PDA

View Full Version : Lakers and Hibbert ?

Stunner
07-04-2015, 05:11 PM
@ESPNSteinLine: ESPN sources say that the Lakers and Pacers are actively discussing a trade where L.A. would take Roy Hibbert into salary-cap space

Cal827
07-04-2015, 05:36 PM
It would be a good move for LA. Doesn't put all of the pressure on Randle on the inside, and he can learn some stuff about interior defense from Hibbert... It's a one year deal, so it doesn't ruin their goals in 2016

IndyRealist
07-04-2015, 05:38 PM
Pacers awfully confident in Turner, or just ready to rebuild?

SportsFanatic10
07-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Pacers awfully confident in Turner, or just ready to rebuild?

They want to play smaller and faster tempo from what I've heard.

JNA17
07-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Jared Zwerling ✔@JaredZwerling
Hearing the Lakers-Pacers deal is done involving Roy Hibbert. Just a matter of the assets involved now.

Heck yes! :clap:

I hope we get a first rounder too. 0_0

AllBall
07-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Like I said in the other Laker thread, I like this move

IndyRealist
07-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Really doubt a 1st is going in either direction. Lakers probably send back a 2nd.

GREATNESS ONE
07-04-2015, 05:50 PM
Let's see it all play out here but damn we needed a big man desperately.

RLundi
07-04-2015, 05:51 PM

I hope we get a first rounder too. 0_0

Haha yeah I doubt it. Unless LA is sending back a player even remotely significant, they won't sniff a first.

Hibbert
Randle
Kobe
Russell
Clarkson

Not bad. They need to shore up the bench but this is not a terrible start to respectability. Still probably a very low seed though in the mighty west.

Sactown
07-04-2015, 05:52 PM

I hope we get a first rounder too.
0_0
He ain't even stretch doe!

JNA17
07-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Haha yeah I doubt it. Unless LA is sending back a player even remotely significant, they won't sniff a first.

I think it's possible. :shrug:

We got Lin and a first rounder for nothing last year. And the Pacers really want Hibbert gone.

If it involves a player, my guess is either a sign and trade with Jordan Hill or Nick Young.

JNA17
07-04-2015, 05:59 PM
He ain't even stretch doe!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEE!

Heh. :P

jerellh528
07-04-2015, 05:59 PM

Hibbert
Randle
Kobe
Russell
Clarkson

Not bad. They need to shore up the bench but this is not a terrible start to respectability. Still probably a very low seed though in the mighty west.

I would put clarkson at the 2 and have Russell as the lead guard. He's so much better at passing and vision, but I agree. I hope this trade goes thru

LakerShow
07-04-2015, 06:00 PM
Good move, we should get some picks as well.

Aust
07-04-2015, 06:00 PM
Sweet.

JNA17
07-04-2015, 06:07 PM
Mike Ortiz Jr.
‏@xOrtiz4x
Word is Lakers will be sending Ater Majok, their unsigned draft pick when they're legally able to trade him in exchange for Hibbert

That's fine by me. :)

Zefflin
07-04-2015, 06:11 PM
That's fine by me. :)

Hell yeah dude, we're back on track here. I called this a week ago.

FOXHOUND
07-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Teams usually use draft picks to dump contracts, really wouldn't be surprising at all to see a 1st going the Lakers way on top of it. A protected first, of course, but pretty standard practice.

Aust
07-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Bobby Marks ‏@BobbyMarks42 6m

Hibbert gets a 2.3m bonus that drops LAL room to about 4.7m. Indiana will pay Hibbert the 2.3m

Good to pair Randle w/Hib

mbsalame123
07-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Teams usually use draft picks to dump contracts, really wouldn't be surprising at all to see a 1st going the Lakers way on top of it. A protected first, of course, but pretty standard practice.

Yeah I think the Lakers will get a draft pick too! But wow the lakers have some good potential for the future. They still have around $7 million available to sign another wing and probably another big man. I think Gerald Green is a possibility. Wouldn't be surprised to see Jordan Hill back (although expensive) or Kosta Koufos get signed. I think Wayne Ellington gets resigned as well and possibly Ronnie Price after having a decent season. Expect Nick Young to get traded to a team that needs scoring.

JNA17
07-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Good to pair Randle w/Hib

We can also use the rest of the cap space to sign Cory Joseph since we really need a backup point guard.

Heck yes! So happy for this! :clap:

Aust
07-04-2015, 06:23 PM
We can also use the rest of the cap space to sign Cory Joseph since we really need a backup point guard.

Heck yes! So happy for this! :clap:

I'd rather have him than Ellington. Don't need another SG, need a PG.

JNA17
07-04-2015, 06:28 PM
I'd rather have him than Ellington. Don't need another SG, need a PG.

Hell yeah.

I doubt any of the lakers scrubs of last year are coming back. If we get Cory Joseph, we will be fine with Anthony Brown, Larry Nance, Tarik Black, Robert Upshaw, Nick Young as the backups.

Lakers aside from Kobe are probably the youngest team in the league but I love it. :laugh2:

Although I could be wrong, Magic team is pretty young team. Don't know the exact ages.

Stunner
07-04-2015, 06:34 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Yahoo Sources: Pacers finalizing terms on a trade to send center Roy Hibbert to the Lakers. Hibbert's been informed he's headed to Lakers.

jsthornton7
07-04-2015, 06:38 PM
I'd be very disappointed if LAL doesn't get a pick back in return.

JNA17
07-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Francisco X. Rivera ‏@FX_Rivera 52s53 seconds ago

Roy Hibbert is 3rd among active players in blocks per game (1.9), behind Ibaka (2.6) & Howard (2.1). #Lakers ranked 22nd in bpg last season

Definitely fits the need for sure. :clap:

DillyDill
07-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Yeah I think the Lakers will get a draft pick too! But wow the lakers have some good potential for the future. They still have around $7 million available to sign another wing and probably another big man. I think Gerald Green is a possibility. Wouldn't be surprised to see Jordan Hill back (although expensive) or Kosta Koufos get signed. I think Wayne Ellington gets resigned as well and possibly Ronnie Price after having a decent season. Expect Nick Young to get traded to a team that needs scoring.
Hell yea huge fan of Gerald would love him

jsthornton7
07-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Disappointed...

