PDA

View Full Version : West to SA

Stunner
07-06-2015, 04:26 PM
https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/618153571377393664

phlp_bj
David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 16s17 seconds ago
Free agent forward David West has agreed to terms with the Spurs, per league sources.

MackShock
Wow. West AND Aldridge. Intriguing...

Scoots
07-06-2015, 04:27 PM
I guess that's predictable.

Big Zo
07-06-2015, 04:29 PM
If healthy, San Antonio should win it all next season.

Scoots
07-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Duplicate thread

Jarvo
07-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Parker
Green
Kawhi
LMA
Duncan

Bench - West, Manu, Patty, Diaw

SQUUAAAAAAADDDD! Go Spurs Go!

AlexTmz2
07-06-2015, 04:38 PM
If healthy, San Antonio should win it all next season.

Yes, health will be our #1 priority this upcoming season. So happy we got him! Ive been a big fan of his game! These 2 weeks have been great for the Spurs fans. I cant wait for the season to start.

Scoots
07-06-2015, 04:39 PM
"If healthy" is a mantra for the Warriors and the Spurs and the Cavs ... the top 3 teams in vegas odds to win it all.

Tony_Starks
07-06-2015, 04:39 PM
Cold business! The rich get richer. It's going to be Spurs, GoldenState.................then everybody else in the West.

BKLYNpigeon
07-06-2015, 04:41 PM
great fit and signing

Avenged
07-06-2015, 04:41 PM
What's the point hand em the ship already

Vee-Rex
07-06-2015, 04:44 PM
Guess the Cavs were taking too long.

Scoots
It will be interesting to see how the Spurs play the Griz next year.

leprechaun5
Woow, huge respect for him though. Lost 11M in this process.

GoferKing_
07-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Sacramento will get J.Smith and every team will fear to play them, because they might snap any minute on them. KINGS will win all next year.xD

Bron > Kobe
07-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Welp

LakersIn5
07-06-2015, 04:47 PM
"If healthy" okc is facing sas/gsw in the wcf

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Guess the Cavs were taking too long.

West hates Lebron. He was never going to Cleveland.

WITZ
07-06-2015, 05:01 PM
How much help do the spurs need ... End sarcasm :laugh2:

Jarvo
07-06-2015, 05:02 PM
Don't get it twisted people, Yeah The Spurs are loaded but we're still in The West you have an healthy OKC team coming back along with The Champion Warriors and Grizzlies, Clippers and others. But damn I like this team of ours we have! Good job RC & Pop.

AlexTmz2
07-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Don't get it twisted people, Yeah The Spurs are loaded but we're still in The West you have an healthy OKC team coming back along with The Champion Warriors and Grizzlies, Clippers and others. But damn I like this team of ours we have! Good job RC & Pop.

I still think we need a solid wing to fill out the roster. like i said, perhaps Delfino and Rasual Butler could be an option? It'll be very interesting how pop will set his lineups. These have been huge changes. Cant wait.

Bruno
07-06-2015, 05:13 PM
what a pile on.

NYKnickFanatic
07-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Who is going to opt out of 12M to sign for 1.4M? Tell me.

Gotta respect West. Definitely is all about winning.

AlexTmz2
07-06-2015, 05:20 PM
With West and Ginobili on board, the Spursí roster count is up to 10 players. San Antonio likely needs three more big men to fill in depth on the frontline, a wing player for the departure of Marco Belinelli, and a point guard for the departure of Cory Joseph.

http://projectspurs.com/2015-articles/report-david-west-to-sign-with-spurs.html

FYL_McVeezy
07-06-2015, 05:24 PM
SA, OKC, GS are the cream of the crop in the Wild Wild West.....

FYL_McVeezy
07-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Alan Anderson would be a good pickup for SA to replace Belinelli

THE MTL
07-06-2015, 05:33 PM
Wow, sacrificed 11mil for the chance at a championship. Ppl talk about winning and taking less money which in turn is a slight discount of maybe 2-3 million. He gave up 11mil in the last big payday of his career!

Gander13SM
07-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Who is going to opt out of 12M to sign for 1.4M? Tell me.

Gotta respect West. Definitely is all about winning.

If LeBron signed for 1 mil to play with OKC because he was "all about winning" would you also praise him?

If so then great. But I have an issue with people who have these double standards. Just a few days ago we had a thread discussing Aldridges "betrayal" to Portland and how it compares to LeBron. It's madness.

numba1CHANGsta
07-06-2015, 06:31 PM
LeBron vs Spurs seems to be an annual event

R. Johnson#3
07-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Great signing. I wanted the Raps to get him but once I heard that he wanted to go to a contender I knew there was no chance. He seems like he'll be a great fit in SA. A guy who doesn't have much of an ego and clearly wants to win.

