PDA

View Full Version : Is the Deandre Jordan Scenario the 2nd bigest Schmuck Move in NBA History

Kyben36
07-08-2015, 11:44 PM
The Biggest i am talking about is the Decision, by King James himself, but, this hole scenario seems like a terrible move by Deandre as a Person. and almost a dirty move by the Clippers.

What are your opinions on this hole Catastrophe. and how different would the Mavs off season have been had they have known he would have done this from the beginning. perhaps Hibbert to the mavs instead of the lakers ??

goingfor28
07-08-2015, 11:45 PM
Elton Brand did the exact same thing to the Clippers back in 06/07 time

Thumper 88
07-08-2015, 11:46 PM
I think it's worse because he already said he was going to the Mavs.

This move could set the Mavs back many many years

JasonJohnHorn
07-08-2015, 11:51 PM
Well... it is what it is. It happens quite frequently to be honest. It's a person's prerogative to change their mind. The player isn't on your roster until they sign the contract.

Carlos Boozer had allegedly agreed to re-sign with the Cavs before the Jazz offered him a huge contract as well. What is the player supposed to do? Turn down millions of dollars so that a team that might trade them in six months and that they have no previous relationship with can get what they want?

It's a business.

Also, the Mavs are always willing to dump whoever they got to try and improve. They let Chandler go after he helped them win a title and he was the second most important piece on that roster. But the Cavs wanted to clear caps space to chase after another center. Then they let him got AGAIN this year.

Moves like that tells players that the franchise isn't going to be loyal to them.

Cracka2HI!
07-08-2015, 11:53 PM

He also dropped Baron Davis on us. That was probably worse.

On a separate note DeAndre Jordan is the most posted about athlete on PSD in a long long time.

tredigs
07-08-2015, 11:54 PM
Slow news week. Who cares where the highly overrated Deandre Jordan plays basketball.

JLynn943
07-09-2015, 12:06 AM
I'd say it's worse. At least LeBron didn't agree to come back to Cleveland. Everyone knew there was a chance he wouldn't. DJ completely screwed up Dallas' free agency though by actually committing to them and is going to ensure that Dirk wastes one of his last chances (if not his last).

Cal827
07-09-2015, 12:08 AM
:laugh2: Well, Lebron never promised that he'd sign somewhere else, so I don't see how the two can compare.

Yeah. probably the most schmuck move in NBA history. I know Brand was similar, but IIRC, he hadn't agreed in principle to resign, it was just assumed (Clip fans I apologize if I'm off on what happened there, I kinda forgot the full story).

What's going to suck for the players, as someone else mentioned in the other thread, is that we're gonna see a LONNNNG battle between the owners and players after this (well, if we weren't expecting already)

More-Than-Most
07-09-2015, 12:08 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/news/story?id=6175574

if this is the worst thing in history then my god it needs to happen more often because all those dollars to those kids.... what a horrid thing to do... these kids dont need a new gym or new computers or better after school programs

apocalypse15
07-09-2015, 12:09 AM
I think this is worse. I wonder how much the contract is going to be for?

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 12:18 AM
I think this is worse. I wonder how much the contract is going to be for?

Same as Mavs. 80/4.

Shady66
07-09-2015, 12:26 AM
Big-time douchebag

ThaBoomer
07-09-2015, 12:26 AM
The Carlos Boozer move was pretty douchey because he was under contract and got the Cavs to release him from the last year of his contract with a handshake deal that he would resign with them, (which technically is against the CBA), then he signed a much bigger contract to leave and come to Utah. Cleveland hinted at what happened but couldn't come right out and complain and admit their part in it.

beasted86
07-09-2015, 12:27 AM
Just like everyone told us Miami fans, he isn't breaking any rules, he's free to make his decision.

Mavs should have a backup plan regardless. Hopefully this wakes more GMs up to the possibility of it happening and more will understand nothing is done until its done.

mavwar53
07-09-2015, 12:29 AM
DJ is a chump

0nekhmer
07-09-2015, 12:30 AM
He's a dumbass for this, and the sad part is he didn't even have the decency or courage to tell the mavs face to face that he changed his mind.

BKLYNpigeon
07-09-2015, 12:37 AM
Would be funny if Wes Matthews had a change of heart too.

Cal827
07-09-2015, 12:38 AM
Would be funny if Wes Matthews had a change of heart too.

:laugh: All of the FA signees just say: **** it, I'm going back home now"

numba1CHANGsta
07-09-2015, 01:02 AM
Like i've been saying, the NBA has become a joke, and it's been a joke since "The Decision", the NBA has become your typical reality show

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 01:04 AM
Like i've been saying, the NBA has become a joke, and it's been a joke since "The Decision", the NBA has become your typical reality show

Basically since the Lakers stopped winning? No agenda here at all....

beldugo
07-09-2015, 01:28 AM

It was some WWE **** we witness today.

Sactown
07-09-2015, 01:34 AM
I think they need to remove the "talk but no signing " portion of free agency . Allow everyone to sign when free agency starts then there's no in n out deal

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-09-2015, 01:48 AM
2nd worse? There is no way the decision was worse than this. He totally screwed them. Apparently he knew his intentions since Monday. Why wait till the day before contacts could be signed to reveal your intentions. He should have been a man about it and let them know so they could adjust. This is horrible. But im so glad it happened to Cuban. Lmao

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-09-2015, 01:50 AM
I think they need to remove the "talk but no signing " portion of free agency . Allow everyone to sign when free agency starts then there's no in n out deal

Yup, apparently they don't know the cap number until the 9th. I say why not start free agency on the 10th then? That way agreements are official

bucketss
07-09-2015, 01:53 AM
carlos boozer was worse, but than again cleveland kind of deserved in a way.

bucketss
07-09-2015, 02:02 AM

the decision was also the last time your team won a championship. i personally don't think its been a joke, i think whats influencing your opinion is your teams success since than. A lot of dumb stuff happened before "the decision", like the wholes boozer situation, elton brand signing with philly last moment and leaving baron davis alone in LA.

just my two cents.

Greedy22
07-09-2015, 04:31 AM
Lol, what Lebron did wasn't even bad. What a joke to compare the 2.

Saddletramp
07-09-2015, 04:32 AM
Just like everyone told us Miami fans, he isn't breaking any rules, he's free to make his decision.

Mavs should have a backup plan regardless. Hopefully this wakes more GMs up to the possibility of it happening and more will understand nothing is done until its done.

You keep talking on and on and on about a "backup plan" but due to the moratorium, everyone else has already committed. Something like this rarely happens. How were they to know DJ would puss out?

Saddletramp
07-09-2015, 04:42 AM
Yup, apparently they don't know the cap number until the 9th. I say why not start free agency on the 10th then? That way agreements are official

Why wait so long to get the number? Not sure how the cap number gets finalized but it can't get done sooner?

Saddletramp
07-09-2015, 04:43 AM
2nd worse? There is no way the decision was worse than this. He totally screwed them. Apparently he knew his intentions since monday. Why wait till the day before contacts could be signed to reveal your intentions. He should have been a man about it and let them know so they could adjust. This is horrible. But im so glad it happened to cuban. Lmao

x2

jerellh528
07-09-2015, 04:45 AM
What would be truly hilarious is if lebron feels slighted by no longer being the talk of the town, pulls the craziest turn ever and aligns himself with Cuban on the mavs to be a headline breaker once again and keep his name in the spotlight.

PhillyFaninLA
07-09-2015, 05:14 AM
Why don't people get that The Decision was a made by ESPN producers and executives that agreed to put that circus on the air.....Lebron did it, but without ESPN producers and executives approving it, it does not happen....

thenaj17
07-09-2015, 06:38 AM
Why don't people get that The Decision was a made by ESPN producers and executives that agreed to put that circus on the air.....Lebron did it, but without ESPN producers and executives approving it, it does not happen....

Yeh....cos producers are going to turn that down....

