PDA

View Full Version : How would you rank the west now?

rocketfuel
07-09-2015, 04:07 AM
1. How would you rank the west now?
2. Who makes the conference finals?
3. How do the contenders match up against the Spurs and Cavs?

Saddletramp
07-09-2015, 04:17 AM
Assuming everyone's healthy and no new major moves:

SA
GS
OKC

LAC
Memphis
Houston
NO

Phoenix
Utah
Sacramento

Minnesota
LAL
Portland
Dallas
Denver

Broken up into tiers. Hard to tell this early, though. Lotsa moves gonna be made.

tredigs
07-09-2015, 04:18 AM
Warriors / Spurs / OKC

Rox / Clips / Grizz / Pels

Doesn't matter.

jerellh528
07-09-2015, 04:28 AM
1. Spurs
2. Thunder
3. Warriors
4. Clippers
5. Grizzlies
6. Rockets
7. Pelicans
8. Jazz
9. Suns
10. Mavs
11. Lakers
12. Blazers
13. Timberwolves
14. Kings
15. Nuggets

Wcf= Spurs vs thunder

Mine is ranked from most to least likely to win title. Not regular season record because I can see golden state having most reg season wins again. Plus it might take a while for Spurs to integrate Aldridge and for durant to round back into MVP form.

TylerSL
07-09-2015, 04:34 AM
1. Spurs
2. Warriors
3. Thunder
4. Clippers
5. Grizzlies
6. Rockets
7. Pelicans
8. Utah
9. Phoenix
10. Dallas
11. Lakers
12. Timberwolves
13. Portland
14. Sacramento
15. Denver

FraziersKnicks
07-09-2015, 04:36 AM
Spurs
Warriors
Thunder

Clippers
Grizzlies
Rockets
Pelicans

Suns
Mavs
Jazz
Kings

T'Wolves
Lakers
Nuggets
Blazers

Most of those teams are interchangeable in their tiers (although I don't see the Pels finishing higher than 6/7)

PASS_THE_ROCK
07-09-2015, 04:39 AM
I don't care what any of you Laker haters say cause none of you are real experts by any means but Lakers got a chance at that 8th seed. True fans know this, lol at Dallas for opening it up for us.

jerellh528
07-09-2015, 04:41 AM
I don't care what any of you Laker haters say cause none of you are real experts by any means but Lakers got a chance at that 8th seed. True fans know this, lol at Dallas for opening it up for us.

Plz don't embarrass laker fans. Even if we did by some miracle make the playoffs, 8th seed is nothing to brag about

Saddletramp
07-09-2015, 04:47 AM
Plz don't embarrass laker fans. Even if we did by some miracle make the playoffs, 8th seed is nothing to brag about

The irony.

rocketfuel
07-09-2015, 05:15 AM
How do the Warriors and Thunder match up against the Spurs? How do the Spurs match up against the Cavs?

thenaj17
07-09-2015, 06:37 AM
Have Jazz signed some star that i've not noticed? 2 of you have them 8th? No way are they better than Phoenix or Dallas. I wouldn't even rank them ahead of the Lakers or Kings

Not that it matters outside the top 5 because the Conference Finals will be between any 2 of Spurs, Thunder, Warriors, Rockets and Clippers in that order.

If Pels had a 2nd star with Davis, they'd have a shot but not likely to get 1 at this stage.

LakersIn5
07-09-2015, 06:52 AM
Regular season prediction

1. Gsw
2. Okc
3. Lac
4. Sas - wont play their A game til playoffs
5. Houston
6. New Orleans
7. Memphis
8. the remaining 8 teams for me can all get the 8th seed really

goose15
07-09-2015, 07:41 AM
Spurs
GS
Houston
OKC
Clipps
Memphis
New Orleans
Utah

word

MonroeFAN
07-09-2015, 07:47 AM

You don't even know how to speak English and you're calling out people for not being experts.

Laugh.

Anyways,

GSW
SA
OKC
LAC
MEM
HOU
DAL
Who cares

magic0320
07-09-2015, 09:03 AM
1. GSW
2. HOU
3. LAC
4. SA - lol another hard 1st round but with home court xD
5. OKC
6. MEM

dont' care about others

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 09:30 AM

No, they don't.....

BKLYNpigeon
07-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Durant won't even be healthy at the beginning of the season.

Clippers still need a bench, especially since Crawford wants out.

Health is the #1 Priority with the sure, I fully expect them to take a lot of days off but still finish top 4 in the west.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 10:03 AM
1. Spurs
2. Warriors
3. Clippers
4. OKC
5. Houston
6. Memphis
7. Pelicans
8. Suns or Utah

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 10:06 AM
1. Spurs
2. Warriors
3. Clippers
4. OKC
5. Houston
6. Memphis
7. Pelicans
8. Suns or Utah

The Spurs still lack some depth and give their older guys so much time off, they aren't catching the sheer win total the Warriors can pump out imo. Your standings look the same as mine, just swap those 2.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 10:06 AM
Durant won't even be healthy at the beginning of the season.

Clippers still need a bench, especially since Crawford wants out.

Health is the #1 Priority with the sure, I fully expect them to take a lot of days off but still finish top 4 in the west.

Our bench has actually improved believe it or not with Wes Johnson and Lance Stephenson who looks like he's gonna bounce back at least some (lost 20 lbs already). Clippers had almost zero wing depth last season. Pierce is also an upgrade over Barnes at SF and Clippers will trade Jamal for a backup big.

OKC is being overrated a bit here. How do they belong in the tier ahead of LAC/Mem/Hou?? I think OKC is in that tier two because every western conference team pretty much improved this summer. I have the tiers at

Spurs
Warriors

Clippers
Thunder
Rockets
Grizzlies

Pelicans

Jazz/Suns

Thing is anyone in that tier two can win the west with health+right matchups.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 10:07 AM
The Spurs still lack some depth and give their older guys so much time off, they aren't catching the sheer win total the Warriors can pump out imo. Your standings look the same as mine, just swap those 2.

Mine is an overall power ranking, not a regular season prediction. I'm including playoffs. But :cheers: anyway

Dade County
07-09-2015, 10:19 AM
1st OKC
2nd GS
3rd Spurs

4th/5th Rockets & LAC

Tony_Starks
07-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Golden State
Spurs
OKC
Clippers
Memphis
Rockets

Everybody else fight for 7,8

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-09-2015, 10:26 AM
Dallas, Phoenix, Utah, and Sacramento will be fighting for the 8th seed. All the other consensus playoff teams will make it.

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 10:28 AM
Dallas, Phoenix, Utah, and Sacramento will be fighting for the 8th seed. All the other consensus playoff teams will make it.

The Kings will be fighting in the locker room, not for 8th seed

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 10:30 AM
The Kings will be fighting in the locker room, not for 8th seed

Rondo/Cousins lol. They've had bad blood before teaming up.

blams
07-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Warriors
Spurs
Thunder
Clippers
Rockets

Rest

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 10:37 AM

throw in Karl. It's going to be hilarious watching that team. It will be like an episode of Oz by midseason in the showers. Without the rape of course..

RLundi
07-09-2015, 10:38 AM
1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Thunder
5. Rockets
6. Grizzlies
7. Pelicans
8. Jazz
9. Suns
10. Lakers
11. Mavericks
12. Kings
13. Timberwolves
14. Blazers
15. Nuggets

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 10:43 AM
Warriors
Spurs
Clips
Thunder
Rockets
Grizz
Pelicans
Suns
Jazz
Mavs
Wolves
Lakers
Blazers
Kings
Nuggets

my guess as of this moment.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 10:45 AM
throw in Karl. It's going to be hilarious watching that team. It will be like an episode of Oz by midseason in the showers. Without the rape of course..

Lmao! BTW Grats on your squad. Along with Bucks you guys have most bad *** young core in NBA. Must watch. Coming for that west crown in 3 years :). Reminds me of run n gun early 00's Clips squad where you guys have all this young, fun, athletic, flashy talent. Just don't lose them like we did! I bet you're stoked.

valade16
07-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Warriors
Spurs
Clips
Thunder
Rockets
Grizz
Pelicans
Suns
Jazz
Mavs
Wolves
Lakers
Blazers
Kings
Nuggets

my guess as of this moment.

It's amazing to me that a team like the Grizzlies, who I think are legitimate contenders for the title, are the 6th seed in the west.

Also, as a Blazer fan I really want to believe this team is better than a lot of the teams being ranked ahead of them, but when I look at the teams the only one I can say for sure we have more talent than is the Nuggets.

Brutal.

JEDean89
07-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Thunder, Warriors, Spurs, Clippers, Rockets are the top tier of the west, seeding will depend on health

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 12:00 PM
It's amazing to me that a team like the Grizzlies, who I think are legitimate contenders for the title, are the 6th seed in the west.

Also, as a Blazer fan I really want to believe this team is better than a lot of the teams being ranked ahead of them, but when I look at the teams the only one I can say for sure we have more talent than is the Nuggets.

Brutal.

the Grizz are more built for the playoffs than churning out 60 regular season wins imo. If that makes sense...

I know dude. Blazers lost 4 starters. Just going to be hard to recover without a very down year.

JazzFanNM
07-09-2015, 12:21 PM
Have Jazz signed some star that i've not noticed? 2 of you have them 8th? No way are they better than Phoenix or Dallas. I wouldn't even rank them ahead of the Lakers or Kings

Not that it matters outside the top 5 because the Conference Finals will be between any 2 of Spurs, Thunder, Warriors, Rockets and Clippers in that order.

If Pels had a 2nd star with Davis, they'd have a shot but not likely to get 1 at this stage.

The Jazz have a loaded young roster and had a really good record post all star break/Kanter trade. Their team defense was best in the league post all star break. Jazz also got rid of a terrible Heach Coach last yr and added an absolute stud Coach in Quinn Snyder. Many many people even outside of Jazz fans believe they will be in the playoffs this yr. think Bucks from last yr.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-09-2015, 12:44 PM

Say what you want, but the team has talent. And also, Rondo and Cousins don't have bad blood with one another btw. Like 2 years ago, Rondo called Cousins the best young player in the league and Cousins said Rondo was the best PG in the league. Cousins hates CP3 with a passion, not Rondo. Anyway, whenever you have a talent like Cousins and you can surround him with some talent, there is always a chance it works out.

But anyway, I don't think Rondo and Cousins will clash. I think if anything, Karl will clash with the two of them (along with Gay). Rondo, Gay, and Cousins are all boys. Karl might get a stroke trying to coach them. But the team has talent... Top 8 Western Conference talent.

I wouldn't rule out the rape though. Anything is possible in Sacramento this year. Karl, Vivek, Rondo, Cousins... A lot of strong personalities that have clashing tendancies.

LakersIn5
07-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Any team can upset though
Who seriously thought before the start of last season that the warriors will won 67 games and get the no.1 seed? For all we know mew orleans might be that team this year

KarlKevinMalone
07-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Was just getting ready to post almost the exact same thing as JazzFan. Like you said they're all young guys and have guys like Gobert and Hood who were playing great the last month of the season. Would not be surprised to see the Jazz in the 46-50 win range next season.

ManRam
07-09-2015, 01:06 PM
1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Thunder

4. Clippers
5. Rockets
6. Grizzlies

7. Pelicans

8. Jazz
9. Suns

10. Mavs
11. Timberwolves
12. Blazers
13. Kings
14. Lakers
15. Nuggets

I think those tiers are pretty well-defined at this point. I think the Pellies are kind of in between tiers right now. I could see them playing up or down to either tbh.

The big picture is mostly the same IMO. The top teams are the same (with OKC's health being the only difference). I think Utah, assuming that defense sustains itself for a whole year, is the team that takes advantage of the weakening of POR and DAL.

I still favor the Warriors because of depth, age and health considerations.

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 01:11 PM
Say what you want, but the team has talent. And also, Rondo and Cousins don't have bad blood with one another btw. Like 2 years ago, Rondo called Cousins the best young player in the league and Cousins said Rondo was the best PG in the league. Cousins hates CP3 with a passion, not Rondo. Anyway, whenever you have a talent like Cousins and you can surround him with some talent, there is always a chance it works out.

