PDA

View Full Version : Laker being over looked?

Rocco007
07-28-2015, 06:40 PM
Am I the one that thinks our starting 5 is legit?...

G Russell - 6'5"
G Clarkson - 6'5"
G Kobe - 6'6"
F Randle - 6'9"
C Hibbert - 7'2"

I keep looking at this line up...man oh man...It seems perfectly aligned...
Long...strong...a mix of youth and athleticism...with veteran experience and Championship/playoff leadership....inside/outside...

I really like that everyone has a high IQ...

I like that we're just asking Hibbert to do what he does best ...defend...and be a rebounding force...forget the offense...and he's motivated...

I like that with an improved Clarkson and Randle...1-4 can shoot the ball...

Russell wants to be great...and he's confident...

Randle is a salivating beast looking for time on the court to prove his worth...

Kobe has been lurking in the shadows long enough...His legs are stronger...He hasn't played much in the last 2 1/2 seasons..
One way or another...He will make everyone remember why he is who he is...
whether it's 20/7/7 or 25/5/5...He will play lights out in 30 mins of action...

25 games in...we're going to be trouble for anyone...
Once the chemistry is there...
I can't see this line up being outplayed by many teams in the NBA...
Let's get behind this team...we have talent...we're going to be the surprise team of the year...
BOOK IT!!!

GREATNESS ONE
07-28-2015, 08:52 PM
8th seed.

42-15-7
07-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Am I the one that thinks our starting 5 is legit?...

G Russell - 6'5"
G Clarkson - 6'5"
G Kobe - 6'6"
F Randle - 6'9"
C Hibbert - 7'2"

I'm all for being optimistic, and there's plenty to be optimistic about compared with the past two years. But....

We've essentially got three rookies in the starting line up.

Our back court is not exactly lock-down on the defensive end.

We've got a broken-down has-been in the post, who may give us almost nothing on offense.

In Kobe we've got a malcontent gunner playing out of position with a bunch of players who won't deny him the ball when he's shooting us out of yet another game.

You make no allowance for injuries, and injuries are the real killer.

And finally, you're making no allowance for the fact that we're in the west.

How many teams can outplay your starting lineup? Well, at least twelve, and that's conservative. Unfortunately, eight of those are in the West.

I don't see us making the playoffs unless a couple of teams ahead of us are decimated, as Oklahoma was last year. And even then we'll still have to be healthy all year ourselves.

MAniceto
07-28-2015, 09:52 PM
we're not making the playoffs for another 3 years and that's if Russell, Clarkson and Randle develop well. If they don't there is no way a marquee superstar is coming here money or not... I hope that I am wrong but I'm trying to keep it 100...

desertlakeshow
07-28-2015, 10:19 PM
Im a total Laker homer, and I love me some optimism.

If someone were asking me to be objective in assessing the upcoming season I would go something like this.

If this is our starting 5

G Russell - 6'5". My assessment would be that he is a talented young player that is really going to struggle. His shot is fine, and his passing is very good. His speed is not NBA ready, his strength and conditioning is not NBA starter level. He is going to struggle keeping western starting guards in front of him. I would play him starter minutes, however I would bring him off the bench.

G Clarkson - 6'5" He has earned his starting position and should have a great year.

G Kobe - 6'6" Playing Kobe at small forward is a good idea. Him coming off another year of major injury and age is going to limit his ability for him to be vintage Kobe. I think we will see some flashes of greatness and initially a lot of crappy play. Midway through the season (barring injury) I think we will know what Kobe we have left.

F Randle - 6'9" Im worried about Randle. He looks like a poor mans Lamar Odom. I see some bright spots in his game but too little at the pro level to make a good judgement. I would start him but not expect much.

C Hibbert - 7'2" I think Hibbert will be fine, the coaches are not asking him to do much really.

Our bench looks solid on paper and should do fine against other teams benches.

Think it will be an entertaining season with lots of ups and downs. I am looking forward to all the games, I would love to see something from Russell and Randle to make me believe that they are the future of the NBA.

If Kobe plays like he did the last six or seven games before his injury last season, the rookies play like future NBA stars, Randle plays his *** off (16 and 9), and Hibbert is NBA DPOY then we have a chance to make the playoffs.

Too many ifs for me to make any bets.

I will be entertained however.

numba1CHANGsta
07-28-2015, 11:34 PM
So much needs to happen. Kobe needs to stay healthy and stop chuck the ball so much and play solid defense against players like Melo, KD, LeBron, etc. Russell and Randle still have a lot to prove. Clarkson needs to prove he can continue to improve and play consistent defense. And Hibbert needs to be back to his old self and not the player he has been over the past year and a half

ldawg
07-28-2015, 11:46 PM
I think its possible but wont put money on it.

