PDA

View Full Version : Knicks sign Kevin Seraphin

nycericanguy
08-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Brian Windhorst: The Knicks have agreed to terms with C Kevin Seraphin for one year and $2.8 million sources told ESPN via Twitter WindhorstESPN

Seems like a good value signing. 25 year old 6'10 280 durable big man who played well on a 50+ win team.

Will probably get more minutes in NY without Nene & Gortat.

Hawkeye15
08-04-2015, 05:45 PM
under the radar signing, I was surprised he was still out there.

mngopher35
08-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Nothing special but still a solid signing. Kind of how their off-season has gone as a whole imo.

MassoDio
08-04-2015, 05:53 PM
under the radar signing, I was surprised he was still out there.

This.

The only issue he has is consistency. He has talent. He won't ever be great, but he can be a solid rotation player and put up some surprising games.

nycericanguy
08-04-2015, 06:00 PM
Phil has made some really good value signings this summer.

Afflalo at $8m compared to Wes getting 17.5m.

Quinn at $4m

and Seraphin at 2.8...

i'm surprised WASH let Seraphin go, especially with nene's health always being an issue... but then maybe it wasn't their choice and Seraphin wanted to go somewhere else and not play behind Nene/Gortat.

DarkKnight
08-04-2015, 06:07 PM
I like the moves Phil has made this off season, 17 win season isn't going to bring the big names ... But he's put together a nice tough team

Cal827
08-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Yup, Phil Jackson has made some pretty good signings this off-season, while not overspending. I think the Knicks should improve 10-15 games at the least, and possibly contend for that last playoff spot in the East.

Come the cap spike, they should be much more appealing to free agents than they were this off-season

Whitemamba24x
08-04-2015, 06:12 PM
At this point in the offseason, not too bad. He'll provide consistent production off the bench.
One of the many things this team has lacked the last few years.

GiantsSwaGG
08-04-2015, 06:43 PM
I like it

EDUTEXANS
08-04-2015, 07:10 PM
The Knicks actually managed to put together a pretty decent, competitive team in this offseason. I don't really like Lopez getting over $13M a year, and I don't get the Porzingis pick, to be honest.

But Jerian Grant should prove to be a great value pick, and guys like Seraphin, O'Quinn and Afflalo are all great value signings and if they stay healthy, they're in pretty good shape.

nycericanguy
08-04-2015, 07:51 PM
The Knicks actually managed to put together a pretty decent, competitive team in this offseason. I don't really like Lopez getting over $13M a year, and I don't get the Porzingis pick, to be honest.

But Jerian Grant should prove to be a great value pick, and guys like Seraphin, O'Quinn and Afflalo are all great value signings and if they stay healthy, they're in pretty good shape.

Didn't like the KP pick at first either, but once you watch him not only on the court but the way he conducts himself, he has STAR written all over him. Very unique player, 7'3 with legit 3 pt range, great shot blocker, solid handle, great mid range shot. Really weight is the only issue with him right now and that will change. He has incredible poise for a rookie and that's probably because he played in the toughest EURO league for 2 years, and at 17-18 years old, still led his team in scoring which is pretty amazing.

Lopez was a bit of an overpay, but I'm excited at the length and rim protection that a Lopez/KP frontline potentially has. I think from what I've seen, KP will earn the starting PF spot in training camp.

EDUTEXANS
08-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Didn't like the KP pick at first either, but once you watch him not only on the court but the way he conducts himself, he has STAR written all over him. Very unique player, 7'3 with legit 3 pt range, great shot blocker, solid handle, great mid range shot. Really weight is the only issue with him right now and that will change. He has incredible poise for a rookie and that's probably because he played in the toughest EURO league for 2 years, and at 17-18 years old, still led his team in scoring which is pretty amazing.

It's not a knock on Porzingis. I actually like his game. I just feel like even if his ceiling is a little higher than guys like Mudiay or Winslow, his impact will never be as big as of those two, if all three pan out. If it's a toss up, I take the player than can put the team on his back with his playmaking.

It's a playmaker driven league. Love couldn't carry the Wolves to the Playoffs. Davis had a monster season last year, and the Pelicans barely made the postseason.