@WojYahooNBA: Lakers take Hibbert's $15.5M salary into space, likely send combo of 2nd round pick(s) and overseas players rights. @JeffZillgitt first.

TylerSL
07-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Good move by the Lakers, he's not a star but definitely an upgrade. D'Angelo Russell, Julius Randle, and Roy Hibbert gives Kobe at least something to work with. IMO they should try to bring both Lin and Boozer back as well. I'm not sure they can make the playoffs, but they could finish around .500 if they stay healthy IMO.

PG. Russell/Lin
SG. Kobe/Clarkson
SF. Young/Kelly
PF. Randle/Boozer
C. Hibbert/Sacre

Not great, but much better and with Russell as the face of the franchise the Lakers look to be on the upswing.

Stunner
07-04-2015, 06:44 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Lakers take Hibbert's $15.5M salary into space, likely send combo of 2nd round pick(s) and overseas players rights. @JeffZillgitt first.

Blitzace137
07-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Good move by the Lakers, he's not a star but definitely an upgrade. D'Angelo Russell, Julius Randle, and Roy Hibbert gives Kobe at least something to work with. IMO they should try to bring both Lin and Boozer back as well. I'm not sure they can make the playoffs, but they could finish around .500 if they stay healthy IMO.

PG. Russell/Lin
SG. Kobe/Clarkson
SF. Young/Kelly
PF. Randle/Boozer
C. Hibbert/Sacre

Not great, but much better and with Russell as the face of the franchise the Lakers look to be on the upswing.

Lin's not going back to play for Byron Scott.

Blitzace137
07-04-2015, 06:45 PM
It's a decent deal since the Lakers are sending picks the Pacers way.

JNA17
07-04-2015, 06:46 PM

PG. Russell/Lin
SG. Kobe/Clarkson
SF. Young/Kelly
PF. Randle/Boozer
C. Hibbert/Sacre

You got the bench totally wrong. Like, very wrong. None of those guys are coming back except for the Sacre and Kelly, and neither are getting much if any playing time.

Bench is this:

Anthony Brown, Tarik Black, Larry Nance Jr, Robert Upshaw (assuming we sign him after summer league), Nick Young, and maybe Jabari Brown.

And Russell and Clarkson are starting together.

Backup point guard unknown at the moment. Lin ain't coming back. He's most likely going to the Mavs.

AllBall
07-04-2015, 06:47 PM
Disappointed...

That's a fair trade if I've ever seen one. Both teams in a bad spot and no one is benefiting more than the other, but are benefiting equally from the trade.

HunterNRoss
07-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3m3 minutes ago
Lakers angling to preserve as much salary cap space as possible -- and bring on HIbbert in the deal. Sides believe it'll get worked out.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 4m4 minutes ago
Trade kicker is $2.3M bonus Pacers pay Hibbert -- but impacts Lakers salary cap. No deal can be completed until July 9. Time to complete it.

MickeyMgl
07-04-2015, 07:18 PM
:hope: Please include Nick Young :hope: Please include Nick Young :hope:

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-04-2015, 07:21 PM
I understand us not getting anything besides Hibbert. Houston tried to get Lin away as fast as they could because they thought they were going to get Bosh. That's why they gave us a first. The Pacers just want to save the money and they are not under any time constraints to do so. Good deal for both sides.

Legitimate
07-04-2015, 07:34 PM
You got the bench totally wrong. Like, very wrong. None of those guys are coming back except for the Sacre and Kelly, and neither are getting much if any playing time.

Bench is this:

Anthony Brown, Tarik Black, Larry Nance Jr, Robert Upshaw (assuming we sign him after summer league), Nick Young, and maybe Jabari Brown.

Backup point guard unknown at the moment. Lin ain't coming back. He's most likely going to the Mavs.

who are these guys? lol.....

Teeboy1487
07-04-2015, 07:35 PM
I understand us not getting anything besides Hibbert. Houston tried to get Lin away as fast as they could because they thought they were going to get Bosh. That's why they gave us a first. The Pacers just want to save the money and they are not under any time constraints to do so. Good deal for both sides. Very fair trade. Lakers needed a Center and Pacers needed to dump him especially with how well Myles Turner looked today. Man, Turner is going to be a stud. I'm not too high or too low on this deal. Solid Trade imo.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-04-2015, 07:41 PM
3 of them are rookies that were drafted this year. Black was on the Rockets last year but was released once they got Smith.

Out of all of them I'm most excited about Upshaw. Draft guys were saying he's a top 10 talent but hes a head case. I'm thinking Whiteside. He was released from Washington last year but as soon as they released him their defense went to crap. The dude looks like a defensive monster.

MickeyMgl
07-04-2015, 07:41 PM

Hibbert
Randle
Kobe
Russell
Clarkson

Still probably about 15-16 wins from the very lowest seed in the West.

Jamiecballer
07-04-2015, 07:46 PM
Kobe will have this guy crying before he gets off the plane.

JNA17
07-04-2015, 07:49 PM

I don't feel like explaining to people that don't watch many NBA games or the draft this year but short story:

Tarik Black: C/PF or vice versa. Played a lot in the second half season with the Lakers and started, 1st half being with the Rockets as a rookie. Did well, especially with Clarkson. Should have been 2nd all rookie team but all well.

Anthony Brown: SF, Lakers 34th pick this year. Good shooter. Supposedly a "sniper" from long range.

Larry Nance Jr: PF/SF. Lakers 27th pick from Wyoming. Versatile, athletic with a lot of hops. Below average outside shooter though. Hope he gets better at it.

