PDA

View Full Version : Kobe to Play Small Forward This Season.....

Tony_Starks
07-30-2015, 12:06 PM
B Scott has said he wants the DLo and Clarkson to start together so he pictures Kobe at the 3. Even said he may slide him over to the 4 occasionally, situational of course.

I think this is a good look for Kobe on the way out. Saves him from chasing around athletic 2's on D and saves his legs some, also gets him to the elbows where he is most effective at this point in his career as opposed to operating full length of the floor taking the young bucks out of their rhythm.

Do you think he's up to the challenge at this stage? Can it be effective?

( typical Kobe haters you may take the day off, thanx)

cmellofan15
07-30-2015, 12:19 PM
I think it could work if Kobe decides to expend more of his energy on defense rather than offense. Russell is a very capable scorer and Clarkson can shoulder some of that load as well. If Kobe drops down from 20 to 12ish FGA a game then the Lakers will be in a lot better position.

nickdymez
07-30-2015, 12:33 PM
I think it could work if Kobe decides to expend more of his energy on defense rather than offense. Russell is a very capable scorer and Clarkson can shoulder some of that load as well. If Kobe drops down from 20 to 12ish FGA a game then the Lakers will be in a lot better position.

Clarkson is a much better scorer than Russell.

I think it could definitely work.

Tony_Starks
07-30-2015, 12:36 PM

Well we see that he is capable of playing the facilitator well. And that was with the Lin's, Boozers, Wes Johnsons of the world.

With some actual weapons and scorers around him it could be a good fit, especially playing from the mid-post/ high post.

I like the fact that it let's Clarkson match up with the sgs on D, he's shown he can be a very capable defender. Kobe has basically been playing free safety the last few years, that's easier to do at SF especially with Hibbert back there as a safety net.

Scoots
07-30-2015, 12:59 PM
I think if he's kept to 25-28 minutes a night and they hide him on the opponents least effective offensive player he could be very effective.

Hawkeye15
07-30-2015, 01:11 PM
It could work if they keep Kobe under 30 mpg, and he takes on more of a facilitator role, versus ball stopping. Clarkson wasn't much of a defender in year 1, but I think he has the lateral quickness and smarts to be a good defender as soon as this year. Russell is going to struggle some his rookie year with the speed of the game, but I like him as a long term offensive prospect for sure. If anything, sharing the court/locker room/training room with Kobe for a year is only going to benefit their young backcourt. Kobe will for sure be guarding the other teams weakest wing player to save his knees/body.

I still think Clarkson is traded for help at the wing.

Tony_Starks
07-30-2015, 01:27 PM
It could work if they keep Kobe under 30 mpg, and he takes on more of a facilitator role, versus ball stopping. Clarkson wasn't much of a defender in year 1, but I think he has the lateral quickness and smarts to be a good defender as soon as this year. Russell is going to struggle some his rookie year with the speed of the game, but I like him as a long term offensive prospect for sure. If anything, sharing the court/locker room/training room with Kobe for a year is only going to benefit their young backcourt. Kobe will for sure be guarding the other teams weakest wing player to save his knees/body.

I still think Clarkson is traded for help at the wing.

Nah Clarkson is here to stay. They are very high on him, him and Russell are set as our backcourt of the future. One of the main reasons B Scott is sliding Kobe over, to let them develop a chemistry.

I do agree with hiding Kobe on D is going to be great for everyone, its crazy they are just figuring that out tho. Why they have had him out there on the Klay Thompsons of the world like he is Frobe is beyond me.

In spurts sure, but the whole game? Come on.

Hawkeye15
07-30-2015, 01:36 PM
Nah Clarkson is here to stay. They are very high on him, him and Russell are set as our backcourt of the future. One of the main reasons B Scott is sliding Kobe over, to let them develop a chemistry.

I do agree with hiding Kobe on D is going to be great for everyone, its crazy they are just figuring that out tho. Why they have had him out there on the Klay Thompsons of the world like he is Frobe is beyond me.

In spurts sure, but the whole game? Come on.

I think Clarkson/Russell just have overlapping skillsets, and Clarkson could probably bring back something to help even out the roster. They have time to figure that out.

Idk why it took them so long haha. And yes, in certain situations, Kobe could have still been asked to stick a player for 3-4 possessions to close a game, etc. I wouldn't even try that now, not with his injuries. Let the man coast on that end as much as possible.

Scoots
07-30-2015, 01:51 PM
They put Kobe on Curry last year I think to get Kobe's competitive spirit going and he really tried, but he just doesn't have the quickness for the job anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwxurH0dGmA

DanG
07-30-2015, 02:09 PM
They put Kobe on Curry last year I think to get Kobe's competitive spirit going and he really tried, but he just doesn't have the quickness for the job anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwxurH0dGmA

That was great defense just better offense.

I really hope he stays healthy and plays around 25-30 mpg. He has to play defense and share the ball if the lakers want any shot at the 8th seed. Playing him at the 3 makes sens because it gives a chance for DRuss-Clarkson-Randle to grow together.

