PDA

View Full Version : Roy Hibbert A Laker

Wade n Fade
07-09-2015, 09:34 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/story/pacers-send-c-roy-hibbert-to-lakers-for-a-second-round-pick-070915

chi-townlove1
07-09-2015, 09:38 PM
@Lakerholicz247: Lakers acquire two-time All-Star center Roy Hibbert from the Pacers: The Lakers acquired 7-foot-2 center Roy H... http://t.co/qRsqWPyb33

TheGuz00
07-09-2015, 09:41 PM
I like it, 1 year deal, no gamble.

Wade n Fade
07-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Tribute video to Roy's time with the Pacers for the hardy moments: http://youtu.be/zSJp1dgk_2s

More-Than-Most
07-09-2015, 09:59 PM
yay.... better pick for the sixers... he is so trash... I figured the sixers would play the run style offense and out play teams... i am not a fan of hibbert at all esp with this team around him. He is **** out east with no competition... west centers gonna put him over their knee.

ManRam
07-09-2015, 10:10 PM
Hopefully a change of scenery helps him out. Contract year too. Every time his name is brought up I still initially think about how terrified LeBron and Wade were of attacking him during some of those playoff matches. Unlike anything I've ever seen from those two guys. He's obviously not that same player, but he's still a well-above average defensive center and if there's anything the Lakers need it certainly is defense.

I'll be rooting for him. Cautiously optimistic. Zero risk move for the Lakers. If it doesn't work out, oh well. They can move right on along.

jerellh528
07-09-2015, 10:16 PM
yay.... better pick for the sixers... he is so trash... I figured the sixers would play the run style offense and out play teams... i am not a fan of hibbert at all esp with this team around him. He is **** out east with no competition... west centers gonna put him over their knee.

Lol

5ass
07-09-2015, 10:17 PM

I'd actually argue he has more value for a western conference team. You need some size.

nickdymez
07-09-2015, 10:24 PM
I like it alot. Low risk, high reward. Gives Upshaw a little room to develop if the Lakers keep him. If he plays above average it makes this signing better than LA imo.

Teeboy1487
07-09-2015, 10:31 PM
This is a solid move by the Lakers. Hibbert's defense truly is needed badly. Russell, Clarkson, Randle, and Kobe are all horrible defenders. I just hope Hibbert can come in, man the paint defensively, and allow the perimeter players to play the passing lanes more aggressively. I do worry about him mentally. Hopefully a change of scenery can help him.

Leftcoast_yg
07-09-2015, 10:37 PM

Dont worry the sixers are going to keep getting those high picks for the next 10 years ;)

IndyRealist
07-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Pacers signed Jordan Hill, so effectively we just swapped bigs.

Wade n Fade
07-09-2015, 10:43 PM

Sign Boozer and you have a fun little deal brewing lol.

tredigs
07-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Lakers won that swap. They'll be a fun team to watch, I loved Randle in college, and Hibbert is the exact kind of big he'll grow next to nicely.

Mcdoh
07-09-2015, 10:52 PM

3 hill now on the roster..

Teeboy1487
07-09-2015, 10:55 PM

I really liked Jordan Hill's game until someone told him he can shoot like Lamarcus Aldridge. I hope Jordan Hill gets back to being that hustle guy who gets tons of offensive rebounds. I hated jump shooting Jordan Hill. It took him away from the paint. He is still a decent defender and is capable of protecting the paint. I just hope his gets back to being that hustle/glue guy Jordan Hill. That's when he's at his best.

More-Than-Most
07-09-2015, 11:04 PM
Lakers won that swap. They'll be a fun team to watch, I loved Randle in college, and Hibbert is the exact kind of big he'll grow next to nicely.

how exactly did the lakers win the swap when everyone thought that the pacers should have had to give up a pick with every team knowing they are in salary hell and didnt want him?

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-09-2015, 11:05 PM
I really like this move by the Lakers well worth the gamble for just a 2nd.