Robert Upshaw: C. Went undrafted. Was ranked a mid-late first round pick, talent and skills wise, 3rd best center in the draft. Some post moves but GREAT rim protector. However, his background issues such as getting kicked out of two schools really dropped his stock and not drafted. Supposedly he has humbled up and prove it in Summer League with the Lakers. Basically if he pans out, our Hassan Whiteside. (with different circumstances of course)

There ya go. If you have any more questions about them, I'll be on later tomorrow. :D

zn23
07-04-2015, 08:01 PM
Honestly never thought I'd see the day where the Lakers became the biggest joke in the NBA.

JNA17
07-04-2015, 08:04 PM
Honestly never thought I'd see the day where the Lakers became the biggest joke in the NBA.

You misspelled the Nets.

(no offense Nets fans :p)

Legitimate
07-04-2015, 08:08 PM
I don't feel like explaining to people that don't watch many NBA games or the draft this year but short story:

Tarik Black: C/PF or vice versa. Played a lot in the second half season with the Lakers and started, 1st half being with the Rockets as a rookie. Did well, especially with Clarkson. Should have been 2nd all rookie team but all well.

Anthony Brown: SF, Lakers 34th pick this year. Good shooter. Supposedly a "sniper" from long range.

Larry Nance Jr: PF/SF. Lakers 27th pick from Wyoming. Versatile, athletic with a lot of hops. Below average outside shooter though. Hope he gets better at it.

Robert Upshaw: C. Went undrafted. Was ranked a mid-late first round pick, talent and skills wise, 3rd best center in the draft. Some post moves but GREAT rim protector. However, his background issues such as getting kicked out of two schools really dropped his stock and not drafted. Supposedly he has humbled up and prove it in Summer League with the Lakers. Basically if he pans out, our Hassan Whiteside. (with different circumstances of course)

There ya go. If you have any more questions about them, I'll be on later tomorrow. :D

fair enough, atleast lakers aren't like the knicks with no draft pick. some foundation to build off of just hope kobe doesn't rub off on them the wrong way :P

Scoots
07-04-2015, 08:10 PM

Not likely on a 1 year deal when everybody knows the Lakers are near desperate for a C with a name.

JNA17
07-04-2015, 08:11 PM
fair enough, atleast lakers aren't like the knicks with no draft pick. some foundation to build off of just hope kobe doesn't rub off on them the wrong way :P

That's pretty much the point.

We won't win anything next season, no matter who we signed, but as it stands, we got a pretty nice young core foundation going. So I'm pretty damn excited. :D

valade16
07-04-2015, 08:42 PM

PG. Russell/Lin
SG. Kobe/Clarkson
SF. Young/Kelly
PF. Randle/Boozer
C. Hibbert/Sacre

In the West? Not a chance they go .500

TylerSL
07-04-2015, 08:54 PM

Bench is this:

Yeah, I would rather go with what I had.

TylerSL
07-04-2015, 09:03 PM
In the West? Not a chance they go .500

That team in my quote could win 35-40 games, hence my "around .500" statement.

Scoots
07-04-2015, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I would rather go with what I had.

I think Russell/Clarkson starting back court is official with Kobe at 3.

Sadds The Gr8
07-04-2015, 10:45 PM
2 rookies, aging Kobe, and Nick young starting? I doubt it. Maybe if they had a good coach they would.

More-Than-Most
07-04-2015, 10:48 PM
how the **** is this a good move? does anybody not understand how trash hibbert is? Not overpaying for monroe is a good move... not taking oka over russell is a great move.... getting hibbert as a consolation prize is a terrible move for this lakers team.

I love that they did this and lose out on all bigs... sixers getting that lottery pick next year... The lakers are about a 20-30 win team at best. really good looking future though in terms of russ/clarkson and their big.

More-Than-Most
07-04-2015, 10:50 PM
Disappointed...

lol wtf... you guys are giving **** up and taking the salary dump? come on really?

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Honestly never thought I'd see the day where the Lakers became the biggest joke in the NBA.We're not, there are plenty of teams in a worse spot, and this is rock bottom for the lakers. In 5 years from now when the lakers are celebrating their 17th ship we'll laugh at this situation.. I know haters like you and FC are hoping for the downfall of the lakers, but we'll be back ruling the NBA before you know it. this is how our city does it.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-04-2015, 10:55 PM
how the **** is this a good move? does anybody not understand how trash hibbert is? Not overpaying for monroe is a good move... not taking oka over russell is a great move.... getting hibbert as a consolation prize is a terrible move for this lakers team.

I love that they did this and lose out on all bigs... sixers getting that lottery pick next year... The lakers are about a 20-30 win team at best.

Plz don't be sour about us getting Dlo

KnicksorBust
07-04-2015, 11:01 PM
Great fit if he agrees to wear goggles.

Tony_Starks
07-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Hibbert for nothing? Yes sir! Most definitely what we needed, paint protection. Gotta shore up the bench but I'm not mad at this move at all. Its been a layup drill the last few years.

Wow we are actually going to have a legit PG and Center? Don't think I've seen this since Nick and Vlade!

Jamiecballer
07-04-2015, 11:17 PM
More like 25. That team blows.

Tony_Starks
07-04-2015, 11:23 PM

I love that they did this and lose out on all bigs... sixers getting that lottery pick next year... The lakers are about a 20-30 win team at best. really good looking future though in terms of russ/clarkson and their big.

The post is like bitter beer face....

More-Than-Most
07-04-2015, 11:24 PM

why would i be sour? i thought it was the perfect move while you on the other hand wanted no part of him because of how amazing oka is... your tune quickly changed once the team you cheer for didnt take the hyped up player you thought they were gonna take.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-04-2015, 11:56 PM

why would i be sour? i thought it was the perfect move while you on the other hand wanted no part of him because of how amazing oka is... your tune quickly changed once the team you cheer for didnt take the hyped up player you thought they were gonna take.

