PDA

View Full Version : Why haven't these guys signed yet?

JasonJohnHorn
07-30-2015, 05:37 PM
JaVale McGee
Carlos Boozer
Elton Brand
Reggie Evans
JR Smith

I realize Smith may or may not opt out, but it seems like this should have been worked out by now. As for Brand and Boozer, these are both quality bigs who can rebound and would be great coming off the bench or even starting in some cases. McGee would be a bit of a gamble at this point, and Evans is a specialty player, but each of these guys has something to offer a team.

I think I heard rumours that Houston was in talks with Boozer, but then they signed Chuck Hayes, so...

Who might be able to use these guys? Where would they fit best? And why is it taking so long for teams to pick them up?

xbrackattackx
07-30-2015, 05:42 PM
Did you watch Brand last year??
Boozer and McGee should at least have some interest.

Dade County
07-30-2015, 05:57 PM
I would love if McGee could back up Whiteside.

That would insure Miami could run the same offensive game plan when Whiteside isn't on the court either o to foul trouble or him needing rest.

Pick & roll to the rim lol... If that happens, birdman will be gone fast and or Stat might be like wtf Pat lol

phantasyyy
07-30-2015, 06:08 PM
I'm curious to know what happened to Emeka Okafor.. He was suppose to be healthy enough to make comeback this year no?

5ass
07-30-2015, 06:14 PM
I'm curious to know what happened to Emeka Okafor.. He was suppose to be healthy enough to make comeback this year no?

Ezeli couldn't get a contract in the NBA. Biyombo was let go by the Hornets. Deandre is making 120 million. I don't get it...

5ass
07-30-2015, 06:25 PM
Javale-Pacers
Boozer-Mavs, just for in case of injury
Brand-retire
Evans-Heat
JR-back to the cavs

kingsdelez24
07-30-2015, 06:28 PM
Emeka Okafor can easily start on any team healthy

Scoots
07-30-2015, 07:14 PM
Ezeli couldn't get a contract in the NBA. Biyombo was let go by the Hornets.

Ezeli is under contract.

Biyombo wasn't "let go" he just wasn't given a qualifying offer (in his case that would have been 1 year at $3.52M) and signed a $6M 2 year deal with the Raptors. It looks like nobody thought he was worth more than $3M.

Offensively limited players have to be very good on D and help move the ball or they can't get on the floor it seems.

Scoots
07-30-2015, 07:15 PM

??? Uh ... no.

MonroeFAN
07-30-2015, 07:48 PM
My guess is the asking price is too high on McGee.

Boozer should be on someone's roster.

FOXHOUND
07-30-2015, 10:42 PM
JaVale McGee - Completely unreliable headcase who has little understanding of the game of basketball.

Carlos Boozer - Old, declining, undersized and horrendous defense. Doesn't do nearly enough on offense or the boards to make up for his D anymore. Plus - AND OOOOONE!

Elton Brand - Beyond done - retirement should be his next move.

Reggie Evans - Old and very one dimensional skill set as a rebounder. No value to a bad/young team, and hard to get minutes on any good team when there's much better players.

JR Smith - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGT1dQHEd7E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6364ItTQwUw

slaker619
07-30-2015, 11:43 PM
JaVale McGee - Mavs/Pacers
Carlos Boozer - Knicks/Rockets
Elton Brand - Retires/Hawks
Reggie Evans - Raptors/Knicks
JR Smith - Celtics/Hornets

Clippersfan86
07-31-2015, 12:30 AM
I badly want a Reggie Evan reunion with Clippers. Dumb *** team let him go for peanuts after a great season off the bench and he regularly earned standing ovations for us in 2012. I know it's been 3 years and he's extremely one dimensional but I'd bring him back for toughness and chemistry reasons. Fantastic locker room guy and the Zbo stopper.

Whitemamba24x
07-31-2015, 01:33 AM
Surprised Boozer has yet to sign anywhere. He was solid for LA last season.
Capable of producing off bench for contender.