And of course, the Knicks need to compete now, considering Anthony's age and contract, and the moves they made, so a more NBA-ready player would be more ideal.

Lopez was a bit of an overpay, but I'm excited at the length and rim protection that a Lopez/KP frontline potentially has. I think from what I've seen, KP will earn the starting PF spot in training camp.

I'm not really a fan of two of Lopez, O'Quinn and Seraphin playing at the same time. All can hit the mid-range shot, and O'Quinn can even hit the ocasional three, but still there's not enough floor spacing on both ends. Just O'Quinn and Seraphin would be almost as good. There was no need to spend that much on Lopez, in my opinion.

GiantsSwaGG
08-04-2015, 08:44 PM
It's not a knock on Porzingis. I actually like his game. I just feel like even if his ceiling is a little higher than guys like Mudiay or Winslow, his impact will never be as big as of those two, if all three pan out. If it's a toss up, I take the player than can put the team on his back with his playmaking.

It's a playmaker driven league. Love couldn't carry the Wolves to the Playoffs. Davis had a monster season last year, and the Pelicans barely made the postseason.

And of course, the Knicks need to compete now, considering Anthony's age and contract, and the moves they made, so a more NBA-ready player would be more ideal.

I'm not really a fan of two of Lopez, O'Quinn and Seraphin playing at the same time. All can hit the mid-range shot, and O'Quinn can even hit the ocasional three, but still there's not enough floor spacing on both ends. Just O'Quinn and Seraphin would be almost as good. There was no need to spend that much on Lopez, in my opinion.

Lopez is better defensively than O'Quinn/Seraphin. He's the glue guy you need on your team.

Calderon/Galloway
Grant/Thannis
Affalo/Early/Williams
Melo/Q'Quinn/Zinger
Lopez/Seraphin

I pray that's the opening day line up and for the rest of the season.

Zefflin
08-04-2015, 08:58 PM
damn you phil...

EDUTEXANS
08-04-2015, 09:05 PM
Lopez is better defensively than O'Quinn/Seraphin. He's the glue guy you need on your team.

Calderon/Galloway
Grant/Thannis
Affalo/Early/Williams
Melo/Q'Quinn/Zinger
Lopez/Seraphin

But not worth $54M, in my opinion. Sure, with the cap going up, it's probably fair money, but I'd rather go with him and Seraphin, while keeping flexibility for next offseason, instead of paying what he's worth a year early.

That's actually my problem with these offseason's contracts. It's OK to think ahead and pay some player what he will be worth in a $90M salary cap, if he's worth hurting your flexibility. And most of those guys just are not. A guy like Lopez should get paid this much next year, but as a plan B, if you fail to get a better player. Especially in a big market like NY. And O'Quinn is a pretty good defensive player. He can provide like 70-80% of what Lopez does, while making just 30% of his salary.

GiantsSwaGG
08-04-2015, 09:23 PM
But not worth $54M, in my opinion. Sure, with the cap going up, it's probably fair money, but I'd rather go with him and Seraphin, while keeping flexibility for next offseason, instead of paying what he's worth a year early.

That's actually my problem with these offseason's contracts. It's OK to think ahead and pay some player what he will be worth in a $90M salary cap, if he's worth hurting your flexibility. And most of those guys just are not. A guy like Lopez should get paid this much next year, but as a plan B, if you fail to get a better player. Especially in a big market like NY. And O'Quinn is a pretty good defensive player. He can provide like 70-80% of what Lopez does, while making just 30% of his salary.

I agree with him being overpaid, but Seraphin (who I like as well) isn't consistent enough to my liking, plays reckless at times. O'Quinn yes is a good defensive player but he's a bit undersized at the 5, he has lil to no hops. Lopez is a better rim protector (which we desperately needed) than both of those guys. But to be fair as much as I like Lopez he is overpaid.

