PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith: 'Harder' on family with lower salary

NYKnickFanatic
07-24-2015, 09:15 AM
"At the end of the day, you know, I do have a family," he said. "So it is going to be a little harder on me this year. But I'm going to push through it, you know."

Really? Don't go all Sprewell on me J-Smoove.

Isn't he still getting paid from the Pistons?!

Thumper 88
07-24-2015, 09:27 AM
This motherfker making millions and saying it's going to be hard on us? Smh

2-ONE-5
07-24-2015, 09:40 AM
lol other then the fact the Pistons are still paying him on top of his new salary in LA he could have just taken more money from the Kings. But what a clown, sorry multi millions arent enough for your bum ***

EDUTEXANS
07-24-2015, 09:49 AM
Where is this from? Because he doesn't mention money in those sentences. Isn't he talking about living further away from his family, maybe? Because, seriously, the guy will make over $6 million (on contracts alone). To play basketball.

Clippersfan86
07-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Where is this from? Because he doesn't mention money in those sentences. Isn't he talking about living further away from his family, maybe? Because, seriously, the guy will make over $6 million (on contracts alone). To play basketball.

Nope. He was talking about the money for sure.

THE MTL
07-24-2015, 10:16 AM
I don't think he's talking about salary people. He got waived by the pistons so they are still paying him full salary. He's probably referring to location

THE MTL
07-24-2015, 10:19 AM

Nope. He was talking about the money for sure.

But it was def taken out of context. You're an educated NBA fan and you know exactly how waivers work I hope. You know Josh Smith isn't going to miss a penny based off his Pistons salary so why are you even wasting your energy on some nonsense a reporter misquoted.

EDUTEXANS
07-24-2015, 10:37 AM
I don't think he's talking about salary people. He got waived by the pistons so they are still paying him full salary. He's probably referring to location

Detroit waived him via the stretch provision and they'll pay him around $5.4M a year for the next 5 seasons. but still, add that to the his new $1.5M minimum deal and all the millions he has already made in his career. I'm (almost) sure he's talking about location or something like that.

Hawkeye15
07-24-2015, 11:06 AM
If this is regarding money, stfu Josh.

Scoots
07-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Detroit waived him via the stretch provision and they'll pay him around $5.4M a year for the next 5 seasons. but still, add that to the his new $1.5M minimum deal and all the millions he has already made in his career. I'm (almost) sure he's talking about location or something like that.

The stretch provision says, I think, that he makes $5.4M this year and the Pistons owe him the difference between $5.4 and what the Clippers are paying. Last year he made $13.5M so he's making $8M less this year and his cost of living has gone up. As stupid as it seems even rich people struggle when their income is cut significantly.

Hawkeye15
07-24-2015, 11:17 AM
The stretch provision says, I think, that he makes $5.4M this year and the Pistons owe him the difference between $5.4 and what the Clippers are paying. Last year he made $13.5M so he's making $8M less this year and his cost of living has gone up. As stupid as it seems even rich people struggle when their income is cut significantly.

he decided to leave the state of Texas, which has no state income taxes, low housing costs, low everything, and move to one of the most expensive cities/states/tax structures himself. So who cares.

I am fully aware that people naturally tend to adjust their lifestyle to the salaries they are paid. It's just impossible for a normal person to have sympathy for a person who made $93.9 million and counting playing a game.

EDUTEXANS
07-24-2015, 11:52 AM

Actually, I think it's one-half of the difference between the new contract to the 1-year vet minimum. Is that clear?

So, if he's making $1.5M with the Clippers and the 1-year vet min is around $850k, the difference is about $650k, divided by 2, $325k. The Piston will still have to pay him $5.1M.

Scoots
07-24-2015, 12:03 PM
Actually, I think it's one-half of the difference between the new contract to the 1-year vet minimum. Is that clear?

So, if he's making $1.5M with the Clippers and the 1-year vet min is around $850k, the difference is about $650k, divided by 2, $325k. The Piston will still have to pay him $5.1M.

Cool, thanks for the info ... not that I know what I'll ever do with it :)

ManRam
07-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Great. A quote with no link and no context with it......

I'd imagine he's talking about things other than money here. But you know, it's hard to tell based on a quote, no link and no context.

Hawkeye15
07-24-2015, 12:07 PM
Great. A quote with no link and no context with it......

