outs to earn his spot but I get a feeling that even if he doesnt wow everybody he will still be given a roster spot. It is a widespread consensus even amongst those who are Kobe fans that he is nowhere near the player he was even last Olympics.

What are your thoughts? Would Kobe on the team hurt USA's chances? Should he be allowed on the team? Will he even be able to maintain his health by next summer?

Mr_Jones
08-14-2015, 06:24 PM
kobe

PowerHouse
08-14-2015, 06:30 PM
Bryant

Yep, thats his name.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-14-2015, 07:02 PM
Nah. He's too old and it's not like the guard position is lacking. Curry, Westbrook, Harden, CP3, Klay, Wall, etc.

MTar786
08-14-2015, 07:03 PM
he himself said he only wants to play if he earns it. he said thats a good way to ride off into the sunset.. but only if earned. obviously he hasnt displayed the talent to earn that spot yet.. but he is going to try.
he deserves it either way just for how much he means to the sport itself. Many great all time sportsman have had their farewell through international play.

I also think he is using the 16 olympics as a way to motivate himself to play as well as possible this season because he doesnt really have much else to motivate him this year. There wouldnt be anything to play for other than a olympic roster spot

Minimal
08-14-2015, 07:05 PM
Will he hurt the team? Absolutely not. When you have 14 best basketball players in the world on a team, who can play 40 minutes of high quality basketball almost every day, there is no way he is gonna hurt it. He can be a great veteran presence from the bench and play 10 minutes or something. I think he just wants to be part of the team and have fun among the boys. Plus be a part of a championship team feels great, as getting a medal.

MTar786
08-14-2015, 07:07 PM
hopefully kobe gets to win a gold medal and retires on a high note

Minimal
08-14-2015, 07:16 PM
Curry-Westbrook-Paul
Harden-Butler-Klay
LeBron-Durant-Melo
Davis-Griffin-Love
Cousins-Howard-Aldridge

Thats your best team in reality
Might replace Klay with Kobe/Wade and stick Kyrie somewhere too.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Only 12 guys on the team and Kobe's not going to earn it over 12 other guys.

PowerHouse
08-14-2015, 07:42 PM
I agree that it would be a "feel good story" to let Kobe be on the team to let him ride off into the sunset on a high note. Similar to '92 when Bird was given a roster spot even though guys like James Worthy, Tom Chambers or even Mitch Richmond may have been more deserving (Wilkins was hurt IIRC).

Tony_Starks
08-14-2015, 08:38 PM
Kobe said he only wants the spot if he can earn it and for what its worth Jerry Collangelo seems to think he has a pretty good chance of doing it...if his opinion means anything.

KG2TB
08-14-2015, 08:47 PM
How is Kobe going to earn it? He's not better than any of the wings on the team.

FlashBolt
08-15-2015, 02:47 AM
This upcoming Olympics should be out of respect for guys like Wade, Melo, Bosh, Kobe, LeBron, and CP3. Of course they want to move forward with the new generation but I feel that class deserves one more opportunity to win this just for nostalgia. If I was an upcoming player, out of respect, I would give Kobe my spot.

Kobe
LeBron
Melo
CP3
Wade
Bosh
Westbrook
Durant
Curry
Davis
Griffin
Harden

Half the team filled with vets (many who are elite), and the other half the new generation (who are also elite). Besides, it's the Olympics. I don't think Kobe being in or out changes anything.

IBleedPurple
08-15-2015, 08:34 AM
Colby needs a new hobby.

Dade County
08-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Just keep shooting Kobe, just keep shooting.

Tony_Starks
08-15-2015, 11:25 AM
Its only a good story if he has a comeback vintage Kobe season. I don't see him hobbling through another season and then taking a USA spot as a consolation prize....too much pride.

Hawkeye15
08-15-2015, 05:57 PM
I mean he said if he earns it. Can we see what he looks like this year before we cut him from next summer haha?

tredigs
08-15-2015, 06:30 PM
How many guys are on the squad? SG's the thinnest position in the NBA, but is he going to "legitimately" make it over Jimmy Butler or Klay? Harden being the lock. At SF they have Lebron/KD/Kawhi and PG if he tries to play again. PG you have Curry and CP3 + Wall, Irving and/or Westbrook (Curry also being a SG for them). PF you have AD/Griffin/LMA and maybe Draymond. Center you have Cousins and one of Deandre, Plumlee or Drummond.

