PDA

View Full Version : Where will Ty Lawson and Joe Johnson be traded to?

mbsalame123
07-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Ty Lawson has been completely ignored. No one wants him, no one at all. All the teams that could have been potential trade partners, have added the point guards they need. The Rockets have Beverley, Mavs will add Jeremy Lin, and the Knicks don't have the assets to trade for him. I can't think of any team that can trade for Ty Lawson which makes me think Lawson could be in a troubled spot with the Nuggets after his video stating "I will go to the Kings" went viral.

Joe Johnson has a huge expiring contract and can still score 20 points a game, however teams will have to give up several assets to obtain Johnson and it is looking like it will be very hard for the Nets to trade him.

So what do you guys think? Where will these players get traded?

mightybosstone
07-04-2015, 09:03 PM
As a Rockets fan, I assure you we would love to have Lawson in Houston, and Morey absolutely is not done with the point guard rotation. Harden specifically asked Morey after the season was over to add somebody in the back court who can help handle the ballhandling duties. And I love Bev, but he is not that guy.

I could see Houston offering up a combination of Papanikolau's un-guaranteed contract, Terrence Jones, Sam Dekker and a couple of future first rounders for Lawson. But would Denver bite on that? I have no clue. But he's clearly unhappy there, and I can't imagine that Denver wants him that badly after drafting Mudiay.

Scoots
07-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Lawson wants out and Denver wants him out ... I don't think they will need 2 players, a rookie first round pick and 2 future first round picks for him.

Sixers would take him off the Nuggets hands for a first round pick ... a Nuggets first round pick :)

sep11ie
07-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Dang, MBT, that's a motherload for Lawson. I think Papa and Jones should do it if they can make money work.

mightybosstone
07-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Lawson wants out and Denver wants him out ... I don't think they will need 2 players, a rookie first round pick and 2 future first round picks for him.

Sixers would take him off the Nuggets hands for a first round pick ... a Nuggets first round pick :)

The Rockets have tried to get Lawson in the past, and Denver's asking price has supposedly been really, really high. Even with Lawson being at odds with the coaching staff, I think Denver will drive a pretty hard bargain for Lawson. It will be interesting to see how that situation plays out, though. I wouldn't be shocked to see him dealt or for him to be a Nuggets jersey at the start of the season. But if he is dealt, I hope Morey can bring him to Houston.

Cracka2HI!
07-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Houston and Philly are the only teams I see as a fit for Lawson. I doubt a move can be made tho. I don't see Houston matching salary and I don't think Philly wants to win badly enough to pick him up. There is no market for a player like Johnson with that big of a contract imo.

mightybosstone
07-04-2015, 09:20 PM
I think you guys may be underrating Lawson's value a tad. The guy put up 15/10/3 last season with above average numbers in most advanced statistical categories. And at $12-$13 million a year the next two seasons, that's a pretty reasonable price for a top 10 caliber point guard in today's market.

Plus, you have to remember that the Rockets have to come close to matching that $12 million salary. It would take at least Pap and Jones, and maybe one or two other contracts to make it work. And if there's any kind of competition for Lawson's services, Denver could drive up the asking price and ask for more. Unless Denver is just having a fire sale, I seriously doubt Pap and Jones gets the deal done.

IBleedPurple
07-04-2015, 09:24 PM
I think you guys may be underrating Lawson's value a tad. The guy put up 15/10/3 last season with above average numbers in most advanced statistical categories. And at $12-$13 million a year the next two seasons, that's a pretty reasonable price for a top 10 caliber point guard in today's market.Seems to be a trend around here underrating him.

mbsalame123
07-04-2015, 09:35 PM
As a Rockets fan, I assure you we would love to have Lawson in Houston, and Morey absolutely is not done with the point guard rotation. Harden specifically asked Morey after the season was over to add somebody in the back court who can help handle the ballhandling duties. And I love Bev, but he is not that guy.

I could see Houston offering up a combination of Papanikolau's un-guaranteed contract, Terrence Jones, Sam Dekker and a couple of future first rounders for Lawson. But would Denver bite on that? I have no clue. But he's clearly unhappy there, and I can't imagine that Denver wants him that badly after drafting Mudiay.

I can still see the Rockets trading for Ty Lawson but I don't think they would have thrown that contract at Patrick Beverley if they didn't think he would be their starter. But it still makes sense for Houston to make a trade, especially since they have so much depth from the 3-5 with Jones, Capela, Donates, Dekker, Harrell, Dorsey, Pop and draft picks. I can see a third team being involved in the trade as well but something also tells me the nuggets want to include wilson chandler or danilo gallinari in a deal which makes it harder for the rockets to pull off.

mbsalame123
07-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Seems to be a trend around here underrating him.

I'm from Denver and have been following Lawson since the day he was here. Lawson thrives in an open offense like the one that was run by George Karl and Melvin Hunt. He struggled with Shaw because it was more of a half court offense. But lawson can create a shot for himself and is capable of running an offense. He just needs talent around him. If he were to play for the Rockets or for someone like the Pacers or Mavericks, then he would be amazing!

mbsalame123
07-04-2015, 09:39 PM
What about Joe Johnson? There was talks that he could be headed to the Grizzlies, however that is doubtful unless they want to give up Green, Lee, and more depth, which isn't happening. The Pistons might be a fit for someone like Brandon Jennings but I don't think the Pistons are content with running with jackson and jennings in the back court. I can't think of any other team to trade for Johnson though

mbsalame123
07-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Houston and Philly are the only teams I see as a fit for Lawson. I doubt a move can be made tho. I don't see Houston matching salary and I don't think Philly wants to win badly enough to pick him up. There is no market for a player like Johnson with that big of a contract imo.

yeah I agree with you however, both players need to be traded or else there will be issues within each organization due to the conception thrown out there by both the players and teams that they will get traded. I think something will get worked out where I can see a team like the Pistons or Grizzlies trading for Joe Johnson and then a team like the Rockets or Celtics trading for Lawson

TrueFan420
07-04-2015, 11:40 PM
Mavs should do everything they can to get Lawson

Dade County
07-04-2015, 11:57 PM
Mavs should do everything they can to get Lawson

That makes sense.

sep11ie
07-04-2015, 11:59 PM
The Mavs have literally nobody of value that they can trade.

TrueFan420
07-05-2015, 12:11 AM
The Mavs have literally nobody of value that they can trade.

Yea they'd need to swing a 3 way deal and offer up a couple firsts.

mbsalame123
07-05-2015, 12:46 AM

Yeah I think the mavericks might go another route and sign jeremy lin.

I think Ty Lawson will end up with the Celtics as they have a ton of assets but we will see.

rockets-fan
07-05-2015, 12:47 AM

I think Ty Lawson will end up with the Celtics as they have a ton of assets but we will see.

More point guards?!?

TrueFan420
07-05-2015, 12:52 AM

Jeremey Lin isn't a starting quality PG and in no way shape or form change wether or not they should go after Lawson. Lawson has to be they're next goal.

mbsalame123
07-05-2015, 12:57 AM
More point guards?!?

They will trade some point guards for him haha they did have interest in him in the beginning of the month so I figured they might still be interested although it might not make sense.

mbsalame123
07-05-2015, 01:00 AM
Jeremey Lin isn't a starting quality PG and in no way shape or form change wether or not they should go after Lawson. Lawson has to be they're next goal.

Lin is better than what the Mavs have or can get. They might try to go after Lawson but in no way shape or form do they have the assets to get Lawson. The Nuggets are asking for at least a first round draft pick or 2 along with some expiring contract and a young player. The mavs won't be able to match that demand so that's why they're going after Jeremy Lin as their new point guard.

Jeremy will fit in well with the Mavs running a very similar offense to the one that was run in New York where he had his breakout season. He is capable of running an effective pick and roll and will allow Deandre Jordan to thrive while playing with Chandler Parsons and Dirk Nowitski. He won't have to take on the burden of scoring more than 8 points a game and will get to focus primarily on running the offense, something that he hasn't been allowed to do in Houston or with the Lakers.

mbsalame123
07-05-2015, 01:03 AM
I expect these next few days to consist of trade chatter with lots of teams that missed out on their free agents going after players like Taj Gibson, Joe Johnson, Ty Lawson, and other available players like Branden Haywood and his huge non-guaranteed contract.

Post any news that you might find here and we can make this a broader topic discussing other potential trades like ones for David Lee. Wouldn't be surprised to see the pacers send their trade exception they receive from the lakers for roy hibbert to trade for David Lee. He would be a perfect fit with the Pacers

Mr.B
07-05-2015, 10:02 AM

I would love to see Lawson in Dallas but unless the Nuggets become part of a 3-team trade that involves the Suns acquisition of Tyson I don't see it happening. I also don't think the Mavs want to do it. I his contract would eat into next off seasons salary cap. I think the Mavs are content with signing a stop gap PG like Lin even if it means they will miss the playoffs this year. The Mavs are building for the future and not just for this year.

Ty_Lawson
07-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Dekker, Jones, 2016 1st(unprotected) and filler from HOU should do it.
If there is more players involved, there should be 3rd team, because we don't have roster spots, even with 3 guys we would have to cut 1 or 2 players i think..

Shammyguy3
07-05-2015, 11:51 AM
Rose for Lawson & Gallo

mbsalame123
07-05-2015, 12:33 PM
If there is more players involved, there should be 3rd team, because we don't have roster spots, even with 3 guys we would have to cut 1 or 2 players i think..

I agree and like this trade. I think the Rockets are stacked from the position 3-5 so they will most likely make a trade. If they are able to trade for Lawson and have Beverley come off the bench, then the rockets will be a deep team next year. I don't know if the Nuggets would want Terrence Jones since they've got Kenneth Faried, but a third team could get involved. Ultimately I feel like the Rockets will end up with Lawson

mbsalame123
07-05-2015, 12:35 PM
That would be awesome but Rose isn't getting traded. I feel like in addition to Lawson the Nuggets will try and trade either Wilson Chandler or Danilo Gallinari but I feel like Chandler gets traded for someone like Jamal Crawford of the Clippers

North Yorker
07-05-2015, 12:47 PM
I agree and like this trade. I think the Rockets are stacked from the position 3-5 so they will most likely make a trade. If they are able to trade for Lawson and have Beverley come off the bench, then the rockets will be a deep team next year. I don't know if the Nuggets would want Terrence Jones since they've got Kenneth Faried, but a third team could get involved. Ultimately I feel like the Rockets will end up with Lawson

Denver gets: Dekker, T. Ross, 2016 Houston 1st
Toronto gets: T. Jones
Houston gets: Lawson

Scoots
07-05-2015, 12:55 PM

Ty, you would know more than we do, but do you think Morey would do that move? That's a lot of his horded assets for you, and significantly more than any other team can offer for your services. Why pay more than anyone else will by so much? My guess is that Morey tries to make the deal but make it cheaper.

5ass
07-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Ty, you would know more than we do, but do you think Morey would do that move? That's a lot of his horded assets for you, and significantly more than any other team can offer for your services. Why pay more than anyone else will by so much? My guess is that Morey tries to make the deal but make it cheaper.

Agreed. I can't think of too many teams that are going to go after Lawson. Knicks dont have much to offer.

Gander13SM
07-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Nobody is taking on Joe without getting a lot packaged with him. You would need to give up a couple unprotected picks just to get someone to take that contract on.

rockets-fan
07-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Nobody is taking on Joe without getting a lot packaged with him. You would need to give up a couple unprotected picks just to get someone to take that contract on.

I don't think they have any to take away

mrblisterdundee
07-05-2015, 02:49 PM
I would've been great if the Kings had tried to get him. Besides them, I think Houston and the Mavericks are the best bet.

mbsalame123
07-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Joe Johnson has a huge expiring contract which could be beneficial to teams looking to free up some cap for next year when the salary inflates. While an expiring contract is great to have, his contract is so huge that it would take at least 3 players to take on his contract. But, keep in mind that Joe Johnson is still a very good player. He can score 20 points on any given night and will come in clutch in the last minute. The Grizzlies would have been a perfect fit for Johnson as they need a proven scorer on the wing, however they would need to give up too much of their depth which is the reason why the backed away from the trade.

