PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith signs with Clippers

leprechaun5
07-16-2015, 05:14 PM
Shams Charania ‏@ShamsCharania
Free agent Josh Smith has reached agreement with the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources tell ******.

Hawkeye15
07-16-2015, 05:16 PM
Great get for the Clips, they need depth so badly

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 05:25 PM
Great get for the Clips, they need depth so badly

Actually our bench looks pretty stacked this year now. Doc has redeemed himself. Austin Rivers, Lance Stephenson, Wes Johnson, Josh Smith and Cole Aldrich is gonna be so nice on defense/fastbreaks.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 05:26 PM
If Clippers had this bench last year, they could of won it. Last year it was Rivers, Crawford, Hedo, Baby lineups. Branden Dawson also looks like a 2nd round steal. Combine this with Blake and DJ likely improving still and this team should be much better.

IndyRealist
07-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Didn't see that coming.

leprechaun5
07-16-2015, 05:28 PM
Actually our bench looks pretty stacked this year now. Doc has redeemed himself. Austin Rivers, Lance Stephenson, Wes Johnson, Josh Smith and Cole Aldrich is gonna be so nice on defense/fastbreaks.

What happened to Jamal Crawford?

Hawkeye15
07-16-2015, 05:28 PM

Lance/Smith are good bench pieces, River/Wes suck, and Aldrich I do like.

Bottom line, it's waaaaaaaay better depth than they have had the last 2 seasons.

Hawkeye15
07-16-2015, 05:29 PM
What happened to Jamal Crawford?

he hit his allotted number of long contested 2 point attempts and was asked to leave the league

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 05:31 PM
he hit his allotted number of long contested 2 point attempts and was asked to leave the league

LMAO. I'm not including Jamal because I hope he's gone. Yes he will win you a few games in the regular season... but he absolutely KILLS the team in the playoffs by shooting 35/25 type numbers from field and 3. I pray he's not on the team by season start.

flea
07-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Nice pickup. He's nearing the end of his career but he's finally in situations where his skillset can be utilized. I admit I don't like his game and I think he's a low IQ player, but for a team that needed depth and couldn't pay for it he's a good get. He's perfectly useful as the 5th or 6th best player on a team (as we saw with the Rockets) where he can use his versatility in a bench role.

Still think the Clips are going to miss Barnes, if only because they'll need a new whipping boy. If Josh Smith is their only defense-oriented forward in the rotation, well that's a downgrade from Barnes. Offense was never really the problem for the Clips - but defense was and I'm not sure whether they've upgraded that end of the floor at all or not. At least they've got better depth, though, and I'd still probably grade their offseason a net positive after getting DJ back.

sacgiants1213
07-16-2015, 05:34 PM
If Kings signed Smith: "Oh my god, what a dumb move.. LOL Kings are dumb."

Clippers sign Smith: "Great move, great value, will provide a lot of depth for their bench"

Phenom1
07-16-2015, 05:41 PM
If the Rockets didnt resign him after playing well for them, then it means they didnt think much of him. I dont think this is a good pick up. I like the Pierce and resigning Deandre though

deaner
07-16-2015, 05:42 PM
Callie Rivers must be exhausted.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 05:42 PM

Clippers sign Smith: "Great move, great value, will provide a lot of depth for their bench"

Karl vs Doc. Karl and Smith would kill each other. Then you throw in Rondo and Cousins, known locker room cancers.

IndyRealist
07-16-2015, 05:43 PM

Yup, because on the Clips he's a minimal cost role player. On the Kings he's an overpaid starter.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 05:45 PM
Nice pickup. He's nearing the end of his career but he's finally in situations where his skillset can be utilized. I admit I don't like his game and I think he's a low IQ player, but for a team that needed depth and couldn't pay for it he's a good get. He's perfectly useful as the 5th or 6th best player on a team (as we saw with the Rockets) where he can use his versatility in a bench role.

Still think the Clips are going to miss Barnes, if only because they'll need a new whipping boy. If Josh Smith is their only defense-oriented forward in the rotation, well that's a downgrade from Barnes. Offense was never really the problem for the Clips - but defense was and I'm not sure whether they've upgraded that end of the floor at all or not. At least they've got better depth, though, and I'd still probably grade their offseason a net positive after getting DJ back.

Wth? Smith, Johnson, Aldrich, Stephenson, Dawson are HUGE defensive upgrades over the likes of Hedo, Baby etc. Also Barnes defense has become really overrated. He's a plus defender, but only barely. Overall the team is way deeper, better on defense.

IndyRealist
07-16-2015, 05:45 PM
Callie Rivers must be exhausted.

Taking one for the team.

flea
07-16-2015, 05:49 PM
You're the guy that thought Javale McGee would replace Deandre Jordan's impact. I'm not hearing what you're selling on Wes Johnson's and Lance Stephen's defense. They are athletes and not net negatives but not stoppers in the least. Anyway, probably only 2 of those guys are going to get anything more than token minutes in the playoffs - which is all that matters. Smith/Lance going to be much better defensively than Davis/Barnes? I doubt it - offensively there is promise though.

jerellh528
07-16-2015, 05:50 PM
Taking one for the team.
Taking the team for the team.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 05:51 PM
Smith turned down twice as big of a offer from Houston.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 05:56 PM
You're the guy that thought Javale McGee would replace Deandre Jordan's impact. I'm not hearing what you're selling on Wes Johnson's and Lance Stephen's defense. They are athletes and not net negatives but not stoppers in the least. Anyway, probably only 2 of those guys are going to get anything more than token minutes in the playoffs - which is all that matters. Smith/Lance going to be much better defensively than Davis/Barnes? I doubt it - offensively there is promise though.

