PDA

View Full Version : Jeanie Buss: Jim will resign if we donít make WCF within two years

USMCLaker
07-03-2015, 05:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/13191079/los-angeles-lakers-team-president-jeanie-buss-says-brother-jim-resign-three-year-rebuilding-deadline-not-met

Los Angeles Lakers president Jeanie Buss has said before that the team is rebuilding under a deadline. Specifically, she has said, the Lakers need to make a deep run in the playoffs within three years or her brother Jim will step down from his post as president of basketball operations.

Asked about that deadline in a radio appearance with KPCC on Thursday, Jeanie Buss reiterated that timeline is still in place and that if the Lakers don't reach their goals by then, she's ready for change.

"[Jim] understands that we have to continue to strive for greatness, and I think he would be the first one to feel that he would need to step down if he can't get us to that point," team president Jeanie Buss said Thursday. Chris McPherson

"Yeah, absolutely," Buss said. "This is my job. I'm part-owner of the team, but I'm also the president. The Buss family is the majority owner but we have other partners as well who are also shareholders, and I have an obligation to them. Would I make those changes? Yes. My brother understands that we have to continue to strive for greatness, and I think he would be the first one to feel that he would need to step down if he can't get us to that point."

She explained the circumstances surrounding that timeline.

"Well, I asked my brother, how long until we're back into contention? And when I say 'contention,' that means past the second round, so either the Western Conference finals or the NBA Finals," she said. "And he told me that it would take three years to rebuild it. So we've just finished Year 1 of that three-year [plan]. So we have two more years until he feels that we'll be back into going past the second round in the playoffs."

How would she evaluate how her brother has fared in his role thus far?

"I think that it's been clear that for the Lakers to miss the playoffs two seasons in a row, that's never happened before," she said. "We are coming off our worst season in the history of the franchise, which is tough to swallow, because my dad [former Lakers owner Jerry Buss] set the bar so high. But my brother had asked that he be given time to put together the kind of roster. And I agree that he needs the time so that he can show people what he envisions as Laker basketball going forward. "

The Lakers finished a franchise-worst 21-61 last season after losing 55 games the season before.

Jeanie Buss said the basketball operations staff has total control over its decisions and that she has "empowered" the staff to make those decisions.

"I don't interfere in the decisions that they make regarding players," she said.

Even if she doesn't agree with those decisions, she added.

"I have to allow them to show us what they can do and what they can put together," she said. "What I feel my job is, is to make sure that they have all the tools that they need to accomplish that goal."

In the wake of the Lakers losing out on several big-name free agents who have chosen to sign with other teams, she also said she believes the Lakers brand remains strong.

"I still think if you do even the playing field and everybody is still operating with the same tools and the same resources -- given all options that players would still gravitate toward the Lakers."

Jeanie Buss, Lakers team president

"I do. I think that back when my dad bought the team in 1979, I think there was only 22 teams. Now there are 30 teams," she said. "There's more competition. There's now a more structured collective bargaining agreement with the players which has been designed to even the playing field so all 30 teams can compete for a championship. Which is great for the health of the league. I don't think the league has ever been healthier than it is now. But the rules have changed how we operate, and we have to continue to evolve as an organization so we can control our future and really put together a team that Lakers fans have come to expect."

So it's not as though the Lakers can snap their fingers and acquire any star player.

"And that's important in a league," she said. "You don't want one team to dominate."

Lakers fans might see it another way.

"Exactly," she said. "I still think if you do even the playing field and everybody is still operating with the same tools and the same resources -- given all options that players would still gravitate toward the Lakers."

She also was asked about Lakers star guard Kobe Bryant, who is entering his 20th season with the Lakers and the final year of his contract with the team.

Bryant, who will be 37 when the 2015-16 season begins, has not ruled out playing beyond his current contract with the Lakers.

"What I've made clear is only Kobe Bryant can decide when Kobe Bryant is done playing basketball," she said. "What I do want to stress is that we are celebrating his 20th year with the Lakers, which I don't think you're going to see very often.

"The idea that you stay with one team your entire career is going to change a lot as free agency continues to evolve through collective bargaining. I think this is an opportunity that we have to pay tribute to somebody that has been great for the Lakers, been great for Los Angeles. It's just a nice opportunity to celebrate Kobe Bryant. "

kobebabe
07-03-2015, 06:12 AM
He is missing out on every possible FA as it stands. She should have fired him already based on FA failures! 2 years is way too long for us to wait on his inevitable failure. This experiment has failed miserably and it's only going to get worse.

Iron24th
07-03-2015, 07:01 AM
Exactly, still two years to go???

This franchise will be into the ground in two years.

Iron24th
07-03-2015, 07:02 AM
Oh and mitch has to go with him.

