PDA

View Full Version : Paul George is Back!!!

Tony_Starks
07-21-2015, 03:13 PM
Puts down a nice between the legs dunk. Good to see he's got his bounce back, they're talking about using him a lot at the stretch 4 this year also.

Should be a great year for the kid! At the least I hope Indy can give the Cavs a good scrimmage in the playoffs this season.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/21/paul-george-throws-down-between-legs-dunk-video/

naps
07-21-2015, 03:45 PM
This means he is back? Jeez!

Tony_Starks
07-21-2015, 03:50 PM

Yes is does.

Congrats on contributing a comment without bashing the Lakers, Kobe, or Laker fans BTW. You are making real progress!

slaker619
07-21-2015, 03:51 PM
If he really is healthy the Pacers will put up a fight in the East

NYKnickFanatic
07-21-2015, 03:58 PM
Knicks is back!

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-21-2015, 04:10 PM
Knicks is back!
Lol

cmellofan15
07-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Excited to see him play again. I'm not too confident that they'll pick up where they left off, but with he and Ellis together the Pacers look like they could finish in the top 4 in the east.

HouRealCoach
07-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Excited to see him play again. I'm not too confident that they'll pick up where they left off, but with he and Ellis together the Pacers look like they could finish in the top 4 in the east.

Hopefully you're joking

Tony_Starks
07-21-2015, 04:52 PM

Hopefully you're joking

How is that a joke, have you seen the east?

George and Monta and filler is quite possibly good enough for top 3 compared to the comp, they almost made the playoffs last year with no George...

LivinLakers
07-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Penny Hardaway is back too. He is the missing guard that the Sixers need to go all the way this year...
https://youtu.be/FGOkgtKRB9w

Vee-Rex
07-21-2015, 05:22 PM
If PG comes back fully healthy I don't see how anyone thinks they can't be a top 4 seed in the East. I think the Pacers will turn heads, but of course people won't believe it until it happens, and then they'll be salivating over them like a bunch of little girls.

In March people thought the Cavs would be a second round exit so unless the Pacers go on a 1000 game winning streak they'll doubt them.

IndyRealist
07-21-2015, 05:49 PM
As a Pacers fan, if you think Monta Ellis is making this team top 4 in the East, you're delusional. Toronto, Washington, Cleveland, Chicago and Atlanta are better without even trying. The Bucks and Heat improved and should be better. Boston got rid of Rondo, so i'd give them the edge as well.

With the choice of either a 19yr old rookie center or an underperforming backup to anchor, they'll be lucky not be bottom 10 in D. Then installing a new offense relying heavily on the new guy? Middle 10 at best. And this actually assumes Monta is a net positive, which he is not. We saw what happened when they lost Lance, losing West is as bad or worse.

Minimal
07-21-2015, 05:51 PM
Don't ******** yourself here. Pacers will be happy if they make the playoffs.

phantasyyy
07-21-2015, 06:28 PM

George and Monta and filler is quite possibly good enough for top 3 compared to the comp, they almost made the playoffs last year with no George...

If PG comes back fully healthy I don't see how anyone thinks they can't be a top 4 seed in the East. I think the Pacers will turn heads, but of course people won't believe it until it happens, and then they'll be salivating over them like a bunch of little girls.

In March people thought the Cavs would be a second round exit so unless the Pacers go on a 1000 game winning streak they'll doubt them.

Lmao.. the east is pretty bad, but its not that bad. Lol be real here. They lost both of their front court options, the anchor on the defensive end(which they pride themselves on) and their locker room leader.

They'll be lucky to reach the playoffs if anything.

Cavs/Bulls/Hawks/Wiz/Raptors/Bucks/Heat all >>>> Pacers

Then you have the Celtics, Pistons, Hornets all on the same level if not even the Knicker Bockers battling out for that 8th seed.

Vee-Rex
07-21-2015, 06:51 PM
Lmao.. the east is pretty bad, but its not that bad. Lol be real here. They lost both of their front court options, the anchor on the defensive end(which they pride themselves on) and their locker room leader.

They'll be lucky to reach the playoffs if anything.

Cavs/Bulls/Hawks/Wiz/Raptors/Bucks/Heat all >>>> Pacers

Then you have the Celtics, Pistons, Hornets all on the same level if not even the Knicker Bockers battling out for that 8th seed.