New Power House
07-29-2015, 01:36 AM
It will be a more entretaining team to watch,but if things click and everybody stays healthy,I expect them to fight for the last two spots for the playoffs. We need a vet pg to help Russell to develop the stamina to resist the 8o games of the NBA. Keep Williams as the SG back up and finishing games along with Mamba and Clarkson until Russell matures.

Laker Legend42
07-29-2015, 02:03 AM
6'6 at small forward is hardly long. If this team is being overlooked its for good reason. The lakers don't even have a true small forward on the roster. This team might be able to do some things but they won't be in the top four in the west.mtop eight maybe.

Bozeman
07-29-2015, 04:24 AM
Lets take a look at the teams in the west we have ni chance to beat record wise.

Warriors
Spurs
Rockets
Clippers
Grizzlies
thunder
pelicans
suns
mavericks

Now lets look at the teams where we can compete

Kings
nuggets
jazz
timberwolves

So the hope is we can be elite with those teams and hope multiple teams at the top have big injuries.

This season will be similar to last. People think this roster is good? Too many rookies and once again outside of lou, guys nobody else wanted. Id be shocked if we win 30 games.

krrys11
07-29-2015, 05:53 AM
There is one thing I would love this young backcourt to do. Half Court trap on PGs...
Something Sonics use to do.
With the size of both Clarkson and Russel I think its possible...

PurpleLynch
07-29-2015, 06:22 AM
No,unfortunately,we're not being overlooked. We have just a team that can't reach the playoffs in the West.
-Two rookies in the starting lineup(and both are not Nba ready imo).In fact,I think we will start Bass.
-A living legend who is in the twilight of his career
-A decent,but not good/great center
-One good young guy with one year of Nba who overachieved considering how low he was drafted,but it's not enough anyway.

And that's just the starting lineup.

I'm optimistic with the bench though:Williams,Black,Brown,Nance,maybe Bass...not bad not bad.

Leftcoast_yg
07-29-2015, 07:36 AM
This team would have been perfect for the triangle offense.

mOrphosis
07-29-2015, 08:46 AM
The starting 5 with 3 rookies is good enough to challenge for an 8th seed, but c'mon...Kobe is going to get injured (again) and any other injury or setback to the other starters will send this team back into the cellar in the West.

These Lakers should be much more enjoyable to watch...even more so, if Nick Young was traded. ;)

mjarmentasr
07-29-2015, 09:34 AM
I just need a reason to watch. Last year Jordan gave me that about half way thru the season. This year we will have 4 or 5 rookies or 2nd year players I wanna see. I just hope we play them. Are we trying to win games and make the 8th seed or are we trying to develop talent?

If we start the season with this lineup:
C - Hibbert
PF - Bass
SF - Kobe
SG - Lou
PG - Clarkson

Then we are trying to win games. I will be a little disappointed.

mjarmentasr
07-29-2015, 09:43 AM
6'6 at small forward is hardly long. If this team is being overlooked its for good reason. The lakers don't even have a true small forward on the roster. This team might be able to do some things but they won't be in the top four in the west.mtop eight maybe.

Anthony Brown - 6'-8" Tall, 6-foot-11 wingspan. Just let the kid play and see what we have.

Vinylman
07-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?????????????

get real...

Anyway, Bass will be starting not Randle... I am sure they made a commitment when signing him

mufridaz
07-29-2015, 11:56 AM
pg russel/
sg Clarkson/lou Williams/Jabari brown
sf kobe/swaggy/Anthony brown
pf bass/randle/nance jr/kelly
c hibert/black/Upshaw/sacre

with only 1 roster spot open I think they have to go with the upside of Upshaw. dude could be a defensive stuff like chander perhaps but younger and more athletic.

I think its terrible we still have young, sacre, and Kelly on the roster.

I think its terrible we got nothing for j.hill ed davis j.lin just to name a few.

I do like bass and lou Williams pick ups.

Hibbert not so much but who knows maybe he will turn into an all star but I seriously think I have a better chance of getting stuck by lighting 3 times in the same day and winning the powerball than him turning into an all star player.

I would of much rather had a defensive player that costs less.

For like 3 seasons we had no SF. Its sad matt barnes was probally our best SF in the last 5 years. Even though he couldn't shoot he was tough, hustled, good slasher, and played hard. And he would get in your face and shove you if you touched kobe.

I feel like we need a veteran point guard to help the young guys. I know Clarkson and sometimes even kobe could play point as well.

I would of loved to pick up a kj mcdaniels for 3mil and solidify a defensive minded wing young with some nba experience and let the new rookie and him compete.

I though after dallas whiffed on Jordan sacre could of been a 2nd or 3rd string cheap vet min big. I also think Kelly to dallas could have learned from dirk and been his replacement as a true stretch 4.

I though any team that needed a scoring punch could use nick young and that his contract was not that bad just 5mil per year.