PraiseJesus
07-03-2015, 07:11 AM
Everyone is being too impatient. Give Jimmy a chance here to do a proper rebuild.

Next offseason is going to be a COMPLETELY different situation when the LAkers young core of DLO, Randle, and Clarkson is proven to be really really good

Ty22Mitchell
07-03-2015, 07:28 AM
Jim has 100% of my support.

jaydubb
07-03-2015, 08:27 AM
Jim has 0% of my support.

GREATNESS ONE
07-03-2015, 08:35 AM
Championship!

LA_Raiders
07-03-2015, 09:25 AM
No need to wait. We are not making a deep run. Fire him and Mitch... And chaz

raiderposting
07-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Fire Jim, give control to magic Johnson and some analytic guys. Magic would have a much higher hit rate in FA

handle
07-03-2015, 10:41 AM
The league's dream of parity is coming true (hello, Monroe to the Bucks!). More than ever, championship teams won't be the ones with the most money, but the teams with the best, most knowledgeable, and most creative basketball minds and GMs in their front offices. I hate to break it to some of you, but we have NONE of those things, and can no longer compete with the rest of the league. The Lakers money, history, market - and in Mitch's case, blind luck - will no longer be enough to keep Mitch competitive with the rest of the league's GMs... he's finally being exposed. Sure, the Lakers might convince one or two big free agents to join.. maybe even Aldridge... but don't expect to sniff a championship EVER again - not as long as our FO stays as-is. The sooner a change is made in the FO the better... every day those two unqualified dummies have a job with the Lakers is another wasted one.

handle
07-03-2015, 10:44 AM
No need to wait. We are not making a deep run. Fire him and Mitch... And chaz

Yes. And then sell, ASAP.

bleedprple&gold
07-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Western conference finals in two years? Not happening. See ya Jim...

Vinylman
07-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Western conference finals in two years? Not happening. See ya Jim...

actually, if you read her quote he gets 3 more seasons... not 2

Aust
07-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Best news I've heard in awhile.

LakerShow
07-03-2015, 12:16 PM
one thing i worry now is, if we don't mange to win quick, he will end up getting desperate and pull off some dumb move.

bleedprple&gold
07-03-2015, 12:42 PM
actually, if you read her quote he gets 3 more seasons... not 2

So we've just finished Year 1 of that three-year [plan]. So we have two more years until he feels that we'll be back into going past the second round in the playoffs.

I took this to mean we have to be in the conference finals in the next two season.

LoveMyLakers
07-03-2015, 01:05 PM

I 100% support that Jim should resign.

LoveMyLakers
07-03-2015, 01:07 PM
one thing i worry now is, if we don't mange to win quick, he will end up getting desperate and pull off some dumb move.

He'll sign Kobe to a max deal before he resigns!

LakerShow
07-03-2015, 01:13 PM
He'll sign Kobe to a max deal before he resigns!

i think every fan would bang their head on a brick wall lol. :bang:

42-15-7
07-03-2015, 01:15 PM

Very funny, Jim.

LAdiablo
07-03-2015, 01:53 PM

exactly
and then he could have us screwed w 3-5 year contracts that would create another several years to recover
it going to be a least a decade

bleedprple&gold
07-03-2015, 02:03 PM

Very funny, Jim.

Jim get off of PSD and go sign some free agents!

DisBeAliG
07-03-2015, 04:23 PM
If Jim goes (assuming Mitch does too), then so should Jeanie. She is no more competent than her brother...only difference between them is that one wears a hat and the other wears a skirt.

Lakersfan2483
07-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Jim needs to resign today

Lakersfan2483
07-03-2015, 04:37 PM
Kupchak needs to be fired as well and bring a new GM and head of bball operations and get this situation cleaned up. Clean house!

Ty22Mitchell
07-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Jim get off of PSD and go sign some free agents!

Lmfao!

I wounder if NBA guys actually read online forums.

Big Moves03
07-03-2015, 05:45 PM
I don't have an opinion about Jim one way or the other, but this is an unrealistic goal. It took west 9 years to get back to the finals and 4 years after shaq joined the team. Contrary to what espn will tell you, the quality of play sucks now, so maybe it won't take quite as long. But we've been in rebuild mode for 2 years now. It's unlikely we'll be in the WCF in the next 2 years and trying to accomplish this is more likely to lead us to making dumb moves such as trading away and signing players we shouldn't. 4 or 5 years is at least more reasonable.

Big Moves03
07-03-2015, 05:48 PM
He is missing out on every possible FA as it stands. She should have fired him already based on FA failures! 2 years is way too long for us to wait on his inevitable failure. This experiment has failed miserably and it's only going to get worse.

You do realize that top tier free agents almost never sign with lottery teams right? Like seriously, you do realize this? I'd like one example of the last time a top tier free agent signed with a lottery team and more specifically left a playoff team to go to a lottery team. Lebron fits that category, but that's misleading cause he was going to a team that was going to be better than the team he was on. Someone, anyone give me an example of when this has happened.