I'd imagine he's talking about things other than money here. But you know, it's hard to tell based on a quote, no link and no context.

That's why I am gonna run with the worst case scenario and judge!

Clippersfan86
07-24-2015, 12:29 PM
https://youtu.be/pewDcppf9lY

Skip to 14 minute mark to see Josh Smith's comments. It's definitely about money in this context, although quite frankly he sounds kinda dumb. He basically says it's not about the money, then says "But I do have a family so it's going to be hard".

nycericanguy
07-24-2015, 12:40 PM

Agreed, he's probably taking home less than $3m per year now, which is still a ton, but we all know these guys end up with several McMansions with property taxes and maintenance that eat up 50k a month or more. And he's probably supporting a ton of ppl too.

The mistake most people make is they add more bills when they make more money. and they never stop to think that maybe the big money won't last forever... wonder how hard it'll be for Smith in 3-4 years when there's no more NBA contract.

KnicksorBust
07-24-2015, 01:23 PM
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2015/07/23/josh-smith-los-angeles-clippers/30560381/

Lol I think he does mean money. Holy ****

CityofTreez
07-24-2015, 01:29 PM
I'm still confused how J-Smoove is his nickname?
Other than the "J" he is anything but smooth or smoove in his performance.

JasonJohnHorn
07-24-2015, 03:11 PM
He's making about 7 million a year; he was supposed to be making around million. It's a 50% pay cut, though the Pistons cash is being spread out over a longer period of time.

A lot of people don't realize that when NBA players say 'family', they don't usually mean their wife and kids. They mean their wife and kids, and borhters and sisters husbands and wives, and nephews and nieces and grand parents and parents and likely some cousins and aunts and uncles. And friends' families as well. There is an expectation that when you make it, you are going to take care of everybody. A lot of NBA players and athletes in general go broke doing that. Same thing happens to lottery winners.

I don't know Josh Smith's situation of course, but I'm sure he won't be missing any meals with close to 7 million a year coming in, plus he's in LA, so I'm sure there'll be some endorsement deals coming up for him.

HeatFan
07-24-2015, 03:37 PM
Sprewell was the first thought that came to my mind.

If he has to adjust his lifestyle it just speaks about how ignorant some pro-athletes are. Considering that you have a limited shelve life in many professional sports and that he is probably already on the downside of that period, then his lifestyle should have already adjusted to make sure his career earnings provide for him and his family for the rest of his life. Also, considering that he will still get paid millions more by Detroit, the comment just seems to be him convincing himself that he is some type of good Samaritan for not taking more money elsewhere and going to a winning team (which seems to be the trend now).

lol, please
07-24-2015, 03:58 PM
He's making about 7 million a year; he was supposed to be making around million. It's a 50% pay cut, though the Pistons cash is being spread out over a longer period of time.

A lot of people don't realize that when NBA players say 'family', they don't usually mean their wife and kids. They mean their wife and kids, and borhters and sisters husbands and wives, and nephews and nieces and grand parents and parents and likely some cousins and aunts and uncles. And friends' families as well. There is an expectation that when you make it, you are going to take care of everybody. A lot of NBA players and athletes in general go broke doing that. Same thing happens to lottery winners.

I don't know Josh Smith's situation of course, but I'm sure he won't be missing any meals with close to 7 million a year coming in, plus he's in LA, so I'm sure there'll be some endorsement deals coming up for him.

A flawed expectation, and a poor excuse.

There really is no defense for this attitude, none. Zero justification whatsoever, and it's pathetic and sad.

Clippersfan86
07-24-2015, 04:06 PM
Sprewell was the first thought that came to my mind.

If he has to adjust his lifestyle it just speaks about how ignorant some pro-athletes are. Considering that you have a limited shelve life in many professional sports and that he is probably already on the downside of that period, then his lifestyle should have already adjusted to make sure his career earnings provide for him and his family for the rest of his life. Also, considering that he will still get paid millions more by Detroit, the comment just seems to be him convincing himself that he is some type of good Samaritan for not taking more money elsewhere and going to a winning team (which seems to be the trend now).