Munkeysuit
07-09-2015, 06:40 AM
To Lebron's credit, he at least came back to his home state and in an awesome way too!
DeAndre wanted to leave...you don't commit yourself (even verbally) towards another situation and not be really sure about it when millions of dollars, your individual legacy and the progress of 2 franchises hang in the balance...shots were fired in the midst of this mini soap opera, and Tyson Chandler left out the back door and so did Monta Ellis!

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-09-2015, 06:48 AM
Why wait so long to get the number? Not sure how the cap number gets finalized but it can't get done sooner?
I read that it had to do with the end if the fiscal year being June 30th. The accountants then have to add up all the revenue and come up with a number.

GottaLoveCubs
07-09-2015, 06:54 AM
Very little respect for a person who shakes someone's hand and then goes back on that.

Kyben36
07-09-2015, 07:02 AM
When i mentioned the decision, i am talking about the theatrics and telivised broadcast, not his decision to leave.

Kyben36
07-09-2015, 07:07 AM

Without lebrons big *** ego agreeing to it it never happens. One of the worst and most schmuck things ever in the nba. It would have been fine if he chose to stay. And that charade happened But to have cleveland fans watching and waiting when he stated south beach. Absolute schmuck move... oh and to not say it to ur teams face that u are leaving and having them find out that way as well.i dont care about espn and them producing it. Lebron should have steped in and canceled when he decided to leave

beasted86
07-09-2015, 07:47 AM
You keep talking on and on and on about a "backup plan" but due to the moratorium, everyone else has already committed. Something like this rarely happens. How were they to know DJ would puss out?

Who cares how rare. They should have some other strategy to rebuild. As it is this one sucked. Throwing a max at DeAndre and overpaying a SG coming off a blown Achilles was going to put them at the bottom of the West, and as Cuban put it, this was their 'trump card'. Totally inept.

Tired of fans letting GMs off the hook and blaming players, its annoying. Lakers fans didn't blame management they blamed Dwight, haven't made the playoffs since. Magic fans didn't blame management, blamed Howard, haven't made the playoffs since. Cavs fans didn't blame management they blamed LeBron, didn't make the playoffs until he gifted them by going back.

Even with this same Mavericks ownership a few years ago fans were like "Deron is a chump". At some point stop crying about what players didn't sign/resign/forced their way out, and get mad at management for not having 3 or even 4 strategies for building a good team other than "I did a bad job and let my last GM ruin my team, so let's tank for 10 years straight".

Does this suck how it unfolded for the Mavs? Of course. But let's see what they do. I'd bet their backup plan is to simply suck for the next 4 years minimum. It would be nice if they could prove me wrong.

nastynice
07-09-2015, 07:54 AM
This was an absolutely horrible situation, def the biggest dick move I can think of. How the hell did lebrons name even get mixed up with this, yes he's an idiot but he's a whole other type of idiot. DJ completely screwed an organization over, I do like him as a player, but this whole thing just shows what a pathetic person he truly is. I really feel for mavs fans, you guys didn't deserve this, completely wrong and ****ed up no matter what angle you look at it from. DJ has no integrity or respect for the business he is in.

Yanks All Day
07-09-2015, 08:32 AM
If The Decision was the worst schmuck move in NBA history, we have to reevaluate our priorities.

Vinylman
07-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Slow news week. Who cares where the highly overrated Deandre Jordan plays basketball.

the correct answer

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 09:29 AM
This has happened many times over history. But today, with 8 zillion people tweeting to tell the world they just farted, everything is magnified.

Dude pulled a douche move. Who cares. He was a FA, he can do what he likes

Tony_Starks
07-09-2015, 09:42 AM
DJ to me was more like a young immature dude that couldn't make his mind up, and apparently even felt he was misled. It was a jerk move but at the end of the day he ended up staying and making the right decision.

The decision was the biggest public spectacle of jerk-dom that I've ever "witnessed." To keep Cleveland in the dark all that time only to break up with them on TV, run to go play with the competition, then have basically a victory parade to culminate it promising mad rings?

Doesn't get more classless and lame at the same time.

2-ONE-5
07-09-2015, 09:47 AM

he never agreed to deal. i remember it just being expected after BD joined.

Thumper 88
07-09-2015, 09:47 AM
This has happened many times over history. But today, with 8 zillion people tweeting to tell the world they just farted, everything is magnified.

Dude pulled a douche move. Who cares. He was a FA, he can do what he likes
Who cares? I'm sure the mavericks do no?

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 09:49 AM
Who cares? I'm sure the mavericks do no?

They will get over it.

warfelg
07-09-2015, 09:51 AM
This is the downside to the length of the moratorium of moves in the NBA.

Quite a few other dominoes fell in FA because DeAndre agreed to terms with Dallas. I bet if he never agreed with Dallas in the first place the path of free agency would have been completely altered.

True Sports Fan
07-09-2015, 09:54 AM

You'd care if he ****ed the Warriors over.

True Sports Fan
07-09-2015, 09:54 AM

Thumper 88
07-09-2015, 09:57 AM
They will get over it.
Sure they will still have a team in Dallas. Your wording makes it seem not a big deal and Dallas can still keep chugging along.

Thumper 88
07-09-2015, 10:00 AM

This.

Every time I see someone say its not a big deal, I agree with them that it's not a big deal to them and their team but it's most definitely a big deal to the mavericks

2-ONE-5
07-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Who cares how rare. They should have some other strategy to rebuild. As it is this one sucked. Throwing a max at DeAndre and overpaying a SG coming off a blown Achilles was going to put them at the bottom of the West, and as Cuban put it, this was their 'trump card'. Totally inept.

Tired of fans letting GMs off the hook and blaming players, its annoying. Lakers fans didn't blame management they blamed Dwight, haven't made the playoffs since. Magic fans didn't blame management, blamed Howard, haven't made the playoffs since. Cavs fans didn't blame management they blamed LeBron, didn't make the playoffs until he gifted them by going back.

Even with this same Mavericks ownership a few years ago fans were like "Deron is a chump". At some point stop crying about what players didn't sign/resign/forced their way out, and get mad at management for not having 3 or even 4 strategies for building a good team other than "I did a bad job and let my last GM ruin my team, so let's tank for 10 years straight".

Does this suck how it unfolded for the Mavs? Of course. But let's see what they do. I'd bet their backup plan is to simply suck for the next 4 years minimum. It would be nice if they could prove me wrong.

so you expect Dallas (or anyone) to talk to other FA's and say here is a deal but we will only follow through with it if for some odd reason the player we really want decides to back out at the last minute and not tell us? get real

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 10:02 AM
Sure they will still have a team in Dallas. Your wording makes it seem not a big deal and Dallas can still keep chugging along.

They have no choice but to chug along. Personally I think the waiting period is stupid for free agency, but Dallas should have had a contingency plan. I get that as a Mavs fan you are upset, I am saying this has happened before, and it will happen again. It is what it is.

Don't get too up and down over a sport. It's just a sport.

likemystylez
07-09-2015, 10:04 AM
This is the downside to the length of the moratorium of moves in the NBA.

Quite a few other dominoes fell in FA because DeAndre agreed to terms with Dallas. I bet if he never agreed with Dallas in the first place the path of free agency would have been completely altered.

Yeah- I think the cba will change. I see a few things happening.

1) The actual contract still wont be allowed to be signed until the exact cap is figured out, but teams and players will be allowed to sign an intent to sign contract which prohibits teams from using the slotted money on another free agent and the player from signing with another team in the meantime.

Its unfortunate that it has to come to this and, IMO this seems a little bit desperate. In a most situations, both sides understand that a verbal commitment in this temporary situation (where a written commitment is not an option)- should be honored by both parties as if it were a
written commitment.

2) I think there will be penalties for other teams courting a player once he has already signed the intent to sign. Much like there are penalties once the player is under contract. The penalties would range from fines, to loss of exception slots in future offseasons, to loss of draft picks, to additional luxury tax penalties if a team does this.

