PDA

View Full Version : Mo Williams Returns to Cleveland

Cal827
07-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Free-agent guard Mo Williams has reached agreement on a two-year, $4.3 million contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers, sources said.
The contract includes a player option for the second season, sources said.

The agreement reunites Williams with Cavaliers superstar LeBron James. Williams played two-plus seasons in Cleveland from 2008-11 and was an All-Star for the Cavaliers in 2009.

Williams, 32, was traded from the Minnesota Timberwolves to the Charlotte Hornets midway through last season. He played well in 27 games for the Hornets, averaging 17. 2 points just off his career high and six assists.

Williams' agreement does not impact the Cavaliers' desire to still re-sign their own two free-agent guards, J.R. Smith and Matthew Dellavedova, sources said.

Via http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--mo-williams-agrees-to-sign-with-cavaliers-015259638.html

Good move by Cleveland. Gives a good offensive punch to back up Irving, but where do they keep getting money :laugh2:

bucketss
07-06-2015, 10:13 PM
what happens to delly now lol

AllBall
07-06-2015, 10:17 PM
Goodbye JR Smith?

MrfadeawayJB
07-06-2015, 10:20 PM
That's a really reasonable deal. I know the grizz pursued him.

Teeboy1487
07-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Very good signing and a bargain as well.

Tony_Starks
07-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Good sign by Cleveland. I guess Lebron doesn't buy his apologist fairy tale that Mo Williams was/is "garbage." Apparently he still thinks he's a good player......

LAKERS4LIFE!!
07-06-2015, 10:30 PM
No one in the East has a chance against the Cavs

IBleedPurple
07-06-2015, 10:32 PM
*Rumor* The Eastern Conference All-Star team will also sign with the Cavs at the conclusion of the game.

This is a good deal for the Cavs, another bad one for everyone else.

More-Than-Most
07-06-2015, 10:33 PM
Good sign by Cleveland. I guess Lebron doesn't buy his apologist fairy tale that Mo Williams was/is "garbage." Apparently he still thinks he's a good player......

He is a good back up player at 4 mill and a solid deal.

numba1CHANGsta
07-06-2015, 10:37 PM
Breaking News: Cavs acquire Crawford, Derozan & JJ in a 4 team trade, only give up 2nd round draft picks

Breaking News: Cavs sign Ray Allen

Breaking News: Big Z comes out of retirement to join the Cavs

Cavs luxury tax now at $250 million

Breaking News: Cavs fire David Blatt, LeBron becomes interim Head Coach

Breaking News: LeBron buys the Cavs from Dan Gilbert

Breaking News: LeBron to change the team's name to The Cleveland LeBrons

Breaking News: Adam Silver changes the NBA logo, will now feature LeBron instead of West

Breaking News: LeBron's hairline, 30, has passed away 1984-2015.

bucketss
07-06-2015, 10:44 PM

please, no one said hes garbage, just not a second option. he will now presume his right role in cleveland which is a bench player.

IBleedPurple
07-06-2015, 10:45 PM
Breaking News: LeBron's hairline, 30, has passed away 1984-2015.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That is the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

kingkenny01
07-06-2015, 11:00 PM
All the cavs need is boobie Gibson, big z and some Larry Hughes

Chronz
07-06-2015, 11:03 PM
Shots fired. Call them out by name bro. Really interested in who you're referring to and what exactly was said. Then again, this could just be more straws from the anti bron crew.

IKnowHoops
07-06-2015, 11:05 PM

4.3 for 2 years is about as garbage a contract that exists. Go look at Moe's playoff numbers that last year with Lebron in cleveland. He was shooting below 18% in most of those games when they got eliminated. Thats garbage. If you dont think so, then I dont know what you look for in a player.

RLundi
07-06-2015, 11:19 PM
Cleveland looks like it will be STACKED. They need to let Delly go though, he is absolutely terrible.

Tony_Starks
07-06-2015, 11:22 PM
Shots fired. Call them out by name bro. Really interested in who you're referring to and what exactly was said. Then again, this could just be more straws from the anti bron crew.

A) not anti Lebron

B) see iknowhoops for reference

WITZ
07-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Welcome back Mogotti pushes Delly if he returns where he belongs as a 3rd guard on a team.

