PDA

View Full Version : Tristan Thompson contract talks hit a snag. LBJ wont talk to Cavs until it's done

lakerboy
07-05-2015, 04:13 AM
It's on ESPN. Apparently, they have the same agent.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/7/4/8894471/lebron-james-nba-free-agency-cleveland-cavaliers-tristan-thompson

goingfor28
07-05-2015, 04:21 AM
He's not going anywhere.

bucketss
07-05-2015, 04:22 AM
He's not going anywhere.

bleedprple&gold
07-05-2015, 04:24 AM
He's not going anywhere.

More-Than-Most
07-05-2015, 04:38 AM
He's not going anywhere.

Lebron james wants his people back after seeing what he had to go through in the finals last year and I do not blame him one bit. When you make a team 40 plus wins better with your skill set and get promised they will do everything in their power to put talent around you this is what you need to do.

jerellh528
07-05-2015, 04:56 AM
He's not going anywhere.
I bet it's the agent's doing, making James do this. Doubt lebron would be this douchey on his own.

More-Than-Most
07-05-2015, 05:30 AM
He's not going anywhere.
I bet it's the agent's doing, making James do this. Doubt lebron would be this douchey on his own.

lol i think he would be this douchey on his own.

R. Johnson#3
07-05-2015, 05:48 AM
He's going to get the max and it's going to be the worst contract ever in the history of the NBA.

More-Than-Most
07-05-2015, 06:28 AM
He's going to get the max and it's going to be the worst contract ever in the history of the NBA.

no chance....Honestly Kobe Bryants new deal might be the worst ever... also then there is this...
http://www.sportsbreak.com/nba/10-worst-contracts-in-nba-history/

Big Zo
07-05-2015, 06:29 AM
He's going everywhere.

Minimal
07-05-2015, 08:15 AM
no chance....Honestly Kobe Bryants new deal might be the worst ever... also then there is this...
And there is Jermaine O'Neal, who we paid 23 million to choke in the playoffs putting worst FG% in nba playoff history, putting a full 2.5 PER, being a second/third option, and costing us series against Boston Celtics in 2010

IBleedPurple
07-05-2015, 08:25 AM
He's going somewhere

Gander13SM
07-05-2015, 08:41 AM
Worst contract in the league is still Gilbert Arenas because Orlando are STILL paying him. (Until next year)

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-05-2015, 09:25 AM
Thompson got $80M and now it's not enough? Suited Aldridge just fine for $80M to sign with Spurs.

hugepatsfan
07-05-2015, 09:35 AM
I respect the hell out of Lebron keeping the pressure on the team to exhaust their resources if they want him. He makes them extra money and he's making sure the owner isn't pocketing the revenue he brings in and screwing him on the roster. That being said, if Lebron wants to do that he should be a smatter GM. TT is a great player but the moves they're making aren't just going to leave them with no room to sign anyone else under this cap, but also the new higher one. They're going to be unable to sign better players that they could have if they didn't lock up every single role player on their team. But then again, I understand Lebron not wanting to give up a prime year not having the best team possible for the lure of maybe drawing a better FA to what overall is still an unattractive market for stars even with him there.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-05-2015, 09:59 AM
Maybe owner gets revenge and tells Thompson and LeBron to hit the road. Not many teams with cap left. That be funny. Wont happen but would be funny.

phantasyyy
07-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Lmao this thought just hit me.. with all the main pieces for the cavs signing long term contracts (4/5 year deals) and LeBron taking short term deals (1-2year deals with player options allowing him to opt out every year). What if he finds a way to win a ring with the Cavs (fulfilling his duty) and then decides to return to the Heat lol (highly unlikely) but hear me out..

He only spent 4 years with the Heat, sure it was highly successful resulting:
4x Finals Trips
2x Rings
2x Mvp
4x First Team All Nba
3x First Team Defense
1x Second Team Defense

Sure they accolades are there but is it enough for them to retire his jersey one day? Add to the fact that Miami finally got the center they lacked during their run, Bosh and Dragic locked in long term, and wade being a lifer.
I'm sure something like a jersey retirement has to be on Lebron's mind, being as egotistical as he is, and with the ability to finally bring a ring to the Cavs, you think he bolts before all those long term commitments their making leaves them financially unable to maneuver out of the bad contracts for TT, AV, and Shump

Sly Guy
07-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Lmao this thought just hit me.. with all the main pieces for the cavs signing long term contracts (4/5 year deals) and LeBron taking short term deals (1-2year deals with player options allowing him to opt out every year). What if he finds a way to win a ring with the Cavs (fulfilling his duty) and then decides to return to the Heat lol (highly unlikely) but hear me out..

