PDA

View Full Version : "With LaMarcus Aldridge gone, the Blazers can finally exhale their relief"

Clippersfan86
07-04-2015, 06:12 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2015/07/lamarcus_aldridge_is_gone_and_now_the_trail_blazer .html#incart_story_package

So mourn today, Rip City. But tomorrow, move on. It's a new era, with a new face of the franchise.

It's why moments after Aldridge tweeted his decision I texted Lillard.

"Your team now. Excited to see what you do with it. I have no doubts you are ready,'' I wrote.

His response was two words:

"I am.''

Chills. Love that ending. Let the era of Lillard begin in Portland. Olshey already recovered nicely with a few good bargain contracts on young players and 26 mill in cap still to absorb players or FA next year.

Real interesting read. I have seen signs of the bitterness/chip on shoulder first hand. I remember when Blake Griffin made the all star game his rookie year, Aldridge straight up complained in an interview and implied he deserved it more than Blake. Then for a year or two as a result they had some weird exchanges on the court, before moving past it and becoming friends in Blake's 3rd year.

minato_17
07-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Aldridge handled this correctly. He did not hold the franchise hostage or made a drama of him leaving. Portland was ready for his departure and they will be fine after a few years of rebuilding.

TO Rapz
07-04-2015, 06:30 PM
Seems kind of bitter from the writer that LMA has left but very interesting read. My entire perception of LMA just changed. Its strange to think a character like this is what the Spurs pursued in FA.

flea
07-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Aldridge handled this correctly. He did not hold the franchise hostage or made a drama of him leaving. Portland was ready for his departure and they will be fine after a few years of rebuilding.

Well now let's give Lebron credit. He colluded with the league office to get the team he left 5 top-4 picks in 4 years so he could rejoin a young team "built" through the draft. That was mighty white of him.

SMH!
07-04-2015, 07:25 PM

Idk about that, he did say this which could be believed as a promise to Portland, hence them not wanting to trade him.

"I want to be the best Blazer ever. If I stay the rest of my career, I should be able to catch Clyde by then. I should be able to leave a mark on a big-time franchise that is going to be seen forever. And I will be able to say I played here my whole career. This city has embraced me and grown with me. I have so much history, it just makes sense to stay."

JasonJohnHorn
07-04-2015, 07:25 PM
It was nice to see a player let his team know what he was doing so that they didn't have to start gambling and instead could work around what was going on. It would have been better if LMA had done that BEFORE the trade deadline, but he didn't seem like his mind was made up one way or the other at that time, so that seems fair.

I think it frees Portland up to go in a different direction. They will be bad this year, but with a lottery pick, AND enough cap space to sign to big-ticket free agents next year (the 26 mill AND the 20+ million the cap is jumping up), along with an All-Star point guard locked in at what is going to be a bargain deal in two years when the cap jumps up, the Trailblazers look like they are in great shape. They weren't going to be able to build a contender around LMA. He's a good guy, smart, and hard working, but he isn't a great passer and his shooting percentage isn't great.

valade16
07-04-2015, 08:20 PM
As a Blazers fan I have to ask when was the last time a big name FA signed with us?

jerellh528
07-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Lillard is going to lead Portland to a brighter future. He's NOT overrated, contrary to what some people think. Lillard is underrated imo, one of my favorite young guards in the league. LMA is the type of player who as a first option or face of the franchise, can't do any better than pseudo contention and never getting over the hump. That's why he fits in so well in sa, they spread responsibility around and have concrete roles better than any other team. But now port can build around lillard, who I think is a better player than lma.

mrblisterdundee
07-04-2015, 10:04 PM
I like the Blazers sitting back a year. The best options were long gone by the time they knew Aldridge's plans. In the meantime, they got some young guys who defend well on the cheap. Their shooting is going to suck, and I hope they go after Harrison Barnes next year.

mrblisterdundee
07-04-2015, 10:07 PM
As a Blazers fan I have to ask when was the last time a big name FA signed with us?

Kenny Anderson is the biggest free agent ever signed by Portland. It's as sad as you thought it was.