I think Johnson could get traded to the Pistons for Tolliver, Pope, and a couple other players. However, besides that, I can't think of anyone else.

mbsalame123
07-05-2015, 03:16 PM
I really like this trade. I think the Raptors are still looking for a starting power forward to replace Amir Johnson as they would like to have Patrick Patterson come off the bench for them. I think they might be linked to Taj Gibson and the Bulls if he is available, however it wouldn't surprise me to see a trade like this happen.

I think the Nuggets would benefit with Ross which would allow them to trade Wilson Chandler or Gallinari and then getting Dekker and a first is a nice asset to have. Dekker hasn't been signed by the Rockets yet which makes me think he might be available in trades, especially since the Rockets resigned Corey Brewer and are planning on resigning KJ Mcdaniels.

I think the Raptors will make Ross expandable due to the Carroll signing and he won't be needed at all if they are able to resign Lou Williams. I like this trade for all 3 teams, someone should contact Morey and let him know! hahah

mbsalame123
07-05-2015, 03:19 PM
That is true but Morey has so much depth right now and if it means making Harden happy with a better point guard, then he will do it. Lawson is really good and in my opinion that isn't too much for a player like that. If Morey is able to get someone else in addition to Lawson in return then that would make the trade even better. I think if Lawson ends up in Houston then it will definitely be a 3 team trade with Jones going somewhere else, because the Nuggets don't need another forward.

Unless Morey tries to get Faried as well then that would be a mega steal! Imagine Faried, lawson, howard, ariza, and harden! They would match up well with the spurs and any other team in the NBA.

There are rumors out there that Josh Smith might be headed to the Kings so if the Rockets lose Smith then that could be a feasible option for the Rockets getting Faried

mbsalame123
07-05-2015, 03:22 PM
It would have been nice for the Kings to get him, but Rondo is a cheaper version and I think he will fit in well with the Kings. People are bashing the Kings for the decisions they have made and well I am hearing that they might be on verge of signing Josh Smith which would lead to even more bashing due to the personalities on that team.

But I feel like rondo, gay, cousins and smith would be capable of dominating with belinelli and mclemore on the wings as well. Karl has coached teams with personalities like this in Denver with AI, Melo, Kenyon Martin, and JR Smith. The difference here is Gay, Rondo and Smith are best friends and Cousins likes them too. This would be the ultimate bad boys team that would make noise in the playoffs!

beasted86
07-05-2015, 03:26 PM
I have a feeling Johnson will somehow end up on the Cavs.

Lawson would be a very good fit with Charlotte. Kemba + package of picks for Lawson.

mbsalame123
07-05-2015, 04:16 PM

Lawson would be a very good fit with Charlotte. Kemba + package of picks for Lawson.

I think the Cavaliers might possibly trade Tristan Thompson in a sign and trade if they are unable to sign up but I think Johnson would be a nice fit in Cleveland, although they would have to give up a lot to get him.

I think the Nets will ultimately trade him for something idk where though and for what haha

Lawson won't go to the Hornets, I think he will end up with the Rockets or start the season with the Nuggets

mbsalame123
07-05-2015, 04:22 PM

I am starting to get that feeling and here is a link to this rumor:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13202763/cleveland-cavaliers-interested-joe-johnson-brooklyn-nets

Joe Johnson to the Cavs would be huge! I think Haywood and Varejao along with a pick will do it for the Nets. Varejao has been hurt all year and although he has been a huge fan favorite for the cavs, if they get an assurance from David West that he will sign with them then Varejao will be easily expandable.

I think Joe Johnson will end up with the Cavaliers as they form a huge lineup with:

Mosgov
Love
Lebron
Johnson
Irving

bench: Thompson, West, Shumpert, JR Smith, Mo Williams, Delly, Miller, Perkins, Harris, and Jones

This team would be unstoppable and matchup really well with the Spurs