If a player honestly changes his mind- he would go to a team that he initially agreed to and request a trade be worked out so that team has a little bit more control over the disaster.

crewfan13
07-09-2015, 10:04 AM

They probably did have a backup plan. However, its tough to execute said backup plan when you have the money basically tied up in a guy who verbally committed. Was Dallas supposed to bring in Robin Lopez and sell him on a meeting that if Deandre Jordan backs out of his verbal commit, we want to sign you? I'm sure Lopez and his representatives would have been very receptive to that, especially with a million reports out there that Jordan agreed to a contract with Dallas.

There's only really so many ways you can build in one offseason in the NBA. Their strategy was to bring in a max player at a position of weakness and bring in more shooting. Maybe that wasn't the best strategy, but seeing as their franchise player is aging, its not like they have a million other avenues to build to try to win a title quickly. Their best course of action was the route they took. And if that didn't work, then they were likely to slightly overpay for the next tier of free agent C (who's all since agreed to verbal deals) and have a little more money to spend elsewhere (unfortunately, the guys you'd spend "elsewhere" on have also agreed to verbals).

I get what you're saying about fans blaming players not the team in situations. Your Dwight example is perfect for that. But this situation is completely different. They had a guy signed relatively early in free agency. Then he waits until the night before you can start signing deals to take a meeting with his old team. He decides to go back to his old team and doesn't even give the team he agreed to sign with a chance to come back and talk with him again. In this situation, that is much more on the player than it is the team.

I'm not a Mavs or Clippers fan. In fact, if I were rankings the teams by how much I liked them, both would probably be in the bottom half of teams. But in my mind, any way you slice it, this was a chump move by Jordan. He has his right to change his mind. He has the right to sign with anyone, and he's earned that right. But then don't agree to a deal, then go on for almost a week like everything is fine before changing your mind at the last minute after most of the heavy lifting of free agency is finished. And if you are waffling, you should let the team know so they can make more contingency plans.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-09-2015, 10:06 AM
NBA needs to change their rules then. Let teams sign players on July 1. Not just a word of mouth agreement. Then assume it's done deal come the 10th of the month. Now Dallas is screwed out of any other options unless any other players back out of their agreement. NBA is backwards anyway. Free agency should be before the draft. Couldn't Dallas sue Jordan? Jordan better retire as a Clipper cause doubt anyone else takes a chance on him for his next contract after this one. Cuban probably wants some new rule drawn up in next NBA meeting.

likemystylez
07-09-2015, 10:07 AM
They have no choice but to chug along. Personally I think the waiting period is stupid for free agency, but Dallas should have had a contingency plan. I get that as a Mavs fan you are upset, I am saying this has happened before, and it will happen again. It is what it is.

a contingency plan is virtually impossible with a max contract. I mean you cant expect another max player to sit back and not sign or agree with anybody else on the contingency that a certain team will sign him if their current verbal agreement flakes?- Thats not nearly as realistic as expecting a professional to honor a verbal agreement in a situation where a written one isnt a possibility.

warfelg

1) The actual contract still wont be allowed to be signed until the exact cap is figured out, but teams and players will be allowed to sign an intent to sign contract which prohibits teams from using the slotted money on another free agent and the player from signing with another team in the meantime.

Its unfortunate that it has to come to this and, IMO this seems a little bit desperate. In a most situations, both sides understand that a verbal commitment in this temporary situation (where a written commitment is not an option)- should be honored by both parties as if it were a
written commitment.

2) I think there will be penalties for other teams courting a player once he has already signed the intent to sign. Much like there are penalties once the player is under contract. The penalties would range from fines, to loss of exception slots in future offseasons, to loss of draft picks, to additional luxury tax penalties if a team does this.

If a player honestly changes his mind- he would go to a team that he initially agreed to and request a trade be worked out so that team has a little bit more control over the disaster.

Eh. I say make the "negotiation" window open Friday at 11:59 pm, signings can happen Monday at 8:01 am. Such a small window by the time most FAs hear pitches they would be signing the contract anyways when they pick.

TS8821
When news broke he was having a change of heart I didn't fault the guy. I read along all day knowing good an well if he was having second thoughts he was leaving the Mavs high an dry. He said he was giving the Mavs a meeting after the clippers and I fully expected that to be a Face to face with Cuban and parsons saying he made the wrong choice and his heart was in LA, completely respectable. Yet he ignored all phone calls and the clips made it a joke by saying they weren't leaving his house until he could sign, not taking the phone calls, not giving the address. That's where I lost all respect.

Avenged
Least favorite player.. but this makes me feel a little more likeness towards him just cuz he screwed Cuban. In reality this isnt as big as everyone is making it out to be. He's not that good.

True Sports Fan
07-09-2015, 10:08 AM

So if Wade, Deng and Dragic agree verbally to resign, and last second agreed to sign elsewhere, what is your plan?

ManRam
07-09-2015, 10:09 AM
He changed his mind. Whatever. Better to make the decision that makes you happy in the end than to be popular. Reneging on a verbal agreement is far from the worst thing a professional athlete has ever done.

likemystylez
07-09-2015, 10:09 AM
NBA needs to change their rules then. Let teams sign players on July 1. Not just a word of mouth agreement. Then assume it's done deal come the 10th of the month. Now Dallas is screwed out of any other options unless any other players back out of their agreement. NBA is backwards anyway. Free agency should be before the draft. Couldn't Dallas sue Jordan? Jordan better retire as a Clipper cause doubt anyone else takes a chance on him for his next contract after this one. Cuban probably wants some new rule drawn up in next NBA meeting.

there should be an intent to sign locking both the player into signing the contract and the team into offering the same contract they verbally discussed

likemystylez
07-09-2015, 10:14 AM
He changed his mind. Whatever. Better to make the decision that makes you happy in the end than to be popular. Reneging on a verbal agreement is far from the worst thing a professional athlete has ever done.

the real issue is how to avoid teams getting caught in this situation in the future. If he changed his mind- he could have went to dallas after he signed and requested a trade- then atleast dallas could have had some control over the max contract.

what should a team do to make sure a verbal agreement is honored? Send armed guards with the player for the next 8 or 9 days to make sure no other teams get near him? Should they have the player sign an "intent to sign"? Should there be a rule for other teams going after a guy who has already signed.

AND LOL at the clippers fans saying deandre reached out to the clippers- yet the whole organization winds up 2000 miles across the country in his houston house? LOl it wasnt deandre in los angelos talking with the owner.

likemystylez
07-09-2015, 10:16 AM
Least favorite player.. but this makes me feel a little more likeness towards him just cuz he screwed Cuban. In reality this isnt as big as everyone is making it out to be. He's not that good.

isnt about how good people think he is- holding a max contract hostage during this period can cause a disaster for an organization. If the mavs initially talked to him and he wasnt interested because he liked the clippers more- this wouldnt be an issue at all.

valade16
07-09-2015, 10:16 AM
there should be an intent to sign locking both the player into signing the contract and the team into offering the same contract they verbally discussed

So like a contractual agreement intending to enter into a contractual agreement?

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 10:18 AM
a contingency plan is virtually impossible with a max contract. I mean you cant expect another max player to sit back and not sign or agree with anybody else on the contingency that a certain team will sign him if their current verbal agreement flakes?- Thats not nearly as realistic as expecting a professional to honor a verbal agreement in a situation where a written one isnt a possibility.

Oh I am aware of that, which is why I don't like the waiting period. Restricted, fine, give the team 3 days to match. Otherwise, why do we have to wait 10 days to sign a freaking contract?