Bruno
08-15-2015, 08:33 PM
this will be his Magic '92 dream team run.

IKnowHoops
08-16-2015, 12:02 AM
There is absolutely zero chance that Kobe can legitimately "earn" a spot on the 2016 olympic team. I really don't think I want to see him out there. He probably shouldn't of been out there for the last one. He wasn't that good out there and was constantly loosing the ball.

slashsnake
08-16-2015, 12:35 AM
Part of me really wants to see it. I remember his last Olympics he was kind of sitting back letting others play then in the couple of games where they'd get a little close he'd just turn it on and they weren't close anymore.

I think that would be a cool way for him to go out. But if you go 4 guards which they likely will, who gets cut?

Figure Harden, Westbrook Curry and CP3 make it. Which gets removed and do they deserve to be cut for Kobe?

That's the only reason I say no, he shouldn't.

phantasyyy
08-16-2015, 11:34 AM
I honestly think Kyrie is a lock to make it as well. His game like curry's is just made for the international game and not to mention he was USA player of the year and the fact that he is from Duke should get him a spot with Coach K as well.

WaDe03
08-16-2015, 04:24 PM
This upcoming Olympics should be out of respect for guys like Wade, Melo, Bosh, Kobe, LeBron, and CP3. Of course they want to move forward with the new generation but I feel that class deserves one more opportunity to win this just for nostalgia. If I was an upcoming player, out of respect, I would give Kobe my spot.

Kobe
LeBron
Melo
CP3
Wade
Bosh
Westbrook
Durant
Curry
Davis
Griffin
Harden

Half the team filled with vets (many who are elite), and the other half the new generation (who are also elite). Besides, it's the Olympics. I don't think Kobe being in or out changes anything.

That would be awesome. That team still wins pretty easily I'd say.

numba1CHANGsta
08-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Jason Kidd was 35 in the 08' Olympics and didn't see anyone complain. You Kobe haters need to stfu already

Bruno
08-16-2015, 07:50 PM
Jason Kidd was 35 in the 08' Olympics and didn't see anyone complain. You Kobe haters need to stfu already

I think its good for the game. its good for the fans to see the aging guys give it one more go. I hope LBJ is there in 2020. Bird and Magic weren't at the top of their game in 1992 either. every team needs one or two older guys.

tredigs
08-16-2015, 07:53 PM
He had just turned 35, was ultra healthy/durable and still flirting with a triple-double every night he played (averaged 11/8/10 in '08). Also, young CP3 + Deron were on the squad and Kidd was just the veteran leader on a team that could use that. He didn't get minutes.

Kobe's going to be 37 and there are question marks with all of the above.

I think its good for the game. its good for the fans to see the aging guys give it one more go. I hope LBJ is there in 2020. Bird and Magic weren't at the top of their game in 1992 either. every team needs one or two older guys.
I mean, Lebron's going to be 31. CP3 was already playing in Olympics 8 years ago. KD/Curry/Harden are going to be proven vets/MVP's at that point. They really don't need any leadership or help gelling.

numba1CHANGsta
08-16-2015, 08:08 PM
He had just turned 35, was ultra healthy/durable and still flirting with a triple-double every night he played (averaged 11/8/10 in '08). Also, young CP3 + Deron were on the squad and Kidd was just the veteran leader on a team that could use that. He didn't get minutes.

Kobe's going to be 37 and there are question marks with all of the above.

Don't you think Kobe knows that he isn't going to get any minutes? probably going to play in garbage time but he wants one last ride might even retire right after. He's going to be there more for a leadership role than actual playing time. If he's healthy then I don't see why not have him on the team. He played in his first Olympics in 2008 (he was 29), while you have all of these young players playing in their early 20's, so can't blame the guy for wanting to play one last time.

tredigs
08-16-2015, 08:15 PM
Don't you think Kobe knows that he isn't going to get any minutes? probably going to play in garbage time but he wants one last ride might even retire right after. He's going to be there more for a leadership role than actual playing time. If he's healthy then I don't see why not have him on the team. He played in his first Olympics in 2008 (he was 29), while you have all of these young players playing in their early 20's, so can't blame the guy for wanting to play one last time.

That's his bad for choosing to have a wedding directly during the 2000 games and getting into his legal issues for the 2004 games. No sympathy slots on the greatest team in the world. We could've used him in '04 big time on that young/weak squad and his absence probably cost them the Gold.

