PDA

View Full Version : Big name FAs dodging Knicks, what does that say about Melo?

Knick_Fever
07-02-2015, 01:09 PM
David West (even though not big name) won't join them because they can't win. Greg Monroe thinks Bucks are better. These comments are obvious but what I find more interesting is that it's exposing Melo significantly. I think this free agency process is really uncovering what Melo truly is- massively overrated. Something that his peers seem to already know.

Aust
07-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Too much is being made about Kobe and Melo and not enough about the actual teams. Neither team made the playoffs and both picked top 5 in the lottery. If the team had more talent and cap, players would be more interested.

Bellz
07-02-2015, 01:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/standings

Bucks are better than the Knicks.... 41-41 vs 17-65 now math wasn't my best subject but 41 is better than 17 right?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-02-2015, 01:32 PM

Bucks are better than the Knicks.... 41-41 vs 17-65 now math wasn't my best subject but 41 is better than 17 right?

41 wins without Parker or Sanders most of the season. Also a stretch of Mayo and Dudley and Ersan missed a chunk right after All star game and we had that bad streak for a while. We had like 30 wins at half way point last year.

bleedprple&gold
07-02-2015, 01:39 PM
41 wins without Parker or Sanders most of the season. Also a stretch of Mayo and Dudley and Ersan missed a chunk right after All star game and we had that bad streak for a while. We had like 30 wins at half way point last year.

Sanders doesn't play basketball anymore so they weren't "without him," which would imply he's coming back at some point.

mngopher35
07-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Players want to be in winning situations and get the most money possible. Knicks didn't offer either of those scenarios to Monroe and the Bucks did. West only has a couple years left and likely wants an immediate contender. LA and NYC need to be able to put at least somewhat solid rosters together before signing a big name player, those guys want to win.

NYKnickFanatic
07-02-2015, 01:44 PM
What does it say about Melo? What does it say about the Knicks?

Who wants to go play for a team that won 17 games in the EAST?!?!

LakersIn5
07-02-2015, 01:50 PM

you should have told lebron that last year when he went to a cavs team with a weak *** record.

BKLYNpigeon
07-02-2015, 02:22 PM
It doesn't have much to say about Melo at all. Just look at the roster, lol.

Theres a lot of pressure in NY from Media and Fans.

I though the Knicks should have taken that salary dump from the Kings. If the Knicks can't get a PF, they should get on the phone and get David Lee from the Warriors.

NYKnickFanatic
07-02-2015, 02:26 PM
It doesn't have much to say about Melo at all. Just look at the roster, lol.

Theres a lot of pressure in NY from Media and Fans.

I though the Knicks should have taken that salary dump from the Kings. If the Knicks can't get a PF, they should get on the phone and get David Lee from the Warriors.

Supposedly they are in serious talks to acquire Lee.

TylerSL
07-02-2015, 02:33 PM
I find this to be more of a condemnation of the New York Knicks organization and how they conduct themselves rather than Carmelo Anthony. Players are not rejecting the Knicks because of Carmelo, the Knicks are getting rejected because they are habitual losers. Players and fans alike watched Phil Jackson show up and tell the world that the New York Knicks were going to be relevant immediately and compete for free agents. They then watched Jackson give away almost all of his talent for almost no return and now the Knicks are in a tailspin. Carmelo Anthony, while he has his faults, is just a pawn in all of this. Carmelo Anthony needs play-makers around him to win. He needs a PG who can feed him the ball and take attention off of him, that's his flaw. He's an iso player and scoring machine, he just needs a ball-handler who can take attention off him and feed him the ball. If Melo could run an offense and get others involved he would be Lebron James, but he can't, he just scores. Melo is an elite scorer, and because there is so much more to the game than scoring, Melo needs everything else from his teammates. He's has never had that, and will probably never have that, so he's never won and probably won't ever win.

Again, the problem is the Knicks organization rather than any one player. They have an owner who writes mean letters to old lifelong fans, they have a President who signed a 5 year $60 million contract and then turned around and lied to everyone about how the team was going to play and how they were going to be built. That same President gave a rookie head coach top level money to run his offense and didn't even show up to the NBA Combine when he was in the same city it was being held. That's why nobody wants to commit their future to the New York Knicks. This is an organization that just doesn't care about winning. Their New York, as long as they can continue to trick the fans to showing up and the money continues to flow, it doesn't matter to them. Carmelo Anthony effectively sold his soul when he signed that contract for 5 years $124 million. At this point he should just ask for a trade but because of his injury history and contract (still 4 years $101 million), don't expect teams to be offering a huge package for Carmelo. Based on that do not expect the Knicks to ever trade him either.