I really don't get how DJ is gathering this much attention though. He wasn't pushing the Mavs into a great position. In fact, it may be better long term, if Cuban can keep his wallet in his pants, that Dallas regresses and stinks for a couple years. DJ was joining a 100 year old Dirk, and a team with what, 48-50 win upside and round 1 exit with DJ? Meh

Vinylman
07-09-2015, 10:23 AM

written commitment.

no need for all that ... just start the FA period after the cap has been established...

the moratorium is a marketing gimmick to keep the NBA in the news during the offseason...

If you want to fix the offseason they need to switch FA and the draft and then eliminate the moratorium...

won't happen though due to the aforementioned marketing strategy...

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 10:28 AM
no need for all that ... just start the FA period after the cap has been established...

the moratorium is a marketing gimmick to keep the NBA in the news during the offseason...

If you want to fix the offseason they need to switch FA and the draft and then eliminate the moratorium...

won't happen though due to the aforementioned marketing strategy...

bingo

Thumper 88
07-09-2015, 10:33 AM

I agree it's just a sport and it shouldn't be that upsetting to someone like myself.

But they couldn't have a backup (desent) plan because of all the money tied up.

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 10:34 AM
I agree it's just a sport and it shouldn't be that upsetting to someone like myself.

But they couldn't have a backup (desent) plan because of all the money tied up.

yeah, like said above by myself and others, the waiting period is so stupid.

IBleedPurple
07-09-2015, 10:37 AM
This is worse. Lebron was an idiot for doing the decision. He wasn't a sneaky snake and backstabbed a team after agreeing. I wish him the worst, purely related to basketball.

pacofunk64
07-09-2015, 10:41 AM
This was a huge blessing in disguise for the Maves. DJ wouldn't be nearly as effective. Great defender and rebounder but that is it.

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 10:42 AM
This was a huge blessing in disguise for the Maves. DJ wouldn't be nearly as effective. Great defender and rebounder but that is it.

it really is a blessing, as long as Cuban can show some self control financially. The Mavs are on the way down. DJ wasn't changing that, he was just going to be a big contract.

Vinylman
07-09-2015, 10:51 AM
it really is a blessing, as long as Cuban can show some self control financially. The Mavs are on the way down. DJ wasn't changing that, he was just going to be a big contract.

If they truly are rebuilding wait until you see the contract Dirk gets next year... it will be CRAZY!

likemystylez
07-09-2015, 10:53 AM

that might be true- but couldnt jordan have just declined the offer initially and allowed the mavs to go after other free agents or make trades with the excess money?

also- how is it a blessing. they gave parsons a max deal to sit and tank? that doesnt seem like an ideal game plan? Id rather not have any big deals on the roster (let alone a guy who is 24 yrs old.

Showtime Steve
07-09-2015, 10:55 AM
It's his right to change his mind, because that's the point of the moratorium period. You don't have to commit at any particular time. I dont care what his agent pushed him to do, he is a grown man. Dont commit so early. He wanted to be wined and dined and then left the mavs with the worst case of blue balls. And when teams commit "years" to players then trade them, its considered business. What he did does leave a bad taste in my mouth, but there are shady dealings all the time. I think Dwight's situation was about even with this one. Dwight's just took years to unfold.

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 10:58 AM
that might be true- but couldnt jordan have just declined the offer initially and allowed the mavs to go after other free agents or make trades with the excess money?

also- how is it a blessing. they gave parsons a max deal to sit and tank? that doesnt seem like an ideal game plan? Id rather not have any big deals on the roster (let alone a guy who is 24 yrs old.

need to hit a floor anyways. Parsons is a keeper.

NYKnickFanatic
07-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Pretty cool that Cuban gave Wes an out and he said no, this is where I want to be

likemystylez
07-09-2015, 11:03 AM

well you dont hit the floor when you have max contracts ont he books. Anyone think dirk will be available to a contender?

xvchj
07-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Slow news week. Who cares where the highly overrated Deandre Jordan plays basketball. http://healthlifeok.com/green/images/44.gifhttp://healthlifeok.com/green/images/63.gif

Hawkeye15
07-09-2015, 11:04 AM
well you dont hit the floor when you have max contracts ont he books. Anyone think dirk will be available to a contender?

Dirk will retire a Mav. No way he leaves at this point.

Jarvo
07-09-2015, 11:13 AM
That was a ***** move point blank period. Like I said I don't think D12 is the most hated Center in The NBA anymore because of it.

FYL_McVeezy
07-09-2015, 11:14 AM
The Biggest i am talking about is the Decision, by King James himself, but, this hole scenario seems like a terrible move by Deandre as a Person. and almost a dirty move by the Clippers.

What are your opinions on this hole Catastrophe. and how different would the Mavs off season have been had they have known he would have done this from the beginning. perhaps Hibbert to the mavs instead of the lakers ??

Correct!

This is one of the most ***** *** moves I've seen from an athlete who's a free agent in my time of watching sports....what a mentally unstable piece of ****........bastard

ManRam
07-09-2015, 11:15 AM
It's his right to change his mind, because that's the point of the moratorium period. You don't have to commit at any particular time. I dont care what his agent pushed him to do, he is a grown man. Dont commit so early. He wanted to be wined and dined and then left the mavs with the worst case of blue balls. And when teams commit "years" to players then trade them, its considered business. What he did does leave a bad taste in my mouth, but there are shady dealings all the time. I think Dwight's situation was about even with this one. Dwight's just took years to unfold.

Yeah. It blows my mind how outraged people are over this. Sucks for the Mavs. Sucks for Cuban. But it's his decision and until that name hits paper, he can decide whatever he wants.

And the Clippers didn't do anything wrong either. Desperate? Sure. But it was the moratorium, he hadn't signed with Dallas, so they had every right to meet with him. It worked, so good on them.

FYL_McVeezy
07-09-2015, 11:31 AM
As a man I have no respect for someone who goes back on their word no matter who you are end of story....especially without at least giving the Mavs proper courtesy...I guess integrity means more to some then others....its only sports in the grand scheme of things, however if it was your team he dicked like that you would be a little mad too so stop it...

Anyways the only solution to help deter this in the future is to shorten the moratorium period in free agency or get rid of it altogether....not sure why it's that long to being with

nickdymez
07-09-2015, 11:37 AM

Agreed. People are saying because your a Lakers fan you feel this way. Lakers fan or not the truth is the truth.

FYL_McVeezy
07-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Agreed. People are saying because your a Lakers fan you feel this way. Lakers fan or not the truth is the truth.

WWE = NBA even a blind person can see it......

I don't put too much stock into it anymore I just enjoy it for what it is I guess....

ManRam
07-09-2015, 11:53 AM

The gift and the curse of the Twitter Era and the increased media attention. We now are clued into just about everything and clued in almost instantly. It's just different times. I would have loved to have seen what the Kobe v Shaq beefs were like in the Twitter Era. I would have loved to have seen the Tim Duncan-to-Orlando stuff unravel right before our eyes via Twitter. I'm sure there's so much we've missed over time that's super-soapy stuff. A lot of it comes out way later and no one cares.

The times are different. 1) You can't escape the media and 2) if you want the media, it's far more accessible.

This stuff doesn't impact the quality of the game. It's just soapy stuff. There's always been soapy stuff, we just find out about it all now and find out about it instantly. NBA players are humans, and humans are going to be prone to making these types of decisions/mistakes. We just, again, know about it all right away...that's what's different.

Vinylman
07-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Yeah. It blows my mind how outraged people are over this. Sucks for the Mavs. Sucks for Cuban. But it's his decision and until that name hits paper, he can decide whatever he wants.

And the Clippers didn't do anything wrong either. Desperate? Sure. But it was the moratorium, he hadn't signed with Dallas, so they had every right to meet with him. It worked, so good on them.

Again... it will all come out but the douchey part is how he handled it.

He didn't man up and just call Cuban and say "hey, I am having second thoughts and I wanted you to hear from me first" Reports are that he basically is hiding like a little school girl...

It is unfortunate for Dallas but it really isn't surprising when we all know how feeble minded DJ is...

