PDA

View Full Version : Report: Joel Embiid rebroke the navicular bone in his right foot.

spreadeagle
07-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Iím not a doctor, but this sounds like trouble.

The Sixers drafted Joel Embiid at No. 3 a year ago despite foot a foot injury, one which led to a surgery that put two screws in his navicular bone. That bone is on the inside of the foot near the top and helps connect the ankle bone to the rest of the foot. The Sixers were patient with Embiidís recovery, not pushing him to return.

Then this summer he re-injured his foot. The Philadelphia Inquirer now reports he rebroke the same bone.

Of course, there is the impending surgery on Joel Embiidís right foot, which should be any day. Sources have confirmed to the Daily News that the navicular bone in his right foot was rebroken.

Ugh.

Again, Iím no doctor but a bone breaking that has a couple screws in it already is not good news.

Embiid is again expected to miss the entire NBA season recovering. Itís fair to start wondering if this is all career threatening. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/20/report-joel-embiid-rebroke-the-navicular-bone-in-his-right-foot-ugh/

LongIslandIcedZ
07-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Smart move taking Okafor.

Tony_Starks
07-20-2015, 11:31 AM
Feel bad for the kid.

Don't feel bad for Philly.

sweet-d
07-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Haha Yeah sucks for him. Hopefully he recovers...

JEDean89
07-20-2015, 11:52 AM
It sucks for Embiid, but being a 7 footer with foot, back and knee injuries before he enters the NBA needs to be a huge red flag for teams, as those are the 3 worst injuries for bigs. I don't know if he can still be the same player we thought he could be. He can still be good, just not the Hakeem/Stoudemire combo he was looking like. Philly sucked for an entire year to draft him, that's tough for the fans to swallow if he's not playing in next year summer league.

Tony_Starks
07-20-2015, 12:01 PM
It sucks for Embiid, but being a 7 footer with foot, back and knee injuries before he enters the NBA needs to be a huge red flag for teams, as those are the 3 worst injuries for bigs. I don't know if he can still be the same player we thought he could be. He can still be good, just not the Hakeem/Stoudemire combo he was looking like. Philly sucked for an entire year to draft him, that's tough for the fans to swallow if he's not playing in next year summer league.

Any knowledgeable fan knows they were screwing up when they got him. They drafted two damaged goods Bigs in consecutive years. One is risky, two is just plain stupidity.

It's like taking Sam Bowie one year then taking Greg Oden the next.

2-ONE-5
07-20-2015, 12:08 PM
christ did you just compare Noel to Bowie while calling him damaged goods? damn i knew you hated the Sixers but at least use some logic man. Also no one here is losing sleep about missing out on Grodon, Exum, Randle, etc, Embiid was 100% worth the risk and we also tanked for Wiggins not Embiid.

Westbrook36
07-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Any knowledgeable fan knows they were screwing up when they got him. They drafted two damaged goods Bigs in consecutive years. One is risky, two is just plain stupidity.

:yawn:

Damaged goods is taking the #1 pick in the 2013 draft pre-injury in Noel after an ACL injury..A terrible career threatening injury :laugh2:

With Embiid you HAVE to take him at #3 when you miss out on Wiggins/Parker. He is a freak of nature athlete with the potential to be one of the most fluid bigs we've ever seen on a basketball court.

Everyone likes to run with media reports that come out with these "sources"..We don't know if he broke the bone in the same exact place or how severe the re-break is (Obviously he has to get surgery regardless). Let's wait for the actual information to come in before we make claims. It's definitely not bright news for his future, but we have cases on both spectrums of it working out and not working out.

The fact that he's still extremely young/growing and that they'll be transferring healthy bone with the bone graft surgery works in his favor. Big Z suffered through the same type of injury and he's not half the athlete that Embiid is.

