PDA

View Full Version : The ridiculous sportsmanship commercial that came on during the playoffs years ago

Purch
07-22-2015, 07:00 PM
https://youtube.com/watch?v=9x0LgNVQjyY

Finally found this crap

Blows my mind now that I saw it again after all these years

How many of you remember this?

ewing
07-22-2015, 08:20 PM
what a chump

AllBall
07-22-2015, 08:38 PM
He touched it last bro.

HoopsDrive
07-22-2015, 09:30 PM
Well no wonder sporstmanship is such a rare sight in sports, look at these reactions.

GIANTKNICK
07-22-2015, 10:10 PM
I was looking for that nonsense a couple of weeks ago.

Leftcoast_yg
07-22-2015, 10:53 PM
Stupid Alex

numba1CHANGsta
07-23-2015, 01:07 AM
He's the Anti-LeBron lol

static_inferno
07-23-2015, 01:56 AM
They didn't have the luxury of the refs reviewing the play for 5 minutes before making the right call.

JasonJohnHorn
07-23-2015, 07:22 AM
When I played with my friends (unorganized ball), we'd always call it we touched it.

In organized sports it's different. There are officials. They fawked up a lot. So you lose out on one call; you make it up on another.

Purch
07-23-2015, 07:36 AM
When you're trying to develop morals for your children and you present a hypothetical scenario, you're supposed to be honest with them about the reality of the situation. The reality is that calls go in your favor, and calls don't throughout the course of the season. The reality is that you'll lose just as many games due to bad calls as you'll win. The reality is that you're putting your personal guilt above your teamates who've battled and died with you for this moment. The reality is that you're gonna be alienated by your team and classmates for a child's game. One of the major things they teach you at any level of basketball is not to complain about the refs, because it's up to your tesam to dictate the action. The coaches response is unrealistic.

If you want to teach your kid realistic morals about basketball a better example would have been....

Breaking up a potential fight between your teamate and someone on the other team... Being the first person in practice and the last person to leave....taking responsibility for a bad mistake you made to lose the game... Cheering your teamates on, even though you're stuck in the bench.. Saying no to drugs cause you have a bright future In sports.....Refusing to talk back when someone on the other team is trash talking... Comforting that player on your team who just missed the last shot.... Staying out late to help your teamate improve on a weakness..Offering a hand to someone on the other team who fell down on the floor

Every example I just gave are realistic moral actions that can easily teach players to be class acts on the basketball court and be leaders for their teamates. The commercial that I posted, is a way to be hated by your teamates, because the decision is morally ambiguous at best, and is illogical.

nastynice
07-23-2015, 07:44 AM
alex done ****ed up

Purch
07-23-2015, 11:24 AM
alex done ****ed up

Then funny part is...... The school actually looks like it has a lot of school sprit... So he def f'ed up

RLundi
07-23-2015, 03:17 PM
They didn't have the luxury of the refs reviewing the play for 5 minutes before making the right call.

Thisss.

HoopsDrive
07-23-2015, 06:04 PM
When you're trying to develop morals for your children and you present a hypothetical scenario, you're supposed to be honest with them about the reality of the situation. The reality is that calls go in your favor, and calls don't throughout the course of the season. The reality is that you'll lose just as many games due to bad calls as you'll win. The reality is that you're putting your personal guilt above your teamates who've battled and died with you for this moment. The reality is that you're gonna be alienated by your team and classmates for a child's game. One of the major things they teach you at any level of basketball is not to complain about the refs, because it's up to your tesam to dictate the action. The coaches response is unrealistic.

If you want to teach your kid realistic morals about basketball a better example would have been....

Breaking up a potential fight between your teamate and someone on the other team... Being the first person in practice and the last person to leave....taking responsibility for a bad mistake you made to lose the game... Cheering your teamates on, even though you're stuck in the bench.. Saying no to drugs cause you have a bright future In sports.....Refusing to talk back when someone on the other team is trash talking... Comforting that player on your team who just missed the last shot.... Staying out late to help your teamate improve on a weakness..Offering a hand to someone on the other team who fell down on the floor

Every example I just gave are realistic moral actions that can easily teach players to be class acts on the basketball court and be leaders for their teamates. The commercial that I posted, is a way to be hated by your teamates, because the decision is morally ambiguous at best, and is illogical.

