PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets, Danilo Gallinari reach two-year 34 mil contract extension

spreadeagle
07-21-2015, 05:54 PM
The Denver Nuggets have shipped Ty Lawson out the door for pennies on the dollar, However, some of the other guys rumored to be moved by the Nuggets are staying put. At least for now. For example, there is Wilson Chandler, who agreed to a contract extension with the team 10 days ago.

Now it’s Danilo Gallinari‘s turn.

The Italian forward with a deft scoring touch — he averaged 12.4 points a game last season and improved in the second half — has reached a deal on a two-year contract extension with the team, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.

Denver Nuggets forward Danilo Gallinari is finalizing an agreement on a two-year extension worth an additional $34 million on his contract, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The deal is a restructuring that includes a $2.5 million increase on the $11.5 million owed to Gallinari as he enters the final year of his contract in 2015-16, sources said. Under the newly negotiated terms, Gallinari will make $14 million this season, the first of a deal that runs through the 2017-18 season, sources said. He will make $15.5 million in 2016-17 and has a player option worth $16.1 million for the third year of the deal and a full trade kicker, sources said. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/21/report-nuggets-danilo-gallinari-reach-two-year-contract-extension/

beasted86
07-21-2015, 07:51 PM
Must have been really impressed by the last few weeks of last season... because otherwise he is way overpaid.

MonroeFAN
07-21-2015, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't offer a player with his history that type of contract. But it's two years, so minimal risk long term. Could easily jeopardize short term, and it makes you wonder what direction the team is headed in for the time being.

spreadeagle
07-21-2015, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't offer a player with his history that type of contract. But it's two years, so minimal risk long term. Could easily jeopardize short term, and it makes you wonder what direction the team is headed in for the time being.

True, I thought Lawson wold be the first domino to fall, right now they are not a playoff team in the west

Cracka2HI!
07-21-2015, 10:31 PM
I thought Denver would move Chandler and Gallo as well and try to tank. Then again they may be able to tank with those guys.

CodeRed
07-22-2015, 04:49 AM
He's getting some money this year, so he's making like 15 mil a year which isn't bad for a player his caliber. He's also only 26 and he will still be in his prime when Mudiay and Nukic reach theirs. He would've easily gotten this on the open market and it will look even better when the new CBA kicks in.

MonroeFAN
07-22-2015, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't be so sure he would get this on the open market. He's had a career full of injuries.

jimm120
07-22-2015, 02:16 PM
His best year was getting 16ppg....and that was 1 season.

I do agree that injuries derailed him, but man, his BEST season was that 16ppg at 6 rebounds. And since then, he's been horribad.

xxplayerxx23
07-22-2015, 02:21 PM
He's shown great flashes when healthy why not lol

cmellofan15
07-22-2015, 02:23 PM
wow....pretty surprised at this extension. a.) I'm not sure he's worth that kind of money from us b.) I don't really see where he fits in our tanking scheme, if that's what we're going with. I just kinda assumed since we dealt lawson.

KG2TB
07-22-2015, 02:27 PM
It's a good signing, IMO. They're obviously counting on him coming back strong and they could always trade him if he doesn't get injured again.

Hawkeye15
07-22-2015, 02:30 PM
I gave up trying to make sense of the money being thrown around long ago.

JEDean89
07-22-2015, 02:35 PM
He'll have excellent trade value next offseason when almost every team will have space to absorb his contract. lots of players next offseason and few FA's, Denver could get a haul for him if he has a nice season. same with wilson chandler.

MonroeFAN
07-22-2015, 02:43 PM
If he's healthy I give him 16 no questions asked. He's more talented than Parsons.

But those dang injuries. I mean he hasn't even come close to being healthy for extended periods of time. But if he stays healthy, then yeah it's a pretty genius move.

CodeRed
07-22-2015, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't be so sure he would get this on the open market. He's had a career full of injuries. With the contracts thrown around this off season, really? I think he would've gotten this much EASILY. Demarre Carroll got 4 years 60 mil.........

MonroeFAN
07-22-2015, 02:49 PM
I knew someone would make that argument, but I assumed it would be Wesley Matthews name being mentioned. Demarre is an NBA player, albeit overpaid, but at least he will play.

Matthews is a much better comparison.

JEDean89
07-22-2015, 03:11 PM
Mathews is, but at least Gallo showed after he came back that he still can play. this is the equivalent of a roughly 11 mil contract right now. he is solid for that type of contract, and the nuggs have all the cap space in the world anyway. they don't mind paying him.

NYKnickFanatic
07-22-2015, 03:23 PM
I love Gallo, but he is way to injury prone.

MonroeFAN
07-22-2015, 04:35 PM
Yeah JEDean, honestly the more I think about this the deal the more I think it has a high ceiling and basically irrelevant floor. He either plays and is worth the contract according to today's NBA standards, or he's injured and you guys move on in two seasons when your young guys are ready to roll.