But anyway, I don't think Rondo and Cousins will clash. I think if anything, Karl will clash with the two of them (along with Gay). Rondo, Gay, and Cousins are all boys. Karl might get a stroke trying to coach them. But the team has talent... Top 8 Western Conference talent.

I wouldn't rule out the rape though. Anything is possible in Sacramento this year. Karl, Vivek, Rondo, Cousins... A lot of strong personalities that have clashing tendancies.

even a mentally stable Rondo isn't any good. He really slowed down after that knee surgery.

That team doesn't have top 8 talent imo. Not even close.

LakersEaglesLA
07-09-2015, 01:16 PM
I thought this thread was based on all teams being healthy.. If Kobe is healthy all season there is no way the Jazz Suns Mavericks Kings or Pelicans are better the the Lakers.. the Lakers missed over 335 games do to injuries last year.. But I guess since it's the LAKERS it's irrelevant.. Any poster wanna bet me the Lakers won't make playoffs this season. If they don't I will never post again, if they do make playoffs YOU never post again. Im waiting

Gander13SM
07-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Way too difficult to call. Far to early. Rosters aren't even complete.

That being said. I think roughly it will be...

True contenders;

Spurs,
Warriors,
OKC,
Houston.

Possible contenders;

Memphis,

Pretenders (2nd round knockout at best);

New Orleans, Clippers, Mavericks, Portland, Phoenix.

Not making the playoffs but will show improvement;

Minnesota, Utah and Sacramento.

Garbage;

Lakers and Denver.

This could all change with trades and such. Who knows really. Still WAY to early.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-09-2015, 01:26 PM
even a mentally stable Rondo isn't any good. He really slowed down after that knee surgery.

That team doesn't have top 8 talent imo. Not even close.

I'm not gonna bother arguing with you, but injuries and a lack of depth killed this team last year. The Kings record with Cousins out of the lineup was putrid and he missed 23 games. Collison missed 37 games himself and they had no depth behind him (Ramon Sessions is awful). Obviously this team was mentally fragile and that is something they will have to overcome (Cousins in particular... can't give in specifically defensively when things aren't going your way and you go on a little losing streak). But IMO this team has playoff talent for sure. That added depth and interior defense this offseason which were the two biggest needs roster wise.

And I don't think the jury is fully out on Rondo either. He is still only 29 years old. The guy has an insanely high IQ and if his head is on straight and he is relatively healthy, he can still be a useful player.

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 01:31 PM
I'm not gonna bother arguing with you, but injuries and a lack of depth killed this team last year. The Kings record with Cousins out of the lineup was putrid and he missed 23 games. Collison missed 37 games himself and they had no depth behind him (Ramon Sessions is awful). Obviously this team was mentally fragile and that is something they will have to overcome (Cousins in particular... can't give in specifically defensively when things aren't going your way and you go on a little losing streak). But IMO this team has playoff talent for sure. That added depth and interior defense this offseason which were the two biggest needs roster wise.

And I don't think the jury is fully out on Rondo either. He is still only 29 years old. The guy has an insanely high IQ and if his head is on straight and he is relatively healthy, he can still be a useful player.

I think Rondo is the most overrated player of the past 8 seasons, so take my opinion with a slight grain of salt.

I just don't believe in the Kings. Not until they show some sign of functionality. Not to win 48 games anyways.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-09-2015, 01:32 PM
I thought this thread was based on all teams being healthy.. If Kobe is healthy all season there is no way the Jazz Suns Mavericks Kings or Pelicans are better the the Lakers.. the Lakers missed over 335 games do to injuries last year.. But I guess since it's the LAKERS it's irrelevant.. Any poster wanna bet me the Lakers won't make playoffs this season. If they don't I will never post again, if they do make playoffs YOU never post again. Im waiting

Why would I make this bet? I could care less if you never post again. But anyway, the Lakers are way too young and Kobe is way too much of a question mark. Maybe they are better than some of those teams... maybe. But I personally rank them behind all those teams and making the playoffs is a long shot. We don't even know how good Russell and Randle will be yet, on either side of the floor.

Gander13SM
07-09-2015, 01:33 PM
I think Rondo is the most overrated player of the past 8 seasons, so take my opinion with a slight grain of salt.

I just don't believe in the Kings. Not until they show some sign of functionality. Not to win 48 games anyways.

Rondo is the most consistently overrated point guard of the last twenty years.

Sorry but I can't stand the way he plays. Never seen anyone that selfish lead the league in assists.

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 01:34 PM

Kobe is a sub .500 player at this point. He is so bad on defense, and can't get to the rim anymore. The Lakers are not going to be any good man.

nickdymez
07-09-2015, 01:34 PM
Gs
Sas
Okc
Lac
Houston
No

7th 8th will be dog fight. Lakers will challenge for those bottom spots depending on health and the Taj trade. If the Taj trade goes though they could definitely challenge that spot

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 01:41 PM
LMAO sigh... I thought 3 years in the gutter would simmer Lakers fans down at least a LITTLE but nope. They get Hibbert, Bass etc and now they will win it all! Poll on ESPN LA today said Lakers will be better than the Clippers this year with 54 percent going the Lakers way.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-09-2015, 01:41 PM

Me too. I don't believe in them either until they show some sign of functionality, but I still say they have top 8 talent. I don't think Utah, Phoenix, Dallas, Denver, or Portland have as much talent as Sacramento. I don't think LA or Minnesota have as much NBA ready talent. They are just too young.

I don't think it takes 48 wins this year to make the playoffs in the West. NO won 45 games as the 8 seed. Portland got a lot worse and Dallas should win less than 50 this year as well. I think the 7th and 8th seeds in the West get in at like 43 - 45 wins this season.

Agree to disagree on Rondo. I think he can still be useful. I think he can help this team. Others disagree, but I think playing with Cousins and Gay will help Rondo a lot and vice versa. He'll get them the ball and let them do their thing. Most don't realize this, but when fully healthy last year the Kings were like a .500 team. Problem is they had injuries and absolutely no depth at all. Their record without Cousins was putrid. Without Collison, not much better. Gay missed like 14 games as well. Injuries happen, but a lack of serviceable depth makes things so much worse.

Talent is there. When healthy and things are going ok, this team has the talent to beat any team. They are mentally fragile though. They definitely gave in after things went wrong last year. That can't happen. I'm not picking them to make the playoffs personally, but I think they have a better chance than the Lakers. The Kings have more NBA ready talent.

BKdoubleStacker
07-09-2015, 01:42 PM
Wow the west is going to be crazy good next year. Even the worst teams aren't going to be THAT bad

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-09-2015, 01:42 PM
LMAO sigh... I thought 3 years in the gutter would simmer Lakers fans down at least a LITTLE but nope. They get Hibbert, Bass etc and now they will win it all! Poll on ESPN LA today said Lakers will be better than the Clippers this year with 54 percent going the Lakers way.

Lol that is laughable.

Avenged
07-09-2015, 01:43 PM

Championship this season for the Lakers. I don't care what you say bruh

FraziersKnicks
07-09-2015, 01:45 PM

I would happily take this bet (always a positive getting rid of some Lakers homers), but I know as soon as Kobe inevitably misses some games you would back out (even though Kobe MISSING games would actually benefit the Lakers)...

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Rondo is the most consistently overrated point guard of the last twenty years.

Sorry but I can't stand the way he plays. Never seen anyone that selfish lead the league in assists.

He gets underrated when people say stuff like this. I hope he has a comeback season and proves people wrong. I'm not the biggest Rondo fan, but I hope he proves people wrong.

I remember when people were trashing all over Rudy Gay and Josh Smith. Sometimes all it takes is the right fit. People are quick to write certain players off after a couple of bad seasons. Rondo is 29 years old. If he was 35 years old, I'd agree that he is done.

infernoscurse
07-09-2015, 01:49 PM
basketball needs a salary cap cause the Spurs are ruining the game

KarlKevinMalone
07-09-2015, 01:51 PM

I know there's probably a .01% chance of you reading all my reply but here it goes anyway.
Let's look at the Lakers projected depth chart and do our best to predict how many wins those players are going to be able to generate.

The Lakers rotation is probably going to look something like this.
PG D'Angelo Russell- 34 MPG
SG- Jordan Clarkson- 35 MPG
SF-Kobe- 35 MPG
PF-Julius Randle- 34 MPG
C- Roy Hibbert- 30 MPG

G Lou Williams- 25 MPG
G/F Nick Young - 18 MPG
F Brandon Bass- 20 MPG
C Robert Sacre- 9 MPG

Now we can use these players Win Shares per 48 minutes to predict how successful this team will be. For D'Angelo Russell, we'll predict he has a strong rookie season and give him a WS/48 of .088, the same as Damian Lillard had in his rookie year. Expecting Clarkson to improve, we'll up his 14-15 WS/48 15% to .09. We'll be generous to Kobe too, estimating his WS/48 at .165, just .01 less than his 12-13 figure. For Randle, a figure of .11 will be used, a number similar to that of other young, talented big men. For the rest of the rotation, the average of the last two seasons WS/48 will be used. Using these very generous numbers, assuming these 9 players play all 82 games, and not adjusting for conference strength, the Lakers are predicted to win about 44 games. A team with less than 44 wins in a full season has not made the playoffs in the West since 2006-07. I'd be hesitant to make that bet if I were you.

Burkey3472
07-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Elite
Golden State
Spurs
OKC

Contenders
Clippers
Houston
Memphis

Good
Phoenix
New Orleans
Dallas
Utah

Basement
Sacramento
Portland
Lakers
Minnesota
Denver

LakersIn5
07-09-2015, 01:55 PM

Well 30 years in the gutter definitely didnt simmer you down

Avenged
07-09-2015, 01:56 PM
basketball needs a salary cap cause the Spurs are ruining the game

What

tredigs
07-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Our bench has actually improved believe it or not with Wes Johnson and Lance Stephenson who looks like he's gonna bounce back at least some (lost 20 lbs already). Clippers had almost zero wing depth last season. Pierce is also an upgrade over Barnes at SF and Clippers will trade Jamal for a backup big.

OKC is being overrated a bit here. How do they belong in the tier ahead of LAC/Mem/Hou?? I think OKC is in that tier two because every western conference team pretty much improved this summer. I have the tiers at

Spurs
Warriors

Clippers
Thunder
Rockets
Grizzlies

Pelicans

Jazz/Suns

Thing is anyone in that tier two can win the west with health+right matchups.
They have arguably the games best player and another top 6 player + Ibaka/kanter. That team is definitely in the elite tier 1 and very serious threats to win it all if KD stays on the court. Certainly better than LAC.

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 02:12 PM
I know there's probably a .01% chance of you reading all my reply but here it goes anyway.
Let's look at the Lakers projected depth chart and do our best to predict how many wins those players are going to be able to generate.

The Lakers rotation is probably going to look something like this.
PG D'Angelo Russell- 34 MPG
SG- Jordan Clarkson- 35 MPG
SF-Kobe- 35 MPG
PF-Julius Randle- 34 MPG
C- Roy Hibbert- 30 MPG

G Lou Williams- 25 MPG
G/F Nick Young - 18 MPG
F Brandon Bass- 20 MPG
C Robert Sacre- 9 MPG

Now we can use these players Win Shares per 48 minutes to predict how successful this team will be. For D'Angelo Russell, we'll predict he has a strong rookie season and give him a WS/48 of .088, the same as Damian Lillard had in his rookie year. Expecting Clarkson to improve, we'll up his 14-15 WS/48 15% to .09. We'll be generous to Kobe too, estimating his WS/48 at .165, just .01 less than his 12-13 figure. For Randle, a figure of .11 will be used, a number similar to that of other young, talented big men. For the rest of the rotation, the average of the last two seasons WS/48 will be used. Using these very generous numbers, assuming these 9 players play all 82 games, and not adjusting for conference strength, the Lakers are predicted to win about 44 games. A team with less than 44 wins in a full season has not made the playoffs in the West since 2006-07. I'd be hesitant to make that bet if I were you.