I'm not going to argue whether the commercial is effective at instilling morals but there's no doubt to me that this is the morally correct response to such a scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJBRg1jA7AQ

Different sports yes but the exact same scenario, and this is coming from a sport where scoring is much, much more difficult than in basketball so that reversing a favorable call is even more detrimental.

How can one say that what the kid did in the commercial is morally ambiguous? Whether the other players/coaches would have reacted badly because of this is not the point tbh, the point is that the player was doing what was morally right in that scenario by telling the truth.

If other people will hate him or dislike him for what he did, so be it. In the real world, it's the same thing, not everyone will like one's action, even morally correct ones. For the record, I wouldn't blame anyone in that kid's position if they didn't tell the truth. But the fact that he did is worthy of respect and admiration. Rarely do you see players do that, and just by the responses in this thread, one knows why it is not an appreciated quality, that of being honest and a good sportsman.

As for being illogical, only if you consider it from a pure sports angle. Yes it is illogical that the kid would do that because the objective is to win, etc. Then you have to consider what the individual favors more, being fair or winning. Most would have obviously not said a thing. But there are cases like the one I showed, where fairness and sportsmanship trump the "winning above all" mentality. Unfortunately it is very rare.

Purch
07-26-2015, 07:47 AM
It's morally ambigious because many would argue that is morally unjustifiable to betray them trust of your teamates who've you've actually formed a bond with. You're choosing to put your own guilt, above the good of theteam as a whole. You decide to alter a crucial moment, completly disregarding the fact that throughout the season you and your teamates have been screwed repeatedly by bad calls (like any team in basketball). On top of putting your own sense of morality above the team, you're undermining the refs ability to do his job, and delaying the game. In most circumstances the ref will just tell you to go back to your huddle if you try and alter a call.

Shady66
07-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Thisss.
Lmfao

tredigs
07-26-2015, 03:58 PM
I'm not going to argue whether the commercial is effective at instilling morals but there's no doubt to me that this is the morally correct response to such a scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJBRg1jA7AQ

Different sports yes but the exact same scenario, and this is coming from a sport where scoring is much, much more difficult than in basketball so that reversing a favorable call is even more detrimental.

How can one say that what the kid did in the commercial is morally ambiguous? Whether the other players/coaches would have reacted badly because of this is not the point tbh, the point is that the player was doing what was morally right in that scenario by telling the truth.

If other people will hate him or dislike him for what he did, so be it. In the real world, it's the same thing, not everyone will like one's action, even morally correct ones. For the record, I wouldn't blame anyone in that kid's position if they didn't tell the truth. But the fact that he did is worthy of respect and admiration. Rarely do you see players do that, and just by the responses in this thread, one knows why it is not an appreciated quality, that of being honest and a good sportsman.

As for being illogical, only if you consider it from a pure sports angle. Yes it is illogical that the kid would do that because the objective is to win, etc. Then you have to consider what the individual favors more, being fair or winning. Most would have obviously not said a thing. But there are cases like the one I showed, where fairness and sportsmanship trump the "winning above all" mentality. Unfortunately it is very rare.

Your example is a poor one. It is an example of a player intentionally cheating, then having regrets about the outcome after he was bombarded by accusers on the opposite team. Missed calls happen far too often against your squad in a basketball game to take the moral high ground and screw your team over. If this kid did this every time there was a 50/50, I can 100% guarantee he would not be on the squad the following season. He'd also have no friends.

HoopsDrive
07-26-2015, 07:18 PM
It's morally ambigious because many would argue that is morally unjustifiable to betray them trust of your teamates who've you've actually formed a bond with. You're choosing to put your own guilt, above the good of theteam as a whole. You decide to alter a crucial moment, completly disregarding the fact that throughout the season you and your teamates have been screwed repeatedly by bad calls (like any team in basketball). On top of putting your own sense of morality above the team, you're undermining the refs ability to do his job, and delaying the game. In most circumstances the ref will just tell you to go back to your huddle if you try and alter a call.