More-Than-Most
07-09-2015, 11:07 PM
Dont worry the sixers are going to keep getting those high picks for the next 10 years ;)

we were competitive up until what 3 years ago and have been tanking the last 2 years? This whole the sixers are gonna be in this position comeback is dumb and gets old... the sixers are in a much better position than the lakers with the only thing the lakers having is that big time players would rather come there... BUT WAIT.... Thats no longer the case either.

mngopher35
07-09-2015, 11:07 PM
how exactly did the lakers win the swap when everyone thought that the pacers should have had to give up a pick with every team knowing they are in salary hell and didnt want him?

Because Hibbert is better than Jordan Hill. He also fits nicely with Randle which he already stated.

More-Than-Most
07-09-2015, 11:09 PM
Its easily low risk high reward if he can ever return to form but he is trash... i have never seen a bigger waste of talent and he gives them a slight boost in defense but they will have to slow things down for him which is a waste in my opinion.... this new lakers squad should try uptempo basketball or at least i thought they would with russ

More-Than-Most
07-09-2015, 11:10 PM
Because Hibbert is better than Jordan Hill. He also fits nicely with Randle which he already stated.

hibbert has not been better than hill... both are trash but last time i checked the pacers were trying hard to get rid of him as a salary dump... ala sixers/kings type thing... pacers should have given up a pick and not the lakers.

ManRam
07-09-2015, 11:12 PM

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/13230638/nba-lakers-get-temporary-help-center-roy-hibbert

Cash and a future second round pick is as close to the proverbial "peanuts" as it gets.

They got a guy who can defend and that should help out Randle plenty. He fills their biggest present short-term need with absolutely zero long-term ramifications. The Lakers weren't gonna spend that cap space on anything...because there really wasn't anything left out there...so absorbing his contract doesn't matter at all. Still aren't even at the cap yet.

The Pacers shed the money, but that money wasn't really invested in an amazing manner either.

BKdoubleStacker
07-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Dude you are trash

More-Than-Most
07-09-2015, 11:17 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/13230638/nba-lakers-get-temporary-help-center-roy-hibbert

Cash and a future second round pick is as close to the proverbial "peanuts" as it gets.

They got a guy who can defend and that should help out Randle plenty. He fills their biggest present short-term need with absolutely zero long-term ramifications. The Lakers weren't gonna spend that cap space on anything...because there really wasn't anything left out there...so absorbing his contract doesn't matter at all. Still aren't even at the cap yet.

The Pacers shed the money, but that money wasn't really invested in an amazing manner either.

wouldnt you prefer a more uptempo offense with the pieces you currently have? I honestly think the lakers could become better faster if they went that route and that is how russ likes to play with the ball in his hand... hibberts gonna slow that down and make bone headed play after bone headed play... I was all on board for LA/COUSINS but honestly i doubt hibbert does anything for them... i have never been a fan of him and he has been nothing but a waste of talent.

More-Than-Most
07-09-2015, 11:18 PM
Dude you are trash

omg what an amazing comeback and a perfect rebuttal to everything i said... you sir deserve a hand. :clap:

ManRam
07-09-2015, 11:24 PM
wouldnt you prefer a more uptempo offense with the pieces you currently have? I honestly think the lakers could become better faster if they went that route and that is how russ likes to play with the ball in his hand... hibberts gonna slow that down and make bone headed play after bone headed play... I was all on board for LA/COUSINS but honestly i doubt hibbert does anything for them... i have never been a fan of him and he has been nothing but a waste of talent.

I'm not saying Hibbert is a perfect fit, or without his flaws. He's not, and he has tons of them.

But the idea of throwing Randle out there next to Jordan Hill and his very poor defense is a bit terrifying. Offense isn't gonna be Randle's problem...it's gonna be on the defensive end. Putting a sieve next to him would be a bad move. You can't throw him out to the wolves like that. Yes, Hibbert might limit their offensive ability and slow them down, but everyone else on that roster is offense first/defense never.

Defensively he's still well-above average/slightly below elite.

And in the end, the Lakers aren't winning anything next year. Whether or not he helps all that much probably won't matter. Getting a body, who can help on the defensive end (second worst in the NBA last year), and who's signed to a one year deal is a fine move....and giving up nothing to get it is not worth criticizing. It's literally zero risk, the-reward-doesn't-matter-much. It's fine. Moving on.

More-Than-Most
07-09-2015, 11:24 PM
I will say this if there is anyone that can force him to use his talent its kobe.