4x Finals Trips
2x Rings
2x Mvp
4x First Team All Nba
3x First Team Defense
1x Second Team Defense

Sure they accolades are there but is it enough for them to retire his jersey one day? Add to the fact that Miami finally got the center they lacked during their run, Bosh and Dragic locked in long term, and wade being a lifer.
I'm sure something like a jersey retirement has to be on Lebron's mind, being as egotistical as he is, and with the ability to finally bring a ring to the Cavs, you think he bolts before all those long term commitments their making leaves them financially unable to maneuver out of the bad contracts for TT, AV, and Shump

he'll probably get it in both arenas tbh. Cavs don't have many numbers in the rafters either, and he did do good things for them, even if it hasn't been a 'ship yet.

As for lebron's actions, I kind of applaud him here. I mean, at this point, I expect no loyalty from him and that's fine. He's just using his leverage to put himself in the best possible situation. I'd be annoyed having to score 60 points a game playing alongside the scrubs he had in the finals just to be competitive too.

basketballkitty
07-05-2015, 11:13 AM
I know they have the same agent, but if I'm the Cavs, I play Hardball. I offer 60 million for 5 years Max. If he doesn't like it.....say bye-bye.

phantasyyy
07-05-2015, 11:28 AM
he'll probably get it in both arenas tbh. Cavs don't have many numbers in the rafters either, and he did do good things for them, even if it hasn't been a 'ship yet.

As for lebron's actions, I kind of applaud him here. I mean, at this point, I expect no loyalty from him and that's fine. He's just using his leverage to put himself in the best possible situation. I'd be annoyed having to score 60 points a game playing alongside the scrubs he had in the finals just to be competitive too.

More in reference to the Hearts rafters, hes a lock for the Cavs already, even without returning. Its just I think 4 years is too short to do so, but what do I know lol- the heat did retire MJ's 23 didn't they?

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-05-2015, 12:50 PM

Any time I read your post about that lakers I laugh. You can feel how mad you about us taking Russell from you.

flea
07-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Lebron needs so much help that he has to hold his small market team hostage so they will shell out what looks to be a record luxury tax bill. If it weren't bad enough that he is forcing his GM into personnel moves, or that he is further tipping the scales in his own favor, it's probably that he won't take one red cent less than max to achieve it.

True leader, much heroic.

Scoots
07-05-2015, 01:28 PM
It would be funny if it broke down now, but the Cavs can't let it happen so Thompson's group were smart to hold out for the max.

WITZ
07-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Not buying this Windy also said Lebron wasn't going to recruit Love again. Low and behold we get Lebron & Love having a meeting poolside. TT holding out for more than 80 Million :facepalm:

Scoots
07-05-2015, 02:14 PM
Not buying this Windy also said Lebron wasn't going to recruit Love again. Low and behold we get Lebron & Love having a meeting poolside. TT holding out for more than 80 Million :facepalm:

Think TT is upset Draymond Green got more than he did?

mavwar53
07-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Doesn't this just force Cleveland to pay Thompson the Max? If this is true Thompson can just sit there and have all the control because LBJ runs the team until he signs elsewhere.

WITZ
07-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Think TT is upset Draymond Green got more than he did?

If any one was upset it was Green who broke off talks when this deal was 1st announced ,don't think TT upset over the extra 3 mil he got lol. Considering TT doesn't do most of what Green does he should be happy to be getting over-payed and pulling in 80 Mil.

Scoots
07-05-2015, 02:32 PM
If any one was upset it was Green who broke off talks when this deal was 1st announced ,don't think TT upset over the extra 3 mil he got lol. Considering TT doesn't do most of what Green does he should be happy to be getting over-payed and pulling in 80 Mil.

Green said he was willing to give the Warriors a discount and he ended up taking around $1M/yr less than he could have been paid by any team other than the Warriors in return he got 1 more year. People involved and around the negotiations have said there was never any animosity and it was just a process to come to an agreeable compromise.

