PDA

View Full Version : Heat trade Napier and Zoran, save millions in luxury

TylerSL
07-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Heat traded Napier to Orlando for a 2nd rounder they may never see and Zoran and a 2020 2nd rounder to Boston for the same thing. We even gave Boston a 2nd rounder to take Zoran off our hands. With these moves, the team has shed over $3 million on payroll and could save up to $12 million in luxury taxes. Miami still has a little over $90 million in salary for 15-16 with the luxury sitting at $84.7 million, so more salary dumping should be expected. Look for Chalmers, Birdman, Henry Walker, James Ennis and possibly Josh McRoberts to be potential salary dumps. Surely not all of them would go, but two or three of them is a distinct possibility.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-zoran-dragic-072715-story.html
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-nba-salary-cap-s070815-story.html

Heatnation80
07-27-2015, 01:20 PM
I would have kept Napier and got rid of Chalmers, Ennis, Walker and Zoran. No one will take Birdman

MiamiLoyal926
07-27-2015, 02:14 PM
So... we traded our 2014 second round pick and 2019 second rounder for the rights to swap the 24 and 26th pick last year... to then give him away the next year. Then, we trade Zoran with the 2020 second round pick AND enough cash to pay his entire salary. So in summary, we traded away 2 young players, 3 second round picks, and 1.5 million to get back nothing but overly protected second round picks. That sucked.

Then people claim it was to save on luxury tax, but these players were practically on minimum contracts... and we will likely fill their roster spots with minimums... so did we really save any money?

We gained nothing more than roster spots with those moves.

TylerSL
07-27-2015, 02:51 PM
So... we traded our 2014 second round pick and 2019 second rounder for the rights to swap the 24 and 26th pick last year... to then give him away the next year. Then, we trade Zoran with the 2020 second round pick AND enough cash to pay his entire salary. So in summary, we traded away 2 young players, 3 second round picks, and 1.5 million to get back nothing but overly protected second round picks. That sucked.

Then people claim it was to save on luxury tax, but these players were practically on minimum contracts... and we will likely fill their roster spots with minimums... so did we really save any money?

I agree, I don't like it any more than you. The Napier trade was especially horrible, we should have given Chalmers away if we were gonna give away somebody for free. Shabazz has improved his game alot since last season, so I basically hate this move. Having to include a 2020 second rounder in the Zoran deal is a little disappointing but we could survive that. The Napier trade though is one of the few times I believe this organization made a noticeable mistake. I expect we move Chamlers and opt to cut Ennis (as his contract is only partially guaranteed), so we will go into the season with a roster of

Dragic/Johnson
Wade/Green/Richardson
Deng/Winslow/Walker
Bosh/McRoberts/Haslem
Whiteside/Amare/Birdman

That's only 14, so we could either add 1 more (probably a PG) or just save the money and stick with 14 for now. Either way, with the team listed above we would have a payroll of $89.48 million, and the luxury tax sits at $84.7 million. Being a "Repeat Offender", we would be forced to pay $2.50 for every $1 over the luxury. That would be a tax bill of just under $12 million and we would pay about $101.5 million to put this team on the court.

Slug3
07-27-2015, 03:06 PM

honestly I think it was to gain roster spots more than to save money. If we wanted to save money we would have moved Chalmers or Mcbob for nothing as teams would have picked them up. I believe I heard we released or are going to release Henry as well so that should open a spot up for Richardson.

I still think we might try and move Birdman and Chalmers though to save on money.

SportsFanatic10
07-27-2015, 03:15 PM
honestly I think it was to gain roster spots more than to save money. If we wanted to save money we would have moved Chalmers or Mcbob for nothing as teams would have picked them up. I believe I heard we released or are going to release Henry as well so that should open a spot up for Richardson.

I still think we might try and move Birdman and Chalmers though to save on money.

Ya these moves only save any tax money if we don't replace the players on the roster and roll with 13. Once we're back up to 15 even with 2 min deals the savings won't be much.

Sparky
07-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Maybe Pat is trying to convince Micky to absorb the repeater tax on Chalmers/Bird but he just couldn't justify them eating it for the likes of Napier and Zoran.

Dumping these two did save quite a bit of repeater tax money.

And saying we should dump Chalmers b/c Napier could take his spot is a serious reach. Napier looked a little better in SL this year but still couldn't shoot. And hasn't looked like a legit NBA player yet. Chalmers.........for all his faults.........is light years ahead of Napier.

Dragic, Chalmers, TJ
Wade, Winslow, JRich
Deng, Green, Ennis
Bosh, McBob, UD
Whiteside, Amare, Bird

That's a deep group if they hold on to everyone. Guessing Ennis makes it over Walker.

MiamiLoyal926
07-27-2015, 03:40 PM
Ya these moves only save any tax money if we don't replace the players on the roster and roll with 13. Once we're back up to 15 even with 2 min deals the savings won't be much.