More-Than-Most
07-06-2015, 11:36 PM
Breaking News: Cavs acquire Crawford, Derozan & JJ in a 4 team trade, only give up 2nd round draft picks

Breaking News: Adam Silver changes the NBA logo, will now feature LeBron instead of West

top 5 player of all time and probably top 2 when its all said and done... pretty much deserves most of this :shrug:

Tony_Starks
07-06-2015, 11:39 PM
Welcome back Mogotti pushes Delly if he returns where he belongs as a 3rd guard on a team.

I think Delly will still have a significant role as stopper/ irritant. As he should. But at least now you have Mo to run that second unit on offense, that's major.

Mo and Kyrie? Buckets all night long!

Jayb587
07-06-2015, 11:59 PM
will the cavs have the largest payroll in history? serious question.

all that money just to lose to the spurs in the finals.

Chi StateOfMind
07-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Fire David Blatt and hire Thibs and win for years. Nobody in the East will touch the Cavs

TheNumber37
07-07-2015, 12:09 AM
will the cavs have the largest payroll in history? serious question.

all that money just to lose to the spurs in the finals.

LOL. That's it, right there

Jayb587
07-07-2015, 12:16 AM
[/B]

LOL. That's it, right there

haha first question was serious tho

Silent
07-07-2015, 12:35 AM
Now all they need to do is sign Lebron's father and they will be set Delonte James

IKnowHoops
07-07-2015, 01:12 AM

He will try to hide it with his passive aggressive nature, but the passive aggressive takes more thought than being straight hateful which means he puts more effort into his hating of Lebron than anyone on this site. Any fool could see how garbage Mo was. This is nothing more than pointless rambling trying to take a shot at Bron by this guy. Its beyond pathetic because any player shooting under 18% and taking 12-18 shots a game is playing like garbage.

LakerShow
07-07-2015, 01:15 AM

Lmao

Cracka2HI!
07-07-2015, 02:13 AM
How is Cleveland still signing people? I know he didn't make much but damn. Where did this $2 mil in "space" to sign Mo come from?

GoferKing_
07-07-2015, 05:11 AM
They still have money to give TT and LBJ the max?

JLeBeau76
07-07-2015, 05:23 AM
He will try to hide it with his passive aggressive nature, but the passive aggressive takes more thought than being straight hateful which means he puts more effort into his hating of Lebron than anyone on this site. Any fool could see how garbage Mo was. This is nothing more than pointless rambling trying to take a shot at Bron by this guy. Its beyond pathetic because any player shooting under 18% and taking 12-18 shots a game is playing like garbage.

Mo as your number 2 option = garbage. Mo off the bench, or in case of Irving injury, as your third or fourth option = bargain.

This is a huge get for the Cavs and even if we just resign TT, Delly and JR (and James, of course), then turn Haywood into a trade exception, this will be a very successful offseason.

FraziersKnicks
07-07-2015, 05:29 AM
They still have money to give TT and LBJ the max?

They've got their bird rights so yeah, can still go WAY over the cap to sign them.

It looks like Dan Gilbert is learning from his mistakes. In Bron's first go around in Cleveland, DG seemed scared to make the big trade or signing to get LeBron that true sidekick. He's going all out this time.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-07-2015, 06:00 AM

top 5 player of all time and probably top 2 when its all said and done... pretty much deserves most of this :shrug:

He's talking about laybron not Kobe

3ballbomber
07-07-2015, 06:55 AM
Mo-Will was one of Lebrons biggest fan boys.....when Lebron betrayed them all and left w/out saying a word in 2010 this dude was like a scorned lover. Mo was stunned and depressed....ya'll remember those reports. if not here's one of them lol:

Mo Williams nearly retired because LeBron James left Cleveland

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Mo-Williams-nearly-retired-because-LeBron-James-?urn=nba-271284

How the ***** you gone be treated like that by somebody whom you thought was a good team mate and friend and then want to come back and play w/ that same person. Some people just sell themselves out and don't realize the lack of any integrity they show.

Mo Williams you are a shameful sell out. but at least you get to reunite w/ your BF now.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1445337_o.gif

Munkeysuit
07-07-2015, 07:23 AM
A perfect fit for this particular Cavs team...now they just need an wing defen*ahem*Tayshaun Prince...

Ty22Mitchell
07-07-2015, 09:25 AM
I assume JR isn't coming back.

Can someone post a Cavs 2015 depth chart? Thanks in advance.

IKnowHoops
07-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Mo as your number 2 option = garbage. Mo off the bench, or in case of Irving injury, as your third or fourth option = bargain.

This is a huge get for the Cavs and even if we just resign TT, Delly and JR (and James, of course), then turn Haywood into a trade exception, this will be a very successful offseason.