Carmelo Anthony is going to basically become the business plan for the New York Knicks while they go through this "rebuild". Since they won't be able to trade him, as mentioned above, they will use his stardom to get fans to buy tickets just like the Lakers were doing with Kobe. Even though the Knicks stink at least you'll be watching Melo play. This is how Carmelo is going to finish his prime, being used by the Knicks as an attraction to sell tickets. They are not going to be winning in the next 3-4 years, but Melo will be around so they'll get as much money out of him as possible. This has been what the Knicks have been since Jeff Van Gundy left and this generation of fans will be that organizations latest victims. It is so horrible in New York right now no star level player will ever truly contemplate signing there until drastic changes are made top to bottom. It's awful

OA SLAY
07-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Maybe it has something to do with wining 17 games...?
Just a thought.

Should process yours a bit deeper.

GiantsSwaGG
07-02-2015, 02:51 PM
All you have to do is watch 2015 Knicks season recap and understand why nobody wants to come here now

http://youtu.be/WnmaN6S9B_8

hugepatsfan
07-02-2015, 02:53 PM
The Knicks have Melo and no one else. Calderon I guess isn't awful but he's a MLE caliber player. They have two rookies, one a mid 1st rounder that could be decent and then of course one with loads of potential but thought to be a bit of a project. So basically, Melo and no one else. No one is turning the Knicks down because they don't want to play with Melo or that they think he isn't good. It's about the team.

abe_froman
07-02-2015, 02:53 PM
too much is being made of the failure to land free agents being "melo's fault" or "kobe's fault" .free agents generally want to play for a winner,so they will keep rejecting ny or la ,ect. until they can show they can at least be a playoff team....which is why its so f'ed up that those franchises relay on trying to landing top free agents as their "plan" every year.

they will start landing those guys again, but only after they build something enticing through the draft(why thats a motto,that winners are built through the draft) and trades... i.e. getting guys who dont have a choice

G_S_W
07-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Good post, tylersl.

The knicks have an incompetent and strangely immature owner. The GM is completely green and of questionable competence (although a major name in the game). Fish is completely green and of questionable competence.

Re-signing Carmelo was a major error. If you're going to have a fire sale, you might as well get rid of everyone, esp. the largest contract on your team. Carmelo is well past his prime, injured, and can't do anything without a stacked supporting cast anyway.

As much as I despise perennial tankers like the sixers, sometimes it's necessary to start over from scratch and PJax wasn't willing to do that for whatever odd reason.

It's not like the garden would take a huge attendance hit: they still sell out every game on a team that can barely manage double digit regular season wins.

The triangle is not going to cut it. The top caliber teams are incredibly deep geared towards an absolutely lethal small ball, high efficiency 3 ball style of play with outstanding ball movement as the key.

The Spurs and Warriors and to a certain extent Lebron's heat and cavs all fit this mold.

I don't know what PJax's formula for success is, but he's so far behind the curve, you have to wonder if he can actually catch up.

I do think knicks fans deserve better, and with the EC as depleted as it is, there's always hope, but rarely do you see a team with so much in the way of resources perform so poorly. It's amazing that the two largest markets are so pathetically bad yet the NBA is at it's apex of popularity. A very good sign for the league indeed.

SupremeNY.
07-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Bait thread, if we wanted these FAs we would of had em, we had the $$$ for it. I don't even think we put a contract on the table. Most we did was throw offers around.

IndyRealist
07-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Too much is being made about Kobe and Melo and not enough about the actual teams. Neither team made the playoffs and both picked top 5 in the lottery. If the team had more talent and cap, players would be more interested.

This.

Odominator
07-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Yeah neither team made the playoffs because both melo and Kobe are terrible leaders with mega huge egos. No other players are interested in playing with them as the game is transitioning to team oriented ball.

G_S_W
07-02-2015, 03:17 PM
They're different cases.

Kobe is 37, a megalomaniac, and probably hurts his team more than he helps with his ridiculous inefficiency, useage, shot attempts and rock bottom end of game performances.

Carmelo is similar: high useage, high inefficiency, monopolizes shot attempts, ball stopper, terrible team, but not quite as past his prime as Kobe.

