PDA

View Full Version : Current Top 10 Players In The NBA (#2)

tredigs
08-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Choose from the poll options and debate who the current Top Ten best players in the NBA are. This should not be based on who had the best season last year, but rather who you would choose for a team in order to win right now.

Additional options will be added as we go along based on who will realistically receive votes at that level (or if players are requested in the thread).

We're starting the #2 voting alongside the #1 because the overwhelming consensus is still for Lebron as top dog in the Association.

tredigs
08-09-2015, 08:24 PM
I'm personally torn between Durant and Curry. Durant's an enigma right now... back to back foot surgeries to a mobile near 7 footer are no joke, and in the third of a season he did play last year, I'd give the edge to the MVP. Until further notice on what level he's going to come back at, I'm leaning towards the MVP here, but I'll hold off on voting until some debate gets going.

Shammyguy3
08-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Have to go with Curry here

naps
08-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Anthony Davis. No question in my mind. I would pick KD but I am not sure how we should judge him based on what he has been through. No one else effects the game like Davis on both ends among these players and I only see him improving next year from last year.

Scoots
08-09-2015, 10:55 PM
By the end of next season it could be Durant or Davis ... but right now I can't put either there, Durant because of injury and Davis because of his team.

For right now, for me, it's Curry.

goingfor28
08-09-2015, 11:10 PM
KD, I am assuming he will be healthy. Basing it on the past several years (without last years injury plagued year) he's right up there with LeBron imo.

naps
08-10-2015, 12:05 AM
Also why isn't CP3 on this list? I bet if Clippers made the WCF or finals, he would be considered as one of the top 3 players. Should team performance matter that much while ranking individuals?

ROY 2 MVP Braun
08-10-2015, 12:43 AM
While voting are we to assume the players are healthy?

I'm voting as if I was the GM on a expansion team and the leagues letting me pick any player I want off any team. I'll pick the player who I feel will help me win the most games during the regular season while also being able to possibly lead me to a championship. So if that's the case I'm taking KD.

Also I'm on the app so I can't vote on the poll. Can the OP add my pick please?

tredigs
08-10-2015, 12:49 AM
While voting are we to assume the players are healthy?

I'm voting as if I was the GM on a expansion team and the leagues letting me pick any player I want off any team. I'll pick the player who I feel will help me win the most games during the regular season while also being able to possibly lead me to a championship. So if that's the case I'm taking KD.

Also I'm on the app so I can't vote on the poll. Can the OP add my pick please?
Basically you take them as they currently are. KD's a tough scenario for sure. If you think he can come back from his foot surgeries and be the player he was 2 years ago, that's a fair take. Personally I'm questioning whether or not he will be quite at that level, and some of these guys closed the gap on him so much that I might lean their direction. And yeah, I'll note anyone who wrongly votes or can't vote and says so in the thread.

Also why isn't CP3 on this list? I bet if Clippers made the WCF or finals, he would be considered as one of the top 3 players. Should team performance matter that much while ranking individuals?

CP3's on the list. "Chris Paul".

FlashBolt
08-10-2015, 01:03 AM
Total disrespect to Kevin Durant. His injury should make him lose one spot to LeBron. There is no way he is not the 2nd best player. While I do think Anthony Davis is quickly getting up there, have some of you guys really seen enough of him to proclaim him the 2nd best player? I haven't.

Dade County
08-10-2015, 01:11 AM
Kd

mngopher35
08-10-2015, 01:27 AM
Biggest issue is how much should the injury concerns prevent me from picking KD. If I knew he was healthy I pick him here but would I risk that right now with how close Curry/AD have gotten to him overall? Then there is the whole picking between those two haha.

I am gonna wait a little bit longer to vote but right now am leaning KD. If someone wants to really go in depth on why a certain player should be voted it maybe could sway me...

tredigs
08-10-2015, 02:08 AM
Biggest issue is how much should the injury concerns prevent me from picking KD. If I knew he was healthy I pick him here but would I risk that right now with how close Curry/AD have gotten to him overall? Then there is the whole picking between those two haha.

I am gonna wait a little bit longer to vote but right now am leaning KD. If someone wants to really go in depth on why a certain player should be voted it maybe could sway me...
Best argument against him is that he wasn't the 2nd best player last season, and that was after just 1 surgery. He's now missed a lot of time and those are fairly scary surgeries. Curry's impact was absolutely massive last season (up there close to KD's best, tho' in less minutes so the box-score stats weren't quite up there), and we know he's 100% and likely to improve even more.