Agreed, especially at that low number. Thats about what he is worth.

MinnesotaFtw
07-07-2015, 12:40 PM
PG: Kyrie Irving, Mo Williams
SG: Iman Shumpert, Mike Miller, Joe Harris
SF:
PF: Kevin Love, Rakeem Christmas
C: Timofey Mozgov, Anderson Varejao, Bredan Haywood

Likely to add obviously LeBron at SF, Tristan Thompson at PF, Delly at Pg, maybe JR Smith at SG and then trade Haywood. Possibly add James Jones again as well.

Tony_Starks
07-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Cavs are going to be fun to watch next year. Once they flip Haywood for one more bench scorer they are going to Globetrotting on people!

Vee-Rex
07-07-2015, 02:21 PM
How is Cleveland still signing people? I know he didn't make much but damn. Where did this $2 mil in "space" to sign Mo come from?

NBA wants us to win so they donated some money to the team.

Avenged
07-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Bring back Delonte

NYKnickFanatic
07-07-2015, 02:45 PM
What happens to Delly and JR?

DeadWrestler
07-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Mo-Will was one of Lebrons biggest fan boys.....when Lebron betrayed them all and left w/out saying a word in 2010 this dude was like a scorned lover. Mo was stunned and depressed....ya'll remember those reports. if not here's one of them lol:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Mo-Williams-nearly-retired-because-LeBron-James-?urn=nba-271284

How the ***** you gone be treated like that by somebody whom you thought was a good team mate and friend and then want to come back and play w/ that same person. Some people just sell themselves out and don't realize the lack of any integrity they show.

Mo Williams you are a shameful sell out. but at least you get to reunite w/ your BF now.

Why does any of this matter to you.

bucketss
07-07-2015, 03:30 PM

funny how you assume you know everything about their lives just from some articles and gifs, perhaps they talked about everything? or maybe none of that stuff was ever that serious.

Vee-Rex
07-07-2015, 03:31 PM
What happens to Delly and JR?

Word I'm getting is we're trying to get TT locked up then we'll move on to Delly and JR

NYKnickFanatic
07-07-2015, 03:35 PM
Word I'm getting is we're trying to get TT locked up then we'll move on to Delly and JR

Do they have JR's Bird Rights?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Mark Price anyone?

Hawkeye15
07-07-2015, 04:15 PM

he was garbage for a 2nd option, but still a good NBA player in his prime.

At this point, he is a nice change of pace backup is all. He can shoot the rock at times. That is why he was signed.

Hawkeye15
07-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Mark Price anyone?

that is a slap to Mr. Price. Take it back lol

Hawkeye15
07-07-2015, 04:16 PM

hahahahaha

ManRam
07-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Not in love with it. He's not getting paid a ton (tho it will cost Gilbert a lot more than it otherwise would) but they're continuing to ignore defense. Yes, scoring/shooting was a HUGE issue in the Finals and Mo would have helped a ton with Kyrie out...but fully healthy and scoring isn't at all their issue. Mo hasn't been terribly efficient lately. Yes, he dropped 50. And yes, he filled in nicely when Kemba went out. But I just don't think he fills a huge need...unless he somehow turns back into a near-40% three point shooter. Which I guess can happen on a lower usage. But still.

He's a turnstile on D and the Cavs need fewer of those, not more.

As awful as Delly is, I'm not convinced this is an upgrade. For any offensive gains they get out of him, they lose it all due to his defense.

Better hope he can get that 3 point percentage up a ton.

DeadWrestler
07-07-2015, 04:25 PM
Not in love with it. He's not getting paid a ton (tho it will cost Gilbert a lot more than it otherwise would) but they're continuing to ignore defense. Yes, scoring/shooting was a HUGE issue in the Finals and Mo would have helped a ton with Kyrie out...but fully healthy and scoring isn't at all their issue. Mo hasn't been terribly efficient lately. Yes, he dropped 50. And yes, he filled in nicely when Kemba went out. But I just don't think he fills a huge need...unless he somehow turns back into a near-40% three point shooter. Which I guess can happen on a lower usage. But still.

He's a turnstile on D and the Cavs need fewer of those, not more.

As awful as Delly is, I'm not convinced this is an upgrade. For any offensive gains they get out of him, they lose it all due to his defense.

Better hope he can get that 3 point percentage up a ton.

I don't know how many minutes Mo will actually get. As far as I'm concerned he needs to earn his spot even in the regular season rotation.