But I really like what the Knicks did this offseason, as for Prozingis I didn't mind them drafting him and I do believe he will be a beast, just not now. I don't expect nothing much from him this season besides a couple of "Oh wow" games where he flashes his potiential. I don't think he'll start or get a lot of playing time early.

nycericanguy
08-04-2015, 09:34 PM

Oquinn and Seraphin are 15mpg players... hopefully one of them grows into a bigger role, but we needed legit starters... so Lopez was a good signing. I doubt those 3 will ever see the floor together, maybe 2 at a time for a few minutes, but I imagine we'll see more of Lopez & KP.

I don't think Mudiay or Winslow will impact the game more than KP, and they are both just as young and neither played against grown men like KP did, so I'm not sure they are more "NBA ready" than KP. AD makes a huge impact, just because he hasn't made the playoffs yet doesnt mean he doesnt make a huge impact... his team is improving every year... Curry took a few years before he could get GSW into the playoffs. KP has potential to cause huge problems on BOTH ends. No way would I take Winslow over him...

EDUTEXANS
08-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Oquinn and Seraphin are 15mpg players... hopefully one of them grows into a bigger role, but we needed legit starters... so Lopez was a good signing. I doubt those 3 will ever see the floor together, maybe 2 at a time for a few minutes, but I imagine we'll see more of Lopez & KP.

Seraphin is a bit of a question mark, but O'Quinn is only a 3-year vet and he has showed starting caliber potential, in my opinion. It's not like Lopez is that great, either.

I don't think Mudiay or Winslow will impact the game more than KP, and they are both just as young and neither played against grown men like KP did, so I'm not sure they are more "NBA ready" than KP.

Well, Mudiay played in China, in a pro league. But that's not the point. Playing with "grown men" doesn't change the fact that Porzingis weights just 220 lbs.

AD makes a huge impact, just because he hasn't made the playoffs yet doesnt mean he doesnt make a huge impact... his team is improving every year... Curry took a few years before he could get GSW into the playoffs. KP has potential to cause huge problems on BOTH ends. No way would I take Winslow over him...

You're confusing impact with talent. Davis was a All-NBA 1st Team player this season, yet it was barely enough to make the Playoffs. You replace him with a less-talented James Harden, and you have a better team.

Look at Cousins. He just a monster season, as well. But the Kings? Not so much.

TheNumber37
08-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Robin Lopez, age 27 got 4 years 54 million
Tyson Chandler age 32 got 4 years 52 million.

Which deal would you rather have done?

TheNumber37
08-04-2015, 10:22 PM
The biggest criticism of KP is his weight and strength....

Who was the last high draft pick whose frame, strength and weight were all criticized and it turned out they were bust because they were too weak and couldn't put on weight?

KG was SKINNY
A. Davis was SKINNY
Dirk was SKINNY
K. Durant
Curry

I'm not saying KP is there, I'm saying strength and weight are of less concern to me than a broken jump shot, poor attitude, troubled past, TOO Small

HeartOfStarks
08-04-2015, 10:29 PM
You can't compare the league Mudiay played in to the one KP played in. It's literally no comparison.

KnicksorBust
08-04-2015, 10:53 PM

Calderon/Galloway
Grant/Thannis
Affalo/Early/Williams
Melo/Q'Quinn/Zinger
Lopez/Seraphin

Really doubt we see Melo starting at the 4. We should be rooting for Zinger to beat out the pack which I believe he will. Slide Afflalo back to the 2 and Grant unfortuantely to the bench.

xxplayerxx23
08-04-2015, 11:15 PM
Really doubt we see Melo starting at the 4. We should be rooting for Zinger to beat out the pack which I believe he will. Slide Afflalo back to the 2 and Grant unfortuantely to the bench.

Hopefully by mid season we ended up with this starting 5
Grant
AA
Melo
Zinger
Lopez

KnicksorBust
08-04-2015, 11:31 PM

Hopefully by mid season we ended up with this starting 5
Grant
AA
Melo
Zinger
Lopez

Yup. That would mean we have a present and future.

Although I would much rather be cheering on this 5:

Grant
Parsons
Early
Zinger
Lopez

nycericanguy
08-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Seraphin is a bit of a question mark, but O'Quinn is only a 3-year vet and he has showed starting caliber potential, in my opinion. It's not like Lopez is that great, either.