I think keeping young, sacre, Kelly were huge mistakes.

But also last trade dealine when we did nothing with lin's expiring, j.hill, or ed davis. Ed davis really had value last year and we let him walk for nothing.

mufridaz
07-29-2015, 12:06 PM
I would of rather had javalee McGee (backup) and that backup Memphis guy koufas (starter). And Upshaw playing for minutes.

Then use the rest of the cap to resign Ed davis modestly perhaps he takes 5mil if we are making a legit squad.

Then use the big bucks to try to get a good SF. Or at least a defensive minded one.

I would like to see Anthony brown and Robert Upshaw granted he makes the team get some playing time.

Lets face it we are going to be 10th seed at best. Our number one goal this season to let the young guys grow and to try to get a first rounder this year for some of the stuff we no longer need like swaggy, Kelly, sacre.

I would of been entertained to see javalee McGee just for the laughs and bone headed plays.

We had so many holes your not going to fix everything in one trade deadline that's why last years trade deadline when we had j.hill, ed davis, j. lin, swaggy, Kelly, sacre and your telling me all that you couldn't get a 1st rounder for this year?

We have no first rounder this year and we're going to have another aweful year with nothing to show for it. Except jim buss another year closer to exiting.

I will have fun watching the young kids grow. If kobe is smart he will stick around one more year after this season for vet min and we could get potentially 2 super stars. when I say super stars I mean top 10 players that have a chip. Or at least 1 top 5 player in the league. Last year westbrook, Anthony davis, harden, curry, LeBron really to me were the top 5 best. Durant probally up there had he been healthy.

We can hope for playoffs but realistically not going to happen we will loose so many games early that will be hard if not impossible to reach a 500 record.

mufridaz
07-29-2015, 12:25 PM
with a solid core of

pg russel
sg Clarkson
sf Anthony brown
pf randle
c Upshaw

I think if kobe sticks around one more year yet min and add 2 max free agents that are very good we have a good chance at making a run at it next year. Sprinkle in some youth on both bench and starting line up and we have a legit squad. I like the lou and bass signings. But letting ed davis walk for 7mil and j.hill walk for 5mil were mistakes for sure. If we don't resign them we have to at least try a trade. Granted j.hill wasn't worth 10 mil but both him and ed were worth every penny of that money. I know we had black so basically did the same job but black even though only 6'9 players more C I believe.

Maybe nance is supposed to play some 3 maybe Kelly is supposed to play some 3. I would like to see Anthony brown get off the bench before swaggy. On bench we already have lou as chucker we don't need 2 chuckers. One chucker is enough with rest playing defense and rebounding those bricks setting screens doing backdoor cuts for layups hitting open shots.

One thing about last season we had no identity. I had hoped we could bring a defensive identity of toughness and hustle to this team. Hibbert is ok defensive player but having no strong SF defensive wing outside of our rookie is sad.

I do like russel but his vision is so good he will have a few 10 turnover games by himself. And kobe always good for 5. I'm sure hibbert is good for 3. Then you will get some rookie mistakes like traveling stuff like that that will also lead to turnovers.

Rome wasn't build in a day or a year. And I think 10th seed is conservative.

Rocco007
07-29-2015, 12:45 PM
I don't understand why would Phoenix, Dallas and New Orleans be considered a lock to be better than us right now...

I'm not believing that hype train for sure...

Our Rookies will play at a high level...

Clarkson improves...

Kobe will stay healthy...

Hibbert will be who he was supposed to be...

mufridaz
07-29-2015, 12:46 PM
Lets take a look at the teams in the west we have ni chance to beat record wise.

Warriors
Spurs
Rockets
Clippers
Grizzlies
thunder
pelicans
suns
mavericks

Now lets look at the teams where we can compete

Kings
nuggets
jazz
timberwolves

So the hope is we can be elite with those teams and hope multiple teams at the top have big injuries.

This season will be similar to last. People think this roster is good? Too many rookies and once again outside of lou, guys nobody else wanted. Id be shocked if we win 30 games.

in no particular order
1. Spurs - Duncan, parker, ginobli, k . leonard
2. warriors - world champs splash brothers
3. rockets - harden, d12, ariza
4. clippers - cp3 blake j.jordan josh smith
5 thunder - Durant and westbrook
6. grizzlies - pretty much same team last several years; marc gasol zbo
7. pelicans - Anthony davis enough said (jrue holiday, eric gordan, tyreke evans, A.davis, Asik)
8. dallas
9. kings
10. Portland
11. suns
12. nuggets
13. lakers?

mufridaz
07-29-2015, 12:53 PM
you said kings, nuggets, jazz, and timberwolves, and I believe you left off Portland as well.