It's fine to dislike the front office for some of their moves in hiring coaches and giving kobe that big contract, but the striking out in free agent thing is silly. Every gm on a really bad typically strikes out in free agency. The best you can reasonably hope for is getting a decent player from a bad team.

DanG
07-03-2015, 06:03 PM
might as well resign now.

midwestlaker75
07-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Why wait, Now is just as good of as any!

LA_Raiders
07-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Agree, why wait? Even if we get KD next year there is no way we make it to the wcf. So, save some time and fire his and Mitch *** already.

championships
07-03-2015, 10:00 PM

You do realize that top tier free agents almost never sign with lottery teams right? Like seriously, you do realize this? I'd like one example of the last time a top tier free agent signed with a lottery team and more specifically left a playoff team to go to a lottery team. Lebron fits that category, but that's misleading cause he was going to a team that was going to be better than the team he was on. Someone, anyone give me an example of when this has happened.

It's fine to dislike the front office for some of their moves in hiring coaches and giving kobe that big contract, but the striking out in free agent thing is silly. Every gm on a really bad typically strikes out in free agency. The best you can reasonably hope for is getting a decent player from a bad team.Lebron leaves a team coming off a Championship and goes to a team who just got a top lottery pick. Lol

Hey, You asked for one example :D

timebandit
07-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Why wait, Now is just as good of as any!

Exactly. ...Lakers aren't doing crap!!!! Worst meetings. ..wish they kept the Logo!!! Buss kids are killing the franchise, please sell to Magic and Company!

Vinylman
07-04-2015, 12:17 AM

It's fine to dislike the front office for some of their moves in hiring coaches and giving kobe that big contract, but the striking out in free agent thing is silly. Every gm on a really bad typically strikes out in free agency. The best you can reasonably hope for is getting a decent player from a bad team.

The irony in your post is unbelievable...

reread your first paragraph and then ask yourself what the Lakers strategy is and why it isn't working...

priceless

Big Moves03
07-04-2015, 05:17 AM
Lebron leaves a team coming off a Championship and goes to a team who just got a top lottery pick. Lol

Hey, You asked for one example :D

Yeah, but as I stated that one doesn't really count because he was going to a better team.

RoyalG333
07-04-2015, 05:25 AM
Yeah, but as I stated that one doesn't really count because he was going to a better team.

No he wasn't. Unproven Andrew wiggins, botched first pick with Anthony Bennett...the only guy there was Kyrie.

Just admit defeat. Otherwise you will start spinning more nonsense.

Big Moves03
07-04-2015, 05:32 AM
No he wasn't. Unproven Andrew wiggins, botched first pick with Anthony Bennett...the only guy there was Kyrie.

Just admit defeat. Otherwise you will start spinning more nonsense.

Yeah he was. They clearly had the love deal worked out in advance. He was going to a team of kyrie and love and a decent supporting cast, whereas miami had bosh and a wade that was well past his prime. Kyrie > wade, at the time love > bosh. Plus miami had just gotten worked by the spurs. Miami was only going to get worst, the cavs had a much higher ceiling at that point with an irving that was years away from his prime and love that was entering his prime. The heat were done, the cavs were essentially going to have two all star caliber players in addition to LBJ.

Big Moves03
07-04-2015, 05:37 AM
The irony in your post is unbelievable...

reread your first paragraph and then ask yourself what the Lakers strategy is and why it isn't working...

priceless

The problem is that decent guys from bad teams aren't really going to help us that much. There are two types of free agents we should go after at this stage. Young talented guys that might develop into something big and superstars. The superstars are a long shot, but we should still try. My point was that people shouldn't get upset when we don't get them because regardless of who we have in the FO it's fairly unlikely. We probably should have made a better effort to get a player like harris or carroll though, as they are young players that might develop into very good players.

LA_Raiders
07-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Fire Mitch then... We missed out big time. No SF and no C. **** your incompetent GM

Vinylman
07-04-2015, 11:34 AM
The problem is that decent guys from bad teams aren't really going to help us that much. There are two types of free agents we should go after at this stage. Young talented guys that might develop into something big and superstars. The superstars are a long shot, but we should still try. My point was that people shouldn't get upset when we don't get them because regardless of who we have in the FO it's fairly unlikely. We probably should have made a better effort to get a player like harris or carroll though, as they are young players that might develop into very good players.

nothing but excuse making... it's simple... their strategy is a failure... even you recognize it...

$30 million and their dicks in their hands once again...

handle
07-04-2015, 12:58 PM
When we fail again next year, and again the year after that, I don't trust Jim to step down. If you want to sniff another championship sometime in the next decade, we need to start a petition or something to get Mitch and Jim to GTFO (second choice, murder-suicide).