If you are TT why take less than the max? It doesn't cost the team any flexibility, and he knows they are desperate to keep him to keep LeBron.

WITZ
07-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Green said he was willing to give the Warriors a discount and he ended up taking around $1M/yr less than he could have been paid by any team other than the Warriors in return he got 1 more year. People involved and around the negotiations have said there was never any animosity and it was just a process to come to an agreeable compromise.

If you are TT why take less than the max? It doesn't cost the team any flexibility, and he knows they are desperate to keep him to keep LeBron.

Because hes not a max player thats why. Hes just getting Greedy now, getting paid more than Aldridge :laugh2:

Yanks All Day
07-05-2015, 02:54 PM
It's really easy for fans to sit back and tell players to take less money when they're the ones not getting paid. But why would Thompson have to? He's got a billionaire owner who looks very willing to spend, the same agent as LeBron, and LeBron's backing. He has no reason to take any less money. The Cavaliers are over the tax. They are just working to keep their own. If a player can get more money, more power to him.

As for the Cavs, they should just lock him up already. Kyrie is 23 and signed for 4 more years. Love is 26 and signed for 5 more. Thompson is 24 and could be signed for 5 more. Shumpert is 25 and signed for 4 years. And finally LeBron is going to be around. You have a core of very, very good players in their primes who will give you a chance to win a title every year for probably the next 5 years. Championship teams don't come around often, especially for teams like Cleveland. They just have to go all in for a bit. The pieces are there.

Scoots
07-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Because hes not a max player thats why. Hes just getting Greedy now, getting paid more than Aldridge :laugh2:

So if you're TT the reason you don't ask for the max is because you are getting greedy?

TT has no reason not to ask for the max if he knows he can get it. Green had a competitive reason to not ask for the max, but TT doesn't even have that reason since the Cavs are going to stay way over the cap for years so it really only makes a difference to Gilbert. I wouldn't be surprised if LeBron called TT and told him to hold out for the max and that LeBron wouldn't be signing until TT did.

Also, Aldridge is getting $20M per year, maxed out TT still won't get $20M per year.

WITZ
07-05-2015, 03:12 PM
So if you're TT the reason you don't ask for the max is because you are getting greedy?

TT has no reason not to ask for the max if he knows he can get it. Green had a competitive reason to not ask for the max, but TT doesn't even have that reason since the Cavs are going to stay way over the cap for years so it really only makes a difference to Gilbert. I wouldn't be surprised if LeBron called TT and told him to hold out for the max and that LeBron wouldn't be signing until TT did.

Also, Aldridge is getting $20M per year, maxed out TT still won't get $20M per year.

Not what i said the first reported contract was over 80 Mil which is already a damn generous offer for a player that only has something to offer on one side of the court. If that's not someone getting greedy i don't know what is. Btw i would because 90% of what Windy has reported on the cavs he has been wrong on Love leaving, Kyrie leaving, Lebron not coming back, Lebron not recruting love again etc.

GiantsSwaGG
07-05-2015, 03:15 PM
LBJ is pretty much ****ing up the value for rebounders, now players like Reggie Evans will command the max

superwill
07-05-2015, 03:18 PM
Worst contract in the league is still Gilbert Arenas because Orlando are STILL paying him. (Until next year)

No Kelvin Cato was the worst contract ever he did nothing to earn that 42 million dollar contract

CTCUBBIES
07-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Lebron and his supporters made it clear he had no help in the finals but now he's trying to tell management their was another max player on the team all along. Which is it? Did he have no help or is TT a max guy?

I know it isn't this cut and dry but it really is a hypocritical negotiating tactic and very transparent that Lebron's agent is using the situation to get Thompson money he doesn't deserve.

Scoots
07-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Not what i said the first reported contract was over 80 Mil which is already a damn generous offer for a player that only has something to offer on one side of the court. If that's not someone getting greedy i don't know what is. Btw i would because 90% of what Windy has reported on the cavs he has been wrong on Love leaving, Kyrie leaving, Lebron not coming back, Lebron not recruting love again etc.

So, you are saying that TT is being greedy, got it. What I'm asking is what is in it for TT to NOT be greedy? If LeBron told him to hold out for the max and he can get the max and it costs the team nothing but to Gilberts pocket ... why NOT do it?