I think a few people have a case here, and couldn't disagree more concerning the comment about it being "disrespectful" to choose someone other than KD haha. That said, he's an OKC fan so I get it.

IKnowHoops
08-10-2015, 02:40 AM
KD
AD
Curry

CousinsEvansDUO
08-10-2015, 02:53 AM
Lbj
kd
curry
paul
westbrook
demarcus cousins
harden
davis
griffin
irving
kobe

mngopher35
08-10-2015, 02:56 AM
Best argument against him is that he wasn't the 2nd best player last season, and that was after just 1 surgery. He's now missed a lot of time and those are fairly scary surgeries. Curry's impact was absolutely massive last season (up there close to KD's best, tho' in less minutes so the box-score stats weren't quite up there), and we know he's 100% and likely to improve even more.

I think a few people have a case here, and couldn't disagree more concerning the comment about it being "disrespectful" to choose someone other than KD haha. That said, he's an OKC fan so I get it.

I agree about that last point, it is a toss up between those mentioned and I can even see a case made for others in the poll (although a bit weaker imo). Last thread I think a couple people said Lebron easily or it wasn't that close and I disagree with that too. I think the top 5ish are all pretty close overall at this point and any of them have the potential to be the best next year. Lebron just gets the benefit of the doubt kinda due to his strong finals performance and the past 6 years in general (where most of those years it actually wasn't this close).

As for the KD argument I just feel like giving him the benefit of the doubt right now because I honestly do think he returns to form (or maybe I just really hope it). I agree Curry was pretty close to that but I still think Durants 2014 was better, he is young enough to keep improving (although with the injury that maybe has been hampered a bit), and he has led a team to the finals as well in the past as well (just ran up against a better Heat team).

I also think Curry and Davis had pretty massive impacts but would expect Davis to improve more. Judging off just last year I would give the edge to Curry but think it was a reachable gap for Davis to overcome. Any thoughts on that, I haven't looked into the numbers much yet but what would you say for Curry over Davis?

EDUTEXANS
08-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Durant. He might not be as great all-around as LeBron, but no one can score as efficiently and at will like KD, and at the end of the day, that's the biggest, most important single asset in basketball. He needs to get healthy, though.

Hawkeye15
08-10-2015, 01:32 PM
I am going Curry here, but a healthy Durant is better. Just need to see how he comes back

JAZZNC
08-10-2015, 02:20 PM
I am going to have to vote Curry for #2. His defense has come along to complement his amazing offensive abilities. He has such an incredible impact on the court without even having the ball because you just simply can't leave him anywhere on the court and requires constant doubles that creates tons of opportunities for others even if it isn't off of a direct assist from Curry. Also when he has a hot hand he is almost unguardable.

Please add my vote for Curry to the poll, I'm on my pos phone and can't vote.

Scoots
08-10-2015, 10:20 PM
I am assuming this is drafting players for this coming year, not for building a franchise ... yes?

tredigs
08-10-2015, 11:06 PM
I am assuming this is drafting players for this coming year, not for building a franchise ... yes?

Yeah, same thing we do every summer here. Best current players in the NBA. Tho' with such lame/lack of debate in these, I personally won't bother continuing the list. Thought this might actually get a rise out of some posters, but this forum is pretty dead.

JLynn943
08-10-2015, 11:58 PM
I'm figuring that KD will be the same dominant player he was pre-injury. If he is, this choice is easy.

Clippersfan86
08-11-2015, 01:50 AM
Curry right now. Durant COULD be if healthy, Davis COULD be if he takes another big leap, but Curry is the safe, less risky pick.

Clippersfan86
08-11-2015, 01:52 AM
Also with the huge strides Curry made on defense and Durant being a mediocre defender his entire career, but surprisingly getting a pass...I'm not even sure if healthy he's a lock to be better than Curry or AD as some are saying.

FlashBolt
08-11-2015, 02:25 AM
Also with the huge strides Curry made on defense and Durant being a mediocre defender his entire career, but surprisingly getting a pass...I'm not even sure if healthy he's a lock to be better than Curry or AD as some are saying.

Woah, KD is more than a mediocre defender. He's too small to guard LeBron but he has guarded other players very well.

jerellh528
08-11-2015, 04:15 AM
Yeah, same thing we do every summer here. Best current players in the NBA. Tho' with such lame/lack of debate in these, I personally won't bother continuing the list. Thought this might actually get a rise out of some posters, but this forum is pretty dead.

Debate will probably rise once you start hitting the 3rd/ 4th player and on. Not too much to debate with lebron and Kd as top 2. Plus I think a mod should sticky whatever current one were on, otherwise the thread might get lost in the sauce

Clippersfan86
08-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Woah, KD is more than a mediocre defender. He's too small to guard LeBron but he has guarded other players very well.