Kyben36
07-31-2015, 01:49 AM
Javale Mcgee and JR smith are simply due to stupidity and off court issues. Evans just isnt that good, Brand is old as can be. and Boozer, while still OK, isnt great IMO.

slashsnake
07-31-2015, 03:40 AM
Javale Mcgee and JR smith are simply due to stupidity and off court issues. Evans just isnt that good, Brand is old as can be. and Boozer, while still OK, isnt great IMO.

Also what are they asking for? JR was holding out for a raise, and a winning team. Evans yeah... great rebounder, not much of anything else (big body but can shoot right over him). Javale is borderline crazy and hasn't shown any improvement in his game..

But my guess is they cut off talks for less than what they thought they were worth. Now only Philly, and maybe Portland has any cap room. So they are hoping in some cases their old teams will take them back...

PhillyFaninLA
07-31-2015, 04:33 AM
JaVale McGee - head case, overrated...needs to be realistic, he may benefit from a 1 yr vet minimum deal and good behavior
Carlos Boozer - I suspect he has unrealistic contract demands, if he is asking for a max deal he'll never be signed, take a $7 - $10 mil a year deal
Elton Brand - old, I'd love to see the Sixers bring him back to help mentor our bigs and move into a coaching position
Reggie Evans - he's old, but maybe he isn't sure what he wants to do, or maybe no good team wants him as a backup and he is willing to wait
JR Smith - If I'm Cleveland I don't want or need him back, he is not a smart person or a smart basketball player, his only value is when he gets hot....not sure why any team would pay him that much and he doesn't add value to a bad team

krrys11
07-31-2015, 06:00 AM
There is rumors around Sasha Vujacic coming back to NBA. According to some reports, Knicks are in talk with him.

Sasha > JR ?

thenaj17
07-31-2015, 07:03 AM
JaVale McGee
Carlos Boozer
Elton Brand
Reggie Evans
JR Smith

I realize Smith may or may not opt out, but it seems like this should have been worked out by now. As for Brand and Boozer, these are both quality bigs who can rebound and would be great coming off the bench or even starting in some cases. McGee would be a bit of a gamble at this point, and Evans is a specialty player, but each of these guys has something to offer a team.

I think I heard rumours that Houston was in talks with Boozer, but then they signed Chuck Hayes, so...

Who might be able to use these guys? Where would they fit best? And why is it taking so long for teams to pick them up?

This statement alone should discredit any argument you ever make again in the future...

mightybosstone
07-31-2015, 08:56 AM
I would have liked Boozer in Houston, but I kind of prefer having Chuckwagon back in Houston for defensive purposes. The Rockets already have two quality offensive 4s who can hit a mid-range jumper. They needed someone to be able to put a body on opposing offensive 4s. Also, they wouldn't have been able to add him for anything less than the veteran minimum, so that may have been an issue with contract negotiations.

I still wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of a sign and trade deal with LA involving Terrence Jones. Jones and Motiejunas will both be FA after this season, and Morey clearly prefers D-Mo at this point. I'd be a little surprised if Jones is still on the roster at the trade deadline.

As for the other guys on this list, I'm not that surprised they're still un-signed. McGee and Smith can be headcases and Brand is past the point of being a quality rotational player for a playoff team. I haven't seen Evans play in a while, but he wasn't exactly ever a solid starter. I'm sure most, if not all, of these guys will make an NBA roster, but they may just be looking waiting for the perfect situation.

The real question at this point is, What in the hell is going on with the Tristan Thompson contract discussions? That's what I want to know...

RLundi
07-31-2015, 09:59 AM
How is Brand a "quality big"?

EDUTEXANS
07-31-2015, 10:44 AM
I'm surprised Boozer hasn't drawn more interest. The only teams that reportedly showed interest were the Rockets, the Knicks and the Mavs, and Houston is out after signing Hayes. Sure, at 33 he isn't the player he used to be, and defensively, he's non-existent. But, stat-wise, he hasn't declined that much. Still posted basically 18 and 10 per36 last season. Luis Scola quickly got a $3M deal, and as much as I love him, Boozer is still the superior and younger player, and unless he's a bad locker room guy or something, I fail to understand the lack of interest.

I'd like to hear from Knicks fans, but he seems like a good fit in NY, as they can take their time developing Porzingis. Next to centers like Lopez and O'Quinn, he might work just fine.