What? I never said that, don't strawman me. Post the quote or stop making accusations. I spoke in hypotheticals. I said IF McGee can give even 60 percent of what DJ did and we got other pieces, we'd be fine. If you don't see that they have upgraded substantially this summer on your own, i can't convince you. Clippers bench last season was HISTORICALLY bad on both ends.

It's not so much that these guys are amazing, it's how much of an upgrade they are over LAST season.

BKLYNpigeon
07-16-2015, 05:57 PM
Great pick up for the Clippers.

I still think Warriors wins the Pacific Division.

deaner
07-16-2015, 06:03 PM

pretty boy chandler parson gotta work on his recruiting skilz

Htownballa1622
07-16-2015, 06:05 PM
Going to be sad seeing him go but farewell.

His highs are awesome. But his lows are low. Be prepared.

We don't get as far as we did last year without him but hoping we still upgrade the pg position.

Then kd next year. :smoking:

FraziersKnicks
07-16-2015, 06:05 PM
Clips looking deep now:

PG: Chris Paul/Austin Rivers
SG: JJ Redick/Lance Stephenson
SF: Paul Pierce/Wesley Johnson
PF: Blake Griffin/Josh Smith
C: DeAndre Jordan/Cole Aldrich

LAKERS4LIFE!!
07-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Every year Clippers have the talent to win it all but then they somehow lose/choke in the playoffs so it's hard to consider them in the top tier of title contenders.

Nice pick-up for them though.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Clips looking deep now:

PG: Chris Paul/Austin Rivers
SG: JJ Redick/Lance Stephenson
SF: Paul Pierce/Wesley Johnson
PF: Blake Griffin/Josh Smith
C: DeAndre Jordan/Cole Aldrich

Don't forget my new guy Dawsen. Averaged about 12/11 in summer league, can guard pretty much every position. I'm thinking he's gonna kill it on defense if Doc will actually play him.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 06:12 PM
Man this team is gonna be must see. Potential to be insanely good, also potential to implode with so many egos. Smith, Pierce, CP3, Lance, DJ lol

Silent
07-16-2015, 06:13 PM
this is still a one and done team

DillyDill
07-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Can't even lie Clipps looking awfully deep, plus Craw as trade chip mannnn

deaner
07-16-2015, 06:14 PM
Man this team is gonna be must see. Potential to be insanely good, also potential to implode with so many egos. Smith, Pierce, CP3, Lance, DJ lol

meh...Doc travels his son to keep the family tradition alive and well.

TrueFan420
07-16-2015, 06:26 PM

We saw how that ended the pacers chances as a title threat wonder what will happen in Lalaland

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 06:27 PM
Wow. Josh Smith turned down 72/4 from Kings supposedly. If true that's insane! Rondo/Smith/Cousins and Karl would of been hilarious.

Dade County
07-16-2015, 06:42 PM

So true...

Well.

I like this signing for the Clips, Smith should focus on just playing defense & grabbing rebounds. Also I can see him connecting well with Cp3 on the pick & roll.

Chronz
07-16-2015, 06:48 PM
Why couldn't he have joined us last year. Dude absolutely torched Blake those final games

Saddletramp
07-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Not sure why he'd pick the Clippers for less money than what the Rocketscwere offering and that insane deal from the Kings. Then again, whenever a billionaire buys a team guys immediately do this sort of thing.

Figured he wanted to get paid next year but if that Kings offer is true, what a freaking idiot.

PowerHouse
07-16-2015, 07:06 PM
Why couldn't he have joined us last year. Dude absolutely torched Blake those final games

Im guessing this is supposed to be a joke^?

game 5: Blake - 30pts 16 reb .571 fg%
Smith - 9 pts 7 reb .571 fg%

game 6: Blake - 28 pts 8 reb .600 fg%
Smith - 19 pts 6 reb .556 fg%

game 7: Blake - 27 pts 11 reb .565 fg%
Smith - 15 pts 1 reb .600 fg%

sacgiants1213
07-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Wow. Josh Smith turned down 72/4 from Kings supposedly. If true that's insane! Rondo/Smith/Cousins and Karl would of been hilarious.

No he didn't. Kings could only offer like 3M at most.

SF8
07-16-2015, 07:15 PM
Clippers continue to find ways to be even more unlikable.

SF8
07-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Sources reporting that Josh Smith was on the fence between Houston and LAC but Doc send his daughter to Smith's house to seal the deal.

PowerHouse
07-16-2015, 07:29 PM
Sources reporting that Josh Smith was on the fence between Houston and LAC but Doc send his daughter to Smith's house to seal the deal.

Big pimpin'

Scoots
07-16-2015, 07:35 PM
Josh Smith is the only defensive big on the team and his D has fallen off a cliff the last few years. Still he's better than the Clippers had before.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 07:36 PM

Sources: SF8 is going to continue to cry about everything the Clippers do.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 07:40 PM
Josh Smith is the only defensive big on the team and his D has fallen off a cliff the last few years. Still he's better than the Clippers had before.

No it hasn't.

