PDA

View Full Version : Afflalo to NY for $16 mill

Stunner
07-02-2015, 08:19 AM
@ramonashelburne: Arron Afflalo will sign a two year deal with the Knicks. His option on the second year. $16 million total.

AI
07-02-2015, 08:21 AM
@KBergCBS: Arron Afflalo has agreed to a free-agent deal with the Knicks, league source tells @CBSSports.

@KBergCBS: Afflalo's deal is two years for $16 million, with the second year being a player option.

Solid contract considering what some people are getting in free agency. Knicks still have around $21M in cap space.

pebloemer
07-02-2015, 08:21 AM
8 million per if I understand correctly? Bargain for this years market. He'll fit well in NY.

KnicksorBust
07-02-2015, 08:27 AM
8 million per if I understand correctly? Bargain for this years market. He'll fit well in NY.

Agreed. I wanted Green and Carroll more but to get Afflalo for basically half of what Carroll got is a great price. And he is a playmaker. Phil did a good job here. Is Monroe or Lopez next?

MonroeFAN
What don't you guys understand about the new cap?

Oh wait...

Nice contract.

J_M_B
Good bargain. Knicks keep flexibility too with it only being a two year deal.

unleashthebeast
07-02-2015, 08:28 AM
Very good signing. With what all these ****ers are getting this season, this is a bargain.

Not the big fish that NY fans want I'm sure, but a very good piece. Great fit next to Melo, good 3 and D guy

J_M_B
07-02-2015, 08:31 AM
Agreed. I wanted Green and Carroll more but to get Afflalo for basically half of what Carroll got is a great price. And he is a playmaker. Phil did a good job here. Is Monroe or Lopez next?

Who would you prefer of the two? Lopez will be cheaper I'm certain and a good fit next to Porzingis (though fit probably doesn't matter at this stage for you guys)

nycericanguy
07-02-2015, 08:33 AM
best contract so far.

AI
07-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Who would you prefer of the two? Lopez will be cheaper I'm certain and a good fit next to Porzingis (though fit probably doesn't matter at this stage for you guys)

Depends. If the Knicks are somehow able to land LMA, then Lopez. If not, then obviously Monroe and a stopgap defensive PF with a mid-range shot (See: David West) until Porzingis is ready.

KnicksorBust
07-02-2015, 08:39 AM

Tough question because Monroe has a higher ceiling but Lopez's high IQ and defense are exactly what we need. Plus Lopez comes at a better price. My plan is no matter which one they will sign I will pretend that is exactly what I wanted to happen.

NYKnickFanatic
07-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Robbery.

:dance:

LakersIn5
07-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Great signing. cheaper than danny green but a better player.

mudvayne387
07-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Best contract of the F/A period so far. If they can sign Monroe at (15.4) and somehow move Calderon, they could have a formidable team in the East.

Grant
Afflalo
Anthony
Monroe
Lopez/Koufos

Still a long way to go though ...

InRoseWeTrust
07-02-2015, 09:09 AM
Good fit, great deal.

nycericanguy
07-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Best contract of the F/A period so far. If they can sign Monroe at (15.4) and somehow move Calderon, they could have a formidable team in the East.

Grant
Afflalo
Anthony
Monroe
Lopez/Koufos

why are knick fans obsessed with moving JC?...lol. He's a quality vet PG and one of the best shooters in the league. you wanna hand over the starting PG to an unknown, unproven ROOKIE? no way...

Knicks can still get Monroe & Lopez and keep JC.

mudvayne387
07-02-2015, 09:12 AM
why are knick fans obsessed with moving JC?...lol. He's a quality vet PG and one of the best shooters in the league. you wanna hand over the starting PG to an unknown, unproven ROOKIE? no way...

Not really.

And if the Knicks stay true to the triangle (they will) PG is the least important position on the floor. You can sign a vet min PG who plays good D to compete with Grant/Galloway. Calderon is absolutely atrocious on Defense.

He carries a 7.4 million dollar cap hit the next two seasons. Not terrible, but detrimental to the Knicks at this juncture. If that extra money can net you a defensive minded center and backup pg, then you have to explore all avenues.

nycericanguy
07-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Not really.

they can... still have $22m in cap space left and S&T's can create another 3-4m.

Monroe 15.4m

Lopez 10m

if JC is healthy he's going to be a very good asset with his shooting. You put him and Affalo in the backcourt and you have two guys that can shoot over 40% from 3.

shooting from the PG is very important in the triangle and Grant is not a good shooter, not to mention you cant just throw a rookie out there.

pebloemer
07-02-2015, 09:16 AM
What don't you guys understand about the new cap?

Oh wait...

Nice contract.

It is effectively a 1 year deal. Which means it doesn't fall under the new cap...

It is a great deal and a great fit, but it doesn't really match your argument from the other thread.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-02-2015, 09:39 AM
they can... still have $22m in cap space left and S&T's can create another 3-4m.

Monroe 15.4m

Lopez 10m

if JC is healthy he's going to be a very good asset with his shooting. You put him and Affalo in the backcourt and you have two guys that can shoot over 40% from 3.

shooting from the PG is very important in the triangle and Grant is not a good shooter, not to mention you cant just throw a rookie out there.
Not sure Robin goes for $10M per when broken down Amir Johnson went for $12M per.

