PDA

View Full Version : Bucks moving to Vegas or Seattle?

hotdalton18
07-07-2015, 07:31 PM
http://www.slamonline.com/nba/bucks-president-nba-to-move-team-to-las-vegas-or-seattle-without-arena-deal/#XvfUqFewAFWPRAoi.97

A few months ago i made a thread about Las Vegas building a couple stadiums trying to lure pro sports

The first one Built by MGM is set to be open by next January

Having the bucks in Vegas would be awsome !!!!

Thoughts?

Thumper 88
07-07-2015, 08:00 PM
Seattle please

RLundi
07-07-2015, 08:07 PM
I doubt it. They just rebranded and have a good young team with decent energy around the city (I imagine, I can't be sure). I think there's invigoration for the Bucks in Milwaukee and they won't move anytime soon, least of all places Las Vegas. Also, Seattle won't get an NBA team until the middle of the next decade at the earliest.

numba1CHANGsta
07-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Seattle, LV should never be allowed to own a team, can you imagine the distractions the players will go through?

NateyB24
07-07-2015, 08:26 PM
Seattle please

Don't get your hopes up Seattle and Las Vegas is just a threat so the NBA can get new stadiums.

Also weren't the Bucks sold not to long ago? I remember Hansen trying to buy them but the owner wanted them to stay and sold them to someone else for a cheaper bid.

Giannis94
07-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Seattle isn't happy with Durant?

YAALREADYKNO
07-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Seattle, LV should never be allowed to own a team, can you imagine the distractions the players will go through?

I think it would be kinda cool to have a Professional sports team out in Las Vegas lol

hotdalton18
07-07-2015, 09:51 PM

U mean like NY? Or LA? Or Mia where players party all the time?

Cut it out

hotdalton18
07-07-2015, 09:52 PM

I think it would be kinda cool to have a Professional sports team out in Las Vegas lol

As someone who lives here it for sure would lol

blahblahyoutoo
07-07-2015, 10:03 PM
vegas is a horrible location. it's a tourist city so the fan base will be non-existent.

Mayweather&NYK
07-07-2015, 10:08 PM
vegas is a horrible location. it's a tourist city so the fan base will be non-existent.

Ha haha hahaha

Funniest comment in a while..... been in Vegas most of my life, this town has been dying to have a major league team, and the tourists on the strip have zero to do with that desire.... so funny....

hotdalton18
07-07-2015, 10:13 PM

Yah , stupid comment

We have 600,000 people in Henderson(10 minutes from vegas who want teams) btw okc has 600,000

Then where the team would be we have another 600,000

This is a comment by a person who has no real idea how it is here

Tourist are so none of is have a state tax....there is tons locals tho

kingkenny01
07-07-2015, 10:59 PM
This is just an empty threat by the ownership so they have to pay less for the stadium, they have until nov. 2017 to have approved stadium not built. Plus the owners would only $25 mil if bought back from the nba when they have over $100 mil profit if they sold on the open market. No way the owners let that money go.

hotdalton18
07-07-2015, 11:15 PM
This is just an empty threat by the ownership so they have to pay less for the stadium, they have until nov. 2017 to have approved stadium not built. Plus the owners would only $25 mil if bought back from the nba when they have over $100 mil profit if they sold on the open market. No way the owners let that money go.

Yah nov 2017 is a long ways away

Thumper 88
07-07-2015, 11:16 PM
One would imagine that every home game would have lots of the opposing teams fans. I know I would plan my vacation around my favorite team playing in Vegas

sixer04fan
07-07-2015, 11:59 PM
Honest question. Is the actual city and surrounding suburban region of Las Vegas large enough to really support and sustain and NBA team?

I've been a few times and it's great and all. Love it actually. Sorry if this sounds ignorant but it seems like the rest of the city/surrounding area is pretty small beyond the strip. It's a great destination for a trip, but they can't count on visitors to go out of their way to go sit down and watch a basketball game while they're in town. It's not like that happens much in other cities. So what's the true support potential of the home fanbase? Population size, GDP rank among urban areas, etc. Don't know if it's an ideal city for a professional sports team to relocate to.

hotdalton18
07-08-2015, 12:04 AM
Honest question. Is the actual city and surrounding suburban region of Las Vegas large enough to really support and sustain and NBA team?

I've been a few times and it's great and all. Love it actually. Sorry if this sounds ignorant but it seems like the rest of the city/surrounding area is pretty small beyond the strip. It's a great destination for a trip, but they can't count on visitors to go out of their way to go sit down and watch a basketball game while they're in town. It's not like that happens much in other cities. So what's the true support potential of the home fanbase? Population size, GDP rank among urban areas, etc. Don't know if it's an ideal city for a professional sports team to relocate to.