Scoots
07-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Lebron and his supporters made it clear he had no help in the finals but now he's trying to tell management their was another max player on the team all along. Which is it? Did he have no help or is TT a max guy?

I know it isn't this cut and dry but it really is a hypocritical negotiating tactic and very transparent that Lebron's agent is using the situation to get Thompson money he doesn't deserve.

The Cavs and the Rockets had people downplaying the quality of the teams around their stars, the season ended and now they are suddenly good again.

dnl123
07-05-2015, 04:28 PM

TT is not a max guy, but he was a solid player all series long. IMO There's really only about 10-15 guys in the entire NBA that deserve the max but players get it because teams are afraid of losing them.

WITZ
07-05-2015, 04:44 PM
So, you are saying that TT is being greedy, got it. What I'm asking is what is in it for TT to NOT be greedy? If LeBron told him to hold out for the max and he can get the max and it costs the team nothing but to Gilberts pocket ... why NOT do it?

In that case let him go out and get a cheaper deal and match that one because i highly doubt anyone pays him what he is looking for. Who are the cavs bidding against? Thats right nobody so why give a player all the leverage. Btw Where is this lebron told him to opt out for max stuff coming from lol.

jimm120
07-05-2015, 05:00 PM
Thompson got $80M and now it's not enough? Suited Aldridge just fine for $80M to sign with Spurs.

4/80 and 5/80 is different.

that said, I believe that the Cavs most probably reneged on it and started offering less.

bucketss
07-05-2015, 05:09 PM
LOL cavs could have signed alidrdige for less!!!

archdevil84
07-05-2015, 05:10 PM
lol is gilbert arenas STILL getting paid? NBA2k11 is the last time i saw/heard anything of him

bucketss
07-05-2015, 05:10 PM
now theres rumours they want to trade for joe johnson, that payroll is ridiculous.

hugepatsfan
07-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Cavs re-sign TT. Haywood, Andy V, Joe Harris to BRK for JJ. Let him be the 6th man.

Irving/Delly
Shumpert/JJ
Lebron/Miller
Love/TT
Mozgov

JNA17
07-05-2015, 05:24 PM
He's going....going....going...

Silent
07-05-2015, 06:44 PM
wish i was 6'8 i could make 80 mill just for rebounding **** is crazy

Cracka2HI!
07-05-2015, 06:45 PM

I always like reading articles about bad contracts. One of the really underrated bad contracts of all time was Adonal Foyle for 6 years and $42 million back in 2004. He only made it 2-3 seasons before they waived him. GS couldn't even work him into a trade. The most impactful may have been Jim McIlvane. The article talks about how Seattle basically gave him Kemp's money. Later that year Kemp was traded and 10 years later they no longer had a franchise.

Sanjay
07-05-2015, 08:51 PM
wish i was 6'8 i could make 80 mill just for rebounding **** is crazy

And just offensive rebounding at that.

xxplayerxx23
07-05-2015, 10:36 PM
Cavs re-sign TT. Haywood, Andy V, Joe Harris to BRK for JJ. Let him be the 6th man.

Irving/Delly
Shumpert/JJ
Lebron/Miller
Love/TT
Mozgov

Lol
JJ would start

AllBall
07-05-2015, 10:46 PM

4x Finals Trips
2x Rings
2x Mvp
4x First Team All Nba
3x First Team Defense
1x Second Team Defense

Lebron can go F himself. Riley will get a statue built, Wade and UD will have their #'s retired and we will give #6 soon enough to someone else to drive that message home.

Also, Lebron has no leverage here. Give TT the max or what? I'll walk? To where? Its all a bluff.

chjghj
07-06-2015, 10:59 AM
I bet it's the agent's doing, making James do this. Doubt lebron would be this douchey on his own. http://healthlifeok.com/green/images/44.gifhttp://healthlifeok.com/green/images/63.gif

Kyben36
07-06-2015, 11:21 AM
lebron saying that does not help the situation, Tristian thompson just got more money because of lebrons words

hugepatsfan
07-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Lol
JJ would start

Rotation wise it would make more time to bring him off the bench IMO. I'm sure they'll want to manage Lebron's minutes as he gets older and Kyrie is coming off injury himself. It'd be in their best interests to have 2 out of the 3 scorers on the court together at all times so they can divert defensive attention from each other. If you play all 3 to start the game, that becomes a little harder to do later in the games with the rotation. Obviously you put all 3 on the floor together to close out games and even coming off the bench JJ still gets 30. If he could embrace the role he might be 6th man of the year.

