PDA

View Full Version : Which all-time team would win this tournament?

DanG
07-25-2015, 07:02 PM
http://i58.tinypic.com/10mkjrr.jpg

In other words, which team has the 2nd greatest all-time roster?

First of all, I was looking at the other all-time threads and saw that every team was killer on paper.
I thought it would be more fun to debate if we could use players on one team only. This way it would be more realistic and prime Shaq wouldn't be on 10 different teams. If you liked the other threads idea better then just don't post here.
So I picked the teams with most championships in each conference. I left the Lakers out because obviously they have the best all-time team otherwise this thread would have no point.

I paid attention to what each of these teams fanbases had as their all-time roster so I didn't really pick them all by myself.

ROSTERS:

Miami Heat

Tim Hardaway/Bimbo Coles
Dwyane Wade/Steve Smith
LeBron James/Glen Rice
Chris Bosh/Udonis Haslem
Alonzo Mourning/Rony Seikaly

Chicago Bulls

Derrick Rose/Norm Van Lier
Michael Jordan/Jerry Sloan
Scottie Pippen/Toni Kukoc
Bob Love/Horace Grant
Artis Gilmore/Joakim Noah

Detroit Pistons

Isiah Thomas/Chauncey Billups
Joe Dumars/Richard Hamilton
Grant Hill/Tayshaun Prince
Dennis Rodman/Bob Lanier
Ben Wallace/Bill Laimbeer

Boston Celtics

Bob Cousy/Jo Jo White
Sam Jones/John Havlicek
Larry Bird/Paul Pierce
Kevin McHale/Tom Heinshohn
Bill Russell/Robert Parish

San Antonio Spurs

Tony Parker/Avery Johnson
George Gervin/Manu Ginobili
Kawhi Leonard/Sean Elliott
Tim Duncan/Larry Kenon
David Robinson/Thiago Splitter

Golden State Warriors

Stephen Curry/Baron Davis
Chris Mullin/Latrell Sprewell
Rick Barry/Paul Arzin
Nate Thurmond/Antawn Jamison
Wilt Chamberlain/Neil Johnston

Houston Rockets

Calvin Murphy/Steve Francis
James Harden/Vernon Maxwell
Rudy Tomjanovich/Chandler Parsons
Hakeem Olajuwon/Robert Horry
Moses Malone/Yao Ming

Portland Trail Blazers

Terry Porter/Damian Lillard
Brandon Roy/Jim Paxson
Clyde Drexler/Jerome Kersey
Rasheed Wallace/LaMarcus Aldridge
Arvydas Sabonis/Bill Walton

Hope I didn't forget someone. I think none of these teams need a drastic change, but you can change them to your liking, but remember each player can only play for ONE team.
For example Charles Barkley can't play for the Houston Rockets because he didn't have his prime years there and will be remembered as a 76er.

Lakers' squad just for fun:

Magic Johnson/Gail Goodrich
Kobe Bryant/Jerry West
Elgin Baylor/James Worthy
Kareem-Abdul Jabbar/Pau Gasol
Shaquille O'Neal/George Mikan

rockets-fan
07-25-2015, 07:13 PM
I'd add Tmac to the rockets as well as Casell

alexander_37
07-25-2015, 07:15 PM
No T-mac, Clyde,Barkley, Francis?? Well that's lame

alexander_37
07-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Regardless I have Houston losing to Boston in the Finals.

Hakeem single handedly dominated the best Spurs teams we have seen. Portland is good but they just lack true superstar talent.

The Celtics are just RIDICULOUS.

lucchesicourt
07-25-2015, 08:16 PM
Bill Russell is all I got to say!

Ebbs
07-26-2015, 04:09 AM
I hate these threads because the rosters never make sense.

If LBJ can be on the Heat, KG can be on the C's.

Prince on the list over Dantley/Aguirre?

Francis on the Rockets.
Richmond on the Warriors.
Bowen on the Spurs.

DanG
07-26-2015, 06:11 AM
How can I put Dantley on the pistons? He put up 29/6/4 with Dallas and his best year with the pistons was 16/4/2 plus he played 8 years in dallas and 5 in detroit.

How can Garnett be on the c's? He played 12 seasons for the timberwolves and had his prime years there vs 6 seasons for the celtics.

LeBron should be on the heat not the cavs. LeBron was at his peak in Miami and won 2 rings and 2 mvps there.

basch152
07-26-2015, 06:58 AM
How can I put Dantley on the pistons? He put up 29/6/4 with Dallas and his best year with the pistons was 16/4/2 plus he played 8 years in dallas and 5 in detroit.

How can Garnett be on the c's? He played 12 seasons for the timberwolves and had his prime years there vs 6 seasons for the celtics.