Actually I thought Dlo was the gamble player with much more upside. Oka is a player in which you know you're getting, I just hope Dlo becomes the man you and many other think he's going to be. Don't try and downplay him just because you know he's a laker.

More-Than-Most
07-05-2015, 12:01 AM
Actually I thought Dlo was the gamble player with much more upside. Oka is a player in which you know you're getting, I just hope Dlo becomes the man you and many other think he's going to be. Don't try and downplay him just because you know he's a laker.

lmfao you had him hall of fame bound before he even played 1 minute.

Cal827
07-05-2015, 12:10 AM

It'll be another big man :laugh2:

Dade County
07-05-2015, 12:10 AM
The Lakers are trying, but I feel that they should have just maybe tried playing small ball, until they got the big man they wanted.

It just seems like they have no vision, it seems like everything they tried to pull off just epically failed. They could use Roy as a trade piece later on in the season though.

Russell/ ?
Clarkson/ Young
Kobe/ ?
David Lee (they should trade for him)/ Randle
Roy/ ?

More-Than-Most
07-05-2015, 12:12 AM

If its the best available i hope so :shrug: esp if the draft isnt deep

Dade County
07-05-2015, 12:15 AM
If its the best available i hope so :shrug: esp if the draft isnt

deep

:laugh2: :layup:

More-Than-Most
07-05-2015, 12:18 AM
i actually think the lakers would be better without hibbert after thinking about it.... they could play uptempo with a squard of clarkson/kobe/russ/Randle... No way they can play that way with hibbert on the floor.

Supreme LA
07-05-2015, 01:11 AM
i actually think the lakers would be better without hibbert after thinking about it.... they could play uptempo with a squard of clarkson/kobe/russ/Randle... No way they can play that way with hibbert on the floor.

Well there's no way Lakers play uptempo with Kobe on the floor either. An uptempo game sure would be nice for the young guys. Hibbert will help Kobe and vice versa.

I don't really have any feelings about the trade. I was content with developing our young guys and being patient. I guess Jim Buss understands he only has two years left to live up to his promise so he's doing what he can now since he missed out on every other FA.

Tony_Starks
07-05-2015, 01:43 AM

You're right, Lakers are crazy taking one of the few legit centers in the league for basically nothing.

We'd be much better off going with Robert Sacre.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-05-2015, 01:44 AM

You are saltyyyyyy about our draft pic I see.

Legitimate
07-05-2015, 02:02 AM
You are saltyyyyyy about our draft pic I see.

:shrug: ny fans are always salty

beasted86
07-05-2015, 02:10 AM
Hibbert sucks sooooo bad.

I expect him to mentally crumble playing with Kobe.

Blitzace137
07-05-2015, 02:28 AM
:shrug: ny fans are always salty

He's a Philly fan genius

meloman1592
07-05-2015, 02:34 AM
He's a Philly fan genius

Don't waste your time

More-Than-Most
07-05-2015, 03:30 AM
You're right, Lakers are crazy taking one of the few legit centers in the league for basically nothing.

Hibbert is now a legit center???????????? omg ahahahaha

OKA was a hall of famer without playing a game until you guys drafted Russ who you all a sudden all you guys wanted all along.

Cousins is soft and all this crap on down the list but Hibbert is a true center and a good fit??? Honestly out side of like a handful of laker fans do you guys hear yourselves?

slashsnake
07-05-2015, 03:59 AM

When life trades you lemons... make Lemonade.

The ONLY reason they are taking him is because they only have to have him for one year. And the only reason they won't need to give anything back is he is arguably on the most overpaid contract in the NBA and is of zero value to anyone else at that cost. He's the consolation prize for losing free agency.

Sure there aren't many legit centers, but only one (Dwight) made more than him heading into this off-season. 16 mil for 10 and 7 and a declining interior defensive presence, 45% shooting and questionable mental toughness. That's something.

Lakers needed a big and something to give their fans after missing out on LMA, Jordan, Monroe, and Lopez. So here they can say "hey we did what we could and at least we got something for now" to appease the fans for a year, and next year have piles of cap room and hope to get something else and try again.

But I don't think anyone here can truly say that this was one of their hopes for the off-season. To finally be able to outright sign any free agent in a great year for bigs, with the draw of LA, and they get Hibbert instead.

No offense meant to Laker fans. I was really really hoping they would be able to do something to give Kobe a real chance to compete and maybe get in the playoffs one last time. Not a Laker hater at all. But this is the throw in the towel on the off-season move. I really think their off-season was hinged on get a perimeter guy in the draft to develop and this free agency has some great bigs, so get one of them there to carry the torch. And looking at next years class I wonder if they wouldn't have gotten Okafor instead in the draft had they known they would whiff on a big looking at next years class.

Now next year its the 1-3's like Conley, Durant, and Batum, CP3, Derozan, Parsons, ... Sure Noah and Horford are out there, but those are the 30+ year olds with a little bit of injury history and look to be on the decline. Dwight is a no.. Nothing like LMA or Deandre.

MickeyMgl
07-05-2015, 05:26 AM

Who knows? It could happen one day. Everybody else has had a turn.

PurpleLynch
07-05-2015, 06:18 AM
I don't like this trade,but at least we get a decent rim protector(not bad considering Randle's average defense). On offense he's garbage,he's slow and he's not a good rebounder for his size.I just hope our young core will develop a nice chemistry,that's all.

rocketfuel
07-05-2015, 06:51 AM
Not sure what the Lakers plan is.... Probably better off tanking for one more year and get one more franchise piece...and try to get some superstars to compete with the Spurs and Warriors (Cleveland out East). The West is so loaded with super teams... even if you build a good team, it's not enough...it's got to be one of these amazing rosters. The Spurs have a dream roster.

Tony_Starks
07-05-2015, 11:55 AM

Hibbert is now a legit center???????????? omg ahahahaha

OKA was a hall of famer without playing a game until you guys drafted Russ who you all a sudden all you guys wanted all along.