Las Vegas alone has an okc like population of over 600,000

Then 10 minutes away is henderson with another 600,000 people that have been dying for a team

nickdymez
07-08-2015, 12:16 AM

lmao. What an ignorant comment.

People who live in vegas arent to intrigued with the strip. That gets old fast. Vegas isnt any worse than LA or NY. There should be a pro team there

Bartlee23
07-08-2015, 12:23 AM

This is close to the correct answer. Lived in Chicago almost my whole life but been in Las Vegas last few years and Las Vegas is made up of a ton of transplants. It would be tough to sway a lot of people away from their hometown team. They wouldn't have an issue with attendance just having the fans going for the home team.

Kind of like when I use to always go up to Milwaukee for the Bulls games. Chicago Stadium/United Center North.

rocketfuel
07-08-2015, 01:09 AM
Vegas would be a good destination.... Can you imagine? They already have all these big shows there..... to add a sports team there would be another huge attraction. But, I can imagine how that would be a distraction for the players, home and visiting....

AKA TheMamba
07-08-2015, 01:11 AM
Used to live in Seattle, they deserve a team. OKC Memphis or Minnesota going out east in return though I would assume.

GREATNESS ONE
07-08-2015, 01:35 AM
Las Vegas Lucks!

KB24PG16
07-08-2015, 02:01 AM
vegas or stay in Milwaukee. seattle doesn't need a team right now after the blunder of schultz and city officials, thats on them.

Shady66
07-08-2015, 02:07 AM
Move to Vancouver you bastards and take my money

hotdalton18
07-08-2015, 02:20 AM
Las Vegas Lucks!

I like that lol

hotdalton18
07-08-2015, 02:21 AM

This is close to the correct answer. Lived in Chicago almost my whole life but been in Las Vegas last few years and Las Vegas is made up of a ton of transplants. It would be tough to sway a lot of people away from their hometown team. They wouldn't have an issue with attendance just having the fans going for the home team.

Kind of like when I use to always go up to Milwaukee for the Bulls games. Chicago Stadium/United Center North.

It would be like unlv basketball

For most if us locals , that's not our fav team...but we support them cause that's the hometown team

It would work

Orange&Black55
07-08-2015, 03:16 AM

People who live in Vegas aren't to intrigued with the strip. That gets old fast. Vegas isn't any worse than LA or NY. There should be a pro team there

I've lived in Vegas for 6 years and have been to the strip twice. The strip is for tourists, but there is a huge city that surrounds it, and this city is a Basketball city! The UNLV running rebels are our city team, and is followed as vigorously as many pro teams. Although we are close to getting an NHL team, (a big mistake in my eye's cause when it flounders here like most hockey teams in dessert areas do, it will hurt our chances of other pro teams), I personally think the best chance we have here of long turn sustainability of a pro team is an NBA team!

Vegas is a big city, and 95% of us have nothing to do with the strip except maybe work there. Not fair to call this just a tourist town. It's not the 80's anymore.

Our local radio people have pointed out that a team in Vegas would have a unique homecourt advantage, as the teams coming in to play them would be distracted by all the stuff to do here. They said teams that only make one trip a year here might "take a game off" as they're enjoying "Vegas", and it could mean a few stolen wins each year.

rocketfuel
07-08-2015, 03:27 AM
Vegas Bucks. Has a nice ring to it....though they might have to change it to $$$$ instead of the animal. Vegas doesn't have a sports team so it would be interesting. The people that are seeing the shows, gambling, might also want to catch a basketball game.

Big Zo
07-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Leagues don't wanna deal with the gambling issues, hence why no one has moved there, yet.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-08-2015, 10:34 AM
They already had a senate meeting. 12 are for it 5 against and 16 undecided. Wisconsin would lose a ton of income tax money from the Bucks players and visiting teams. Think they said $6M then with cap double in like 4 years could lose like $12M. State only has to pay like $2M to have the $6M. Bucks have to break ground by 2017.

Big Zo
07-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Plus if you live in Milwaukee, you can get 4 free beers a day, simply by taking the Miller Brewery tour.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-08-2015, 10:54 AM
A bunch of NBA players living in Vegas... not a great idea. Talk about distractions off the court lol.

72 Wins
07-08-2015, 12:02 PM
I've been to several Bulls games in Milwaukee over the years and it just doesn't seem that the fans really support the Bucks. Always plenty of seats available. Perhaps this changes this year in light of the recent playoff appearance and potential.

crewfan13
07-08-2015, 12:05 PM
As a Bucks fan, I am a little nervous about losing the team. I know these types of votes for sports stadiums are always very close and seem to get very bleak before they ultimately prevail. But we had Miller Park only pass by one vote a few years back, and the politician who changed his vote in the final hour to ultimately pass the deal got recalled and voted out of office. So politically, I'm sure there's nervous politicians out there worrying about the same backlash if they vote to raise taxes.