Pretty much. Reminds me of when we re-signed Barnes 2 years ago. He felt the need to keep talking about the pay cut he took for the better of the team. If it's for the team STFU and stop talking about it.

nickdymez
07-24-2015, 04:44 PM

There really is no defense for this attitude, none. Zero justification whatsoever, and it's pathetic and sad.

lol, That's definitely your opinion. Taking care of your entire family inst the smartest business decision, its hardly "pathetic and sad"

lol, please
07-24-2015, 04:49 PM
lol, That's definitely your opinion. Taking care of your entire family inst the smartest business decision, its hardly "pathetic and sad"
No, it's it's a fact. You don't need north of a million dollars to do so. Its called money management. Its called being financially responsible. That's the entire point. I don't care how outrageous a pay cut he's taking, he's still making more than quadruple the amount it takes to sustain a family anywhere.

Heads of households in the USA have successfully sustained a family on 50k a year and we are supposed to believe 8 mil is hardship? You have no legs to stand on here.

5ass
07-24-2015, 04:58 PM
Its sad. He's lost touch with reality.

Ezio
07-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Ah to be >6'6" would be awesome.

KnicksorBust
07-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Ah to be >6'6" would be awesome.

Let's not get it twisted because he said something stupid. It takes a hell of a lot more than being 6'6 to get in the NBA.

WOwolfOL
07-24-2015, 05:28 PM
Does he live check to check or something

Burkey3472
07-24-2015, 06:16 PM
1) He's made close to $100 million dollars in his career (11-12 seasons). You would think he'd have a sizable chunk of savings.

2) Even at his salary he should be able to support all of his family with plenty left over with quality money management.

PowerHouse
07-24-2015, 07:12 PM
The struggle is real when you go from a 10,000 square foot mansion down to a 7,000 square foot mansion. He might of even sold one of his Rolls Royces just to put a meal on the table. C'mon guys have a heart.

5ass
07-24-2015, 07:23 PM
The struggle is real when you go from a 10,000 square foot mansion down to a 7,000 square foot mansion. He might of even sold one of his Rolls Royces just to put a meal on the table. C'mon guys have a heart.
Damn. You're right! We should all donate some money to help those poor kids. Oh those poor children! :(

JasonJohnHorn
07-24-2015, 07:30 PM

Well... it wasn't meant as a defense or justification. Just an observation. People have extended families they want to take care of. They don't plan well. The money dries up faster than you'd expect. I don't think it is pathetic to want to help take care of your extended family and friends, but I think it is sad that people don't plan.

My understanding is the NBA has programs in place for players to educate them about this when they come into the league, but not everybody listens.

People would do well to taken lessons from Magic and Shaq in this respect, but for every Magic and Shaq, there's a Tim Duncan, who trusts the wrong person and ends up getting taken for millions. Duncan is fortunately still in great shape, but he got taken for a big enough ride that if it had happened to guy sitting at the end of the bench, his life savings would be gone.

Holydiver
07-24-2015, 07:35 PM
my wife is a school teacher and this summer they sent out an email to all the county teachers telling them how they could get a deal on a loan to make ends meet this summer at a credit union.

thankfully I make money too but some teachers in this county cant even eat this summer.

to hear this *** hole makes me vomit. all pro athletes can suck my $#@! I am sick of their salaries. they aren't worth them

PowerHouse
07-24-2015, 07:59 PM
Damn. You're right! We should all donate some money to help those poor kids. Oh those poor children! :(

Um yea. I really hope you knew I was kidding. Im pretty sure I made it obvious enough.

Vinylman
07-24-2015, 08:06 PM
shocking ...

another idiot athlete opens his mouth and inserts foot...

never seen this happen before :rolleyes:

5ass
07-24-2015, 09:20 PM
Um yea. I really hope you knew I was kidding. Im pretty sure I made it obvious enough.

How about you try living on 7 million a year before being so sarcastic!? It's tough man...

PowerHouse
07-25-2015, 12:30 AM
How about you try living on 7 million a year before being so sarcastic!? It's tough man...

:clap:

Thats one thing I wish I could try.

Munkeysuit
07-25-2015, 12:57 AM
He must live a Millionaire lifestyle, and take care of tons of family, this is why he probably feels this way...if you don't really get what he's saying, it's probably because you never had as much money as he does.

Saddletramp
07-25-2015, 02:11 AM
Complaining about money after making as much as he has is pretty silly and he deserves a lot of flak for it. But it's not like he Sprewelled this by refusing a high number and saying it wasn't enough to feed his kids.