Cousins is soft and all this crap on down the list but Hibbert is a true center and a good fit??? Honestly out side of like a handful of laker fans do you guys hear yourselves?

Really not sure what the hell you're talking about with OKA, Russ, and Boogie?

Anyways yes Hibbert is a legit Center. A 7 footer, a shot blocker, a player that is only a couple years removed from being talked about as one of the best up and coming Bigs in the game. He bombed out in Indy but he's still young.

Would I give him a big deal ? No. Would I take a flyer on him to see if he can get his game back with a change of scenery? Of course, Im not giving up anything.

If you weren't so blind with Laker hate you'd see this is high reward, low risk. They have nothing to lose by renting him for a season.

KobeOwnSU
07-05-2015, 01:08 PM
At the very least Hibbert can take the pressure off the guards to be perfect on the defensive end. Also, his talents look to mesh well with Randle's. I think they will play well off each other.

Scoots
07-05-2015, 01:18 PM
I'm a Laker hater and wish them nothing but ill will ... that said, Hibbert is a good pick up for them.

5ass
07-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Who cares how much money he's making. Its just for one year. Lakers had a bad offseason, they're desperate to make their team better. Not a bad move at all. They should resign Hill to an Amir Johnson like contract. Also look for a wing.

beasted86
07-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Seriously though....

Over or under 30 games before Hibbert has a mental breakdown from playing with Kobe and he's seen in the Lakers practice facility with a half afro and half braids with the other side of his head shaved and he stops taking showers and becomes one with Mother Nature?

Am I the only one who thinks Hibbert is that mentally fragile and sees this as a train wreck waiting to happen?

beasted86
07-05-2015, 01:53 PM
I can just picture it now.

Hibbert zoned out it the locker room to the O'Jays "Who am I?" (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7xIFVEih5w4) with a single tear falling down his left cheek.

mngopher35
07-05-2015, 02:13 PM
I think this makes sense from their standpoint after missin out in fa. Hibbert still has some value as a player and is on his final year, appears like a decent match with randles skills.

On the other hand he might be just good enough to keep them from bottom 3 range but still low in the lottery. Not saying they for sure keep their pick either way but it seems like they have a chance. I just wish the clippers would have gotten him since I think he could have helped there.

JAZZNC
07-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Seriously though....

Over or under 30 games before Hibbert has a mental breakdown from playing with Kobe and he's seen in the Lakers practice facility with a half afro and half braids with the other side of his head shaved and he stops taking showers and becomes one with Mother Nature?

Am I the only one who thinks Hibbert is that mentally fragile and sees this as a train wreck waiting to happen?
I feel exactly the same way. Hibbert is a complete *****. If Howard couldn't handle it Hibbert damn sure wont. And Hibbert isn't good, he just can't play. Don't know why anyone thinks this is gonna work out. On paper maybe but when you factor in attitude, chemistry, and pussiness it is just not a good move for anybody but the Pacers.

lakerfan85
07-05-2015, 02:41 PM
I feel exactly the same way. Hibbert is a complete *****. If Howard couldn't handle it Hibbert damn sure wont. And Hibbert isn't good, he just can't play. Don't know why anyone thinks this is gonna work out. On paper maybe but when you factor in attitude, chemistry, and pussiness it is just not a good move for anybody but the Pacers.

Yeah but there's one difference.. That Laker team was expected to compete for a championship.. This team is not..

Scoots
07-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Yeah but there's one difference.. That Laker team was expected to compete for a championship.. This team is not..

This. People seem to think that Lakers fans thinking Hibbert is a good pickup is the same thing as thinking Hibbert is the last piece in a championship run. It's a 1 year rental/tryout with essentially no long term cost.

JAZZNC
07-05-2015, 03:03 PM
I fully understand that. But does anybody think that Kobe will act any differently or change his ways because of that? If you do you are kidding yourself. This will not go well.

beasted86
07-05-2015, 03:12 PM
^Exactly.... try telling Kobe that the Lakers are rebuilding this year.

He's going to be on Hibbert like syrup on pancakes about his lack of rebounds and finishing around the basket. And he will be much harder on Hibbert than Randle and Russell because he's a veteran who's supposed to be playoff tested.

jerellh528
07-05-2015, 03:16 PM
Still offers elite rim protection, which is exactly what the young guys will need to help their defensive growing pains. Not expecting Hakeem 2.0, but if he can play 28-33 mpg, play defense, protect the rim and grab a few rebounds, it will help. Plus playing with Russell should give him a few easy looks per game. Hibbert needed a change of scenery bad. He should now have a concrete role to fill on a team, and lakers won't need to depend on him for offense.

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/

Scoots
07-05-2015, 04:01 PM
I fully understand that. But does anybody think that Kobe will act any differently or change his ways because of that? If you do you are kidding yourself. This will not go well.

So what? Who cares? The Lakers are going nowhere this year and Kobe is going away after that. For the first time in a LONG time, Kobe really is an afterthought.

rocketfuel
07-05-2015, 06:41 PM
What the Lakers don't want to do is be good enough to finish 9th or 10th, enough to get a low pick....if you're going to have a bad year, have a really bad year and try to get those top picks. Only the Spurs seem to be good at consistently getting those gems with low rounds, overseas players and reclamation projects.

bluefire7002
07-05-2015, 06:47 PM
What the Lakers don't want to do is be good enough to finish 9th or 10th, enough to get a low pick....if you're going to have a bad year, have a really bad year and try to get those top picks. Only the Spurs seem to be good at consistently getting those gems with low rounds, overseas players and reclamation projects.

It's not worth tanking the whole season if you can only keep your pick if its top 3... Look what happened to the Knicks. That would be the worst waste of season if the same thing were to happen to the Lakers next year. At least be somewhat competitive so you catch the FAs attention.

Bruno
07-05-2015, 07:08 PM
the Lakers aren't going to get a top three lottery pick. even last years joke of a team finished with the 4th worst odds. even without hibbert, this team would be bottom five at worst. might as well improve the team w elite rim protection and start developing a winning environment. rebuilding through the draft is over for the Lakers in this period. they got Russell, Randle, and Clarkson which is good enough of a young core going forward.

rocketfuel
07-05-2015, 07:41 PM
The West just looks so tough....I feel like they need to be armed with superstars to compete.

G_S_W
07-06-2015, 11:59 AM
From LMA and/or DJ to Hibbert and Sacre. That's quite a dropoff.

G_S_W
07-06-2015, 12:10 PM
The Lakers' front office and management don't seem to have a realistic idea of how to sell their team to free agents. A prime free agent like LMA can get his money anywhere. He wants to win. He's not interesting in making terrible movies, or getting an extra commercial with mountain dew.

These guys are already making $20 million a year. They want to compete for championships and they want to be part of a quality franchise.

The Busses seem to think that reports of warm weather, palm trees, pretty girls and doing tv commercials while playing for a 20 win team will somehow magically win the top free agents over.

The Lakers, with the feuding and very inexerpienced Busses, are not in a great situation. They are a house divided, and Jeannie is already awaiting the "retirement" of Jim Buss.

I really don't see the Lakers competing effectively against the front offices of GSW, the Spurs, the Rockets or even OKC. They don't have a superstar or good coach like the Pels. They don't have two superstars like the Clips.

Tough times for Lakers fans, but I like their optimism in spite of it all.

Somehow, the buss siblings have got to learn to work together, gain a ton of experience very quickly, or at least learn how to delegate properly for the Lakers org. to get back on track.

JAZZNC
07-06-2015, 12:13 PM
So what? Who cares? The Lakers are going nowhere this year and Kobe is going away after that. For the first time in a LONG time, Kobe really is an afterthought.

Then why even make the move at all?
Why spend all that money?
I mean I don't care, I love seeing Kobe have a ****** team and struggle but people truly think this is a good move. They just wasted millions to get a mental midget that Kobe will ruin in a matter of Weeks. It's their money so they can waste it however they want, but I just don't understand it from a basketball or business perspective. It isnt good on either front.

jerellh528
07-06-2015, 12:23 PM
The Lakers' front office and management don't seem to have a realistic idea of how to sell their team to free agents. A prime free agent like LMA can get his money anywhere. He wants to win. He's not interesting in making terrible movies, or getting an extra commercial with mountain dew.

These guys are already making $20 million a year. They want to compete for championships and they want to be part of a quality franchise.

The Busses seem to think that reports of warm weather, palm trees, pretty girls and doing tv commercials while playing for a 20 win team will somehow magically win the top free agents over.

The Lakers, with the feuding and very inexerpienced Busses, are not in a great situation. They are a house divided, and Jeannie is already awaiting the "retirement" of Jim Buss.

I really don't see the Lakers competing effectively against the front offices of GSW, the Spurs, the Rockets or even OKC. They don't have a superstar or good coach like the Pels. They don't have two superstars like the Clips.

Tough times for Lakers fans, but I like their optimism in spite of it all.

They played the hand they had. What's your "realistic idea" of how to sell the team to free agents, genius? The near 40 year old Kobe, or the rookies n sophomores? lakers aren't in a position to compete for a title. All things considered, I think they're putting together a decent roster after losing out on those two. I don't get your post though, you're talking about how they lakers suck at pitching because they emphasized Los Angeles' perks instead of our roster, but then say we have a crappy 20 team roster?

jerellh528
07-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Then why even make the move at all?
Why spend all that money?
I mean I don't care, I love seeing Kobe have a ****** team and struggle but people truly think this is a good move. They just wasted millions to get a mental midget that Kobe will ruin in a matter of Weeks. It's their money so they can waste it however they want, but I just don't understand it from a basketball or business perspective. It isnt good on either front.

You don't understand how Hibbert is a big name(business perspective) and better than Robert sacre(basketball perspective)?

IndyRealist
07-06-2015, 12:36 PM
So....this is what it's like to be a fan of a big market team.....

jerellh528
07-06-2015, 12:43 PM

Yup, every move you make is scrutinized by every other fan base, most of which have consistently sucked for years. It's worse for the lakers because we're a big market and one of the most successful sports franchises of all time. Comes with the territory that there will be plenty of haters.

Tony_Starks
07-06-2015, 12:52 PM

Yep. Whoever comes to our team is either washed up, overrated, or is about to have the worst season of their career. Regardless of age, even goes for rookies as well.

Hawkeye15
07-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Hibbert is sooooo bad offensively, but maybe in the faster west on a more offense oriented team he will get some easier looks. Really he is just rim protection at this point.

Not a great trade for the Lakers, but it is a good one. I like the pairing next to Randle for a few years at least.

Hawkeye15
07-06-2015, 01:20 PM
I think this makes sense from their standpoint after missin out in fa. Hibbert still has some value as a player and is on his final year, appears like a decent match with randles skills.

On the other hand he might be just good enough to keep them from bottom 3 range but still low in the lottery. Not saying they for sure keep their pick either way but it seems like they have a chance. I just wish the clippers would have gotten him since I think he could have helped there.

kinda my thoughts as well. A young team will be SO bad defensively, he at least helps in that regard while they get a year under their belts.

Burkey3472
07-06-2015, 01:23 PM
The Lakers are doing the best they can with the hand that was dealt to them. I think it was unrealistic to net a big name(s) like LA or Love just because they have young and almost unproven assets surrounding an aging Kobe. They are doing the next best thing in getting B-C level talent like Williams, Bass, Hibbert to make a competitive team. Now, I still think they are around the 10th seed or so in the West but it's far from the train wreck they were last season. If those young players develop quickly, they will be able to get a big FA but until then they are going to have to go this route.