Thumper 88
07-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Yeah Parsons is definitely a keeper

Chronz
07-09-2015, 12:23 PM
Brand recruited Baron then ditched him. That's worse. The decision raised millions for children iirc. Wish more of that horrid thing happened more often

Chronz
07-09-2015, 12:26 PM
the real issue is how to avoid teams getting caught in this situation in the future. If he changed his mind- he could have went to dallas after he signed and requested a trade- then atleast dallas could have had some control over the max contract.

what should a team do to make sure a verbal agreement is honored? Send armed guards with the player for the next 8 or 9 days to make sure no other teams get near him? Should they have the player sign an "intent to sign"? Should there be a rule for other teams going after a guy who has already signed.

AND LOL at the clippers fans saying deandre reached out to the clippers- yet the whole organization winds up 2000 miles across the country in his houston house? LOl it wasnt deandre in los angelos talking with the owner.

Do away with the moratorium?

Chronz
07-09-2015, 12:28 PM
He's an allnba center in a league devoid of them and he's also the kind of center that destroys small ball. Not that good but He's among the best

smith&wesson
07-09-2015, 12:30 PM
I don't think Jordan did anything at all. He looked at the Mavs roster and probably thought "**** what am I doing" lol

Dirk is old, you cant blame Jordan for not wanting to leave Blake and Paul in their respective prime. If he went to the Mavs it would have been career suicide.

smith&wesson
07-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Yeah Parsons is definitely a keeper

injury prone and over paid if you ask me.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Pretty cool that Cuban gave Wes an out and he said no, this is where I want to be

What was the deal with that tweet he sent out "If DJ goes, I go" or something like that?

I swear to God... Twitter is the worst. It should only be reserved for certain people. You should have to pass a test or something to be allowed to tweet.

FYL_McVeezy
07-09-2015, 12:42 PM
What was the deal with that tweet he sent out "If DJ goes, I go" or something like that?

I swear to God... Twitter is the worst. It should only be reserved for certain people. You should have to pass a test or something to be allowed to tweet.

I dont think that tweet was from a verified account

Jamiecballer
07-09-2015, 12:44 PM

it's far far worse, simply because of the amount of guilty parties in this whole thing. it's totally back-ally, character-less, coward-like behaviour on a whole bunch of peoples part. and Lebrons decision didn't **** over an entire franchise like this did to Dallas.

infernoscurse
07-09-2015, 12:45 PM
i think this is the worst. Thats like you getting engaged to be married to someone you really like, she says yes, you have good options to bang that you turn down caus you are focused on this girl you are going to marry, they go on and move on, you invest into building a house around what this girl wants and then hhour before the wedding she goes running back to her ex and doesnt even have the balls to sit down with you to tell you to your face.

He didnt do it to my team but he is scum

infernoscurse
07-09-2015, 12:47 PM
cant wait to watch te clippers play at dallas, i hope deandre breaks his leg at the game and is spat on while carted out of the arena

Chronz
07-09-2015, 12:53 PM
WWE = NBA even a blind person can see it......

I don't put too much stock into it anymore I just enjoy it for what it is I guess....
All sports = the wwe. Especially in the Twitter era

Chronz
07-09-2015, 12:58 PM
i think this is the worst. Thats like you getting engaged to be married to someone you really like, she says yes, you have good options to bang that you turn down caus you are focused on this girl you are going to marry, they go on and move on, you invest into building a house around what this girl wants and then hhour before the wedding she goes running back to her ex and doesnt even have the balls to sit down with you to tell you to your face.

He didnt do it to my team but he is scum
Literally not even close to half of that. It's more like you got engaged but then ditched at the altar while you paid a moderate expense it's still the *****es right to find you repulsive

ManRam
07-09-2015, 12:59 PM
cant wait to watch te clippers play at dallas, i hope deandre breaks his leg at the game and is spat on while carted out of the arena

well then...

you call him scum...

FYL_McVeezy
07-09-2015, 01:02 PM
All sports = the wwe. Especially in the Twitter era

Cant argue there.....

WVNowitzki
07-09-2015, 01:16 PM

This is so incredibly absurd. First, free to make a decision, sure, which he did. He also *****ed out and didn't say anything for a week, thus handcuffing the Mavs into having 0 room to try and sign and or even attempt to go get anyone else.

So you are saying Mavs should of had commitments from Deandre, Tyson and maybe Roy Hibbert JUST in case one of the other guy doesn't sign. You are delusional pal. What person is gonna sit around and wait when they have other offers? What guy is gonna sit around and feel like a backup plan, when other teams want them now.

I have to think you are a teenager who doesn't know how the real world works and no one is responsible for their actions.

You can't sit back and say the mavs in hindsight should of done that. This is an unprecedented move, that has essentially tanked Dallas's season and potential future seasons.

Grow up.

Chromehounds
07-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Not that I like the Mavs, but DJ is a smuck. A man without his word is not a man, and he showed in. Was afraid to tell/meet Cuban, what a pussie!

MassoDio
07-09-2015, 01:35 PM
The issue is not with the idea of DJ having the right to back out. He absolutely has that right. (Even though it does completely screw the Mavs because of the money being tied up and other free agents already signing elsewhere.)

The major issue here, and what puts the doucheyness over the top, is that he didn't answer any calls or texts from the Mavs. Cuban or Parsons. He didn't have the common courtesy or the testicular fortitude to own up to his Mavs-Free-Agency-options-screw over. He hid in his house with all of his Clipper cronies, allowed Pierce to send out pictures on Twitter of him signing the contract at the minute he was able to, without ever talking to anyone with the Mavs. That is where he was not being a man. That is where HE is at fault in this whole situation.

The biggest problem is with this whole idea of a moratorium. Others have mentioned it in this thread, but there should be no moratorium. Free Agency should be before the draft, and free agents should be able to sign contracts the day free agency opens. The issue is with, what others have mentioned, is the idea that the NBA stay in the public eye as much as possible. If the move the Free Agency before the draft, but want to wait until the salary cap is set, that means pushing both free agency back, and the draft even further back to accommodate. The NBA is not going to give a whole month of public attention away to try to help this situation, unless there is a major fight for it in the CBA. (Which, with this happening to Cuban, I can see that as being a strong possibility.)

aussie
07-09-2015, 01:35 PM
this happens in Australian sport all the time...mainly rugby league

Jeffy25
07-09-2015, 01:38 PM
how is it a schmuck move?

Did he sign his deal and then try to back out?

Scoots
07-09-2015, 01:39 PM
The Decision isn't in the top 3.

#1 is what Boozer did to the Cavs
#2 Kermit Washington's sucker punch of Rudy Tomjonavich
#3 The Malice at the Palace
#4 is what DJ did to the Mavs

(I guess you shouldn't be surprised if your team nickname has "avs" in it)

Jeffy25
07-09-2015, 01:41 PM
The issue is not with the idea of DJ having the right to back out. He absolutely has that right. (Even though it does completely screw the Mavs because of the money being tied up and other free agents already signing elsewhere.)

The major issue here, and what puts the doucheyness over the top, is that he didn't answer any calls or texts from the Mavs. Cuban or Parsons. He didn't have the common courtesy or the testicular fortitude to own up to his Mavs-Free-Agency-options-screw over. He hid in his house with all of his Clipper cronies, allowed Pierce to send out pictures on Twitter of him signing the contract at the minute he was able to, without ever talking to anyone with the Mavs. That is where he was not being a man. That is where HE is at fault in this whole situation.

The biggest problem is with this whole idea of a moratorium. Others have mentioned it in this thread, but there should be no moratorium. Free Agency should be before the draft, and free agents should be able to sign contracts the day free agency opens. The issue is with, what others have mentioned, is the idea that the NBA stay in the public eye as much as possible. If the move the Free Agency before the draft, but want to wait until the salary cap is set, that means pushing both free agency back, and the draft even further back to accommodate. The NBA is not going to give a whole month of public attention away to try to help this situation, unless there is a major fight for it in the CBA. (Which, with this happening to Cuban, I can see that as being a strong possibility.)