Well, Mudiay played in China, in a pro league. But that's not the point. Playing with "grown men" doesn't change the fact that Porzingis weights just 220 lbs.

You're confusing impact with talent. Davis was a All-NBA 1st Team player this season, yet it was barely enough to make the Playoffs. You replace him with a less-talented James Harden, and you have a better team.

Look at Cousins. He just a monster season, as well. But the Kings? Not so much.

KP is 233 and they put him on a program to get him to 245 before camp.

I dont know why you're so focused on AD "barely" making the playoffs, I'd say its pretty impressive that a 21 year old AD led his team to 45 wins and playoffs in the tough west. how long did it take Wall, Curry, Irving...etc... to make the playoffs? What does that have to do with anything? Are they not impact players? Making the playoffs is about your team, not just one player. DMC can't make the playoffs or sniff 30 wins because he's a moron and a malcontent who shoots 46% and only plays one end.

EDUTEXANS
08-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Robin Lopez, age 27 got 4 years 54 million
Tyson Chandler age 32 got 4 years 52 million.

Which deal would you rather have done?

Neither, right now. I'd rather go with O'Quinn and Seraphin for a combined $7M a year, while keeping flexibility for next year. Spending like this usually leads to mediocrity.

The biggest criticism of KP is his weight and strength....

Who was the last high draft pick whose frame, strength and weight were all criticized and it turned out they were bust because they were too weak and couldn't put on weight?

KG was SKINNY
A. Davis was SKINNY
Dirk was SKINNY
K. Durant
Curry

I'm not saying KP is there, I'm saying strength and weight are of less concern to me than a broken jump shot, poor attitude, troubled past, TOO Small

Sure, and I agree. And if you read what I first said about him, I'm not really criticizing him, or his game. I'm not saying he'll be a bust. He's just not NBA-ready, and the Knicks need to compete now, because they have a limited window. But that's also not the point. The Knicks entered the draft with basically only Anthony. I'd have gone in a different direction. That's all. I actually like Porzingis.

You can't compare the league Mudiay played in to the one KP played in. It's literally no comparison.

That's not really the point I was trying to make. Porzingis playing in Europe, while Mudiay played in China and Winslow in college, does not make him more NBA-ready. And it's clear when you watch them play.

KP is 233 and they put him on a program to get him to 245 before camp.

I dont know why you're so focused on AD "barely" making the playoffs, I'd say its pretty impressive that a 21 year old AD led his team to 45 wins and playoffs in the tough west. how long did it take Wall, Curry, Irving...etc... to make the playoffs? What does that have to do with anything? Are they not impact players? Making the playoffs is about your team, not just one player.

Except AD was the best prospect in many years. He's not your ordinary young player, like KP. In his third year, he already got votes in the MVP race.

Take a look at every team that could be called a contender. They all have one or two playmakers.

DMC can't make the playoffs or sniff 30 wins because he's a moron and a malcontent who shoots 46% and only plays one end.

Yeah, I'm sure you didn't watch many Sacramento games this past season. And FG%?

nycericanguy
08-05-2015, 10:11 AM
^ you're reaching realllly hard to try to make some unknown point.

We'll see if KP is not NBA ready as you say, from what I've seen he's just as ready as any of the other top 4 or 5 picks except Okafor.

And Knicks will have about $20m in cap next offseason even with Lopez, they have flexibility, you talk about NY needing to "WIN NOW" because of Melo, but at the same time you say they should have passed on a 27 year old starting C in Lopez and instead taken a chance on Seraphin & Quinn and HOPE that one develops into a starting C? Don't really get the logic there, there will be minutes and chances for all 3 of those guys. but you dont pass on a young starting C like Lopez unless you can do better.

Tony_Starks
08-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Their FA signings have been decent. I really don't like the draft pick tho, Mudaiy is exactly what you need to take the pressure off Melo and compete with the other big time PGs.

Really screwed up on that one,but what can I say their drafting post Zeek has been pretty shaky....

nycericanguy
08-05-2015, 11:01 AM
Their FA signings have been decent. I really don't like the draft pick tho, Mudaiy is exactly what you need to take the pressure off Melo and compete with the other big time PGs.