Hawkeye15
07-06-2015, 01:30 PM
The Lakers are doing the best they can with the hand that was dealt to them. I think it was unrealistic to net a big name(s) like LA or Love just because they have young and almost unproven assets surrounding an aging Kobe. They are doing the next best thing in getting B-C level talent like Williams, Bass, Hibbert to make a competitive team. Now, I still think they are around the 10th seed or so in the West but it's far from the train wreck they were last season. If those young players develop quickly, they will be able to get a big FA but until then they are going to have to go this route.

Yeah, the more I think of it, Hibbert only has one more year. They missed on every big FA this year, Hibbert does nothing to hurt their attempt to get back into the FA market next summer.

They wouldn't be bad enough (without another lucky jump) to keep their pick, may as well and try and win some games to get the culture moving back in the right direction.

Plus, I can't see the Lakers ever being involved in a long term tank job to rebuild. Doesn't suit them...

Hawkeye15
07-06-2015, 01:31 PM
god how did Philly get 32,000 picks in the span of 5 years?

JAZZNC
07-06-2015, 01:43 PM
You don't understand how Hibbert is a big name(business perspective) and better than Robert sacre(basketball perspective)?
Haha, big name. That's good stuff right there! Bet yall sell a ton of Hibbert Jerseys this year!

Hibbert just flat out sucks, and pairing him with one of the biggest *******s in the game when Hibbert obviously can't handle pressure/criticism isn't going to be good from a basketball perspective.
So no, I just don't understand the move.

Tony_Starks
07-06-2015, 02:18 PM
Hibbert is sooooo bad offensively, but maybe in the faster west on a more offense oriented team he will get some easier looks. Really he is just rim protection at this point.

Not a great trade for the Lakers, but it is a good one. I like the pairing next to Randle for a few years at least.

Yeah he's actually just what the Doctor ordered defensively. We were among the worst at giving up penetration points in the paint. Even at his worst he's always been a good shot blocker/shot changer. That plus boards and setting screens will be his job, he's more than capable.

Any offense he gives will be a bonus, between Kobe and the kids we have plenty of guys that can get buckets, not to mention Lou Will and Swaggy P (if he's still around). Plus Kobe and DLO have dimes so if he doesn't have the Kwame hands he'll get blessed with a few gimme dunks every game.

Scoots
07-06-2015, 03:04 PM
Hibbert is a better scorer inside than Bogut and Bogut was good enough to win a title (though he didn't play the last 2 games of the finals because of matchups).

Bogut is TERRIBLE on anything but an oop ... but his rim protection, rebounding, being an enforcer, and passing were all critical to the success of the Warriors.

MickeyMgl
07-06-2015, 09:52 PM

They're not good enough for the playoffs, IMO, but the protection on that pick next year is too restrictive (only top 3), and they've added too many decent pieces to do anything but play the best they can and let the chips fall where they may. Trading into next year's draft without giving up any young core players would be their best option for continuing the rebuild.

MickeyMgl
07-06-2015, 09:57 PM
^Exactly.... try telling Kobe that the Lakers are rebuilding this year.

He's going to be on Hibbert like syrup on pancakes about his lack of rebounds and finishing around the basket. And he will be much harder on Hibbert than Randle and Russell because he's a veteran who's supposed to be playoff tested.

Who has Kobe done that to?

shep33
07-06-2015, 10:29 PM
I like this. One of the best rim protectors in the NBA. Doesn't kill our cap for next year. Haha, we don't need him to score.

G_S_W
07-07-2015, 02:14 AM
Hibbert is a better scorer inside than Bogut and Bogut was good enough to win a title (though he didn't play the last 2 games of the finals because of matchups).

Bogut is TERRIBLE on anything but an oop ... but his rim protection, rebounding, being an enforcer, and passing were all critical to the success of the Warriors.

Somehow, I don't see Hibbert helping the Lakers win a championship. He might help them to get to the 30 win mark, though. Then again, maybe he won't.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-07-2015, 10:37 AM
The Lakers are too young to really compete for a playoff spot regardless of finally getting a rim protector. This team will be bottom 5 in the conference again unless Russell is the next big thing in this league and even then will probably finish sub 30 wins. But I don't mind the acquisition. There is minimal risk in getting Hibbert for 1 season.

Clarkson/Lou Williams
Kobe
???
Randle/Bass
Hibbert

Do they still have guys like Hill, Ed Davis, etc? Who starts at SF? I don't know the full roster.

Regardless, that roster doesn't stand a chance in the West, but I don't think adding LMA would have made much difference so building through the draft for another year or two is the way to go. Outside of trying to sign Kevin Durant, I don't think the time is right to add a big name FA. They still need to accumulate more talent through the draft first IMO. Things are a mess in LA, but I think they dodged a bullet to be honest.

Hawkeye15
07-07-2015, 11:32 AM
The Lakers are too young to really compete for a playoff spot regardless of finally getting a rim protector. This team will be bottom 5 in the conference again unless Russell is the next big thing in this league and even then will probably finish sub 30 wins. But I don't mind the acquisition. There is minimal risk in getting Hibbert for 1 season.

Clarkson/Lou Williams
Kobe
???
Randle/Bass
Hibbert

Do they still have guys like Hill, Ed Davis, etc? Who starts at SF? I don't know the full roster.

Regardless, that roster doesn't stand a chance in the West, but I don't think adding LMA would have made much difference so building through the draft for another year or two is the way to go. Outside of trying to sign Kevin Durant, I don't think the time is right to add a big name FA. They still need to accumulate more talent through the draft first IMO. Things are a mess in LA, but I think they dodged a bullet to be honest.

oh they will still suck this upcoming year. Depending on 2 rookies (Randle is basically a rookie), a 38 year old Kobe, a 2nd year guard in Clarkson (who may have to move off the ball more or come off the bench), and Hibbert is not getting you 30 wins. But, at least they will be competitive, they were going to lose their pick next year most likely anyways. Hibbert does nothing to impact them trying to get right back into the FA market next year with plenty of money to spend. Tons actually. They can sign 2 max deals and have money for filling out the remaining roster spots.