I'm not taking into account the rest of the season when analyzing this particular incident. Yes what goes around comes around but I don't see how that suddenly makes a morally corrrect decision be ambiguous in nature. The fact that other players/coaches would become sour because of this really has no effect on whether this is a morally correct decision or not because it is. For the player, it wouldn't be prudent for him to do so for other reasons, as he'd be shunned and whatnot, but not on moral grounds.

Your example is a poor one. It is an example of a player intentionally cheating, then having regrets about the outcome after he was bombarded by accusers on the opposite team. Missed calls happen far too often against your squad in a basketball game to take the moral high ground and screw your team over. If this kid did this every time there was a 50/50, I can 100% guarantee he would not be on the squad the following season. He'd also have no friends.

Not much of a difference if you ask me. How about this one instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TPjx1DMaEw

Virtually no peer pressure from other players, the benefactor immediately gets up and addresses the referee telling him it was the wrong call and he simply tripped. There, that is almost the same situation, no cheating, no pressure (would be a PK if he wasn't honest), screwed his team over a goal (I guess equivalent of final possession). PS: I actually watched this live at home some months ago, that's how I was able to recall the incident so fast haha... there was also another fair play incident in the same match by a Japanese dude.

Missed calls happen a lot in soccer too and they're even more devastating there because scoring is rare. See: Mexico-Panama for a great example. The player there scored his PK and wasn't as honest as with the one I showed. I'm not gonna blame anyone here, my opinion on Guardado doesn't change at all, but my respect for the German increases because what he did is definitively morally correct and worthy of respect.

I mean, I'm not even sure how this can be argued tbh... it's no wonder fair play is so rare in sports. Like I mentioned above, yes there will be repercussions to doing this over and over again and I'm not one to blame people for not doing it... but when it is done, it should be praised and not condemned.

RLundi
07-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Even my girl watching that said, "that's gay."

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-26-2015, 08:36 PM
Lol when I seen that for the first time I couldn't stop laughing.

tredigs
07-26-2015, 08:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TPjx1DMaEw

Virtually no peer pressure from other players, the benefactor immediately gets up and addresses the referee telling him it was the wrong call and he simply tripped. There, that is almost the same situation, no cheating, no pressure (would be a PK if he wasn't honest), screwed his team over a goal (I guess equivalent of final possession). PS: I actually watched this live at home some months ago, that's how I was able to recall the incident so fast haha... there was also another fair play incident in the same match by a Japanese dude.

Missed calls happen a lot in soccer too and they're even more devastating there because scoring is rare. See: Mexico-Panama for a great example. The player there scored his PK and wasn't as honest as with the one I showed. I'm not gonna blame anyone here, my opinion on Guardado doesn't change at all, but my respect for the German increases because what he did is definitively morally correct and worthy of respect.

I mean, I'm not even sure how this can be argued tbh... it's no wonder fair play is so rare in sports. Like I mentioned above, yes there will be repercussions to doing this over and over again and I'm not one to blame people for not doing it... but when it is done, it should be praised and not condemned.
That's a better example.

I'm personally of the school of thought that it's fair/honest to raise your hand if you fouled the guy or walk away from the ball if it was off you (before the ref calls it), but that if he makes a mistake, you have absolutely no reason to correct him. Teams get screwed over themselves all game. It's all well and good to be "that guy" who wants to always do the right thing, but ultimately you're just the sucker in competitive sports where 95% of players are simply adhering to the refs/umps decisions.

NBA basketball truly is the worst example of sportsmanship though. This is the sport where players KNOW they fouled and or were not fouled, and will openly lie trying to sway the official... all game long.

goingfor28
07-26-2015, 10:58 PM
Alex is a moron. Would hate to be his teammate.

SupremeNY.
07-26-2015, 11:26 PM
I can tell some of yall never played ball before. Real ballers don't need to cheat on petty calls lol. Love this commercial.

Kyben36
07-27-2015, 01:21 AM
Here is the funny thing, if your playing pick up.... normally you call it that way too. you say whether or not you touched it and thats how its played. but if it is done in game its wrong ???. this actually happens in soccer all the time. Just watch here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoQ72lHYAg0

I am actually surprised that this hasnt happened more in basketball, meaning, somebody just refuses FT because there honestly wasnt a foul, or just turns the ball over if the clear wrong call is made.