The two teams are similar in that the owners are among the very worst in the league.

Fortunately the NBA is as wealthy and as prosperous as ever and doesn't have to rely on it's biggest markets in order to succeed.

kobe4thewinbang
07-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Supposedly they are in serious talks to acquire Lee.Lol---after trading him away before?

Scoots
07-02-2015, 03:22 PM
Bait thread, if we wanted these FAs we would of had em, we had the $$$ for it. I don't even think we put a contract on the table. Most we did was throw offers around.

So every FA makes their decisions based on money and none would decide against NY for any other reason? Really?

setman2000
07-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Denver's been better than the Knicks every year since Melo forced the trade. What does that say about Melo?

Iron24th
07-02-2015, 03:32 PM
Knicks, Lakers and Mavs are big time losers of this free agency barring any turn around.

MELO 15
07-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Denver's been better than the Knicks every year since Melo forced the trade. What does that say about Melo?

I think your forgetting that Melo had led a knicks team to 54 wins and almost had them going to the eastern conference finals, and the reason for that was the team around him. He had the jason kidd, the rasheed wallace, the kurt thomas, the deep ball shooter in novak, the camby's, when where the nuggets a 54 win team without Melo?

R. Johnson#3
07-02-2015, 04:23 PM
Nobody wants to play defense and let's face it, whoever is going to the Knicks is going to have to play A LOT of defense because nobody else will.

deaner
07-02-2015, 04:32 PM

it says that Masai got a lot for him

NYKnickFanatic
07-02-2015, 04:40 PM
LMA canceled his meeting with NY.

:laugh2: When you think things can't get more embarrassing...

Aust
07-02-2015, 04:44 PM

Almost.
2013-14 Knicks won 37, Denver 36 lol

kubernetes
07-02-2015, 04:48 PM

Yep. Also, I know it's hard for some people to understand, but not everyone wants to live in LA or NYC. I've had multiple opportunities to move to either for my own career, and I've turned those offers down every time. And I'm just a normal guy, not a pro athlete and celebrity. Throw in the harsh media spotlight and demanding (some would say petulant) fans, and I can see why many pros would be wary.

Hawkeye15
07-02-2015, 04:49 PM
it doesn't say anything about Melo directly. It says everything about where the Knicks are right now. It's not JUST being in LA/NY. They have to be competitive as well to lure guys in. And the Knicks are a ways off from being that.

Aust
07-02-2015, 04:50 PM
I think your forgetting that Melo had led a knicks team to 54 wins and almost had them going to the eastern conference finals, and the reason for that was the team around him. He had the jason kidd, the rasheed wallace, the kurt thomas, the deep ball shooter in novak, the camby's, when where the nuggets a 54 win team without Melo?

2012-13 Nuggets won 57

Same year Knicks won 54

Jamiecballer
07-02-2015, 05:17 PM
He's a second tier star and everyone knows it?

setman2000
07-02-2015, 05:38 PM

...a selfish, ball stopper, show me the money "second tier star."

D-Block21-Chito
07-02-2015, 05:41 PM
too much is being made of the failure to land free agents being "melo's fault" or "kobe's fault" .free agents generally want to play for a winner,so they will keep rejecting ny or la ,ect. until they can show they can at least be a playoff team....which is why its so f'ed up that those franchises relay on trying to landing top free agents as their "plan" every year.

they will start landing those guys again, but only after they build something enticing through the draft(why thats a motto,that winners are built through the draft) and trades... i.e. getting guys who dont have a choice

Trade Kobe to Bulls for Noah Taj and Doug MC hell I'd even give you 2 first rd picks

MELO 15
07-02-2015, 05:43 PM
2012-13 Nuggets won 57

Same year Knicks won 54

Good call, but my point is that people bash Melo whenever they get a chance. And don't realize that one guy isn't going to win it all. Give the man some players and his team will flourish. Like that 54 win Knicks team or the nuggets team that had Billups

Chronz
07-02-2015, 05:56 PM
It shows you that 1 player, no matter how great, is no longer the entire franchise as it were in the watered down eras.