"On the defensive end, Smith can be just as ferocious. He held opponents to just 46.2 percent finishing at the rim while in Houston, and even put on a stellar performance from further out. When defending players from within six feet, Smith limited them to a field goal percentage of -9.4 less than their season average. And when edging out to within 10 feet, Smith forced opponents to shoot -8.6 percent worse than their season average.

Add on his 1.7 blocks and 1.3 steals per 36 minutes, and itís clear Smith can be a defensive factor all over the floor.

With the Rockets, Smith raised their offensive rating by 3.3 when he was in the game, whilst also lowering the offensive rating of their opponents by an average of 3.3. As a result, the Rocketsí net rating without Smith (+1.2) increased to +7.8 with him on the floor."

http://clipperholics.com/2015/07/13/who-should-the-clippers-sign-josh-smith-vs-darrell-arthur/

GoferKing_
07-16-2015, 07:41 PM

Good joke.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Good joke.

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 2h2 hours ago Paradise, NV
Sources: Kings offered Josh Smith a 4 year, 72 million dollar deal. He turned it down for 12 dollars and a hamster from the Clippers.

I guess this was the source of it lol. I just got a bunch of retweets about the supposed offer from people I follow.

EDUTEXANS
07-16-2015, 07:57 PM
I keep hearing the Clippers offered him a bigger role and more playing time. Does that mean we'll get to see Josh Smith playing SF again?

colinskik
07-16-2015, 08:00 PM
If the Rockets didnt resign him after playing well for them, then it means they didnt think much of him. I dont think this is a good pick up. I like the Pierce and resigning Deandre though

Yup, this has been my take on him as well, and it pretty much validates my belief that he's no good despite some of the numbers he sometimes puts up.

HOU was the perfect situation for him alongside his pal Dwight. He had some good playoff games there and he still wasn't brought back. The bad definitely outweighs the good when it comes to josh Smith.

EDUTEXANS
07-16-2015, 08:12 PM

There's more to it, to be fair. We did offer him the non-Bird tender, worth roughly $2.5M over one year. But we could also offer him the full MLE, but that would mean losing KJ McDaniels, and knowing Morey, he just loves the flexibility of having a young talent signed to a good bargain deal. You can always find veterans that contribute during the season, and he did get Smith and Brewer for nothing last season, but McDaniels was a freaking steal.

He took less money (not much, though) to play in LA. Who knows why. I don't see the bigger role and playing time they are talking about.

BIG worm
07-16-2015, 08:43 PM
There's more to it, to be fair. We did offer him the non-Bird tender, worth roughly $2.5M over one year. But we could also offer him the full MLE, but that would mean losing KJ McDaniels, and knowing Morey, he just loves the flexibility of having a young talent signed to a good bargain deal. You can always find veterans that contribute during the season, and he did get Smith and Brewer for nothing last season, but McDaniels was a freaking steal.

He took less money (not much, though) to play in LA. Who knows why. I don't see the bigger role and playing time they are talking about.. LA women > Houston women....only thing that makes sense.

CityofTreez
07-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Good joke.

The Clippers may well be a bigger circus than us Gofer.

Paul, Jordan, Griffin, Stephensen, and Doc.
Happy we didn't give him that joke of a contract if true.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 09:00 PM
The Clippers may well be a bigger circus than us Gofer.

Paul, Jordan, Griffin, Stephensen, and Doc.
Happy we didn't give him that joke of a contract if true.

Griffin is a great locker room guy. I'd replace him with someone else like Wes Johnson or something. Or Pierce, who is a demanding leader like Paul. Griffin is more the guy on the team who leads by example and gets along well with everyone.

moshy2
07-16-2015, 09:16 PM
I'd be excited for the Clippers if this was 5 years ago

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 09:27 PM
I'd be excited for the Clippers if this was 5 years ago

No, you'd be excited now if you got him for minimum. What's the risk? He's not a star anymore... but as a minimum role player he's still significantly better than most. I don't get how people can say 35 year old David West was such a huge signing, then disregard this one. Now... West is the better, more consistent player, but not by a ton. Smith is still a great signing for a minimum contract at 30 or 31 years old. He was huge vs Dallas and LAC in the playoffs.

LA_Raiders
07-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Clips are stacked. It will be a hell of a playoffs

GS, Clips, SA, OKC, Meph, Hou. Dang...

The easy is a joke

CousinsEvansDUO
07-16-2015, 09:43 PM
Karl vs Doc. Karl and Smith would kill each other. Then you throw in Rondo and Cousins, known locker room cancers.

Hahahaha! You're a complete joke, friend.

Cousins the past 2 seasons has been the opposite of cancer, one of the most mature players on the roster and a top 5 MVP. Karl is an expert on dealing with all types of personalities and quite frankly has proven more and Accomplished more in this league than doc who's way over his head, just because he was gifted a HOF roster in 2008 doesn't make him better than Karl one of the most revolutionary coaches in the history of the league. Clippers are finished this season with or without dj. With or without the johns sweeping then. Oh by the way Big cuz, aka mr. 30-15-5-2-2-2 is BETTER THAN CP3 and griffin! 😱that's right kiddo now get off your high horse and stop pretending that rondo wasn't a better than cp3 at one point in another and is take a triple double stuf in rondo than a weak minded psychopath Chris Paul that can't even get along with his center in deandre Jordan (it's reported he would scream at him and disrespect him and not give him high 5s) WHILE COUSINS AND RONDO ARE TAKIG SELFIES TOGETHER, that's right what ya gonna say now that the KINGS RULE AGAIN.

moshy2
07-16-2015, 09:46 PM
No, you'd be excited now if you got him for minimum. What's the risk? He's not a star anymore... but as a minimum role player he's still significantly better than most.