CodeRed
07-22-2015, 04:38 PM
Yeah JEDean, honestly the more I think about this the deal the more I think it has a high ceiling and basically irrelevant floor. He either plays and is worth the contract according to today's NBA standards, or he's injured and you guys move on in two seasons when your young guys are ready to roll. Exactly. We don't have to pay nobody right now and I'm willing to pay for Gallo's potential if he can stay healthy. Its easy to forget he's only 26 years old.

MonroeFAN
07-22-2015, 04:54 PM
Gallo has shown me (personally) enough to give him that contract if he's healthy whether there is added potential or not.

CodeRed
07-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Gallo has shown me (personally) enough to give him that contract if he's healthy whether there is added potential or not. True. His shooting should flourish with the open looks Mudiay can give him.

nycericanguy
07-23-2015, 10:19 AM
Love Gallo but $17m is a lot for him considering all his injuries and the fact that he's never shot better than 41%.

Solid all around player, just like WIlson, but I'm def surprised that DEN is committing $30m per year to those two considering their time in DEN hasn't been so great. They have those 2 now for 8 combined years at huge money but it's hard to really count on them to stay on the court.

Melo's $24m per really isn't looking bad now.

JEDean89
07-23-2015, 12:03 PM
^^^ melo's deal looks great! thats why i was for it, I knew it would end up being affordable.

KnicksorBust
07-23-2015, 01:13 PM
Love Gallo but $17m is a lot for him considering all his injuries and the fact that he's never shot better than 41%.

Solid all around player, just like WIlson, but I'm def surprised that DEN is committing $30m per year to those two considering their time in DEN hasn't been so great. They have those 2 now for 8 combined years at huge money but it's hard to really count on them to stay on the court.

Melo's $24m per really isn't looking bad now.

People that only use fg% :rolleyes:

nycericanguy
07-23-2015, 01:28 PM

oh stop... you sound like an advanced stat pompous.

We all know Gallo hits a lot of 3's and gets to the line a decent amount, so yes before you say it he has a good TS% and that's why he's getting paid. Just because you use or like advanced stats doesn't mean regular stats go out the window and hold no weight.

Like I said I love Gallo's game, but going back to his NY days, I always said in order for him to go from really good player to an all star caliber player, he needed to raise his fg% some to around 45%... because at the end of the day a guy that misses 60% of his shots just can't make that next level. There are very few stars that shoot 41%... and Gallo has star potential but despite being a low usage guy could never really raise his fg% to a respectable level. that's what's holding him back from being an all star caliber player IMO.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-23-2015, 01:38 PM
Must have been really impressed by the last few weeks of last season... because otherwise he is way overpaid.

It was more than the last few weeks. He played like one of the top SF post all star break. Once he came back from the 2nd knee injury you could see his game come back strong. He was destroying some teams. He was actually playing too well for Denver's draft prospects. Thats why Denver sat him out full games (he was healthy) and in the 4th qtr of other games.

Tony_Starks
07-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Gallo seems like a classic never reach his potential guy. He has all the makings of a allstar but I can't see his health ever allowing anything more than teases of his potential.

It's basically been one thing after another since he was a rook.

ewing
07-23-2015, 02:21 PM
people that only use fg% :rolleyes:

is the name of your blog??????

ewing
07-23-2015, 02:22 PM
yeah jedean, honestly the more i think about this the deal the more i think it has a high ceiling and basically irrelevant floor. He either plays and is worth the contract according to today's nba standards, or he's injured and you guys move on in two seasons when your young guys are ready to roll.

i agree. Very solid post.

KnicksorBust
07-23-2015, 03:31 PM

oh stop... you sound like an advanced stat pompous.

We all know Gallo hits a lot of 3's and gets to the line a decent amount, so yes before you say it he has a good TS% and that's why he's getting paid. Just because you use or like advanced stats doesn't mean regular stats go out the window and hold no weight.

Like I said I love Gallo's game, but going back to his NY days, I always said in order for him to go from really good player to an all star caliber player, he needed to raise his fg% some to around 45%... because at the end of the day a guy that misses 60% of his shots just can't make that next level. There are very few stars that shoot 41%... and Gallo has star potential but despite being a low usage guy could never really raise his fg% to a respectable level. that's what's holding him back from being an all star caliber player IMO.

You make no sense. You claim to understand why he would be considered efficient and then ignore it completely and say his fg% is why he can't make it to the next level.

nycericanguy
07-23-2015, 03:54 PM
You make no sense. You claim to understand why he would be considered efficient and then ignore it completely and say his fg% is why he can't make it to the next level.

i make perfect sense... TS% isn't the end all be all stat. Yes he hits 3's and gets to the line some, but missing 60% of your FGA is bad, there's no way around that. especially for a low usage player. You can't rely on refs to get you to the line all the time, basketball is still about putting the ball in the hoop.

It's ok to like and use advanced stats, I do too, but man it's like some people become so enamored with certain stats that they act like other stats hold no weight. Just like people that say HR's or RBI's don't matter in baseball anymore.