The arena deal on the table in Milwaukee is one of the better arena deals possible, as the city is usually charged to almost foot the entire bill. We are only going to be expected to foot half the bill in WI. However, there's a lot of proposed cuts elsewhere politically, and there's very much a political divide in the state that might make things very interesting on this vote. I think ultimately we pass a deal to get an arena built, but I don't think its quite as sure of thing as some people are tending to believe.

DeadWrestler
07-08-2015, 12:58 PM
Money wise Seattle make the most sense. Huge TV revenue in Seattle, and they already are planning on getting an NHL team during expansion, and if they get an NBA team too they will get a brand new stadium fast.

I got nothing against Milwaukee, but I go to Wisconsin quite often, and for the majority that state doesn't give a crap about the Bucks. They are at best 4th on their list of team, and in such a small state that's a bad place to be. It goes Packers, Packers, Packers, Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Bucks. I never like telling a fan base they don't deserve a team (because it insinuates that the ones that are actually loyal fans aren't good enough), but straight up they just aren't even a big attraction, and most people wouldn't care. It's the same thing I see with Missouri when you talk about the Rams. I swear 95% of people in that state don't give a crap about the Rams.

As for Las Vegas I don't think it would be smart at all for a team to go there. There are so many attractions in Vegas, and the T.V. revenue would probably be nothing. Not to mention where would the stadium go? Near the strip you are too close to the party. Too far out, and you're in the middle of no where. Also Vegas is still corrupt as ****. There's a reason UFC hates going to Vegas. Every time you go there you feel like a fight is about to be fixed (and it happens a lot), and it's bad for the sport. People already have an issue with the history of the NBA, and if more fixed games happen they will look like the WWE of professional sports.

hotdalton18
07-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Leagues don't wanna deal with the gambling issues, hence why no one has moved there, yet.

Idk if you'v been keeping up with the world

but you can online gamble from ANYWHERE

also sports gambling will soon be legal everywhere

DeadWrestler
07-08-2015, 01:09 PM

Yeah, but Vegas has a long history of illegitimate boxing matches, and UFC fights. I wouldn't want that corruption anywhere near my sport.

hotdalton18
07-08-2015, 01:11 PM
A bunch of NBA players living in Vegas... not a great idea. Talk about distractions off the court lol.

Ok so players dont party all the time in NY , MIA and LA?

hotdalton18
07-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Yeah, but Vegas has a long history of illegitimate boxing matches, and UFC fights. I wouldn't want that corruption anywhere near my sport.

thats because each state has a different fighting commission

NBA refs are the same for the whole league....and can gamble online and fix games now if they want

so theres no point to that

hotdalton18
07-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Money wise Seattle make the most sense. Huge TV revenue in Seattle, and they already are planning on getting an NHL team during expansion, and if they get an NBA team too they will get a brand new stadium fast.

I got nothing against Milwaukee, but I go to Wisconsin quite often, and for the majority that state doesn't give a crap about the Bucks. They are at best 4th on their list of team, and in such a small state that's a bad place to be. It goes Packers, Packers, Packers, Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Bucks. I never like telling a fan base they don't deserve a team (because it insinuates that the ones that are actually loyal fans aren't good enough), but straight up they just aren't even a big attraction, and most people wouldn't care. It's the same thing I see with Missouri when you talk about the Rams. I swear 95% of people in that state don't give a crap about the Rams.

As for Las Vegas I don't think it would be smart at all for a team to go there. There are so many attractions in Vegas, and the T.V. revenue would probably be nothing. Not to mention where would the stadium go? Near the strip you are too close to the party. Too far out, and you're in the middle of no where. Also Vegas is still corrupt as ****. There's a reason UFC hates going to Vegas. Every time you go there you feel like a fight is about to be fixed (and it happens a lot), and it's bad for the sport. People already have an issue with the history of the NBA, and if more fixed games happen they will look like the WWE of professional sports.

Theres already a new stadium almost done....could support hockey and basketball

"Vegas" is not corrupt lmao the fighting commission is

same refs do all the games in nba...team in vegas means nothing because theres ONLINE GAMBLING they could use now

muelly
07-08-2015, 01:15 PM

not to mention they've poured millions into the franchise already for arena plans, rebranding, recently been overpaying to buy up properties connecting arena to areas of city.

They're in this for the long haul.

muelly
07-08-2015, 01:19 PM
I've been to several Bulls games in Milwaukee over the years and it just doesn't seem that the fans really support the Bucks. Always plenty of seats available. Perhaps this changes this year in light of the recent playoff appearance and potential.