Kobe in a leadership role with no minutes? I don't know. The potential for harm feels like it outweighs the potential for good there.

numba1CHANGsta
08-16-2015, 08:48 PM
That's his bad for choosing to have a wedding directly during the 2000 games and getting into his legal issues for the 2004 games. No sympathy slots on the greatest team in the world. We could've used him in '04 big time on that young/weak squad and his absence probably cost them the Gold.

Kobe in a leadership role with no minutes? I don't know. The potential for harm feels like it outweighs the potential for good there.

How is that harm? Team USA will be so deep with talent that they probably won't even get to players 9-12, and Kobe will get minutes since teams will get blown out early and Kobe will play garbage minutes while still playing a leadership role on the bench for the younger players. Im pretty sure Kidd was in the same situation and last time I checked Team USA won gold.

MavsUCCB
08-16-2015, 08:55 PM
Kobe Bryant is hijacking the Lakers and now is going to attempt to hijack Team USA.

tredigs
08-16-2015, 09:01 PM
I trust Kidd's leadership in a non-playing role far more than Kobe. Especially when this team doesn't need his leadership. More I think about it, the less sense Kobe makes.

FlashBolt
08-17-2015, 12:28 AM
I trust Kidd's leadership in a non-playing role far more than Kobe. Especially when this team doesn't need his leadership. More I think about it, the less sense Kobe makes.

Kidd was definitely a leader big-time for that squad. He's always been a great leader. Kobe has yet to become a great leader but in all honesty, who cares? This all boils down to whether or not the people selecting these players have enough respect for Kobe (if Kobe really wanted to play). It doesn't really matter. Kobe or no Kobe, USA Basketball team will win handily with Stephen Curry and KD sniping these guys down.

PowerHouse
08-17-2015, 01:50 AM

The '04 Olympics was notorious for many star dropping out. Most notably KG, Kobe and T-mac who were probably the top 3 players in the league at that time. A couple may of had legit excuses for dropping but I remember there was nervousness and uncertainty surrounding those games since it was the first Olympics since 9-11 and the idea of another terrorist attack like Munich was on people's minds.

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/may/27/sports/sp-nbarep27

Bruno
08-17-2015, 02:04 AM
I mean, Lebron's going to be 31. CP3 was already playing in Olympics 8 years ago. KD/Curry/Harden are going to be proven vets/MVP's at that point. They really don't need any leadership or help gelling.

MJ, Barkley, Robinson and Pippen didn't need Bird or Magic.

tredigs
08-17-2015, 02:07 AM
The '04 Olympics was notorious for many star dropping out. Most notably KG, Kobe and T-mac who were probably the top 3 players in the league at that time. A couple may of had legit excuses for dropping but I remember there was nervousness and uncertainty surrounding those games since it was the first Olympics since 9-11 and the idea of another terrorist attack like Munich was on people's minds.

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/may/27/sports/sp-nbarep27

Pretty sure Kobe's was due to the rape trial.

MJ, Barkley, Robinson and Pippen didn't need Bird or Magic.
Magic was still pretty great, and so was Bird when he could stand up straight (he averaged 20/10/7 on 47/40/93 the year he retired in '92). But he's a decent example I guess, other than I think all those guys/coaches wanted them on the team. I sort of doubt that's the case with Kobe.

numba1CHANGsta
08-17-2015, 02:21 AM
Kobe Bryant is hijacking the Lakers and now is going to attempt to hijack Team USA.

Not as bad as how DeAndre hijacked the Mavericks this summer :laugh:

Tony_Starks
08-17-2015, 12:18 PM

How did he cost them in '04 I thought the "greatest player on the planet" and Tim Duncan were a part of that team?

Also when Kobe did play in the Olympics all the players/ coaches on the team praised him as not only the leader but the defensive stopper and closer. As a matter of fact KD and Kyrie were still talking about what they learned from Kobe then as recently as last year so......

FlashBolt
08-17-2015, 01:13 PM
How did he cost them in '04 I thought the "greatest player on the planet" and Tim Duncan were a part of that team?

Also when Kobe did play in the Olympics all the players/ coaches on the team praised him as not only the leader but the defensive stopper and closer. As a matter of fact KD and Kyrie were still talking about what they learned from Kobe then as recently as last year so......

Assuming you are talking about LeBron via "greatest player on the planet", he rarely played... I'm sure they would have won gold if Kobe was there instead of Allen Iverson (who played horrifyingly bad).