Also, his contract he signed with Detroit was for what? Around $13 million a year? After taxes (Michigan has both state and federal taxes, right?) and agent fees, he's looking at what? 1/3 of that contract per year? I think that's the number I've read on a few different places in the past. So that's anout $9 million a year he was taking home, give or take (probably a bit less). With the stretch provision and money coming off of the top of that, he's going to making what? $4 million (rough math)? Go take a 50% paycut for a year and see what happens.

I know that a man only needs so much to live comfortably, but when you make a certain amount and you're money is being pulled this way and that way, it's kinda hard to take an off year, especially in your prime (in Smith's case, at the end of his prime).

Will he be ok? I'm pretty sure he will. Will he have to trim some of the fat? Yeah. But he knew that when he signed for the vet min and I think it's more telling that he did that than that he said it's gonna be a little harder on his family.

Scoots
07-25-2015, 02:13 AM
Charles Haley speaking to the 49ers rookies told them to "look at the white guys and act like them" :) I wonder if JJ Redick could "survive" with his "family" for $5M a year?

Jarvo
07-25-2015, 02:18 AM
Let's not get it twisted because he said something stupid. It takes a hell of a lot more than being 6'6 to get in the NBA.

Ehh it's a lot of dudes just in there just because they can rebound a ball or block shots but I get you lol

Jarvo
07-25-2015, 02:18 AM
Josh Smith is an *** clown lol

Saddletramp
07-25-2015, 02:30 AM
Charles Haley speaking to the 49ers rookies told them to "look at the white guys and act like them" :) I wonder if JJ Redick could "survive" with his "family" for $5M a year?

Speaking of *******s. Haley also said he did it to get their attention as athletes that age have the attention span of a 5 year old.

ackar
07-25-2015, 12:15 PM
It wasnt about the money because of the Detroit situation. But at the end of the day, you know, I do have a family. So, it is going to be a little harder on me this year. But Im going to push through it and try to do long-term after this year. But I think, this year, focusing on doing something special with this group of guys we have the opportunity to do something special. Right now, this is what I want to focus on.

I'll just leave this full context of his quote right here. I believe his quote is more than about money. His first line when speaking on the subject even says that.

Vinylman
07-25-2015, 12:31 PM
It wasnt about the money because of the Detroit situation. But at the end of the day, you know, I do have a family. So, it is going to be a little harder on me this year. But Im going to push through it and try to do long-term after this year. But I think, this year, focusing on doing something special with this group of guys we have the opportunity to do something special. Right now, this is what I want to focus on.

I'll just leave this full context of his quote right here. I believe his quote is more than about money. His first line when speaking on the subject even says that.

that isn't the full quote ... people can listen to the audio which is much longer...

Again... he is being self serving saying he is making a sacrifice ... no one ****ing cares... get paid ... don't get paid ... it is his choice... and judging by his intelligence he is gonna need all the money he can get

Clippersfan86
07-25-2015, 12:39 PM
that isn't the full quote ... people can listen to the audio which is much longer...

Again... he is being self serving saying he is making a sacrifice ... no one ****ing cares... get paid ... don't get paid ... it is his choice... and judging by his intelligence he is gonna need all the money he can get

Definitely seems like a dumb guy. Then again most NBA players seem dumb. They aren't very cerebral. Interestingly enough Jamal Crawford on court is borderline developmentally disabled.... is incredibly bright in interviews. Very unexpected lol.

Vinylman
07-25-2015, 01:04 PM
Definitely seems like a dumb guy. Then again most NBA players seem dumb. They aren't very cerebral. Interestingly enough Jamal Crawford on court is borderline developmentally disabled.... is incredibly bright in interviews. Very unexpected lol.

yeah... crawford is funny that way...

as for Josh... just shut up and play...

Clippersfan86
07-25-2015, 01:09 PM
yeah... crawford is funny that way...

as for Josh... just shut up and play...

Yea. Josh pulled a Matt Barnes. We get it dude, you could of gotten more money on a ****** lotto team. But IF you decide to sacrifice money for winning you don't need to remind the world.