PhillyFaninLA
07-31-2015, 10:45 AM

Well if your calendar says 99 - 00 thru 10 - 11 he would qualify

PhillyFaninLA
07-31-2015, 10:47 AM
I'm surprised Boozer hasn't drawn more interest. The only teams that reportedly showed interest were the Rockets, the Knicks and the Mavs, and Houston is out after signing Hayes. Sure, at 33 he isn't the player he used to be, and defensively, he's non-existent. But, stat-wise, he hasn't declined that much. Still posted basically 18 and 10 per36 last season. Luis Scola quickly got a $3M deal, and as much as I love him, Boozer is still the superior and younger player, and unless he's a bad locker room guy or something, I fail to understand the lack of interest.

I'd like to hear from Knicks fans, but he seems like a good fit in NY, as they can take their time developing Porzingis. Next to centers like Lopez and O'Quinn, he might work just fine.

I think he has to be being unrealistic with salary demands....maybe he should sign a one year deal (at vet minimum) for a low to mid projected playoff seed and build value and get a bigger contract next year when the cap shoots up

JasonJohnHorn
07-31-2015, 10:58 AM

I think he was taking this year off to get healthy. Hopefully he's back next season. He could also be a real difference make for a team.

Good call.

JasonJohnHorn
07-31-2015, 11:01 AM
I badly want a Reggie Evan reunion with Clippers. Dumb *** team let him go for peanuts after a great season off the bench and he regularly earned standing ovations for us in 2012. I know it's been 3 years and he's extremely one dimensional but I'd bring him back for toughness and chemistry reasons. Fantastic locker room guy and the Zbo stopper.

That would be great for them. To spell DaJ with a great energy player/rebounder like Evans. I'm sure he's slowed a little bit, but Evans can outrebound DaJ, which is pretty impressive.

JasonJohnHorn
07-31-2015, 11:03 AM

He has a good fundamental skill set, is an experienced vet, and can be had for cheap. Even if he isn't a rotation player, he's still a solid insurance player for foul trouble and injury.

JasonJohnHorn
07-31-2015, 11:06 AM

I think the Pistons should throw some money at him. Losing two starters (Monroe and Smith) for nothing, he'd be a solid pick up if just to fill out the bench, though I'd imagine he'd at least want to go to a contender. Perhaps he could take a deal with ATL or LAC to come off the bench.

EDUTEXANS
07-31-2015, 11:06 AM
I think he has to be being unrealistic with salary demands....maybe he should sign a one year deal (at vet minimum) for a low to mid projected playoff seed and build value and get a bigger contract next year when the cap shoots up

I seriously doubt many teams are looking to sign him at anything more than the minimum. Mayble he's looking for MLE money, but at this point, with guys like Josh Smith signing for the vet min, he shouldn't know how much teams are willing to pay him.

EDUTEXANS
07-31-2015, 11:12 AM
I think the Pistons should throw some money at him. Losing two starters (Monroe and Smith) for nothing, he'd be a solid pick up if just to fill out the bench, though I'd imagine he'd at least want to go to a contender. Perhaps he could take a deal with ATL or LAC to come off the bench.

He doesn't really seem like a SVG player. They're probably better off playing small ball exclusively, with Ilyasova, Tolliver and Morris.

Atlanta seems to make more sense, although getting Splitter was a nice move to give Horford some time at the 4.

PhillyFaninLA
07-31-2015, 11:16 AM
I seriously doubt many teams are looking to sign him at anything more than the minimum. Mayble he's looking for MLE money, but at this point, with guys like Josh Smith signing for the vet min, he shouldn't know how much teams are willing to pay him.

That is my point...I think he is over valuing himself and expecting someone to pay him what he thinks he is worth and not what they are willing to. That is also why I said I think he should sign a vet minimum one year deal for a low to mid playoff seed team.

EDUTEXANS
07-31-2015, 11:30 AM
That is my point...I think he is over valuing himself and expecting someone to pay him what he thinks he is worth and not what they are willing to. That is also why I said I think he should sign a vet minimum one year deal for a low to mid playoff seed team.

