PDA

View Full Version : Warriors Trade Gerald Wallace for Jason Thompson

sf-fanatic
07-31-2015, 05:15 PM
The Golden State Warriors have acquired forward/center Jason Thompson from the Philadelphia 76ers in exchange for forward Gerald Wallace, the team announced today. As part of the deal, Philadelphia also receives cash and draft considerations.

“We’re very happy to add Jason to our roster,” said Warriors General Manager Bob Myers. “He has a proven track record in this league and adds considerably to our team’s depth, which was a big key to our success last season and will be moving forward.”

Thompson, 29, owns career averages of 9.4 points, 6.9 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 26.5 minutes over 541 regular-season games (405 starts) in seven seasons with the Sacramento Kings, hitting 49.7 percent from the field. In 81 games last season (63 starts), he tallied 6.1 points and 6.5 rebounds in 24.6 minutes per contest. The 6’11” forward/center recorded seven double-doubles in 2014-15, including his first career 20/20 game when he tallied 23 points and a career-high 22 rebounds on Jan. 17 vs. the Clippers, one of only three players to post those numbers in a game last season (DeMarcus Cousins, Kenneth Faried).

Originally selected by the Kings with the 12th overall pick of the 2008 NBA Draft, Thompson appeared in more games in the Sacramento-era than any player in team history and ranks in the top-10 in several categories on the Kings’ all-time franchise leaderboard, including games played (eighth; 541), total rebounds (ninth; 3,746), offensive rebounds (third; 1,232), defensive rebounds (seventh; 2,514) and blocked shots (sixth; 394). The Rider University product has appeared in 541 of a possible 558 games (97%) during his seven-year NBA career. Thompson was traded to Philadelphia from Sacramento, along with Carl Landry and Nik Stauskas, on July 9, 2015.

Wallace, 33, was acquired by Golden State from Boston, along with Chris Babb, in exchange for David Lee on July 27. He owns career averages of 11.9 points, 5.8 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.44 steals and 29.7 minutes in 832 regular-season games (611 starts) over 14 NBA seasons with Sacramento, Charlotte, Portland, New Jersey/Brooklyn and Boston.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/warriors-trade-gerald-wallace-76ers-jason-thompson

lincecum=future
07-31-2015, 05:19 PM
Nice get for the dubs. They needed some size and Wallace was just going to rot away on the bench.

nycericanguy
07-31-2015, 05:24 PM
Heinke was like "wait a minute, this guy Jason Thompson is an NBA caliber player... we can't have that! Trade him away for someone we can waive immediately!"

IndyRealist
07-31-2015, 05:24 PM
Is Wallace on a non-guaranteed deal or something? Why are people trading for his contract?

nycericanguy
07-31-2015, 05:26 PM
Is Wallace on a non-guaranteed deal or something? Why are people trading for his contract?

he's an expiring so I'm guessing PHI traded for him so that they could just waive him.

Kyben36
07-31-2015, 05:29 PM
good move, saves more money, and gets them a decent big man, however, his contract is longer.

ManRam
07-31-2015, 05:37 PM
Heinke was like "wait a minute, this guy Jason Thompson is an NBA caliber player... we can't have that! Trade him away for someone we can waive immediately!"

He's barely an NBA caliber player at this point. Sub-11 PER last year. Horrible on/off and +/- numbers. Most any PF can get you 6 and 6 with no defense if given 25 minutes of PT. He's below replacement level.

Saves GSW some luxury tax $$$. Gets the 76ers closer to the floor, less long-term salary commitment and maybe a future pick. Makes sense for both. No reason to be giving Thompson minutes over Noel, Grant, Holmes and Aldemir. They already have Landry, too, later in the season if they feel a need to have a veteran body. Nothing to complain about...Thompson isn't helping much in the present, let alone the future.

Kyben36
07-31-2015, 05:41 PM
He's barely an NBA caliber player at this point. Sub-11 PER last year. Horrible on/off and +/- numbers. Most any PF can get you 6 and 6 with no defense if given 25 minutes of PT. He's below replacement level.

Saves GSW some luxury tax $$$. Gets the 76ers closer to the floor, less long-term salary commitment and maybe a future pick. Makes sense for both. No reason to be giving Thompson minutes over Noel, Grant, Holmes and Aldemir. They already have Landry, too, later in the season if they feel a need to have a veteran body. Nothing to complain about...Thompson isn't helping much in the present, let alone the future.

im under the impression he was missused though as well, he could give you quality minutes in times of need.

tredigs
07-31-2015, 05:59 PM
Love this. A defensive minded big who is more than serviceable in a backup role or to fill in for larger minutes for rest days + the event of injury. Much better than having Wallace, plus he's young enough and has enough innate talent that a jump to a contender for the first time in his career might spark a mini resurgence for him. Wallace was going to offer nothing, so you can't lose with this deal. He's never had personal issues in Sac, has he?

