PDA

View Full Version : Switch Davis and Cousins

5ass
08-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Put Cousins on the Pelicans, and Davis on the Kings. What kind of effect would it have on both teams?

TrueFan420
08-08-2015, 10:59 PM
Obviously the Kings would be better and the Pelicans worse. Not trying to slight boogie but he isn't as good as Davis.

tredigs
08-08-2015, 11:05 PM
At this point in Davis' career I honestly don't think it would make much of a difference at all. Off the wall guess, maybe 5 reg season games. Maybe. Once AD's defensive IQ catches up to his athleticism (assuming/hoping it does), watch out though.

Meth
08-08-2015, 11:22 PM
Davis was by far the best player last season. The Kings would have a good shot contending for the playoffs imo. While the Kings had many holes, interior defense was the biggest key. There's no denying Cousins' talent, but he's not a rim protector, and he's too turnover prone on offense. The Kings would still need shooting though.

tredigs
08-08-2015, 11:35 PM
Davis was by far the best player last season. The Kings would have a good shot contending for the playoffs imo. While the Kings had many holes, interior defense was the biggest key. There's no denying Cousins' talent, but he's not a rim protector, and he's too turnover prone on offense. The Kings would still need shooting though.

Ridiculous statement in my opinion. He certainly had very good stats depending on what types of stats you are interested in, but in no way was he far and away better than his elite comrades, and I'd argue less successful of a force than a few. His D particularly is highly overrated by many box-score hawks.

He's a monster, yes, and will likely be a top 5 player for the forseable future so long as he's healthy, but he has a lot to learn and is behind the defensive curve of a lot of ex great bigs (looking at you, Duncan).

JLynn943
08-08-2015, 11:43 PM
I don't think the difference is much between the two right now - especially since Cousins is a better defender than people realize. Davis would likely be a better fit in Karl's system though and has insane potential.

Dade County
08-09-2015, 12:51 AM
Davis needs to come to the East.

More-Than-Most
08-09-2015, 01:33 AM

youd be right if the kings were in the East... If they switch there might be a 4-8 win difference but not enough to put the kings even close to the playoffs.

Davis is amazing but he plays a position where there isnt much talent he has to deal with head to head... so yes he is up there with guys like cp3/James/Durant/curry but i give these guys the edge considering the talent they go up against night in and night out.

Sactown
08-09-2015, 03:22 AM

Weird that you say that, actually opponents had a harder time scoring at the basket against DMC than they did agaisnt Anthony Davis when you look at the FG% at the rim, also DMC was only behind draymond Green in points allowed on per possession.

Yes DMC turns the ball over more, but he has far less help, has a far greater usage and a far greater Assist % as well.

Davis is becoming one of the more over rated players in the league, we all want him to hit his potential so quickly we tend to forget he isn't quite there... Especially defensively

Meth
08-09-2015, 05:18 AM
I don't see why not. Anthony Davis has made tremendous strides and has elevated his game every season. To say he was not the best player last season is ridiculous. If his team was top three, he'd be the MVP without a doubt. Although Davis is a good defender especially on the weak side, I never mentioned that he was elite by any means. Anthony Davis is essentially the next KG imo, and until the Pelicans upgrade their mediocre backcourt and actual put some talent around him, he will pretty much suffer the same fate.

Minimal
08-09-2015, 09:39 AM
They are pretty equal right now. Davis slightly better overall, but its funny how underrated Cousins is all these years, he is as good defensively as Davis.

tredigs
08-09-2015, 09:45 AM
I don't see why not. Anthony Davis has made tremendous strides and has elevated his game every season. To say he was not the best player last season is ridiculous. If his team was top three, he'd be the MVP without a doubt. Although Davis is a good defender especially on the weak side, I never mentioned that he was elite by any means. Anthony Davis is essentially the next KG imo, and until the Pelicans upgrade their mediocre backcourt and actual put some talent around him, he will pretty much suffer the same fate.

I don't think it was coincidence that he fell outside the top 5 in VORP and Box +/- and trailed Curry/Harden/Lebron in RPM. He's not a particularly strong rebounder, does not have strong on ball D and isn't a top 3 offensive player. Outside of just looking at his block totals and being in love with PER, I don't really see how a person can say that he is clearly the NBA's best player. Curry/Harden/Lebron and when healthy KD are all better players than Davis. He's still in the next group.

tredigs
08-09-2015, 09:53 AM
Missed this part. KG was a terrific perimeter defender (AD spends his time on the perimeter being torched, tho' his close-out blocks on shooters are awesome) and was already developing into a very strong playmaker at a young age, something AD clearly struggles with. Davis is the better scorer, but I don't exactly see the comparison.

