PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain to me why Porzingis' weight is an issue?

jeter 2
07-09-2015, 07:23 PM
There's a lot of chatter than Porzingus is too skinny to play PF in the NBA.

But here are a couple of power forwards and their weights:

Chris Bosh- 235 lbs
Pau Gasol- 250 lbs
Lemarcus Aldridge- 240 lbs
Zach Randolph-260 lbs
Blake Griffin- 251 lbs
Dirk Nowizki- 245 lbs
Kevin Love-243 lbs
Serge Ibaka- 236 lbs
Kristipas Porzingis- 231 lbs
Frank Kaminsky- 230 lbs

First off, I know Porzingis is the lightest. Take a look at Bosh and Ibaka's weight. They both weigh around 235 pounds. How is Porzingis' weight a problem. He's only 4 pounds lighter than 2 of the best defensive power forwards in the NBA.

So when "experts" say he needs to develop an NBA body to have an impact, why? Why can't he have a huge impact at his current weight?

Also speaking about the draft, why doesn't anyone say Kaminsky needs to develop an NBA body? He went up against Towns and Okafor and held his own.

So is Porzingis weight issue a myth?

MassoDio
07-09-2015, 07:32 PM
It's not a weight issue per se. It's a strength issue.

Bosh at 6'11 235 and Ibaka at 6'10 236 is different than Porzingis at 7'1 231. Three to four inches taller and 4 lbs lighter is a difference.

The issue is strength though. Bosh and Ibaka were lighter when they were younger and added strength. In doing so, they gained weight to where they are now. If Porzingis added strength, he should, ideally, weigh more than them, at that height.

The major complaint is that "he will get pushed around in the NBA". And he will because he is not strong enough to handle NBA big men right now. Adding weight will be a by-product of adding strength.

They said the same thing about Durant. Durant is still very thin, but has added strength. He still isn't big enough to bang with most of the bigger SF in the league, but he has added enough strength to contend with them by using his other gifts.

So yes, Porzingis will struggle with the strength and physicality of the league until he adds strength, and in the process weight. That doesn't mean he can't have good games, or show flashes. He just probably won't be anything close to great, anytime real soon. A couple of years from now...possibly.

D-Leethal
07-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Nobody plays power ball anymore anyway. You can hide KP from someone who wants to play bully ball in the post every 5th game and he looks like he defends to PnR very well. His weight won't stop him from contributing, but he obviously needs to get stronger to reach peak level play.

I can't think of a vaunted prospect that was dissed for their weight as rookies that it actually held them back from being great, they said it about KD, AD, KG, Dirk, Pau and the list goes on.

east fb knicks
07-09-2015, 08:14 PM
It is a problem now but tbh he'll be just fine in about a year lmao adding weight and muscle is probably one of the easiest things to do for a pro athlete shyt ant Davis was 220 when he came into the nba look at him now

FYL_McVeezy
07-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Look at his tapes from Sevilla....he gets tossed around with ease in the paint....I agree its not a "weight" issue per say it's more of a mass/strength issue...but he'll gain weight/strength over time no worries...

Just go out there and show that skillset

GiantsSwaGG
07-09-2015, 09:06 PM
He needs to get stronger, it's not a weight issue

2-ONE-5
07-09-2015, 09:28 PM
There's a lot of chatter than Porzingus is too skinny to play PF in the NBA.

But here are a couple of power forwards and their weights:

Chris Bosh- 235 lbs
Pau Gasol- 250 lbs
Lemarcus Aldridge- 240 lbs
Zach Randolph-260 lbs
Blake Griffin- 251 lbs
Dirk Nowizki- 245 lbs
Kevin Love-243 lbs
Serge Ibaka- 236 lbs
Kristipas Porzingis- 231 lbs
Frank Kaminsky- 230 lbs

First off, I know Porzingis is the lightest. Take a look at Bosh and Ibaka's weight. They both weigh around 235 pounds. How is Porzingis' weight a problem. He's only 4 pounds lighter than 2 of the best defensive power forwards in the NBA.

So when "experts" say he needs to develop an NBA body to have an impact, why? Why can't he have a huge impact at his current weight?

Also speaking about the draft, why doesn't anyone say Kaminsky needs to develop an NBA body? He went up against Towns and Okafor and held his own.

So is Porzingis weight issue a myth?

look at his body then look at Ibakas and thats your answer

Kyben36
07-09-2015, 09:38 PM
he is young, he will be fine....

DarkKnight
07-09-2015, 09:46 PM
He'll be fine go hang with Lebron he's got some roids for him

ohreally
07-09-2015, 11:05 PM
I don't know, those are some very skinny legs

Cal827
07-09-2015, 11:15 PM
It is a problem now but tbh he'll be just fine in about a year lmao adding weight and muscle is probably one of the easiest things to do for a pro athlete shyt ant Davis was 220 when he came into the nba look at him now

Pretty much this. If he keeps going at it, he should put on some mass/muscle. I remember when the Raptors drafted Bosh, and one of the main issues was his weight/muscle. After a few years, he was able to get there, and he became an all-star.

As long as Porzingis keeps working hard, he should get there too. Might take a year or two, but tall lanky PFs/Cs in their rookie year aren't uncommon. Not everyone who comes out is gonna look like Shaq :laugh2:

KnicksorBust
07-09-2015, 11:44 PM
Agreed. He is stronger than most 15 year old girls.

JasonJohnHorn
07-10-2015, 07:07 PM
This guy is still a kid. He hasn't widened out yet. Look at KG at that age: he was a rail.

Men may reach their pique height in their teens, but their body continues to fill out into their early-mid 20's in most cases. If you look at a pick of a guy at 18 and then 24, you'll see you'll typically that the shoulders are wider.

Like I said, this guy is still a kid. He's a teen ager. His strength and size will come.

cheetos185
07-10-2015, 07:12 PM
He will look like drago in three years.

Scoots
07-10-2015, 07:14 PM
It's going to take years for him to fill out ... they will (if they are smart) take their time building up his muscle mass to avoid injuries caused by adding muscle mass too quickly or too much.

It just means he's going to learn the hard way how physical NBA big are even when they are not as physical as they used to be.

kubernetes
07-11-2015, 01:21 AM
Meh, I remember when AD came out I thought he would be a bust because he was a damn stick, but look at him now.