TheNumber37
07-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Spurs SHOULD win the title next year. They do need another guard though having lost Marco.

mightybosstone
07-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Amazing offseason for the Spurs. On paper they're clearly one of the 3-4 best teams in the league and might be the best overall right now. And I've got to give props to West. How many players in the league would turn down $12 million to take a veteran minimum deal this late in his career? That dude clearly wants a championship.

I'll admit I'm a little bummed, though. That's the second straight PF the Spurs signed I was hoping would end up a Houston Rocket. Hopefully they can retain Smith at this point.

Rivera
07-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Holy crap. What a bargain. Easily the best deal this offseason. Credit to David west for putting winning ahead of $$. Spurs are taking it next year baring major injury. They are stacked!

tredigs
07-06-2015, 07:09 PM
If LeBron signed for 1 mil to play with OKC because he was "all about winning" would you also praise him?

If so then great. But I have an issue with people who have these double standards. Just a few days ago we had a thread discussing Aldridges "betrayal" to Portland and how it compares to LeBron. It's madness.

You don't understand why there's a perceived difference between a declining 34 yr old D West taking a bench role for the vet min (when he's afforded 11 mil more... which is essentially unprecedented) and a prime All NBA player + The Chosen One? Not exactly the same class of player or same point of their careers my friend.

And from what I understood, the reason why some people were upset at the way LMA handled the situation was because Portland could have executed a S&T if they knew he was leaving and gotten something in return. Personally, I don't think he owed them that. He just genuinely seemed unsure of what he was going to do until after meeting with all the teams.

@thread topic. Spurs are absolutely filthy. If the Warriors/Thunder/Spurs/Mavs, etc can somehow stay healthy entering the playoffs, it will be an amazing spectacle. Highly doubt that happens, but we can hope.

Do we expect SAS to get a backup C? Or will they just be running ~20+ minutes a night of small ball? That could be tough on an old roster.

thomass
07-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Yea great for the Spurs, but west is crazy for walking away from 11 million.

KnicksorBust
07-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Holy crap. What a bargain. Easily the best deal this offseason. Credit to David west for putting winning ahead of $$. Spurs are taking it next year baring major injury. They are stacked!

Yeah I agree. David West is a gutsy forward who plays with passion for the game. It has probably been his dream to win an NBA championship his whole life. What a great opportunity to go to a contender while he can still be a contributing role player. I think it is so interesting he went to SAS over Gstate/Cavs.

NYKnickFanatic
07-06-2015, 07:52 PM

If LBJ signed with OKC for 1M, you bet your *** I'd praise him.

Jarvo
07-06-2015, 07:53 PM
I still think we need a solid wing to fill out the roster. like i said, perhaps Delfino and Rasual Butler could be an option? It'll be very interesting how pop will set his lineups. These have been huge changes. Cant wait.

Need a true Center also and a shooter and we'll be good, But idk who else is out there as a free agent. Would be crazy if Mr. Ray Allen wants to join but wouldn't want him because of Patty. We need a PG & C and we will be alright.

Jarvo
07-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Double post.

I wonder how much Andre Miller will cost to get.

Scoots
07-06-2015, 08:24 PM
IIRC every roster spot earmarks $500k against the cap, but without the returning vets deals being known it's hard to predict how much they will have to get a player or 5

Sanjay
07-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Yeah I agree. David West is a gutsy forward who plays with passion for the game. It has probably been his dream to win an NBA championship his whole life. What a great opportunity to go to a contender while he can still be a contributing role player. I think it is so interesting he went to SAS over Gstate/Cavs.

I guess he thought the Spurs would be the best chance of him winning a title. Although West would most likely get more minutes at the Warriors or Cavaliers because they go small more often, San Antonio's slower pace is probably a better fit for him.

Lo Porto
07-06-2015, 08:35 PM
This signing is great for the regular season. Duncan and LMA get more rest.

Still don't see this being a great help come postseason. He's old, can't post as well, and has midrange game. SA has 2 shooters - Mills and Green. I'm not ready to hand them anything.

Sanjay
07-06-2015, 08:40 PM
If LBJ signed with OKC for 1M, you bet your *** I'd praise him.

To me money is irrelevant, the issue many people had with LeBron going to the Heat was he was going to play with two All-Stars to win a championship. In this hypothetical situation, he would be doing the exact same thing.

Sanjay
07-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Need a true Center also and a shooter and we'll be good, But idk who else is out there as a free agent. Would be crazy if Mr. Ray Allen wants to join but wouldn't want him because of Patty. We need a PG & C and we will be alright.

Don't the Spurs already have lots of shooters; Green, Mills, Ginobili e.t.c. ?

ricky recon
07-06-2015, 09:22 PM
This is a business first. It's basketball we're talking about.

I can't believe he took 11 million less. This isn't LeBron or Durant who has hundreds of millions in salary + endorsments. David West took 11 million less.

Wow.

More power to him, the Spurs look that much tougher, but wow.

IBleedPurple
07-06-2015, 10:26 PM
This is a business first. It's basketball we're talking about.

I can't believe he took 11 million less. This isn't LeBron or Durant who has hundreds of millions in salary + endorsments. David West took 11 million less.

Wow.

More power to him, the Spurs look that much tougher, but wow.Talk about taking 1 for A team, or 11. This did shock me. His choice, but 11 million is a lot of money to get a ring.

LA_Raiders
07-06-2015, 10:33 PM
Oldest team in NBA

Cracka2HI!
07-07-2015, 12:02 AM
One guy the Clippers had enough to sign. Ugh.

Jarvo
07-07-2015, 02:13 AM
Don't the Spurs already have lots of shooters; Green, Mills, Ginobili e.t.c. ?

Love Manu but don't know what you're gonna get outta him sometimes, Looked like he gave his last everything in The Finals in 2014' (Hope I'm wrong) but that's why at the end I said an PG and C. Would love to get Andre Miller on there.

Gander13SM
07-07-2015, 05:16 AM
You don't understand why there's a perceived difference between a declining 34 yr old D West taking a bench role for the vet min (when he's afforded 11 mil more... which is essentially unprecedented) and a prime All NBA player + The Chosen One? Not exactly the same class of player or same point of their careers my friend.

And from what I understood, the reason why some people were upset at the way LMA handled the situation was because Portland could have executed a S&T if they knew he was leaving and gotten something in return. Personally, I don't think he owed them that. He just genuinely seemed unsure of what he was going to do until after meeting with all the teams.

@thread topic. Spurs are absolutely filthy. If the Warriors/Thunder/Spurs/Mavs, etc can somehow stay healthy entering the playoffs, it will be an amazing spectacle. Highly doubt that happens, but we can hope.

Do we expect SAS to get a backup C? Or will they just be running ~20+ minutes a night of small ball? That could be tough on an old roster.

I disagree with all of that.

Players value money over winning. They're criticised.

Players value winning over money. They're criticised.

Fans are fickle and idiotic hypocrites.

Truth is. If he was joining the Cavs people would be on his case. Just like they were for Miller and Marion. Just like they were for Allen (at the time) reportedly holding off until the all star break to join a team.

Truth is people hate LeBron so much they would contradict themselves just to hate him a little more.

I'm not even a LeBron fan. I'm just tired of the hypocrisy. Kobe takes a massive contract to stay with his team and everyone is up in arms, Melo does the same and everyone laughs at him for chasing money. Then those same people whine when LeBron took a cut in money to team up with Wade and Bosh. People are pissed off at Aldridge for leaving Portland which lost 3/5 starters for a team in his home state where he gets to chase a ring and play with a childhood hero.

It's one or the other. You can't have it both ways.

C-ross12
07-07-2015, 07:40 AM
I wonder where the NBPA falls on this. Usually unions frown upon taking less money for any reason; especially going from 12 to 1.4.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Too bad he didn't take less to ring chase when the Celtics tried to add him to the Big 3 years ago.

kdspurman
07-07-2015, 08:25 AM

Yah, it'll be interesting to see what we do next for those needs. Really like the West signing. If he plays a long side Bobo, I think they could work well together. So weird seeing this much FA activity for us....

NYKnickFanatic
07-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Yah, it'll be interesting to see what we do next for those needs. Really like the West signing. If he plays a long side Bobo, I think they could work well together. So weird seeing this much FA activity for us....

Next up, Jesus Shuttlesworth.

jerellh528
07-07-2015, 11:26 AM
The grease ball, hypocrite, Dan Gilbert is going to be writing a letter to the commissioner about this soon I bet.

Longhornfan1234
07-07-2015, 11:33 AM
I wonder where the NBPA falls on this. Usually unions frown upon taking less money for any reason; especially going from 12 to 1.4.

NBA PA need to blast the whole Spurs team. Bunch of idiots. There's not a chance I'd enter a job market and take under my market value. I will never let big bosses go in dry without Vaseline and use me like a rented mule.

kdspurman
07-07-2015, 11:51 AM
NBA PA need to blast the whole Spurs team. Bunch of idiots. There's not a chance I'd enter a job market and take under my market value. I will never let big bosses go in dry without Vaseline and use me like a rented mule.

blast the whole team for wanting to win? blasphemous... lol.. Maybe these guys are smart with their $ and would be ok if they took less.

Re: West fwiw..

Gander13SM
07-08-2015, 03:37 AM

Yeah but whatever job market you're entering has no other goal than making money. It's not the same. When the ultimate goal is a championship. Money becomes secondary (for some)