PDA

View Full Version : Draymond Green re-signs with the Warriors for 5 years, $85 million

BKLYNpigeon
07-01-2015, 11:02 PM
as expected...

everyone is cashing in.

TrueFan420
07-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Good now let's move Dlee so we can bring back Barnes.

goingfor28
07-01-2015, 11:11 PM
Everybody getting paid way more than they deserve, damn. Teams going crazy.

TrueFan420
07-01-2015, 11:16 PM
Everybody getting paid way more than they deserve, damn. Teams going crazy.

How can you say that's not deserved? He was close to being named DMVP, he is the heart of team/sets the tone, can hit the 3 and can do it all. He's was gonna get paid.

mrblisterdundee
07-01-2015, 11:19 PM
Good now let's move Dlee so we can bring back Barnes.

Hopefully the Blazers take a shot at him.

goingfor28
07-01-2015, 11:19 PM
How can you say that's not deserved? He was close to being named DMVP, he is the heart of team/sets the tone, can hit the 3 and can do it all. He's was gonna get paid.
He's good but he's not a $17M/yr player. That's just nuts. It doesn't surprise me though.

TrueFan420
07-01-2015, 11:23 PM
He's good but he's not a $17M/yr player. That's just nuts. It doesn't surprise me though.

With the cap going up its not nuts.

BKLYNpigeon
07-01-2015, 11:24 PM
Demarre Carrol - 15mil a year
Danny Green - 12mil a year
Kris Middleton 14mil a year

17mil for Draymond is no surprise. I was thinking 15 would have been about right.

blahblahyoutoo
07-01-2015, 11:24 PM

without draymon, the warriors are still a championship contender.
with draymond being paid like a first option on another team? maybe playoff hunt if in the east...

tredigs
07-01-2015, 11:25 PM
Boom -- awesome. On to the next one.

Absolutely integral piece to their offensive and defensive flexibility. Getting him through his max-prime and injury free. Monster re-signing by GS.

IndyRealist
07-01-2015, 11:27 PM
People just don't understand inflation. $10M now is not the same as $10M five years ago.

BKLYNpigeon
07-01-2015, 11:28 PM
At least I know Draymond will play hard on every play and hustle.

TrueFan420
07-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Hopefully the Blazers take a shot at him.

If you could take him for little to no cap hit I'm sure the Warriors would be more than willing to oblige. He deserves to go to a good team where he can fight for the playoffs and be a starter. And we don't want a cap hit (so we can bring back Barnes easily) or to have to include any first round picks. He'd be a great replacement for LMA and fit well next to Robin if they can bring him back. It would be a win-win for both parties.

TrueFan420
07-01-2015, 11:38 PM
with draymond being paid like a first option on another team? maybe playoff hunt if in the east...

So without him were still a championship contender but with him and the core from the reigning championship winners were only "maybe hunt if in the east" so sub .500 or .500 record. Are you high?

He's an integral piece to our offense and defense. And the cap is going up this deal won't hand cuff our cap space. Lee expires next year meaning we would only have to go over the cap for 1 year. Iggy and Bogut expire when Curry does and will be mid to late 30's freeing us up to add someone else before we max Curry. Our cap situation is great.

BKLYNpigeon
07-01-2015, 11:40 PM
Draymond and Klay owe Curry some kickback money.

they're nowhere without him.

tredigs
07-01-2015, 11:42 PM
A non-max deal for one of most dynamic defenders in the game + versatile offensive piece from an extremely hard working player through his prime is an amazing deal. I guarantee 99% of W's fans are absolutely thrilled/relieved, and rightfully so.