PhillyFaninLA
07-20-2015, 12:24 PM

You know your Sam Bowie point only matters if you can tell me who the Michael Jordan was. I mean that is the reason Sam Bowie is relevant. So.....waiting....

dodgersuck
07-20-2015, 12:33 PM

Who would have been a better pick? When your as bad as the Sixers you have to take BPA and that draft sucked outside the top 3. It was a risk and it hasn't paid off but it was still the right move.

raiderposting
07-20-2015, 12:34 PM
He's done. He will never be a star and that sucks.

5ass
07-20-2015, 12:55 PM
Who would have been a better pick? When your as bad as the Sixers you have to take BPA and that draft sucked outside the top 3. It was a risk and it hasn't paid off but it was still the right move.

I know sixers fans are trying to look at the brighter side here, but let's calm down with all this talk. That draft was always considered deep. There are potential all stars or all star level players outside the top 3. Let's wait a couple of years before claiming they all suck, because I'd bet you'll be proven wrong.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-20-2015, 01:12 PM
thats what you get for purposly tanking

beasted86
07-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Doesn't really suck for him too bad. He's made probably $6-8M and never played a game.

Shouldn't suck for Philly management because they understood the risks.

GREATNESS ONE
07-20-2015, 02:21 PM
Yikes.

Gritz
07-20-2015, 02:30 PM
Joel Oden

Tony_Starks
07-20-2015, 02:39 PM

Really? Both of the kids in Orlando have game, Randle is nice(although he got hurt too), McBuckets is nice, jury is still out on Vonleh but at least he's physically available. And that's besides the sleepers like Clarkson. No MJ, you're correct, but still a bunch of guys I'd rather have then a questionable Embiid.

The draft far from sucked, they just made a poor choice.

beasted86
07-20-2015, 02:51 PM
I'll pose this question for both Philly fans and outside fans.

Technically speaking the Sixers can decline his option for either the 2016/17 season or 17/18 and end this project.

Do you think they do it in either year? Or do they see their mistake thorough to the end maintaining that glimmer of hope and showing disregard since the cap is rising and they are below the salary floor?

FYI, he'll cost $4.8M and then $6.1M.

2-ONE-5
07-20-2015, 03:02 PM
fully expect to keep him to through his current deal. it doesnt hurt us at all to wait it out as long as possible jsut in case he can contribute something

Tony_Starks
07-20-2015, 03:05 PM
I'll pose this question for both Philly fans and outside fans.

Technically speaking the Sixers can decline his option for either the 2016/17 season or 17/18 and end this project.

Do you think they do it in either year? Or do they see their mistake thorough to the end maintaining that glimmer of hope and showing disregard since the cap is rising and they are below the salary floor?

FYI, he'll cost $4.8M and then $6.1M.

The fan reaction here should give you the answer.

They're going to ride this blunder out until it goes full blown Darko.

Sactown
07-20-2015, 03:13 PM

As they should , his cap hit is minor and his potential is massive even if he is unlikely to hit it ...if this dude has a 25% chance of being a good player they should keep him around... Imagine if you had a 25% chance to win the lottery and the ticket cost $5 ... You're telling me you wouldn't pay it?

RLundi
07-20-2015, 03:43 PM
christ did you just compare Noel to Bowie while calling him damaged goods? damn i knew you hated the Sixers but at least use some logic man. Also no one here is losing sleep about missing out on Grodon, Exum, Randle, etc, Embiid was 100% worth the risk and we also tanked for Wiggins not Embiid.

The Bowie reference was stupid, but equally stupid is trying to justify taking what may end up being a player that never steps foot on an NBA court over ANY player that has a chance to be productive. It's too early to say this draft sucked but regardless, in hindsight, I'd now take any player from the draft, even a second-rounder, if it meant they'd be healthy as opposed to a player who may be forced into early retirement.

No, you're not losing sleep over Gordon, Exum, Randle etc but they're doing something Embiid may never do -- play. I know it's common to justify every move your team does and lambast those who say otherwise but this Embiid selection was a poor one, and it's okay to say that in hindsight and cut your losses. Was he worth the risk at the time? Sure. But it was a risk and it has backfired immensely. Why is no Philly fan ever able to admit this?