Jayb587
07-06-2015, 11:57 AM
so what happens if the gilbert grows a pair of balls and decides not to give 2 PF max deals, where only one of them can start. What does LeBron do then? honestly where could he even go for a max right now.

LA_Raiders
07-06-2015, 12:03 PM
He will get overpaid, just because he is one of lebrons daddies

Scoots
07-06-2015, 01:51 PM
so what happens if the gilbert grows a pair of balls and decides not to give 2 PF max deals, where only one of them can start. What does LeBron do then? honestly where could he even go for a max right now.

The Warriors would take LeBron for the taxpayer MLE :) I'm sure they'd do him that favor.

The Cavs would be favored in the East even without LeBron at this point (assuming JJ comes too) ... if they don't win it all it will be another knock on LBJ ... he should just give up now and go to a team he knows can win :)

Heatcheck
07-06-2015, 02:00 PM
I bet it's the agent's doing, making James do this. Doubt lebron would be this douchey on his own. http://healthlifeok.com/green/images/44.gifhttp://healthlifeok.com/green/images/63.gif

Lebrons "agent" is his best friend, and hess holding out until his friends client gets a max deal.

DeadWrestler
07-06-2015, 05:30 PM
Some real misunderstandings of how good Tristan Thompson is and will probably be in the next few years.

He's already one of the best defensive big men in the game, and he's only 24. He's really improved tremendously here. He's also a great offensive rebounder. He switched his shooting hand recently, and is now just starting to develop an offensive game. In the NBA today where it's all about a fast pace, and spacing (unless you're Memphis or a couple other teams) big men that can run the floor, and defend multiple positions on the switch, while playing great defense are very important and very hard to come by. Not to mention the max will be going up significantly next season, and the contract will seem minimal by then. Next season the max will probably go up for his experience bracket by 5 million.

phantasyyy
07-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Max deal for the 5th option.. LOL, cavs probably realized what the rest of the world was thinking.. how we gonna give a max contract when we already have over 40m committed to 3 players in the front court.

SluggeR
07-06-2015, 08:32 PM
I thought I was the only one that thought it was bad business for the Cavs to pay TT that much to be a reserve. Gilbert better grow a pair. I don't understand why TT hasn't signed with the Raptors, don't they need a rugged PF?

Jayb587
07-07-2015, 01:02 AM
Some real misunderstandings of how good Tristan Thompson is and will probably be in the next few years.

He's already one of the best defensive big men in the game, and he's only 24. He's really improved tremendously here. He's also a great offensive rebounder. He switched his shooting hand recently, and is now just starting to develop an offensive game. In the NBA today where it's all about a fast pace, and spacing (unless you're Memphis or a couple other teams) big men that can run the floor, and defend multiple positions on the switch, while playing great defense are very important and very hard to come by. Not to mention the max will be going up significantly next season, and the contract will seem minimal by then. Next season the max will probably go up for his experience bracket by 5 million.

I think we understand how good he is. which is why I cant fathom why he wants to stay in CLE and come off the bench.

JLeBeau76
07-07-2015, 06:41 AM
I think we understand how good he is. which is why I cant fathom why he wants to stay in CLE and come off the bench.

starter/bench...its just labels, minutes is where its at and he usually gets more than Moz and Love since he can play both positions.

And for those saying why he just doesn't go somewhere else and start....he can't. He's a restricted free agent which means he will be in Cleveland one more year no matter what happens.

Munkeysuit
07-07-2015, 07:34 AM
Lebron looking out for the broski's

DeadWrestler
07-07-2015, 03:09 PM
starter/bench...its just labels, minutes is where its at and he usually gets more than Moz and Love since he can play both positions.

And for those saying why he just doesn't go somewhere else and start....he can't. He's a restricted free agent which means he will be in Cleveland one more year no matter what happens.

What he said.

I think many people are insinuating that TT is only getting this contract because he's Lebron's friend. Sure Lebron is pushing for his team to resign him, but come on... There's a reason that he wants him on his team not just because they both like scrabble or something weird. Tristan is a player that has made huge improvements in his game, and has huge potential especially in these next few years where he'll be entering his prime. Plus with the salary cap moving it makes sense.