We were also god awful under Herb Kohl for the most part. Since new ownership there is a new buzz and interest in this team that should only grow. Anyone who was in MKE during the Karl era knows what this city and team is capable of.

muelly
07-08-2015, 01:23 PM
As a Bucks fan, I am a little nervous about losing the team. I know these types of votes for sports stadiums are always very close and seem to get very bleak before they ultimately prevail. But we had Miller Park only pass by one vote a few years back, and the politician who changed his vote in the final hour to ultimately pass the deal got recalled and voted out of office. So politically, I'm sure there's nervous politicians out there worrying about the same backlash if they vote to raise taxes.

The arena deal on the table in Milwaukee is one of the better arena deals possible, as the city is usually charged to almost foot the entire bill. We are only going to be expected to foot half the bill in WI. However, there's a lot of proposed cuts elsewhere politically, and there's very much a political divide in the state that might make things very interesting on this vote. I think ultimately we pass a deal to get an arena built, but I don't think its quite as sure of thing as some people are tending to believe.

I think they should just add the ticket surcharge that so many seem to want. I cant imagine the surcharge exceed $3 a ticket. Is there much difference in $100 to $103?

muelly
07-08-2015, 01:25 PM

same refs do all the games in nba...team in vegas means nothing because theres ONLINE GAMBLING they could use now

Vegas is a terrible idea for a franchise. Players/owners likely would be caught between gambling issues and/or mob issues. It's just bad business.

hotdalton18
07-08-2015, 01:41 PM
Vegas is a terrible idea for a franchise. Players/owners likely would be caught between gambling issues and/or mob issues. It's just bad business.

another dumb comment

Gambling is not an issue....Sports gambling would be....and as long as your not gambling on your games then who cares....if u are caught then your out the game forever

and like i already said.....ANYONE CAN ONLINE SPORTS BET.....so the idea that you would only do it cause your in vegas is stupid

not to mention its about to be legal everywhere in the states

and the mob ? really? when was the last time they were a big thing in vegas? Ill let u take a few guesses then u can come back when you actually know

crewfan13
07-08-2015, 01:41 PM

You aren't wrong on where the Bucks currently rank in the mind of the current WI sports fan, but I think that goes with winning and losing to an extent. The Packers are and likely will always be king. But also part of the reason the Packers are so popular right now is because they haven't had a sustained losing streak since the late 80s. Outside of some down years here and there, the Packers have been a serious threat to win the division almost every year for 20 years. The Brewers, while bad this season, have had some additional recent success that has drawn fans. In the early 2000s, when the Brewers were losing 100 games and the Bucks made a ECF, the Bucks were much more popular than the Brewers.

I could be wrong, but I'm assuming most markets, especially markets with multiple pro sports teams, attendance and team support always falls when a team has long stretches of losing. Heck, the Bucks haven't won a playoff series since 2001. If you look at attendance figures from back then, we were in the upper half of the league in attendance, but that's fallen as the quality of play has fallen, so has the fan support. Its no different than with teams like Sacremento and Minnesota, who were also in the top half in the league in attendance in 2001, but are now in the bottom third because of quality of product.

Maybe Milwaukee isn't super "deserving" of a basketball team, but I dont' think its really much different than most markets of similar size. There's rarely much buzz in any city around a team that consistently loses. Heck, the Cavs couldn't give away tickets prior to Lebron arriving. But with the improvements the Bucks are making, both on and off the court (rebranding and things like that), there's a ton of buzz in the area around the Bucks. I've been a Bucks fan for awhile, and couldn't talk to many friends or any co-workers and have them know anything about the Bucks. Now, the day after the draft, people are asking who this Vaughn is, and there's everyone aksing how Monroe fits the team. And the excitement that the Bucks are pulling in is especially rapid amongst the 30 and under demographic. As of right now, those types of people can't afford season tickets and things, but you see a lot more Bucks apparel out and about with the younger generations, all of whom will grow with the team and eventually be able to afford more season tickets and things. We aren't any more deserving than a city like Seattle or Las Vegas, but I hardly think we're less deserving.

Big Zo
07-08-2015, 02:12 PM

I'm well aware that you can online gamble anywhere. However, I'm pretty sure a big reason no pro team has moved there by now, is because they don't wanna be in the gambling capital of the world, and have people throwing money in players' faces, asking them to throw games on purpose. Also, I've never been to Vegas, so I don't know this, but: How many of the people that live there are natives, as opposed to transplants from surrounding areas? They may have the same issues we have here in Miami, where teams don't draw too well unless they're competitive, because most people are transplants with no strong ties to the area.

rhino17
07-08-2015, 02:16 PM
Milwaukee is a dying midwest market. From a business standpoint, Seattle makes a lot more sense. Sucks for bucks fans but its very understandable

DeadWrestler
07-08-2015, 02:21 PM
You aren't wrong on where the Bucks currently rank in the mind of the current WI sports fan, but I think that goes with winning and losing to an extent. The Packers are and likely will always be king. But also part of the reason the Packers are so popular right now is because they haven't had a sustained losing streak since the late 80s. Outside of some down years here and there, the Packers have been a serious threat to win the division almost every year for 20 years. The Brewers, while bad this season, have had some additional recent success that has drawn fans. In the early 2000s, when the Brewers were losing 100 games and the Bucks made a ECF, the Bucks were much more popular than the Brewers.

