PDA

View Full Version : Which NBA team (past & present) has the best handles?

kovacs22
07-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Which team has the best handles? Not any one person, but the team (at least the starters) as a whole, and which era?

I put my vote to the Kings during Jason Williams and C Webb's era.

I don't think we really see a team dynamic like that today. Sure, Chris Paul lobs a lot of nice passes to Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan for a throw down, but does the rest of the team have nice handles and excellent passing? The Spurs are known for their passing game and textbook executions, but they're not really dazzling, though it won them a championship last year, but that's beside the point. Kyrie Irving is the only one on the Cavs to really showcase his handles. I'd argue that Steph Curry is the only one on his team that really stands out for his handles, too.

What other teams today or in the past are a marvel to watch for their handles? I'm sure the '90's Bulls had their moments but they don't really stand out in that arena, at least relative to the Jason Williams' Kings.

How about Tim Hardaway, Allen Iverson, Pistol Pete and their respective teams? Do you find yourself waiting for them to get the ball to earn your money, or is their team globe trotting it up and down the court?

Which teams (and their era) comes to mind to you?

Scoots
07-05-2015, 12:49 PM
The Warriors this year were notable for how many players would bring the ball up the court who COULD do that with some reliability. It was a siginificant part of the offense that Klay and Steph could be off the ball when it crossed mid court.

Curry, Thompson, Barnes, Green, Bogut, Iguodala, Livingston, and Barbosa regularly brought the ball up court.

I wouldn't say any of them had elite handles except Curry, but Green's headlong rushes bringing the ball up after a rebound sort of set a trend on the team of putting pressure on opponents.

I don't think you can lead the NBA in pace and defense without a lot of people who can handle the ball.