5ass
07-31-2015, 08:38 PM
The warriors are still by far the deepest team in the league.

2-ONE-5
07-31-2015, 08:47 PM

nailed it

BKLYNpigeon
07-31-2015, 10:26 PM
I doubt he will get any playing time on the warriors.

better then Gerald Wallace and you save money. ill take that every time .

GiantsSwaGG
07-31-2015, 10:41 PM
Thompson is still in the NBA?

tredigs
07-31-2015, 11:05 PM
Thompson is still in the NBA?

In his 20's and been a starter in Sac for the last 7 years. Not high knowledge my friend.

Htownballa1622
07-31-2015, 11:17 PM
In his 20's and been a starter in Sac for the last 7 years. Not high knowledge my friend.

You just called Jason Thompson a "defensive minded big."

tredigs
07-31-2015, 11:24 PM
You just called Jason Thompson a "defensive minded big."

I'm guessing you do very little of watching Northern California basketball outside of the Warriors the past 2 seasons. Educate yourself, that's exactly what he's turned himself into the past few seasons.

Htownballa1622
07-31-2015, 11:31 PM
I'm guessing you do very little of watching Northern California basketball outside of the Warriors the past 2 seasons. Educate yourself, that's exactly what he's turned himself into the past few seasons.

I've actually watched a bit of Jason Thompson play. I've watched him closely too because I'd usually plug him in my fantasy teams anytime one of my bigs went down. He was always hanging around the waiver wire.

"Defensive minded" is just not what I'd use to describe Jason Thompson.

JLynn943
07-31-2015, 11:37 PM
JT is a quality bench big. Tredigs is right - he's a solid defensive player. His basketball IQ isn't high and he complains constantly, but he's got a decent midrange jumper and an unconventional post move or two that work more often than you'd think. Good add for the warriors.

I was happy JT was going to be playing close to his home, but I'm sure he's good with going to the champs.

Htownballa1622
07-31-2015, 11:46 PM
I mean. I realize he plays solid defense and shuffles his feet well while getting a hand in shooters face's but to call him "defensive minded."

I guess that just took me by surprise.

GiantsSwaGG
07-31-2015, 11:52 PM

Reading your last post calling him a defensive big, that quote best suits you kid

CityofChaos
08-01-2015, 12:03 AM
Damn I remember the good old days when us warriors fan argued how Anthony Randolph was going to a better NBA player than thompson wow has time passed lol

PhillyFaninLA
08-01-2015, 12:24 AM

He's just trolling and baiting Philadelphia fans

Allphakenny1
08-01-2015, 01:13 AM
Well ****, PSD is where I come for most of my sports knowledge and you guys are confusing the **** out of me. What is it, great defender, good defender, or crap defender? A page and a half deep and no one can agree.

tredigs
08-01-2015, 01:25 AM
Well ****, PSD is where I come for most of my sports knowledge and you guys are confusing the **** out of me. What is it, great defender, good defender, or crap defender? A page and a half deep and no one can agree.

Where I've lived the past few years the Kings are the "local" team and I watch them a ton as a result. He's not great, and not crap defensively. I'd rate him between serviceable and good. It's the perfect little depth addition for our squad that often lacks rim protection and rebounding.

JLynn943
08-01-2015, 02:27 AM

As a Kings fan who has watched him for a long time, he is a pretty good defender and a valuable big to have on your bench overall.

LRPG
08-01-2015, 07:30 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-6387-Bottomless-Pancakes-Please-mqGX.gif/ Stacked

Scoots
08-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Good pickup, the Warriors make a contract smaller and turn a non-player into a player at a position of need. Thompson has never been on a team who have a history of developing players or a winning team. It will be interesting to see what becomes of him.

The only downsides to this deal is they extend some money into 2017 and whatever the "cash consideration" and "draft consideration" end up being.

CityofTreez
08-01-2015, 11:57 AM
Great signing for the Dubs.

Smart move since the Warriors have special insight of him since they've basically watched grow as a big men in this league in their division. Leave it to the sixers to trade an athletic big for an old man in Wallace.

hugepatsfan
08-01-2015, 12:49 PM

He's on an expiring deal. Out of respect for Lee, GS wanted to move him to a place he wanted to be, somewhere where he can compete for the playoffs. With his salary, destinations that could work out a trade were limited so BOS made the most sense even though they aren't a contender at the highest level. That's why GS took him back.