I could be wrong, but I'm assuming most markets, especially markets with multiple pro sports teams, attendance and team support always falls when a team has long stretches of losing. Heck, the Bucks haven't won a playoff series since 2001. If you look at attendance figures from back then, we were in the upper half of the league in attendance, but that's fallen as the quality of play has fallen, so has the fan support. Its no different than with teams like Sacremento and Minnesota, who were also in the top half in the league in attendance in 2001, but are now in the bottom third because of quality of product.

Maybe Milwaukee isn't super "deserving" of a basketball team, but I dont' think its really much different than most markets of similar size. There's rarely much buzz in any city around a team that consistently loses. Heck, the Cavs couldn't give away tickets prior to Lebron arriving. But with the improvements the Bucks are making, both on and off the court (rebranding and things like that), there's a ton of buzz in the area around the Bucks. I've been a Bucks fan for awhile, and couldn't talk to many friends or any co-workers and have them know anything about the Bucks. Now, the day after the draft, people are asking who this Vaughn is, and there's everyone aksing how Monroe fits the team. And the excitement that the Bucks are pulling in is especially rapid amongst the 30 and under demographic. As of right now, those types of people can't afford season tickets and things, but you see a lot more Bucks apparel out and about with the younger generations, all of whom will grow with the team and eventually be able to afford more season tickets and things. We aren't any more deserving than a city like Seattle or Las Vegas, but I hardly think we're less deserving.

I gotta admit I'm torn from what will happen. On one hand I think the Buck management in the past has been an embarrassment to the league, and their type of market is the exact type the NBA should try to avoid. A relatively small market with too many teams. OKC was different because even though the Sooners are huge they didn't have a single pro sports team.

Then I just hate the idea of small market teams just getting pushed out. Every team has its fans, and I don't think anyone deserves to just have all that memorabilia, and history thrown out the window. I mean the Bucks have been bad for awhile but they have some of the greatest players of all time in their history, and they even have a championship.

The reality of it though is the owners don't seem very interested in negotiating, and the city doesn't seem very interested in the Bucks. They are a small market with too many teams. Even though you're right about the attendance thing (and that goes for really any city that isn't LA or NY) the attendance will go down, but the thing is TV deals are now more important than your attendance for the bottom line, and Washington beats Nevada or Wisconsin by a lot in TV numbers because it's a much larger population than both, and it rains 9 months out of the year.

Also forgot to mention Seattle sports teams often get support from a big part of Montana/Alaska/Idaho, and have actually gotten a lot of national support because of the youtube fame of kids watching Payton/Kemp highlights. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's actually true.

hotdalton18
07-08-2015, 02:22 PM
I'm well aware that you can online gamble anywhere. However, I'm pretty sure a big reason no pro team has moved there by now, is because they don't wanna be in the gambling capital of the world, and have people throwing money in players' faces, asking them to throw games on purpose. Also, I've never been to Vegas, so I don't know this, but: How many of the people that live there are natives, as opposed to transplants from surrounding areas? They may have the same issues we have here in Miami, where teams don't draw too well unless they're competitive, because most people are transplants with no strong ties to the area.

There are transplants , im one.

but id love a team and id support it

they'll never take my Heat's spot but they can be a team i root for when not facing the heat

but there are lots of locals to

and NHL is already 100% confirmed

there moving into the same stadium the NBA team would that is opening in January

the people who live here

over 1,200,000

are dying for sports

weather there your fav or not we want to see it

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Doubt the Bucks move. The three new owners are billionaires each. They plan on spending another $1B in the surrounding land near the arena to develop. Doubt they let it be sold back to the NBA for what $585M? Believe they paid $500. Only $85M profit not enough for what they did for rebranding and what ever else then been doing besides a nice young core. Also Clippers went for $2B.