Lets look at dallas
pg deron Williams
sg wesly Matthews
sf chandler parsons
pf dirk
c pachulia

Nuggets
pg jameer nelson
sg randy foye
sf Wilson chandler/gallinari
pf farid
c nurkic

Minnesota
pg ricky Rubio
sg kevin martin
sf Andrew wiggins
pf carl Anthony towns
C pekovic

Suns
pg Brandon knight
sg Bledsoe
sf p j tucker
pf m morris
c chandler

Portland
pg d. lilliard
sg g. Henderson
sf aminu
pf m. leonard/ed davis
C m. plumlee

Jazz
pg exum
sg burks
sf Hayward
pf favors
C gobert

Kings
pg rondo
sg b. mclemore
sf rudy gay
pf D. Cousins
C Koufas/Weilie cauley stein

...........now you tell me legitimately which of these teams do we have a better roster than? I think we might could beat the bottom 3 or 4 teams but that's it.

mufridaz
07-29-2015, 01:01 PM
I think the top 7 teams are a lock..

1. spurs
2. warriors
3. Houston
4. clippers
5. thunder
6. grizzlies
7. pelicans(Anthony davis will make sure of this)

Then you have the next tier battling for that 8th spot. More than likely its going to be dallas. But you could make a case for the kings as well. Then suns and maybe Minnesota shortly behind.

So no way we are making playoffs. Even if kobe is not hurt, even if rookies play awesome, even if hibbert is defensive player of the year I just don't see it happening.

If we finish 10th I think we did pretty good.

mufridaz
07-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Dallas estimated 8th seed vs lakers
PG deron Williams vs russel (advantage dallas)
SG wes Matthews vs Clarkson (advantage dallas)
sf chandler parsons vs kobe (advantage lakers)
pf dirk vs Brandon bass (advantage dallas)
C pachulia vs hibbert (advantage lakers)

lets remember kobe had shoulders surgery and hasn't shot much and has been injured most of last 2 and a half years or however long its been.

Lakersfan2483
07-29-2015, 01:08 PM
I like the additions of Bass Hibbert and Lou Williams; however that's not enough to be a playoff team in the Western Conference. All of those guys are complimentary pieces when you have a strong core in place. The lakers don't have a strong core to compete out west.

Imagine having those guys a few yrs back when we had Kobe Metta and Gasol. Now that would be a strong playoff team. As it stands, the lakers are clearly behind the following teams: Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Clippers, Thunder, Grizzlies, Pelicans, Mavs, Blazers, Kings, Suns.

mufridaz
07-29-2015, 01:09 PM
Pelicans estimated 7th seed by me vs lakers
pg jrue holiday vs russel (pelicans)
sg eric gordan vs Clarkson (pelicans)
sf tyreke evans vs kobe (lakers)
pf ANTHONY DAVIS vs Brandon bass (pelicans)
C asik vs hibbert (tie)

Anthony davis by himself almost carried this team to playoffs last year. And he is getting better. Definitely one of the top 3 players in league today.

mufridaz
07-29-2015, 01:12 PM
You mentioned phoenix. I do think we will beat them. But they do have Brandon knight, Bledsoe, and chandler to secure the paint. If they improve their SF and PF perhaps we loose to them as well.

In this matchup I give C's a tie. Kobe the edge at SF. Bass edge in PF. And we loose both guards. You think knight and Bledsoe against russel Clarkson will loose? So its pretty much a toss up whoever shows up big on the bench or has a career night. We do have lou Williams and randle perhaps that will be the edge in that matchup.

mufridaz
07-29-2015, 01:21 PM
I want the lakers to do well this year. I would like the rookies to grow. Would love to be excited to watch the young players grow into possible stars.

But we need to be realistic here. We're not better than the top 6 for sure spurs, warriors, Houston, clippers, Memphis, thunder.

And I believe we're not better than Anthony davis pelicans or dirk's dallas mavs either.

And we might not even be as good as the kings or suns. And timberwolves for that matter.

Jazz and Portland are really the other 2 teams I can say we're really better than. And probally the wolves but they have ricky Rubio, pekovic, Andrew wiggins, carl Anthony towns, and martin.

We don't know how good Andrew wiggins will be this year, or if rhondo or deron Williams play well. or if boogie will dominate. Not trying to be negative just honest. This is why we need picks ha.

Lakersfan2483
07-29-2015, 01:26 PM
I definitely think this team will give people more reason to watch as last season was awful. I think I watched 10 lakers games all year. At the very least, this new team will be entertaining. Definitely not a playoff team unless they were to add a legit all star player, which isn't happening.

mufridaz
07-29-2015, 01:32 PM
I don't think there is a doubt top 6 playoff seeds are secure barring injuries.

1. spurs
2. warriors
3. Houston
4. clippers
5. thunder
6. grizzlies
-------
7. pelicans
next I have pelicans b/c I believe Anthony Davis is a beast and top 3 players in the league. remember they were what within 1 game of making it this year.