PHI took his contract to get extra flexibility. Instead of paying Thompson over 2 years, they're paying Wallace for just this year. Gives them added flexibility. As an added bonus, Wallace did an awesome job in BOS being a mentor and leader for the young players even as a benchwarmer so he can bring that type of veteran presence to PHI as they try and build something.

I feel awful for Wallace because like I said, he did such a great job in BOS of being a professional and helping young guys so I was hoping he could at least be on a championship roster and now he's back with a team that not only has no chance to win it all, but probably won't even at least compete for the playoffs like BOS did last year.

CityofTreez
08-01-2015, 01:14 PM
Sadly, Wallace has always had a rough career in the NBA.

With the Kings, on a great team, Adelman never played rookies. He mostly watched from the bench until he was chosen for the Dunk Contest. Once Charlotte was created, he was their first actual star who never endured a playoff atmosphere roster. From there, he's bounced around as a role player on several teams, and now this offseason is just proof that he's had a rough tenure as an NBA player. He gets traded from BOS to the best team in the league only to be traded back to a team in PHI that has the least chances to succeed.

Wallace has always been a favorite of mine with his reckless abandonment approach to the game. I wish he could've stayed in GS, but I also am a fan of JT and wish to see him contribute for the Dubs. Wish both of these players the best even though Wallace will need the word of God for where he has recently landed.

2-ONE-5
08-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Great signing for the Dubs.

Smart move since the Warriors have special insight of him since they've basically watched grow as a big men in this league in their division. Leave it to the sixers to trade an athletic big for an old man in Wallace.

lol anything to talk **** on the Sixers i see.

2-ONE-5
08-01-2015, 01:29 PM
He's on an expiring deal. Out of respect for Lee, GS wanted to move him to a place he wanted to be, somewhere where he can compete for the playoffs. With his salary, destinations that could work out a trade were limited so BOS made the most sense even though they aren't a contender at the highest level. That's why GS took him back.

PHI took his contract to get extra flexibility. Instead of paying Thompson over 2 years, they're paying Wallace for just this year. Gives them added flexibility. As an added bonus, Wallace did an awesome job in BOS being a mentor and leader for the young players even as a benchwarmer so he can bring that type of veteran presence to PHI as they try and build something.

I feel awful for Wallace because like I said, he did such a great job in BOS of being a professional and helping young guys so I was hoping he could at least be on a championship roster and now he's back with a team that not only has no chance to win it all, but probably won't even at least compete for the playoffs like BOS did last year.

he wont be in Philly past the deadline anyway

nickdymez
08-01-2015, 01:54 PM
im under the impression he was missused though as well, he could give you quality minutes in times of need.

Nope. Didnt you see ManRams post? The advanced stats say he wasnt.

On topic. I thought GW would fit nice in their offense..

Scoots
08-01-2015, 02:21 PM
I wish he could've stayed in GS

The problem is that Wallace isn't that player anymore. I wish him all the best, but he's on his last year of his last contract.

Scoots
08-01-2015, 02:24 PM

Dude, that wasn't even talking **** ... that was just reality. The Sixers have legit reasons to do the deal, but for this season it's a negative move for the team the Sixers are putting on the floor. I don't think you need to defend the Sixers as much as you do.

Scoots
08-01-2015, 02:25 PM
he wont be in Philly past the deadline anyway

They need to keep him around long enough to count his contract against the cap minimum.

2-ONE-5
08-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Dude, that wasn't even talking **** ... that was just reality. The Sixers have legit reasons to do the deal, but for this season it's a negative move for the team the Sixers are putting on the floor. I don't think you need to defend the Sixers as much as you do.

its a nothing move, literally. The only reason we took JT (and Landry) was for Nic and the draft considerations. Its not like he impacts the win column at all and the team is high on our 2nd rounder Holmes and looks like they want to give him the minutes.

CityofTreez
08-01-2015, 02:45 PM

It's pretty easy, and you getting offensive every time makes it worthwhile.

The problem is that Wallace isn't that player anymore. I wish him all the best, but he's on his last year of his last contract.

I was more referring to see his career maybe earn a ring, and retire with that accolade.
Not that he was needed in GS moreso than JT.

2-ONE-5
08-01-2015, 03:07 PM
i dont get offended its just funny the ignorance most have when talking about the sixers. logic never applies when you disagree with the plan. No one said getting JT was a good move and now dumping him is a bad one though lol.

tredigs
08-01-2015, 04:06 PM
i dont get offended its just funny the ignorance most have when talking about the sixers. logic never applies when you disagree with the plan. No one said getting JT was a good move and now dumping him is a bad one though lol.