However his most efficient years were his years with Lebron so maybe there's still something there.

I really don't see this team getting any better besides just gaining more cohesiveness defensively. They have Moz/Lebron/Shump/TT all playing big minutes. All those players are good defensively. Even Delly can give you some high energy defense, and Kyrie is getting a lot better.

ManRam
07-07-2015, 04:40 PM
I don't know how many minutes Mo will actually get. As far as I'm concerned he needs to earn his spot even in the regular season rotation.

However his most efficient years were his years with Lebron so maybe there's still something there.

I really don't see this team getting any better besides just gaining more cohesiveness defensively. They have Moz/Lebron/Shump/TT all playing big minutes. All those players are good defensively. Even Delly can give you some high energy defense, and Kyrie is getting a lot better.

We'll see what they do with Delly, but I too think it's just as likely that he gets VERY few minutes than anything else. This doesn't shift the needle.

Those 4 guys are all good defenders, but I don't think any are truly great any more.

Hawkeye15
07-07-2015, 05:22 PM
We'll see what they do with Delly, but I too think it's just as likely that he gets VERY few minutes than anything else. This doesn't shift the needle.

Those 4 guys are all good defenders, but I don't think any are truly great any more.

at this point, Mo should be used as instant offense. If his shot is off, park him at the end of the bench and tell him, "maybe next game Mo"

DeadWrestler
07-07-2015, 07:38 PM

Tristan Thompson is knocking on the door of elite defenders in my opinion. He's so versatile.

I honestly think once this team develops cohesiveness, and just plays together more they will be elite defensively. I could definitely wrong, but I think we have to realize this team really only had half a season together.

ManRam
07-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Tristan Thompson is knocking on the door of elite defenders in my opinion. He's so versatile.

I honestly think once this team develops cohesiveness, and just plays together more they will be elite defensively. I could definitely wrong, but I think we have to realize this team really only had half a season together.

I don't think they can be an elite defensive team with Love and Kyrie out there. I think they can be good, maybe pretty good, but not elite. 18th in defensive efficiency last year...at the very least they have a ways to go.
They made big strides in the playoffs, but the majority came without those two defensive culprits. Kyrie may have improved, but he's still a net-negative.

And if Tristan Thompson is knocking on the door of elite defenders, he's doing it from far away. He was not a good defender last season. That's undeniable. No metric in the world would suggest otherwise. Maybe your eye-test does, but mine didn't. I think he can become a very good individual defender, but I don't think he has the lateral quickness or ups to ever be much of a rim-protector.

I'd love to be wrong...but scoring points isn't going to be their problem next year, much like it wasn't last year (before Love and Kyrie went down, obviously). If they trip up (assuming health), it will be because of defense. That's why signing guys like Mo does little for me.

ewing
07-07-2015, 08:31 PM
at this point, Mo should be used as instant offense. If his shot is off, park him at the end of the bench and tell him, "maybe next game Mo"

i think that is the idea for the most part.

DeadWrestler
07-08-2015, 11:12 AM
I don't think they can be an elite defensive team with Love and Kyrie out there. I think they can be good, maybe pretty good, but not elite. 18th in defensive efficiency last year...at the very least they have a ways to go.
They made big strides in the playoffs, but the majority came without those two defensive culprits. Kyrie may have improved, but he's still a net-negative.

And if Tristan Thompson is knocking on the door of elite defenders, he's doing it from far away. He was not a good defender last season. That's undeniable. No metric in the world would suggest otherwise. Maybe your eye-test does, but mine didn't. I think he can become a very good individual defender, but I don't think he has the lateral quickness or ups to ever be much of a rim-protector.

I'd love to be wrong...but scoring points isn't going to be their problem next year, much like it wasn't last year (before Love and Kyrie went down, obviously). If they trip up (assuming health), it will be because of defense. That's why signing guys like Mo does little for me.

Didn't they have like the 2nd ranked defense in the 2nd half or something though?

We'll have to agree to disagree on TT. I'm not the biggest fan of defensive metrics, but I'd be more than willing to listen to what you have to say on why the metrics point to him not being a good defender.

I agree that the Cavs will always be offensive minded with that lineup, but I think Kyrie will improve tremendously defensively. The longer he plays with Lebron the better he'll get.

Hawkeye15
07-08-2015, 11:40 AM
i think that is the idea for the most part.

we did that with Anthony Peeler back in the day. He would either play 28 minutes, or like 3.