I have the Lakers at around 30 wins. Would it shock me to see them win 35-38? Probably not. But I wouldn't put money on that.

nickdymez
07-09-2015, 02:16 PM
I have the Lakers at around 30 wins. Would it shock me to see them win 35-38? Probably not. But I wouldn't put money on that.

SO you think with the additions and subtractions that the lakers only win 5 more games? With a healthy Kobe?

nickdymez
07-09-2015, 02:18 PM
Your a clown. Wassup with you constantly bashing Lakers fans?? You're a ****in Clippers fan bro. Your teams been around 60 years and have 3 winning seasons. Stop it. You can't talk until you tell me what the western conference finals feel like.

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 02:18 PM
SO you think with the additions and subtractions that the lakers only win 5 more games? With a healthy Kobe?

Kobe is a sub .500 player now. Any minute he plays, is one that is under replacement value. Rookies really never contribute to winning historically, outside a few exceptions. The defense will still be so bad, even with Hibbert there. I just don't see them getting near .500 for the year.

It's a prediction in July haha. I am sure my mind will put forth a different projection after I see them play some.

Not sure why any Laker fans are thinking Kobe is going to contribute much to the win column this year.

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Your a clown. Wassup with you constantly bashing Lakers fans?? You're a ****in Clippers fan bro. Your teams been around 60 years and have 3 winning seasons. Stop it. You can't talk until you tell me what the western conference finals feel like.

totally, cause only fans of great teams understand basketball....

KnicksorBust
07-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Warriors / Spurs / OKC

Rox / Clips / Grizz / Pels

Doesn't matter.

This pretty much killed it. There will be 1-2 shocking stories like the Wolves or some rejuvenation Mavs/Lakers possibility but those top 7 are pretty damn strong. The only change is I would make is put the Clips and OKC on the same tier.

KnicksorBust
07-09-2015, 02:21 PM

Yeah why do you and I even post?

KnicksorBust
07-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Whoops time to breathe again

AllBall
07-09-2015, 02:22 PM
1 Warriors
2 Spurs
3 OKC
4 Grizzlies
5 Houston
6 Pelicans
7 Clippers
8 Kings

nickdymez
Kobe is a sub .500 player now. Any minute he plays, is one that is under replacement value. Rookies really never contribute to winning historically, outside a few exceptions. The defense will still be so bad, even with Hibbert there. I just don't see them getting near .500 for the year.

It's a prediction in July haha. I am sure my mind will put forth a different projection after I see them play some.

Not sure why any Laker fans are thinking Kobe is going to contribute much to the win column this year.

Because its silly to think Kobe isn't going to make a big difference. You guys just hate him so much, its hard to be rational. I of course realize Kobe hasn't been the same since his Achilles injury, but i tend to put things in perspective. He hasnt had good teams, coaches, etc around him in 4 years. This teams isnt any contender, but there are some nice players here that can make some noise. Its just hard talking to people who hate the lakers so much...

Hawkeye15
Yeah why do you and I even post?

hey our teams have both made a conference final

nickdymez
07-09-2015, 02:23 PM
No, don't laugh at my team because yours is historically trash. It completely alters ones views. You're a wolves fan so you should understand .

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 02:24 PM
They have arguably the games best player and another top 6 player + Ibaka/kanter. That team is definitely in the elite tier 1 and very serious threats to win it all if KD stays on the court. Certainly better than LAC.

That remains to be seen. In OKC/LAC Clippers statistically outplayed that team and although Kanter is nice on offense, he's HORRID on defense. The Clippers have added a few pieces since OKC added Kanter, OKC hasn't. So no, nothing is certain. The fact that you of all people who's usually fair and logical is making statements like "Certainly better than" before a game has been played shows the tale of how far the mighty have fallen.

Who knows. If they have one lucky break after another like your Warriors did and dodge their 3 biggest threats, Clippers could win it all :).

FraziersKnicks
07-09-2015, 02:25 PM

Was the Lakers season so bad you didn't even watch any of it and you just make up win totals? They won 21 games. I would be HUGELY surprised if they improve by more than 10 wins.

You also need to realise that Kobe is actually a DETRIMENT to your team now. In 1,207 minutes last season he produced exactly 0.2 wins. Of the 238 players that played 1,200+ minutes last season, Kobe was 238th in win shares. No one played that many minutes last season and helped his team win less than Kobe.

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Because its silly to think Kobe isn't going to make a big difference. You guys just hate him so much, its hard to be rational. I of course realize Kobe hasn't been the same since his Achilles injury, but i tend to put things in perspective. He hasnt had good teams, coaches, etc around him in 4 years. This teams isnt any contender, but there are some nice players here that can make some noise. Its just hard talking to people who hate the lakers so much...

it's not hate. It's his age, mileage, the way he was already declining (he stopped going to the rim years ago, and hasn't defended in 3 years), and the injuries he has suffered. He just isn't going to be anywhere near a great NBA player ever again. Might not even be good, even if he throws up 20 a game.

Age never loses man, that is all.

Rookies don't really contribute in year 1. Go back and look at Durant for example. Or almost any rookie in the modern era. They come in too young now from a watered down NCAA. Hibbert is SO bad offensively. Clarkson was a nice rookie, but what are you expecting out of him?

I just don't see a squad that will be playing meaningful games the last 1/3rd of the season when I look at that roster right now.

Htownballa1622
07-09-2015, 02:27 PM
"My team was awesome. Yours mostly sucks. You can't talk. Ringzzzzz"

:laugh2:

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 02:28 PM
"My team was awesome. Yours mostly sucks. You can't talk. Ringzzzzz"

:laugh2:

Let me guess.. Lakers fans and a couple Warriors fans now?

nickdymez
07-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Bottom line your teams are garbage

nickdymez
07-09-2015, 02:30 PM
it's not hate. It's his age, mileage, the way he was already declining (he stopped going to the rim years ago, and hasn't defended in 3 years), and the injuries he has suffered. He just isn't going to be anywhere near a great NBA player ever again. Might not even be good, even if he throws up 20 a game.

Rookies don't really contribute in year 1. Go back and look at Durant for example. Or almost any rookie in the modern era. They come in too young now from a watered down NCAA. Hibbert is SO bad offensively. Clarkson was a nice rookie, but what are you expecting out of him?

I just don't see a squad that will be playing meaningful games the last 1/3rd of the season when I look at that roster right now.
Understandable. We will see what happens.

ManRam
07-09-2015, 02:32 PM

The last year Kobe was healthy they were a 7 seed...and that was all the way back in 2012-13 with considerably more talent and before he suffered multiple SERIOUS injuries and aged a couple years.

They were 10-25 with him last year and 2-4 the year before. I don't think there's much backing your claim.

They're a very young team. Randle is basically a rookie. Russell IS a rookie. Hibbert has a lot to prove. They're very thin at the 3. There's a ton of risk/unknowns in that roster...risk at basically every single starting spot.

Vee-Rex
07-09-2015, 02:33 PM
Not sure how people can even put the Warriors as anything but top 2. If you want to put OKC in the top elite tier (I disagree), fine, I can understand... but no way are they over the Warriors/Spurs.

1. Warriors
2. Spurs

3. Thunder/Clippers
4. Clippers/Thunder
5. Grizzlies
6. Rockets
7. Pelicans

I understand people putting the Spurs as 1. I think they could've beat GS this year had they faced them, but, despite how well a depleted Cavs team played them, GS is still super scary offensively and defensively. They're the champs, they earned the number one spot.

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Understandable. We will see what happens.

yeah I mean Randle by all accounts is a rookie. But, he will have sat on an NBA bench, seen the travel, the practice, and probably did get some court time in practice at some point super late last season. He may indeed have a "Griffin" lite type of rookie season (even though he isn't technically a rookie). Maybe Kobe takes more of a mentor role instead of gunning for scoring records (I don't see it personally, but who knows). Maybe their bench, now with either Clarkson, or Russell, along with Young, has good production.

There are a ton of factors. I could be way off, I am just looking the lineup up and down, and looking at the competition out west, and making a call.

nickdymez
07-09-2015, 02:38 PM
yeah I mean Randle by all accounts is a rookie. But, he will have sat on an NBA bench, seen the travel, the practice, and probably did get some court time in practice at some point super late last season. He may indeed have a "Griffin" lite type of rookie season (even though he isn't technically a rookie). Maybe Kobe takes more of a mentor role instead of gunning for scoring records (I don't see it personally, but who knows). Maybe their bench, now with either Clarkson, or Russell, along with Young, has good production.

There are a ton of factors. I could be way off, I am just looking the lineup up and down, and looking at the competition out west, and making a call.
Listen man we disagree alot, but I feel you. I think Kobe will play the mentor role. He knows he's not winning a title this year. He already got the scoring record he wanted (which is the sole reason for his gunning last season). Hibbert, if they get Taj, gives us defense in the interior. We'll see.

Sactown
07-09-2015, 02:38 PM
GSW
Spurs
Clips
OKC
Rockets
Grizz
Pelis
Kings/Suns/Mavs
Utah
Timberwolves
Lakers

Gander13SM
07-09-2015, 02:42 PM
He gets underrated when people say stuff like this. I hope he has a comeback season and proves people wrong. I'm not the biggest Rondo fan, but I hope he proves people wrong.

I remember when people were trashing all over Rudy Gay and Josh Smith. Sometimes all it takes is the right fit. People are quick to write certain players off after a couple of bad seasons. Rondo is 29 years old. If he was 35 years old, I'd agree that he is done.

Even in his "good" seasons I think he was garbage. He's an awful player and even worse point guard. Horribly overrated. Not a good playmaker.

But hey. That's just me.

Lo Porto
07-09-2015, 02:53 PM
I love people sleeping on the Jazz. They were .660+ over the last 30 games last season. They have one of the best defenses in the league. They have length and athleticism. The 2nd half record was without key playmaker Alec Burks. They added a lottery pick and probably 2 proven Euros (Pleiss and Neto).

Most importantly, they have an excellent player development driven coach in Quin Snyder who will have an entire off season to work.

The Utah Jazz will be a force. It's not a matter of if but when.

flea
07-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Spurs
Warriors
Thunder
Clippers
Rockets
Grizzlies

Pels
Suns
Mavs

Kings
Jazz

T Wolves
Blazers
Nuggets
Lakers

Don't think any of those bottom 4 have much of a shot at the playoffs, but definitely the Timberwolves have the best among them. Still think it would take injuries to Dirk, Tyson Chandler, and a complete flop by either Jazz or Kings for that to happen. Jazz and Kings have a shot but I like the depth of the Suns over both of them.

Warriors are the champs but I think it's clear the Spurs are the team to beat. Their frontcourt is now the clear-cut best in the league, they have perimeter defenders that are likely better than the Warriors, and they can match up well with any kind of team. Guard play still has to be a question considering how bad it was vs. the Clippers, but that frontcourt could move into 80s Celtics territory if guys stay healthy.

The other 4 playoff locks after those 2 are basically tossups, and if I had to guess right now who the 7th and 8th seeds would be I'd say Pels and Suns.

Red_Pill
07-09-2015, 02:55 PM
1. Spurs
2. Warriors
3. Clippers
4. OKC
5. Houston
6. Memphis
7. Pelicans
8. Suns or Utah

Clippers ahead of OKC? lol

1. Warriors
2. OKC
3. Spurs
4. Houston
5. Clippers
6. Memphis
7. Pelicans
8. Sacremento or Utah

Red_Pill
07-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Not sure how people can even put the Warriors as anything but top 2. If you want to put OKC in the top elite tier (I disagree), fine, I can understand... but no way are they over the Warriors/Spurs.

Why shouldn't OKC be in the elite tier? Durants recovery is going along as planned. He'll be healthy for the start of the season most likely. Westbrook improved tremendously. They finally have a bench (one of their big issues) and now they have added a low-post scorer who can give them 20/10. Plus, a new coach who will probably do away with the isolation heavy offense from the past few years. OKC, as long as they remain healthy, are as good as anyone in the league.

kyubi256
07-09-2015, 03:05 PM
I don't know how I feel about okc being that high. Sure KD is back, but let them prove he's 100% first

Bruno
07-09-2015, 03:07 PM
GS
OKC
SAS
LAC
HOU
UTH
MEM
NOP

MY WC bracket prediction. I'm very bullish on the Jazz. I think Pop manages minutes and that GS and OKC still finishes with a better regular season record. But I'd take SAS in a best of seven against anyone as of now.

Red_Pill
07-09-2015, 03:11 PM

Firstly, Wes Johnson sucks. Stephenson is good and I hope he has a bounce back year.

With that said, OKC belongs in that tier because they still managed to win 45 games (while only missing the playoffs because of an incredible shot by Anthony Davis) last season while Durant missed 55 games, Westbrook missed 15, Ibaka missed 18, and countless amount of injuries suffered by key role players.

100% OKC means they have the 2nd best player in the NBA, an MVP caliber player in Russell Westbrook, one of the best defensive big men in the game in Serge Ibaka, and a low-post threat in Enes Kanter who can put up 20/10 every game. Plus a bench with solid role players.

As a Clippers fan, you should remember what we did to your team a couple seasons ago in the playoffs. With a worse team.

Red_Pill
07-09-2015, 03:12 PM
I don't know how I feel about okc being that high. Sure KD is back, but let them prove he's 100% first

By all accounts, everything is going perfect with his recovery. He can start doing things other than shooting starting in August.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-09-2015, 03:17 PM

I always laugh at this. If a Knicks fan or a Wolves fan or a Kings fan says the Lakers suck... that doesn't mean it isn't true just because we root for a bad team. The Lakers are still bad. I know what a good team looks like. I watch basketball. I watch other teams play... like the Spurs and Warriors. So yeah, I know what a Western Conference Finals team looks like and the Lakers do not look like one.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Firstly, Wes Johnson sucks. Stephenson is good and I hope he has a bounce back year.

With that said, OKC belongs in that tier because they still managed to win 45 games (while only missing the playoffs because of an incredible shot by Anthony Davis) last season while Durant missed 55 games, Westbrook missed 15, Ibaka missed 18, and countless amount of injuries suffered by key role players.

100% OKC means they have the 2nd best player in the NBA, an MVP caliber player in Russell Westbrook, one of the best defensive big men in the game in Serge Ibaka, and a low-post threat in Enes Kanter who can put up 20/10 every game. Plus a bench with solid role players.

As a Clippers fan, you should remember what we did to your team a couple seasons ago in the playoffs. With a worse team.

What I remember is historically bad reffing saving you guys from going down 3-2 in the last 40 seconds of a game, in which the Donald Sterling bomb had just been dropped on the team in the middle of the Warriors series. Statistically the Clippers outplayed OKC that series. Clippers had injury woes that series and were actually the lower seed. So how the hell was OKC considered the worse team when Clippers were heavy underdogs?

Bottom line is OKC doesn't get declared as elite when they haven't proven it. What they have done 3 years ago doesn't matter right now. They are in the contender tier right there with Clippers/Rockets/Grizzlies, below the Spurs and Warriors. I predict OKC will be 3 or 4, so I'm still giving props, but don't put down other teams who did more than yours last year. Yes you had guys injured and guess what? The Clippers have been PLAGUED with injuries pretty much every year. Hell last year Griffin was down 25 games himself. Crawford 20 games.

Bruno
07-09-2015, 03:19 PM
The last year Kobe was healthy they were a 7 seed...and that was all the way back in 2012-13

In 2012-2013 the Lakers opening night starters combined to miss 82 games throughout the regular season. they barley made the playoffs but not of any fault of their own.

about 2% chance that the Lakers make the playoffs. it would require a fortunate trade and injuries in the top 8.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-09-2015, 03:19 PM
I think the Clippers are better, but I still can't see them winning the West. I'd rank OKC ahead of them based on the mere chance that Durant is healthy.

Clippers are in the same tier as Houston and Memphis. I'd even put NO in that tier. Good teams, but not quite good enough.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Going into last season pretty much NOBODY picked the Warriors to dominate the season or win the title. Leave this for the court. I'm all for the fun guessing games as long as everybody understands that it's up in the air, nothing guaranteed and EXTREMELY competitive. This is why I can't stand when people making predictions in here like Tredigs and Red_Pill speak in absolutes such as "No chance so and so will be better" or "So and so is definitely better". Bottom line is you're talking out of your *** if you do that.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-09-2015, 03:22 PM
What I remember is historically bad reffing saving you guys from going down 3-2 in the last 40 seconds of a game, in which the Donald Sterling bomb had just been dropped on the team in the middle of the Warriors series. Statistically the Clippers outplayed OKC that series. Clippers had injury woes that series and were actually the lower seed. So how the hell was OKC considered the worse team when Clippers were heavy underdogs?

Bottom line is OKC doesn't get declared as elite when they haven't proven it. What they have done 3 years ago doesn't matter right now. They are in the contender tier right there with Clippers/Rockets/Grizzlies, below the Spurs and Warriors. I predict OKC will be 3 or 4, so I'm still giving props, but don't put down other teams who did more than yours last year. Yes you had guys injured and guess what? The Clippers have been PLAGUED with injuries pretty much every year. Hell last year Griffin was down 25 games himself. Crawford 20 games.

OKC at full health is top 3. They just haven't been at full health.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 03:23 PM
I think the Clippers are better, but I still can't see them winning the West. I'd rank OKC ahead of them based on the mere chance that Durant is healthy.

Clippers are in the same tier as Houston and Memphis. I'd even put NO in that tier. Good teams, but not quite good enough.

That remains to be seen. I do know that I can't wait to see another year of growth in Blake and how PP/Lance mesh.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 03:23 PM
OKC at full health is top 3. They just haven't been at full health.

I don't think that's a reach either. I personally feel at the 3 spot OKC/LAC is going to be competitive. I just don't like the comments suggesting that it's already a done deal.

Red_Pill
07-09-2015, 03:24 PM
That remains to be seen. In OKC/LAC Clippers statistically outplayed that team and although Kanter is nice on offense, he's HORRID on defense. The Clippers have added a few pieces since OKC added Kanter, OKC hasn't. So no, nothing is certain. The fact that you of all people who's usually fair and logical is making statements like "Certainly better than" before a game has been played shows the tale of how far the mighty have fallen.

Who knows. If they have one lucky break after another like your Warriors did and dodge their 3 biggest threats, Clippers could win it all :).

Kanter doesn't need to be a defensive stud. Just needs to be a low-post threat and rebound the basketball. Which he does very well. We have Adams, Ibaka, and Collison to help in the paint. We didn't add anyone this offseason because we did it during the season. We added DJ Augustin, Kyle Singler, and Steve Novak to add to our bench. Because of this, we didn't need to make any additions this offseason, though we may be involved in a trade before the season starts.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-09-2015, 03:25 PM
And BTW I think its bogus to say Rondo wasn't good before his knee injury. He certainly was good. I don't know if he will be good now, but to say he has never been one of the better point guards in this league... well I disagree with that.

Gander13SM
I love people sleeping on the Jazz. They were .660+ over the last 30 games last season. They have one of the best defenses in the league. They have length and athleticism. The 2nd half record was without key playmaker Alec Burks. They added a lottery pick and probably 2 proven Euros (Pleiss and Neto).

Most importantly, they have an excellent player development driven coach in Quin Snyder who will have an entire off season to work.

The Utah Jazz will be a force. It's not a matter of if but when.

The Jazz are going to be solid. But I think it takes them another year.

Plus they're in the West. I doubt they make the playoffs next season. I expect them to be pushing for a low seed though.

Clippersfan86
People in here counting on OKC keeping Kanter and he just signed a max offer sheet with Portland. OKC has proven to be cheap many times, let's see if they are willing to pay 40 million this year in TAXES for Kanter alone.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Kanter doesn't need to be a defensive stud. Just needs to be a low-post threat and rebound the basketball. Which he does very well. We have Adams, Ibaka, and Collison to help in the paint. We didn't add anyone this offseason because we did it during the season. We added DJ Augustin, Kyle Singler, and Steve Novak to add to our bench. Because of this, we didn't need to make any additions this offseason, though we may be involved in a trade before the season starts.

Collison is done at this point. Adams and Ibaka are very nice players.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 03:29 PM
PS Red Pill I already said OKC has arguably the best paper roster. No knocking them from me. Let's just avoid locking them into 3 seed or better and disrespecting other teams in the summer league.

flea
07-09-2015, 03:32 PM
Really doubt OKC pays Kanter and I wouldn't either. Good rebounder and post man but total liability on defense, to the extent where I'd think he might fall out of Donovan's rotation. Biggest difference to me for OKC is Donovan. People think Stevens is a good coach, well Donovan is better and much more experienced. He is going to want to play Durant at the 4 a good amount and he is a top defensive coach.

It is still a talent league but nobody denies the Thunder's talent. Adding a coach of Donovan's caliber is an even bigger step for a team like that than adding a good bench piece. I don't believe there's a huge difference between the top 7-10 coaches in the league, but if you don't have one of those you try your damndest to get one and Donovan is certainly one.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Really doubt OKC pays Kanter and I wouldn't either. Good rebounder and post man but total liability on defense, to the extent where I'd think he might fall out of Donovan's rotation. Biggest difference to me for OKC is Donovan. People think Stevens is a good coach, well Donovan is better and much more experienced. He is going to want to play Durant at the 4 a good amount and he is a top defensive coach.

It is still a talent league but nobody denies the Thunder's talent. Adding a coach of Donovan's caliber is an even bigger step for a team like that than adding a good bench piece. I don't believe there's a huge difference between the top 7-10 coaches in the league, but if you don't have one of those you try your damndest to get one and Donovan is certainly one.

Actually I forgot that's another reason I DOUBT they will just dominate day one. David Blatt was supposedly a brilliant coach too, but NBA basketball is a different beast than college or overseas. Rookie NBA coach to control huge egos on a star studded squad. You can't say he's better than anyone until we see him coach. Know how much hype I read by all media outlets about David Blatt lol?

Red_Pill
07-09-2015, 03:36 PM

I'm saying OKC beat you in 2014. OKC, if they remain healthy, are significantly improved from that 2014 team that beat your Clips. Yes, your team has improved and made additions, but OKC fixed it's big issues of lack of a bench, lack of a low-post scorer, and lack of a coach who preaches ball-movement. OKC has all of those now. OKC just needs to remain healthy and everyone will see what their potential truly is.

As far as I'm concerned, the Clippers aren't a true contender. Rockets/Memphis have at least sniffed a Western Conference Finals. The Clippers haven't even made it out of the second round and blew a 3-1 lead in these last playoffs. It's crazy you're considering the Clips above OKC, who made the WCF in 2014, and who have fixed all of their weaknesses since then. You're not giving them any credit.

alexander_37
07-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Keep underrating the Rockets.

D-Mo
Capela
Jones

are all young imrpoving players.

Beverly was out for alot of the season and they had Terry/Priggi starting :laugh:

and they add Dekker who looks NBA ready.

Red_Pill
07-09-2015, 03:38 PM
People in here counting on OKC keeping Kanter and he just signed a max offer sheet with Portland. OKC has proven to be cheap many times, let's see if they are willing to pay 40 million this year in TAXES for Kanter alone.

OKC has said they will match it. Plus, this is Durants last year under contract. Of course they will match it.

Royce Young had a really good article a few days ago about the Thunder being cheap the last few years and the reasons why. You should read it.

sixers247
07-09-2015, 03:38 PM

I'd take this bet in a heart beat lol, no way the Lakers sniff the playoffs.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 03:40 PM
I'm saying OKC beat you in 2014. OKC, if they remain healthy, are significantly improved from that 2014 team that beat your Clips. Yes, your team has improved and made additions, but OKC fixed it's big issues of lack of a bench, lack of a low-post scorer, and lack of a coach who preaches ball-movement. OKC has all of those now. OKC just needs to remain healthy and everyone will see what their potential truly is.