Really screwed up on that one,but what can I say their drafting post Zeek has been pretty shaky....

Grant was arguably the 2nd best PG prospect though... I was on the Mudiay train, but I didn't know Phil could land Grant for THJR.

I'd gladly take KP & Grant over THJR & Mudiay, especially since THJR only had 1 or 2 years left on his rookie deal.

I know it's just summer league but Grant played much more under control than Mudiay and had better overall numbers.

ewing
08-05-2015, 11:03 AM
HUGE move

EDUTEXANS
08-05-2015, 11:23 AM
^ you're reaching realllly hard to try to make some unknown point.

We'll see if KP is not NBA ready as you say, from what I've seen he's just as ready as any of the other top 4 or 5 picks except Okafor.

And Knicks will have about $20m in cap next offseason even with Lopez, they have flexibility, you talk about NY needing to "WIN NOW" because of Melo, but at the same time you say they should have passed on a 27 year old starting C in Lopez and instead taken a chance on Seraphin & Quinn and HOPE that one develops into a starting C? Don't really get the logic there, there will be minutes and chances for all 3 of those guys. but you dont pass on a young starting C like Lopez unless you can do better.

You can't possibly think Lopez makes the Knicks contenders. He may not even make the Knicks a Playoff team. The Knicks are now a borderline Playoff team, and they would still be a borderline Playoff team without Lopez, with O'Quinn starting. But $30M to spend in FA next year could be enough to make them contenders. And NY is a big market. $20M will obviously not be enough to land a max-contract player.

About KP, you probably watched a lot more of him in the Summer League, so you probably know better,but everyone seems to think he's the furthest from ready than the others, and more importantly, unlike Towns, Okafor, Russell and others, he has to be ready and productive right now, as the Knicks are in a different position going forward, and as of now, they kind of need him to be good, because they don't have much on the roster to replace his expected production.

nycericanguy
08-05-2015, 11:34 AM
You can't possibly think Lopez makes the Knicks contenders. He may not even make the Knicks a Playoff team. The Knicks are now a borderline Playoff team, and they would still be a borderline Playoff team without Lopez, with O'Quinn starting. But $30M to spend in FA next year could be enough to make them contenders. And NY is a big market. $20M will obviously not be enough to land a max-contract player.

About KP, you probably watched a lot more of him in the Summer League, so you probably know better,but everyone seems to think he's the furthest from ready than the others, and more importantly, unlike Towns, Okafor, Russell and others, he has to be ready and productive right now, as the Knicks are in a different position going forward, and as of now, they kind of need him to be good, because they don't have much on the roster to replace his expected production.

never said that, I don't think there was any ONE player available that would have made the Knicks contenders, but Lopez is a PIECE, a piece that every contender needs. And he's young, so why not sign him? There isn't much in terms of FA Centers in 2016 so why pass on him just in HOPES of maybe finding someone else?

$20m may not be MAX next summer but NY can easily stretch JC if need be and create another $6m in cap. The 6-9 year max will be around 22-26m. That being said I don't think Phil is just looking for big name MAX players... if KP is the real deal then he can be Melo's sidekick in 2016 and NY can add another very good piece or two with 20-26m.

as for KP... you seem to just be going with the crowd and using that as your argument... "what everyone else says"... actually, people that have seen him play, think he'll be an immediate contributor and had nothing but good things to say about him...

Russell and TOwns looked much more raw in SL, and Mudiay too... Okafor seems like the one that;s most NBA ready.

Tony_Starks
08-05-2015, 11:44 AM
Im just hoping if it looks bad again by allstar break that the Knicks do the right thing and just ship Melo out and commit to full rebuild. He's tried to stick it out no shame in it, but if they are going to be years away from contending no need to squander his good years he has left.

He doesn't strike me as the type of player that's game will age well. He's definitely a TMac or Lebron, not a Kobe.

nycericanguy
08-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Im just hoping if it looks bad again by allstar break that the Knicks do the right thing and just ship Melo out and commit to full rebuild. He's tried to stick it out no shame in it, but if they are going to be years away from contending no need to squander his good years he has left.

