PDA

View Full Version : What are the Lakers doing?

1_team_1_dream
07-03-2015, 07:05 PM
lakers were supposed to go after big names nice weather. They have history. are they building with draft? IF Aldridge goes to SA what are there options? Do they have a pick next year? What does kobe do?

hugepatsfan
07-03-2015, 07:17 PM
If they strike out on all their FAs they fill their roster out and then try again next year. And if it they strike out again next year they'll try again the year after that. It's the Lakers. Eventually someone will go there, even if it might take an extra offseason or two. In the meantime, they'll keep trying to develop the young players on their roster (Clarkson, Russell, Randle most notably).

Bron > Kobe
07-03-2015, 07:22 PM
If they strike out on all their FAs they fill their roster out and then try again next year. And if it they strike out again next year they'll try again the year after that. It's the Lakers. Eventually someone will go there, even if it might take an extra offseason or two. In the meantime, they'll keep trying to develop the young players on their roster (Clarkson, Russell, Randle most notably).
This

DamnGoat
07-03-2015, 07:22 PM
I think players are always going to go for the money when they get the chance, but this year it seems like there are a lot of good teams with money to spend, so the top tier FA's are choosing them (even at a slight discount sometimes) over the Lakers or Knicks (though they did land Lopez on a solid contract), who, frankly, just aren't very good right now (and probably won't be next year either) and I'm sure the players visiting them realize that too.

Lakers + Giants
07-03-2015, 07:24 PM

This is exactly what I'm hoping for.

Vincent
07-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Kobe's contract, uncertainty, and adverse attitude towards his teammates (former and current) is hurting their recruitment efforts. I think people saw how he treated Dwight and got turned off by it.

bleedprple&gold
07-03-2015, 07:33 PM

True, but something needs to change. What's to keep them from striking out next year or the year after? They need to add some talent to make the team more enticing, especially with no pick next year.

KG2TB
07-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Guys aren't going to LA because of Kobe, IMO. It's his last year. They're just not ready to contend and have major unknowns in Russell and randle. I think Russell is going to be a stud but I'm not high on randle. Either way, they're unproven. Beyond that, clarkson is a good player, and they have an inefficient and dominating Kobe. If the young guys look good I could see them having better luck next season.

Edit: worded it bad. I don't think Kobe is a reason guys aren't going there. Just more the uncertainty of the team. I didn't mean to make it sound like Kobe was turning potential free agents off.

PhillyFaninLA
07-03-2015, 07:43 PM
The current Buss running the show is a train wreck and they won't get good with him running the show

Jamiecballer
07-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Striking the **** out

hugepatsfan
07-03-2015, 07:46 PM
True, but something needs to change. What's to keep them from striking out next year or the year after? They need to add some talent to make the team more enticing, especially with no pick next year.

I agree. "Filling out the roster" shouldn't be just placeholder scrubs. They should try and put a few pieces in place so they have an actual roster to offer free agents. It doesn't have to be stars but just role players that a FAs can see themselves playing with.

I think a guy like Kosta Koufos is an example of what I mean. He's still a young player in his prime and if you locked him up on a reasonable 2 or 3 year deal then that's a good piece to have. If you can add a few of those then the star FAs will be able to see a team they think they can take over the top.

yasharel
07-03-2015, 08:16 PM
Lakers are looking dumb because the laker mystique is dead and they should have drafted okafor anyway. Im glad they didnt though because they allowed us to snatch him. And after getting stauskas im no longer concerned with missing out on russell.

yasharel
07-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Kobe's contract, uncertainty, and adverse attitude towards his teammates (former and current) is hurting their recruitment efforts. I think people saw how he treated Dwight and got turned off by it.

the way he treated the bum named Howard? Lol kobe could have made howard a better player but howard couldn't take the heat which is why hes been a poor offensive player his entire career.

thomass
07-03-2015, 08:22 PM
Isn't it great when ny and la strike out?

Scoots
07-03-2015, 08:42 PM
The Lakers are tanking and adding talent ... the thing is they didn't think it would take a Sixers level of commitment to tanking to get where they wanted to go.