LeBron should be on the heat not the cavs. LeBron was at his peak in Miami and won 2 rings and 2 mvps there.

If you dont want to use those two then rasheed should be put in the starting or bench PF spot and rodman should be moved to backup SF.

Gives better spacing and makes the roster more talented overall.

Sheed is way better known as a piston...

warfelg
07-26-2015, 08:06 AM
The fact that all of these keep leaving off a Sixers team with:
Mo Cheeks/Doug Collins
AI/Andrew Toney
Dr. J/Andre Iguadala
Charles Barkley/Billy Cunningham
Wilt Chamberlain/Moses Malone

All the starters who were actually in their prime with the Sixers.

Minimal
07-26-2015, 09:36 AM
Spurs losing to HEAT baby

PurpleLynch
07-26-2015, 11:14 AM
Magic/Goodrich
Kobe/West
Baylor/Worthy
Gasol/Odom
O'Neal/Jabbar

Bonus:Wilt Chamberlain(he can be on GS,LAL,76ers).

mrblisterdundee
07-26-2015, 03:07 PM
You totally messed up the tournament by putting the Bulls vs. the Heat in the first round. They're the two best all-time rosters of all the teams in your tournament:

Bulls:
PG - Derrick Rose, Norm Van Lier, B.J. Armstrong
SG - Michael Jordan, Jerry Sloan, Reggie Theus
SF - Scottie Pippen, Chet Walker, Luol Deng
PF - Dennis Rodman, Bob Love, Toni Kukoc
C - Artis Gilmore, Horace Grant, Joakim Noah

Heat:
PG - Tim Hardaway, Mario Chalmers, Sherman Douglas
SG - Dwyane Wade, Eddie Jones, Voshon Lenard
SF - LeBron James, Glen Rice, Jamal Mashburn
PF - Chris Bosh, Udonis Haslem, Grant Long
C - Alonzo Mourning, Shaquille O'Neal, Rony Seikaly

I think the Heat are the deepest, most talented team in the tournament, if you're using everyone at their peaks on each respective team. Peak LeBron and Wade cancel out peak Jordan and Pippen. Alonzo Mourning and Shaquille O'Neal are the two best centers. O'Neal was still fairly dominant during his first season with Miami, which is easily the deepest at small forward.

alexander_37
07-26-2015, 06:33 PM
You totally messed up the tournament by putting the Bulls vs. the Heat in the first round. They're the two best all-time rosters of all the teams in your tournament:

Bulls:
PG - Derrick Rose, Norm Van Lier, B.J. Armstrong
SG - Michael Jordan, Jerry Sloan, Reggie Theus
SF - Scottie Pippen, Chet Walker, Luol Deng
PF - Dennis Rodman, Bob Love, Toni Kukoc
C - Artis Gilmore, Horace Grant, Joakim Noah

Heat:
PG - Tim Hardaway, Mario Chalmers, Sherman Douglas
SG - Dwyane Wade, Eddie Jones, Voshon Lenard
SF - LeBron James, Glen Rice, Jamal Mashburn
PF - Chris Bosh, Udonis Haslem, Grant Long
C - Alonzo Mourning, Shaquille O'Neal, Rony Seikaly

I think the Heat are the deepest, most talented team in the tournament, if you're using everyone at their peaks on each respective team. Peak LeBron and Wade cancel out peak Jordan and Pippen. Alonzo Mourning and Shaquille O'Neal are the two best centers. O'Neal was still fairly dominant during his first season with Miami, which is easily the deepest at small forward.

I am OK with the Heat claiming Lebron even though he is really a Cav and even Bosh. But no they do not get to claim Shaq, he was a corpse of his former self. He was there for 2 and a half seasons and he hit 21ppg + once after never missing the mark for like 13 years.

The Bulls crush the hear even with Lebron and Bosh,

Pippen would give Lebron hell and Wade could not guard Jordan on his best day.

Rodman would batter Bosh's soft ***. Hardaway is great and all but Rose was in a different class.

Good matchup but Bulls would win a series in 6.

mrblisterdundee
07-26-2015, 08:27 PM
I am OK with the Heat claiming Lebron even though he is really a Cav and even Bosh. But no they do not get to claim Shaq, he was a corpse of his former self. He was there for 2 and a half seasons and he hit 21ppg + once after never missing the mark for like 13 years.
The Bulls crush the hear even with Lebron and Bosh,
Pippen would give Lebron hell and Wade could not guard Jordan on his best day.
Rodman would batter Bosh's soft ***. Hardaway is great and all but Rose was in a different class.
Good matchup but Bulls would win a series in 6.