He doesn't strike me as the type of player that's game will age well. He's definitely a TMac or Lebron, not a Kobe.

Melo is a much better shooter than Tmac/Lebron...Tmac relied on athletic ability too much. Melo is paul pierce essentially.. he should age very well barring any major injuries. so will lebron because he has a great post game now.

EDUTEXANS
08-06-2015, 02:14 PM
never said that, I don't think there was any ONE player available that would have made the Knicks contenders, but Lopez is a PIECE, a piece that every contender needs. And he's young, so why not sign him? There isn't much in terms of FA Centers in 2016 so why pass on him just in HOPES of maybe finding someone else?

$20m may not be MAX next summer but NY can easily stretch JC if need be and create another $6m in cap. The 6-9 year max will be around 22-26m. That being said I don't think Phil is just looking for big name MAX players... if KP is the real deal then he can be Melo's sidekick in 2016 and NY can add another very good piece or two with 20-26m.

Exactly, he's just a piece. You worry about pieces after you have something actually worth building around. And the biggest chance of making that happen is keeping your flexibility. Anthony is 31 already, and KP is only 20. They really won't be stars together, if that's the hope. Even if he's the real deal. Maybe Lopez he really is a piece every contender needs, but that's not what the Knicks are. Not right now. And spending like this, they won't be. Not unless KP is the next Dirk and Melo keeps playing at this level for the next 2-4 years

as for KP... you seem to just be going with the crowd and using that as your argument... "what everyone else says"... actually, people that have seen him play, think he'll be an immediate contributor and had nothing but good things to say about him...

Russell and TOwns looked much more raw in SL, and Mudiay too... Okafor seems like the one that;s most NBA ready.

It's only SL, though. And I think you're getting a little carried away with the fact that he played in Europe. NBA is a whole different level, different rules, even court dimensions, and it takes time to adjust. It's natural. But I'm sure you watched more of him in the SL, and possibly some of him in Europe, as well. And the Knicks obviously did their job scouting him, so let's just hope he does alright. I just wouldn't expect much in his rookie season.

FriedTofuz
08-06-2015, 03:13 PM
Lol the knicks are still at the bottom of the conference. Just because they add a player doesnt mean you have to add more wins to their total, while they will improve, so will many other teams. dead last in the east once again

FriedTofuz
08-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Brian Windhorst: The Knicks have agreed to terms with C Kevin Seraphin for one year and $2.8 million sources told ESPN via Twitter WindhorstESPN

Seems like a good value signing. 25 year old 6'10 280 durable big man who played well on a 50+ win team.

Will probably get more minutes in NY without Nene & Gortat.

50 win team? Do you pull numbers out of your asss? Hey matthew delevado played on a team that went to the nba finals, he must be good. #logic

GiantsSwaGG
08-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Awwww Friedtofuz troll thread got closed now he found the lastest Knicks thread to continue his trolling. Gotta love it :laugh2:

xxplayerxx23
08-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Lol the knicks are still at the bottom of the conference. Just because they add a player doesnt mean you have to add more wins to their total, while they will improve, so will many other teams. dead last in the east once again

Zero chance they are dead last or even a bottom 3 east team.

Quinnsanity
08-07-2015, 01:10 AM
I like a lot of the individual guys we've gotten this summer. Seraphin and O'Quinn always struck me as guys better than their roles suggested. Melo is still the problem, I'd love to ship him out, but until then, I can roll with this.

xxplayerxx23
08-08-2015, 12:58 PM
I like a lot of the individual guys we've gotten this summer. Seraphin and O'Quinn always struck me as guys better than their roles suggested. Melo is still the problem, I'd love to ship him out, but until then, I can roll with this.

I always die laughing when people say melo is the problem. He hasn't had the talent needed to win it all, good teams in the west but not as good as the lakers Spurs and others. No where near as talented as the heat teams or the celtics early on hell even the pacers got it going that time. Give melo a real second option and defenders he would lead a team

Kashmir13579
08-10-2015, 01:46 AM
I can't wait for the season to start

Cal827
08-10-2015, 02:02 AM
Guys, it actually happened :laugh2: