PDA

View Full Version : David Lee Traded to Celtics for Gerald Wallace

BKLYNpigeon
07-07-2015, 02:50 PM
ehh... i guess its just for salary cap relief.

Sactown
07-07-2015, 02:51 PM
ESPN sources say that the Celtics have agreed to send Gerald Wallace to the Warriors for David Lee

According to Mike Prada Warriors can use stretch on Wallace but not Lee

Stretch can only be used on players signed under current CBA while Lee's contract was signed before hand

lincecum=future
07-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Don't like the fit for the warriors. Is he just on the hook for 10 mil for this year?

BKLYNpigeon
07-07-2015, 02:57 PM
yea. 10mil for 1 year.

BKLYNpigeon
07-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Gerald Wallace is a pretty good fit. He can get to the rim and defend.

NYKnickFanatic
07-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Nice pick up for the Celtics. He will be a perfect fit in Boston.

Also gives the Warriors nice cap relief next year.

NYKnickFanatic
07-07-2015, 02:59 PM

Yup, he also brings that. But will he see much PT?

leprechaun5
07-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Wallace can be stretched which gives a huge cap relief for Dubs. I don't know what to think right now as a Celtics fan.

BKLYNpigeon
07-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Yup, he also brings that. But will he see much PT?

yeah probably on the second unit.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-07-2015, 03:02 PM

A few years ago he could lol he's prob just gunna sit on the bench n save the dubs some money

Monta is beast
07-07-2015, 03:03 PM
I see the Warriors using Wallace in that small lineup.

Curry
Thompson
Iggy
Wallace
Green

That way iggy/Barnes can't sub each other

greg_ory_2005
07-07-2015, 03:04 PM
What is the Celtics team looking like after this deal?

lincecum=future
07-07-2015, 03:04 PM
I highly doubt Wallace will get any PT with the dubs. I honestly haven't seen him play in a while. Can he still defend?

lincecum=future
07-07-2015, 03:05 PM
Reports are warriors plan to keep him so hopefully he can contribute.

BKLYNpigeon
07-07-2015, 03:08 PM
I thought the Warriors could have gotten more for Lee.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Warriors fans are getting way too hyped about Wallace....

DarkKnight
07-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Warriors fans are getting way too hyped about Wallace....

Lee is just as blah , maybe a bit better

ManningToTyree
07-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Are the celtics going to start Lee at center? Yikes

I don't really get this trade on either side

smith&wesson
07-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Zeller, Ollynyk, Sully, Johnson, and now Lee... I Wonder if one of those players becomes available ?? seems like a log jam in the front court.

Monta is beast
07-07-2015, 03:11 PM

Before the draft teams wanted #30 to take him. This move saves the warriors almost 30 million in luxury tax fines etc.

lincecum=future
07-07-2015, 03:12 PM
I think most know it's essentially a salary dump. Just sucks we lose that can still contribute to the team (and one of my favorite players) for a guy who will likely rot on the bench

Monta is beast
Warriors are gearing up to go for KD

smith&wesson

for the warriors its a salary dump. they are moving forward with Green and they saw Lee's contract as something they had to move I suppose.

don't really get it for Boston, but if all they had to give up was Wallace, then its a no brainer imo.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-07-2015, 03:13 PM

I was kinda thinking he might....

NYKnickFanatic
07-07-2015, 03:13 PM

Curry, Klay and KD.

That would be so dirty.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-07-2015, 03:18 PM

How? Both deals are expiring. This saves them 5m this season only.

R. Johnson#3
07-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Zeller, Ollynyk, Sully, Johnson, and now Lee... I Wonder if one of those players becomes available ?? seems like a log jam in the front court.

I wonder if they would do Ross, Ridnour and Clippers 2017 1st for Sully.

BKLYNpigeon
07-07-2015, 03:20 PM

both contracts are off the books after this season.

Since the Warriors are severely over the cap. it also saves warriors about 15-20 mil in luxury tax

BKLYNpigeon
07-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Gerald Wallace will probably contribute more the David Lee this upcoming season anyway.

I could see the Warriors dumping Wallace for something else as well.

Monta is beast
07-07-2015, 03:22 PM

If they kept Lee it would have cost them close to 50 million with all the fines you get from being in the luxury tax. Only a little over 3 million will go against the warriors cap this year cause there most likely going to use the stretch provision. This move saves them nearly 30 mil. And a warriors beat writer who's on point with his stuff said the warriors would be willing to part with klay to get KD so it would be curry KD Green as the big 3

R. Johnson#3
07-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Curry, Klay and KD.

That would be so dirty.