Well, getting JT made no sense for the Sixers as their plan is not to win games yet. His use in that deal was simply to take on his+Landry's salary so that the Kings could have the cap space to swing for the fences in free agency (we saw how that turned out). It's not like this is some big move for the Warriors at all, but he will in fact provide +minutes as a depth big on the bench, and gives their team yet another piece of flexibility when showcasing different looks to different squads. For the Sixers, they just want an immediate expirin and don't care that he offers more actual on-court value than Wallace. The trade makes sense for both teams.

tredigs
08-01-2015, 04:14 PM
As far as Hinkie and the Sixers go, my #1 concern for this approach by them is that #1 - they seem to show no players actual loyalty (Embiid being surprised and less than thrilled with the Okafor pick was indicative of that... tho' with Embiid essentially out of the league at this point proved to be the right move). Regardless, though, these aren't lifetime contracts that the Sixers have on these young projects, and by the time they're ready to actually compete for the playoffs and beyond (if that happens, which I think in the East is a safe bet), who's to say they'll want to stay? I'm guessing a player would be more inclined and jump ship to a team that treats its players (in Philly they feel less like players and more like assets) a bit less like chess pieces. I could be wrong, we'll get a better feel for that when Noel is a free agent in 2017.

2-ONE-5
08-01-2015, 04:51 PM
As far as Hinkie and the Sixers go, my #1 concern for this approach by them is that #1 - they seem to show no players actual loyalty (Embiid being surprised and less than thrilled with the Okafor pick was indicative of that... tho' with Embiid essentially out of the league at this point proved to be the right move). Regardless, though, these aren't lifetime contracts that the Sixers have on these young projects, and by the time they're ready to actually compete for the playoffs and beyond (if that happens, which I think in the East is a safe bet), who's to say they'll want to stay? I'm guessing a player would be more inclined and jump ship to a team that treats its players (in Philly they feel less like players and more like assets) a bit less like chess pieces. I could be wrong, we'll get a better feel for that when Noel is a free agent in 2017.

The media hates us and does their best to get everyone else to join in, our locals included. Embiid said he knew the night before the draft that we were taking Okafor and Okafor also said he knew 2 weeks before the draft that Embiid could need surgery(FYI Embiid might play this year, we have some conflicting reports). The only player we didnt show loyalty to was MCW and im still not the biggest fan of that trade (looking better now with LAL still sucking), KJ set himself up for that trade by taking the one year deal even though that was clearly a bad trade by us but his deal seemed to play a role in it. I mean hell we arent the only team to trade a decent young player early in his career. But i will leave it tehre til the next thread hating on the sixers comes up in a few weeks if we deal Landry or someone, dont wanna derail this one about 2 other teams

tredigs
08-01-2015, 05:04 PM
The media hates us and does their best to get everyone else to join in, our locals included. Embiid said he knew the night before the draft that we were taking Okafor and Okafor also said he knew 2 weeks before the draft that Embiid could need surgery(FYI Embiid might play this year, we have some conflicting reports). The only player we didnt show loyalty to was MCW and im still not the biggest fan of that trade (looking better now with LAL still sucking), KJ set himself up for that trade by taking the one year deal even though that was clearly a bad trade by us but his deal seemed to play a role in it. I mean hell we arent the only team to trade a decent young player early in his career. But i will leave it tehre til the next thread hating on the sixers comes up in a few weeks if we deal Landry or someone, dont wanna derail this one about 2 other teams

I don't hate the Sixers at all and I do fully understand what they're attempting to do there (and realize that drafting the high-upside injured players will sometimes blow up in their face), but I just wonder if this strategy is sustainable if they don't attempt to start winning ASAP. And that to me pertains to Noel specifically. I think a lot of that will be predicated on how well he and Okafor get along.

That said, Embiid HIMSELF tweeted "OK..... Lol" immediately after the pick. How can you interpret that any other way than he was not happy?

I do hope he can get on the court. I was really, really looking forward to seeing those three. But, I have serious concerns he'll ever be able to contribute. History shows that he's too young and too big to have that many foot injuries without it being seriously career threatening.

2-ONE-5
08-01-2015, 05:36 PM
eh Embiid just likes to play around especially on social media, its nothing to take serious. Reports came out the following days that he texted Okafor and said Welcome to Philly the night before the draft.

tredigs
08-01-2015, 05:55 PM
eh Embiid just likes to play around especially on social media, its nothing to take serious. Reports came out the following days that he texted Okafor and said Welcome to Philly the night before the draft.