Scoots
07-30-2015, 02:33 PM
That was great defense just better offense.

I really hope he stays healthy and plays around 25-30 mpg. He has to play defense and share the ball if the lakers want any shot at the 8th seed. Playing him at the 3 makes sens because it gives a chance for DRuss-Clarkson-Randle to grow together.

Yeah, that's why I said that "he really tried" ... but a young Kobe would not have given that much space.

MonroeFAN
07-30-2015, 02:45 PM
Lakers forum

GoferKing_
07-30-2015, 05:08 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this is a stupid idea to put Kobe at SF? And how can you say Russell is a capable scorer when he did not play even 1 min in the NBA? No rookie form this draft is a sure-fire.

Scoots
07-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this is a stupid idea to put Kobe at SF? And how can you say Russell is a capable scorer when he did not play even 1 min in the NBA? No rookie form this draft is a sure-fire.

For the Lakers "good idea" is spelled T-A-N-K-I-N-G :)

Kashmir13579
07-30-2015, 07:21 PM
I like it for Lobe.

Hawkeye15
07-30-2015, 07:28 PM

The Lakers aren't sniffing the playoffs, why not play the young guys? Kobe will get his minutes, and his shots for his farewell, and mentor younger players ideally.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-30-2015, 10:06 PM

The Lakers aren't sniffing the playoffs, why not play the young guys? Kobe will get his minutes, and his shots for his farewell, and mentor younger players ideally.

8th seed baby!!!!! Book it

Chronz
07-30-2015, 10:19 PM
define hater. define work.

FlashBolt
07-31-2015, 12:53 AM
Lakers are not making the eighth seed. First off, Kobe had his worst season just last season. Then you're asking him to guide a team full of rookies and unproven players. There are no veterans on this team. Roy Hibbert is a total nobody and an embarrassment to anyone 7'0+, Lou Williams will provide more shotjacking coupled with Nick Young (great idea, you can't sign anyone so you decide it's best to sign someone who's only asset is to score the ball, then you have Brandon Bass who is a good player but a role player nonetheless. I don't see this team making the playoffs.

LAC
Spurs
Houston
OKC
Memphis
GSW
Pelicans/Jazz/Dallas

are all better teams than the Lakers.

sep11ie
07-31-2015, 01:25 AM
It's a great idea, since the Lakers are after high draft picks and sucking.

Kyben36
07-31-2015, 03:26 AM
if kobe is anything like old kobe, yes, if not, he will look equally average at SF than he does at SG. I think he could, but defensivly he could get in some trouble against some players.

FraziersKnicks
07-31-2015, 06:58 AM
This is great news..... For LeBron, KD and Melo.

I just don't see how the Lakers are gonna be able to game plan for one of those guys when Kobe is playing the 3. They will absolutely torch him.

But I said something negative about a 37 year old coming off 3 serious injuries trying to defend the 3 best offensive small forwards of our generation, so I'm a hater :rolleyes:

thenaj17
07-31-2015, 07:07 AM
B Scott has said he wants the DLo and Clarkson to start together so he pictures Kobe at the 3. Even said he may slide him over to the 4 occasionally, situational of course.

I think this is a good look for Kobe on the way out. Saves him from chasing around athletic 2's on D and saves his legs some, also gets him to the elbows where he is most effective at this point in his career as opposed to operating full length of the floor taking the young bucks out of their rhythm.

Do you think he's up to the challenge at this stage? Can it be effective?

( typical Kobe haters you may take the day off, thanx)

You mean, hovers near the paint not guarding anyone? I can't remember the last time i saw Kobe actually chase anyone. Effort levels the last 2 healthy seasons have been embarrassing

IBleedPurple
07-31-2015, 07:45 AM
This is tanking validation, a good reason to play Kobe less minutes.

mightybosstone
07-31-2015, 09:00 AM
This is probably a good move for Kobe to get him fewer minutes. Yeah, he's going to get manhandled by some of the larger, more athletic SFs. But against most SFs, the downgrade in quickness required to defend the position should help his aging legs. The Lakers perimeter defense is going to be awful, but that was pretty much always going to happen anyway. So why not give Kobe the best chance to succeed and enjoy what may be his last season since the Lakers have almost zero chance at a playoff birth?

mightybosstone
07-31-2015, 09:04 AM
I have a serious question for Lakers fans that's somewhat off topic... I've been thinking about it lately, and Kobe is easily one of the most competitive athletes in the history of professional sports. Playing for a rebuilding team can't be that enjoyable for him. There's been a lot of talk about him retiring a Laker after this season. But if he has something left in the tank this season and the Lakers don't add a star or two next summer, is there any chance Kobe takes a paycut to play on a contender elsewhere in the league? For guys who really follow the guy and Lakers media, what are your takes on that situation?

raiderposting
07-31-2015, 10:01 AM
Kobe is gonna retire a laker lol

DanG
07-31-2015, 11:03 AM
I have a serious question for Lakers fans that's somewhat off topic... I've been thinking about it lately, and Kobe is easily one of the most competitive athletes in the history of professional sports. Playing for a rebuilding team can't be that enjoyable for him. There's been a lot of talk about him retiring a Laker after this season. But if he has something left in the tank this season and the Lakers don't add a star or two next summer, is there any chance Kobe takes a paycut to play on a contender elsewhere in the league? For guys who really follow the guy and Lakers media, what are your takes on that situation?

