PDA

View Full Version : John Wall hinting to want a new deal ?

Stunner
07-14-2015, 06:53 PM
@basketballtalk: John Wall: “I’m getting paid the same as Reggie Jackson” http://t.co/9iQPqKkXvr

c.c.
07-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Money is ruining this sport

KG2TB
07-14-2015, 09:33 PM
Damn...pretty big insult to Jackson IMO. Hope he remembers it.

ManRam
07-14-2015, 09:37 PM
Damn...pretty big insult to Jackson IMO. Hope he remembers it.

if jackson doesn't get that he's on a far lower tier than john wall, well...

beasted86
07-14-2015, 09:54 PM

Wall is a top 4 PG, but let's see what Jackson can do with a full season with his own team.

I don't buy the hype, but maybe he breaks out like Harden or something.

WITZ
07-14-2015, 10:21 PM
Think Westbrooks deal is also topped at 80 Mil :laugh2: . Good thing Kyrie signed that 90 Mil deal last year because people gonna start getting over paid in the coming seasons.

ManRam
07-14-2015, 10:35 PM
Think Westbrooks deal is also topped at 80 Mil :laugh2: . Good thing Kyrie signed that 90 Mil deal last year because people gonna start getting over paid in the coming seasons.

it's a good time to be a free agent.

just how it works. this is truly an unparalleled occurrence in major american sports. the percentage the cap will increase will be so significantly greater than it ever has in any sport from one season to another.

Scoots
07-14-2015, 10:50 PM
And Kanter is making $12M more than Duncan this year ... so?

tredigs
07-14-2015, 10:52 PM
I really don't want to hear these douchebags complain about making 30 times a year more than the President of the United States.

Kyben36
07-14-2015, 11:20 PM
its true though, with this cap increase, and players under the old deal making so much less, its kinda unfair. and really, Reggie Jackson 80 worth the same as John wall.

TrueFan420
07-14-2015, 11:27 PM
@basketballtalk: John Wall: “I’m getting paid the same as Reggie Jackson” http://t.co/9iQPqKkXvr

He should stop complaining cause both of them are making more than Curry. If he doesn't understand context of when they signed then maybe he should have stayed in college for another year or two.

tredigs
07-14-2015, 11:29 PM
its true though, with this cap increase, and players under the old deal making so much less, its kinda unfair. and really, Reggie Jackson 80 worth the same as John wall.

And John Wall made >4X more on his current contract than Magic Johnson did in his entire career. It's all relative, and they're all filthy rich. Them complaining out loud about this is ****ing pathetic.

KG2TB
07-14-2015, 11:47 PM

That's not the point though. Using a young player with upside to use as an example of why you're under paid is kind of a douche thing to do. It's not like Jackson is some scrub and wall is this transcendent superstar.

Ty Fast
07-15-2015, 12:21 AM
Steph Curry is getting $12 million

TrueFan420
07-15-2015, 12:25 AM

Curry makes 11 million to walls 15.

As for wall... Context of when people sign is important. If he doesn't get that he's stupid.

Sactown
07-15-2015, 12:26 AM
What could Washington even do to give him a new contract? I don't believe you can negotiate deals in the middle of a contract

Wade n Fade
07-15-2015, 02:37 AM
He is much better than Jackson, but Wall needs to realize that the max contracts help and hurt people all the time. Wall should remember his blessings because he gets overpaid as a member of society because his profession generates millions of dollars because society favors sports heavily. Knowing the nature of the business should be common sense. The CBA involves a union repping him vs the league. If he doesn't like it, he can go try to use his limited educational experience to find a job that can match his other skills. I think he's being too petulant here.

MonroeFAN
07-15-2015, 05:27 AM
Pretty punk move. Unnecessary. I also think they're comparable in a lot of ways. But obviously I wouldn't take RJ over him.

GoferKing_
07-15-2015, 07:16 AM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

2-ONE-5
07-15-2015, 08:47 AM
Like Jackson, Wall was paid his deal before he really broke out too thats how it goes.

Hawkeye15
07-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Athletes annoy me. You signed your deal John, honor it.

How come we always see players wanting new deals when they should probably be making more? I never hear of players saying, "hey management, I really **** the bed this year, I don't think I earned my contract. We should re-negotiate to pay me less money".

You signed it. Honor it, and when your turn is up again, fight for more money.

Hawkeye15
07-15-2015, 11:48 AM

haven't heard him complain at all, despite being grossly underpaid.

deaner
07-15-2015, 04:11 PM
would it make sense to allow teams to give raises at their discretion to their players under contract at the time of the increase by 1/15th? It's not much, but it might add to the drama and let players know if the team values them instead of gaining cap or saving money.

think of it as inflationary adjustments.