IBleedPurple
08-09-2015, 12:20 PM
I don't see why not. Anthony Davis has made tremendous strides and has elevated his game every season. To say he was not the best player last season is ridiculous. If his team was top three, he'd be the MVP without a doubt. Although Davis is a good defender especially on the weak side, I never mentioned that he was elite by any means. Anthony Davis is essentially the next KG imo, and until the Pelicans upgrade their mediocre backcourt and actual put some talent around him, he will pretty much suffer the same fate.It's not ridiculous to say that, it is correct. People are getting ahead of themselves with Davis, and he's nothing like KG as a player.

nycericanguy
08-09-2015, 12:48 PM
PSD overrates the hell out of DMC. Just like they did with Love when he was putting up big numbers on AWFUL teams yet people here still said he was a top 5 player in the game.

DMC is the center version of Marbury, good numbers but has that horrible, infectious, sulking attitude in games and takes plays off. just doesnt seem committed to winning and giving 100%.

Not to mention for a guy with his size and ability there's no reason he should shoot 46% from the field, especially with the lack of competition at C.

Davis i'm sure could lead SAC to more than 30 wins, which is all DMC has been able to do in 5 years.

ManRam
08-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Boogie made huge strides defensively. I don't think either team changes all that much at this point.

Vinny642
08-09-2015, 01:08 PM
I don't think it was coincidence that he fell outside the top 5 in VORP and Box +/- and trailed Curry/Harden/Lebron in RPM. He's not a particularly strong rebounder, does not have strong on ball D and isn't a top 3 offensive player. Outside of just looking at his block totals and being in love with PER, I don't really see how a person can say that he is clearly the NBA's best player. Curry/Harden/Lebron and when healthy KD are all better players than Davis. He's still in the next group.

You lost all credibility when you said Harden was better than Davis

kingsdelez24
08-09-2015, 01:58 PM
PSD overrates the hell out of DMC. Just like they did with Love when he was putting up big numbers on AWFUL teams yet people here still said he was a top 5 player in the game.

DMC is the center version of Marbury, good numbers but has that horrible, infectious, sulking attitude in games and takes plays off. just doesnt seem committed to winning and giving 100%.

Not to mention for a guy with his size and ability there's no reason he should shoot 46% from the field, especially with the lack of competition at C.

Davis i'm sure could lead SAC to more than 30 wins, which is all DMC has been able to do in 5 years.

Of coursw he's gonna shoot 46% for his career when John ****ing Salmons and Marcus Thronton were jos team's 2nd and 3rd options

nycericanguy
08-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Of coursw he's gonna shoot 46% for his career when John ****ing Salmons and Marcus Thronton were jos team's 2nd and 3rd options

he's had better players than those guys... Isiah Thomas, Tyreke Evans ( the same Tyreke that Davis has as a #2 option and winning 45 games with)... Rudy Gay... heck even Collison was good offensively and I'm sure i'm forgetting a few...

He shoots 46% because he takes a ton of 20 footers like he's JR smith or something...

Not to mention he's among the league leaders in TO's which is pretty hard for a Center to do...

He's not a winning player, that may change, but as of now his game/effort/attitude just have not been conducive to winning.

Took people a while to realize Marbury, for all his great numbers was a loser as well. Kidd came into NJ and showed what a real winning player does even without the big scoring.

tredigs
08-09-2015, 02:19 PM
You lost all credibility when you said Harden was better than Davis

I understand you're a Pels fan, but how do you figure? I'll take an elite playmaking super efficient high volume scorer who can play on or off the ball all day over AD offensively. Once (or if) AD's D becomes an actual force, I'd take him over Harden, but at this point it simply isn't and it's part of the reason why they're a bottom defensive team.

Harden just put up 27/6/7 with a >60% and was top 3 in the league in VORP/BPM/RPM (all above AD significantly and are all more indicative stats than PER for actual impact imo). He was the clear driving force behind that team reaching the 2 seed in the West + reaching the WCF's, and he's still a better player than AD.

Speaking of, does anyone want to take the reigns from the departed MileHigh guy and start the poll for the top 10 players in the NBA? Screw doing the top 10 for each position, that drags way too long, but the overall top 10 is fun and that's basically the only interesting thing left to discuss this off-season. I suppose I'll do it if nobody else will, but somebody more reliable would be better.

jerellh528
08-09-2015, 02:37 PM
I understand you're a Pels fan, but how do you figure? I'll take an elite playmaking super efficient high volume scorer who can play on or off the ball all day over AD offensively. Once (or if) AD's D becomes an actual force, I'd take him over Harden, but at this point it simply isn't and it's part of the reason why they're a bottom defensive team.