I would watch all 82 of those games every year without question.

NYKnickFanatic
07-07-2015, 03:24 PM
I would watch all 82 of those games every year without question.

Lol for sure!

Hawkeye15
07-07-2015, 03:25 PM

eh, not really. When you are nicknamed, "Crash", you probably don't age well, which he hasn't.

They will stretch him most likely.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-07-2015, 03:25 PM
Zeller, Ollynyk, Sully, Johnson, and now Lee... I Wonder if one of those players becomes available ?? seems like a log jam in the front court. Maybe a center to Clippers for Crawford?

valade16
07-07-2015, 03:29 PM
A few years ago he could lol he's prob just gunna sit on the bench n save the dubs some money

Yeah, If anyone is expecting quality minutes out of Gerald Wallace at this point they are going to be sorely disappointed.

JLynn943
07-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Good trade for both teams imo. Celtics get someone who can actually bring something to the game, and the Warriors get cap relief.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Like I said fans thinking that Wallace is going to help the team on the court are too hyped about this.

Lee just helped you win a championship, made some big plays in the finals.

Wallace barely sniffs the floor of a rebuilding Celtics team for the past few years.

This was clearly a salary dump for the Warriors and Ainge getting a player he's fond of on an expiring deal seeing if he can raise his stock.

bleedprple&gold
07-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Before the draft teams wanted #30 to take him. This move saves the warriors almost 30 million in luxury tax fines etc.

I guess the Warriors were adamant about not giving up a pick for someone to take Lee. I assume the $30M saved is if they use the stretch provision on Wallace?

Monta is beast
07-07-2015, 03:37 PM

I guess the Warriors were adamant about not giving up a pick for someone to take Lee. I assume the $30M saved is if they use the stretch provision on Wallace?

Correct

TrueFan420
07-07-2015, 03:38 PM

Basically... They're high on looney and he doesn't need to contribute any time soon. They will stretch Wallace and look to save the luxury tax hit in upwords of 30 mil.

Not ideal as I was hoping we could get something back but I'll live with it as I would have been mad if we have up a pick just to dump a good productive player. Celtics got a good player. They need to pair him with a defensive center but he will help them win.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Wallace been a walking corpse bad contract since Nets traded for him years ago. Now he's just a expiring contract and waste of roster spot at this point.

TrueFan420
07-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Wallace been a walking corpse bad contract since Nets traded for him years ago. Now he's just a expiring contract and waste of roster spot at this point.

He won't be a waste of a roster spot as he wont be on our roster. He's getting the stretch cut used on him so we can save money.

kdspurman
07-07-2015, 03:47 PM
lol, please will not be pleased by this.

Monta is beast
07-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Na he'll be on the roster. But he has something in his contract that allows the warriors to pay him the remainder of his contract over a course of three years. So instead of paying him 10 mil there paying him 3.3. Saves the warriors around 30 million in total.

Tony_Starks
07-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Forget Boston as a team,a brand, and a ____ crew...David Lee,forget you too!

Monta is beast
07-07-2015, 04:01 PM
My bad I got that wrong if they use the stretch provision he has to be cut. There's another player the celtics are sending to the warriors no word yet. Probably pressey

Jamiecballer
07-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Holy **** Gerald Wallace is still playing? Where the heck did his career go, he was a bright young star but that feels like a decade ago. And holy crowded front-court in Boston.

celticsman2009
07-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Holy **** Gerald Wallace is still playing? Where the heck did his career go, he was a bright young star but that feels like a decade ago. And holy crowded front-court in Boston.

Their crowded backcourt felt lonely.

BoSox47
07-07-2015, 04:12 PM
Celtics are gonna have a top 5 bench in the league.

apocalypse15
07-07-2015, 04:18 PM
The Celtics are going to play their starting 5 in the first quarter then their best 5 guys off the bench in the second quarter. Then repeat with the 3rd and 4th quarter. The other two guys on the bench are for foul trouble. Seriously though not bad for Boston, Wallace barely ever played. Like never ever.

PASS_THE_ROCK
07-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Stretch him across the Golden Gate Bridge to the lakers. We need a small forward.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-07-2015, 04:29 PM
Pressey and/or Babb probably get thrown in to get the salary match closer?

cheetos185
07-07-2015, 04:38 PM
Nice pick up for the Celtics. He will be a perfect fit in Boston.