No chance he does that IMO. I think he either takes a paycut to play with stars on the lakers or retires. Can't imagine him in another uniform.

Chacarron
07-31-2015, 11:19 AM

Kobe will take as much as he can. He understands it's a business first and has said before that he does not do pay cuts. If he does decide to look around come free agency though, he won't get offers anywhere close to his current salary. I also doubt the Lakers let him walk if he doesn't retire because he simply generates too much revenue for them.

Stinkyoutsider
07-31-2015, 12:03 PM
I like the move to the small forward spot because Kobe isn't nearly as quick as he used to be. But, I don't think Kobe is worried about anyone developing their games when this might be his last year. And, I'm sure that Kobe isn't going to start the season as a facilitator but instead as the same Kobe we've gotten used to seeing (lots of FGAs).

With Kobe's competitiveness and drive, I think he's going to come out and try to carry the team to start the season and might back off a little if he sees Randle and the other young players producing well.

Tony_Starks
07-31-2015, 12:45 PM
This is great news..... For LeBron, KD and Melo.

I just don't see how the Lakers are gonna be able to game plan for one of those guys when Kobe is playing the 3. They will absolutely torch him.

But I said something negative about a 37 year old coming off 3 serious injuries trying to defend the 3 best offensive small forwards of our generation, so I'm a hater :rolleyes:

Wait so you mean to tell me Kobe would end up getting torched by 3 stars that routinely torch the majority of the league, guys that players in their prime can't even defend?

Wow, the shame!!

Scoots
07-31-2015, 01:04 PM
if kobe is anything like old kobe

Kobe is OLD Kobe ... he's not suddenly going to be young Kobe again :)

Tony_Starks
07-31-2015, 01:09 PM

You'll never see him another jersey, his legacy has long been set. As you mentioned he's also a fierce competitor,so jumping ship to a stacked team to ring chase is just not in his DNA.

Now if he still has more in the tank I could see him taking a paycut so they add some more weapons for his last dance. Jeanie would have to be in charge by then with Magic counseling tho, no way in hell he takes a paycut so Jimmy can screw it up and squander it.

Either way it goes he's retiring Laker for life,book it.

Tony_Starks
07-31-2015, 03:57 PM
define hater. define work.

hater= Scar from the Lion King

work= any legitimate task done in a 9 to 5 setting,or making it wobble on a pole.

Dade County
07-31-2015, 06:20 PM
You'll never see him another jersey, his legacy has long been set. As you mentioned he's also a fierce competitor,so jumping ship to a stacked team to ring chase is just not in his DNA.

Now if he still has more in the tank I could see him taking a paycut so they add some more weapons for his last dance. Jeanie would have to be in charge by then with Magic counseling tho, no way in hell he takes a paycut so Jimmy can screw it up and squander it.

I can see the Lakers front office making a deal with Kobe and releasing/cutting him; then he goes to Miami to back up D Wade.

Tony_Starks
07-31-2015, 06:43 PM

I can see the Lakers front office making a deal with Kobe and releasing/cutting him; then he goes to Miami to back up D Wade.

That's about as likely as Lebron starring in Barbershop 3.....

FlashBolt
08-01-2015, 03:17 PM
As a fan of NBA, I would hate to see Kobe end up as a washed up bench player who is sticking along on a great team to win a ring. He should retire if the Lakers do not end up making drastic improvements within the next years. He has too much pride to end up like many other players who just stuck around for too long. With that being said, Lakers aren't going to win anything in the near future. Social media has made big markets somewhat, irrelevant. There is nothing better than marketing your brand via social media these days. The idea of having to go to NY/LA to do that is over -- meaning, LAL will have less power. No one wants to play with an old SG who is rough and tough but is still stuck on shooting a ton of shots and makes an insane amount of money. That's just a fact. Kobe has to retire before the LAL really win anything. I get the idea of him being there to help develop players but does anyone here really think Kobe can be a first option? Those days are OVER; unless you are suggesting hogging the ball and taking 24+ shots a first option player. As for Kobe going to SF, I can see how it will help him in terms of doing less but is it going to make a difference between making the playoffs and not? Hardly. The only reason Scott is thinking about doing this is because they should have drafted another position but decided that having guards is a bigger priority and now wants to see what Clark/DLo can do before trading one of them off in the near future. I don't see why Winslow wasn't drafted for the Lakers.