Vinylman
07-25-2015, 01:13 PM
Yea. Josh pulled a Matt Barnes. We get it dude, you could of gotten more money on a ****** lotto team. But IF you decide to sacrifice money for winning you don't need to remind the world.

exactly...

what is funny though is his attitude about money... he better get use to cutting back because in 5 years he will have ZERO income... he will be dying for a league minimum deal.

sagemania
07-26-2015, 03:21 AM
poor baby. Who the **** is he feeding the klumps?

Hawkeye15
07-26-2015, 03:37 AM

he has made $93.9 million. Its not only pathetic and sad, it's a slap in the fact to 99.9% of the entire world if this idiot hasn't put away money for not only his family, but the next 4 generations of his family

More-Than-Most
07-26-2015, 04:33 AM
People on their high horses complaining about what he said I get... Complaining about how much pro players make while you all constantly shell out money to said sports time and time again seems kind of stupid if you ask me. If you go to games and order the networks and buy the jerseys you have no right to complain how much any player gets paid in any sport... Telling this *** clown to shut up is accurate... complaining about the general player and how insane it is at what they are paid is dumb.

RubberBand Man
07-26-2015, 05:28 AM
Then why did he accept the minimum? Doubt he was talking about money though..... I hope.

hugepatsfan
07-26-2015, 09:10 AM
I bet he was talking about money and people blew it up further than he meant it. He's been making over $10 mil a year since 2008. Now he's going to be making half of that. That's an adjustment for anyone. When he says harder, I doubt he means they won't be able to eat. He just means that him and his family are probably going to need to cut a few things out that they've grown accustomed to over the years.

Hawkeye15
07-26-2015, 11:24 AM
People on their high horses complaining about what he said I get... Complaining about how much pro players make while you all constantly shell out money to said sports time and time again seems kind of stupid if you ask me. If you go to games and order the networks and buy the jerseys you have no right to complain how much any player gets paid in any sport... Telling this *** clown to shut up is accurate... complaining about the general player and how insane it is at what they are paid is dumb.

People seek entertainment. That won't stop. They also have the right to tell this dude to stfu for complaining about money in his circumstance. They absolutely do. I am not going to stop watching and paying for basketball because 3% of them put their foot in their mouth.

Hawkeye15
07-26-2015, 11:27 AM
I bet he was talking about money and people blew it up further than he meant it. He's been making over $10 mil a year since 2008. Now he's going to be making half of that. That's an adjustment for anyone. When he says harder, I doubt he means they won't be able to eat. He just means that him and his family are probably going to need to cut a few things out that they've grown accustomed to over the years.

But he signed up for a career that is over by 37. When you do that, you have to understand, at that point, you better have earned enough money to spread over a LONG time. Or get another job, which ain't gonna pay anywhere near what you were making with your intelligence level. So if he hasn't done a good job of stashing a **** load of money away, boo hoo for him. I could, at age 39, retire on $3 million for eternity. He has make 30 times that already. How could anyone possibly even feel anything other than, "**** you Smith" when you hear this?

blahblahyoutoo
07-26-2015, 02:47 PM
"At the end of the day, you know, I do have a family," he said. "So it is going to be a little harder on me this year. But I'm going to push through it, you know."

we don't know jsmooth. we don't know. wait, axe us again if we know.

but honestly, when you're used to making x dollars per paycheck and it gets reduced, you do feel it. the smart thing to do was to financially plan for the eventual paycut, but we know bball players aren't the cream of the crop when it comes to math and budgeting.

blahblahyoutoo
07-26-2015, 02:57 PM
https://youtu.be/pewDcppf9lY

Skip to 14 minute mark to see Josh Smith's comments. It's definitely about money in this context, although quite frankly he sounds kinda dumb. He basically says it's not about the money, then says "But I do have a family so it's going to be hard".

wtf does this sound like it was recorded in the 50s?
can't balmer afford a better system with his billions?

LA_Raiders
07-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Lol. What a clown. Stay humble dumbass

blahblahyoutoo
07-26-2015, 03:01 PM

more like baby mommas and child care payments.

Saddletramp
07-27-2015, 06:23 AM
It's kind of funny when people ***** about a guy saying he needs to adjust when he takes a 50% pay cut but no one bats an eye when guys sign for the max or close to it just because it's the most they can get if they're worth it or not. Draymond Green and Klay Thompson could have helped the Warriors by signing for $10 million each. Hey, that's more than they need, right? Why be greedy, right? $10 million to play a game? That's ridiculous, right?