We gave extra cash considerations in the trades as well... even if we "save" some money... we sent free money too. We end up saving no money, maybe even lose money if we simply replace their two spots with vet min deals.

MiamiLoyal926
07-27-2015, 04:09 PM
Maybe Pat is trying to convince Micky to absorb the repeater tax on Chalmers/Bird but he just couldn't justify them eating it for the likes of Napier and Zoran.

And saying we should dump Chalmers b/c Napier could take his spot is a serious reach. Napier looked a little better in SL this year but still couldn't shoot. And hasn't looked like a legit NBA player yet. Chalmers.........for all his faults.........is light years ahead of Napier.

Dragic, Chalmers, TJ
Wade, Winslow, JRich
Deng, Green, Ennis
Bosh, McBob, UD
Whiteside, Amare, Bird

That's a deep group if they hold on to everyone. Guessing Ennis makes it over Walker.

Based on your roster with JRich and ennis vs a roster with zoran and napier instead... here are financial differences.

Napier 1.3million vs JRich 525k (rookie min)
Zoran 1.75million vs Ennis 850k

You save about 1.7 million in salaries and 4.2 in taxes.

But we sent out cash considerations for these trades to happen which eat into our savings essentially cancelling some of those gains in saving.

If we opt to cut ennis and go for a vet min like D.Wright... then we face thus scenario:

Napier 1.3million vs JRich 525k (rookie min)
Zoran 1.75million vs 1.5 million vet min

We save about a million in salaries and about 2.5 million in taxes... which is nearly erased completely by the cash considerations sent.

In summary... it really didn't save us that much money at all.

I do agree that chalmers is our best option at backup pg if Arison is willing to swallow that pill.

Slug3
07-27-2015, 05:55 PM

Dragic, Chalmers, TJ
Wade, Winslow, JRich
Deng, Green, Ennis
Bosh, McBob, UD
Whiteside, Amare, Bird

I was thinking one of the only reasons we would have kept Naiper over Mario was to just get younger at that position.

ATX
07-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Why the complaining about trading away 2 scrubs? Perhaps Micky is saving a little $$$ knowing he might be spending vastly more in tax in the coming years. Looking at the roster:

Dragic/Chalmers/TJ
Wade/Green/Richardson
Deng/Winslow/Ennis
Bosh/McRoberts/Amare
Whiteside/Andersen/Haslem

I suppose Ennis could be let go and Richardson sent overseas...But the HEAT already have a full roster. Losing Napier and Zoran is nothing. Besides, it frees up potentially 2 roster spots in case another move is on the horizon, or perhaps it's in hopes a player or two shakes free at the trade deadline.

Basically, it's not a big deal. Best of luck to Zoran and Napier, but it's whatever..to me anyways. Lets also not forget Riley signed Dragic for considerably less than was rumored. He handled a delicate Wade contract situation perfectly with the one year deal. He drafted Justise (No brainer but still). He brought in steals for minimum deals with Amare and Green. Deng had a player option, so I'm not sure how that went down, but non-the-less he's still on the HEAT.

king james
07-28-2015, 12:53 AM
Totally agree with you. Zoran and Napier were scrubs. I don't understand why just because he played a better this year in summer league than he did last year makes him worthy of being on the roster this year. If u look at his stats from SL his shooting wasn't good. He scored a lot of pts from the FT line.

Plain and simple Johnson and Richardson played better than both Zoran and Napier.

naps
07-28-2015, 02:14 AM
Perfect and much needed moves. Both of them were dead-weights. I really want Josh Richardson and I think he is gonna be a better offensive version of Pat Beverly.

hotdalton18
07-28-2015, 10:09 AM
Perfect and much needed moves. Both of them were dead-weights. I really want Josh Richardson and I think he is gonna be a better offensive version of Pat Beverly.

agree

King Koopa
07-28-2015, 10:30 AM
You guys keep bringing up Josh Richardson, I honestly don't see anything special about this kid. He's a Senior college player, I would expect him to do well during summer league. Considering he has more experience playing the game, in a league where no one is familiar with one another (Summer League).

SportsFanatic10
07-28-2015, 08:48 PM
You guys keep bringing up Josh Richardson, I honestly don't see anything special about this kid. He's a Senior college player, I would expect him to do well during summer league. Considering he has more experience playing the game, in a league where no one is familiar with one another (Summer League).

He has that hustle and defense to his game that could be special, and he also has some potential offensively...he looks to have a solid future to me. Riley had him rated as 24th on his draft board I believe, not that that means much, but he has some promise that needs to be given a chance and developed imo. He probably won't be given much playing time this year, but he earned his spot on this roster. He could also be a guy Spo turns to defensively off the bench in certain situations and matchups. And he's capable of playing 3 positions with his versatility and size at 6'6.