Hm OK. If he's just trolling that's all well and good, but it's sort of an interesting situation to do that in. I'd fully understand his concerns there (prior to his new surgery).

Scoots
08-01-2015, 11:39 PM
And somehow yet another non-sixers tanking thread becomes about Sixers tanking.

Sactown
08-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Jason Thompson has zero value.... The Kings have been trying to move him for 3 years but nobody wants him.

Why?

Because his basketball IQ is low, he'll mess up rotations regularly and is prone to fouling because of it

He has a mid range shot, sometimes... Unreliable from 15 feet is mostly a hustle guy around the rim.. is a better center than PF for sure, he's an average low post game.

Is not a shot blocking force and rotates poorly , has solid post defense and can chase some mobile PFs

Good locker room guy though, I've always liked him as a person, can't seem to connect the dots to be a reliable rotational player

Saddletramp
08-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Jason Thompson has zero value.... The Kings have been trying to move him for 3 years but nobody wants him.

Why?

Because his basketball IQ is low, he'll mess up rotations regularly and is prone to fouling because of it

He has a mid range shot, sometimes... Unreliable from 15 feet is mostly a hustle guy around the rim.. is a better center than PF for sure, he's an average low post game.

Is not a shot blocking force and rotates poorly , has solid post defense and can chase some mobile PFs

Good locker room guy though, I've always liked him as a person, can't seem to connect the dots to be a reliable rotational player

So, he's basically a more expensive Speights? Kind of redundant, yet I guess he can get flipped again.

I remember when he talked trash to Yao in one of his first seasons and Yao and soneone else on the Kimgs just looked at him funny and JT immediately looked around like "I just ****ed up, didn't I?" like when Kanye smiles in public.

tredigs
08-02-2015, 06:55 PM
So, he's basically a more expensive Speights? Kind of redundant, yet I guess he can get flipped again.

I remember when he talked trash to Yao in one of his first seasons and Yao and soneone else on the Kimgs just looked at him funny and JT immediately looked around like "I just ****ed up, didn't I?" like when Kanye smiles in public.

Mo's incompetent defensively though, so no not really. JT could actually provide some burn alongside Draymond for a combo of small-ball that can defend other C's.

Again, he's just an actual rotational asset + money saver for a year rental rather than having Wallace. And an extra guy to keep Ezeli/Speights and the upside draft pick Looney sharp and working hard in order to earn their minutes. So long as he's not a danger of being a locker room cancer (by all accounts the opposite), it's essentially the best case scenario for GS. They save a ton of money from the D. Lee contract and actually worked it into a piece who may actually provide worthwhile minutes if needed. Myers is a wizard, I'd have never thought we'd be able to get rid of Lee's contract while actually netting a potentially useful piece in return.

Scoots
08-02-2015, 07:52 PM
JT isn't a zero. On this team he'll have his role narrowly defined and his minutes limited to opportunities to succeed. He's better at D and has better range than Kuzmic who he essentially replaces on the roster.

By essentially replacing Lee and Kuzmic with JT and Babb the Warriors cut almost $10M out of their salaries this year and lose almost nothing since Lee and Kuzmic were not going to get on the floor much and their limited minutes will now be split by Ezeli, McAdoo, Looney, and JT.

Limited value yes, but not zero.

Alayla
08-02-2015, 10:18 PM
I don't hate the Sixers at all and I do fully understand what they're attempting to do there (and realize that drafting the high-upside injured players will sometimes blow up in their face), but I just wonder if this strategy is sustainable if they don't attempt to start winning ASAP. And that to me pertains to Noel specifically. I think a lot of that will be predicated on how well he and Okafor get along.

That said, Embiid HIMSELF tweeted "OK..... Lol" immediately after the pick. How can you interpret that any other way than he was not happy?

I do hope he can get on the court. I was really, really looking forward to seeing those three. But, I have serious concerns he'll ever be able to contribute. History shows that he's too young and too big to have that many foot injuries without it being seriously career threatening.

This was actually reported to be a response to LA passing on Jahill. It was taken out of context and overblown by the media the same way his *draft reaction* was.

tredigs
08-02-2015, 11:08 PM
This was actually reported to be a response to LA passing on Jahill. It was taken out of context and overblown by the media the same way his *draft reaction* was.

Reported by who? PHI media? I'd be curious to see the timeline of it exactly.