That's why he has an agent.

RLundi
07-31-2015, 01:47 PM
He has a good fundamental skill set, is an experienced vet, and can be had for cheap. Even if he isn't a rotation player, he's still a solid insurance player for foul trouble and injury.

Not so much. He's 36 with the body and injury history of a 40 year old. Last year he was completely unproductive and was a negative by some measures. He played a third of the team's games. And he's much closer to retirement than a quality big at this point. He could absolutely not start in any case.

Why hasn't he signed, you ask?

JasonJohnHorn
07-31-2015, 01:54 PM
This statement alone should discredit any argument you ever make again in the future...

I shouldn't have include Brand in the starting comment, but Brand is a good fundamental player, and I think he's be a solid bench player on a lot of teams. He didn't get to play a lot in ATL, because they had better options.

As for 'discrediting any argument', in the future, a person is more than capable of being wrong about one thing and being right about another. If you don't understand that, then you simply don't have basic reasoning skills.

I think Brand could still contribute to a team. I think if a team like GSW picked him up to replace Lee, and come in when guys are in foul trouble of they have some match-up issues, he could be helpful.

Boozer is still a starter in this league. If you don't agree with that, that's fine. He average 17/10 per36 last year on .500 shooting. If that isn't a starter, I don't know what is. Sure, many teams would have a better option, but he's still a solid rebounder, even if he isn't a strong defender.

If you are going to dismiss any argument somebody makes because you think Boozer shouldn't be a rotation player in the NBA when he can still get double-digit rebounds, shoot over 500 and call for a double team in the post, then I don't really care what you think, because you clearly under value some things that are very important to the game.

JasonJohnHorn
07-31-2015, 01:56 PM
He doesn't really seem like a SVG player. They're probably better off playing small ball exclusively, with Ilyasova, Tolliver and Morris.

Atlanta seems to make more sense, although getting Splitter was a nice move to give Horford some time at the 4.

You are probably right. But Boozer, on nights when he's playing well, can call a double team, or force a guy to stay close to him, which can spread the floor. And he knows how to hit a 15 footer, so if somebody else (Drummond) is in the post, he can step out and open up the paint a little (which Monroe couldn't do).

But yeah... SVG doesn't use post players particularly well, and the league in general seems to be going with small ball.

Good observation.

JasonJohnHorn
07-31-2015, 02:01 PM
Not so much. He's 36 with the body and injury history of a 40 year old. Last year he was completely unproductive and was a negative by some measures. He played a third of the team's games. And he's much closer to retirement than a quality big at this point. He could absolutely not start in any case.

I've been watching ball for a long time. I've seen a number of teams pick up guys this old, who were great when they were young, and they step up for some important stretches in the playoffs, even if their averages are quite meager. That might be a bias on my part. And I was a big fan of Brand's game when he was young, which might also be a bias on my part.

I've seen guys like Tree Rollins in his Orlando days, and Robert Parish in his Charlotte days, or Alonzo Mourning when he went back to the Heat and Antonio McDyssee in San Antonio.... these guys weren't getting big minutes, but they could make an important contribution and were good locker room guys and mentors. That is more the kind of roll I see for Brand at this point. But I am legitimately surprised that nobody would be interested in offering him a vet min., even if they weren't planning on playing him much.

bstnfn34
08-01-2015, 07:08 PM

I've been watching ball for a long time. I've seen a number of teams pick up guys this old, who were great when they were young, and they step up for some important stretches in the playoffs, even if their averages are quite meager. That might be a bias on my part. And I was a big fan of Brand's game when he was young, which might also be a bias on my part.

I've seen guys like Tree Rollins in his Orlando days, and Robert Parish in his Charlotte days, or Alonzo Mourning when he went back to the Heat and Antonio McDyssee in San Antonio.... these guys weren't getting big minutes, but they could make an important contribution and were good locker room guys and mentors. That is more the kind of roll I see for Brand at this point. But I am legitimately surprised that nobody would be interested in offering him a vet min., even if they weren't planning on playing him much.