What's the risk? He's a known head case who took less money because he was told he'd have a larger more defined role along with possibly being closer to a title. So if he struggles and you have to bench him will the head case come out? Is Doc just going to let him shoot as much as he pleases? That doesn't seem likely. He wanted to be in Houston because they encouraged him to shoot a bunch, it fit their offense. It doesn't fit yours just like it didn't fit the Pistons. It's a low risk-low reward move. He'll have a minimum role and a minimum impact. If he's expected to be a consistent contributor then you'll be very disappointed

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 09:52 PM
What's the risk? He's a known head case who took less money because he was told he'd have a larger more defined role along with possibly being closer to a title. So if he struggles and you have to bench him will the head case come out? Is Doc just going to let him shoot as much as he pleases? That doesn't seem likely. He wanted to be in Houston because they encouraged him to shoot a bunch, it fit their offense. It doesn't fit yours just like it didn't fit the Pistons. It's a low risk-low reward move. He'll have a minimum role and a minimum impact. If he's expected to be a consistent contributor then you'll be very disappointed

Actually he didn't. The way it works out for him is exactly the same because Detroit has to make up the difference. He's making basically about 7-8 mill a year this year, due to how Detroit stretched his buyout. Low risk low reward lol? This is a guy who's just starting to decline as is one of the most versatile players in the game. Clippers are the 3rd year running top offense in the NBA. They didn't sign him for his offense. They signed him for his defense, rebounding and passing. Jamal Crawford is likely gone, so he can be the new bad shot guy and the Clippers can live with that if he does the other things.

Bottom line is, nobody with basketball savvy/sense calls this a bad signing for the price. Whether or not he's got a bad shot selection or he's a bad shooter, he's still a plus player and well above average defender.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Dupe.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 09:58 PM
I'll just re-post this for you Moshy.

"On the defensive end, Smith can be just as ferocious. He held opponents to just 46.2 percent finishing at the rim while in Houston, and even put on a stellar performance from further out. When defending players from within six feet, Smith limited them to a field goal percentage of -9.4 less than their season average. And when edging out to within 10 feet, Smith forced opponents to shoot -8.6 percent worse than their season average.

Add on his 1.7 blocks and 1.3 steals per 36 minutes, and itís clear Smith can be a defensive factor all over the floor.

With the Rockets, Smith raised their offensive rating by 3.3 when he was in the game, whilst also lowering the offensive rating of their opponents by an average of 3.3. As a result, the Rocketsí net rating without Smith (+1.2) increased to +7.8 with him on the floor."

EDUTEXANS
07-16-2015, 10:15 PM
I'll just re-post this for you Moshy.

Yet he had a horrible 97 ORtg and a -1.2 OBPM in Houston (90 and -2.4 with Detroit, which is pathetic). Offensively, he's a below average player at this point of his career. He's better defensively, which is probably a bigger deal for the Clippers. He even handled playing the 5 well.

You just can't use team OffRtg to judge an individual player. It means nothing without taking things like rotation into consideration. It's one thing to do it with a player like Harden, it's another with a backup player.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 10:17 PM
Yet he had a horrible 97 ORtg and a -1.2 OBPM in Houston (90 and -2.4 with Detroit, which is pathetic). Offensively, he's a below average player at this point of his career. He's better defensively, which is probably a bigger deal for the Clippers. He even handled playing the 5 well.

You just can't use team OffRtg to judge an individual player. It means nothing without taking things like rotation into consideration. It's one thing to do it with a player like Harden, it's another with a backup player.

I already said as much. Nobody is expecting him to do much offensively. What the Clippers signed him for was defense, rebounding and playmaking. It's not even that he's great. It's that he's WAY better than guys like Hedo/Hawes and for minimum.

Sactown
07-16-2015, 10:20 PM
I already said as much. Nobody is expecting him to do much offensively. What the Clippers signed him for was defense, rebounding and playmaking. It's not even that he's great. It's that he's WAY better than guys like Hedo/Hawes and for minimum.

Check Carmichael Dave's latest tweet

JasonJohnHorn
07-16-2015, 10:23 PM
Are they getting Hawks-Smith, or Pistons-Smith?

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 10:23 PM
Check Carmichael Dave's latest tweet

Not sure why he's putting me on blast. I didn't say that, just posted what I read is all. But I admit it's funny that I was that naive at first :p

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 10:30 PM
Go figure.. one of the few times I don't dig deeper on the sources and I look so damn dumb for that hahaha.

Htownballa1622
07-16-2015, 10:44 PM
Lmao.

Sactown
07-16-2015, 10:49 PM
Not sure why he's putting me on blast. I didn't say that, just posted what I read is all. But I admit it's funny that I was that naive at first :p
Not going to even lie I'm the one who showed him haahhaha

moshy2
07-16-2015, 11:16 PM
Actually he didn't. The way it works out for him is exactly the same because Detroit has to make up the difference. He's making basically about 7-8 mill a year this year, due to how Detroit stretched his buyout. Low risk low reward lol? This is a guy who's just starting to decline as is one of the most versatile players in the game. Clippers are the 3rd year running top offense in the NBA. They didn't sign him for his offense. They signed him for his defense, rebounding and passing. Jamal Crawford is likely gone, so he can be the new bad shot guy and the Clippers can live with that if he does the other things.