Honestly, it's refreshing to see guys like West and Smith take paycuts to win when they could have way more money for crappier teams. Anybody taking a 50% pay cut needs to adjust their spending. Some of you loathsome goofs thinks every house is the same and the only thing he's spending his money on is how many cars he can buy this year and how much rain he can make at the club.

Tony_Starks
07-27-2015, 10:31 AM
I'm all for the players getting the absolute most they can possibly get at all times. Fans are going to be jealous because they are getting paid millions to "play a game."

A "game" that generates billions and billions of dollars btw. I don't see anyone complaining when the suits get paid, the corporate sponsors get paid, incompetent greedy gms and owners get paid.

But let the ones that actually have the skills want to max out every single opportunity and they are the scum of the earth.

Sounds typical.

MonroeFAN
07-27-2015, 10:42 AM
As much as I dislike Josh Smith, a lot of you are taking this the wrong way I think.

Remove money from this equation, as fans of this league it's got nothing to do with us. He's making less money than he's accustomed to making, and made the comment. Not a smart comment, but I'm not going to blame him.

Scoots
07-27-2015, 11:34 AM
I'm all for the players getting the absolute most they can possibly get at all times. Fans are going to be jealous because they are getting paid millions to "play a game."

A "game" that generates billions and billions of dollars btw. I don't see anyone complaining when the suits get paid, the corporate sponsors get paid, incompetent greedy gms and owners get paid.

But let the ones that actually have the skills want to max out every single opportunity and they are the scum of the earth.

Sounds typical.

This is what I've been saying whenever subjects like this come up. People don't understand that every dollar the players don't get the owner gets and the owners are ALWAYS getting more than the players already.

Vinylman
07-27-2015, 01:12 PM

Sounds typical.

who is talking about the above?

People are talking about a dumb statement made by a player WHO CHOSE TO TAKE LESS...

Who ****ing cares about his personal situation... I sure don't...

Additionally, his point is disingenuous when factoring the money he is getting from Detroit and that he anticipates making much more next year by signing a 1 year deal this year...

Again... he chose his path to pay for less than his market value

On a side note... your analysis of who gets paid is ignorant... the BRI split is 50/50 .... the players get 100% of their BRI... the owners use their BRI for operations which far exceed any costs that the players have...

the idea that basically 97 cents on every player BRI piece goes into their pockets is the same as 10% going to profits for ownership is laughable... the only time NBA franchises make significant money is when they get a government funded arena on favorable terms or they sell the team... Operating profits are minimal

Vinylman
07-27-2015, 01:14 PM
This is what I've been saying whenever subjects like this come up. People don't understand that every dollar the players don't get the owner gets and the owners are ALWAYS getting more than the players already.

false

2-ONE-5
07-27-2015, 02:01 PM
It's kind of funny when people ***** about a guy saying he needs to adjust when he takes a 50% pay cut but no one bats an eye when guys sign for the max or close to it just because it's the most they can get if they're worth it or not. Draymond Green and Klay Thompson could have helped the Warriors by signing for $10 million each. Hey, that's more than they need, right? Why be greedy, right? $10 million to play a game? That's ridiculous, right?

Honestly, it's refreshing to see guys like West and Smith take paycuts to win when they could have way more money for crappier teams. Anybody taking a 50% pay cut needs to adjust their spending. Some of you loathsome goofs thinks every house is the same and the only thing he's spending his money on is how many cars he can buy this year and how much rain he can make at the club.

Guys like Green and Klay's salaries provide an equal or greater return to their team unlike Smith.

Tony_Starks
07-27-2015, 03:07 PM

Sounds typical.

who is talking about the above?

People are talking about a dumb statement made by a player WHO CHOSE TO TAKE LESS...

Who ****ing cares about his personal situation... I sure don't...

Additionally, his point is disingenuous when factoring the money he is getting from Detroit and that he anticipates making much more next year by signing a 1 year deal this year...

Again... he chose his path to pay for less than his market value

On a side note... your analysis of who gets paid is ignorant... the BRI split is 50/50 .... the players get 100% of their BRI... the owners use their BRI for operations which far exceed any costs that the players have...

the idea that basically 97 cents on every player BRI piece goes into their pockets is the same as 10% going to profits for ownership is laughable... the only time NBA franchises make significant money is when they get a government funded arena on favorable terms or they sell the team... Operating profits are minimal

Oh Lord somebody else bought the "most NBA owners are LOSING money" sham.