I actually find it worse that its the typical small white team, vs big black team, LOL CLICHE

ewing
07-27-2015, 10:10 AM
Here is the funny thing, if your playing pick up.... normally you call it that way too. you say whether or not you touched it and thats how its played. but if it is done in game its wrong ???. this actually happens in soccer all the time. Just watch here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoQ72lHYAg0

I am actually surprised that this hasnt happened more in basketball, meaning, somebody just refuses FT because there honestly wasnt a foul, or just turns the ball over if the clear wrong call is made.

I actually find it worse that its the typical small white team, vs big black team, LOL CLICHE

When i am playing pick up ball and my team is losing i wait for a that moment in the game where neither team has gotten a bucket in a couple possessions then if my team scores i yell "eights" like the game is tied.

Captain Moroni
07-27-2015, 10:33 AM
Loved the message. Obviously it's needed

Kyben36
07-27-2015, 11:30 AM
When i am playing pick up ball and my team is losing i wait for a that moment in the game where neither team has gotten a bucket in a couple possessions then if my team scores i yell "eights" like the game is tied.

your the worst type of person...., and thats why I allways keep score.

ewing
07-27-2015, 11:37 AM
your the worst type of person...., and thats why I allways keep score.

#realballer

Jeffy25
07-27-2015, 10:42 PM
Character is what you do when nobody is watching...or in this case, doing the right thing when you don't have to.

If you find this to be crap, then I don't agree

Also, I didn't see this before.

Jeffy25
07-27-2015, 10:48 PM
The reactions of this thread show why it's even harder to do the right thing. Because instead of doing what is morally and ethically correct, he is 'crapped on' by those that don't agree or would dislike it.

These aren't even professionals, these are high school kids. What they do morally is far more important than what they ever do on the court. That will affect them more in life, than if they win a high school championship game.

If this is 'gay' to you, or you think it's crap. I don't agree with you. And it's not to chase the moral high road. But rather, this is the kind of thing high school kids need to do and have celebrated. Being honest is more important in life.

Purch
08-14-2015, 04:40 PM
It's amazing that not everyone finds this cringeworthy.

Purch
06-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Every year in the playoffs this commercial returns to my memory.. So i gotta bump it.

Chronz
06-08-2016, 06:27 PM

lol. so much victory

JWO35
06-08-2016, 06:46 PM
Meh...I understand why the people made this commercial and like many have said the same thing happens if its just a pickup game at the local YMCA/HS/College gym. Now they may have blown it out of proportion making it the "championship game" I doubt many would have done what Alex did in that scenario, but if its just a random regular season game in high school I wouldn't be pissed if I was his teammate.

Plus this isn't the NBA or College where a lot more is on the line...in HS you are still an amateur playing basketball just because you love the game. Why not practice good sportsmanship :shrug:

JasonJohnHorn
06-08-2016, 10:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxZgVPf69zY

Purch
06-09-2016, 04:24 PM
It definitely felt like a championship game watching it.. which might be the bigger issue

goingfor28
06-09-2016, 11:38 PM
Alex looks kinda like CP3

Purch
06-12-2016, 11:59 AM
Meh...I understand why the people made this commercial and like many have said the same thing happens if its just a pickup game at the local YMCA/HS/College gym. Now they may have blown it out of proportion making it the "championship game" I doubt many would have done what Alex did in that scenario, but if its just a random regular season game in high school I wouldn't be pissed if I was his teammate.

Plus this isn't the NBA or College where a lot more is on the line...in HS you are still an amateur playing basketball just because you love the game. Why not practice good sportsmanship :shrug:
I think you make some valid points. On the college/nba/international level these refs are paid really good money to officiate the games to the best of their abilities. So it makes a lot less sense to do something like this on a higher level, as opposed to when some part time high school teacher is the only ref on the court.

eDush
06-12-2016, 12:08 PM
Every year in the playoffs this commercial returns to my memory.. So i gotta bump it.
It's probably better to just let it go...:nod: