PDA

View Full Version : Does Kobe = Biggest chunk of free agent kryptonite in NBA history?

IKnowHoops
07-02-2015, 11:52 AM
What is the matter with the lakers? Players are turned off quickly by the Lakers pitch. LA supposedly didn't like listening to Kobe's vision of the team. Is he destroying all chance to land free agents?

Darc Mind
07-02-2015, 12:08 PM
Guy shouldn't be in the meetings to begin with.

InRoseWeTrust
07-02-2015, 12:11 PM
I think too much blame is being put on Kobe here.

I would say the problem is more the approach LA is taking to free agents in general, which is selling the city/environment and not the team. (Note - I live in LA so I clearly don't hate it. I like it here, and I'm not a Laker hater by any means).

This is 2015 - guys don't need to be in a big market with a big media presence to be stars. They really don't. Everyone has social media, TV media covers every market, etc. Big free agents want to see organizations with concrete plans and talent in place so they can win, period. Especially guys who have already been in the league for 5-7 years and are seeing their careers take shape.

LakersIn5
07-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Im not saying you are one of them but for those who are bashing the lakers and kobe how exactly will you be recruiting the top free agents if you were on the lakers position?

How will you convince dwight to stay in LA and not team up with harden?
How will you convince carmelo to leave the extra 20+ million dollars and his legion of new york fan base and go to LA?
How will you convince Aldridge that the lakers is a better team for him than the spurs or staying with portland? Haters are bashing the FO for luring aldridge with off the court benefits but if you were the lakers how could you not? Thats the only advantage of the lakers over san antonio and portland or the other teams right now.

And for those blaming kobe for the free agents not wanting to go LA because of him read what i typed on top again and think if the reason really is kobe or if they just have a better opportunity elsewhere. Once kobe retires and if durant doesnt sign with LA(but hopefully he does) who will be your new scapegoat? Kobe wont be there anymore to "ruin" free agency signings. But maybe just maybe you would think that the Lakers just isnt the right fit for them.

NYKnickFanatic
07-02-2015, 12:16 PM
I don't think it's Kobe.

The front office is trying to sell LA. Hollywood, flashy lights, marketing. Not basketball.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-02-2015, 12:17 PM
:yawn:

Aust
07-02-2015, 12:20 PM
It's more about the contract hamstringing what the team can do than him. Old, constantly injured player that is taking up way too much of the cap. If this was a Kobe 10 years younger and we had the cap to max DJ and LMA then I'd like our chances.

I just hope the FO doesn't sign him to yet another extension.

Aust
07-02-2015, 12:24 PM
I don't think it's Kobe.

The front office is trying to sell LA. Hollywood, flashy lights, marketing. Not basketball.

Because there isn't much to sell! "For cap reasons we can't pair you with another good player and you'll be playing with a bunch of first and second year players that might be studs or might not be. They need time to develop." "This is also Kobe's team."

Next year there could be a lot more to sell. Kobe's 25 comes off and the cap jumping up. If the young guys show anything, this team could look more attractive. What would make us less attractive is that we most likely aren't making the playoffs next year.

8kobe24
07-02-2015, 12:44 PM
What is the matter with the lakers? Players are turned off quickly by the Lakers pitch. LA supposedly didn't like listening to Kobe's vision of the team. Is he destroying all chance to land free agents?

No, but I would take a big chunk of whatever and shove it up your hole...
It's easy to point the finger at Kobe given what the media has purported him to be. Was he suppose to beg? Not gonna happen. LMA didn't like what he saw and will choose the best situation for him. An easier path to possibly winning a championship. Lakers can't offer him that, at least not immediately. All the other free agents are pretty much following the same formula same money better situation. But for you to blame it ALL on Kobe is BS...oh and no lube.