Doubt these owners came to buy and be forced to sell low. They be laughed at. Why Seattle? They couldn't get their arena deal right back when they had Ray Allen or Durant. Also Vegas would be a joke of a place to have NBA team. There be point shavings and probably hookers and other shady things going on. I could see plenty of young players in trouble or jail there. If anything should be 2 expansion teams and realign the conferences. Or just have the best 16 teams make playoffs. I say have the league come up with two cities for expansion. Probably Seattle and some other random city. Make the buy in over a $1B.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-is-exapansion-in-the-nba-next/

Nice read on suggesting expansion of 2 teams to NBA. Mentions the money teams would have to give up from the piece of pie to let two new teams in. Mentions these 6 cities, Seattle, Las Vegas, Anaheim, San Diego, Louisville and Kansas City. I wouldn't give California another team though. They already got like 4. Give a team to two states that don't have any with a new arena in place.

DeadWrestler
07-08-2015, 02:41 PM

they'll never take my Heat's spot but they can be a team i root for when not facing the heat

there moving into the same stadium the NBA team would that is opening in January

the people who live here

over 1,200,000

are dying for sports

I haven't read anywhere that it's 100% confirmed, but I have read that it's more than likely going to happen.

Still don't see how they would compete with the Sonics. Like I said they already have a developed fan base a long multiple states, and support of fans across the league. They will probably double the TV ratings of Vegas, and still be able to pull in good attendance.

hotdalton18
07-08-2015, 03:09 PM
I haven't read anywhere that it's 100% confirmed, but I have read that it's more than likely going to happen.

Still don't see how they would compete with the Sonics. Like I said they already have a developed fan base a long multiple states, and support of fans across the league. They will probably double the TV ratings of Vegas, and still be able to pull in good attendance.

the only hold up in the nfl was the owner lived in florida and his business was there

he moved to vegas and brought his business here

and there would be lots of hype for locals of a vegas team , most people i talk to here are dying for a team

DeadWrestler
07-08-2015, 03:51 PM
the only hold up in the nfl was the owner lived in florida and his business was there

he moved to vegas and brought his business here

and there would be lots of hype for locals of a vegas team , most people i talk to here are dying for a team

That might be true, but I think it doesn't change that Vegas is still a huge risk to move a team. I think they will and should get one eventually, but they shouldn't get one before Seattle. At least in my opinion. It just doesn't makes sense from any sort of business perspective.

RLundi
07-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Yah , stupid comment

We have 600,000 people in Henderson(10 minutes from vegas who want teams) btw okc has 600,000

This is not a good argument. 600,000 people is pretty puny.

If LV were granted a team, it would immediately be one of the least populated metro areas in the NBA. I think SLC is the least populated, followed by OKC. I could be wrong though. The point is, the metro area and market in whole is very small compared to the rest of the cities in the league. It would essentially be a small market team with a fan base made up of a lot of transplants and transients. Doesn't sound like a good combination IMO.

Wade n Fade
07-08-2015, 05:27 PM
I want Seattle to get another team.

crewfan13
07-08-2015, 06:11 PM
I gotta admit I'm torn from what will happen. On one hand I think the Buck management in the past has been an embarrassment to the league, and their type of market is the exact type the NBA should try to avoid. A relatively small market with too many teams. OKC was different because even though the Sooners are huge they didn't have a single pro sports team.

Then I just hate the idea of small market teams just getting pushed out. Every team has its fans, and I don't think anyone deserves to just have all that memorabilia, and history thrown out the window. I mean the Bucks have been bad for awhile but they have some of the greatest players of all time in their history, and they even have a championship.

The reality of it though is the owners don't seem very interested in negotiating, and the city doesn't seem very interested in the Bucks. They are a small market with too many teams. Even though you're right about the attendance thing (and that goes for really any city that isn't LA or NY) the attendance will go down, but the thing is TV deals are now more important than your attendance for the bottom line, and Washington beats Nevada or Wisconsin by a lot in TV numbers because it's a much larger population than both, and it rains 9 months out of the year.

Also forgot to mention Seattle sports teams often get support from a big part of Montana/Alaska/Idaho, and have actually gotten a lot of national support because of the youtube fame of kids watching Payton/Kemp highlights. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's actually true.

A couple points I'd like to refute though as well. First off, I would say that new ownership absolutely has shown a willingness to negotiate. Between Herb Kohl (former owner) and the new ownership group, they pledged $250 million of the projected $500 million to build the stadium. They've also picked an area where they can recruit more business to come in and instead of being just a sports arena, it would be an entertainment district. Really, the state is on the books for $250 million. According to an article in an area newspaper (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel), the national average for a city/state to pay for a sports arena is 65%. So right off the bat, the owners have already proposed a relatively favorable deal.

And I know Seattle has plans for a state of the art facility and all of that jazz, but if their local government was really dedicated to keeping and supporting a team, they likely wouldn't have lost their team. Maybe some of what happened has since changed, and they'd be more willing to work with people around the team now, but I fail to see how a city who's lost a team in a battle over money from a local government is a much better fit than a city who's currently in a similar boat. I get market size is bigger and all of that stuff, but the NBA has done fine in smaller markets outside of Milwaukee as well.