We're talking about all-time lineups, picking players based on their peak performance with various teams. LeBron James is the greatest small forward in Heat history, and Shaq is one of the top-three centers, regardless of how long he played for Miami.
Pippen would have no better chance at stopping LeBron than Kawhi Leonard did. Pippen never had to go up against someone as good as LeBron, because the only other player at LeBron's level of dominance is Jordan. And while peak Wade still couldn't guard Jordan, he is more valuable than peak Pippen.
His first year in Miami, Shaq was the second best player on a championship team; averaged 23 points, 10 rebounds and 2.3 blocks in 34 minutes per game; and posted a PER of 27. While he wasn't at his peak, he certainly wasn't "a corpse of his former self."
Peak Rose offsets a still-dominant Shaq, but overall I think Miami is just deeper.
Also, we probably shouldn't leave out coaches. Pat Riley and Phil Jackson seem pretty even.

alexander_37
07-26-2015, 09:30 PM
We're talking about all-time lineups, picking players based on their peak performance with various teams. LeBron James is the greatest small forward in Heat history, and Shaq is one of the top-three centers, regardless of how long he played for Miami.
Pippen would have no better chance at stopping LeBron than Kawhi Leonard did. Pippen never had to go up against someone as good as LeBron, because the only other player at LeBron's level of dominance is Jordan. And while peak Wade still couldn't guard Jordan, he is more valuable than peak Pippen.
His first year in Miami, Shaq was the second best player on a championship team; averaged 23 points, 10 rebounds and 2.3 blocks in 34 minutes per game; and posted a PER of 27. While he wasn't at his peak, he certainly wasn't "a corpse of his former self."
Peak Rose offsets a still-dominant Shaq, but overall I think Miami is just deeper.
Also, we probably shouldn't leave out coaches. Pat Riley and Phil Jackson seem pretty even.

In that case the rockets would be

Francis/Murphy/terry
Tmac/Harden
Drexler/ Rick Barry/ Rudy T
Hakeem/barkley
Moses/Howard/Yao

That easily dominates pretty much anyone.

That's 5 HOF caliber big men in their prime since we are disregarding longevity. Prime T-mac is only matched by Jordan in scoring prowess by swing men in his prime. Harden almost/should have won an MVP.

Clyde is well... Clyde. Just utterly dominant all round. And Francis in his prime was a 21/7/6 PG.\

Sorry forgot about 35 ppg player rick barry

mrblisterdundee
07-27-2015, 03:10 AM

Francis/Murphy/terry
Tmac/Harden
Hakeem/barkley
Moses/Howard/Yao

That's 5 HOF caliber big men in their prime since we are disregarding longevity. Prime T-mac is only matched by Jordan in scoring prowess by swing men in his prime. Harden almost/should have won an MVP.

Clyde is well... Clyde. Just utterly dominant all round. And Francis in his prime was a 21/7/6 PG.\

I don't know about that dominating everyone there's a reason Los Angeles and Boston have won 33 titles overall. But it's a good lineup. Rick Barry was perfect Moreyball material.

PhillyFaninLA
07-27-2015, 04:34 AM
Mo Cheeks
Iverson, Greer, or Toney
Dr J
Shayes, Barkley, or Cunnignham
Moses (since Wilt would be on another team) and I think Moses should be hear and not Houston (he played 5 years in both cities and won a title with the Sixers)....but I guess Neil Johson or Daryl Dawkins would be the pick otherwise.

Whether or not this team wins the tournament (which I think it would have an outside shot), it deserves to in the tournament

warfelg
07-27-2015, 08:06 AM
Mo Cheeks
Iverson, Greer, or Toney
Dr J
Shayes, Barkley, or Cunnignham
Moses (since Wilt would be on another team) and I think Moses should be hear and not Houston (he played 5 years in both cities and won a title with the Sixers)....but I guess Neil Johson or Daryl Dawkins would be the pick otherwise.

Whether or not this team wins the tournament (which I think it would have an outside shot), it deserves to in the tournament

Wilt is on quite a few Sixers all time teams, since he had some of his peak years with us, so I wouldn't be ashamed to claim him.

kdspurman
07-27-2015, 06:06 PM
Regardless I have Houston losing to Boston in the Finals.

Hakeem single handedly dominated the best Spurs teams we have seen. Portland is good but they just lack true superstar talent.

The Celtics are just RIDICULOUS.

you think hakeem would just have his way d rob And Duncan? singlehandedly? seems like a stretch imo.

Allphakenny1
07-27-2015, 07:20 PM

Francis/Murphy/terry
Tmac/Harden
Hakeem/barkley
Moses/Howard/Yao

When did this happen? If you are talking about this year then the voting pretty heavily favored Curry.

PowerHouse
07-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Finally somebody put together a well thought out structure to this kind of thread. The NBA has been in existence for something like 70 years so there's always going to be somebody left out. Dont worry about those who wine about somebody being left out, sure maybe T-mac could have been put on Houston but thats only because I dont see Orlando here. This is really the way to do it, one player repesent one team only; eliminates a lot of confusion that way.

alexander_37
07-27-2015, 09:14 PM
you think hakeem would just have his way d rob And Duncan? singlehandedly? seems like a stretch imo.