More-Than-Most
07-09-2015, 11:27 PM
I'm not saying Hibbert is a perfect fit, or without his flaws. He's not, and he has tons of them.

But the idea of throwing Randle out there next to Jordan Hill and his very poor defense is a bit terrifying. Offense isn't gonna be Randle's problem...it's gonna be on the defensive end. Putting a sieve next to him would be a bad move. You can't throw him out to the wolves like that. Yes, Hibbert might limit their offensive ability and slow them down, but everyone else on that roster is offense first/defense never.

Defensively he's still well-above average/slightly below elite.

And in the end, the Lakers aren't winning anything next year. Whether or not he helps all that much probably won't matter. Getting a body, who can help on the defensive end (second worst in the NBA last year), and who's signed to a one year deal is a fine move....and giving up nothing to get it is not worth criticizing. It's literally zero risk, the-reward-doesn't-matter-much. It's fine. Moving on.

part of the reason why i thought you guys should draft russ and stay away from oka is what you stated above so i dont disagree there. I just hope other young players dont pick up his horrid habits.

jerellh528
07-09-2015, 11:32 PM
I'll trade a second rounder for a rim protecting, relatively young 7 footer who is 1 yr removed from bein a 2x all star and all NBA defensive second teamer every day and twice on Sunday. He's still got the tools to return to form, it's not like the monstars stole his talents. He was just in a bad place in indy and needed a change of scenery big time. Now he has a concrete role of just doin what he does best, he won't be counted on to produce much offense or anything like that. And if it doesn't work out, he's on a one year deal, we still have the cap space and were no worse off than before. I can't see how ppl are bashing this move, but then again, it's the lakers

JasonJohnHorn
07-09-2015, 11:34 PM
If they had picked up LMA, with Randle and Russell coming on board next year, the Lakers could have been in pretty good shape.

As is, though, I don't think they have enough. they should have pushed to pick up David Lee.

jerellh528
07-09-2015, 11:37 PM
If they had picked up LMA, with Randle and Russell coming on board next year, the Lakers could have been in pretty good shape.

As is, though, I don't think they have enough. they should have pushed to pick up David Lee.

I think they're good on pfs, they need a defensive oriented wing who can hit the occasional 3. Not much left out there though.

More-Than-Most
07-09-2015, 11:40 PM
I'll trade a second rounder for a rim protecting, relatively young 7 footer who is 1 yr removed from bein a 2x all star and all NBA defensive second teamer every day and twice on Sunday. He's still got the tools to return to form, it's not like the monstars stole his talents. He was just in a bad place in indy and needed a change of scenery big time. Now he has a concrete role of just doin what he does best, he won't be counted on to produce much offense or anything like that. And if it doesn't work out, he's on a one year deal, we still have the cap space and were no worse off than before. I can't see how ppl are bashing this move, but then again, it's the lakers

1 reason why i bash the move... he is slow and dumb and that could hurt the high upside kids who actually play hard and use their talent... He has been a waste of talent for so very long and now that he is a laker people think he is the second coming like they did OKA before he was even drafted. This year should be all about randal and russ and if you think hibbert will sit back and just be the rim protector you guys want him to be you have another thing coming... if you are basing my hate being because its the lakers why was i all for cousins/LA/Russ and so on down the list? I have never liked hibbert and again its a low risk/high reward move but i wouldnt put him around the keys to my future in russ/randal.

More-Than-Most
07-09-2015, 11:41 PM
Yes Lee would have been a better fit just from the stand point he is not a complete and utter tool and would actually try to take these guys under his wing.

jerellh528
07-09-2015, 11:48 PM
Yes Lee would have been a better fit just from the stand point he is not a complete and utter tool and would actually try to take these guys under his wing.

Every report is that he's a good locker room guy, his biggest advocate was David west, who obviously cares a ton about winning because he took vets min to join a contender. Where did you get the idea he won't take them under his wing? I haven't heard that but if you got a link or something I would love to read it so I can change my mind about him as a vet on the team. Is he a cancer? I just am not connecting why you wouldn't want the rookies around him? He trains hard every offseason also.