You're correct in saying that Seattle has a wide array of area to pull fanship from outside of the state as well. I know WI isn't the closest geographically, but relatively speaking, a competitive Milwaukee franchise has opportunities in Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota ect. There's a void in that part of the country as well that right now is being mostly filled (from a geographic standpoint) by Chicago, Milwaukee and Minnesota. Really, those markets are traveling a distance anyways to support a team, so you're best chance to pull them (same with Seattle vs LA in Idaho, Montana ect.) is to be the best team in a somewhat local market. Milwaukee can be that for some of those states, but they have to be better than Chicago and Minn. Its the same with places like Montana. They would watch a lot of Kemp/Payton highlights because those teams were good. I'm willing to bet the younger fans in those areas started to hitch more on to LA teams as the Lakers were good and Seattle struggled.

DeadWrestler
07-08-2015, 06:39 PM
A couple points I'd like to refute though as well. First off, I would say that new ownership absolutely has shown a willingness to negotiate. Between Herb Kohl (former owner) and the new ownership group, they pledged $250 million of the projected $500 million to build the stadium. They've also picked an area where they can recruit more business to come in and instead of being just a sports arena, it would be an entertainment district. Really, the state is on the books for $250 million. According to an article in an area newspaper (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel), the national average for a city/state to pay for a sports arena is 65%. So right off the bat, the owners have already proposed a relatively favorable deal.

And I know Seattle has plans for a state of the art facility and all of that jazz, but if their local government was really dedicated to keeping and supporting a team, they likely wouldn't have lost their team. Maybe some of what happened has since changed, and they'd be more willing to work with people around the team now, but I fail to see how a city who's lost a team in a battle over money from a local government is a much better fit than a city who's currently in a similar boat. I get market size is bigger and all of that stuff, but the NBA has done fine in smaller markets outside of Milwaukee as well.

You're correct in saying that Seattle has a wide array of area to pull fanship from outside of the state as well. I know WI isn't the closest geographically, but relatively speaking, a competitive Milwaukee franchise has opportunities in Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota ect. There's a void in that part of the country as well that right now is being mostly filled (from a geographic standpoint) by Chicago, Milwaukee and Minnesota. Really, those markets are traveling a distance anyways to support a team, so you're best chance to pull them (same with Seattle vs LA in Idaho, Montana ect.) is to be the best team in a somewhat local market. Milwaukee can be that for some of those states, but they have to be better than Chicago and Minn. Its the same with places like Montana. They would watch a lot of Kemp/Payton highlights because those teams were good. I'm willing to bet the younger fans in those areas started to hitch more on to LA teams as the Lakers were good and Seattle struggled.

The only problem with Seattle is it had a bad stadium. They now will have a new stadium. The one problem is fixed. Nothing else needs to be said. The past is the past, but the NBA was very forward with what they wanted. Seattle needs a stadium for an NBA team.

Of course the team will be less successful financially if they aren't successful teams. That's not a surprise to anyone however it's a non factor because the Bucks have been horrible and receiving no support from Milwaukee for years. There's a reason they are the literal lowest income team in the NBA with the 4th lowest attendance. Yeah that will probably change if they upgrade their stadium, but they will never pull the TV revenue that would be available in the Northwest, and at least if the team moved there would be a guaranteed revenue spike just from switching cities, and excited fans that miss having a team.

I don't blame fans in Milwaukee though. It's hard to support a team that has been so terrible for so long I'm sure, and that's sure as hell not the fans fault. Also I'm sure there are a small amount of hardcore fans that still love the Bucks, but even they have to admit the fan base is getting sad. I just don't see any reason for them to stay. We'll see though.

MrfadeawayJB
07-08-2015, 06:47 PM
They should and then move to the grizz to the east so they can win 70 games

DeadWrestler
07-08-2015, 08:22 PM
They should and then move to the grizz to the east so they can win 70 games

To go up 2-1 in the playoffs and blow it :).

blahblahyoutoo
07-08-2015, 08:36 PM

People who live in vegas arent to intrigued with the strip. That gets old fast. Vegas isnt any worse than LA or NY. There should be a pro team there

yup, vegas is just like NYC. just about 18 million fewer people and a city with zero storied pro-sports fanchises. but other than that, EXACTLY like NYC.

championships
07-08-2015, 11:01 PM

the people who live here

over 1,200,000

are dying for sports

As of 2015 The Las Vegas metropolitan area has a population of 1.96 million. That's from Boulder city, Henderson, Summerlin, North Las Vegas, and Las Vegas.

I'm a local and I'm currently working on that hockey stadium. For the NHL to consider Vegas, we (locals) had to have 10,000 season ticket holders put down a deposit. Vegas reached that number fairly quickly.