He DOMINATED Robinson regularly put up 30-40 on him in the playoffs.

alexander_37
07-27-2015, 09:15 PM
When did this happen? If you are talking about this year then the voting pretty heavily favored Curry.

Yeah because basketball media means so much :rolleyes:

alexander_37
07-27-2015, 09:16 PM
I don't know about that dominating everyone there's a reason Los Angeles and Boston have won 33 titles overall. But it's a good lineup. Rick Barry was perfect Moreyball material.

Winning titles in real life versus collective talent is apples and oranges...

GS just won what their first title? They had TONS of great players go through their teams.

alexander_37
07-28-2015, 04:53 PM

FYI at the player voted awards Harden won the MVP.

Allphakenny1
07-28-2015, 05:21 PM
FYI at the player voted awards Harden won the MVP.

Yeah, because player voted awards mean so much :rolleyes:

kdspurman
07-28-2015, 05:26 PM
He DOMINATED Robinson regularly put up 30-40 on him in the playoffs.

Still confused, what does that have to do with Duncan AND Robinson? They had one of the greatest defensive teams ever, and that was with Robinson nearing the end of his career.

alexander_37
07-28-2015, 05:31 PM
Still confused, what does that have to do with Duncan AND Robinson? They had one of the greatest defensive teams ever, and that was with Robinson nearing the end of his career.

Because they are going to double him with moses malone or barkley on the floor..?

alexander_37
07-28-2015, 05:32 PM
Yeah, because player voted awards mean so much :rolleyes:

Lol and the media does? Didn't they vote kobe as an all defense player many many times after he stopped playing defense?

WaDe03
07-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Lol and the media does? Didn't they vote kobe as an all defense player many many times after he stopped playing defense?

This is very true.

kdspurman
07-28-2015, 07:50 PM
Because they are going to double him with moses malone or barkley on the floor..?

Maybe, maybe not. But I guess they don't have to guard Duncan/Robinson on the other end? D-Rob had his fair share of good games in that series as well, and a prime Duncan I guess folks forget how dominant he was.

To say Hakeem would single-handedly dominate prime Duncan/Robinson reeks of homerism. And I love Hakeem and how he played btw. Despite what he did to us in 95....

alexander_37
07-28-2015, 08:09 PM
Maybe, maybe not. But I guess they don't have to guard Duncan/Robinson on the other end? D-Rob had his fair share of good games in that series as well, and a prime Duncan I guess folks forget how dominant he was.

To say Hakeem would single-handedly dominate prime Duncan/Robinson reeks of homerism. And I love Hakeem and how he played btw. Despite what he did to us in 95....

That's cool and all but a rotation of

Hakeem
Malone
Barkley
Yao
Howard ( remember how good Orlando Magic Dwight was?)

would wear down anyone

Allphakenny1
07-28-2015, 08:19 PM

The players gave DPOY to DeAndre Jordan so I do not see how you can have more faith in them.

kdspurman
07-28-2015, 08:53 PM
That's cool and all but a rotation of

Hakeem
Malone
Barkley
Yao
Howard ( remember how good Orlando Magic Dwight was?)

would wear down anyone

That's a lot more reasonable than Hakeem would do it all by himself ;)

Guard play would also play a factor here. Prime Manu was pretty much what we see from Harden, and he's coming off the bench (though with T-Mac missing, I guess Harden might play the 6th man role too unless he played the 3)

I think it'd be fun to watch, and hell maybe Houston would win. I just disagreed with saying Hakeem would dominate single-handedly

alexander_37
07-28-2015, 08:55 PM
That's a lot more reasonable than Hakeem would do it all by himself ;)

Guard play would also play a factor here. Prime Manu was pretty much what we see from Harden, and he's coming off the bench (though with T-Mac missing, I guess Harden might play the 6th man role too unless he played the 3)

I think it'd be fun to watch, and hell maybe Houston would win. I just disagreed with saying Hakeem would dominate single-handedly

I never said he would I said he did absolutely dismantle Robinson can't remember what year but he averaged like 35 a game on him in the playoffs.

kdspurman
07-28-2015, 09:00 PM
I never said he would I said he did absolutely dismantle Robinson can't remember what year but he averaged like 35 a game on him in the playoffs.

My bad, I think I read your comment wrong. You said he dominated the best Spurs team we've seen, and that I don't agree with. No Spurs team can be the greatest without TD on it.

Chronz
07-29-2015, 11:29 AM

This is very true.

actually that was on whoever the coaches allowed to vote for them . media votes for all nba and dpoy back then