Hawkeye15
07-15-2015, 04:15 PM
would it make sense to allow teams to give raises at their discretion to their players under contract at the time of the increase by 1/15th? It's not much, but it might add to the drama and let players know if the team values them instead of gaining cap or saving money.

think of it as inflationary adjustments.

as long as they were also allowed to decrease salary if performance doesn't meet expectations.

deaner
07-15-2015, 04:26 PM
as long as they were also allowed to decrease salary if performance doesn't meet expectations.

interesting... but I think that's a totally different issue. that would no longer be "inflationary"... but a soft salary float point which would be pretty crazy to manage. I'm talking about 6.66% of the cap increase yes or no for each player on the roster.

TrueFan420
07-15-2015, 04:27 PM
haven't heard him complain at all, despite being grossly underpaid.

That's cause he's not stupid and understands 1 the context of how and why he signed his deal 2 complaining now ain't gonna change it 3 he's gonna get the max when his deal is up

TheHebrewHammer
07-15-2015, 04:40 PM
Take it up with the players union LOL.

To be fair to the league on this one, they proposed cap-smoothing to stop these kind of lopsided numbers from showing up with crazy cap jumps. The players union rejected it thinking, and to be fair to them they were probably right on this one, that the league would just pocket the extra revenues from the cap jumping up. What should have happened was cap increase in line with the past and a percentage increase on all players currently under contract but that would have been a ***** to negotiate the details of.

Demar Derozan is likely to be paid more next year then every player in the NBA was last year. It's grossly unfair but everything will balance out again in 5-6 years and these eye-popping comparisons will be gone.

Sactown
07-15-2015, 04:41 PM

I don't want either, it'll allow players to hold out wanting a new contract

Hawkeye15
07-15-2015, 05:16 PM
interesting... but I think that's a totally different issue. that would no longer be "inflationary"... but a soft salary float point which would be pretty crazy to manage. I'm talking about 6.66% of the cap increase yes or no for each player on the roster.

It would have to tie in with the company (ie, team) fiscal year, meaning the team would have to make more money than the previous year imo, to justify a "discretionary" bump. But they can do what they want. I think it just complicates things. There are already incentives galore available to build in.

Hawkeye15
07-15-2015, 05:18 PM
Money is ruining this sport

the counter to that is, small market teams (see Milwaukee) can win in Free Agency now. No longer is the allure of a big market what it was. Big money, and endorsements can find you in the middle of nowhere nowadays.

Saddletramp
07-15-2015, 05:25 PM
If Wall wants to be paid accordingly, he should sign 1 year deals. Huge gamble but he'll be paid what he's worth.

ewing
07-16-2015, 08:33 AM

is he?

ewing
07-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Wall is a top 4 PG, but let's see what Jackson can do with a full season with his own team.

I don't buy the hype, but maybe he breaks out like Harden or something.

please he isn't even the best guard on his team. As far as PG go

CP3
Steph
Lillard
Irving
Russ
and Conley

at min are clearly better players.

ewing
07-16-2015, 08:42 AM
He is much better than Jackson, but Wall needs to realize that the max contracts help and hurt people all the time. Wall should remember his blessings because he gets overpaid as a member of society because his profession generates millions of dollars because society favors sports heavily. Knowing the nature of the business should be common sense. The CBA involves a union repping him vs the league. If he doesn't like it, he can go try to use his limited educational experience to find a job that can match his other skills. I think he's being too petulant here.

I don't know about that. I think the Wizards could have won 45 games and lost in the 2nd round the last two years with Jackson instead of Wall.

sammyvine
07-16-2015, 03:06 PM
I don't know about that. I think the Wizards could have won 45 games and lost in the 2nd round the last two years with Jackson instead of Wall.

I am no fan of John walls cockyness but to say he may not be better than Jackson is a joke or just hater talk. He is a top tier PG; great slasher and passer, decent defender. He is much better than Jackson. He is a legit all star . Jackson is decent but that's where I ends tbh

ewing
07-16-2015, 04:05 PM
I am no fan of John walls cockyness but to say he may not be better than Jackson is a joke or just hater talk. He is a top tier PG; great slasher and passer, decent defender. He is much better than Jackson. He is a legit all star . Jackson is decent but that's where I ends tbh

He can push the ball and defend very well, he is also a solid passer. He is not a great slasher. you have be able to get the hole will and finish at will to be a great slasher- he isn't. I don't think he is top tier unless that tier includes like 10 guys. Is he better then Jackson- yeah. Is he that much better- i don't think so.

rapjuicer06
07-16-2015, 05:23 PM
He can push the ball and defend very well, he is also a solid passer. He is not a great slasher. you have be able to get the hole will and finish at will to be a great slasher- he isn't. I don't think he is not a top tier unless that tier includes like 10 guys. Is he better then Jackson- yeah. Is he that much better- i don't think so.