I don't know man... from watching him on national TV a decent amount and looking at the metrics, he seems to be average at absolute best defensively. I know he's legendary on offense... but due to him not also being an elite defender, it's hard to guarantee him a lock as 2nd best with guys like Curry and AD in the league who are rapidly improving.

EDUTEXANS
08-11-2015, 10:19 AM
I thought we should be voting for who is better right now. Will Durant ever be the same? We don't know yet. As of now he is what he was, before the injury.

Am I wrong?

tredigs
08-11-2015, 02:30 PM
I thought we should be voting for who is better right now. Will Durant ever be the same? We don't know yet. As of now he is what he was, before the injury.

Am I wrong?

Yeah, he really puts people in a tough spot in this voting. I'm still good with KD #2 though. The idea is basically that as this season gets going, people still think he's the #2 in the NBA (some probably think #1, others maybe #4 after Curry or AD, etc. But on average #2).

@Jerrell, yeah we'll see. There's at least some discussion here and KD's such a tough argument that it might be a better debate once we get into Curry V Paul V Westbrook V AD, etc.

Chronz
08-11-2015, 02:49 PM
Durant an average defender? Never

FlashBolt
08-11-2015, 03:13 PM
I don't know man... from watching him on national TV a decent amount and looking at the metrics, he seems to be average at absolute best defensively. I know he's legendary on offense... but due to him not also being an elite defender, it's hard to guarantee him a lock as 2nd best with guys like Curry and AD in the league who are rapidly improving.

Rapidly improving doesn't mean 2nd best. Durant proved he is right up there with LeBron during LeBron's peak. We can look at this season as a down season for KD but his numbers are right on par even with an injury. AD has a lot of work to do on the defensive end to be elite but there is no way Curry is an elite defender. I've seen KD guard a multitude of positions and done so well. He's been seen guarding Paul many times and because of his length, he is able to cause many problems for smaller players.

tredigs
08-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Rapidly improving doesn't mean 2nd best. Durant proved he is right up there with LeBron during LeBron's peak. We can look at this season as a down season for KD but his numbers are right on par even with an injury. AD has a lot of work to do on the defensive end to be elite but there is no way Curry is an elite defender. I've seen KD guard a multitude of positions and done so well. He's been seen guarding Paul many times and because of his length, he is able to cause many problems for smaller players.

You underrate Curry's impact, and if you take a minute to read this post I'll break it down for you.

I know you don't like stats, but without showing videos like this (this is one game) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZurA01IYulE) where he's doing things at a level that very few players have ever reached, I'm not sure of a better way to convince you that Curry has also reached a level of impact that absolutely rivaled a healthy Durant.

For the past two seasons (2 years ago being Durant's best season) we've had the Real Plus/Minus (RPM) and Wins Above Replacement (WAR) stats from ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM). In 2013/14 Durant posted a 6.42 RPM (3rd among #1 options just ahead of Dirk/Curry at ~6.3) and a 17.6 WAR (2nd only behind Lebron. Curry was third that year at 15.5).
Last season in 2014/15 the leader in RPM was Curry at 9.34 (higher than any player in the two years they've posted and 30% higher than Durant in his best season the prior year). The leader in WAR was Harden at 20.63 with Curry #2 at 20.07. Next was Lebron at 17.03. Unlike RPM I am pretty sure WAR is cumulative and aided by the extra minutes Harden had.

Looking at Value Over Replacement Player (VORP) from Basketball-Ref (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/vorp_top_10.html), KD had his personal best and ranked #1 overall in 2013/14 at 8.54 (Curry was 4th that year at 6.5), and in 2014/15 Curry took the reigns as #1 at 7.9 (better than every KD year other than his 13/14).

Curry's PER of 28.0 ranks 3rd in order of Durant's career bests (he had a 29.8 last year and 28.2 the previous year). So, he's right up there.

Curry's #1 ranked Box Plus/Minus of 9.6 was not only better than KD's best, but every year of Lebron other than 09/10 (he posted a 9.7).

In WS/48 Curry posted a .289 (#1), slightly trailing KD's bests of .295 and .290.

Curry was the MVP. He was the leader/best player of the team that won the NBA Title. He arguably demands the most defensive pressure of any player in the game (could stay statistically based on the SportsVU "gravity" stat that he lead in, but I haven't seen the #'s published recently). What more would he have to do be at Durant's top level? I think he got there. Seeing as we don't know where KD currently is at, and we know that Curry still has peak play ahead of him, are the reasons why I took Curry over the board at #2. All that being said, Durant is not the wrong choice. If we think he comes back as good or better than before (maybe not likely, but who knows), then he's the choice.

