PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Grizzlies draft history, or how not to build a team but succeed anyway.

Scoots
07-13-2015, 10:49 PM
The Grizzlies drafts back to 2003 (not including this year)

Jordan Adams
Jamaal Franklin
Joffrey Lauvergne
Janis Timma
Tony Wroten
Josh Selby
Xavier Henry
Dominique Jones
Greivis Vasquez
Hasheem Thabeet
DeMarre Carroll
Sam Young
Kevin Love
Donte Greene
Mike Conley
Kyle Lowry
Hakim Warrick
Sergei Lishouk
Marcus Banks
Kendrick Perkins

Only 1 player had a significant career for the Grizzlies in Conley. Among the players drafted who left only Love became a star. Perkins, Banks, Warrick, Carroll, and Vasquez hung around on multiple teams with only Carroll and Vasquez being "good" NBA players.

All this from the draft and yet the Grizzlies are a threat in the stacked west year after year after year. The 76ers are trying to build a team one way, the Grizzlies have SOMEHOW built a team almost completely without winning in the draft.

If you don't win in the draft I guess it really helps if you counter program the trends of the rest of the league.

aman_13
07-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Lowry became a star.

ManRam
07-13-2015, 11:24 PM
yeah, it's definitely pretty impressive. trading love for mayo and whiffing on thabeet in back-to-back drafts should have crippled them. they are very fortunate that gasol turned into something very special. and though there were some obvious clunkers, they've pulled off some savvy trades too (most obviously trading darko for q-rich and than flipping him for randolph). conley was a great pick in hindsight too

it's definitely rare. 5 years in a row in the playoffs and 3 years (4 basically) in a row with 50+ wins.

5ass
07-13-2015, 11:38 PM
They could've created a dynasty if they drafted Harden over Thabeet.

slaker619
07-13-2015, 11:38 PM
A lot of these players became a star or better player after leaving

kingkenny01
07-14-2015, 12:03 AM
Oj mayo or was it a draft trade?

Scoots
07-14-2015, 12:20 AM
Lowry became a star.

Yeah, knew he was there and somehow left him out of my comments.

Scoots
07-14-2015, 12:27 AM
A lot of these players became a star or better player after leaving

"A lot"? How do you define "star or better"? The only ex-memphis all-stars are Love and Lowry.

That's 3 total all-stars out of 20 draft picks, and only 1 of them for the Griz.

Blitzbolt
07-14-2015, 07:55 PM
Grizzlies suck in the draft we always pick the wrong players.That's why we always try to trade our picks.

I think we give players a second chance to redeem them self's and Memphis is a perfect place for that its a big reason why we have so many old vets(Ai didn't work though).Of course Conley and Marc (two players others give up on early) are the reason for our success.

Scoots
07-14-2015, 10:42 PM
Grizzlies suck in the draft we always pick the wrong players.That's why we always try to trade our picks.

I think we give players a second chance to redeem them self's and Memphis is a perfect place for that its a big reason why we have so many old vets(Ai didn't work though).Of course Conley and Marc (two players others give up on early) are the reason for our success.

So the GM is good but the college scouts suck?

Some of those years were Jerry West too and he's been great for the Warriors (as far as I can tell).

goingfor28
07-14-2015, 10:48 PM
Had no idea Memphis drafted Love

Ty Fast
07-15-2015, 11:44 PM
Had no idea Memphis drafted Love

They traded him for OJ Mayo

Ty Fast
07-15-2015, 11:44 PM
They could've created a dynasty if they drafted Harden over Thabeet.

Or Steph