Also gives the Warriors nice cap relief next year.
Lee was expiring next year anyway lol

PAOboston
07-07-2015, 04:39 PM
I wonder what the next shoe to drop for Boston is? Trade some sort of combo of the guts they have at PF/Guard for a wing? It has to be right?

ewing
07-07-2015, 04:42 PM
forget boston as a team,a brand, and a ____ crew...david lee,forget you too!

what are you talking about?

BKLYNpigeon
07-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Warriors buying out Gerald Wallaces Contract and Waiving him.

Tony_Starks
07-07-2015, 05:09 PM
forget boston as a team,a brand, and a ____ crew...david lee,forget you too!

what are you talking about?

Lol, it's a reference from a famous 2pac song.

Saddletramp
07-07-2015, 06:12 PM
lol, please will not be pleased by this.

Was wondering why the trolling % went down exponentially and then saw that he's currently banned. Took long enough. What'd he do that finally had the mods ban him?

bleedprple&gold
07-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Warriors buying out Gerald Wallaces Contract and Waiving him.

I read they are keeping him.

bleedprple&gold
07-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Stretch him across the Golden Gate Bridge to the lakers. We need a small forward.

Wallace is not the answer.

KnicksorBust
07-07-2015, 06:18 PM

And they signed Jerebko in FA and some Celts fans think he will get min. Log jam ain't no joke. I actually like the pickup but now the Amir signing is even worse. I will be watching this team a lot this year.

Nighthawk
07-07-2015, 06:24 PM
Sully, olynyk, smart 2 1sts, and 2 seconds

For cousins

Cousins/zeller
Lee/amir/jonas
Turner/Crowder
Bradley/hunter
Thomas/Rozier

colinskik
07-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Sully, olynyk, smart 2 1sts, and 2 seconds

For cousins

Cousins/zeller
Lee/amir/jonas
Turner/Crowder
Bradley/hunter
Thomas/Rozier

lol ok

bleedprple&gold
07-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Smart of the Warriors not to give up a pick to dump leave, although it would have allowed them to save more money. Quality organizations like the Spurs and Warriors don't give away picks, whereas the Knicks and Lakers give them away like candy.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2015, 08:27 PM
I wish Gerald Wallace the best in GS. He was a true professional during his 2 years in BOS. He understood the situation - that he was an overpaid scrub at this point of his career just hanging around until his contract expired. But rather than just show up to collect a check he was as good a mentor as you can be and really embraced that role on the rebuilding Celtics. Whenever the team played poorly he called them out like they deserved and wouldn't let them buy into any of the tanking talk that the fans/media were saying. And when they did call on him he gave 110% every time. Smart, Sullinger, Olynyk, etc. are all better players because of him as a teammate and even if he can't contribute on the court, I have no doubt that he will embrace whatever role GS has for him (benchwarmer) and have the same effect on Curry, Klay, Barnes, Green.

From BOS's end, they obviously win this trade by a landslide talent wise but the roster is a total kluster****. I can't imagine this is the only trade they make before the season starts so I'll stay tuned and wait to see how it all shakes out before I start trying to make sense of things.

kdspurman
07-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Was wondering why the trolling % went down exponentially and then saw that he's currently banned. Took long enough. What'd he do that finally had the mods ban him?

Ha, I didn't even realize. My guess would be something trolling related, especially since GS won it all, but I don't know for sure w/o checking

tredigs
07-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Wish the Warriors pulled in a quality player, but at least they did not give up a pick and they got a quality locker room presence. D. Lee was a stud for the way he accepted his role this last year. Nothing but respect and thanks for the guy.

ohreally
07-07-2015, 11:26 PM

But they wanted to do right by him.

Sly Guy
07-08-2015, 12:16 AM
why are the c's collecting 4's like this? I'm really confused at their roster moves so far this offseason.

TrueFan420
07-08-2015, 12:40 AM
But they wanted to do right by him.

Which they ultimately did just wish they had tried harder to get more. Well to be fair I'm sure they tried just wish it paid off.

JasonJohnHorn
07-08-2015, 09:19 AM
I'm surprised they had to take anything back. I imagine the Lakers and Knicks would have been happy to take Lee. Or the Suns.

hugepatsfan
07-08-2015, 09:40 AM
I'm surprised they had to take anything back. I imagine the Lakers and Knicks would have been happy to take Lee. Or the Suns.