Ownership seems to be a mess.
The front office seems to be a mess.
The coaching staff seems to be a mess.
The roster seems to be a mess.

Why would anybody be surprised a veteran free agent would choose not to go there?

Free Gritz
07-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Trying to keep their top 3 protected pick for next year's draft

PraiseJesus
07-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Lakers are Dloading

https://twitter.com/Dloading

Silent
07-03-2015, 09:32 PM
Trying to keep their top 3 protected pick for next year's draft

they gonna end up with pick 4

Aidask
07-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Unfortunately, no one wants to play with Kobe.

PASS_THE_ROCK
07-03-2015, 11:54 PM
they gonna end up with pick 4

Naw Lakers are the worst team now; they are getting the 1st pick next year. #tanknation

elledaddy
07-04-2015, 12:07 AM
Just call Philly and trade Russell for OK4

desertlakeshow
07-04-2015, 12:28 AM
It seems pretty simple.

Players that want to win now are not willing to join the Lakers because they are not in shape to win now.

Players that are out for money and do not really have the talent to command great sums of money are available and willing to sign.

Lakers are not signing mediocre players with high $$$$$$$$$$$$.

naps
07-04-2015, 12:51 AM
Players don't wanna put up with Kobe. It's that simple to me. I find it hard to believe Lakers would strike out in 3 straight years. Who wouldn't wanna be in LA and play for the Lakers? Too hard to turn down. Kobe is an ******* and every player knows it.

Legitimate
07-04-2015, 01:06 AM
with all due respect to the lakers, but noone wants to play with kobe..no i'm not a laker or kobe hater, i actually bought a kobe jersey when he wore number 8 haha

yasharel
07-04-2015, 01:08 AM
Just call Philly and trade Russell for OK4

Nah were fine with okafor and our new SG stauskas with wroten and smith at point. That russell train has came and went with philly.

Tony_Starks
07-04-2015, 01:09 AM
Drugs.....mind altering drugs.

Tony_Starks
07-04-2015, 01:10 AM
Players don't wanna put up with Kobe. It's that simple to me. I find it hard to believe Lakers would strike out in 3 straight years. Who wouldn't wanna be in LA and play for the Lakers? Too hard to turn down. Kobe is an ******* and every player knows it.

Just never gets old for you does it?

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-04-2015, 01:45 AM
They have said they will only try to land the biggest fish. If they fail, they don't want to tie up their cap with B and C level players that would prevent them from landing truly trandformative players. Its a good stragety if they had all their picks and could afford to suck while developing the young players. But they don't so Im not sure why they don't go after some of the young b level players even though their current contacts are albatrosses.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-04-2015, 01:48 AM
I dont think it has anything to do with being an *******. Its more about them knowing since his achilles blew out, he sucks as a basketball player, and hes taking up all the money. Double negative. Being a big meanie is just the icing on the cake

Hawkeye15
07-04-2015, 02:13 AM

pretty much this.

Nobody should care about what is happening to the Lakers. Eventually, they ring in FA's, as usual.

Iron24th
07-04-2015, 03:45 AM
What are the Lakers doing?

Nothing.

Iron24th
07-04-2015, 03:59 AM

Great, it's the last year of Kobe, so next offseason some players will come right?

PurpleLynch
07-04-2015, 04:41 AM
Waiting for the natural conclusion of Kobe's contract and developing our picks(Clarkson,Russell and Randle).The Lakers will bring free agents when they will have cap space. And you know they will strike hard in the free agents market once Kobe will retire/take a huge paycut to chase his sixth ring and embrace hiw new role as a team player and not as the primary option(this is more like a wild dream of mine).

ldawg
07-04-2015, 07:51 AM
its mess up when your thinking tanking in the off season. what a long summer and season this gonna be? Top 3 pick? Not going to happen that pick going to 6ers dont even try. Kobe should just pack um up retire or request a trade to NY and join his buddy Melo, Phil and Fisher.

ldawg
07-04-2015, 07:56 AM
What are the Lakers doing?

Nothing.

as usual nothing. i predicted this was going to be just like last summer and it turned even worst. Not only did Pau and Melo brush them off now you have a long list af players that did.

IBleedPurple
07-04-2015, 08:38 AM

True, but something needs to change. What's to keep them from striking out next year or the year after? They need to add some talent to make the team more enticing, especially with no pick next year.What will keep them from striking out is one of the young players showing at least fringe superstar/legit star potential. Then all it takes is one big FA to be convinced. Kobe will be gone, and it's the Lakers. The rest will shortly follow. If you build it, they will come.

ldawg
07-04-2015, 09:05 AM
What will keep them from striking out is one of the young players showing at least fringe superstar/legit star potential. Then all it takes is one big FA to be convinced. Kobe will be gone, and it's the Lakers. The rest will shortly follow. If you build it, they will come.Even if those players are good you also go to think if they are better than player A or b. Now the one thing i hate you got to factor in injuries and thats always a potential, Randle and the Lakers luck of late can tell you a little about that frustration and how it can derail plans. Lakers need to sign talent or solid players sooner than later. All that waiting summer after summer mean the Lakers are now the bottom feeders in the league. What the New Lakers have in common with Cavs without Lebron? Be very careful how long you wait u can damage your brand.

superwill
07-04-2015, 09:09 AM
D'angelo is going to lead us to 5 or 6 rings and end up top ten of all time

jimm120
07-04-2015, 09:31 AM
If the Lakers can't sign a top free agent, they're going to TANK even more than they did so last year. The pick is top 3 protected in 2016 lol.

jimm120
07-04-2015, 09:35 AM
As a knicks fan, no matter how many low end picks you have, if you show that you're a horrible team the previous season, players don't want to come.

You gotta show SOME progress and some winning if you want people to believe in you.

beasted86
07-04-2015, 09:36 AM
its mess up when your thinking tanking in the off season. what a long summer and season this gonna be? Top 3 pick? Not going to happen that pick going to 6ers dont even try. Kobe should just pack um up retire or request a trade to NY and join his buddy Melo, Phil and Fisher.
Some might say this is trolling, but it's probably just the truth being more brutal than usual.

Have to agree on everything here.

beasted86
07-04-2015, 09:38 AM
As a knicks fan, no matter how many low end picks you have, if you show that you're a horrible team the previous season, players don't want to come.

You gotta show SOME progress and some winning if you want people to believe in you.

Or pray that a superstar will want to "come home" despite a dysfunctional team.

Captain Moroni
07-04-2015, 10:25 AM
This is a new generation of players. Everyone wants an instant championship. No one wants to play beside an aging over his prime superstar who is one play away from missing the year. The Lakers have some very young talent. They will not be good next year.
The Knicks are in a different boat altogether. Their star player is still in his prime. Players saw their empty roster and did not want to get stuck on a mediocre team with no one else to help win. To be honest, I think getting Aflalo Lopez and Williams was better for them than getting jordan at the max. DJ doesn't make the Knicks any better by himself. The players they got are cost controllable and can help. Not going to win a ring with them for sure.
I think the Lakers could not go this route yet. Stay the course, lose and get another big pick.

PraiseJesus
07-04-2015, 10:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iio_x1UL9rc

Aust
07-04-2015, 03:11 PM
LA is still an attractive place, but it as a location is just not as high when it comes to importance. How much they can pay you, the talent they have, how you would fit and your role, can they pair you with another great player ASAP(not next year), the cap situation, the ages of the players and how well the team has done lately are all just as if not more important. The Cavs may have finished in the lottery when Lebron returned, but they had some good pieces/assets, had cap space and were able to pair him with another great player.

If the Lakers are able to keep their first rounder(top 3), they could trade it for an established player and then sign another good player and that could make them attractive enough to sign another good player. If the young guys develop well that could help them look more attractive too.

Aust
07-04-2015, 03:12 PM
This is a new generation of players. Everyone wants an instant championship. No one wants to play beside an aging over his prime superstar who is one play away from missing the year. The Lakers have some very young talent. They will not be good next year.
The Knicks are in a different boat altogether. Their star player is still in his prime. Players saw their empty roster and did not want to get stuck on a mediocre team with no one else to help win. To be honest, I think getting Aflalo Lopez and Williams was better for them than getting jordan at the max. DJ doesn't make the Knicks any better by himself. The players they got are cost controllable and can help. Not going to win a ring with them for sure.
I think the Lakers could not go this route yet. Stay the course, lose and get another big pick.

Well said. I actually like what the Knicks did.

LakerShow
07-04-2015, 03:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iio_x1UL9rc

not a bad video you are getting better. :laugh2:

Gander13SM
07-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Players are beginning to value winning over money. Simple as that.

Teeboy1487
07-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Players are beginning to value winning over money. Simple as that.

I think this has always been the case. If the Lakers were good, FA would flock there. The Lakers have a lot of uncertainty right now. It will be a humbling time for Laker fans. We are years away from making the playoffs.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-04-2015, 04:31 PM

This

AllBall
07-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 3m3 minutes ago

ESPN sources say that the Lakers and Pacers are actively discussing a trade where L.A. would take Roy Hibbert into salary-cap space

I like this move

Ryan328
07-04-2015, 05:00 PM

ESPN sources say that the Lakers and Pacers are actively discussing a trade where L.A. would take Roy Hibbert into salary-cap space

I like this move

What do you think Indy wants back?

warfelg
07-04-2015, 05:01 PM
I think this has always been the case. If the Lakers were good, FA would flock there. The Lakers have a lot of uncertainty right now. It will be a humbling time for Laker fans. We are years away from making the playoffs.

That, and one of LA's and NY's biggest draws for the longest time was the larger market that reached far outside it's local for players to make money off the court.

But today is the digital age. No longer does the Philly fan born and raised, but working and living in Seattle Washington have to rely on ESPN highlights and boxscores to see how his team did. He can fire up his laptop, desktop, tablet, or cellphone and through subscriptions, streaming services, and the NBA, be able to livetrack his favorite team.

With twitter players can reach fans faster than ever. They no longer need the beet reporters putting in their news what the player did. They no longer need the local sports guy to show up with a camera to show off a new shot or physique.

All of that and the new CBA basically makes all markets closer to the same level. NBA FA is slowly becoming more about what is on the court, not what is off the court.

mbsalame123
07-04-2015, 05:02 PM

I like this move

I really like this as well. I think Hibbert will be a nice fit with Randle down low and Coach Scott will utilize him perfectly. The Lakers have always had a center that can post up, go to work down low and play defense and well Kobe loves that as well. If Hibbert can revitalize himself in LA then don't be surprised to see him being a long term option.

Although the Lakers failed to sign players like the Knicks, they are in a much better position than any team that failed this year due to the young talent they have in Russell, Randle and Clarkson. This year will be an improvement from last year although another season where they miss the playoffs, but this will put the Lakers in the right direction.

kyubi256
07-04-2015, 05:09 PM

Knicks had enough to get Affalo and DJ at the max. And I'd rather DJ at max than Lopez and Williams

But let's see what else they do. They still need so much help

Jamiecballer
07-04-2015, 05:09 PM
Hibbert already exhibits some issues handling pressure and distractions. I think Lakers would be wise to steer clear of this one

eddiebaby
07-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Personally I think Jerry Buss sewed the seeds of all this by being human and passing his team over to his family. The result? Players will listen to Jerry West and Pat Riley when discussing a well planned rebuild. They will not listen to Jim Buss or Jeannie Buss or Kobe. As a lifelong Laker fan, I expect that the business pressures from lost season ticket sales, from Time Warner, and from AEG (30% owner) will end with the Buss family selling - the sooner the better. Why is Jerry West building a dynasty at Golden State and Pat Riley in Miami? If you were owner, would you not delegate basketball decisions to someone who commands players' respect? Seriously, if I were an NBA star, I wouldn't want to play with Kobe and for a dysfunctional ownership, and I love what was the lakers. SELL THE TEAM to MAGIC and Guggenheim and sit back and watch how fast this turns around.

mbsalame123
07-04-2015, 05:14 PM
Knicks had enough to get Affalo and DJ at the max. And I'd rather DJ at max than Lopez and Williams

But let's see what else they do. They still need so much help

DJ did not want to go to a rebuilding team. Melo made a big mistake resigning with the Knicks but at least they have some decent players, although they overpaid for Lopez and Williams. I think the Knicks now resign Bargnani, Aldrich, Amundson, and Alexey Shved. Leaving their roster with 2 open spots I believe.