As far as I'm concerned, the Clippers aren't a true contender. Rockets/Memphis have at least sniffed a Western Conference Finals. The Clippers haven't even made it out of the second round and blew a 3-1 lead in these last playoffs. It's crazy you're considering the Clips above OKC, who made the WCF in 2014, and who have fixed all of their weaknesses since then. You're not giving them any credit.

Not giving them credit? Jesus I said they are a legit contender. I said them and Clippers I have at 3 and 4 as a tossup as prediction. I'm aware that I could be dead wrong, which is why unlike you I'm not acting like it's a forgone conclusion. What I saw last of OKC wasn't enough for me to just assume everything is going to be great and they are going to compete with the title. I don't know how it will shake out between the top 6 in the west but I sure as hell WILL NOT count anyone out or lock it in like you.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Keep underrating the Rockets.

D-Mo
Capela
Jones

are all young imrpoving players.

Beverly was out for alot of the season and they had Terry/Priggi starting :laugh:

and they add Dekker who looks NBA ready.

Houston is definitely a threat. It's crazy how cocky people are being in acting like there is some huge gap between these teams. The 6 or 7 seed in the west can feasibly upset the 1 or 2 seed. Pelicans got swept but were in pretty much every game and choked two away for example.

Red_Pill
07-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Collison is done at this point. Adams and Ibaka are very nice players.

He can still take charges and do the little things. That's all we need him to do.

alexander_37
07-09-2015, 03:43 PM
Houston is definitely a threat. It's crazy how cocky people are being in acting like there is some huge gap between these teams. The 6 or 7 seed in the west can feasibly upset the 1 or 2 seed. Pelicans got swept but were in pretty much every game and choked two away for example.

I think Dekker will be a huge add, he looks like Parsons with a higher ceiling.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 03:44 PM
I think Dekker will be a huge add, he looks like Parsons with a higher ceiling.

I know the feeling. I've loved what I've seen from our rookie too. He's averaging a double double to go with like 3 bpg/2 spg in the summer league as a 6'6 player. People are calling him a better defending Kenneth Faried, but we shall see.

Red_Pill
07-09-2015, 03:44 PM
PS Red Pill I already said OKC has arguably the best paper roster. No knocking them from me. Let's just avoid locking them into 3 seed or better and disrespecting other teams in the summer league.

You did make a good point. We will have to play the games to know who is truly better. Anything can happen in the NBA.

valade16
07-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Actually I forgot that's another reason I DOUBT they will just dominate day one. David Blatt was supposedly a brilliant coach too, but NBA basketball is a different beast than college or overseas. Rookie NBA coach to control huge egos on a star studded squad. You can't say he's better than anyone until we see him coach. Know how much hype I read by all media outlets about David Blatt lol?

Maybe not the best example to bring up the rookie coach who went to the Finals.

Heck, this year is a bad year for your point as both coaches in the finals were rookie head coaches lol.

Red_Pill
07-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Really doubt OKC pays Kanter and I wouldn't either. Good rebounder and post man but total liability on defense.

They will pay Kanter. They pretty much have to. This is Durants last hurrah with the team potentially, and they need to do whatever it takes to get Kanter. He's trash on the defensive end, but like I said earlier, we have Ibaka and Adams who can both play alongside him and make sure the paint and rim are protected. OKC needs Kanter's low-post offense and rebounding if they're going to make a run this year.

It's an overpay right now, but at least the cap will go up and signing him to a max won't hamper their ability to sign KD next year and Westbrook the year after.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Maybe not the best example to bring up the rookie coach who went to the Finals.

Heck, this year is a bad year for your point as both coaches in the finals were rookie head coaches lol.

Not really. Both teams were so stacked that any coach could have pulled it off IMO. Both had pretty untested runs in their respective conference en route to the finals. Neither of them played a team that could really give them problems. Kerr I will admit was a great rookie coach from the look of it, Blatt was a laughing stock and disrespected all season long.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 03:51 PM
In other words.. it was incredible luck that the two finals teams had rookie coaches, doesn't mean it's still not a steep learning curve and doesn't usually work.

alexander_37
07-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Kobe could have a massive resurgence ( lol not happening ) and they would still miss the playoffs.

Jeez Laker fans are delusional. Like that dude that said the Mavs are 12 wins better than the rockets.

KnicksorBust
07-09-2015, 04:06 PM
The best part about this thread is reading all the people getting defensive about their teams. "KEEP SLEEPING ON THE (rockets/lakers/jazz/etc.)!! That is what we want!!! We got da best rookies!!! And we signed 2-3 vet free agents!!"

Teeboy1487
07-09-2015, 04:10 PM
Kobe could have a massive resurgence ( lol not happening ) and they would still miss the playoffs.

Jeez Laker fans are delusional. Like that dude that said the Mavs are 12 wins better than the rockets.
Once again this forum generalizing Laker fans. I don't see us making it this year either and alot of Laker fans feel this way. Heck, three of our potential starters are also starting the summer league. We are still a year or 2 away.

Lo Porto
07-09-2015, 04:12 PM
The best part about this thread is reading all the people getting defensive about their teams. "KEEP SLEEPING ON THE (rockets/lakers/jazz/etc.)!! That is what we want!!! We got da best rookies!!! And we signed 2-3 vet free agents!!"

The Jazz will be nasty. They have a "team" and aren't going to rely on one guy every night. I fully expect the playoffs from this team.

LakersEaglesLA
07-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Bet is Official

nickdymez
07-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Once again this forum generalizing Laker fans. I don't see us making it this year either and alot of Laker fans feel this way. Heck, three of our potential starters are also starting the summer league. We are still a year or 2 away.
The Lakers will try and compete and I believe they will have the tools to compete this season. For a playoff spot. People kill me man. If the Lakers had LeBron, cousins, khawai, curry, and Bob Rodriguez, haters would still come out and say "the Lakers might not be any good because they have Bob Rodriguez." I don't understand why Lakers fans aren't allowed to hold out some sort of optimism.

Teeboy1487
07-09-2015, 04:17 PM
The Jazz will be nasty. They have a "team" and aren't going to rely on one guy every night. I fully expect the playoffs from this team.

They do have a nice roster. I wonder how Burks is progressing in his recovery?

tredigs
07-09-2015, 04:21 PM

We've seen OKC at their best and they're incredibly strong, and we know for a fact KD and Westbrook can lead a team to the Finals. The Clips with DJ are very strong also, but statistically and eye test wise OKC is better. Kanter's D is less of an issue given the lack of talented centers and Ibaka's ability to shore up his weaknesses. He's still a net+ for them and makes it very, very tough to guard them. Without HCA I don't know that the Warriors would beat them.

Gander13SM
07-09-2015, 04:23 PM
Not really. Both teams were so stacked that any coach could have pulled it off IMO. Both had pretty untested runs in their respective conference en route to the finals. Neither of them played a team that could really give them problems. Kerr I will admit was a great rookie coach from the look of it, Blatt was a laughing stock and disrespected all season long.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this. Any coach could have won that Warriors team a championship? No way. Their last coach for example couldn't.

Kerrs motion offense with the triangle offense thrown in changed everything for the Warriors offense. Defensively they were pretty set but it seems like Ron Adams had Steph buy in to defending guys more often and with more effort.

The cohesiveness. The ball movement. Player movement. The adjustments in the post season. The management of players minutes. The improvement from Festus offensively (he added that little hook shot) and the improvements offensively from other guys. Getting the most out of role players like Speights and Barbosa. And on top of that, the recruiting of guys like Gentry and Barbosa. They wouldn't be there if it wasn't for Kerr.

Kerr is already a better coach than Rivers imo. As a Clippers fan you will disagree but I'm sorry, it seems blatantly obvious to me just watching the offensive sets the Warriors were running. It trumps anything I've ever seen from Rivers. But that could be credited to Gentry? Hard to say I guess. Maybe we'll find out this year.

I watched Blatt coach in Europe. He's a great coach and I think he's nba ready however I do think he struggles with managing the egos. I don't think Blatt is the problem. I think LeBron is. But that's maybe just me.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 04:24 PM
We've seen OKC at their best and they're incredibly strong, and we know for a fact KD and Westbrook can lead a team to the Finals. The Clips with DJ are very strong also, but statistically and eye test wise OKC is better. Kanter's D is less of an issue given the lack of talented centers and Ibaka's ability to shore up his weaknesses. He's still a net+ for them and makes it very, very tough to guard them. Without HCA I don't know that the Warriors would beat them.

There is the Tre I remember. I don't disagree with this. I just don't want people counting out or locking teams in during the summer league. This is when I get most motivated as a fan for the season because everyone is counting each other out. You should understand because going into last season I don't remember ANYBODY including Warriors fans picking them to win the title, let alone run the table on the league during regular season.

Gander13SM
07-09-2015, 04:27 PM

Kanters lack of defense is no more an issue than DJs lack of offense.

I agree. OKC are superior to the Clippers at full health. And I'm intrigued to see what the new coach does with him. However, I'm not convinced they have the depth to rest starters often enough to keep them healthy (by rest I don't mean sitting out entire games but restricting minutes).

When healthy they're better. But I question the ability of them to stay healthy.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 04:28 PM
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this. Any coach could have won that Warriors team a championship? No way. Their last coach for example couldn't.

Kerrs motion offense with the triangle offense thrown in changed everything for the Warriors offense. Defensively they were pretty set but it seems like Ron Adams had Steph buy in to defending guys more often and with more effort.

The cohesiveness. The ball movement. Player movement. The adjustments in the post season. The management of players minutes. The improvement from Festus offensively (he added that little hook shot) and the improvements offensively from other guys. Getting the most out of role players like Speights and Barbosa. And on top of that, the recruiting of guys like Gentry and Barbosa. They wouldn't be there if it wasn't for Kerr.

Kerr is already a better coach than Rivers imo. As a Clippers fan you will disagree but I'm sorry, it seems blatantly obvious to me just watching the offensive sets the Warriors were running. It trumps anything I've ever seen from Rivers. But that could be credited to Gentry? Hard to say I guess. Maybe we'll find out this year.

I watched Blatt coach in Europe. He's a great coach and I think he's nba ready however I do think he struggles with managing the egos. I don't think Blatt is the problem. I think LeBron is. But that's maybe just me.

ANYONE is obviously hyperbole. Your gardener for example couldn't. But any halfway decent coach could get a team as stacked/talented as the Warriors/Cavs to the finals. I admitted Kerr looks like something of a prodigy, but he's an outlier. Not the norm. A big portion of the credit of Warriors system should go through Alvin Gentry who even Warriors players, Kerr and rivals have admitted is the offensive mastermand.

I bash Doc all season long, so I don't think he's the best coach or anything, but I want to see more out of Kerr before claiming him to be a good coach on his own standing. Easy to be a good coach when you have one of the most versatile, greatest rosters in NBA history. How good of a coach will he be when not so stacked like we've seen of Pop for example who can still win games with 3rd and 4th stringers at times?

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 04:28 PM

what are you looking for from the Lakers this year, as it pertains to going forward?

Lo Porto
07-09-2015, 04:32 PM
They do have a nice roster. I wonder how Burks is progressing in his recovery?

Supposedly ready for camp.

And even though I'm a Jazz fan, don't listen to the Laker haters. Randle and Russell will be good. With time, LA will be good again.

tredigs
07-09-2015, 04:36 PM
I'm actually looking at Kanter's RPM last year and his D rated so poorly that it does in fact rate him as a net negative. That said, that's only a partial year sample that did not include playing with KD, and he's a potent enough option offensively that the lack of defensive support that other teams are now afforded (as opposed to when they could slide off of Perk and help out) is a huge positive for other OKC options. That offense is going to be really scary next season.

My hope is just that all the teams are healthy next year. And you'll probably need to win 58 games to have HCA in the West. I could see three 60+ win teams.

Htownballa1622
07-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Let me guess.. Lakers fans and a couple Warriors fans now?

Lol. Haven't seen the Warriors fans. They must be on vacation basking in glory (deservedly so).