As I understand it, they wanted to do right by him and save as much money as they could in the process. No way he wanted to go to the Lakers and BOS is in better position for Lee to compete than PHX because of conference (and not sure they even wanted him).

hugepatsfan
07-08-2015, 09:46 AM
And they signed Jerebko in FA and some Celts fans think he will get min. Log jam ain't no joke. I actually like the pickup but now the Amir signing is even worse. I will be watching this team a lot this year.

Nah Jerebko won't be in the regular rotation now. Remember the front court breakdown I did before… just give his minutes to Lee. That would put him in between the reduced role of last year and the star player minutes he got before that - which is the range he should be. Amir is for sure in the rotation not only because of salary, but the fact that he's the only big on the ten that plays a lick of defense. Stevens likes to play 4 bigs so Sullinger/Zeller/Olynyk compete for the other 2 spots. One will miss out but that's fine. Sully/Zeller are RFA this year ($3+ mil qualifying offers) and Olynyk has a $3 mil team option. No way all 3 were staying anyway. AT LEAST one of them was gone after the year. Now they have to make that decision a year early so they have one less year of play to look at which hurts. But on the plus they get the luxury of the chance to see how their choice works out and switch it up if it appears they picked incorrectly.

Scoots
07-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Amick said Warriors may be looking to move Wallace contract on to get a player they can use.

Lee can get his mid-range shot back as a starter and play next to Kelly.

The Celtics have all the pieces of a great team except the great player to bring it together ... and it's killing Ainge :)

KnicksorBust
07-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Nah Jerebko won't be in the regular rotation now. Remember the front court breakdown I did before… just give his minutes to Lee.

Makes sense. But now signing Jerebko was basically setting fire to $5 million dollars. Hard to sell me on the validity of that move.

That would put him in between the reduced role of last year and the star player minutes he got before that - which is the range he should be. Amir is for sure in the rotation not only because of salary, but the fact that he's the only big on the ten that plays a lick of defense.

About $25 million committed to players that could be gone next year. That doesn't bother you?

Stevens likes to play 4 bigs so Sullinger/Zeller/Olynyk compete for the other 2 spots. One will miss out but that's fine.

I would be shocked to see Zeller or Sullinger out of the rotation. Still surprised to see Olynyk already getting brushed aside.

Sully/Zeller are RFA this year ($3+ mil qualifying offers) and Olynyk has a $3 mil team option. No way all 3 were staying anyway. AT LEAST one of them was gone after the year. Now they have to make that decision a year early so they have one less year of play to look at which hurts.

Agreed.

But on the plus they get the luxury of the chance to see how their choice works out and switch it up if it appears they picked incorrectly.

That's why I would have liked to have used the regular season to see who was worth keeping long-term rather than training camp.

hugepatsfan
07-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Makes sense. But now signing Jerebko was basically setting fire to $5 million dollars. Hard to sell me on the validity of that move.

About $25 million committed to players that could be gone next year. That doesn't bother you?

No because none of the players that were worth investing in long-term were interested in coming to BOS. We don't need anymore role players. We need stars (notice the plural). Because we went for 1 year guys now we'll have the flexibility to potentially add 2 max contracts next offseason. If we didn't want to **** that up by spending long-term money on more mid to lower tier players, the alternative to spending it on 1 year deals was that the owner pockets the money.

The only move that doesn't make sense to me now is the Jerebko deal. It did before the Lee trade though so maybe they weren't sure GS wouldn't get a better offer and wanted to have Jerebko just in case so they could have 5 bigs for 4 spots so there's competition.

I would be shocked to see Zeller or Sullinger out of the rotation. Still surprised to see Olynyk already getting brushed aside.

I agree to start. But Sully will be out of the rotation one way or another. If he plays poorly, it will be performance based. If he plays well, they'll trade him. I think they have approximately ZERO interest in extending him because they don't trust his health or dedication to staying in shape. He's an RFA and with the cap going up 20 teams are going to have max salary slots. One of them that misses out on their top guys will drastically overpay him as a consolation prize because that's how NBA free agency goes. Ainge knows that and will try to move him for value mid-season IMO which will open up a spot for someone else (as of right now I project that to be Olynyk).

ZHawk1123
07-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Gerald Wallace will probably contribute more the David Lee this upcoming season anyway.

I could see the Warriors dumping Wallace for something else as well.

Do you not realize that a healthy Wallace barely played at all for the lowly C's? Unless Lee gets hurt, there is zero chance Wallace contributes more than him. Wallace has nothing left in the tank after years of going balls to the wall.