More-Than-Most
07-09-2015, 11:51 PM
Every report is that he's a good locker room guy, his biggest advocate was David west, who obviously cares a ton about winning because he took vets min to join a contender. Where did you get the idea he won't take them under his wing? I haven't heard that but if you got a link or something I would love to read it so I can change my mind about him as a vet on the team. Is he a cancer? I just am not connecting why you wouldn't want the rookies around him? He trains hard every offseason also.

there were several reports when he was relevant where he threw the entire team under the boss if i remember correctly.... Again some of my bias is probably showing because the 2 people i hate most in this league is green from the warriors and hibbert.

jerellh528
07-09-2015, 11:52 PM
there were several reports when he was relevant where he threw the entire team under the boss if i remember correctly.... Again some of my bias is probably showing because the 2 people i hate most in this league is green from the warriors and hibbert.

Fa sho.

mngopher35
07-10-2015, 12:45 AM
hibbert has not been better than hill... both are trash but last time i checked the pacers were trying hard to get rid of him as a salary dump... ala sixers/kings type thing... pacers should have given up a pick and not the lakers.

Yes, Pacers wanted to dump Hibbert and start fresh (neither should have given up a first). Hibbert still is better than Jordan Hill and has been before as well. They are pretty close offensively you could say but Hibbert is capable of being a solid defensive anchor while hill is not which is the key. That is what they need next to randle more than anything else early on IMO. I know Hibbert isn't up tempo himself but it is fine for him to follow the plays when the other 4 break.

It's not an amazing move by any means but it is a nice stop-gap where you might just get lucky on a player.

PowerHouse
07-10-2015, 01:10 AM
Im just stoked they got somebody better than Sacre or Hill. And only gave up a 2nd rounder? Double win!

naps
07-10-2015, 03:56 AM
He should average more rebounds now if Kobe is able to play and these two are on the court together ;)

RubberBand Man
07-10-2015, 04:11 AM
Dynasty!!!! I think we can make the playoffs if all healthy.

thenaj17
07-10-2015, 04:49 AM
Dynasty!!!! I think we can make the playoffs if all healthy.

I hope for your own sanity, that you're joking.

Not a fan of Hibbert at all because he's so slow and will be in foul trouble a lot but what were we going to do otherwise? Roll with Sacre & the undrafted rookie?

It is literally ZERO risk. We were /are going to suck without LA/DJ/DMC anyway so why not give it a try. If anything he's a solid defender, which we have very little of 1 through 15 on the roster. Nance might actually be our 2nd best now Wes has left...

Tony_Starks
07-10-2015, 08:44 AM

Lol

savvy1803
07-10-2015, 01:48 PM
Its easily low risk high reward if he can ever return to form but he is trash... i have never seen a bigger waste of talent and he gives them a slight boost in defense but they will have to slow things down for him which is a waste in my opinion.... this new lakers squad should try uptempo basketball or at least i thought they would with russ

Your hatred of Hibbert aside you do realize that the warriors have Bogut not exactly a racehorse but are still able to play an uptempo game , uptempo starts only after you get the ball ... if Hibbert is capable of getting the rebound and getting it to his point guard or throwing an outlet pass the uptempo game will thrive .

Hibbert is not going to lead the fast break but if he can rebound and get it to one of his young gazelles there will be an uptempo opportunity , he might not even lumber over half court before a shot is taken on the other end , which is fine because it will allow him to be back on defense .

As far as his mental fragility the Lakers have to hope he embraces the fresh start he has been given and is able to return to his previous all star levels if not he may struggle , either way it's a low risk situation for a possible 1 year rental .

sixers247
07-10-2015, 01:54 PM
Everyone please don't lump MTM as a sixers fan with the rest of us. He is a clown troll who downplays every move and thinks everything sucks.

Burkey3472
07-10-2015, 02:07 PM
He won't be asked to do anything offensively, just be a rim protector which he is still capable of. If it doesn't work out he is gone at the end of the season and if it does and they are out of the race he can get value back or resign him.

savvy1803
07-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Everyone please don't lump MTM as a sixers fan with the rest of us. He is a clown troll who downplays every move and thinks everything sucks.

I never will judge an entire fan base off the grumblings of one poster , each team in the league has tons of great fans .