R. Johnson#3
07-20-2015, 04:02 PM
The odds of re-breaking a bone that has already been broken are pretty high. You'd just think it wouldn't happen with a couple screws in there though.

beasted86
07-20-2015, 04:07 PM
The Bowie reference was stupid, but equally stupid is trying to justify taking what may end up being a player that never steps foot on an NBA court over ANY player that has a chance to be productive. It's too early to say this draft sucked but regardless, in hindsight, I'd now take any player from the draft, even a second-rounder, if it meant they'd be healthy as opposed to a player who may be forced into early retirement.

No, you're not losing sleep over Gordon, Exum, Randle etc but they're doing something Embiid may never do -- play. I know it's common to justify every move your team does and lambast those who say otherwise but this Embiid selection was a poor one, and it's okay to say that in hindsight and cut your losses. Was he worth the risk at the time? Sure. But it was a risk and it has backfired immensely. Why is no Philly fan ever able to admit this?
Agree here.

Sure it was a different front office, but the team and fan base JUST went thorough this with Bynum, and then you go right ahead and draft a 7 footer with a foot fracture?

This is a terrible backfire if he never plays literally one game for the team. I would put it up there as an all-time bust and F.O. muck up.

LakersIn5
07-20-2015, 04:10 PM
I feel sorry for embiid. Great talent great character but in a terrible franchise. Hope the sixers doesnt pick up his options in a couple of years and he beasts on a different team

2-ONE-5
07-20-2015, 04:29 PM

i just dont view the other players as big loss or miss and besides we just added the 8th pick from the same draft anyway so we are getting something out of that class with Stauskus. Short of probably Randle I dont see any of those players taken after Embiid making that big of an impact to become a long term piece here. Besides im not one for hindsight, we made the right pick at the time, cant help what went on to happen.

RLundi
07-20-2015, 04:43 PM
i just dont view the other players as big loss or miss and besides we just added the 8th pick from the same draft anyway so we are getting something out of that class with Stauskus. Short of probably Randle I dont see any of those players taken after Embiid making that big of an impact to become a long term piece here. Besides im not one for hindsight, we made the right pick at the time, cant help what went on to happen.

Again, why the justification? I don't understand it. The team is paying $4M for a player not doing a thing. You wouldn't rather pay any other player in the draft to actually PLAY and have the chance to contribute? Embiid is giving the team absolutely nothing. There was a need for the risk at the time, but how can you say after the fact that you still wouldn't rather have Gordon or Exum etc on the roster playing as opposed to Embiid not playing?

Anyway, I still think it's stupid to judge a draft after a year or 2. I honestly think a bunch of players from that draft are going to be stellar. Maybe Embiid will be one of them. Who knows?

5ass
07-20-2015, 04:45 PM

Its the same thought process as "oh well we have to tank HARD for 4 years or we'll be stuck in mediocrity forever". They go to extremes to try to justify their moves.

IMO though we can't say it was a mistake at the time. I'm not sure it was the right decision at the time either, but if I was GM my decision would've been heavily influenced by the medical staff.

warfelg
07-20-2015, 04:49 PM
And if Embiid does play he was considered the best player of a deep draft.

That's why none of us have a problem with it. We're in no rush to be in the playoffs. We have time to wait for him to play. The potential reward was worth the risk to us. For the teams at 1 and 2 it wasn't. Cleveland wanted out of the lotto and even if LeBron didn't come back, Wiggins was their best option. The Bucks were going Parker no matter what. So to a team that is willing to wait and take the BPA Embiid was the pick 10/10 times. You know if we don't take him, he goes 4.

JLynn943
07-20-2015, 04:51 PM
Drafting Embiid made sense. He could have could been (I guess still could be) a franchise player. When you're as talent-lacking as Philly, you don't pass that up.