Bottom line is, nobody with basketball savvy/sense calls this a bad signing for the price. Whether or not he's got a bad shot selection or he's a bad shooter, he's still a plus player and well above average defender.

Just starting? Guy has been declining for a couple years. He's not the athlete he used to be and that was most of his game. That's why he takes bad shots now. Didn't know having a designated bad shot guy was a positive for a team. I'd prefer to have all my players take good shots but that's just me. I never said it was a bad signing, you're so overly defensive. It was a blah signing. He'll have his moments. He'll also piss everyone off many times. His negatives always bring down his positives so much. Clippers aren't that much better today than they were yesterday, bottom line. Never said it was this terrible signing that they'll regret forever

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 11:22 PM
Not going to even lie I'm the one who showed him haahhaha

:( son of a.... hahaha oh well, all in good fun.

IversonIsKrazy
07-16-2015, 11:23 PM
This came out of nowhere. And Josh Smith is big enough that there should've been news about his FAgency I feel. Nonetheless, a great low-risk high-reward pickup for Clips, vet min is absolutely nothing for him. Clips look deep now, interested to see how Smith and Stephenson play tho lol.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2015, 11:26 PM
Just starting? Guy has been declining for a couple years. He's not the athlete he used to be and that was most of his game. That's why he takes bad shots now. Didn't know having a designated bad shot guy was a positive for a team. I'd prefer to have all my players take good shots but that's just me. I never said it was a bad signing, you're so overly defensive. It was a blah signing. He'll have his moments. He'll also piss everyone off many times. His negatives always bring down his positives so much. Clippers aren't that much better today than they were yesterday, bottom line. Never said it was this terrible signing that they'll regret forever

I'm not trying to be defensive just saying you're clearly wrong and in the minority to think that this is "low reward" or "blah". For more than minimum I'd agree, but not at this price.

His athleticism seemed just fine to me last season. His negatives surely don't outweigh his positives if he's not expected to carry a big load.

Sactown
07-16-2015, 11:52 PM
:( son of a.... hahaha oh well, all in good fun.

Haha it was all in good fun, but now you know my real name

GunFactor187
07-17-2015, 12:03 AM
As a Pistons fan, I only wanna know how much he signed for, lol.

Cracka2HI!
07-17-2015, 12:20 AM
I love this signing! Smoove was my favorite non-Clipper player for a while back in the day. My first mock offseason I traded Channing Frye for him lol. The Clippers are really deep. I love Stephenson, Smoove and Rivers as the bench guys. I think those guys will play big minutes. After those 3 I think you'll see some of Johnson, Aldrich, Jamal and I think Baby may be back. I don't see anyone but the top 8 playing more major minutes. I think the DC looks more like this;

C: Jordan/Smith/Aldrich
PF: Griffin/Smith/Pierce
SF: Pierce/Stephenson/Johnson
SG: Reddick/Stephenson/Crawford
PG: Paul/Rivers/Crawford

I see no reason to trade Jamal. He's a perfect 11th man. Bring him in when everyone else is cold and see if he can do anything. If not put him back on the bench. He can't make it through a whole season anymore which is the main reason he's been bad in the playoffs imo. I don't know why he is now looked at as a bad player. Did he have a bad playoffs? Hell yes. Was he terrible before he got hurt? Hell no! Maybe a limited role during the regular season will lead to a productive playoffs.

moshy2
07-17-2015, 12:31 AM
I'm not trying to be defensive just saying you're clearly wrong and in the minority to think that this is "low reward" or "blah". For more than minimum I'd agree, but not at this price.

His athleticism seemed just fine to me last season. His negatives surely don't outweigh his positives if he's not expected to carry a big load.

I don't see many people getting that carried away with it. You're getting very defensive. I stated that he's nowhere near the player he was 5 years ago and you took it personally. He's a bench player. He's some depth. He's not your missing piece and won't become it. Sorry if that offends you

JAZZNC
07-17-2015, 12:45 AM
That might be the most hilarious post I've read on here in a long time!

c.c.
07-17-2015, 12:52 AM
I thought the old saying was "can't beat them, join them"

Clippersfan86
07-17-2015, 01:07 AM
I don't see many people getting that carried away with it. You're getting very defensive. I stated that he's nowhere near the player he was 5 years ago and you took it personally. He's a bench player. He's some depth. He's not your missing piece and won't become it. Sorry if that offends you

Agreed, he's not THE missing piece, just one of a few we got who make the team far deeper and more versatile.

Cracka2HI!
07-17-2015, 01:14 AM
I thought the old saying was "can't beat them, join them"

It's a puzzling move for sure. It seems he took less money and a lesser role for the team he helped knock out of the playoffs in one of his last good earning years. I really hope he wasn't signed to start at SF.

Ariza's Better
07-17-2015, 02:14 AM
It's a puzzling move for sure. It seems he took less money and a lesser role for the team he helped knock out of the playoffs in one of his last good earning years. I really hope he wasn't signed to start at SF.
That's the only reason why I see him signing with clippers, that or he wanted to live in LA. If the clippers do plan to start him at SF, that will be a big mistake. But if he is gonna be a role player off the bench, it's a solid pick up for the clips.