On second thought, based on what I've seen in my years on Lakers forums, the vast majority of fans are sheep who have absolutely no clue what / who the real problem is, so we would never get enough signatures to matter. NM.

GibbyIsMyHero
07-04-2015, 02:32 PM
I just came in to ensure that it wasn't intended to say "re-sign" lol.

I'll believe he's resigning when I see it. Wasn't this past season the 3rd on his original promise to resign after 3?

He just gave himself 2 year extension all willy-nilly?

gr824
07-04-2015, 03:00 PM

Both Carroll and Harris turned out to have been pipe dreams for the LAL, since Carroll got way overpaid by those folks in Toronto -- essentially a max contract representing a 'foreign team' surcharge -- and Harris was an RFA who wound up getting a max deal [ would have been a wasted offer sheet ]. Besides, Carroll is not that young [ he is 29 this month ] ...

Big Moves03
07-05-2015, 01:36 AM
Both Carroll and Harris turned out to have been pipe dreams for the LAL, since Carroll got way overpaid by those folks in Toronto -- essentially a max contract representing a 'foreign team' surcharge -- and Harris was an RFA who wound up getting a max deal [ would have been a wasted offer sheet ]. Besides, Carroll is not that young [ he is 29 this month ] ...

I thought Carroll was younger for some reason, but yeah that's the other issue is that because we are a bad team we are likely going to have to overpay to get players with potential to come over.

ldawg
07-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Just look at next year free agent class. With all the money in the world to spend only 1 problem, Who are the going to spend it on? Remove KD from the list its either over the hill players or below average players. Just go ahead and step down now no need to wait.

ldawg
07-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Kobe should also retire and save himself from being laughing stock. We all know on a sorry team you will be picked apart. I think things got ugly for him last season.

ldawg
07-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Kobe should also retire and save himself from being laughing stock. We all know on a sorry team you will be picked apart. I think things got ugly for him last season.

J4KOP99
07-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Jeannie and jim have turned this franchise into a circus. No need for comments like this. Dr buss would be so disappointed if he saw all this nonsense.

Vinylman
07-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Just look at next year free agent class. With all the money in the world to spend only 1 problem, Who are the going to spend it on? Remove KD from the list its either over the hill players or below average players. Just go ahead and step down now no need to wait.

And a ton of those guys will resign before the end of October because they can sign the infamous... TBD max contract beginning in 2016 deal just like AD just did...

Next years FA is gonna suck pretty much because of the thin class and everyone having money.

Hangin n Wangin
07-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Didn't he say this 3 years ago? What a lop....

SoylentGreen
07-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Promise?

PraiseJesus
07-07-2015, 09:13 PM
Can all of you people relax on the Jim bus hate for a minute??????

Look at what he's built with this young group of talent and cap room. I'm actually very impressed with what he's doing.

Hurricane H
07-07-2015, 10:25 PM
All Jeannie did in making that statement is to show that there is division within the Laker top brass. I always say "don't show your dirty laundry in public". It does not help the organization's image when she did that.

ibejeph
07-08-2015, 11:27 AM
All Jeannie did in making that statement is to show that there is division within the Laker top brass. I always say "don't show your dirty laundry in public". It does not help the organization's image when she did that.

Yup. Business 101, keep things behind the curtain.

Organizational division is present in every endeavor but it is important to present a unified front to the world. It is like in the Godfather, when Santino breaks with his dad in front of the drug dealers - made them appear weak, divided and that did not work out well for anyone.

For all the abuse we heap on him, Mitch understands this and tries his best. Jim too, you never hear him anywhere. Unfortunately, Jeanie is an owner and they can't prevent her from publically voicing opinions.

Vinylman
07-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Yup. Business 101, keep things behind the curtain.

Organizational division is present in every endeavor but it is important to present a unified front to the world. It is like in the Godfather, when Santino breaks with his dad in front of the drug dealers - made them appear weak, divided and that did not work out well for anyone.

For all the abuse we heap on him, Mitch understands this and tries his best. Jim too, you never hear him anywhere. Unfortunately, Jeanie is an owner and they can't prevent her from publically voicing opinions.

Isn't Jim the one that originally put his timeline out into the public domain and Jeanne is doing nothing more than answer a follow up question?

Can't remember how that story originally broke but either way this is nothing more than an update on information that was already out there.

ibejeph
07-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Isn't Jim the one that originally put his timeline out into the public domain and Jeanne is doing nothing more than answer a follow up question?

Can't remember how that story originally broke but either way this is nothing more than an update on information that was already out there.

Well, he is called Fredo Buss for a reason.

Vinylman
07-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Well, he is called Fredo Buss for a reason.

it is pretty stupid for either of them to be talking about it