Knowing what they know now, would they still take him? Not a chance. But, no one knew for sure this would happen. No point in acting otherwise. Hindsight is 20/20.

warfelg
07-20-2015, 04:52 PM
Its the same thought process as "oh well we have to tank HARD for 4 years or we'll be stuck in mediocrity forever". They go to extremes to try to justify their moves.

IMO though we can't say it was a mistake at the time. I'm not sure it was the right decision at the time either, but if I was GM my decision would've been heavily influenced by the medical staff.

TBH I still would have taken him. The payoff of a healthy Embiid is better than the payoff of the guys picked after him IMO. You ask you medical staff, "can he be healthy, can you get him on the court by the end of his rookie contract?" If the answer is yes.... I take him with the gut feeling we have a great pick the following year because it's unlikely he plays.

5ass
07-20-2015, 05:17 PM
TBH I still would have taken him. The payoff of a healthy Embiid is better than the payoff of the guys picked after him IMO. You ask you medical staff, "can he be healthy, can you get him on the court by the end of his rookie contract?" If the answer is yes.... I take him with the gut feeling we have a great pick the following year because it's unlikely he plays.

That's not the question you should be asking. the question should be about his long term health. Oden was able to play a few games and looked healthy.

2-ONE-5
07-20-2015, 06:13 PM

not going to any extremes its just how it is. Personally wanted nothing to do with guys like Exum and Gordon and still feel that way. We still got the 8th pick form this draft so its not like we got nothing out of this.

kingkenny01
07-20-2015, 06:15 PM
I don't blame the sixers for taking embiid, it was risk reward. They gambled and lost (probably). I don't blame them you win with superstars. Though it's very early, I can't say I'm really impressed with the other players from 2014 not named jabari and wiggins.

beasted86
07-20-2015, 06:32 PM
Drafting Embiid made sense. He could have could been (I guess still could be) a franchise player. When you're as talent-lacking as Philly, you don't pass that up.

Knowing what they know now, would they still take him? Not a chance. But, no one knew for sure this would happen. No point in acting otherwise. Hindsight is 20/20.

How does anyone know they didn't already know what they know now?

There is a significant amount of information about this type of injury and the chance for recurrence. Is it possible they simply ignored the signs and information?

Tony_Starks
07-20-2015, 06:41 PM

As they should , his cap hit is minor and his potential is massive even if he is unlikely to hit it ...if this dude has a 25% chance of being a good player they should keep him around... Imagine if you had a 25% chance to win the lottery and the ticket cost $5 ... You're telling me you wouldn't pay it?

You're right they have no choice at this point but to keep him in the slim chance it works, still doesn't mean it wasn't a epic screw up to begin with tho....

5ass
07-20-2015, 10:47 PM
not going to any extremes its just how it is. Personally wanted nothing to do with guys like Exum and Gordon and still feel that way. We still got the 8th pick form this draft so its not like we got nothing out of this.

Saying everyone else sucks isn't going to extremes? I'm not saying you said that, but I was referring to that post. Its your opinion if you want nothing to do with Exum and Gordon, but they could end up being very good players maybe even all stars.

What does stauskus have to do with this though? That was a seperate trade. He was drafted too early anyway. He was drafted by the Kings. They also took Jimmer over Klay Thompson, and Robinson over Lillard. Not to say Stauskus is a bust or anything, but as you can see they're no draft experts.

2-ONE-5
07-21-2015, 08:30 AM
Saying everyone else sucks isn't going to extremes? I'm not saying you said that, but I was referring to that post. Its your opinion if you want nothing to do with Exum and Gordon, but they could end up being very good players maybe even all stars.

What does stauskus have to do with this though? That was a seperate trade. He was drafted too early anyway. He was drafted by the Kings. They also took Jimmer over Klay Thompson, and Robinson over Lillard. Not to say Stauskus is a bust or anything, but as you can see they're no draft experts.

right but at least we are getting something out of that draft even if its not the potential franchise player we hoped for. Stauskis falls into that category of players i wasnt worried about missing out on but he at least has a chance to provide some much needed shooting to the team. Some of the others guys might, prob even will be decent or better players but we werent searching for that at 3 so either way we didnt land the future star we had hoped if in fact Embiid never plays.

Scoots
07-21-2015, 11:24 AM
You know your Sam Bowie point only matters if you can tell me who the Michael Jordan was. I mean that is the reason Sam Bowie is relevant. So.....waiting....

He's talking about centers with injury issues ... Bowie started 38% of the games for his career because of injury. THAT is why he's relevant. Drafting a center with injury concerns is risky and you pass on all of the other talents below to do so.

I hope Joel gets healthy, but I can see the corrolary.

Yao Ming has a great reputation, but he only played the majority of the games in 4 years of his career because of foot issues. I think Houston, given the chance to do it over, might still draft him ... then again that was a VERY weak draft.

geauxtigers1989
07-21-2015, 01:16 PM
At what point does ownership start to lose faith in the process?

warfelg
07-21-2015, 03:17 PM
At what point does ownership start to lose faith in the process?

At least the length of Hinkie and Browns contracts. Both contracts have HUGE payouts if they are fired.

I know you guys don't watch the Sixers like we fans do, but we can see it starting to happen. Individual players are improving. He's had some finds like Covington, KJ that look to be decent enough players.

WITZ
07-21-2015, 03:31 PM

There is a vid of the Kings War room from that draft and the owner was pressuring them to take him... and they did and well that turned out great :laugh2:

2-ONE-5
07-21-2015, 03:46 PM
im not the highest on Nic but i fully expect him to have a better season here then he did in Sac

CityofTreez
07-21-2015, 04:10 PM
Good luck with that!

Nik was so bad last year that he can't be any worse for you guys.

5ass
07-21-2015, 04:20 PM
There is a vid of the Kings War room from that draft and the owner was pressuring them to take him... and they did and well that turned out great :laugh2:

"Stauskus or Payton. I choose Stauskus?" lol. At least they almost got it right. Not sure wtf they were thinking when they had just drafted McLemore and needed a PG. Also passed on Mudiay for WCS. Let's see how that turns out.

Scoots
07-21-2015, 05:52 PM
At least the length of Hinkie and Browns contracts. Both contracts have HUGE payouts if they are fired.

I know you guys don't watch the Sixers like we fans do, but we can see it starting to happen. Individual players are improving. He's had some finds like Covington, KJ that look to be decent enough players.

KJ isn't on the team anymore and Covington was a Rocket first so I'm not sure he counts as a Sixers "find" ... though he played a lot more for the Sixers than he did for the Rockets.

I think everyone can see the talent on the Sixers, what we don't see so much is a team or consistency. But that will come I'm sure ... just not this season.

2-ONE-5
07-21-2015, 09:13 PM
we have more of a team then most think and for the first time in 2 years there wont be much roster turnover which will be beneficial. Covington was a Rocket for all of 7 games but we developed him last season and he made huge strides in D and ball handling to go along with his strong 3pt shooting. Between Covington, Hollis Thompson being healthy, and the addition of Nic we should be improved from deep especially with Okafor out there drawing a lot of attention.

Bruno
07-21-2015, 10:39 PM
"Stauskus or Payton. I choose Stauskus?" lol. At least they almost got it right. Not sure wtf they were thinking when they had just drafted McLemore and needed a PG. Also passed on Mudiay for WCS. Let's see how that turns out.

D'alessandro and all other GMs need to respectfully stand up against ownership who make poor personal decisions in the draft. he might lose his job, but GMs get fired and all the time and it's better to have a clean draft history on the resume for the next job.

theres no way everyone in that war room actually wanted Stauskus.

Sactown
07-21-2015, 10:50 PM
D'alessandro and all other GMs need to respectfully stand up against ownership who make poor personal decisions in the draft. he might lose his job, but GMs get fired and all the time and it's better to have a clean draft history on the resume for the next job.

Philly offered Sacramento the 10th pick and another asset to move up to select Stauskas and there was a rumor the Celts could select him at 6...

Ben Mac had a bad rookie season and there was rumors he could be moved before he showed great strides in his second season ...

Payton didn't take the league by storm his rookie season averaging 8.9/6.5 and was a terrible deep shooter which was an issue we were trying to improve . Collison is currently a better player .. I wasnt upset we selected Stauskas I just thought his game would translate better like many others did.

5ass
07-21-2015, 11:25 PM
Philly offered Sacramento the 10th pick and another asset to move up to select Stauskas and there was a rumor the Celts could select him at 6...

Ben Mac had a bad rookie season and there was rumors he could be moved before he showed great strides in his second season ...

Payton didn't take the league by storm his rookie season averaging 8.9/6.5 and was a terrible deep shooter which was an issue we were trying to improve . Collison is currently a better player .. I wasnt upset we selected Stauskas I just thought his game would translate better like many others did.

Which rookie did? He was good enough to finish all rookie first team ahead of guards picked before him in the draft.

Shooting was an issue for the Kings, but so was defense and Payton could've played with Collison since he's big and strong enough to cover a lot of SGs. It just didn't make sense to me that they basically gave up on McLemore so quickly. Even if he had a bad rookie season, you dont give up on a 19 year old that quick. They could've gotten a shooter or two in FA if they needed immediate help in that area.

5ass
07-21-2015, 11:31 PM

IMO he shouldn't even be in that room. I know its his franchise and his money, but he's not just running this team for himself. The city of Sacramento is emotionally invested in this team. They're the ones that keep that franchise going. He should not be making significant basketball decisions such as lottery draft picks. He needs to leave that to the people who he trusts knows what they're doing.

Sactown
07-22-2015, 12:33 AM
Which rookie did? He was good enough to finish all rookie first team ahead of guards picked before him in the draft.

Shooting was an issue for the Kings, but so was defense and Payton could've played with Collison since he's big and strong enough to cover a lot of SGs. It just didn't make sense to me that they basically gave up on McLemore so quickly. Even if he had a bad rookie season, you dont give up on a 19 year old that quick. They could've gotten a shooter or two in FA if they needed immediate help in that area.

Nobody took it by storm which is why I don't feel Staukas was a bad pick we needed shooting and another play maker and he brought that, Collison is a solid starting PG , we dont need as much PG help as you keep leading on. We also had Sessions last season . Reality is our starting 5 last year to start the season was more than satisfactory.

This coming from a guy wanting Smart, the position we should of been drafting for is PF/C to play along side cousins. Thompson has never been the solution which is why I love the WCS pick.

As far as Vivek playing a roll in personnel he hasn't had a say as of late. Nobody but Vlade had any idea who the team was drafting and none of them had any decision making when it came to FA other than Vlade.

5ass
07-22-2015, 01:18 AM
Nobody took it by storm which is why I don't feel Staukas was a bad pick we needed shooting and another play maker and he brought that, Collison is a solid starting PG , we dont need as much PG help as you keep leading on. We also had Sessions last season . Reality is our starting 5 last year to start the season was more than satisfactory.

This coming from a guy wanting Smart, the position we should of been drafting for is PF/C to play along side cousins. Thompson has never been the solution which is why I love the WCS pick.

As far as Vivek playing a roll in personnel he hasn't had a say as of late. Nobody but Vlade had any idea who the team was drafting and none of them had any decision making when it came to FA other than Vlade.
I mean a long term starting PG. Obviously they're not too fond of collison starting seeing as they just signed Rondo.
I hope you're right with the last paragraph. I keep thinking back to when rumors were saying Cousins wanted WCS, and I'm thinking maybe they took him to please cousins. I love WCS, but Mudiay has much higher potential. We'll see how it turns out, but its my opinion that Mudiay should've been their pick. They should've traded for Morris, drafted Mudiay, signed Biyombo and kept their future picks.

True Sports Fan
07-22-2015, 06:25 PM
It was a pretty obvious pick at the time. lol at people bashing the pick. Embiid had star potential, and you can't pass that up

Sactown
07-22-2015, 06:31 PM
I mean a long term starting PG. Obviously they're not too fond of collison starting seeing as they just signed Rondo.
I hope you're right with the last paragraph. I keep thinking back to when rumors were saying Cousins wanted WCS, and I'm thinking maybe they took him to please cousins. I love WCS, but Mudiay has much higher potential. We'll see how it turns out, but its my opinion that Mudiay should've been their pick. They should've traded for Morris, drafted Mudiay, signed Biyombo and kept their future picks.

The problem with Mudiay is he declained a visit with us and with other teams as well and thats why Divac passed on him, it isn't like he was a college player with plenty of film. the guy we wanted most was super Mario . I 'm honestly confused with the interest in Rondo, Collison performed at a high level and I don't think Rondo has much in the tank , and with the need for floor spacing I dont like him as the starter and I imagine he loses that job early .

As far as the trade with Philly, Im not super worried , we won't give them anything till 2018 which is protected (unprotected in 2019) so if we aren't competitive by 2018 there's more issues than just the pick.

We needed defense and we drafted an anchor to play next to Cousins .

2-ONE-5
07-22-2015, 06:38 PM
by the way the Sixers never made a press release stating that Embiid re-broke his bone and Scott O'Neil has said the info isnt true. The procedure seems to have to do with it never initially healing fully and no another break. Hopefully this is all true

5ass
07-22-2015, 07:25 PM
The problem with Mudiay is he declained a visit with us and with other teams as well and thats why Divac passed on him, it isn't like he was a college player with plenty of film. the guy we wanted most was super Mario . I 'm honestly confused with the interest in Rondo, Collison performed at a high level and I don't think Rondo has much in the tank , and with the need for floor spacing I dont like him as the starter and I imagine he loses that job early .

As far as the trade with Philly, Im not super worried , we won't give them anything till 2018 which is protected (unprotected in 2019) so if we aren't competitive by 2018 there's more issues than just the pick.

We needed defense and we drafted an anchor to play next to Cousins .

Plenty of draft picks decline workouts. I think Mario didn't work out for anyone because he was still playing in Europe. Its not easy, but its the GM's job to make the right decision regardless. Yes Mudiay played in China and got injured, but he played high school ball in the US. GMs make big money because they should be able to make tough decisions. They have plenty of scouts at their disposal.

Collison is what he is and is better suited as a back up. Same as he was his entire career. He just leaves you wanting more. I think the Kings realise that and were looking to upgrade, hence their interest in Lawson.

They could've gotten defense in FA/trade. In the draft, you go with the player with the highest potential, especially when he also fits a need. We'll see if they made the right choice, and we'll see if the trade with Philly ends up biting them in the ***, but to me I see a FO starting to panic.

Scoots
07-22-2015, 07:52 PM
Covington was a Rocket for all of 7 games but we developed him last season

I'm not saying Covington didn't develop, but he was a rocket for 16 months not 7 games ... he got IN to 7 games. That's like saying Ognjen Kuzmic has only been a Warrior for 37 games, but he's been on the team since 2012. He's just buried on the depth chart like Covington was with the Rockets and like Jeremy Lin was with the Warriors. It's not that the teams they were on didn't like them it's that they were too good to play them in games.

Frankly that is one of the BEST things about being a Sixers fan the last few years is that you get to see players develop. Most fans are complaining that their coach doesn't like rookies and won't play them enough.

2-ONE-5
07-22-2015, 08:09 PM
didnt Cov spend most of his time in the d league though, at least thats what i thought? still kind of the same as what you are saying though. It is cool seeing certain guys develop here in front of us, it takes some of the sting out of all the losing most nights. We had to watch Collins keep young guys burried like Turner (not sure he turns out diff) but he showed some nice flashes early but was always in the dog house for little things.

Synyster89
07-22-2015, 08:56 PM
5ass, don't you ever get tired of lurking on topics/posts about the Sixers?? Then all you do is try to turn the conversation about the Magic...it's getting a little old.

I also like how everyone was saying it is too early to say that everyone outside of the top 3 sucked last year, but it isn't to early to label Embiid a bust. He is still only 21 and has time on his side. Is there a chance he never plays or plays in a limited role? Absolutely. But there is still the immense upside that there was the day we drafted him. Like other Sixers fans have said, I would take that chance 10/10 times. Players like Gordon, Exum, Randle, etc. have a chance to be good players...Embiid has a chance to be great. Hence why we made the pick in the first place. As a small bonus, not having Embiid (or whichever player we would have taken otherwise) increases or chances at a better lottery pick for this year and put us in a position to land Okafor. We would rather have a healthy Embiid, but at least it isn't all for nothing if he never plays or lives up to his true potential.

Synyster89
07-22-2015, 08:57 PM
*double post*

5ass
07-22-2015, 09:20 PM
5ass, don't you ever get tired of lurking on topics/posts about the Sixers?? Then all you do is try to turn the conversation about the Magic...it's getting a little old.

I also like how everyone was saying it is too early to say that everyone outside of the top 3 sucked last year, but it isn't to early to label Embiid a bust. He is still only 21 and has time on his side. Is there a chance he never plays or plays in a limited role? Absolutely. But there is still the immense upside that there was the day we drafted him. Like other Sixers fans have said, I would take that chance 10/10 times. Players like Gordon, Exum, Randle, etc. have a chance to be good players...Embiid has a chance to be great. Hence why we made the pick in the first place. As a small bonus, not having Embiid (or whichever player we would have taken otherwise) increases or chances at a better lottery pick for this year and put us in a position to land Okafor. We would rather have a healthy Embiid, but at least it isn't all for nothing if he never plays or lives up to his true potential.
Yes clearly I'm obsessed with the sixers. You can clearly see that in my posts, that's why in a thread about the sixers i'm talking more about the Kings. Where am I trying to turn the conversation about the Magic?

I post about every team in the NBA. The reason you only see my posts about the sixers is because you're a fan of the team. I guess you don't like it when I speak the truth. If you think I'm wrong somewhere quote me and let me know.

Synyster89
07-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Yes clearly I'm obsessed with the sixers. You can clearly see that in my posts, that's why in a thread about the sixers i'm talking more about the Kings. Where am I trying to turn the conversation about the Magic?

I post about every team in the NBA. The reason you only see my posts about the sixers is because you're a fan of the team. I guess you don't like it when I speak the truth. If you think I'm wrong somewhere quote me and let me know.

I'm not saying you're obsessed with the Sixers, I have just noticed you in every Sixers related thread, you typically criticize us (which is fine) and always somehow bring up the Magic in some shape or form. What "truth" are you speaking?? And in previous threads I have mentioned things when we have disagreed.

5ass
07-23-2015, 03:52 PM
I'm not saying you're obsessed with the Sixers, I have just noticed you in every Sixers related thread, you typically criticize us (which is fine) and always somehow bring up the Magic in some shape or form. What "truth" are you speaking?? And in previous threads I have mentioned things when we have disagreed.

I guess everyone brought up the magic in some way shape or form when they mentioned Gordon. I also brought up the jazz when I mentioned Exum. Also brought up the blazers and warriors when I mentioned Lillard and Thompson. No?
I criticize the sixers sometimes but give credit when they get it right.

2-ONE-5
07-23-2015, 04:26 PM
true. last year you def didnt show us any love but currently he is showing some in another thread.

5ass
07-23-2015, 04:37 PM
true. last year you def didnt show us any love but currently he is showing some in another thread.

Well to be fair a lot has changed since last year for the sixers. I didn't like the way the team fit and I didn't like them drafting two injured big men because its risky. Now they've traded away MCW, and Embiid is still out, but at least theres okafor. Also a lot of people are hating on the sixers these days and I tend to defend them when that happens. Just like I became more of a fan of LeBron after leaving Cleveland because he was getting unjustified hate.