Chronz
07-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Good call, but my point is that people bash Melo whenever they get a chance. And don't realize that one guy isn't going to win it all. Give the man some players and his team will flourish. Like that 54 win Knicks team or the nuggets team that had Billups

I think people only bash him when his fans try to prop him up above the level of former greats. Nobody is expecting Melo to win a chip, but hes made a career of inconsistent results. Some would actually argue that Billups was Melo's equal in that partnership and that Knicks team was special for a season, when they had Tyson's defense, Kidd's leadership, and 3pt bombers (that your GM undervalues). Im rebuilding the Knicks in my 2K franchise, I've rebuilt teams before, I cant win with Melo in this situation. lol

0nekhmer
07-02-2015, 06:11 PM
This makes me very happy as a Raptors fan, seeing how we own new York's pick next year. Now if the nuggets suck just enough, we might net a really good pick :)

blahblahyoutoo
07-02-2015, 08:52 PM
clearly none of the current FA's are about winning, as they would be lining up to play with melo in the mecca of basketball.

they didn't see the example that melo set, by forcing his way to NY from denver, costing the knicks talent and draft picks, instead of going in the off season and allowing NY to keep some talent, or at the very least using those pieces to trade for others.

they clearly also didn't see the significant "hometown discount" melo gave to the knicks, or that he shunned the bulls to remain in NY because he clearly saw NY as the best option for winning a championship.

melo isn't about the spot light or about money. winning is all that matters to him.

LA_Raiders
07-02-2015, 09:01 PM
They at least got Melo, we got ****

MELO 15
07-02-2015, 09:08 PM
clearly none of the current FA's are about winning, as they would be lining up to play with melo in the mecca of basketball.

they didn't see the example that melo set, by forcing his way to NY from denver, costing the knicks talent and draft picks, instead of going in the off season and allowing NY to keep some talent, or at the very least using those pieces to trade for others.

they clearly also didn't see the significant "hometown discount" melo gave to the knicks, or that he shunned the bulls to remain in NY because he clearly saw NY as the best option for winning a championship.

melo isn't about the spot light or about money. winning is all that matters to him.

Syblimenal Troll

FOXHOUND
07-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Im rebuilding the Knicks in my 2K franchise, I've rebuilt teams before, I cant win with Melo in this situation. lol

Ahh.. 2K, where dreams are born and crushed. I simmed through a season to rebuild my Knicks... traded JR Smith for Brendan Wright and Calderon on draft night for a 2018 2nd round pick... Had the second worst record.... got the 2nd pick... top team passed on the best player in a draft, leaving me with an all around talented 81 OVR PG... someone oddly enough like Russell, 6'5 good shooter, passer and rebounder, only he was a great athlete too...

Then, FA happened... got Marc Gasol with the max... somehow got Draymond Green because Golden State didn't match... resigned Shumpert and Wright using Bird's rights...

Rookie-Galloway
Shumpert-Hardaway JR
Melo-Early
Green-Wright
Gasol-Wright-Aldrich

We had a good season, made it to the ECF before losing to Cleveland...

It was fun...

:violin:

Dade County
07-02-2015, 10:25 PM
Ahh.. 2K, where dreams are born and crushed. I simmed through a season to rebuild my Knicks... traded JR Smith for Brendan Wright and Calderon on draft night for a 2018 2nd round pick... Had the second worst record.... got the 2nd pick... top team passed on the best player in a draft, leaving me with an all around talented 81 OVR PG... someone oddly enough like Russell, 6'5 good shooter, passer and rebounder, only he was a great athlete too...

Then, FA happened... got Marc Gasol with the max... somehow got Draymond Green because Golden State didn't match... resigned Shumpert and Wright using Bird's rights...

Rookie-Galloway
Shumpert-Hardaway JR
Melo-Early
Green-Wright
Gasol-Wright-Aldrich

We had a good season, made it to the ECF before losing to Cleveland...

It was fun...

:violin:

So crazy funny

Scoots
07-02-2015, 11:12 PM

Melo doesn't.

tp13baby
07-03-2015, 12:28 AM
The team sucks. But in all honesty who would want to play with melo. Elite scorer but its all I so. Very average defense at best.

ewing
07-03-2015, 08:51 AM
i think the knicks suck and no trust their mgt. not a good combo. I have actually been surprised how many Den guys have followed Melo to NY. I would guess that he is a actually pretty well liked.

blahblahyoutoo
07-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Syblimenal Troll

first off, I have no idea what that first word is.
secondly, melo is clearly a winner, having won the NCAA championship back when he was at 'cuse. he exudes a winning attitude where ever he goes.