PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Silas & Joe Connelly INTERVIEW (Tim Connelly's Brother): Road to the NBA

BallIsAll
07-31-2015, 09:12 AM
The road to the NBA is never an easy one, even for a player as talented, gifted and dedicated as Xavier Silas. Silas 27, made his NBA debut on April 25, 2012 after going undrafted in 2011. Silas played for two universities – starting his collegiate career with Northern Illinois University and ending it playing for University of Colorado. Silas suffered a skull fracture while playing for the 76ers summer league team on July, 13 2012. He was elbowed in the head and news broke out quickly as players and personnel around the league were worried of his well-being. Silas recovered from the injury and there were no lingering effects from the head injury. Having only played 2 regular season and 2 playoff games in the NBA with the Philadelphia 76ers, Silas is dedicated to earning his stripes playing in the D-League and oversees – most recently playing for Nea Kifisia / A.E.N.K. in the Greek A1 League. We recently caught up with Xavier Silas and he agreed to do a text interview with us and he also got us an interview with his current coach for The Basketball Tournament, Joe Connelly. Xavier told us he loved playing in Greece and told us about his experiences playing oversees.

Xavier was featured on a piece by Alex Kennedy on BasketballInsiders titled Silas’ Success Abroad May Lead to NBA Shot. Silas has shown his patience and dedication to the game as he works his way back to the NBA. If Xavier Silas does not make an NBA roster by the time the regular season starts we expect him to sign oversees with a team who could use his shooting such as Panathinaikos BC. He has expressed his pleasure playing oversees numerous times and he speaks highly of the last team and city he played for.

Xavier Silas is currently playing in the TBT (The Basketball Tournament) for the “Team City of Gods“, coached by the Denver Nuggets‘ GM Tim Connelly’s brother Joe Connelly. Connelly is a friendly character and was open to answering all of our questions. He is coaching 5 players who have played in the NBA. Joe Connelly has been praised for being able to handle the personalities of 5 NBA players on the same team in the tournament while other coaches have struggled with less high-profile players on their rosters.

We held a text interview with Xavier Silas and a phone interview with Joe Connelly. Now on to the interviews..

Xavier Silas:

Rafael Torres: Can you please explain your journey to the NBA and the adversity you endured.

Xavier Silas: My Journey has been one for the books. A lot of ups and downs. Prep school, 2 universities, D league, France, Israel, Argentina, Greece (my favorite, I loved it there). Adapting, growing as a player, and really overcoming everything that has been thrown my way is what makes me excited about my future. No matter what I’m going to bounce back. I fractured my skull and I’m still here.

Rafael Torres: When did you realize you were talented enough to play in the NBA?

Xavier Silas: Some time in high school. I think going into my junior year I realized I can do this if I give it my all.

Rafael Torres: Who was the hardest player to guard that you’ve played again....

Read Full Story: http://www.realballinsiders.com/?p=727