Clippersfan86
08-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Curry scares me WAY more than flailurant. Flailurant if you can keep him off the FT (which is nearly impossible) like with Harden, he's not going to singlehandedly kill you as bad as Curry can. Curry I remember was 2-10 shooting one game against us going into the 4th quarter. Then he dropped 4 or 5 threes in within 2 or 3 minutes. He's terrifying because once he gets going, you're helpless. That's without 20 FT attempts or asinine reffing that flailurant gets. I remember 3 years ago flailurant was playing the Clippers and tripped over his own foot with nobody within 5 feet of him and got FT's. It was so comical I couldn't even get mad about the call really.

FraziersKnicks
08-11-2015, 04:59 PM
You underrate Curry's impact, and if you take a minute to read this post I'll break it down for you.

I know you don't like stats, but without showing videos like this (this is one game) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZurA01IYulE) where he's doing things at a level that very few players have ever reached, I'm not sure of a better way to convince you that Curry has also reached a level of impact that absolutely rivaled a healthy Durant.

For the past two seasons (2 years ago being Durant's best season) we've had the Real Plus/Minus (RPM) and Wins Above Replacement (WAR) stats from ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM). In 2013/14 Durant posted a 6.42 RPM (3rd among #1 options just ahead of Dirk/Curry at ~6.3) and a 17.6 WAR (2nd only behind Lebron. Curry was third that year at 15.5).
Last season in 2014/15 the leader in RPM was Curry at 9.34 (higher than any player in the two years they've posted and 30% higher than Durant in his best season the prior year). The leader in WAR was Harden at 20.63 with Curry #2 at 20.07. Next was Lebron at 17.03. Unlike RPM I am pretty sure WAR is cumulative and aided by the extra minutes Harden had.

Looking at Value Over Replacement Player (VORP) from Basketball-Ref (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/vorp_top_10.html), KD had his personal best and ranked #1 overall in 2013/14 at 8.54 (Curry was 4th that year at 6.5), and in 2014/15 Curry took the reigns as #1 at 7.9 (better than every KD year other than his 13/14).

Curry's PER of 28.0 ranks 3rd in order of Durant's career bests (he had a 29.8 last year and 28.2 the previous year). So, he's right up there.

Curry's #1 ranked Box Plus/Minus of 9.6 was not only better than KD's best, but every year of Lebron other than 09/10 (he posted a 9.7).

In WS/48 Curry posted a .289 (#1), slightly trailing KD's bests of .295 and .290.

Curry was the MVP. He was the leader/best player of the team that won the NBA Title. He arguably demands the most defensive pressure of any player in the game (could stay statistically based on the SportsVU "gravity" stat that he lead in, but I haven't seen the #'s published recently). What more would he have to do be at Durant's top level? I think he got there. Seeing as we don't know where KD currently is at, and we know that Curry still has peak play ahead of him, are the reasons why I took Curry over the board at #2. All that being said, Durant is not the wrong choice. If we think he comes back as good or better than before (maybe not likely, but who knows), then he's the choice.

Not quite sure where you're getting those Box Plus/Minus numbers from.

Curry was at 9.86 last season (2nd behind Westbrook at 11.02), which would rank behind 5 of LeBron's best Box Plus/Minus seasons.

DanG
08-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Durant, but OK with Curry too because KD was injured most of the time. You don't always see a MVP/Ring season. But if Durant's healthy it's clearly him.

tredigs
08-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Not quite sure where you're getting those Box Plus/Minus numbers from.

Curry was at 9.86 last season (2nd behind Westbrook at 11.02), which would rank behind 5 of LeBron's best Box Plus/Minus seasons.

Oh my bad I was on just Offensive BPM, not overall. His offensive BPM is better than Durant's best and all but one of Lebron's seasons. Overall you're right he had a 9.86 ranked #2 -- and actually was still better than Durant's best season.

mrblisterdundee
08-12-2015, 01:27 AM
1. LeBron James
2. Stephen Curry
3. James Harden
4. Anthony Davis
5. Kevin Durant
6. Chris Paul
7. Russell Westbrook
8. DeMarcus Cousins
9. Blake Griffin

I'm going to let Durant earn his spot, after two foot surgeries and only playing 27 games last season. Injuries can ruin any great player ask Penny Hardaway, Tray McGrady, Grant Hill, Yao Ming and plenty of others.
I'm going with Curry, the reigning MVP. And guys like Davis and Harden are in the same echelon as Durant and LeBron.