NBA could work here. Vegas loves their basketball. The summer leagues held here is always packed and so are the Lakers and Clippers pre season games.

hotdalton18
07-09-2015, 12:50 AM
Yah , stupid comment

This is not a good argument. 600,000 people is pretty puny.

If LV were granted a team, it would immediately be one of the least populated metro areas in the NBA. I think SLC is the least populated, followed by OKC. I could be wrong though. The point is, the metro area and market in whole is very small compared to the rest of the cities in the league. It would essentially be a small market team with a fan base made up of a lot of transplants and transients. Doesn't sound like a good combination IMO.

Over 600,000 locals

Then over 600,000 people 10 minutes away which most people count as vegas to

That's over 1,200,000

Plus the tourist

The stadium would be packed always

hotdalton18
07-09-2015, 12:52 AM

the people who live here

over 1,200,000

are dying for sports

As of 2015 The Las Vegas metropolitan area has a population of 1.96 million. That's from Boulder city, Henderson, Summerlin, North Las Vegas, and Las Vegas.

I'm a local and I'm currently working on that hockey stadium. For the NHL to consider Vegas, we (locals) had to have 10,000 season ticket holders put down a deposit. Vegas reached that number fairly quickly.

NBA could work here. Vegas loves their basketball. The summer leagues held here is always packed and so are the Lakers and Clippers pre season games.

Exactly

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-15-2015, 08:25 AM
https://twitter.com/BenHandelman/status/621125339465547776

https://twitter.com/MKEBucksFans/status/621133812353880064

Bucks staying in Milwaukee! :cheers:

Thumper 88
07-15-2015, 09:30 AM

I can agree with almost all of this but the UFC part.

The UFC loves Vegas as the Fertitia Brothers own a casino on the strip, the UFC HC & medical center are in Vegas.

As for corruption, that's everywhere man. Fights can sometimes seen fixed because one fighter should have no business losing to his opponent but like in football (any given Sunday) it's any given fight or one punch.

Its everywhere from sports to the government.

Ok so players dont party all the time in NY , MIA?
This

thats because each state has a different fighting commission

NBA refs are the same for the whole league....and can gamble online and fix games now if they want

so theres no point to that I would argue that Vegas has the best commission especially after their new rules regarding steroid use.

I don't think the fighting commission is anymore corrupt than the government, refs, excetra..

Thumper 88
07-15-2015, 09:34 AM
Because the Mob is only in Vegas? Lol

Thumper 88
07-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Seattle can pull from Vancouver, BC 5+ million just in that area. Alaska, Idaho & Montana. Pretty solid fan base right there. Plus in a 35 mile radius of Seattle you have about 6+ million people.

warfelg
07-15-2015, 10:13 AM
I think Seattle deserves to have a team. Not right to take it out on them that an area that just spent money on football, baseball, golf facilities decided to screw over a basketball team. The fans in that area deserve their basketball team. Seattle should get a team long before Vegas.

valade16
07-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Seattle can pull from Vancouver, BC 5+ million just in that area. Alaska, Idaho & Montana. Pretty solid fan base right there. Plus in a 35 mile radius of Seattle you have about 6+ million people.

C'mon man, as someone whose location is Bellingham, WA you know damn good and well people aren't making regular trips from Alaska, Idaho and Montana to watch games lol. Maybe the occasional person, but not with any regularity.

IBleedPurple
07-15-2015, 10:29 AM
Same with an NHL team, going to a road game in Vegas would be pretty nice.

Thumper 88
07-15-2015, 10:30 AM
C'mon man, as someone whose location is Bellingham, WA you know damn good and well people aren't making regular trips from Alaska, Idaho and Montana to watch games lol. Maybe the occasional person, but not with any regularity.
I'm sorry, you're correct. Ishould have said watch the team. My bad.

JEDean89
07-15-2015, 11:22 AM
I dream of the day when the NBA is competitive enough to 36 teams. with how many countries are producing talent it could happen, especially if Africa and South America continue to popularize it. We could add Vegas, Seattle, Vancouver, Kentucky, and maybe one in Ontario or Mexico City if things go the right way. This is over the course of a long period of team though, like the next 40 years or so. Expansion should start with Seattle and either Vegas or Vancouver getting a team, then moving either the Grizz or the Pelicans to the East.

JasonJohnHorn
07-16-2015, 12:44 PM
I think having the Bucks in Milwaukee would be even better!

And if the NBA lets a team set up shop in Vegas, they better damn well let Ontario put the NBA back on Proline. When we got the Raptors, one of the conditions was that sports betting on the NBA wouldn't be allowed on our provincial lottery. That was fubar'd!

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Bucks staying in Milwaukee. Then Silver said to Seattle no expansion teams any time soon.