8. dallas
they have a solid team except for C. deron Williams if healthy could return to a top pg in the league, wes Matthews can play, chandler is solid, and dirk is dirk. They pick up javalee McGee and they got a solid playoff team.

------------------
9 kings
rhondo return to form? rudy gay play ok? D Cousins dominate with rhondo feeding him. Koufas for defense and willie cauley stein with some D as well.

10 timberwolves
ricky Rubio, kevin martain, Andrew wiggins does he improve a lot? carl Anthony towns rebound defense...Pekovic solid.

11. suns
Brandon knight, Bledsoe, Tyson chandler solid 3 players there.

12. lakers
kobe gets hurt, hibbert lackluster, trade young and Kelly/sacre and future 2nd for 1st round pick and fodder

13. Portland
lillard could carry a team himself, and ed davis, leonard and plumlee are solid young players

14. jazz
exum, burks, Hayward, favors are solid young core

15 nuggets
farid gallinari to name a few decent players

mufridaz
07-29-2015, 01:38 PM
but yea hope i'm wrong but I just don't see us being anywhere a legit playoff team not even close. best case scenario we suck bad early and by mid season or trade deadline we are trading swaggy Kelly sacre for whatever picks or young prospects we can find and let the young guys play.

then try again next year when kobe's 25mil and 20 mil tv money increases the cap space and we're able to sign 2 max players and perhaps convince kobe to return. and hopefully the young guys will have improved enough to lure some free agents that want to win for many years to come.

back when we had Bynum and I said get a good solid pg and iggudola; well iggudola although old can still guard LeBron james. wonder if iggudola would play with kobe one year if kobe takes a lot less money ie vet min ha while they make a run at things. perhaps we can get a boogie to come and with our young guys and bass, lou should have a solid bench as well.

LoveMyLakers
07-29-2015, 02:21 PM
The line up looks amazing... if everyone was in there prime and developed to their full potential. Unfortunately that is not the case. Kobe is not the same Kobe we all grew to love, Russell and Randle are basically rookies with huge potential, but that will take years to develop. If Russell posted 10/5/5 and shot a decent percentage and Randle could score 10-12 pts and grab 7-8 boards to me that would be a huge success and a sign of them going in the right direction. However that's not the stat line people are picturing when they are talking about us making the playoffs. They are picturing 20/10 from each, not going to happen this year.

Hibbert might be a bust. I actually hope and expect to see him perform well, but he's not going to carry us. Kobe will try and carry us, but won't be able to at his age and that will actually hurt us more.

Clarkson I'm hoping will build off last year, but now is faced with a completely new line up around him and will need to share that ball a lot more, so I wouldn't be surprised if he struggled a little to might his place.

It sucks to say, but the best thing that could happen to us would be Kobe getting injured for the season and then from there retiring. We can't win this year, so every minute he is on the floor and every shot he takes (which will be about the same as his minutes) will actually hurt and slow the development of our young players. Before this sets anyone off let me say that Kobe is one of my all time favorite athletes of any sport, if not even my favorite, but I have to accept reality.

Here's what I want to see:

-our guys play hard every night
-improved D
-improved coaching, Scott did not impress last year, even with a crap team I think we could have played harder, especially on D
-all our young guys improve from the start of the year until the end, plus I want to see them all get an opportunity to play, not just stand there and watch Kobe
-Hibbert playing like a beast on D and then hopefully re-signing for a more reasonable salary
-lastly and possibly most important I want to see us play like a play off contender in the second half, the first half will be tough, but if by the end of the year we can look like a playoff team and one that has a lot of room to still grow it will be a much easier pitch to KD. Lets just say we could go 41-41, I think that is a stretch but lets pretend. So then you could pitch to KD that was with a young team, this team alone could win 10 more games next year alone just from them maturing, that puts us to 51, throw KD in there and where are we? 55-60! I'm not saying that can all happen, but it's something you can try and sell, this offseason we had nothing to sell.

42-15-7
07-29-2015, 02:29 PM
I don't think we really know what kind of coach Scott can be given the garbage team he had last year.

One thing that does speak well of him, however, is how hard he came down on Swaggy and the other clowns on the team. Busted them off at the knees toward the end of the season, and went with guys who played hard.

Clarkson could have easily gotten lost in a rotation full of wannabes and idiots, but Scott gave him serious run.

If nothing else, players have to know (and Mitch has backed this up regarding Swaggy) that if you want playing time you're going to earn it. That's a far cry from how some coaches handle such situations.

Iron24th
07-29-2015, 03:49 PM
This team would need all the luck in the world to be 7-8th west seed like no injuries, others teams dealing with major injuries, rookies playing at a very high level etc...

But I'm looking forward to see clarkson-randle-russel develop.