5ass
08-02-2015, 11:25 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure Embiid would've preferred playing with a guard that can make his job easier than another center who can take over his job and make him expendable. I agree with Tredigs point about loyalty. They traded MCW after one year basically showing they had no faith in him. Traded KJ because he was just trying to get a bit more money, showed they have no faith in him by refusing to invest. Hell they didn't even give him a chance to hit FA, and for what a second rounder and a possible back up PG? That trade was all on Hinkie, not KJ. Everyone is trying to get paid, if that's what caused the tension, Hinkie played it poorly. He helped create whatever tension caused their break up. Drafting Okafor showed that they're not invested in Embiid. You have to show your core that you're willing to invest in them to build trust.

ewing
08-02-2015, 11:47 PM
He's just trolling and baiting Philadelphia fans

no he's right the 76ers are an embarrassment to the league. the logic he used to justify the move is it gets you closer to the floor.

Scoots
08-03-2015, 01:28 AM
Now it's an "Embiid's emotional state at the moments before and after the Sixers draft pick" thread.

Oh please.

2-ONE-5
08-03-2015, 08:59 AM
no he's right the 76ers are an embarrassment to the league. the logic he used to justify the pick is it gets you closer to the floor.

lol says the 17 win team

2-ONE-5
08-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Now it's an "Embiid's emotional state at the moments before and after the Sixers draft pick" thread.

Oh please.

what can we say, people love to hates us right now.

MonroeFAN
08-03-2015, 09:50 AM
We passed on Jason Thompson for basically nothing.

Scoots
08-03-2015, 11:48 AM
what can we say, people love to hates us right now.

And you love to defend the Sixers :)

It's fun reading the Sixers forum where there isn't as much pointless defense of "the plan" and it's more discussion of the next step in the plan ... like which of the bunch of deep bench level players is going to get the most minutes at the point this year :)

2-ONE-5
08-03-2015, 11:55 AM
And you love to defend the Sixers :)

It's fun reading the Sixers forum where there isn't as much pointless defense of "the plan" and it's more discussion of the next step in the plan ... like which of the bunch of deep bench level players is going to get the most minutes at the point this year :)

lol i only defend when certain people talk out of their *** which is most i guess, just bcuz they disagree. Cant wait to see how everyone changes their tune throughout the season

tredigs
08-03-2015, 11:56 AM
lol i only defend when certain people talk out of their *** which is most i guess, just bcuz they disagree. Cant wait to see how everyone changes their tune throughout the season

Out of curiosity how/why do you think that will happen. Do you think the Sixers make a playoff push this year?

2-ONE-5
08-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Out of curiosity how/why do you think that will happen. Do you think the Sixers make a playoff push this year?

well if Embiid were to play like 65-75% of games this year I do think we could compete for 8th in the East with a healthy team (similar to Boston/BK last year with a losing record). We have no idea what is going with him but it seems like he wont play this year so i've been on 25 wins for a while now with like 28 being the best case.

Next year depends on FA bcuz i do think we will become more active plus we have 4 first round picks and 3 of them could be in the lotto/top 10 depending on how things shake out but if all goes right i fully expect to at least compete for 8th.

ewing
08-03-2015, 12:02 PM
lol says the 17 win team

if you want to criticize moves the knicks have made we can talk about them, we will likely agree that some of those moves not good choices. they are attempting to improve and win games though.

2-ONE-5
08-03-2015, 12:05 PM
if you want to criticize moves the knicks have made we can talk about them, we will likely agree that some of those moves not good choices. they are attempting to improve and win games though.

i have no issue with the Knicks moves, theyre medicore moves to stay a float for Melo but nothing awful aside from overpaying for Lopez. Sixers are attempting to win more games too rather people wanna disagree or not or just be ignorant and say its bcuz we cant any worse, just still not willing to overpay for mediocre vet help that has little to no impact.

tredigs
08-03-2015, 12:18 PM
well if Embiid were to play like 65-75% of games this year I do think we could compete for 8th in the East with a healthy team (similar to Boston/BK last year with a losing record). We have no idea what is going with him but it seems like he wont play this year so i've been on 25 wins for a while now with like 28 being the best case.

Next year depends on FA bcuz i do think we will become more active plus we have 4 first round picks and 3 of them could be in the lotto/top 10 depending on how things shake out but if all goes right i fully expect to at least compete for 8th.
Fwiw I do know that when Jared Dudley was asked (on Lowe's podcast) who he'd rather play for, Kings or Sixers, he didn't skip a beat in saying Kings. Essentially said he did not like how the 76ers ran their ship. Just one guy, but it felt like he was speaking to the general sentiment of the leagues free agents, and I do worry for them that this way of building crushes their chances to land free agents unless they can actually prove to have success first.

And yeah, really strange how they're approaching the Embiid situation. They won't even say if he's had his season ending surgery yet, will they?