Still those "certain" fans lol

LakersEaglesLA
07-09-2015, 04:40 PM

That's ok you think the Lakers are two years away, but don't attack or say Lakers fans that think we can make the playoffs this yer delusional.. It's my opinion and we will soon find out who is right

Chronz
07-09-2015, 04:44 PM

False, DJ is actually efficient offensively, whereas Kanters lack of defensive efficiency is what forces teams to attack him. Imagine if teams could force us to go to DJ all the time, his lack of skill would be exposed, except that we have better options. Defensively, its harder to hide that deficiency because everyone looks to attack him.

Chronz
07-09-2015, 04:46 PM
That's ok you think the Lakers are two years away, but don't attack or say Lakers fans that think we can make the playoffs this yer delusional.. It's my opinion and we will soon find out who is right

To be fair, hes prolly encountered Laker fans who felt the same way last year, I know I have. And while anything is possible, that doesn't mean we ignore the probabilities. Its likely you guys are out of the playoffs, even being .500 is generous and that wont get you in IMO.

Gander13SM
07-09-2015, 04:54 PM
False, DJ is actually efficient offensively, whereas Kanters lack of defensive efficiency is what forces teams to attack him. Imagine if teams could force us to go to DJ all the time, his lack of skill would be exposed, except that we have better options. Defensively, its harder to hide that deficiency because everyone looks to attack him.

He's efficient because he takes hardly any shots and the vast majority are alley oops. It's easier to be an efficient 7 foot offensive player than it is to be an efficient 7ft defender.

I'm saying DJs lack of offensive skill. He can't shoot. He has absolutely no post moves. He's a terrible offensive player in a system that covers his flaws and uses his athleticism as much as possible.

And the center position is so weak, let guys attack Kanter. I can only think of 3 centers in the entire league that are valuable enough offensively that it would be an issue. Ibaka can pick up all the cutters.

Teams have succeeded with weak interior defenders before and they can do it again. As long as your other players are on point defensively.

The bigger issue may be the lack of perimeter defense, allowing guys to penetrate and forcing Kanter to help. Aside from KD they don't have any great perimeter defenders. Westy is athletic and aggressive but he overplays people a lot and shoots the gap way to often. (Imo)

Teeboy1487
07-09-2015, 05:06 PM
what are you looking for from the Lakers this year, as it pertains to going forward? The focus this year should be recovery and development. The Lakers need to show the basketball world that this franchise is ready to compete. We have to attract more free agents. Tanking just isn't good for attracting big names in free agency. Notice the Sixers have not signed one free agent this offseason(maybe by choice). The key is developing our young players. I have already conceded that the Lakers will be giving Philly a lottery pick (****ing Nash Trade). The goal for me as fan is to see the Lakers be as competitive as possible. I would feel much better if the Lakers were to give Philly a pick in the 11-14 range than anything 10 or higher. I just hope the Lakers compete.

Supposedly ready for camp.

And even though I'm a Jazz fan, don't listen to the Laker haters. Randle and Russell will be good. With time, LA will be good again.
Thanks man.

ManRam
07-09-2015, 10:46 PM

Not to be rude or anything, but this is one of the more preposterous claims I've seen here.

DAJ doesn't hurt the Clippers offensively. In fact, he's a net +...and in a big way. He's TREMENDOUS in the pick and roll, he never takes bad shots and he's an otherworldly offensive rebounder. Sure, he's limited in terms of range, but the Clippers manage that fine.

Kanter on the other hand is a dumpster fire on defense and the Thunder were better with him off the court than on it last year. He's perhaps the league's worst interior defender.

The numbers:

With Kanter on the court the Tunder posted a 111.7 defensive rating. With him off of it it dropped to 103.9. A 111.7 defensive rating gets you the second worst mark in the NBA. A 103.9 gets you in the top-10. That's mighty significant.

The Clippers with DAJ on the court posted a 117.6 offensive rating. When he left it PLUMMETED down to 101.2. That's literally ABSURD. Not only is his "lack of defense" not a problem, but it's actually a tremendous asset. Dude posted the second best offensive rating in the NBA. He lead all centers in ORPM.

He's not Shaq, but the Clippers utilize him tremendously and he helps in big ways, despite only attempting <7 shots a game and bricking every FT.

EDIT: I skipped everything in this thread after I read your post...sorry if this has all been discussed already.

tredigs
07-09-2015, 10:52 PM
ManRam, change your sig or leave bud. That **** is annoying and honestly pathetic to look at.

ManRam
07-09-2015, 11:00 PM
ManRam, change your sig or leave bud. That **** is annoying and honestly pathetic to look at.

Precisely the reaction I'd hope it would elicit!

I shall stay, and not change it. Just hide sigs like any sane person here would do!

tredigs
07-09-2015, 11:03 PM
Precisely the reaction I'd hope it would elicit!

I shall stay, and not change it. Just hide sigs like any sane person here would do!

I actually have always had them hid, but took them off today. I knew that would be your response, but... why? Such a pathetic stance.

tredigs
07-09-2015, 11:05 PM
You're a smart kid with intelligent takes on a variety of issues... don't succumb to LCD responses for attention.

Teeboy1487
07-09-2015, 11:08 PM
OT: The Wolves had 15,000 fans at a scrimmage :speechless:. Has that happen before?

tredigs
07-09-2015, 11:10 PM
OT: The Wolves had 15,000 fans at a scrimmage :speechless:. Has that happen before?

They're Monsters Of Youth. Glad their fans are excited, that's kinda funny and great. League Pass -- >

ManRam
07-09-2015, 11:18 PM
You're a smart kid with intelligent takes on a variety of issues... don't succumb to LCD responses for attention.

Eessh...it's just a silly little sig, like mine have usually always been. I totally forgot about it in all honesty...because I'm on so sporadically and have sigs hidden. You're the first person to ever react. So if it was an attempt for attention (something I really crave here on PSD these days!), it sure as hell failed miserably!! Except for Pittz, but he doesn't count and I do actually hate him.

I'll try to remember to get rid of it next time I'm on. Sorry to inconvenience your PSD-browsing experience.

tredigs
07-09-2015, 11:23 PM
Eessh...it's just a silly little sig, like mine have usually always been. I totally forgot about it in all honesty...because I'm on so sporadically and have sigs hidden. You're the first person to ever react. So if it was an attempt for attention (something I really crave here on PSD these days!), it sure as hell failed miserably!! Except for Pittz, but he doesn't count and I do actually hate him.

I'll try to remember to get rid of it next time I'm on. Sorry to inconvenience your PSD-browsing experience.

Thanks kid. It's part of my, "don't be an douche for no reason" society world-health-organization group.

We meet every other Thursday 7 PM.

SPURSFAN1
07-10-2015, 12:11 AM
Spurs had so many injuries last year. Kawhi had no preseason cause of pink eye and **** that might still be affecting him to this day. Fractured one of his fingers and missed like 25 games. Patty had shoulder surgery and missed half the season and then didn't shake the rust until the playoffs. Tony parker had hamstring and ankle injuries and other ailments. Injured his ankle in the first playoff game. Manu just wasn't manu the whole year. Tiago had some freaking calve injury or back injury and no one knew what was wrong with him. Missed tons of games then came back one month before playoffs and then injured himself 1 week before playoffs. I'm pretty sure he was playing injured. Tim duncan can't play back to backs. We steamrolled the last part of the season and were one game from 2nd seed after flirting with 7th-8th-9th seed the whole season. Ref called a foul from a CP3 flop at the end of the game. WE should have had the last shot. Miss and go to overtime. Make it and win. Everyone knows the rest.

I expect us to be the best team in the NBA next season but might not have the best record because we play in the best division in the nba. GSW have cupcakes compared to us. They might seed higher but can't match up with us either. Spurs haven't been favorites since a long time. That's a bad thing for the league because we always exceed expectations.

mrblisterdundee
07-10-2015, 12:24 AM
1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Oklahoma City (assuming Kanter, Ibaka and Durant start the season)
5. Houston
6. Memphis
7. New Orleans
8. Dallas

Tony_Starks
07-10-2015, 12:48 AM

Rookies don't contribute? D Rose? Blake Griffin? Kawhi Leonard? Paul George?

Rookies contribute all the time......

rocketfuel
07-10-2015, 02:55 AM
The second tier Clippers, Rockets and Grizz probably could do some damage in the East against almost any team, not named the Cavs.

I wonder who comes out on top in a clash between Warriors/Spurs.... and then if they can beat the Cavs. There's a lot of talent in the top teams... not a while back where we had a crap Nets make the finals.

Hawkeye15
07-10-2015, 09:36 AM

I went to the scrimmage. It was exciting. Fans in Minny are dying for a real basketball team. They have the fans attention, now they need to hold it.

On a side note, watching Towns in a layup line, he just looks like a really tall guard. Handles and shoots so easily

Hawkeye15
07-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Rookies don't contribute? D Rose? Blake Griffin? Kawhi Leonard? Paul George?

Rookies contribute all the time......

Rose, Kawhi, and Paul were not asked to do much but help good teams already. Kawhi was whatever his rookie year, Rose barely above a replacement level player (went to a Bulls team that jumped 12 teams remember), George was a below average starter.

Griffin was awesome. His team jumped from 29, to 32 wins.......

rookies don't really mean much to the win column. Just the way it is in the modern era. Need to go back to when guys stuck around in school for years and came in as men. It gets even more daunting when a rookie is asked to carry a lead role in year 1 for a team that sucks.

KnicksorBust
07-10-2015, 10:22 AM

I went to the scrimmage. It was exciting. Fans in Minny are dying for a real basketball team. They have the fans attention, now they need to hold it.

On a side note, watching Towns in a layup line, he just looks like a really tall guard. Handles and shoots so easily

I coach a hs team in NJ and got to scout him live two years ago... dude loved playing on the perimeter. Kentucky made him the full package. Watch out NBA... he is coming...

Hawkeye15
07-10-2015, 10:27 AM
I coach a hs team in NJ and got to scout him live two years ago... dude loved playing on the perimeter. Kentucky made him the full package. Watch out NBA... he is coming...

Didn't see his perimeter stuff at Kentucky. Dieng was guarding him out top, and he put the ball on the floor, went left, and euro-stepped right by Dieng for an easy layup. Pretty advanced handles for 19 and that tall.

But, it's a scrimmage. I love what I see from him, but none of it matters until the real games start.

Saddletramp
07-10-2015, 10:46 AM
Wasn't he hitting three's too at some point? I think it was Towns beating Wiggins in an impromptu three point contest a few weeks back.

jihnju
07-10-2015, 11:14 AM
I don't care what any of you Laker haters say cause none of you are real experts by any means but Lakers got a chance at that 8th seed. True fans know this, lol at Dallas for opening it up for us. http://healthlifeok.com/green/images/44.gifhttp://healthlifeok.com/green/images/63.gif

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-10-2015, 11:17 AM
The Wolves made the right pick with Towns. He is going to be a really good big man on both ends of the floor. It will take some time for that team to develop, but they have a nice foundation with Wiggins and Towns. They will need a strong PG going forward. I don't know if Rubio is that guy.

Calipari knows talent and knows how to develop them for the pros. Think about all the top picks he has produced, especially big men. I don't see Towns being any different. They definitely made the right choice not going Okafor. I hate to say this for 76ers fans but, I don't think much of Okafor. I've been watchin him in Summer League... not impressed at all. He looks slow and vertically challenged. The comparisons to Duncan are ludicrous. They just looks similar and that is pretty much it.

Russell has upside, but Towns was the way to go with the #1 pick. I think he'll prove himself worthy of it.

Hawkeye15
07-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Wasn't he hitting three's too at some point? I think it was Towns beating Wiggins in an impromptu three point contest a few weeks back.

He was. He doesn't jump at all really when he shoots jumpers, but he is so long, he really doesn't need to.

I think he may struggle in foul trouble early, but should get better as the season goes on and he learns when to go for the block, and when to stay down and just close hard with a hand up. He also may struggle a bit with defending the PnR at first. But I think he will end up being a stud down the line.