Both of their front court options? David West was a loss, I give you that, but Hibbert sucked. I think Mahinmi fills in well enough there. If you add in Jordan Hill (who performed well), Myles Turner who is a wildcard, Luis Scola, and Lavoy Allen, their big men aren't all that bad.

Of course their big men aren't great, but we're not talking about championship contender here. We're talking about top 4 in a weak East. If you look at their guards and forwards:

George Hill/Rodney Stuckey
Monta Ellis/CJ Miles
HEALTHY Paul George/Chase Budinger

Give me 4 teams in the East that has better wings than that.

Dudes are sleeping on the Pacers right now and I'm loving it. I'm not saying they absolutely WILL reach a top 4 seed, I'm saying they got a good shot (if PG returns to form of course).

I think George Hill and Monta Ellis will be a good backcourt. Their styles compliment each other. And CJ Miles is excellent off the bench, I know, because he played for us.

Bostonjorge
07-21-2015, 07:34 PM
George is one of those players who can carry a team by himself in the east. Only team he can't beat by himself in the east single handed is super Cleveland. Especially since the east playoff teams only lost important starting pieces and gained nothing. Of course only super Cleveland add help.

In the west pacers are in the lottery.

Tony_Starks
07-21-2015, 08:01 PM
George is one of those players who can carry a team by himself in the east. Only team he can't beat by himself in the east single handed is super Cleveland. Especially since the east playoff teams only lost important starting pieces and gained nothing. Of course only super Cleveland add help.

Exactly, I'm not sure why people are acting like these teams in the east are SO superior to the Pacers. The Wiz lost Pierce who was HUGE for them, Raptors got Carroll but lost Lou Will their instant offense off the bench, the Bulls have a new coach and are a question mark, and everyone else is just trying to fight to be .500.

If George is on his A game he can definitely carry Indy on his back in the JV league.

Stunner
07-21-2015, 09:04 PM
The East is better than it was last year if everyone is healthy . With the inclusion of winning the division not factoring in getting an automatic top seed it will be harder Indy to crack the top 4 . Pacers prob not even the 3rd best team in their own division .

ombada
07-22-2015, 02:22 AM
Pacers fan here. Pacers are flying waaay under the radar and im ok with it. We seem to play better when we are under the radar.

Heres the deal, West had his worst per game averages last year since his second year in the league. He was declining steadily the last 3 years and at the ripe age of 35 (when this season starts) he wouldnt be able to play true starter minutes anyway. He wont be in the league much longer.

If he had opted in, he would have been a 12 million dollar cheerleader possibly putting up around 10 pts and 6-7 rebounds a game, possibly less (he had 11.7/6.8 last year). Jordan Hill, who we signed on a 1 year 5 million dollar contract put up 12/7.9 last year.

Will we miss his leadership? yes, but at this point it wouldnt mean much after he threw the organization under the bus for "mistreating" a 7'2 cry baby. its a business and the matter was treated as such.

Speaking of Hibbert, some people think we lost him for nothing but a second rounder, but it cleared up space to sign Stuckey, Jordan Hill and Joe young. Hibberts defensive production dropped a bit last year and his offensive production has obviously topped out. He was never going to put up better numbers than 12.8/8.8 (2011-2012) in a pacers uniform, and that was at his absolute best (10.6/7.1 last year)

Ian Mahinmi actually had a comparable defensive impact on the floor without being as much of an offensive liability because a) he took less shots and converted them at a higher percentage; and b) he rebounds the basketball effectively.

I know its a terrible stat and speculative and inaccurate, but if you average out Mahinmi's per 36, the stats are comparable to Hibberts and hes on a 4 million dollar contract. He could potentially be a better investment, until Myles Turner develops into a full time starter.

So lets look at the depth chart.

Traditional Line-up:

PG - George Hill/Stuckey?/Young (we may sign another experienced PG before the season, we have 2 roster spots open)
SG - Ellis/Solomon Hill/Stuckey
SF - George/CJ Miles/Budinger
PF - Jordan Hill/Lavoy allen/Whittington
C - Ian Mahinmi/Myles Turner

Small Line-up:

PG - G. Hill/Young/Stuckey
SG - Ellis/Stuckey/S. Hill
SF - Miles/Budinger
PF - George/Allen/Whittington
C - J. Hill/Turner/Mahinmi

The team is based around the idea of position fluidity, that most of the players can play at multiple positions. Its based a lot on what GS did last year, along with some of the other teams who have tried it in the past.