2-ONE-5
08-03-2015, 12:25 PM
I mean no one wants to go to the Kings now so im not worried about that and guys like Dudley will have no problem coming if we are winning. Philly is still a top 4 major market with a great bball history that all these players know about and if these player are panning out it wont matter.

Embiid deal is strange, there was a recent reddit rumor that basically says the choice is being left up to him and that the bone was never re-broke, just a lose screw. From the little we know this makes some sense since Embiid was apparently working out and playing 5v5 pain free for months. The surgery would be to do a grath or whatever its called (i believe) to ensure that the screw couldnt come lose again and cause future injury.

tredigs
08-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Yeah, initially I thought the bone graph was a done deal, but when I looked up the time-table for his return last week I realized that they won't even release whether he even had it or not.

And agreed -- if they start winning the free agents will follow.

Scoots
08-03-2015, 12:38 PM

Unfortunately I think you are going to have to wait another year for the tune to change much. It takes time for people to adjust.

2-ONE-5
08-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Unfortunately I think you are going to have to wait another year for the tune to change much. It takes time for people to adjust.

agreed. even if we made the playoffs this year we will still hear it.

5ass
08-03-2015, 12:54 PM

3 of them will be in the lotto? Don't they have the Heat and Thunder picks? What am I missing?

I didn't know Embiid didn't have the surgery done yet, but in any case I think its best to just claim he's out for the year, and anything they get from him would be a nice surprise. It's just easier on the fans that way. For him, theres no need to rush a life altering decision like this. He has to explore all his options.

2-ONE-5
08-03-2015, 01:19 PM
3 of them will be in the lotto? Don't they have the Heat and Thunder picks? What am I missing?

I didn't know Embiid didn't have the surgery done yet, but in any case I think its best to just claim he's out for the year, and anything they get from him would be a nice surprise. It's just easier on the fans that way. For him, theres no need to rush a life altering decision like this. He has to explore all his options.

3 between our own, Lakers, Heat (if all went south) but i know thats not likely. We also have the rights to swap with the Kings if they have a better pick in the top 10 which could happen.

Scoots
08-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Any news on what the "cash and draft considerations" part of the deal actually is?

ewing
08-03-2015, 02:13 PM

i don't care if they start winning or not the way they went about their rebuild is a disgrace

Scoots
08-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Any news on what the "cash and draft considerations" part of the deal actually is?

Supposedly it's a pick swap next year if the Heat or Thunder finish with better records than the Warriors and the Sixers get their pick ... then and only then the Warriors would swap with the Sixers for the lower pick ... so it's not at all likely to amount to anything.

The deal also included $1M cash.

2-ONE-5
08-03-2015, 03:21 PM
Supposedly it's a pick swap next year if the Heat or Thunder finish with better records than the Warriors and the Sixers get their pick ... then and only then the Warriors would swap with the Sixers for the lower pick ... so it's not at all likely to amount to anything.

The deal also included $1M cash.

yea this is right.

2-ONE-5
08-03-2015, 03:23 PM
i don't care if they start winning or not the way they went about their rebuild is a disgrace

nah dude whats a disgrace is Melo playing 30 min the ASG then sitting out the rest of the season.

ewing
08-03-2015, 03:46 PM
nah dude whats a disgrace is Melo playing 30 min the ASG then sitting out the rest of the season.

i don't care for players getting shut down b/c their team is out of of it but it at least the knicks aren't in a major leagues situation where management tries to floor as ****** a team as possible.

2-ONE-5
08-03-2015, 03:49 PM
yet who had the worst record in the league?

ewing
08-03-2015, 04:21 PM
yet who had the worst record in the league?

the t-wolves

SeoulBeatz
08-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Knicks fans bashing the Sixers for tanking is kinda confusing when both teams tanked HARD last season. Is it because you've tanked for a year less?

5ass
08-03-2015, 04:57 PM
3 between our own, Lakers, Heat (if all went south) but i know thats not likely. We also have the rights to swap with the Kings if they have a better pick in the top 10 which could happen.

I read something about that pick swap that was kind of interesting. Basically the sixers are allowed to swap the pick only before the actual lottery draw? So they actually get the pick with the highest odds not necessarily the highest pick? Can you confirm?
Still a dumb trade by the kings though lol.

Sactown
08-03-2015, 04:59 PM
I read something about that pick swap that was kind of interesting. Basically the sixers are allowed to swap the pick only before the actual lottery draw? So they actually get the pick with the highest odds not necessarily the highest pick? Can you confirm?

I read that as well, and as someone who wasn't fond of the trade, it wasn't that dumb since they have up as much or less as teams in the past have given up to clear space...