Okay, I understand better now.

infernoscurse
07-09-2015, 01:42 PM
noone cares what happens in australia this is Merica, How can we be a superpower when our word has no value, How can we run a country when a mans word means nothing! He is a shmuck and I will boo him even if he were at a pro charity rally

infernoscurse
07-09-2015, 01:45 PM
The Decision isn't in the top 3.

#1 is what Boozer did to the Cavs
#2 Kermit Washington's sucker punch of Rudy Tomjonavich
#3 The Malice at the Palace
#4 is what DJ did to the Mavs

(I guess you shouldn't be surprised if your team nickname has "avs" in it)

Malice at the palace is not even close to as bad, Those fans got what they deserved for being shmucks and throwing stuff at the players, These fans now days get away with murder, It should be part of the rules that if a fan throws stuff at a player he should be allowed to be punched in the face

Chronz
07-09-2015, 02:13 PM
how is it a schmuck move?

Did he sign his deal and then try to back out?

People still get it wrong. Its not a schmuck move, its a schmuck system. If you're allowed to reconsider your actions, and its COMPLETELY LEGAL, then its your RIGHT.

Dont hate the playa, hate the game. Cuban was SWINDLED, made to look like an idiot for going after someone he should have known was leaving a better situation. He had pipe dreams, they fall apart. Get over it and enjoy the rebuild. He could have avoided all of this by going for a title defense.

Chronz
07-09-2015, 02:17 PM
noone cares what happens in australia this is Merica, How can we be a superpower when our word has no value, How can we run a country when a mans word means nothing! He is a shmuck and I will boo him even if he were at a pro charity rally

Wait so ur argument is that verbal agreements (as opposed to written agreements) being reneged on only happen in America?

Plz you guys dont know NBA history much less life outside the NBA if you think this is that bad. Wilt Chamberlain lost out on owning a piece of his franchise ffs.

c.c.
07-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Chris Bosh kinda did the same thing last year

smith&wesson
07-09-2015, 02:28 PM
it's far far worse, simply because of the amount of guilty parties in this whole thing. it's totally back-ally, character-less, coward-like behaviour on a whole bunch of peoples part. and Lebrons decision didn't **** over an entire franchise like this did to Dallas.

yeah but Jamie, put yourself in DJ's shoes... would you sign with the mavs simply to keep your word and not piss people off ?

Personally I would do whats best for me and accept that ppl will be pissed of no matter what I chose. Clearly if I'm Jordan and looking at the rosters, Id pick the Clippers to. its a no brainer.

kyubi256
07-09-2015, 02:31 PM

He never verbally agreed to sign with Houston. The media all just thought he would.

DJ verbally agreed

infernoscurse
07-09-2015, 02:33 PM
yeah but Jamie, put yourself in DJ's shoes... would you sign with the mavs simply to keep your word and not piss people off ?

Personally I would do whats best for me and accept that ppl will be pissed of no matter what I chose. Clearly if I'm Jordan and looking at the rosters, Id pick the Clippers to. its a no brainer.

have the balls to let them know and have a sit down, not hide in your house and not answer phones like a wuss

likemystylez
07-09-2015, 02:40 PM

chris boshes camp always maintained they were undecided, and while the media said Houston was the front runner- he was still talking with other teams. not the same thing

likemystylez
07-09-2015, 02:42 PM
have the balls to let them know and have a sit down, not hide in your house and not answer phones like a wuss

the way he handled it kinda makes me think he planned on screwing dallas over the whole time

Thumper 88
07-09-2015, 03:34 PM
the way he handled it kinda makes me think he planned on screwing dallas over the whole time

That's what I was thinking

Clippersfan86
07-09-2015, 03:37 PM
That's what I was thinking

I don't see this as someone who's interacted with DJ personally before at games and everything I've ever heard/seen. I'll admit he's dumb, immature and mentally fragile. Easy to influence. But I can say with 100 percent confidence that he did NOT intend to hurt anyone man. Don't believe that conspiracy theory. DJ has a big heart, he's just a mental midget. I truly believe the reports that he felt pressured, didn't have balls to say no.. then didn't have balls to inform Dallas. It's pretty simple.

likemystylez
07-09-2015, 04:06 PM
I don't see this as someone who's interacted with DJ personally before at games and everything I've ever heard/seen. I'll admit he's dumb, immature and mentally fragile. Easy to influence. But I can say with 100 percent confidence that he did NOT intend to hurt anyone man. Don't believe that conspiracy theory. DJ has a big heart, he's just a mental midget. I truly believe the reports that he felt pressured, didn't have balls to say no.. then didn't have balls to inform Dallas. It's pretty simple.

LOl and what does it say about the clippers that they want to look like idiots to pay a mental midget 80 million dollars..... kind of a low class organization

Muttman73
07-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Remember when Fisher got the Jazz to release him so he could be with his sick daughter, then he signed with the Lakers?

That was pretty ******, LBJ is and always will be the King Douche Bag though, the "Decision" should have been called the "Collusion". Those three played the whole league, mocked everyone and then bragged about it.

Thumper 88
07-09-2015, 04:20 PM
Fisher did the same thing to the Mavs.. Left for a family emergency then signed with OKC two weeks later.

Chronz
07-09-2015, 04:20 PM
LOl and what does it say about the clippers that they want to look like idiots to pay a mental midget 80 million dollars..... kind of a low class organization

It says they are willing to listen and go all out for an All-NBA center in the hopes of competing now. Its not low class to know your players

infernoscurse
07-09-2015, 05:00 PM
deandre is the worst human being on earth , right now i think hitler is first but DJ is without a doubt top 15

likemystylez
07-09-2015, 11:50 PM
It says they are willing to listen and go all out for an All-NBA center in the hopes of competing now. Its not low class to know your players

didnt they tank in the second round of the playoffs with that core though- if they were all about winning why did they just give up against houston

mrblisterdundee
07-09-2015, 11:57 PM
Yeah; DeAndre Jordan is kind of a moronic man-baby. But he made the right decision, regardless of ethics.

Clippersfan86
07-10-2015, 12:01 AM
didnt they tank in the second round of the playoffs with that core though- if they were all about winning why did they just give up against houston

Didn't give up. No depth had Paul/Griffin/DJ playing 40+ mpg in a grueling 7 game series vs Spurs and especially vs Rockets when CP3 went down and Blake played like 44 mpg. Still shouldn't of lost, but fatigue definitely the main reason. Hard to win with 5 or 6 NBA worthy players on a playoff roster.

east fb knicks
07-10-2015, 12:12 AM
What Elton Brand did to Baron Davis is a million times worse tbh that move was worse then the lethot decision

Jamiecballer
07-10-2015, 08:33 AM

i guess it comes down to values, S&W. is a promise not a promise if you can't be held legally to it? sure it is. there were major consequences set in motion for many many parties the moment he agreed.

if you decide the next morning that you've made a horrible mistake, be a man, hurry to the nearest phone (or airport) and explain your mistake. then you don't look near as bad, and the Mavericks can move quickly to reallocate their assets.

what i would do, personally, is suck it up. there are far worse things than having to make a half a zillion dollars to play a game in a great city like Dallas. count yourself lucky, accept that you will feel disappointed for a few weeks, and honor your commitment. it's not just about him.

likemystylez
07-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Yeah; DeAndre Jordan is kind of a moronic man-baby. But he made the right decision, regardless of ethics.

I dont think anybody has a problem taking the clippers over the mavs. If he just told cuban last week that he didnt think the mavs would be as good as the clippers and he wasnt interested- I doubt people would even be talking about this.