Harden just put up 27/6/7 with a >60% and was top 3 in the league in VORP/BPM/RPM (all above AD significantly and are all more indicative stats than PER for actual impact imo). He was the clear driving force behind that team reaching the 2 seed in the West + reaching the WCF's, and he's still a better player than AD.

Speaking of, does anyone want to take the reigns from the departed MileHigh guy and start the poll for the top 10 players in the NBA? Screw doing the top 10 for each position, that drags way too long, but the overall top 10 is fun and that's basically the only interesting thing left to discuss this off-season. I suppose I'll do it if nobody else will, but somebody more reliable would be better.

Do it, you seem pretty reliable.

FlashBolt
08-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Rudy Gay+Collison+Davis makes the playoffs... Sorry, not buying that they wouldn't be a playoff team.

5ass
08-09-2015, 03:13 PM
Rudy Gay+Collison+Davis makes the playoffs... Sorry, not buying that they wouldn't be a playoff team.

Well Davis had a better supporting cast (upgrade at every position) and barely made the play offs.

FlashBolt
08-09-2015, 03:19 PM
Well Davis had a better supporting cast (upgrade at every position) and barely made the play offs.

I don't think Pelicans had a better supporting cast. They had bigger names but Kings had a legitimate player in Rudy Gay -- who would have been a beast with Davis. Still not seeing how they were better, tbh. Anthony Davis made them all look better if you ask me.

tredigs
08-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Do it, you seem pretty reliable.

Alright screw it I threw it up -- debate on ; )

5ass
08-09-2015, 03:32 PM
I don't think Pelicans had a better supporting cast. They had bigger names but Kings had a legitimate player in Rudy Gay -- who would have been a beast with Davis. Still not seeing how they were better, tbh. Anthony Davis made them all look better if you ask me.

Holiday, Gordon, Tyreke, Anderson and Asik all established a name for themselves before they even joined the pelicans.
Gay was considered a chucker, collison a back up PG, and that's basically all they had. Kings didn't surround Cousins with defense or shooting. Davis had both.

JLynn943
08-09-2015, 05:51 PM
he's had better players than those guys... Isiah Thomas, Tyreke Evans ( the same Tyreke that Davis has as a #2 option and winning 45 games with)... Rudy Gay... heck even Collison was good offensively and I'm sure i'm forgetting a few...

He shoots 46% because he takes a ton of 20 footers like he's JR smith or something...

Not to mention he's among the league leaders in TO's which is pretty hard for a Center to do...

He's not a winning player, that may change, but as of now his game/effort/attitude just have not been conducive to winning.

Took people a while to realize Marbury, for all his great numbers was a loser as well. Kidd came into NJ and showed what a real winning player does even without the big scoring.

When everyone was healthy last year, the Kings starting 5 of Collison, McLemore, Gay, Thompson, and Cousins was one of the top 5 starting 5s in the league statistically (honestly, I think they were #1 or #2 but I'm not sure). Cousins did everything that he could last year. It wasn't his fault that our head coach got fired for a losing streak while Cousins had meningitis. Nor was it his fault that our bench was so weak or that nobody could hit a perimeter shot.

It's always incredibly obvious when someone doesn't actually watch the Kings and just spews words they assume apply.

da ThRONe
08-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Weird that you say that, actually opponents had a harder time scoring at the basket against DMC than they did agaisnt Anthony Davis when you look at the FG% at the rim, also DMC was only behind draymond Green in points allowed on per possession.

Yes DMC turns the ball over more, but he has far less help, has a far greater usage and a far greater Assist % as well.

Davis is becoming one of the more over rated players in the league, we all want him to hit his potential so quickly we tend to forget he isn't quite there... Especially defensively

This pretty much sum up my feeling on Davis. People are forcing him into a category he does not belong in yet. In fairness his advance stats support that idea, but for me there are some many other aspects that he's lacking in.

As far as the question I think a healthy Cousins actually Nets you more wins. He is unstoppable when creating on offense while Davis is really good at this point of his career. I was a Davis doubter and I've done an almost 180 on that view, but he still IMO don't belong with Curry, Harden, Durant, Westbrook, Griffin, and certainly not James level yet.

numba1CHANGsta
08-09-2015, 08:58 PM
You can't switch a Center with a PF

Minimal
08-10-2015, 02:52 PM
You can't switch a Center with a PF
Of course you can't. I mean how stupid a man can be to even think about trading PF for C, right?