They will most likely go after another wing and then try and get another point guard like Cory Joseph.

But expect the Knicks to miss out on the playoffs again and just wait for next summer's free agency class. Hopefully Porzingis isn't a bust and can play, and I think Jerian Grant will be a steal.

mbsalame123
07-04-2015, 05:15 PM
Hibbert already exhibits some issues handling pressure and distractions. I think Lakers would be wise to steer clear of this one

This will be a good deal because it is a huge expiring contract. They will deal with him this year and if it doesn't work out then he will become a free agent next year. It allows the Lakers to fill up their roster right now and then have cap flexibility next year with Kobe and Hibbert's massive contract going off the books.

Aust
07-04-2015, 06:12 PM

I love when a fellow Laker fan has a quality realistic post. :)

DillyDill
07-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Big Royyyy

Sssmush
07-04-2015, 09:03 PM
lakers were supposed to go after big names nice weather. They have history. are they building with draft? IF Aldridge goes to SA what are there options? Do they have a pick next year? What does kobe do?

what I would say is, sign Brandon Bass and Glenn Davis. Sign Patrick Beverley if he's still available.

Look at lower tier free agents and sign defense, defense, defense.

Then next year we just take the shackles off Byron Scott and let him do his thing full on and Lakers are approximately a 7th seed as currently built.

And uh, if Kobe wants to do something awesome and make a run NOW IS THE ****ING TIME

warfelg
07-04-2015, 09:05 PM
what I would say is, sign Brandon Bass and Glenn Davis. Sign Patrick Beverley if he's still available.

Look at lower tier free agents and sign defense, defense, defense.

Then next year we just take the shackles off Byron Scott and let him do his thing full on and Lakers are approximately a 7th seed as currently built.

And uh, if Kobe wants to do something awesome and make a run NOW IS THE ****ING TIME

Beverly already resigned. He was a RFA anyways so Houston could have matched.

I agree on the defense statement though. You got 3 guys who look to be able to score in Kobe, Russell, Randle. But all three are suspect on D.

Russell
Kobe
Clarkson
Randle
Hibbert

Is certainly an interesting starting 5.

Sssmush
07-04-2015, 09:07 PM
other than that, it's possible we could trade Kobe to Phil Jackson in NY for a couple 2nd round picks or something.

But I'm actually feeling pretty good about the Lakers right now.

The talk show people are hysterical but hey they're paid to beat the drum and create an exciting story.

But in reality, it's not that bad. The Lakers young core could potentially **** all over some of the teams with these big bloated veteran heavy / ego-filled line ups. So we'll see.

I agree with Max that Lamarcus was somewhat marginal because he is 10 years older than the young core. He would've essentially been a "Kobe appeaser."

And Deandre is super great, but I don't know if anybody can remember 12 years ago but I can assure you Deandre is no Shaq. And his free throws are so ridiculous he almost revolutionized the NBA. So whatever.

We just need one of our picks or free agent big men to materialize into an Hassan Whiteside type guy (it could happen) and also select/coach defense defense defense bam

cheetos185
07-04-2015, 09:17 PM
other than that, it's possible we could trade Kobe to Phil Jackson in NY for a couple 2nd round picks or something.

But I'm actually feeling pretty good about the Lakers right now.

The talk show people are hysterical but hey they're paid to beat the drum and create an exciting story.

But in reality, it's not that bad. The Lakers young core could potentially **** all over some of the teams with these big bloated veteran heavy / ego-filled line ups. So we'll see.

I agree with Max that Lamarcus was somewhat marginal because he is 10 years older than the young core. He would've essentially been a "Kobe appeaser."

And Deandre is super great, but I don't know if anybody can remember 12 years ago but I can assure you Deandre is no Shaq. And his free throws are so ridiculous he almost revolutionized the NBA. So whatever.

We just need one of our picks or free agent big men to materialize into an Hassan Whiteside type guy (it could happen) and also select/coach defense defense defense bam
Beware trading away franchise players brings some nasty bad luck like trading away Ewing did to knicks.

