PDA

View Full Version : Pelicans re-sign Asik, 5 year deal!

Vinny642
07-01-2015, 11:21 PM
Biggest news of the day

The clarity of the money and guaranteed money is unclear as of right now.

Do I really need a link lol, im sure you all are in tuned on any news that comes out

Greg.
07-02-2015, 12:09 AM
5 years $60 million. Do the same morons who bashed the rockets paying him $8.3 million come back or will they actually be ok with it now?

KnicksorBust
07-02-2015, 12:11 AM
As a Knicks fan I wanted him. The price is right. Nice for Pels. They are a good up and coming team. I actually like that AD isn't forced to play the 5.

nastynice
07-02-2015, 12:11 AM
I'm ok with it now..

ManRam
07-02-2015, 12:12 AM
This is one that I struggle to defend. The first of the day (5 years to Crowder is excessive too). Asik's defense is very average these days, so basically he's just a plus rebounder. A complete non-factor on offense. It's not gonna cripple the Pellies, but it still seems surprising...even after everything we've seen today.

Again, I get it...but still.

numba1CHANGsta
07-02-2015, 12:13 AM
oh how exciting *sarcasm*

Vinny642
07-02-2015, 12:14 AM
5 years $60 million. Do the same morons who bashed the rockets paying him $8.3 million come back or will they actually be ok with it now?

Its not all guaranteed and the salary cap is a lot different than a few years ago

Vinny642
07-02-2015, 12:16 AM
We had to make this deal, we sank a first rounder in to getting him. And Monty really wasnt a great coach, I think the team will do a lot better under Gentry in all areas.

Dade County
07-02-2015, 12:20 AM
Non factor...

They should just go small ball, shooters all over the court and get the ball to AD.

Vinny642
07-02-2015, 12:26 AM
Stein-

Hearing that the final year of Omer Asik's new contract in New Orleans is not guaranteed. Guaranteed cash in the deal roughly $45 million

Saddletramp
07-02-2015, 12:26 AM
oh how exciting *sarcasm*

Careful.........we might be pretty close to seeing Lakers fans say "Well, ummmm, what about Asik? Oh yeah, he's already gone."

Greg.
07-02-2015, 12:39 AM
Its not all guaranteed and the salary cap is a lot different than a few years ago

Oh don't get me wrong. It's a good deal for yall. We just had him for a bargain for 2 years and people couldn't figure it out

aussie
07-02-2015, 01:11 AM
The Bird Writes ‏@thebirdwrites 20m20 minutes ago
Omer Asik is going to cost about 12% of the cap. $7.5M in old cap terms.

Great work Dell

ewing
07-02-2015, 05:30 AM
He is a Chris Dudley.

ewing
07-02-2015, 05:32 AM
This is one that I struggle to defend. The first of the day (5 years to Crowder is excessive too). Asik's defense is very average these days, so basically he's just a plus rebounder. A complete non-factor on offense. It's not gonna cripple the Pellies, but it still seems surprising...even after everything we've seen today.

Crowder is an absolute steal. He is a best wing defender on the market, if he could hit backboard from downtown he'd be getting over 10 mil a year like Green, Carroll, etc

hugepatsfan
07-02-2015, 08:04 AM

I like 5 years for Crowder because of the cap situation. It's going to skyrocket next offseason and then keep going up gradually after that, so I believe that by the end of the 5 year deal $7 mil for Crowder will be below market value. That means surplus value in year 5. If you sign him for less year, you're not getting that surplus value. At least that's how I project things. There's still the risk of injury present in every contract and he could just revert to a bum and be a drain for 5 years (he doesn't seem like that type of guy though). And the 5 year deal runs through his age 25-29 seasons so it's not like the 5 years means you'll be paying him past his prime.

flea
07-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Not in love with this deal, but we needed a center and I'm glad the FO understand that fact enough to pay Asik as well as get Ajinca on that cheap deal. It'd be great and I wouldn't be surprised if Ajinca ends up outplaying Asik but the team couldn't risk that with a superstar about to enter his prime. Asik is pretty bad offensively, no way around that. Struggles to finish or do much of anything but he's got good instincts on the glass so it's not awful considering Davis spaces the floor himself and we've got Anderson getting major minutes.

Defensively he was the Pels best player last year and it's not close, even though I think Davis finished somewhere in DPOY voting (goes to show you how box score stats are not a good way to judge defense). He looks poorly conditioned when you watch him but maybe being a gross sweaty white guy is part of his game - either way he endeared himself to me. Pelicans can't afford to lose defense so even if it's an overpay I think it's one the team can tolerate in order to stack their frontcourt. If we only had Demarre Carroll type of forward I'd feel really good about the team.

ewing
07-02-2015, 08:54 AM
Not in love with this deal, but we needed a center and I'm glad the FO understand that fact enough to pay Asik as well as get Ajinca on that cheap deal. It'd be great and I wouldn't be surprised if Ajinca ends up outplaying Asik but the team couldn't risk that with a superstar about to enter his prime. Asik is pretty bad offensively, no way around that. Struggles to finish or do much of anything but he's got good instincts on the glass so it's not awful considering Davis spaces the floor himself and we've got Anderson getting major minutes.

Defensively he was the Pels best player last year and it's not close, even though I think Davis finished somewhere in DPOY voting (goes to show you how box score stats are not a good way to judge defense). He looks poorly conditioned when you watch him but maybe being a gross sweaty white guy is part of his game - either way he endeared himself to me. Pelicans can't afford to lose defense so even if it's an overpay I think it's one the team can tolerate in order to stack their frontcourt. If we only had Demarre Carroll type of forward I'd feel really good about the team.

It is interesting the respect that Chris Dudleys gets now. I loved Duds when he was on my knicks but it took him being on my team for me not to think of him as a joke. I still think it a lot to invest in a guy i would not want on the floor FT b/c he can't play offense

G_S_W
07-02-2015, 02:37 PM
I really thought Asik might flourish as a starter, becoming a 12/10/1.8 guy with a high FG% percentage.

It looks like he isn't a great of a shot blocker as I had hoped, and that his potential is close to being tapped out as his per36 numbers have been identical for several years now and he'll be 29 this upcoming season.

He's a decent starter on a decent contract. Fair is fair.

brandt
07-02-2015, 06:50 PM
Who cares, he sucks!!! Especially for that type of deal. 7.3 points, 9.8 rebounds and 0.9 assist per game. Whoop dee Freakin doo!!! So glad the Rockets got rid of that cry baby!!!!