First player to come to my mind is pj Brown on the Celtics championship team. He was old and many thought should have hung it up but he was an integral part of the championship in limited run

JasonJohnHorn
08-01-2015, 07:48 PM
First player to come to my mind is pj Brown on the Celtics championship team. He was old and many thought should have hung it up but he was an integral part of the championship in limited run

PJ Brown is a great example. He actually had a few teams call him and he declined. Then Allen Pierce and KG visited him at his house during the All-Star weekend (I beeive the game was held in his city that year) and talked him into signing with Boston.

The Knicks actually had a great season when they did this. They brought in Jason Kidd (who was still playing at a high level), Kurt Thomas, Marcus Camby, Rasheed Wallace and K-Mart, and even a 35-year-old rookie from Europe (Pablo Prigioni) and a 28-year-old rookie (Chris Copeland). They'd also brought in Baron Davis the year before I beleive. That roster worked out really well for them. Kidd was the only one who got a lot of minutes, but the others guys were good bech guys, mentors.

When it's the closing minutes of a quarter or half, and you got a key guy in foul trouble, there can be a huge difference between bringing in a rookie/sophomore/D-league guy, and bringing in a 15-year vet. Some of these guys who are 34 can put up better numbers than the 24-year-olds, but teams are trying to develop talent if they aren't in a position to win, so they give the minutes to the young guy. But when you are deep in a playoff run, it helps to have guys who know where to stand on defense and won't commit ant stupid turnovers or fouls. Brand had a solid season last year when the Hawks had injuries in the front court; this year they were healthy so the didn't call on him as much, and a lack of minutes can negatively impact efficiency. But that said, I think if say the Spurs hadn't picked up David West, Brand could have been a good option (though with fewer minutes), and the Clippers could use a guy like that sitting at the end of the bench.

tredigs
08-01-2015, 10:18 PM

You're essentially saying he'd easily be the best big in the NBA if he returned... lol.

The Mavs are one team that I know who are contemplating signing him, but nobody seems to want to take the risk.

kingsdelez24
08-02-2015, 12:23 AM

You're essentially saying he'd easily be the best big in the NBA if he returned... lol.

The Mavs are one team that I know who are contemplating signing him, but nobody seems to want to take the risk.

No I didn't, I greatly implied that he's a starting caliber big when healthy. He offers good rim protection and is far from inept offensively

tredigs
08-02-2015, 12:36 AM
No I didn't, I greatly implied that he's a starting caliber big when healthy. He offers good rim protection and is far from inept offensively

... When he last played 3 seasons ago... when he was 30. Saying he could easily start on any team directly states that you think he'd start over Draymond and/or Bogut, LMA and/or Duncan, Gasol and/or Noah, etc. Like I said, there's a couple teams he could MAYBE start for at this point if he hasn't fallen off too much (health or no health, he has fallen off missing multiple NBA seasons and aging into his 30's), but clearly none of them are even willing to take a waiver on him at this juncture for a reserve role.

Arch Stanton
08-02-2015, 01:27 AM
I think JR and his agent regret not picking up the player option. I think the Cavs bring him back on a 2-year deal close to his previous player option, with maybe a team option on year 2. JR gets a lot of heat for his poor finals performance, but he was filling in as a 2nd option. He's not a 2nd option. He's a great 5th/6th option, and won two games for the Cavs against the Bulls and Atlanta.

Scoots
08-02-2015, 11:35 AM
I've seen guys like Tree Rollins in his Orlando days, and Robert Parish in his Charlotte days, or Alonzo Mourning when he went back to the Heat and Antonio McDyssee in San Antonio

Jermaine O'Neal and Amare Stoudamire too ... but that whole list other than Boozer actually try to make plays on D too. Boozer was a bad defensive player when he was young and healthy.

I think teams are looking to their bigs to be able to do a lot more than score and rebound now ... they want them to play D, and not just post D they want them to be able to step out and cover on picks and get back to the post quickly. It may be a bad example, but the Warriors would attack Boozer on every play and his coach would remove him within a couple minutes ... it's the way the game is going, if you have a defensive weakness teams now are better at exposing them than they used to be and for higher returns per possesion than they used to.

I expect these guys will get jobs, but what is holding them back now is probably asking for more than the vet minimum.