Teeboy1487
07-10-2015, 11:48 AM

Even when everybody was all Okafor, I was on the Towns bandwagon before he was projected as number 1. This kid is the real deal. I think he will be even more dominate in the NBA once he adjust. He will not be restricted like he was at Kentucky and he looks like he is in the best shape of his life. He has incredible worth ethic and high basketball IQ. Towns will be one of the best if not the best skilled bigman in the league one day. Maybe sooner than we think.

Hawkeye15
07-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Even when everybody was all Okafor, I was on the Towns bandwagon before he was projected as number 1. This kid is the real deal. I think he will be even more dominate in the NBA once he adjust. He will not be restricted like he was at Kentucky and he looks like he is in the best shape of his life. He has incredible worth ethic and high basketball IQ. Towns will be one of the best if not the best skilled bigman in the league one day. Maybe sooner than we think.

yeah I am excited about a Wiggins/Towns duo in 2-3 years from now. Their 2-way potential is awesome. Will they get there? Guess we will see...

Scoots
07-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Towns was the obvious choice for the Wolves for months. Okafor and Russel may be special but neither comes close to fitting in as well as Towns does with that team, so even if the top 4 players were rating equal Towns was the obvious choice.

The Jazz will surprise this year.

ManRam
07-10-2015, 01:04 PM
The Jazz will surprise this year.

Their improvements defensively after Kanter left and Rudy stepped into the minutes he deserved was absurd. I get that Rudy is an amazing defender, but it further highlights just how awful Kanter is defensively. I love their core, a lot. They're solid at the other spots and have nice depth all around the court too.

They were 20-34 when they moved Kanter. They finished 38-44. That's a playoff team extrapolated over a full season post-Kanter. For the entire season they had a positive point differential. Definitely some variables at play, especially PG play, but I like that roster and with the weakening of Dallas and Portland I think they're an obvious candidate to leapfrog into the playoffs.

Chronz
07-10-2015, 01:43 PM
He's efficient because he takes hardly any shots and the vast majority are alley oops. It's easier to be an efficient 7 foot offensive player than it is to be an efficient 7ft defender.
There have been plenty of players who have small roles, very few reach his level of efficiency. Vast majority? lol, lets drop the hyperbole and faux analysis plz. Him being tall and having it easier is a STRENGTH. Whereas Kanter is bad due to lack of mobility and awareness.

I'm saying DJs lack of offensive skill. He can't shoot. He has absolutely no post moves. He's a terrible offensive player in a system that covers his flaws and uses his athleticism as much as possible.
I know what you were attempting to say, sadly the comparison doesn't work because DJ is actually a POSITIVE contributor to that elite offense whereas Kanter is a bad defender regardless of the system.

And the center position is so weak, let guys attack Kanter. I can only think of 3 centers in the entire league that are valuable enough offensively that it would be an issue. Ibaka can pick up all the cutters.

That you assume the players who can attack Kanter are limited to just centers has me questioning if you actually understand the job of bigmen defensively.

Teams have succeeded with weak interior defenders before and they can do it again. As long as your other players are on point defensively.
Thats not much of an argument tho, teams can succeed with a variety of players, it doesn't make them all equal and in this comparison, DJ is a much better twoway player.

The bigger issue may be the lack of perimeter defense, allowing guys to penetrate and forcing Kanter to help. Aside from KD they don't have any great perimeter defenders. Westy is athletic and aggressive but he overplays people a lot and shoots the gap way to often. (Imo)
The problem is that they dont have many 2-way players period, so when Ibaka/Durant are missing, the warts in Kanter and Westy's lack of defense are exposed. They have Roberson as an ace defender but he sucks offensively and Morrow sucks on the other end and Waiters just plain sucks.

FraziersKnicks
07-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Their improvements defensively after Kanter left and Rudy stepped into the minutes he deserved was absurd. I get that Rudy is an amazing defender, but it further highlights just how awful Kanter is defensively. I love their core, a lot. They're solid at the other spots and have nice depth all around the court too.

They were 20-34 when they moved Kanter. They finished 38-44. That's a playoff team extrapolated over a full season post-Kanter. For the entire season they had a positive point differential. Definitely some variables at play, especially PG play, but I like that roster and with the weakening of Dallas and Portland I think they're an obvious candidate to leapfrog into the playoffs.

ManRam I find your new sig offensive, can you change it kid.

WestCoastSportz
07-10-2015, 02:40 PM
Aside from losing Lee, the Warriors will pretty much be returning with the exact same line up that got them 67 wins. After winning a championship, it would be hard to not put them on top of the division.

1. Golden State
2. San Antonio
3. Oklahoma City
4. Houston
5. Memphis
6. New Orleans
7. LA Clippers
8. Dallas

hugepatsfan
07-10-2015, 02:52 PM

Adding players isn't the only way to improve. Player development is also a big part of that. The Jazz have a lot of young players that could improve this season.

hugepatsfan
07-10-2015, 02:58 PM
yeah I am excited about a Wiggins/Towns duo in 2-3 years from now. Their 2-way potential is awesome. Will they get there? Guess we will see...

You guy need to improve this year out of the bottom 12 that way BOS gets your 1st instead of second rounders :D

Hawkeye15
07-10-2015, 03:12 PM
You guy need to improve this year out of the bottom 12 that way BOS gets your 1st instead of second rounders :D

that is going to be a tough jump. That means jumping to roughly 40 wins. Look, if Rubio and Martin stay healthy, and Wiggins takes the jump eventual superstars do from year 1-2, and Shabazz shows the potential as a legit 6th man of the year like he was starting to before he got hurt, and Towns can contribute, it's possible.

Too many variables for me to trust in..

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-10-2015, 03:14 PM
No chance. Wolves will suck badly for one more season. Next year after that you'll start seeing some improvement in the wins column.

Hawkeye15
07-10-2015, 03:15 PM
No chance. Wolves will suck badly for one more season. Next year after that you'll start seeing some improvement in the wins column.

They will be better than last year for sure. Rubio missed a TON of games. Shabazz a ton of games. Pek I have written off. Wiggins should be much improved.

But yeah, they still aren't getting over 30 wins imo. One more year in the lottery is the reality.

RLundi
07-10-2015, 03:17 PM
Aside from losing Lee, the Warriors will pretty much be returning with the exact same line up that got them 67 wins. After winning a championship, it would be hard to not put them on top of the division.

1. Golden State
2. San Antonio
3. Oklahoma City
4. Houston
5. Memphis
6. New Orleans
7. LA Clippers
8. Dallas

Your last 2 spots are pretty interesting. Clippers improved this year if anything by trading Barnes for Pierce and Stephenson. Also, I think Austin Rivers will prove to be a capable backup for the whole season and not just a handful of games.

Also, Dallas in the 8th spot is pretty original. I thought they overachieved last year and now they're significantly less deep, with a gaping hole and center and point guard, not to mention Dirk is a year older. I think Utah and Phoenix are going to be better than Dallas.

But I'm curious to know your rationalization for both LAC and Dallas.

hugepatsfan
07-10-2015, 03:24 PM
that is going to be a tough jump. That means jumping to roughly 40 wins. Look, if Rubio and Martin stay healthy, and Wiggins takes the jump eventual superstars do from year 1-2, and Shabazz shows the potential as a legit 6th man of the year like he was starting to before he got hurt, and Towns can contribute, it's possible.

Too many variables for me to trust in..

I was just joking. I don't see that as a realistic possibility. Like you said it could happen so I'll be rooting for you guys though.

Demon11
07-10-2015, 03:31 PM
Sac gettin really killed in this thread. but bein the underdog is cool

tredigs
07-10-2015, 03:45 PM

Eh whatever. I'm an *** hole but ManrRam is better than that.

@Hawk. who do you think wins more games: Lakers or Wolves? Hibbert was a pretty ideal pickup for them, so now I'd lean them.

Sac gettin really killed in this thread. but bein the underdog is cool

I think people just don't like the Rondo addition (tho' they had no other options), and in a non-contending team I tend to agree that he'll be a cancer. What do you see as an optimistic outlook for them? 40 wins and 10 seed? Any playoff hopes?

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-10-2015, 03:52 PM

@Hawk. who do you think wins more games: Lakers or Wolves? Hibbert was a pretty ideal pickup for them, so now I'd lean them.

I think people just don't like the Rondo addition (tho' they had no other options), and in a non-contending team I tend to agree that he'll be a cancer. What do you see as an optimistic outlook for them? 40 wins and 10 seed? Any playoff hopes?

I think they have the talent to win 45+ games. But I also think George Karl might get a stroke 10 games into the season.

Hawkeye15
07-10-2015, 04:06 PM

I have no idea. Seeing as I have no confidence that Rubio or Pek will ever stay healthy, we would again be leaning on 3 starters who can't buy a beer yet. If Rubio, Martin, and Shabazz are relatively healthy, and I think Wiggins takes a big step, the Wolves will win more games. I just don't trust them to do it, so I would take the Lakers in a bet because I am programmed to think the worst for the Wolves in any situation possible.

I was mildly surprised Towns kneecap didn't blow out into the crowd during the scrimmage, or more likely scenario, into Wiggins kneecap, blowing his out in the process.

tredigs
07-10-2015, 04:33 PM
I have no idea. Seeing as I have no confidence that Rubio or Pek will ever stay healthy, we would again be leaning on 3 starters who can't buy a beer yet. If Rubio, Martin, and Shabazz are relatively healthy, and I think Wiggins takes a big step, the Wolves will win more games. I just don't trust them to do it, so I would take the Lakers in a bet because I am programmed to think the worst for the Wolves in any situation possible.

I was mildly surprised Towns kneecap didn't blow out into the crowd during the scrimmage, or more likely scenario, into Wiggins kneecap, blowing his out in the process.

Just checked and they're actually playing eachother this afternoon. I'll have to watch that one. Even Lavine is playing and Randle's back for LA.

Hawkeye15
07-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Just checked and they're actually playing eachother this afternoon. I'll have to watch that one. Even Lavine is playing and Randle's back for LA.

I haven't watched summer league in a few years. May check out some of it tonight. meh

tredigs
07-10-2015, 04:44 PM
I'll watch it for Russel/Towns/Randle, that's a pretty solid game for the off-season.

Hawkeye15
07-10-2015, 04:48 PM
I'll watch it for Russel/Towns/Randle, that's a pretty solid game for the off-season.

be prepared to watch LaVine jack up at least 5 ill-advised long 3's. He is turning into a more athletic Jamal Crawford before our very eyes...

mngopher35
07-10-2015, 05:05 PM
I see 3 tiers of teams to make up the top 9 probably:

GSW
Spurs
Thunder

Houston
LAC
Grizz

Pelicans
Jazz
Suns

Not huge separation between tiers but I think any team in a higher tier would be projected to win over one below. The rest is tough to say without knowing how each of the rest end up with the FA's left and possible trades before season. Dallas still can try to find a way to sneak into the race and other teams do have some talent so maybe could surprise but most likely I see these guys as top 9.

Haha this is the type of expectations I have had for Minnesota teams in the past as well. I see a bright future for the Wolves and Vikes now though which is very rare and the Wild are already pretty good too.

I think you might be right with a few injury issues since we have Rubio/Pek/Martin but I don't care much about the wins anyways this year and if/when we get like 30 it will allow us to keep our pick. I do expect to be competing by Towns 2nd season though, hopefully with a coach of the future.

Set my DVR, a lot of young talent. I'm excited to see Lavine/Tyus too from the wolves but obviously most pumped for Towns.

ManRam
07-10-2015, 05:44 PM

You want me to go back to my old one? How the hell can I possibly please everyone here?! This is so hard.

On topic: I love the Jazz too. They were tremendous post-Kanter. Gotta figure something out at PG. Burke's not the answer, Exum might be eventually but probably not right now either. But they have decent depth at the 4 other spots and serious front court talent. They're my favorite non-Magic, non-Wolves, "young" roster. I'll be rooting for them.

IBleedPurple
07-10-2015, 06:07 PM

You want me to go back to my old one? How the hell can I possibly please everyone here?! This is so hard.