Tony_Starks
07-07-2015, 11:42 AM

Clarkson/Lou Williams
Kobe
???
Randle/Bass
Hibbert

oh they will still suck this upcoming year. Depending on 2 rookies (Randle is basically a rookie), a 38 year old Kobe, a 2nd year guard in Clarkson (who may have to move off the ball more or come off the bench), and Hibbert is not getting you 30 wins. But, at least they will be competitive, they were going to lose their pick next year most likely anyways. Hibbert does nothing to impact them trying to get right back into the FA market next year with plenty of money to spend. Tons actually. They can sign 2 max deals and have money for filling out the remaining roster spots.

Serious question: if they damn near got 30 last year and competed with no Kobe and none of these guys how do you expect them to still not get 30 with all the additions?

I get that your Laker hate runs deep but that doesn't even make basketball common sense. You're saying Kobe, a couple lotto picks, some FAs including the 6th man of the year is actually going to make a bad team worse.

Really?

MickeyMgl
07-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Serious question: if they damn near got 30 last year and competed with no Kobe and none of these guys how do you expect them to still not get 30 with all the additions?

I get that your Laker hate runs deep but that doesn't even make basketball common sense. You're saying Kobe, a couple lotto picks, some FAs including the 6th man of the year is actually going to make a bad team worse.

Really?

21 wins is not "damn near 30". I'm expecting about 29-30 wins, so that's a significant improvement from what they actually did last year.

Hawkeye15
07-07-2015, 11:52 AM

Really?

they didn't sniff 30 wins. Kobe is actually a sub .500 player at this point, and he will eat minutes. Your defense is going to still be awful, even with Hibbert there. Rookies contribute nothing to the win column in general.

30 wins is a max out for this years Laker squad, if healthy. Just is what it is.

What do you think they will look like, win wise at the end of the year?

Btw, 30 wins is a nice improvement.

jibnmin
07-07-2015, 12:01 PM
Pacers awfully confident in Turner, or just ready to rebuild? http://healthlifeok.com/green/images/44.gifhttp://healthlifeok.com/green/images/63.gif

LA_Raiders
07-07-2015, 12:01 PM
It's gong to be a tough season. I can see them in the bottom 5, but without a top pick. Thanks Mitch

Tony_Starks
07-07-2015, 12:03 PM

Really?

they didn't sniff 30 wins. Kobe is actually a sub .500 player at this point, and he will eat minutes. Your defense is going to still be awful, even with Hibbert there. Rookies contribute nothing to the win column in general.

30 wins is a max out for this years Laker squad, if healthy. Just is what it is.

What do you think they will look like, win wise at the end of the year?

Btw, 30 wins is a nice improvement.

If healthy I'm looking at .500 basketball. The rooks are unproven true but they really have game. Hibbert is playing for a new contract, nuff said. Kobe actually has someone to legitimately carry the scoring while he rest.

All that equals .500 basketball in my book.

The only way I can buy your 30 win scenario is if you're basically assuming Kobe goes down at some point, which would actually be a fair assumption. But Kobe all year getting 30 wins? Never happen.

Vinylman
07-07-2015, 12:13 PM
21 wins is not "damn near 30". I'm expecting about 29-30 wins, so that's a significant improvement from what they actually did last year.

The answer for next year as the projected roster stands is +12 or 33 wins which isn't saying much when you factor in that they lost about 6-7 games last year due to roster manipulation (tanking) down the stretch

Tony_Starks
07-07-2015, 12:30 PM
BTW the next cast away we will be giving a new start will be Larry Sanders.

You heard it here first.

Hawkeye15
07-07-2015, 12:32 PM
If healthy I'm looking at .500 basketball. The rooks are unproven true but they really have game. Hibbert is playing for a new contract, nuff said. Kobe actually has someone to legitimately carry the scoring while he rest.

The only way I can buy your 30 win scenario is if you're basically assuming Kobe goes down at some point, which would actually be a fair assumption. But Kobe all year getting 30 wins? Never happen.

Kobe isn't even a .500 level player. He isn't. You are really just looking at the name now, not his production. He was literally a paper bag on defense, and isn't helping a team win.

Rookies don't help the win column really. They just don't historically. At best you get a replacement level player as a rookie. Hibbert still is terrible offensively, and has one skill. Protect the rim. He doesn't even rebound well.

I don't see it. 30 wins is around what I see.

Meh, don't feel like debating how many wins your team will have. I am giving you a statistical projection. Kobe aint Kobe, rookies don't contribute, Hibbert hurts you more on offense than he will help on defense with this lineup.

Guess we shall see. Bench production will be key to get near .500

Tony_Starks
07-07-2015, 12:51 PM

Kobe isn't even a .500 level player. He isn't. You are really just looking at the name now, not his production. He was literally a paper bag on defense, and isn't helping a team win.

Rookies don't help the win column really. They just don't historically. At best you get a replacement level player as a rookie. Hibbert still is terrible offensively, and has one skill. Protect the rim. He doesn't even rebound well.

I don't see it. 30 wins is around what I see.

Meh, don't feel like debating how many wins your team will have. I am giving you a statistical projection. Kobe aint Kobe, rookies don't contribute, Hibbert hurts you more on offense than he will help on defense with this lineup.

Guess we shall see. Bench production will be key to get near .500

Fair enough.

You know me, if they bomb out (aside from injury) I'll be the first to raise my hand and say you got me.

I'm of the opinion the stage is set for us to surprise a lot of experts this season if everything falls into place.

Hawkeye15
07-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Fair enough.

You know me, if they bomb out (aside from injury) I'll be the first to raise my hand and say you got me.

I'm of the opinion the stage is set for us to surprise a lot of experts this season if everything falls into place.

I might be wrong as well. Who knows

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-07-2015, 02:17 PM

Keep smoking that pipe