If you really fell for that there's no need for me to debate.

Believe what you want.

Vinylman
07-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Oh Lord somebody else bought the "most NBA owners are LOSING money" sham.

If you really fell for that there's no need for me to debate.

Believe what you want.

typical... you got nothing so you mischaracterize my post... your inability to understand that BRI vs Profit is apples and oranges again shows your ignorance...

but just for ***** and giggles show me where i said that the NBA owners don't make money... of course i said the exact opposite

Tony_Starks
07-27-2015, 03:43 PM
At any rate I have no problem with what Josh said, even though I think it is being taken a bit too literally. He'll be in for a big payday after this year if he balls out, which I have a feeling he will.

The Clippers are a good fit.

Saddletramp
07-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Guys like Green and Klay's salaries provide an equal or greater return to their team unlike Smith.

A) That's not the point
and B) Josh Smith isn't an All Star and won't be worth what those players make but if you think Smith isn't a great investment at the league minimum then you're crazy.

Scoots
07-27-2015, 06:40 PM
false

This highest paid player in the NBA is Kobe Bryant. Do you believe that at the end of last year there was a single NBA team owner that made less than Kobe's $22.5M? And keep in mind that the owner's NBA related income includes things that are not included in BRI.

Jeffy25
07-27-2015, 10:31 PM
He might need some education on spending habits then.

If it's hard now, what are you going to do when you retire?

Jeffy25
07-27-2015, 10:33 PM
false

What?

They absolutely they are.

I doubt any player in the game makes as much as the average owner

The average NBA team made $37 million last year

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/01/25/the-most-and-least-profitable-nba-teams/

And that's just what's on the books for the league. They have so many revenue sources.

Just in distributions, they should make more than the highest paid players in the game.

It's a salary cap sport, owners are going to make more than the players.

2-ONE-5
07-28-2015, 08:28 AM
A) That's not the point
and B) Josh Smith isn't an All Star and won't be worth what those players make but if you think Smith isn't a great investment at the league minimum then you're crazy.

thats not the point.

RowBTrice
07-28-2015, 09:14 AM
what a ******* putz

Saddletramp
07-28-2015, 02:32 PM
thats not the point.

That's exactly the point you were making:

Smith is making the league vet min, Klay and Green are making about $15+ million.

Scoots
07-28-2015, 03:44 PM

To be fair you can't tell him what point he was making ... he may have been making a totally different point very poorly :)

2-ONE-5
07-28-2015, 03:49 PM

Smith is making the league vet min, Klay and Green are making about $15+ million.

you said they should have been giving discounts

Saddletramp
07-28-2015, 05:44 PM
you said they should have been giving discounts

Never said that. I said that no one cares when they don't give a discount but ***** at Smith for saying that things will be a little tighter this year because he's making less than half of what he made last year. When guys like Klay, Green or Lilliard say they won't take anything less than the max (and yes, I don't think they each made their 100% max), some guys say things like "good for them", "get all you can get when you can get it", "athlete's careers are short, cash in" and stuff like that. When a guy takes a tremendous paycut and basically says that his family won't be living/spending in the way that they're accustomed to, he gets vilified.

So no, that wasn't the point.

Vinylman
07-29-2015, 08:05 PM
This highest paid player in the NBA is Kobe Bryant. Do you believe that at the end of last year there was a single NBA team owner that made less than Kobe's $22.5M? And keep in mind that the owner's NBA related income includes things that are not included in BRI.

omfg...

typical

THE PLAYERS... no one talked about one team or one player

the players as a group make more than the owners annually... it isn't even close

Saddletramp
07-29-2015, 08:37 PM
omfg...

typical

the players as a group make more than the owners annually... it isn't even close

I should hope so. There's 30 owners and 450 roster spots.

Scoots
07-29-2015, 10:56 PM
omfg...

typical

I talked about one player ... that was my point that you said was false. You not understanding it doesn't mean it wasn't the point. Owners (who are individuals) make more than players (who are individuals) ... I did not say that owners collectively make more than players collectively.