Not only did he not pick up the phone and call the mavs- he didnt even answer their incoming calls because hed rather be playing video games? I mean come on. this is a mess he created, and I know he likes video games- but thats a joke. Also the fact that the entire clippers organization basically believes Jordan handled the situation the right way..... I know they want him but for doc to come out and say that ... just kinda blows me away

Saddletramp
07-10-2015, 10:07 AM

Cuban have him another $13 million though after Wes tweeted his wasn't signing if Jordan didn't sign. Either to buy his loyalty or..............no, he just bought his loyalty.

likemystylez
07-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Cuban have him another $13 million though after Wes tweeted his wasn't signing if Jordan didn't sign. Either to buy his loyalty or..............no, he just bought his loyalty.

LOl so he offered him another 13 million- then turned around and said- you dont have to sign if you dont want- I understand. What a strange way of doing business. Thatd confuse the hell out of me if an employer did that.

Saddletramp
07-10-2015, 10:27 AM
I think giving Wes that extra money was to hit the tax ceiling (or so I heard), but why wouldn't you give that extra money to actual loyal guys like Charlie V or Richard Jefferson on their one year deals? With Wes, it's spread out over 4 years so it's a little over $3 million extra a year. I guess that won't matter as much with the cap going up but $3 million is still $3 million.

Whole thing seems fishy from how Cuban is presenting it.

Thumper 88
07-10-2015, 10:38 AM

No. Cuban promised him he would get whatever was leftover after DJ which was about 13m. Since DJ didn't sign Cuban kept his word.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that tweet from a fake account?

Thumper 88
07-10-2015, 10:41 AM
I think giving Wes that extra money was to hit the tax ceiling (or so I heard), but why wouldn't you give that extra money to actual loyal guys like Charlie V or Richard Jefferson on their one year deals? With Wes, it's spread out over 4 years so it's a little over $3 million extra a year. I guess that won't matter as much with the cap going up but $3 million is still $3 million.

Whole thing seems fishy from how Cuban is presenting it.

Yeah I thought they were trying to hit the cap floor. But now it looks like they are going to try and complete this year since they don't think they will be bad enough to be bottom 7 since Celtics own their pick which is top 7 protected

Saddletramp
07-10-2015, 10:48 AM
No. Cuban promised him he would get whatever was leftover after DJ which was about 13m. Since DJ didn't sign Cuban kept his word.

That's a huge promise. I guess Cubsn just messed up then.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that tweet from a fake account?

ehhhh, who knows at this point.

Vee-Rex
07-10-2015, 10:50 AM
No way is this worse than what Carlos Boozer did. We had him under contract and he promised to sign a bigger deal with us if we released him from the contact. Then he immediately fled to Utah.

Saddletramp
07-10-2015, 10:50 AM
Yeah I thought they were trying to hit the cap floor. But now it looks like they are going to try and complete this year since they don't think they will be bad enough to be bottom 7 since Celtics own their pick which is top 7 protected

Tanking is pretty awful but it worked out for the Warriors. I think their pick was top 7 protected, too.

Thumper 88
07-10-2015, 10:51 AM
That's a huge promise. I guess Cubsn just messed up then.

ehhhh, who knows at this point.

Dude I know smh.. That's a promise he should have broke.. But then what kind presidents would that set with others players want to come?

Thumper 88
07-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Tanking is pretty awful but it worked out for the Warriors. I think their pick was top 7 protected, too.
It would be best to tank atm but with Dirk not wanting to leave, Parsons, Wes & Rick no way they will be bottom 7

Saddletramp
07-10-2015, 10:52 AM
No way is this worse than what Carlos Boozer did. We had him under contract and he promised to sign a bigger deal with us if we released him from the contact. Then he immediately fled to Utah.

I've always hated Boozer. Just seems like a low class thug.

Saddletramp
07-10-2015, 10:54 AM
Dude I know smh.. That's a promise he should have broke.. But then what kind presidents would that set with others players want to come?

Yeah, props to keeping it real if that's true. But who knows with any of this stuff. They let us know what they want us to know, and I don't just believe all of it. There's no way that Cuban would come out and say Wes wanted to leave but I told him he can have another $13 million and he shrugged his shoulders and said "Oh, alright."

Thumper 88
07-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Yeah who knows.. This came from Marc Fisher and that could be Cuban just giving him a reason..

Vee-Rex
07-10-2015, 11:10 AM
I remember meeting Boozer while I worked at a restaurant in 2003 (I was 16). Dude was the biggest jerk ever. He was with some chick and treated the waiter like **** too.

But anyway this really blow for the Mavs and their fans. Always been a big fan of Dirk so it sucks to see him in this position so late in his career.

Saddletramp
07-10-2015, 11:16 AM
I remember meeting Boozer while I worked at a restaurant in 2003 (I was 16). Dude was the biggest jerk ever. He was with some chick and treated the waiter like **** too.

But anyway this really blow for the Mavs and their fans. Always been a big fan of Dirk so it sucks to see him in this position so late in his career.

Yeah, I'm from the Dallas area and grew up a Mavs fan but after moving to the Houston area and Cuban hiring a bunch of dickfaces in the late 00's, I made the switch and now I loathe them/Cuban.

Always liked Dirk, though but even that I'm starting to wane on.

Vee-Rex
07-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I'm from the Dallas area and grew up a Mavs fan but after moving to the Houston area and Cuban hiring a bunch of dickfaces in the late 00's, I made the switch and now I loathe them/Cuban.

Always liked Dirk, though but even that I'm starting to wane on.

I really like Houston. Planning on moving there within the next few years. I can't stand Cuban either so I don't feel sorry for him one bit

valade16
07-10-2015, 12:03 PM

Yeah, on the douche-o-meter what Boozer did was way worse than what DeAndre Jordan did.

Shlumpledink
07-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Imagine if Kobe or Lebron did this? The backlash would be immense and extravagant

Saddletramp
07-10-2015, 12:34 PM
I really like Houston. Planning on moving there within the next few years. I can't stand Cuban either so I don't feel sorry for him one bit

It gets a bad rap, but after being here (actually I live in Galveston) for 13 years, I dig it more than I did Dallas, where I spent 23 of my first 24 years. It's no SF or Miami Beach, but it's got a lot to offer.

ghettosean
07-10-2015, 12:40 PM
2nd worse? There is no way the decision was worse than this. He totally screwed them. Apparently he knew his intentions since Monday. Why wait till the day before contacts could be signed to reveal your intentions. He should have been a man about it and let them know so they could adjust. This is horrible. But im so glad it happened to Cuban. Lmao

I don't know about that... Lebron publicly said he was never leaving Cleveland until he won them a championship and the next year he bolted in a even more public manner then dances on stage with him, Bosh and Wade gloating about how many championships he's going to win. Seems like the decision is way worse to me.

JWO35
07-10-2015, 12:47 PM
I think it's worse because he already said he was going to the Mavs.

This

The only way The Decision would have topped that would be him announcing "he's taking his talents to South Beach." and then the next day sign back with the Cavs

GordonGecko
07-10-2015, 12:51 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJjvdMhVEAA7TRz.png:large

"on a date" lol, DA is banging Steve Balmer

prodigy
07-10-2015, 01:18 PM
IDK what all happened, But if DJ looked the Mavs in the eyes and said i accept. I cant wait to play for u guys etc... Then he is a major D-bag loser.

But if DJ's agent accepted the contract then DJ himself changed his mind that's fine to me.

A man only has 2 things, His word and his dick. If u break ur word then you are nothing but a dick.

PraiseJesus
07-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Deandre Jordan???

... rot in hell

Aust
07-10-2015, 01:27 PM
He's a loser, plain and simple. I don't think too highly of the Clips either.

likemystylez
07-10-2015, 01:30 PM
IDK what all happened, But if DJ looked the Mavs in the eyes and said i accept. I cant wait to play for u guys etc... Then he is a major D-bag loser.

But if DJ's agent accepted the contract then DJ himself changed his mind that's fine to me.