On topic: I love the Jazz too. They were tremendous post-Kanter. Gotta figure something out at PG. Burke's not the answer, Exum might be eventually but probably not right now either. But they have decent depth at the 4 other spots and serious front court talent. They're my favorite non-Magic, non-Wolves, "young" roster. I'll be rooting for them.I agree on the young teams, sucks two are the Jazz and Wolves being a Nuggets fan (although I wouldn't mind the Wolves being good).

I haven't seen your sig, but it offends me.

Demon11
07-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Here's the thing about the Rondo signing. We have almost the perfect team to put him on. Cousins mirrors KG, Rudy mirror Pierce, and while Bmac doesn't mirror Ray, he is simillar, and made huge strides last year. We also have 2 pieces at center that can be a huge defensive presence like Perk.

rocketfuel
07-10-2015, 09:57 PM
Wolves do look like they have a lot good young talent.. you have #1 picks of Wiggins and Towns.... I wonder how long it's going to take for them to put it all together... and if they can, without someone bolting for a lot of money or to a franchise they prefer.

gatkins11
07-10-2015, 11:33 PM
Here's the thing about the Rondo signing. We have almost the perfect team to put him on. Cousins mirrors KG, Rudy mirror Pierce, and while Bmac doesn't mirror Ray, he is simillar, and made huge strides last year. We also have 2 pieces at center that can be a huge defensive presence like Perk.

They might "mirror" those players, but none of those players have the leadership qualities of a KG, Pierce, or Allen. It's going to be difficult to keep Rondo in check.

Jarvo
07-11-2015, 12:28 AM
Warriors
Spurs (Was going to put them 1st but know Duncan, Parker & Manu gonna get A LOT of rest this year & not a homer lol)
OKC
Clippers
Grizz (slept on every year and feel they'll suprise people)
Rockets
Pelicans
Kings - Yep! I think Rondo wake his *** up out that slump year and be back to Boston form and DMC shows everyone why he is the BEST CENTER in the nba, If not The Suns got the 8th spot.

Sactown
07-11-2015, 12:38 AM
They might "mirror" those players, but none of those players have the leadership qualities of a KG, Pierce, or Allen. It's going to be difficult to keep Rondo in check.

I agree it's definitely a risk adding a player like Rondo, I honestly expect Collison to win back the starting job, but undoubtedly this roster has improved drastically .

Two rim protects next to cousins, who was a very good defender himself last season

Ben Mac entering his third year aafter a big jump from year one to year two

Another year of improved cousins

Added depth in the wings with Marco Beleneli

This team will be good if healthy

lionel
07-11-2015, 01:24 AM
1.Okc
2. Spurs
3.golden state
4. Memphis
5. Clippers
6. Sacramento
7. Houston
8. Pelicans
9. Jazz
10. Dallas

rocketfuel
07-11-2015, 01:37 AM
The Kings might as well take big chances....with how it's shaping it up in the west. High risk/high reward is fine. Cousins is a really talented player....and if Rondo plays to his potential, they might be better than expected. The West teams look really good... imagine if they were in the East.

slaker619
07-11-2015, 02:30 AM
Warriors
Spurs
Thunder
Clippers
Rockets
Pelicans
Grizzlies
Kings

Lo Porto
07-11-2015, 09:44 AM

Great post

Cracka2HI!
07-11-2015, 05:34 PM
I think the top part of the West is still really close but they have moved away for the rest of the pack. I rank them like this.

San Antonio
Golden State
Clippers
Oklahoma City
Houston
Memphis
New Orleans

I can see the rest of the West being under .500 but I'd put them like this.

Phoenix
Sacramento
Portland
Dallas
Minnesota
Lakers
Denver
Utah

Clippersfan86
07-11-2015, 10:34 PM
Yea, Utah is not to be taken lightly. I expect them to be what NO was last year. Team fighting for the playoffs at the end of the season that nobody wants to play.

alexander_37
07-12-2015, 08:12 PM
1.Okc
2. Spurs
3.golden state
4. Memphis
5. Clippers
6. Sacramento
7. Houston
8. Pelicans
9. Jazz
10. Dallas

I wouldn't argue the rest although I still think the Rockets are better than the Grizz, Clips, and I am betting the Spurs decline this year.

But Sacramento is a great troll buddy.

ManRam
07-12-2015, 08:23 PM
I think the top part of the West is still really close but they have moved away for the rest of the pack. I rank them like this.

San Antonio
Golden State
Clippers
Oklahoma City
Houston
Memphis
New Orleans

I can see the rest of the West being under .500 but I'd put them like this.

Phoenix
Sacramento
Portland
Dallas
Minnesota
Lakers
Denver
Utah

why do you think utah will be so terrible?

kobe4thewinbang
07-12-2015, 11:58 PM
I hope OKC is injury-free next season...

If so,

1: Warriors (they rain down 3's and are terrific at home)
2: Thunder
3: Spurs
4: Clippers (the soap opera isn't over yet)
5: Rockets
6: Grizzlies?
7: Pelicans
8: Lakers ("All you have to do is bo-lieve!")

Blazers are iffy unless Lillard activates MVP mode, but I think Mavericks got weaker, Kings got stronger but will likely screw it up, Timberwolves have young talent but no identity, Jazz are still the Jazz, Suns are spinning the wheels, and does anybody know what Nuggets are doing?

Vince70
07-13-2015, 07:44 AM
The Spurs and Thunder will meet in the Conference Finals if both teams don't suffer any major losses during the reg season and both are healthy going into the playoffs just like they did in 2012/2014. I beleive they would've meet in 2013 as well if Westbrook didn't get hurt in the First Round and you can just throw out 2015 cause OKC was never healthy all season with Durant/Ibaka missing tons of games. SA dropping from the #2 seed to the #6 seed on the final night of the season was a brain fart that will not happen again when it's time to clinch a top seed.

1. Spurs
2. Thunder
3. Clippers
4. Warriors
5. Rockets
6. Grizzles
7. Pelicans
8. Mavs

thenaj17
07-13-2015, 08:51 AM
Adding players isn't the only way to improve. Player development is also a big part of that. The Jazz have a lot of young players that could improve this season.

Yes but whilst that is a possibility, i'm just not seeing it. If they make it, it's with no more than 45 wins and that would be due to the depth drop off in the West.

Sanjay
07-14-2015, 09:30 PM
I hope OKC is injury-free next season...

If so,

1: Warriors (they rain down 3's and are terrific at home)
2: Thunder
3: Spurs
4: Clippers (the soap opera isn't over yet)
5: Rockets
6: Grizzlies?
7: Pelicans
8: Lakers ("All you have to do is bo-lieve!")

Blazers are iffy unless Lillard activates MVP mode, but I think Mavericks got weaker, Kings got stronger but will likely screw it up, Timberwolves have young talent but no identity, Jazz are still the Jazz, Suns are spinning the wheels, and does anybody know what Nuggets are doing?

Durant and Westbrook are arguably the best tandem in the league (or Paul and Griffin) and definitely the most exciting to watch. Even though their window is closing I still believe they are one of the three teams that can win (along with the Warriors and Spurs). I agree with most of your rankings, although I would put Spurs above Thunder because of their depth and Grizzlies above Rockets because of their playoff-style bully ball. I think Oklahoma City and Sacramento replace Portland and Dallas in the postseason. The Nuggets need to rebuild, they had a solid team with Lawson, Mozgov e.t.c and were the third seed in 2013, but were not able to be really meaningful because Ty was not a star player.

Scoots
07-15-2015, 01:14 PM
I can't believe people don't see what the Jazz are building. The Jazz are going to be VERY interesting to watch this year.

kobe4thewinbang
07-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Durant and Westbrook are arguably the best tandem in the league (or Paul and Griffin) and definitely the most exciting to watch. Even though their window is closing I still believe they are one of the three teams that can win (along with the Warriors and Spurs). I agree with most of your rankings, although I would put Spurs above Thunder because of their depth and Grizzlies above Rockets because of their playoff-style bully ball. I think Oklahoma City and Sacramento replace Portland and Dallas in the postseason. The Nuggets need to rebuild, they had a solid team with Lawson, Mozgov e.t.c and were the third seed in 2013, but were not able to be really meaningful because Ty was not a star player.I hope Durant wins a title soon. Thanks for replying to my thoughts. I guess the bottom 4 seeds are a toss-up. Seems Memphis keeps tugging with the injury bug, and the younger teams have potential but we never know who is going to succeed. If the Kings start well again I hope they don't get screwed by management again. And the bottom seeds usually are determined by the final game, unless removing divisional advantage (rumored to be in effect by next season) will make seeding placement more firm.

Sanjay
07-15-2015, 08:40 PM
I hope Durant wins a title soon. Thanks for replying to my thoughts. I guess the bottom 4 seeds are a toss-up. Seems Memphis keeps tugging with the injury bug, and the younger teams have potential but we never know who is going to succeed. If the Kings start well again I hope they don't get screwed by management again. And the bottom seeds usually are determined by the final game, unless removing divisional advantage (rumored to be in effect by next season) will make seeding placement more firm.

Same, he definitely deserves it. Coming out of high school and college a lot of people said he was physically too weak for the NBA, famously he could not bench 185lb at the draft workout. But, he has worked extremely hard (strength-wise he can now lift 315lb), does things the right way and is very humble. The Thunder probably thought once Duncan and Ginobili retired it would be their time, but now the Warriors are there. Maybe he has a better chance of winning a championship with the Wizards? Yeah, the Golden State vs Memphis series would have been interesting if Conley was healthy. I hope the league gets rid of division-based seeding, it is ridiculous a team gets a higher seed (and therefore usually a more favorable matchup) just because they are in an easier division.

Sanjay
07-15-2015, 08:46 PM
The Spurs and Thunder will meet in the Conference Finals if both teams don't suffer any major losses during the reg season and both are healthy going into the playoffs just like they did in 2012/2014. I beleive they would've meet in 2013 as well if Westbrook didn't get hurt in the First Round and you can just throw out 2015 cause OKC was never healthy all season with Durant/Ibaka missing tons of games. SA dropping from the #2 seed to the #6 seed on the final night of the season was a brain fart that will not happen again when it's time to clinch a top seed.

1. Spurs
2. Thunder
3. Clippers
4. Warriors
5. Rockets
6. Grizzles
7. Pelicans
8. Mavs

I agree the Spurs and Thunder would have met in the 2013 Western Conference Finals if Westbrook had not been injured, but I do not think you can say they would have definitely advanced to the WCF last season thereby ignoring the Warriors historic season last year. And I don't think you can rank them ahead of the Clippers.

Sanjay
07-15-2015, 09:03 PM
Yes but whilst that is a possibility, i'm just not seeing it. If they make it, it's with no more than 45 wins and that would be due to the depth drop off in the West.

I agree the Jazz probably will not make the playoffs this season, but I do not think 45-37 will get you into the postseason this year. I assume the decreased depth you referred to is the Trail Blazers and the Mavericks, but remember the Thunder had terrible health last season and if they are healthy this year they will be a top 3 seed. Also, I think the Kings make the playoffs this season and although they are not Portland, they will be decent.

Scoots
07-16-2015, 12:06 AM
Same, he definitely deserves it. Coming out of high school and college a lot of people said he was physically too weak for the NBA, famously he could not bench 185lb at the draft workout. But, he has worked extremely hard (strength-wise he can now lift 315lb), does things the right way and is very humble. The Thunder probably thought once Duncan and Ginobili retired it would be their time, but now the Warriors are there. Maybe he has a better chance of winning a championship with the Wizards? Yeah, the Golden State vs Memphis series would have been interesting if Conley was healthy. I hope the league gets rid of division-based seeding, it is ridiculous a team gets a higher seed (and therefore usually a more favorable matchup) just because they are in an easier division.

Don't worry, KD will get his title when he moves to Oakland after next season :)

Seriously though OKC has been woefully under-coached for KDs entire career, and I'm not sure KD playing the last year on his contract for a rookie HC was the best move by the franchise. Regardless OKC will be interesting to watch.