RoyalG333
07-29-2015, 05:07 PM
So many factors.

But I will say I am more excited about this year than the last two years.

I've spent considerable time being optimistic and I will continue to be. My reasons, I won't mention here...

But the OP is onto something with length, and versatility, if they can build some chemistry.

Rocco007
07-29-2015, 05:22 PM
PreSeason will give us a glimpse of what we should expect.
I just like our young guys...I think they will contribute right away...
including our 4 year Senior rookies ie; Brown and Nance jr. Randle is really a Rookie but he won't play like one. He has a season under his belt traveling with the team. He won't be shell shocked.

lakerfan85
07-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Mufridaz hijacking the thread..

L8kers4life
07-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Fixed

Dallas estimated 8th seed vs lakers
PG deron Williams vs russel (advantage dallas)
SG wes Matthews vs Clarkson (advantage Lakers) Matthews coming off Achilles tear
sf chandler parsons vs kobe (advantage lakers)
pf dirk vs Julius Randle (advantage dallas) Bass will not start
C pachulia vs hibbert (advantage lakers)

lets remember kobe had shoulders surgery and hasn't shot much and has been injured most of last 2 and a half years or however long its been.

lets also remember, Chandler Parson is coming off knee surgery, Matthews tore his Achilles Dirk has been horrible since second half of last year and Deron is a shell of himself. And our bench blows there's away. #closerThanUthink

ldawg
07-29-2015, 10:25 PM
7th or 8th seed. Team got many rookies with big roles. Lakers have the potential to be good but also have the potential to bad. The west is brutal and have good teams that tweaked. Lakers is a brand new team, a team with players just getting a taste of the nba with a brutal schedule, traveling, groupies, etc. Scott is going to have to let Swaggy, lue fire away, Kobe has to stay healthy move the ball, Russell have to defend and dont get frustrated. Not only Russell must defend but the team have to take pride in defense. Hibbert also have to return to all-star Roy, Bass have to be solid and Most important they got to stay healthy and get luck on their side. Oh i forgot and Scott got to contain Kobe and coach his as off. They have interchangeable pieces so the can play the new small ball style, Roy can be the big for those slower teams. Kobe also can rejuvenate himself being closer to the basket where he can be most effective. They key is ball movement and Solid defense. they have to play as a team.

DanG
07-29-2015, 10:25 PM
If we start Bass over Randle I'm done.

8th seed is the highest possible at this point. Don't forget Kobe will be sitting out back-to-back games so I don't like our chances. Also, Hibbert has to play alot better than he did last year. 30-35 wins most likely IMO.

ldawg
07-29-2015, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE=DanG;30205718]If we start Bass over Randle I'm done.

8th seed is the highest possible at this point. Don't forget Kobe will be sitting out back-to-back games so I don't like our chances. Also, Hibbert has to play alot better than he did last year. 30-35 wins most likely IMO.[/Kobe]

If Lakers a serious about making the playoffs starting Bass might be best. I think some are putting to much stock in rookies. Magic, Lebron, Duncan, AI, etc dont grow on trees. Lebron was the last player to make a huge impact as a rookie. How long has Lebromn been in the league?

Big Moves03
07-30-2015, 04:26 AM
The top 6 spots are locked up unless there is a major injury. The pelicans likely take the 7th seed, but the 8th seed is up for grabs. If we can stay healthy and our young guys play reasonably well we have a shot.

Vinylman
07-30-2015, 08:06 AM
max max wins for this roster is 38

no way they make the playoffs...

deadman8586
07-30-2015, 09:57 AM

Well it will be progress

gr824
07-30-2015, 10:46 AM
The line up looks amazing... if everyone was in there prime and developed to their full potential. Unfortunately that is not the case. Kobe is not the same Kobe we all grew to love, Russell and Randle are basically rookies with huge potential, but that will take years to develop. If Russell posted 10/5/5 and shot a decent percentage and Randle could score 10-12 pts and grab 7-8 boards to me that would be a huge success and a sign of them going in the right direction. However that's not the stat line people are picturing when they are talking about us making the playoffs. They are picturing 20/10 from each, not going to happen this year.

Hibbert might be a bust. I actually hope and expect to see him perform well, but he's not going to carry us. Kobe will try and carry us, but won't be able to at his age and that will actually hurt us more.

Clarkson I'm hoping will build off last year, but now is faced with a completely new line up around him and will need to share that ball a lot more, so I wouldn't be surprised if he struggled a little to might his place.

It sucks to say, but the best thing that could happen to us would be Kobe getting injured for the season and then from there retiring. We can't win this year, so every minute he is on the floor and every shot he takes (which will be about the same as his minutes) will actually hurt and slow the development of our young players. Before this sets anyone off let me say that Kobe is one of my all time favorite athletes of any sport, if not even my favorite, but I have to accept reality.