A man only has 2 things, His word and his dick. If u break ur word then you are nothing but a dick.

charming...

likemystylez
07-10-2015, 01:35 PM

yeah- but the cavs could have said no when he wanted to get out of his contract. the cavs had more control over the situation than dallas did. what was dallas suppose to do? chain Jordan to the wall in Cubans basement until signing period started?

not an honorable thing by boozer at all- but cleveland allowed it to happen and made it possible for boozer to pull it off. Has boozer ever attempted to address his side of the story on that LOL...

Saddletramp
07-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Didn't Nash do something similar to the Boozer thing to Dallas? He might not have asked to get out early to re-sign, but Cuban said he'd match anything, just to come back. Nash got an offer from Phoenix and just never talked again to Cuban before signing with the Suns. Right? Or am I wrong?

likemystylez
07-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Didn't Nash do something similar to the Boozer thing to Dallas? He might not have asked to get out early to re-sign, but Cuban said he'd match anything, just to come back. Nash got an offer from Phoenix and just never talked again to Cuban before signing with the Suns. Right? Or am I wrong?

don't know if nash went back on his word, I remember that summer dallas seemed more interested in bringing in Erick dampier than they did resigning steve nash, and the suns treated him like a god.....so nash didn't see a reason to play both teams against eachother- he just left dallas (which he had the right to do as a free agent). I don't think he lied to anybody

Saddletramp
07-10-2015, 02:26 PM
don't know if nash went back on his word, I remember that summer dallas seemed more interested in bringing in Erick dampier than they did resigning steve nash, and the suns treated him like a god.....so nash didn't see a reason to play both teams against eachother- he just left dallas (which he had the right to do as a free agent). I don't think he lied to anybody

Oh, don't get me wrong, it wasn't illegal or lying or anything, but it was kind of douchey.

WestCoastSportz
07-10-2015, 02:35 PM
At first, I thought that Jordan was being an *** by reneging the Maverick's offer. As I listen to all arguments from both sides, I got to sit back and really analyze the situation. An analogy that came to mind was...if you quit your and verbally accept a position at a new place, are you under contract and expected to join that new job? Legally. No. Then your old job swoops in and says, come back to work here and we'll pay you more than you made and more than the other employer is willing to pay you. What would you do? Its a no brainer for me.

Jordan could of went about it a whole different way though. He could of told Cuban that it was a great offer, but let me think about it for a few more days and get back to you. But he didn't do that. What was so douchey ws that he pretty much avoided Mark Cuban and his calls saying that he was on a date. I never liked Jordan anyways, so this doesn't really change my perception of him either way.

Jamiecballer
07-10-2015, 03:24 PM

yeah, that is more unethical, but since it screwed over fewer people it's easier to forget. good call.

D-Leethal
07-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Definitely the most pathetic

Jamiecballer
07-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Definitely the most pathetic

yeah, if i understand what you are referring to. What Boozer did was slimy and underhanded; very used-car salesmen like. Jordan just comes off as a really ****ing pathetic individual. Stand up and be a man for the love of god.

dtmagnet
07-10-2015, 04:17 PM
He needed to notify Dallas as soon as he changed his mind so they could utilize that cap space on other free agents. But he decided to be a cowardly prick instead.

Scoots
07-11-2015, 07:59 PM
There is no way to tell the story that puts DJ in the right to commit to one team, not tell them anything for a week then change his mind. An adult has to be up-front about what he's doing, particularly when he knew full well that not saying anything would severely damage one team and his friends.

R. Johnson#3
07-11-2015, 09:15 PM
He clearly can't be trusted. I mean the Clippers literally held him hostage until he could sign a contract.

Jamiecballer
07-11-2015, 09:42 PM
He clearly can't be trusted. I mean the Clippers literally held him hostage until he could sign a contract.
Lol then there is that too.

Is it me or do all these details not point to a man likely to disappoint once he's got the big payday.

Clippersfan86
07-11-2015, 10:39 PM

That's what Woj who's main source is none other than Dan Fegan wanted you to believe. Multiple videos/pics have now been posted showing DJ/Blake hanging out in an open garage and doors open. People were coming and going all night. DJ's family went to get fried chicken. JJ Redick gave a detailed account on the situation here.

http://cdn16.castfire.com/audio/303/2889/25370/2517060/lowepost_2015-07-10-130500-6427-0-1-0.128.mp3?cdn_id=33&uuid=55ce26d623df74422f1c71d533f87b7e&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fgrantland.com%2F

nastynice
07-12-2015, 12:45 AM
That's what Woj who's main source is none other than Dan Fegan wanted you to believe. Multiple videos/pics have now been posted showing DJ/Blake hanging out in an open garage and doors open. People were coming and going all night. DJ's family went to get fried chicken. JJ Redick gave a detailed account on the situation here.

http://cdn16.castfire.com/audio/303/2889/25370/2517060/lowepost_2015-07-10-130500-6427-0-1-0.128.mp3?cdn_id=33&uuid=55ce26d623df74422f1c71d533f87b7e&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fgrantland.com%2F

I don't think he literally meant like hostage with his hands tied behind his back, blindfolded, and a gun to his head, lol!!!

Clippersfan86
07-12-2015, 01:37 AM
I don't think he literally meant like hostage with his hands tied behind his back, blindfolded, and a gun to his head, lol!!!

Like my sig??

likemystylez
07-12-2015, 10:19 AM

Seriously, clippersfan86 makes it sound like people think the clippers straight went ariel castro on deandre.

I think its funny though- that doc rivers comes out and says cuban needed to talk to deandre jordans agent, thats what an agent is for. Jordan had no responsibility to talk to him. Meanwhile, doc rivers and most of the clippers organization decide not to talk to jordans agent (whos in the same city as the clippers, and travel 2000 miles across the country and wind up playing video games in his house.....

BTW for all the people blaming dan fegan, has anybody seen any reports of Jordan firing Fegan or looking for new representation?

warfelg
07-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Seriously, clippersfan86 makes it sound like people think the clippers straight went ariel castro on deandre.

I think its funny though- that doc rivers comes out and says cuban needed to talk to deandre jordans agent, thats what an agent is for. Jordan had no responsibility to talk to him. Meanwhile, doc rivers and most of the clippers organization decide not to talk to jordans agent (whos in the same city as the clippers, and travel 2000 miles across the country and wind up playing video games in his house.....

BTW for all the people blaming dan fegan, has anybody seen any reports of Jordan firing Fegan or looking for new representation?

to me this is where the whole thing gets very very strange. I can get if he had no clue how to tell Cuban. But he left his agent out of the loop. He hasn't talked to him since the Dallas agreement. He's paying this guy millions to do nothing right now.

Situations like this are exactly what agents are for.

Clippersfan86
07-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Actually Doc DID say that Fegan knew DJ wanted to go back to the Clippers. He was basically implying Fegan didn't do his job and get the news to Mark. This is all speculation of course but DJ avoiding Fegan makes sense when you consider he was the one who sold him the Dallas pipe dream to begin with to do his buddy Mark Cuban a favor after losing out on his client Dwight last time. Why would you call the men who you felt conned by in Mark/Fegan? He probably doesn't trust them.

Also It's safe to assume he will be finding a new agent given how this has played out. Fegan sent agents from the firm to sign off on DJ's contract.

PS. stylz I never said it was a hostage situation. That's what Fegan was feeding Woj who practically said they were barricaded up inside.

Also... PERSONALLY as I said many times I do think DJ was a coward about it. I would of called Cuban Sunday or Monday when I first changed my mind. That being said... something is clearly fishy and I wouldn't be surprised if DJ had a lot more going on between Cuban/Fegan than we know. On the outside it looks so black and white but I'm sure they is way more.

Which is why I'm bummed that Woj is Fegan's mouth piece. Normally after something like this... Woj will have a huge article with all these juicy details. Guess what juicy details with this story? Nada. Just a basic article.