ManRam
07-02-2015, 12:48 PM
He's not helping, but this is all getting way overblown. He was in the room with LMA, and apparently his 3 minutes didn't do much...but there are hours and hours of other people trying to sell these FAs something that isn't resonating. That's not Kobe's fault. There's nothing for them to sell, and all the "rings, LA weather, fame, Hollywood, history" stuff isn't anything that matters in terms of winning games. Kobe is again part of that nothing-to-sell, but he's not THE part. He's not THE reason FAs aren't signing...it's WAY more complicated than that.

And his contract isn't, as far as we're aware, really harming the Lakers right now. If multiple max players wanted to go to LAL and couldn't because of him, then yeah...that would suck. But right now zero want to so it's not again THE problem.

Aust
07-02-2015, 01:00 PM
He's not helping, but this is all getting way overblown. He was in the room with LMA, and apparently his 3 minutes didn't do much...but there are hours and hours of other people trying to sell these FAs something that isn't resonating. That's not Kobe's fault. There's nothing for them to sell, and all the "rings, LA weather, fame, Hollywood, history" stuff isn't anything that matters in terms of winning games. Kobe is again part of that nothing-to-sell, but he's not THE part. He's not THE reason FAs aren't signing...it's WAY more complicated than that.

And his contract isn't, as far as we're aware, really harming the Lakers right now. If multiple max players wanted to go to LAL and couldn't because of him, then yeah...that would suck. But right now zero want to so it's not again THE problem.

What? The fact that we've been given interviews with these guys shows that there's interest. We could sign multiple max players if it wasn't for that contract. That's one of the biggest reasons the Suns have a shot at LMA, because of the possibility of him being paired with Tyson. This team would look a heck of a lot more attractive if we could tell both DJ and LMA that we would like to and could pair them.

lakerboy
07-02-2015, 01:06 PM
If Kobe was 25 people would be flocking LA.

Remember back in 2008 when we had a great team, everybody wanted to join in.

Now he's 37 and we have an awful team.

Hawkeye15
07-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Lakers are in a transition period. Every top FA knows they are not competing for the playoffs next year, and there are other places that are competitive right now.

Lakers will be dangerous in FA in a year.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-02-2015, 01:22 PM
colby brian eats first as long as he's wearing a lakers jersey

STRIKERC
07-02-2015, 01:27 PM
I hope they have a good reason for Drafting Russell as opposed to Okafor.

Wade n Fade
07-02-2015, 01:35 PM
He's a free agent cancer, but it's hard to debate because the access to information today is much greater than it was years ago. There will always be big egos in the league. It's nice to see people see Kobe for what he is rather than what he was mystified to be.

mngopher35
07-02-2015, 01:37 PM
It's just that he makes so much money right now and is obviously getting older. I think when he signed for that much everyone knew it would be tougher in FA but he deserved the money for what he has done in his career.

LA has a couple nice young pieces and can start fresh with the new cap next off season.

IKnowHoops
07-02-2015, 01:44 PM
No, but I would take a big chunk of whatever and shove it up your hole...
It's easy to point the finger at Kobe given what the media has purported him to be. Was he suppose to beg? Not gonna happen. LMA didn't like what he saw and will choose the best situation for him. An easier path to possibly winning a championship. Lakers can't offer him that, at least not immediately. All the other free agents are pretty much following the same formula same money better situation. But for you to blame it ALL on Kobe is BS...oh and no lube.

Hilariously defensive. Kobe must be free agent Kryptonite, and you must love him dearly.

t_money25
07-02-2015, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't say he's the only thing that's hurting them but I sure don't think he's helping much.....I'd place the majority of the blame on the Lakers

Supreme LA
07-02-2015, 07:46 PM
He's a free agent cancer, but it's hard to debate because the access to information today is much greater than it was years ago. There will always be big egos in the league. It's nice to see people see Kobe for what he is rather than what he was mystified to be.

What in the world are you talking about? Nobody here evens agrees with you.

PowerHouse
07-02-2015, 07:57 PM
This thread is hilarious. Did everybody forget that Kobe will be GONE after next season? How difficult is it really going to be to play one year learning from one of the best to ever lace them up, say your good-byes and then take the team over as the head honcho in the mecca which is LA? Sounds like a way better deal then people want to make it out to be.

bleedprple&gold
07-02-2015, 08:02 PM
The Lakers are just not an attractive destination right now. Their mainstay superstar for the past two decades is on the brink of retirement and the rest of the team is mostly young, unproven talent. These young guys really need to show they can play before any big time free agents are going to sign on. Competing for a playoff spot this upcoming season would go along way to making the team more attractive but that's going to be a tall task and expecting a lot. And not having our pick next year is really going to sting since we are almost certain to be in the lottery again, so we really need to improve quickly since the draft isn't going to help.

basketballkitty
07-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Send Kobe to Colorado to ANY Hotel...I know he likes it there.

warfelg
07-02-2015, 08:32 PM
I agree with the people who say it isn't Kobes fault.

It's the management. They tired to sell LA, not the product on the court. The digital age has made every market a global market.

Really they should have had Clarkson, Russell, and Randle in the meeting to prove how hard they work and how they are worth building around. If I were a FA I would have no interest in meeting with Kobe. I'm only playing one year with him. Not those other three...my success there is dependent on them.

PowerHouse
07-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Send Kobe to Colorado to ANY Hotel...I know he likes it there.

The year 2003 called, they want their tired-*** jokes back. I know you're just a rook but it would help to at least make the joke have some sort of relevance to the topic.

JasonJohnHorn
07-02-2015, 10:24 PM
It looks like Kobe and Melo both seem to be repelling players. NY and LAL never used to have problems bringing free agent in.

I can't blame players either. It's not so much that you won't see the ball with those guys, as that you won't win. Not seeing the ball doesn't help.

Sssmush
07-02-2015, 10:28 PM
I think too much blame is being put on Kobe here.

I would say the problem is more the approach LA is taking to free agents in general, which is selling the city/environment and not the team. (Note - I live in LA so I clearly don't hate it. I like it here, and I'm not a Laker hater by any means).

This is 2015 - guys don't need to be in a big market with a big media presence to be stars. They really don't. Everyone has social media, TV media covers every market, etc. Big free agents want to see organizations with concrete plans and talent in place so they can win, period. Especially guys who have already been in the league for 5-7 years and are seeing their careers take shape.

I think that narrative is flawed. It's easy to say it doesn't make a difference, but if you really weigh the possibilities that come with being the #1 star in the Lakers versus being a selfless cog in the Spurs authoritarian defer-to-the-next-guy system.... If you consider the shower of golden endorsements and national fame that a low-profile guy like Aldridge would suddenly get if he chose the sexier Los Angeles destination, and consider thst the Spurs likely won't re-do his contract for the new CBA and will try to Tim Duncan him in the future.... I mean we are talking about hundreds of milllions of dollars potentially. ONE of these agents will eventually see that.

The Dwight Howard situation was different. Houston looked looked like a fun landing spot and Howards butt was burning to get out of LA. So he didn't mind leaving $25m on the table and choosing to be a 2nd team all star.

It is true thst Kobe shouldn't be within a mile of these meetings. He seems to have a nasty angry vibe all the time and a dicklike obvious alpha pretension which gets tiresome even in a TV interview. He doesnt seem to have helped or been good for any free agents or rookies in the past, having had issues with everyone from Eddie Jones to Shaq to Smush Parker to any number of other guys whose numbers and confidence seem to noticeably decrease when having to deal with Kobe all the time. I like him as a player but I dont trust him to develop Russell or Clarkson, either. All this stuff about if only somebody tried hard enough or was good enough Kobe would be cool is BS if u ask me.

Keep Kobe away from free agent meetings. DUH! I'd really prefer we trade him to the Knicks for a 2nd round pick. He's hopefully not going to be signed to another gross extension, so if he's not the future why not clear the decks now sooner rather than later and start fresh. Give this hungry young team a chance to find its own chip on its own shoulder.

IKnowHoops
07-02-2015, 10:29 PM
This thread is hilarious. Did everybody forget that Kobe will be GONE after next season? How difficult is it really going to be to play one year learning from one of the best to ever lace them up, say your good-byes and then take the team over as the head honcho in the mecca which is LA? Sounds like a way better deal then people want to make it out to be.

I think you are underrating just how unbearable this is for any star player who knows Kobe is a garbage chucker at this stage of his career.

PowerHouse
07-02-2015, 10:45 PM
I think you are underrating just how unbearable this is for any star player who knows Kobe is a garbage chucker at this stage of his career.

Unless Kobe can sustain the type of playing he was doing those last 10-12 games or so when he turned facilitator dropping mad dimes including a career best 17 assists.

EDIT: The thing about Kobe is that he is not stuck in "chucker mode" like many haters like to think. He can turn that on and off whenever he wants. He can go into facilitator mode whenever he wants, its just that when he knows he has no good help around him and his team aint gonna win anyway and arent going anywhere anyway its more fun to stay in chucker mode. Of course I dont like that, it doesnt draw the free agents to show that style of play.

Scoots
07-02-2015, 11:08 PM
I agree with the people who say it isn't Kobes fault.

It's the management. They tired to sell LA, not the product on the court. The digital age has made every market a global market.

This. Spot on.

The Lakers front office is seen as less than ideal and just coasting on the LA factor.

IKnowHoops
07-03-2015, 12:42 AM
Unless Kobe can sustain the type of playing he was doing those last 10-12 games or so when he turned facilitator dropping mad dimes including a career best 17 assists.

EDIT: The thing about Kobe is that he is not stuck in "chucker mode" like many haters like to think. He can turn that on and off whenever he wants. He can go into facilitator mode whenever he wants, its just that when he knows he has no good help around him and his team aint gonna win anyway and arent going anywhere anyway its more fun to stay in chucker mode. Of course I dont like that, it doesnt draw the free agents to show that style of play.

Shaq disagrees with this. And the 2004 playoff series against the Pistons also disagrees with this. He can go into facilitator mode whenever, but he will chuck no matter who is on his team unless he is playing on the USA olympic team...in which case he would look like a complete moron playing that way.

Sssmush
07-03-2015, 12:57 AM
This. Spot on.

The Lakers front office is seen as less than ideal and just coasting on the LA factor.

Jeez. Get it right. They're just trying to say "hey", like did you realize if you go to San Antonio barely anyone will know you're there till the playoffs... But if you sign with the Lakers you'll be on the cover of Playstation games, NBA 2k, magazines, bam. Probably be the new spokesman for Chevy trucks or something. "Mr. LA" and all that. Come visit California. I'm goin to Disneyland. Steven Spielberg invited me to a party. Rihanna is adking am I single. BAM!!!

Wtf are you kidding me? You gonna go to San Antonio and be Popovich's slot receiver, hus freakin Wes Welker or whatever, mr utility 12-8, sixth man of the year or something. Lamarcus WHO???

Seriously, Lakers just asking them to stop and consider the possibilities if you step into this and own it.

Sssmush
07-03-2015, 01:06 AM
Shaq disagrees with this. And the 2004 playoff series against the Pistons also disagrees with this. He can go into facilitator mode whenever, but he will chuck no matter who is on his team unless he is playing on the USA olympic team...in which case he would look like a complete moron playing that way.

Yeah, and another factor is that Kobe doesnt seem to be a very efficient or organic facilitator.

Like when he is in 17 assist mode, a lot of times he dribbles around a lot, or drives right under the basket then hands the ball off, when really he could've scored himself. But it's like "look at me I'm facililtating".

Kobe doesn't seem to see all the angles or the subtleties of making plays and developing the offense. So when he "facilitates" it often has a very Kobe-ish iso feel to it and he also turns it over a lot because when he's not attacking with his shot defenders go after his handle more. Also I'm guessing they probably double more and get more steals because it is more obvious where he's going with the ball.