The team is changing its style dramatically, and along with it came drastic roster changes. They want to run, they want to score a lot and they believe that what they give up on defense can be made back 2 fold on offense.

I dont know how it will work and can not claim that the Pacers will be in the top 4 in the east. Could they? yes. its possible and not that unlikely. Most teams dont have a player like George. G Hill is coming off of his best year and seems to finally understand how to run an offense. Stuckey is as good as any 6th man in the league. Ellis is an upgrade at 2 and can put up a ton of points. Two of the three highest payed and most under performing players are gone and have been replaced with roughly the same production at 1/4th to half of the cost. The bench is pretty beefed up aside from PG depth.

I believe this will be a strong team in the east. I dont know how strong, but i think they are definitely flying way under the radar.

Also we have every player with the last name 'Hill' in the NBA on our roster :laugh2: How can we lose?

nickdymez
07-22-2015, 03:06 AM
Seeing that he gruesomely broke his leg a year ago, now he's doing between the leg dunks. Yea.

xxcubs22xx
07-22-2015, 06:44 AM
I would like to know the height of that rim before making any assumptions.

Indiana did not make the playoffs last year. I think they'll struggle again this year and be a 6 seed at best if they do make the playoffs.

IndyRealist
07-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Pacers fan here. Pacers are flying waaay under the radar and im ok with it. We seem to play better when we are under the radar.

Heres the deal, West had his worst per game averages last year since his second year in the league. He was declining steadily the last 3 years and at the ripe age of 35 (when this season starts) he wouldnt be able to play true starter minutes anyway. He wont be in the league much longer.

If he had opted in, he would have been a 12 million dollar cheerleader possibly putting up around 10 pts and 6-7 rebounds a game, possibly less (he had 11.7/6.8 last year). Jordan Hill, who we signed on a 1 year 5 million dollar contract put up 12/7.9 last year.

Will we miss his leadership? yes, but at this point it wouldnt mean much after he threw the organization under the bus for "mistreating" a 7'2 cry baby. its a business and the matter was treated as such.

Speaking of Hibbert, some people think we lost him for nothing but a second rounder, but it cleared up space to sign Stuckey, Jordan Hill and Joe young. Hibberts defensive production dropped a bit last year and his offensive production has obviously topped out. He was never going to put up better numbers than 12.8/8.8 (2011-2012) in a pacers uniform, and that was at his absolute best (10.6/7.1 last year)

Ian Mahinmi actually had a comparable defensive impact on the floor without being as much of an offensive liability because a) he took less shots and converted them at a higher percentage; and b) he rebounds the basketball effectively.

I know its a terrible stat and speculative and inaccurate, but if you average out Mahinmi's per 36, the stats are comparable to Hibberts and hes on a 4 million dollar contract. He could potentially be a better investment, until Myles Turner develops into a full time starter.

So lets look at the depth chart.

Traditional Line-up:

PG - George Hill/Stuckey?/Young (we may sign another experienced PG before the season, we have 2 roster spots open)
SG - Ellis/Solomon Hill/Stuckey
SF - George/CJ Miles/Budinger
PF - Jordan Hill/Lavoy allen/Whittington
C - Ian Mahinmi/Myles Turner

Small Line-up:

PG - G. Hill/Young/Stuckey
SG - Ellis/Stuckey/S. Hill
SF - Miles/Budinger
PF - George/Allen/Whittington
C - J. Hill/Turner/Mahinmi

The team is based around the idea of position fluidity, that most of the players can play at multiple positions. Its based a lot on what GS did last year, along with some of the other teams who have tried it in the past.

The team is changing its style dramatically, and along with it came drastic roster changes. They want to run, they want to score a lot and they believe that what they give up on defense can be made back 2 fold on offense.

I dont know how it will work and can not claim that the Pacers will be in the top 4 in the east. Could they? yes. its possible and not that unlikely. Most teams dont have a player like George. G Hill is coming off of his best year and seems to finally understand how to run an offense. Stuckey is as good as any 6th man in the league. Ellis is an upgrade at 2 and can put up a ton of points. Two of the three highest payed and most under performing players are gone and have been replaced with roughly the same production at 1/4th to half of the cost. The bench is pretty beefed up aside from PG depth.

I believe this will be a strong team in the east. I dont know how strong, but i think they are definitely flying way under the radar.

Also we have every player with the last name 'Hill' in the NBA on our roster :laugh2: How can we lose?