mrblisterdundee
08-12-2015, 01:27 AM
1. LeBron James
2. Stephen Curry
3. James Harden
4. Anthony Davis
5. Kevin Durant
6. Chris Paul
7. Russell Westbrook
8. DeMarcus Cousins
9. Blake Griffin
10. LaMarcus Aldridge

I'm going to let Durant earn his spot, after two foot surgeries and only playing 27 games last season. Injuries can ruin any great player ask Penny Hardaway, Tray McGrady, Grant Hill, Yao Ming and plenty of others.
I'm going with Curry, the reigning MVP. And guys like Davis, Curry and Harden are in the same echelon as Durant and LeBron.

FlashBolt
08-12-2015, 03:50 PM

You and I both know KD on that GSW squad would be better than a Curry-led Squad.

All-In
08-12-2015, 04:11 PM
You and I both know KD on that GSW squad would be better than a Curry-led Squad.

Are you talking about the same Curry-led squad that went 67-15 in the regular season, 16-5 in the postseason and had an 11.4 net efficiency? How much better can you get?.........I get arguing the case for KD over Curry.......but to say "Put KD on that GSW team in place of Curry and they be better" isn't that simple

Gander13SM
08-12-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm thinking Steph is going to have the bigger impact on the game. There will be players better than him. There will be another shooter better than him someday. But there won't be another guy that makes the same impact he's making. He transcends the sport. Kids were copying Jordan, his moves and mannerisms. It spawned a bunch of copy cats and the only one that came close to being as good as him (by copying his style) was Kobe. I forsee the same thing happening with Steph. Kids these days are practicing Steph's moves. Trying to get that handle and ability to shoot off the dribble etc. There will be a bunch of players in the future that were clearly inspired by his game. For that reason I think Steph is having a bigger impact than any other player in the league right now. LeBron is the best player of this generation. But what truly sets him apart is his strength, size, athleticism etc. Kids can't really copy that, not like they can Steph. Same with KD. Unbelievable skill set. But his length gives him a true advantage because his shot is close to impossible to block (for most wings).

Anyway. With all that said. The next best player after LeBron in terms of talent/skill is Kevin Durant.

I have it as; LeBron James. Kevin Durant. Stephen Curry. CP3. Anthony Davis. For now. No doubt Davis is about to leap frog at least 2 of those guys, maybe 3.

tredigs
08-13-2015, 01:05 PM

I'm very confident they'd be a worse squad, for multiple reasons.

Scoots
08-13-2015, 03:26 PM
I'm very confident they'd be a worse squad, for multiple reasons.

I try to be open minded and appreciate all of the good players in the NBA, but I've got to agree with tredigs here. If for no other reason than KD playing a position the Warriors are deepest at it would be a negative move for the Warriors to lose Curry and add KD. Now Curry AND KD would be very nice :)

kdspurman
08-13-2015, 06:40 PM
Curry scares me WAY more than flailurant. Flailurant if you can keep him off the FT (which is nearly impossible) like with Harden, he's not going to singlehandedly kill you as bad as Curry can. Curry I remember was 2-10 shooting one game against us going into the 4th quarter. Then he dropped 4 or 5 threes in within 2 or 3 minutes. He's terrifying because once he gets going, you're helpless. That's without 20 FT attempts or asinine reffing that flailurant gets. I remember 3 years ago flailurant was playing the Clippers and tripped over his own foot with nobody within 5 feet of him and got FT's. It was so comical I couldn't even get mad about the call really.

I guess it depends on the makeup of your team lol. Like I feel the opposite, I fear Durant more. Yes he gets some bogus calls, but that's part of his skill set. Curry I have seen Green/Kawhi slow him down. Durant it's more of hoping he's off that night. Aside from his skills, guy is just so tall/lanky he can shoot over most defenders

mrblisterdundee
08-13-2015, 11:20 PM
Durant has the length, but nobody knows how much explosiveness he'll still have to get some space. Curry, meanwhile, has proven mobility and one of the quickest releases in the NBA.

FlashBolt
08-15-2015, 02:35 AM
Are you talking about the same Curry-led squad that went 67-15 in the regular season, 16-5 in the postseason and had an 11.4 net efficiency? How much better can you get?.........I get arguing the case for KD over Curry.......but to say "Put KD on that GSW team in place of Curry and they be better" isn't that simple

Not better record-wise but the fear of going up against KD is scarier than Curry. I never said record wise but stats don't prove everything. Lots of unhealthy teams this past season.