I'm with you on that. I think Jackson will develop into a better shooter than Wall as well. I think Jackson goes off this year

ewing
07-16-2015, 05:30 PM
I'm with you on that. I think Jackson will develop into a better shooter than Wall as well. I think Jackson goes off this year

the Wizard had a talented well balance team the last two years. Wall is good. if he was a superstar they would more then 2nd tier EC team.

Hawkeye15
07-16-2015, 05:37 PM
the Wizard had a talented well balance team the last two years. Wall is good. if he was a superstar they would more then 2nd tier EC team.

He was hurt against Atlanta, I think the Wiz win that series with Wall healthy.

And they are killing themselves by having Whittman stick around. I can't fathom how he has a head coaching job.

ewing
07-16-2015, 11:20 PM
He was hurt against Atlanta, I think the Wiz win that series with Wall healthy.

And they are killing themselves by having Whittman stick around. I can't fathom how he has a head coaching job.

they were just as good without him in that series and he was trash on both series the year before

Sandman
07-16-2015, 11:25 PM
Curry makes 11 million to walls 15.

As for wall... Context of when people sign is important. If he doesn't get that he's stupid.

You no like click article?

“I guess they came in at the right time. That new CBA kicked in and they’re good now."

Hawkeye15
07-17-2015, 12:01 PM
they were just as good without him in that series and he was trash on both series the year before

I won't argue previous years, because I think last year is where his biggest improvement came from.

What do you mean they were just as good without him?

MonroeFAN
07-17-2015, 12:04 PM
Can't wait to watch Jackson blast off next season.

TrueFan420
07-17-2015, 12:51 PM
You no like click article?

“I guess they came in at the right time. That new CBA kicked in and they’re good now."

Naw reading something before commenting on it is un-American. Honestly didn't bother looking at the link. I'm so use to athletes now a days saying stupid ish that his comments about making as much as Reggie didn't shock me. I guess he does get the context but that almost makes it just as bad. He understands but still complains about it and thru the media non the less. Just do your job and when your deal is up push for the max.

ewing
07-17-2015, 01:08 PM
I won't argue previous years, because I think last year is where his biggest improvement came from.

What do you mean they were just as good without him?

the team didn't look like the lost much when they replaced him with Sessions. they definitely lost on D but they probably were a better offensive team without wall dominating the ball. I don't think they are better without Wall but it wasn't like if Bron went down on the Cavs. Short term they were fine. Dude just isn't a superstar, maybe if he ever start hitting a J consistently and move the ball a little sooner. As far as PG go I'd take

CP3
Steph
Russ
Conley
Dragic
Irving
Lillard

then you have guys like Teague, Lowery, and Lawson that i think are in the same league as him.

Hawkeye15
07-17-2015, 01:29 PM
the team didn't look like the lost much when they replaced him with Sessions. they definitely lost on D but they probably were a better offensive team without wall dominating the ball. I don't think they are better without Wall but it wasn't like if Bron went down on the Cavs. Short term they were fine. Dude just isn't a superstar, maybe if he ever start hitting a J consistently and move the ball a little sooner. As far as PG go I'd take

CP3
Steph
Russ
Conley
Dragic
Irving
Lillard

then you have guys like Teague, Lowery, and Lawson that i think are in the same league as him.

I think you are underrating Wall. He is an excellent defender, and still puts a ton of pressure on the defense with his speed, opening up shooting and cutting lanes for teammates. He isn't in the elite group, but he is for sure in that 2nd tier. I think he is below the guys you named in order, and I don't argue you he is closer to the 3 guys you listed last than the 7 above him. But he is a pretty good starting PG. They beat Atlanta with a healthy Wall imo.

ewing
07-17-2015, 01:33 PM
I think you are underrating Wall. He is an excellent defender, and still puts a ton of pressure on the defense with his speed, opening up shooting and cutting lanes for teammates. He isn't in the elite group, but he is for sure in that 2nd tier. I think he is below the guys you named in order, and I don't argue you he is closer to the 3 guys you listed last than the 7 above him. But he is a pretty good starting PG. They beat Atlanta with a healthy Wall imo.

I agree. he's not trash and he is not a stop gag but he is not the superstar he is billed as and a lot people seem to give him credit for being.

Hawkeye15
07-17-2015, 01:40 PM
I agree. he's not trash and he is not a stop gag but he is the superstar he is billed as and a lot people seem to give him credit for being.

he is the definition of why I hate the term "superstar". It is so overused. If it means brings in the fans and makes a ton of money for the team and sells shoes, fine. But that isn't what it means to me.