Jamiecballer
07-02-2015, 09:42 AM
wow, great value for a decent 6th man. the last 2 years really cost him a fortune.

JLynn943
07-02-2015, 09:43 AM
So, this is most likely going to be a 1 year deal. Afflalo is going to be able to opt out and cash in on the much higher salary cap. Good move for him. He's a good player, so I give the Knicks credit for that, but the second year player option isn't smart for them. Maybe he'll help lure someone good though.

pebloemer
07-02-2015, 09:46 AM
So, this is most likely going to be a 1 year deal. Afflalo is going to be able to opt out and cash in on the much higher salary cap. Good move for him. He's a good player, so I give the Knicks credit for that, but the second year player option isn't smart for them. Maybe he'll help lure someone good though.

The player option is smart for Afflalo though. He'll definitely cash in next summer if he has a decent season. But if disaster strikes, it is good insurance for him.

knicks_champ
07-02-2015, 10:24 AM

It's more than smart on our part.. Keep flexibility and if he opts out next season the cap will rise and we can still resign him for like 10-13 M. Not a big difference. If he opts in then, it's still solid.

knicks_champ
07-02-2015, 10:25 AM

Agree, I don't understand why many wanna move him. With the cap rising next year his # won't hurt us that much. He had a down year just like everyone.

KnicksorBust
07-02-2015, 10:32 AM

Grant
Afflalo
Anthony
Monroe
Lopez/Koufos

Wouldnt we need to move him for our dream scenario of Lopez-Aldridge?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-02-2015, 10:42 AM
wow thats a good signing

Scoots
07-02-2015, 10:48 AM
It sounds like a lot of people here think Afflalo is better than he is.

He's not a good shooter, his D has slipped a lot the last couple years, he's not a good ball handler, passer, rebounder, shot blocker ... he's a serviceable player in the NBA sure, but he's not above average and that is reflected in him signing a 2 year deal for $16M.

LA_Raiders
07-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Good deal, not like the recent overpaids

D-Leethal
07-02-2015, 11:05 AM
It sounds like a lot of people here think Afflalo is better than he is.

He's not a good shooter, his D has slipped a lot the last couple years, he's not a good ball handler, passer, rebounder, shot blocker ... he's a serviceable player in the NBA sure, but he's not above average and that is reflected in him signing a 2 year deal for $16M.

He shot 53% on open 3s last year during his worse season as a pro...

Why do people keep saying he has had two consecutive bad years? He had a crappy year last year on a Denver team that was as much a toxic mess as any team in the league before being traded to be a backup on Portland. The year before he put 18ppg and shot 43% from 3.

BKLYNpigeon
07-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Nice pick up NYK. Now its time to call the Warriors and take David Lee for free.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Daaaamn Knicks.

1st Stat in 2010

Now Affalo in 2015

When NY does a rebuild, watch out. Slow down and save some for the rest of the league.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-02-2015, 11:20 AM
He shot 53% on open 3s

isnt that kinda weak lol

NYKnickFanatic
07-02-2015, 11:29 AM
Daaaamn Knicks.

1st Stat in 2010

Now Affalo in 2015

When NY does a rebuild, watch out. Slow down and save some for the rest of the league.

Comparing a 5 year $100 million contract, to a 2 year $16 million contract?

Your sarcasm sucks.

KnicksorBust
07-02-2015, 11:34 AM
He shot 53% on open 3s

isnt that kinda weak lol

Did you watch the finals? If the Cavs had a shooter like Afflalo that series is completely different.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Comparing a 5 year $100 million contract, to a 2 year $16 million contract?

Your sarcasm sucks.

I thought it was great sarcasm actually, but yea, had nothing to do with the financials.

Scoots
07-02-2015, 12:06 PM
He shot 53% on open 3s last year during his worse season as a pro...

Why do people keep saying he has had two consecutive bad years? He had a crappy year last year on a Denver team that was as much a toxic mess as any team in the league before being traded to be a backup on Portland. The year before he put 18ppg and shot 43% from 3.

I didn't say he had 2 bad years, I said his D slipped the last couple years.

Scoots
07-02-2015, 12:08 PM
isnt that kinda weak lol

Well, Steph shot 91% on covered 3s in the corner ... so by some measures 53% when open is weak :)

Afflalo is a pretty good player and he signed an okay contract. I think it's funny that desperate fans are reacting like it's a great deal for a great player :)

GiantsSwaGG
07-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Nice pick up NYK. Now its time to call the Warriors and take David Lee for free.

That call might be coming soon lol

goingfor28
07-02-2015, 02:07 PM
Good signing and good contract

hugepatsfan
07-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Not sure Robin goes for $10M per when broken down Amir Johnson went for $12M per.

Can't compare 1 year deals to multi-year deals. The concept of Amir's deal was we'll overpay you in year 1 so we don't have to offer a year 2 (and thus maintain added flexibility to pursue bigger options next offseason). Lopez will be going for a multi-year deal.