5ass
08-03-2015, 05:08 PM
I read that as well, and as someone who wasn't fond of the trade, it wasn't that dumb since they have up as much or less as teams in the past have given up to clear space...

We dont know that yet, we need to wait and see what exactly they gave up, but I'm just not a fan of what the kings are trying to do. I have nothing against the Kings and I wish them luck, but I think in a couple of years we're going to look back and say they should've just traded cousins and started a rebuild.

2-ONE-5
08-03-2015, 06:06 PM

nah dont think that is true (cant confirm though) and never even heard of that happening before, doesnt sound like something Hinkie would go for either. That was just a SAC reporter guessing i believe.

2-ONE-5
08-03-2015, 06:24 PM
the t-wolves

correct. Followed by who?

Sactown
08-03-2015, 10:28 PM
We dont know that yet, we need to wait and see what exactly they gave up, but I'm just not a fan of what the kings are trying to do. I have nothing against the Kings and I wish them luck, but I think in a couple of years we're going to look back and say they should've just traded cousins and started a rebuild.

Why trade Cousins though? He's turning into a top player in this league on a good contract? I'm not a huge fan of the off season moves but I'm not really opposed either , either we win the 45 games we are hoping for or it crashes and burns and we end up with a top pick and we try to put another piece next to cousins

ewing
08-04-2015, 08:27 AM
Knicks fans bashing the Sixers for tanking is kinda confusing when both teams tanked HARD last season. Is it because you've tanked for a year less?

the knicks have been managed poorly for a long time and that lead to a situation where it was decided that it was best to blow the team up mid season. they didn't decide well we are not on top so we are going to be as bad as possible until we land a superstar. Look at the current off season. the knicks did not hit a homerun or throw money away but they made a real effort to floor a better team. the sixers have no interest in being good.

2-ONE-5
08-04-2015, 08:50 AM
sure we have an interest in being good, do you think our owners bought a team with the intentions to come in last place year after year and risk losing money? Sorry we dont want to be like NY and be forced to try and put a mediocre team on the floor and hope Melo can carry them when everyone else knows he cant.

Vinylman
08-04-2015, 03:51 PM

really? LMFAO

who was he gonna take minutes from? Noel or Okafor...

Get real... this is an irrelevant trade for Philly other than the potential pick and the fact that they will be dumping JT's second year...

Vinylman
08-04-2015, 04:02 PM

who are you describing here? because that is basically jason thompson

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/thompja02.html

MonroeFAN
08-04-2015, 04:18 PM
^wat?

Scoots
08-04-2015, 05:13 PM
really? LMFAO

who was he gonna take minutes from? Noel or Okafor...

Get real... this is an irrelevant trade for Philly other than the potential pick and the fact that they will be dumping JT's second year...

In no way did I say it was a bad move, but the Sixers roster is weaker after the trade than before, depth matters ... even the Warriors who were one of the healthiest teams I've ever seen in the NBA got thin at times (In one game Brandon Rush got 23 minutes, Justin Holiday got 36, and James Michael McAdoo got 28) ... depth matters when you are building a roster to win ... the Sixers are not .. yet. All the rest of it doesn't matter to people who hate the Sixers "plan". And it wasn't an irrelevant trade for Philly, they got cash, a possible pick swap, and they got $6.5M off of next years cap when they may want to use it for a player who CAN make a difference.

Vinylman
08-05-2015, 11:46 AM
^wat?

what are you confused about... the stats he quoted for Wallace are basically the same for JT...

Vinylman
08-05-2015, 11:52 AM
In no way did I say it was a bad move, but the Sixers roster is weaker after the trade than before, depth matters ... even the Warriors who were one of the healthiest teams I've ever seen in the NBA got thin at times (In one game Brandon Rush got 23 minutes, Justin Holiday got 36, and James Michael McAdoo got 28) ... depth matters when you are building a roster to win ... the Sixers are not .. yet. All the rest of it doesn't matter to people who hate the Sixers "plan". And it wasn't an irrelevant trade for Philly, they got cash, a possible pick swap, and they got $6.5M off of next years cap when they may want to use it for a player who CAN make a difference.

so many non-starters...

I said in my OP that the trade is irrelevant for Philly OTHER than

1. the potential pick swap
2. dumping the second year of JT's deal

As for your depth remark... meh... Wallace is actually more important if he plays the 3 in terms of depth and since he can also play the 4 he is more valuable than JT...

As for the Sixers "plan" I have always supported what Hinkie is doing and think those that don't understand it have a very limited knowledge of the NBA talent pool and the implications of the most recent CBA on FA movement.