Tony_Starks
07-17-2015, 09:06 AM
The Clipps are most def a contender with this roster. The collapse this year will be much more heartbreaking.....

Clippersfan86
07-17-2015, 09:13 AM
That's the only reason why I see him signing with clippers, that or he wanted to live in LA. If the clippers do plan to start him at SF, that will be a big mistake. But if he is gonna be a role player off the bench, it's a solid pick up for the clips.

They won't start him at SF. It's going to be Pierce for 20-25 MPG, then Lance/Smith will be the primary backups, along with Wes some.

Clippersfan86
07-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Last year we had Spencer Hawes who averaged 6/5 as our primary backup big. Now we have Josh Smith who put up 12/6/3 off the bench. I'm really stoked about this. I know he's going to frustrate me at times like Crawford does, but luckily he at least plays really good defense to offset a lot of those annoyances. The problem with Crawford is... he will chuck you out of a game AND get burned on defense every single fu**ing time. Crawford was the 3rd worst defender in the NBA this year statistically.

Jamiecballer
07-17-2015, 09:35 AM
sweet. i love this move for the other 29 teams.

Tony_Starks
07-17-2015, 09:41 AM
surprised Smith didn't go to Cleveland for a free pass to the Finals but I guess he doesn't have the Lebron gene.....

Clippersfan86
07-17-2015, 09:47 AM
Sucks to be a fan in the west. If the Clippers were in the east, I'd pick them to challenge Cavs for the finals, no question. Anyone else think some teams should be moved? Memphis is on the east coast practically. Far more on the east side than west, so why is it a WC team? I think even swapping one contender like Memphis to the other conference would be huge in thinning out the clutter. Maybe the Pelicans too.

Something has to be done. Can't have 6 contenders in the west and 1 legit contender for the title in the east for multiple years in a row.

Tony_Starks
07-17-2015, 09:48 AM
sweet. i love this move for the other 29 teams.

I'm guessing you missed Houstons play when he they picked him up? And the playoffs?

beasted86
07-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Okay pickup. Upgrade over Davis, surely.

Okay in a limited defensive role, still erratic offensively. For the minimum or close, can't complain.

NYCkid12
07-17-2015, 10:49 AM
Sucks to be a fan in the west. If the Clippers were in the east, I'd pick them to challenge Cavs for the finals, no question. Anyone else think some teams should be moved? Memphis is on the east coast practically. Far more on the east side than west, so why is it a WC team? I think even swapping one contender like Memphis to the other conference would be huge in thinning out the clutter. Maybe the Pelicans too.

Something has to be done. Can't have 6 contenders in the west and 1 legit contender for the title in the east for multiple years in a row.

WHo do you move to the West to replace Memphis?

True Sports Fan
07-17-2015, 10:50 AM

The most cap we had when pursuing Smith was literally like 3M.... lol.

EDUTEXANS
07-17-2015, 11:54 AM
Okay pickup. Upgrade over Davis, surely.

Okay in a limited defensive role, still erratic offensively. For the minimum or close, can't complain.

If it's a 1-year, veterean minimum deal, the league will even pay 1/3 of his salary, and it will only count $947,276 in the team salary.

Pretty good deal. He turned down $1M (plus taxes) more from the Rockets.

MonroeFAN
07-17-2015, 12:02 PM
As a piston fan, I'll never forgive Smith for being a turd. But it's not his fault we over paid him. He's still got a lot of juice left. He was really impressive for the rockets last year, and probably was one of the reasons they were able to go as far as they did. (Harden helped im sure, but smith was a difference maker).

BKLYNpigeon
07-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Everything looks good on Paper for the Clippers. Im just not too sure about the Chemistry and how it all fits together.

nickdymez
07-17-2015, 12:52 PM
Nobody wants to play with Dwight

Hawkeye15
07-17-2015, 01:00 PM

weren't he and Smith great friends too?

phantasyyy
07-17-2015, 01:07 PM
Its crazy how much people are trashing this signing..? He wasn't signed to be a big piece as in making the big 3 a big 4. He was signed for the MINIMUM people.. He still has great defensive instincts and he also gives them another playmaking forward for them to push their offense through.

Its like everybody forgot his performance in the playoffs last year and how he willed the Rox back against the Clippers. Dudes joining the team to bolster their second unit, and at best will be the like the 5/6th offensive option behind Paul, BG, Pierce, Reddick and even DeAndre.

All I can say is the hate for the Clippers is real on these boards lmao, sure they're perennial chokers, but a starting line up featuring:

Paul/Reddick/Pierce/BG/Deandre is as good as any.. with their primary backups being Stephenson, Smith, Aldrich and Rivers being the defensive backbone they were missing last year.

Rightfully so, the Clippers still are a tier below the Warriors and Spurs, but its not due to talent I can tell you that. It would be because of the Curse that has been placed on that franchise and their inability to actually win when it counts.

To be honest, the collapse last year + CP3's inability to get out of the second round + Pauls last hurrah in his hometown + DeAndre wanting to prove he made the right decision + Stephenson and Smith's chance to redeem their value... I just don't see how they cant be a contender next year.

Clippersfan86
07-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Everything looks good on Paper for the Clippers. Im just not too sure about the Chemistry and how it all fits together.