I mean if Kobe went balls out to be efficient and selfless, working for PASSES not assists ( and rebounds, open 3s, etc) that would be different but right now his efficiency is not impressive at all.

mrblisterdundee
07-03-2015, 01:24 AM
I think the Knicks management is the boulder of kryptonite. But people realize the Lakers aren't winning anything with Kobe as the leader anymore.

Lakerfan32
07-03-2015, 01:53 AM
Personally not that hurt that we missed out. I like the fact that we're building a young core and I'm excited to see what these guys can do. We won't be great but I like having young players on our squad and watching them develop rather than poach other teams players.

Does this suck for Kobe? Yeah. He had a point when he said that is not fair to take a pay cut when your value to the team is so high, but it's just math. Magic and Jordan did it and TD is doing it now. Kobe chose to get paid and it has handicapped our team to an extent.

He makes the team twice that in sales and revenue, plus it shows loyalty to a great player. Just can really put much next to him.

I personally don't think people want to play with him either. If he was winning that is one thing, but to have to watch him play hero ball AND lose, not worth it

numba1CHANGsta
07-03-2015, 02:43 AM
This has nothing to do with Kobe or the FO, this has to do with the roster in place plain and simple. If Kobe+another superstar were on the team LA would have joined. But he doesn't want to join a team of Kobe+young cats cuz of his age and wants to win now and not be part of a rebuilding process.

clehmun
07-03-2015, 03:02 AM
First, let's the it out of the way that Kobe's not the reason LMA's not coming to LA.
And for everyone who is saying it's management's fault for selling the city instead of basketball, I'm just not sure how much truth there is to it. People just read that LMA doesn't like the basketball side of the meeting and made interpretations on the front office ONLY focusing on the city, marketing, history, etc.
I know there are several reports stating this, but truth is, no one knows what was presented in that meeting other than LMA, his team, and the Lakers. Everyone else is guessing.

MY guess would be something very simple. Lakers told Julius Randle that he will be a KEY part of the Laker's future, and rightfully so. Now if that's the case, LMA would have to spend a lot of time at the 5 spot regardless who else they sign. And that's just not something he would like to do "basketball wise".

Add that to the fact that Laker's core is young and unproven and why would any 30+ year old star want to join the club?

I believe it has nothing to do with Kobe's eat first mentality nor the front office's pitch only focusing on the city instead of basketball. It's just a logical decision from the free agents.

sammyvine
07-03-2015, 05:28 AM
It looks like Kobe and Melo both seem to be repelling players. NY and LAL never used to have problems bringing free agent in.

I can't blame players either. It's not so much that you won't see the ball with those guys, as that you won't win. Not seeing the ball doesn't help.

This is bit of a stupid comment tbf

Kobe is going in one year so his style of play has no bearing on free agents. Also Lakers and NY are in total rebuild mode. Not many established stars will want to play for those teams when they can play for the Spurs, Clippers etc who are way ahead at the moment.

sammyvine
07-03-2015, 05:29 AM

why are you bringing up a player who has retried and playoff series that happened over 10 years ago? How are they relevant in this context?

sens#11fan
07-03-2015, 07:12 AM
First of all, I agree Kobe contract is a bit lofty for hit age. However, I'm pretty sure Laker fans wouldn't mind sucking for 3 years, for the price of 5 championships. Kobe has payed his dues, so as a fan his contract wouldn't be as outrageous and as many have stated his brings enough revenue anyway.
Next, as many have stated all-star caliber players don't want for the lakers because many of them want to win rings. This team is filled with young players atm and don't have enough pieces to contend, even if they sign some big fish. However, say kobe was in his prime then that would be much more attractive to free agents.

RLundi
07-03-2015, 09:03 AM
I HATE threads that have "in NBA history" in the title. Couldn't you think of a more original concept or thought?