Sssmush
07-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Beverly already resigned. He was a RFA anyways so Houston could have matched.

I agree on the defense statement though. You got 3 guys who look to be able to score in Kobe, Russell, Randle. But all three are suspect on D.

Russell
Kobe
Clarkson
Randle
Hibbert

Is certainly an interesting starting 5.

Yeah... Hibbert is a decent idea.

And if we got Russell and Clarkson running tandem in the backcourt... I mean Kobe weirds everything out at this point unless he is playing super good.

If Kobe is playing just marginal, or is maybe scoring but at an attrocious efficiency (see: 40 shots in a game) or trying to be a fancy "facilitator" and turning it over 10 times a game, and meanwhile everybody is deferring to him because he's "Kobe" and he's trying to set a record by not smiling once the entire season... then it is just awkward awkward awkward weird. If Kobe plays like last year Lakers probably got the worst chemistry in the NBA bar none. So all bets are off.

But if Kobe is actually playing like a normal highly efficient vet, maybe doing like a Ray Allen thing, then he could be an asset. That is a huge "if" though.

But yeah Russell / Clarkson tandem, hopefully we got a decent backup PG, if we had a young hungry surprise of a 3-and-D SF and then Randall-Ryan at PF and maybe Hibbert-Sacre-Rookie at center, and then if you through Glen Davis and Bass into the mix on a defensive mission... yes.

I've coveted the likes of Davis and Bass for sometime now. As a Laker I always notice the lack of burly nasty power forwards on the team. We have a chance to get those guys now and it will change the entire complexion of the team and feed into what Byron wants to do.

It's been kind of ridiculous, really for like 10 years, the Kobe was actually the enforcer on the team while PF/Centers like Gasol and Bynum and Odom were consistently/inconsistently wimpy. I mean how many times did Odom get dunked on? Gasol? How many times did those sluggos miss two foot layins that Big Baby Davis would've snapped the rim off on?

Seriously... let's get back to basics. All is not lost. Lakers are on the rise. And hey, at least we're not the Clippers. Yikes. First that playoff meltdown now Deandre walks for nothing. Ugggg.

Sssmush
07-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Beware trading away franchise players brings some nasty bad luck like trading away Ewing did to knicks.

*Meh* I'm not superstitious. But just for the record the Lakers traded away Shaq and won two titles not too long thereafter.

And we would only trade Kobe to the Knicks if he wanted it, and that would be a reunion with Phil Jackson, Kobe's longtime championship coach. So there is a certain symmetry to it that is feng shui. It might even work out good for the Knicks and be a kind of pivot point that gets the Knicks finally rolling to winning the East again eventually.

Because if Phil is your guy there is no greater evangelist than Kobe. So if you wanna buy in go the full distance. You're in or you're out.

Tony_Starks
07-04-2015, 11:56 PM
Lakers are salvaging the summer after another swing and miss. I'd like to see one more solid reliable vet. Like a Mo Williams or somebody. Or maybe get my boy Jennings since he can probably be had for next to nothing.

Him and Swaggy P would require a personal chaperone though, these dudes would be in some sort of club brawl in Hollywood before training camp was over!

rocketfuel
07-05-2015, 07:23 AM
There did seem to be more of a mystique when Jerry West was there...even when they had a few bad years, there was still that glamour about that team. Instead of resting on their laurels, maybe Kupchak and co. should look at what they are doing wrong in these presentations. Free Agents have been coming away unimpressed after meeting with them.... and Kobe just doesn't have the personality to attract free agents. Parsons, probably a role player at best has done a good job of talking to potential free agents. These days, stars can have anything they want and alot of them are just choosing to play with people they want to play with.....they'll forgo one extra year or reject a supposedly major franchise because they don't like the environment. The Lakers should probably try to go the lottery route one more year and get that second star to pair with Russell... by that time, they'll have a more attractive younger core.

Scoots
07-05-2015, 01:44 PM
I think the playoffs are essentially out of reach for the Lakers this year. I do think the Hibbert move is a good one, and I like the young players on the team. Kobe is likely done after this year so this year is really an audition for free agency next year for both Kobe (if he chooses to not retire) and the team.