Yup. The range of how it can go is immense. If Lance/Smith click and perform really well its a potential championship. If these knuckleheads act up and implode the chemistry, they can be out in round 1. Also Jamal Crawford is going to be a team cancer for sure if he's on team IMO. Read his Twitter. Today he said he wishes he was a free agent.

Clippersfan86
07-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Phantasy great post. My only disagreement is with the "choker" label. They have never lost to a lower seed in the playoffs. The Rockets were the first team the Clippers were heavily favored to beat and no question, they choked that one in historically bad fashion. But in prior years they lost to the Grizzlies who also won 56 games and we're favored by many, OKC who was higher seed and favored and the Spurs who were picked to win it all and had won 19 straight, into the playoffs.

Saddletramp
07-17-2015, 01:30 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I wanted him back on the Rockets. Houston is pretty thick up front but I'd rather have had them trade Terrence Jones in a trade for a PG and use Smith as the backup PF.

Think I'm more, ummmm, perturbed though that he went to bolster a conference rival that already had some upgrades. It would have stung a bit less if he went to New York or Atlanta or somewhere out East.

He's not perfect and between his shot selection (which wasn't as bad as I'd heard) and his temper (he got tossed a time or two) he will definitely tick you off occasionally but for the vet minimum/backup role, he's a solid get and anyone saying differently is just trolling.

One thing, though. The Rockets had him take 2 or 3 hundred 3's a day and taught him the analytics of staying away from long twos, which he slowed down on. I'm wondering, after hearing how DJ is loathe to practice his free throws, if the Clippers have any kind of grind in place like that. I know Paul and especially Griffin are always working to get better but I'm not sure if Doc is tough with forced practice on a players weak points or not. Oh, and while DJ makes Smith look like Reggie Miller from the line, he's still pretty awful.

Injuries and hissy fits aside, I think the Clippers have vaulted up to the SAS/OKC/GS tier and I think the DJ thing just strengthened their core even more.

Htownballa1622
07-17-2015, 01:31 PM

Hmm. Must have picked up the trait from that washed guy in L.A.

JROX213*323*310
07-17-2015, 01:44 PM

Too bad he didn't pick up the how to win championships trait from him too...

MonroeFAN
07-17-2015, 02:31 PM
J roc baby

Tony_Starks
07-17-2015, 02:46 PM

check and mate.

Htownballa1622
07-17-2015, 02:50 PM

Lol. As if that's something you "pick up."

Btw I'm honored that I got a response on 1 out of 11 of your posts since you joined in 2009.

Dupe?

check and mate.

ringggzzzzzz bruhhhh

JROX213*323*310
07-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Lol. As if that's something you "pick up."

Btw I'm honored that I got a response on 1 out of 11 of your posts since you joined in 2009.

Dupe?

ringggzzzzzz bruhhhh

You can certainly pick up winning traits from proven winners if you allow yourself to listen and learn. Something Howard clearly wasn't prepared for.

I typically enjoy sports banter from afar but every now and then I see an opportunity to respond to an idiotic post. You're welcome.

Htownballa1622
07-17-2015, 03:15 PM
You can certainly pick up winning traits from proven winners if you allow yourself to listen and learn. Something Howard clearly wasn't prepared for.

I typically enjoy sports banter from afar but every now and then I see an opportunity to respond to an idiotic post. You're welcome.

And Howard has won in this league. He just hasn't won the entire thing. Not everyone does. Some aren't fortunate to have a top 10 player of all time for a teammate or to have a stacked roster. 95% of the league doesn't win yearly. Guess those players aren't "winners."

If you think Howard isn't a winner because he hasn't won it all despite being a top player in the past then maybe you shouldn't respond much. It's funny that you chose MY "idiotic" post yet you fail to see the FIRST post I was responding to.

Doesn't have much to do with you being an unbiased Laker fan does it?

Anyway, I won't get too far off subject again. :dance2:

Scoots
07-17-2015, 03:30 PM
And Howard has won in this league. He just hasn't won the entire thing. Not everyone does. Some aren't fortunate to have a top 10 player of all time for a teammate or to have a stacked roster. 95% of the league doesn't win yearly. Guess those players aren't "winners."

If you think Howard isn't a winner because he hasn't won it all despite being a top player in the past then maybe you shouldn't respond much. It's funny that you chose MY "idiotic" post yet you fail to see the FIRST post I was responding to.

I think Howard gets flack because of Howard more than anything else. Howard's attitude on the floor, the stories that have come out about him in practice, the opinions of some outspoken former teammates, his wishy washy contract decisions, the many women, the many children. And he topped it all of with proclaiming himself a champion ... something the self proclaimed "best player in the world" wouldn't do.

Htownballa1622
07-17-2015, 03:33 PM
I think Howard gets flack because of Howard more than anything else.

Agreed.

8kobe24
07-17-2015, 04:02 PM

Howard is a winner...8 baby momma's, big house, cars, money...that's a winner right there.

JROX213*323*310
07-17-2015, 04:15 PM

I agree that in the grand scheme of things, all NBA players are winners in that they have physical gifts that allows them to play basketball for a living and provide a nice financial foundation for themselves and their family/friends. But don't kid yourself into thinking that winning a championship isn't the ultimate goal. That's the whole point in any professional league - trying to prove that not only are you a world class athlete but that you can help a team beat another team full of world class athletes on the ultimate stage. So in that regard, Howard is most definitely not a winner.