Here's what I want to see:

-our guys play hard every night
-improved D
-improved coaching, Scott did not impress last year, even with a crap team I think we could have played harder, especially on D
-all our young guys improve from the start of the year until the end, plus I want to see them all get an opportunity to play, not just stand there and watch Kobe
-Hibbert playing like a beast on D and then hopefully re-signing for a more reasonable salary
-lastly and possibly most important I want to see us play like a play off contender in the second half, the first half will be tough, but if by the end of the year we can look like a playoff team and one that has a lot of room to still grow it will be a much easier pitch to KD. Lets just say we could go 41-41, I think that is a stretch but lets pretend. So then you could pitch to KD that was with a young team, this team alone could win 10 more games next year alone just from them maturing, that puts us to 51, throw KD in there and where are we? 55-60! I'm not saying that can all happen, but it's something you can try and sell, this offseason we had nothing to sell.

Idiotic statement ... Never been the case [ except in isolated games here and there ] ... and it will not be the case this season either ...

Tree Rollins
07-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Not a good starting lineup.

If we stay perfectly healthy, we may be the 10th best team in the west.

We go through this every year, talking ourselves into these rosters. The Lakers suck right now.

Vinylman
07-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Well it will be progress

sure... I don't actually think they will win that many though... I think I predicted 32 or 33 which still will be an improvement.

Unfortunately, unless one of the young guys blow up I really don't see the Lakers doing much next year in FA again...

We are gonna have to get lucky in the Lottery to make another stride next year.

42-15-7
07-30-2015, 12:33 PM
sure... I don't actually think they will win that many though... I think I predicted 32 or 33 which still will be an improvement.

Unfortunately, unless one of the young guys blow up I really don't see the Lakers doing much next year in FA again...

We are gonna have to get lucky in the Lottery to make another stride next year.

I think the single biggest impediment to the Lakers moving forward is Kobe Bryant. Until he declares his intentions no big-name FA's are going to come here.

I do believe LA still has value as a market, and that some FA's would like to be the star on the Lakers team, but Kobe is such a cancer that until he's gone we're screwed. And I honestly don't expect him to help the team by announcing his intentions.

I also think next year is tough because of the explosion in salaries, but that will even out pretty quickly. I remember when Koncak got lucky and landed a huge deal out of all proportion to his stats because he caught a similar bubble early on, then a year or two later he was being paid appropriately because everybody shot past him. Once the next round of contracts are signed we'll be in the hunt -- maybe for AD down the line.

But as for this year and probably next? Yeah, I'm not looking for anything other than slow growth.

nickdymez
07-30-2015, 12:44 PM
So much needs to happen. Kobe needs to stay healthy and stop chuck the ball so much and play solid defense against players like Melo, KD, LeBron, etc. Russell and Randle still have a lot to prove. Clarkson needs to prove he can continue to improve and play consistent defense. And Hibbert needs to be back to his old self and not the player he has been over the past year and a half

Under no circumstances will Kobe guard any of those guys..

Chavacano
07-30-2015, 12:48 PM
Way too soon. In 2-3 years, maybe. I say, forget about winning for now. Let the pups develop.

Hangin n Wangin
07-30-2015, 01:30 PM
What a joke thread. Go back to clown college.

Big Moves03
07-30-2015, 04:26 PM

That might be enough to get the 8th seed this year. The past 4-6 years there have usually been 9-10 playoff caliber teams in the west, but this year there's only 6-7. It's not a forgone conclusion that whoever it is that gets the 8th seed wins 35 this year. Not saying we'll make it, but just pointing out the rest of the teams aren't that good either.

handle
07-30-2015, 05:38 PM
OK, I booked it.

8kobe24
07-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Well, there is certainly a little bit more reason to watch the games to see how our trio of prospects develop (clarkson, randle, russell), and of course this is Kobe's "last year". This team has a chance to fight for that 8th seed if things go well.

J4KOP99
07-30-2015, 07:21 PM
Way too many if's to be blindly optomistic.

There's about 20 unanswered questions about kobe alone.

This team would need a miracle to just get the 8 seed.

handle
07-30-2015, 08:08 PM

A miracle, just to get swept. I predict 25 wins.

42-15-7
07-30-2015, 08:26 PM

Then it's a done deal, because we have TWO miracles on our team. :superman: :superman:

Kobe is a miracle, and DLO is a miracle.

(Most teams are lucky to have just one miracle. Or even half a miracle, in the case of Chris Paul.)

deadman8586
07-30-2015, 08:32 PM

Still not good enough to keep our pick think about that one.

jaydubb
07-30-2015, 10:26 PM
I doubt lakers make the playoffs.. Too many young guys mixed with one of the oldest guys in the league as your #1 or #2 option, not a good combo..

jaydubb
07-30-2015, 10:26 PM
I think 2016 is the year the lakers get back to the playoffs

Big Moves03
07-30-2015, 10:33 PM

I think we're more than 6 wins better than this season.