Obviously a Pacers fan, and I will have to disagree completely with this post. This is why you don't look at per game averages. Per minute (or 36 or 48 or whatever flavor you want) Roy's points, rebounds, and assists were actually UP last year, not down. His turnovers were down, 2pt FG% up from the year before and the same over the previous two years, free throw % up, TS% slightly up. Where's the discrepancy in our evaluations? HE PLAYED LESS MINUTES.

Among players with more than 4 opponent FGA at rim per game, Roy ranked 4th in at rim FG defense at 42.6%, behind Rudy Gobert, Serge Ibaka, and Andrew Bogut. Ian Mahimni ranked 11th at 45.5%. Link here. (http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/player/defense/?CF=FGA_DEFEND_RIM*G*4&Season=2014-15&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=FGP_DEFEND_RIM&dir=-1)

And trading Hibbert did NOT give us the space to sign Hill, Young, and Stuckey. Losing West did. The cap is $70M, with no signings or trades we were sitting at roughly $50M in salary. Stuckey and Ellis could could be signed under the $20M space we had, then trade for Budinger and sign our two draft picks to move us over the cap. Everything but Jordan Hill could have happened without moving Hibbert, and depending on how much he makes, it could have happened if we didn't trade for Budinger.

West did decline last year, but he was also injured for a big part of it. I was not a fan of signing him to the 3yr deal when we did, but I'm also not a fan of leaving a big gaping hole at PF without a succession plan. PG ain't it. As he takes a beating from guys 30lbs heavier than him every night, either he's going to demand to play SF, demand a trade, or his knees and back will give out. Remember Jermaine O'Neal?

It's easy to do what Golden State did if you have Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, and Andrew Bogut, with Andre Igoudala coming off the bench. We traded our Andrew Bogut for a 2nd round pick.

Stinkyoutsider
07-22-2015, 12:30 PM
I'm glad to see George back! Can't wait until the season gets going.

Larry Bird has been telling all of us that he's ready to play an up-tempo style. With George at the 4, the team will play faster and be able to get easy baskets. Remember that George is a good ballhandler and can push the break.

My question is about their defending and whether they'll be able to make their opponents play their style of ball.

cmellofan15
12-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Hopefully you're joking

As a Pacers fan, if you think Monta Ellis is making this team top 4 in the East, you're delusional. Toronto, Washington, Cleveland, Chicago and Atlanta are better without even trying. The Bucks and Heat improved and should be better. Boston got rid of Rondo, so i'd give them the edge as well.

With the choice of either a 19yr old rookie center or an underperforming backup to anchor, they'll be lucky not be bottom 10 in D. Then installing a new offense relying heavily on the new guy? Middle 10 at best. And this actually assumes Monta is a net positive, which he is not. We saw what happened when they lost Lance, losing West is as bad or worse.

Don't ******** yourself here. Pacers will be happy if they make the playoffs.

lmao (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2016.html?lid=header_seasons)

Vee-Rex
12-02-2015, 02:57 PM

Just thought I'd quote this.

Tony_Starks
12-02-2015, 03:16 PM

Hopefully you're joking

At least I got one prediction right! lol

FraziersKnicks
12-02-2015, 03:39 PM

Exactly, I'm not sure why people are acting like these teams in the east are SO superior to the Pacers. The Wiz lost Pierce who was HUGE for them, Raptors got Carroll but lost Lou Will their instant offense off the bench, the Bulls have a new coach and are a question mark, and everyone else is just trying to fight to be .500.

If George is on his A game he can definitely carry Indy on his back in the JV league.

Why are people still going with this narrative? This season the two conferences look the most well matched in recent memory.

1: 13-5 and 19-0
2: 11-5 and 14-4
3: 10-5 and 11-7
4: 10-6 and 11-8
5. 11-7 and 11-8
6. 12-8 and 10-8
7. 10-7 and 8-8
8. 10-8 and 8-10

You would be excused for thinking the West was on the left... That's actually the East with the superior records through the 3-8 seed.

The East is also up 27-25 in interconference battles... But keep going with the narrative that the East is absolutely terrible compared to the West.

Scoots
12-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Pacers were my pick to break the Warriors streak.

WOwolfOL
12-02-2015, 04:22 PM
Looks like this dude really worked on his shot while his mobility was limited. Wish D. Rose did the same.

MonroeFAN
12-02-2015, 05:10 PM

In the west pacers are in the lottery..

Bet you feel foolish after all the **** you talked this off season about the eastern conference.