Do you need fortune/luck to win? Sure, that's part of it. But however that fortune presents itself, whether it's because you have a top ten talent all time on your team (btw in Kobe's case, how many championships had his "top ten" teammates won before winning their first 'ship with Kobe? Hint-the answer is in the question), or you don't face the most dangerous teams on the way to the championship because of health/seeding, or you have an easy path to the finals because the conference your team is in is completely devoid of competition, you still need to go out and win. That's what separates the Kobe's from the Howard's of the world.

Jarvo
07-17-2015, 05:08 PM
Ehhh

goingfor28
07-17-2015, 05:27 PM
This

2-ONE-5
07-17-2015, 08:28 PM

Wes and Cole stink

Clippersfan86
07-17-2015, 09:05 PM
Wes and Cole stink

They aren't good players, but they also aren't bad ones. As 2nd or 3rd string guys they are "solid".

Tony_Starks
07-17-2015, 10:15 PM

Howard is a winner...8 baby momma's, big house, cars, money...that's a winner right there.

Winning like Charlie Sheen all day!!!!

Vinylman
07-18-2015, 12:13 PM
What is gonna be funny is when D12 opts out after this season and the circus begins... i could see him leaving if they get bounced in the first round...

what do the Rocket guys think the chances of him leaving are?

Clippersfan86
07-18-2015, 12:27 PM
What is gonna be funny is when D12 opts out after this season and the circus begins... i could see him leaving if they get bounced in the first round...

I think I'm dreaming. You came into a Clippers thread and didn't rip them. I was literally coming in here to say "SF8 and Vinyl making their appearances to piss on the Clippers, now a Clippers thread is complete".

Vinylman
07-18-2015, 12:43 PM
I think I'm dreaming. You came into a Clippers thread and didn't rip them. I was literally coming in here to say "SF8 and Vinyl making their appearances to piss on the Clippers, now a Clippers thread is complete".

you guys have definitely turned a potentially disasterous offseason into a good one...

still don't see you getting by a healthy OKC or GS but you have definitely improved your chances...

I like the Wes and Josh signings... now all you need to do is turn el chucker into something :)

Clippersfan86
07-18-2015, 12:49 PM
you guys have definitely turned a potentially disasterous offseason into a good one...

still don't see you getting by a healthy OKC or GS but you have definitely improved your chances...

I like the Wes and Josh signings... now all you need to do is turn el chucker into something :)

:cheers:. I'm stressed about Jamal. He's been all but demanding a trade and nobody wants him. This is why I said the Clippers should of cut him when he was only 1.5 mill guaranteed vs 5.7 mill. Nobody in the NBA seems interested in him and he no longer has a place on this team.

I'd rather give the rookie Dawson minutes, or Wes/Lance. If Jamal stays and plays with Lance, Josh, Austin.... huge problems IMO. Can't play 4 guys who can't shoot and want to dominate the ball together. Even 3 is pushing it.

Htownballa1622
07-18-2015, 07:02 PM

Idk if he wants to restart somewhere else but I'd say the chances of him leaving will be higher if we do get bounced round 1.

Cracka2HI!
07-19-2015, 12:36 AM
:cheers:. I'm stressed about Jamal. He's been all but demanding a trade and nobody wants him. This is why I said the Clippers should of cut him when he was only 1.5 mill guaranteed vs 5.7 mill. Nobody in the NBA seems interested in him and he no longer has a place on this team.

I'd rather give the rookie Dawson minutes, or Wes/Lance. If Jamal stays and plays with Lance, Josh, Austin.... huge problems IMO. Can't play 4 guys who can't shoot and want to dominate the ball together. Even 3 is pushing it.

I'm not too worried about Jamal or how he'll fit with our current bench. He's a true pro when it comes right down to it. He always has emo tweets when his name is in trade rumors. I think the 4 players fit better together than you think. They can all move the ball so in theory it could work. I really don't want to see the team give up Jamal for cheap or waive him because he could easily end up on a team like Memphis and really hurting us.

Vinylman
07-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Idk if he wants to restart somewhere else but I'd say the chances of him leaving will be higher if we do get bounced round 1.

i guess losing in the first round is now moot with the addition of lawson...

good get for the Rockets

Clippersfan86
07-20-2015, 06:02 PM
i guess losing in the first round is now moot with the addition of lawson...

good get for the Rockets

Not exactly. It's really unfortunate if you're a fan of a team in the west... but 6 teams have a realistic shot at the finals. 100 percent depends on health and matchups. Thunder, Warriors, Grizzlies, Clippers, Rockets, Spurs... going to be all out war for the west.

SF8
07-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Why would I? I don't care about the Clippers enough. You need to quit thinking that everyone is out to get the Clippers just because they don't think the moves they made are that great. There's passionate fans and then there's you. Way too over the top.

Saddletramp
07-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Why would I? I don't care about the Clippers enough. You need to quit thinking that everyone is out to get the Clippers just because they don't think the moves they made are that great. There's passionate fans and then there's you. Way too over the top.

And then literally a minute later in another Clippers thread you post this:

Only cause of CP3. I think Blake by himself may actually have a chance but CP3 has proved time and time again on various teams that he can't get past the 2nd round to save his life.

Literally one minute later.

Some Warriors fans are acting like the ugly high school chick that lost some weight, got her braces off and got contacts over the summer and now they're talking ****.