LA_Raiders
07-30-2015, 11:43 PM
7th seed

Vinylman
07-31-2015, 08:21 AM
That might be enough to get the 8th seed this year. The past 4-6 years there have usually been 9-10 playoff caliber teams in the west, but this year there's only 6-7. It's not a forgone conclusion that whoever it is that gets the 8th seed wins 35 this year. Not saying we'll make it, but just pointing out the rest of the teams aren't that good either.

delusional... the 8th seed in the east won 38 last year... there is zero chance the 8th seed in the west wins 35 games...

You can argue all you want that Dallas and Portland aren't as good as last year but there is no way barring massive amounts of injuries that Dallas only wins 35... of course you are also forgetting teams like Phoenix and Utah and that OKC will be back in the playoffs... the only seed up for grabs is the eighth

the Lakers just don't have enough talent to compete night and night out... anything north of 30 wins will be an accomplishment.

handle
07-31-2015, 08:56 AM
I think we're more than 6 wins better than this season.

Yeah, on paper I agree we look better than just 6 more wins. But we have rookies in key roles, players that have never played together, the Kobe factor, and injuries that will happen. It's just a prediction... we'll see what happens.

Big Moves03
07-31-2015, 03:00 PM
delusional... the 8th seed in the east won 38 last year... there is zero chance the 8th seed in the west wins 35 games...

You can argue all you want that Dallas and Portland aren't as good as last year but there is no way barring massive amounts of injuries that Dallas only wins 35... of course you are also forgetting teams like Phoenix and Utah and that OKC will be back in the playoffs... the only seed up for grabs is the eighth

the Lakers just don't have enough talent to compete night and night out... anything north of 30 wins will be an accomplishment.

Well I never said we were going to make it, my point is that the other teams vying for the 8th seed aren't that good either.

Dallas has a lot of question marks. Dirk and williams might have pretty solid seasons or they might be really, really bad. Matthews is coming off of a major injury and those type of injuries usually take a year to get fully back from. I haven't looked at their entire roster so I might be missing someone, but Parsons is probably the guy they can feel most certain about and he's coming off of various injuries. If a team like dallas starts slow, they might just blow it up and go into tank mode early. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's not an outlandish possibility.

I'd say other teams like utah, sac, and phx will all be in it but they'll probably win somewhere between mid 30s to low 40s.

Big Moves03
07-31-2015, 03:02 PM
Yeah, on paper I agree we look better than just 6 more wins. But we have rookies in key roles, players that have never played together, the Kobe factor, and injuries that will happen. It's just a prediction... we'll see what happens.

That is a good point, because even players that turn out to become all-time greats are still typically pretty inconsistent as rookies.

Whitemamba24x
08-01-2015, 12:10 AM
3 biggest factors for the Lakers next season: Kobe Bryant, Julius Randle, Roy Hibbert.
If all 3 manage to stay healthy, we likely will have a strong chance at a lower seed in the West.

Our backcourt has a very bright future.
The singings of Lou Williams and Brandon Bass should bolster the bench. Improves quality of depth.

If Kobe finds it in himself to truely give it his all for this team next year, it is up to him to allow this team to develop and build chemistry. Let Russell, Clarkson, Williams carry the load and mesh together.

Lou Williams will help lighten the load on Russell and Clarkson.
I believe Clarkson is prepared to have a breakout season. Love his confidence and commitment to becoming a better player.

Hoping either Tarik Black or Robert Upshaw pan out. Both have potential and could really be a factor behind Hibbert.

Many many IFs. Should be a very exciting season nonetheless. Lot to look forward to.

Worst case we have 3 players to build around in Russell, Clarkson & Randle heading into the future. All 3 have a chance to be special.
+ Kobe's contract up after this season

We are in a much better position at this point this year as oppose to last. For that I am hopeful/excited for the future of this team.

mufridaz
08-01-2015, 02:54 AM
I am excited to see Anthony brown or whatever the 3 and D rookie SF is develop. He already has 4 years of college and could get ahead of young in rotation perhaps.

I am excited at the possibility of signing Robert Upshaw a defensive C.

If you add these 2 pieces to the strong core of russel, Clarkson, randle and they are able to show progress...

Then I think a couple free agents would love to play here next season. And if kobe will take more a facilitator role and take a step back and swallow his pride a little and say so with a vet min contract for one year... with 2 max offer free agents next year to our already strong core we might have something.

The big problem I see this year is we need another tank but we have no first round pick to show for it. So we need to try to turn sacre/Kelly/young into a 1st round pick somehow. That my friend would be a miracle.

I would love this team to have a defensive identity and with the young SF and the young C our future could be bright.