BKLYNpigeon
07-01-2015, 11:44 PM
who cares about the money. Warriors are better with Green, then without him.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2015, 11:46 PM
nice he is a 9-10 mill player making damn near double with a **** attitude who excels because of the insane team around him.

believeinNYK
07-01-2015, 11:51 PM
He said draymond as a first option on another team, not the warriors, would be fighting to make playoffs in the east

Nikeman
07-01-2015, 11:59 PM
Is Curry now the 4th highest paid on GS now? hahaha kinda feel bad for the dude

nastynice
07-02-2015, 12:06 AM
sweet!! Keeping our "big 3" intact :cheers:

Good to see a 5yr deal signed, let's us focus on other stuff for a while now.

tredigs
07-02-2015, 12:08 AM

Haha -- he is. You have to imagine he could care less though. He's always been rich and turns down ad deals every day. Plus, he has a 200 million dollar contract on the horizon.

nastynice
07-02-2015, 12:08 AM

yea, serious, lol. I have no doubt that Lacob and co will take very good care of curry. There's just a lot of other moving pieces we need to get set and in place first.

Nikeman
07-02-2015, 12:35 AM
Haha -- he is. You have to imagine he could care less though. He's always been rich and turns down ad deals every day. Plus, he has a 200 million dollar contract on the horizon.

To put in perspective how much of a BARGAIN, Curry (4/44) is, he is signed for 1 mill less than what Danny Green signed today, and he is making 1 million per year then Iman Shumpert (4/40), 5 million less than Tristan Thompson (5/80), 5 million less per year than Paul Millsap (3/48), and like 6 million less than Brandon Knight (5/70).

Warriors really pulled some magic out of their hat.

LA_Raiders
07-02-2015, 12:50 AM
Wow, another overpaid player.

Avenged
07-02-2015, 01:14 AM
Errbody getting paid this off season.

bucketss
07-02-2015, 01:20 AM
nba players rich as hell don't understand why some have bad work ethic.

Allphakenny1
07-02-2015, 02:07 AM

I may be mistaken, but I believe he is the 6th highest paid player on the team now. Lee, Bogut, Thompson, Iggy, and now Green are all payed more than him.

sf-fanatic
07-02-2015, 02:09 AM
nice he is a 9-10 mill player making damn near double with a **** attitude who excels because of the insane team around him.

I don't think you mean **** attitude. For one, he doesn't get in trouble with the law. And secondly, his attitude helps out his team as he gets under the skin of opponents. It's not like he has an attitude problem within his team.

Allphakenny1
07-02-2015, 02:11 AM

No way you get a player of his caliber at 9-10 mil. Maybe five years ago, but not now unless they take a pay cut for their team. You may hate his attitude because he trash talks other teams, but his attitude should be looked at as a positive when he is on your team as he is a crazy energy and great motivator/leader guy.

Munkeysuit
07-02-2015, 02:27 AM
Draymond Green is so super important to the GSW both on and off the court, he does so much for them, so many things that go unnoticed and this was his chance to finally feel redeemed. However, he is not worth this much money on any team other than this particular Warriors team...he and Kawhi Leonard are so similar, they have great coaches and a trusting system that allows them to be as successful as they are today.
If you were to take Draymond or Kawhi off their current squads and place them on another team, they would not produce as much as they do for their respective teams and it's a good thing Green didn't leave because he'd be a total bust anywhere else.

Scoots
07-02-2015, 02:36 AM
Draymond Green is so super important to the GSW both on and off the court, he does so much for them, so many things that go unnoticed and this was his chance to finally feel redeemed. However, he is not worth this much money on any team other than this particular Warriors team...he and Kawhi Leonard are so similar, they have great coaches and a trusting system that allows them to be as successful as they are today.
If you were to take Draymond or Kawhi off their current squads and place them on another team, they would not produce as much as they do for their respective teams and it's a good thing Green didn't leave because he'd be a total bust anywhere else.

I don't think he'd be a bust anywhere, but I do believe no team would fit him as well as the Warriors, but the same can be said for Curry. No other team would fit his style of play without having to change to fit him. Any team Green was on would have to change their style to maximize his impact on the game.

It's absolutely a lot of money ... and I agree that it's probably more than he would get in any other year, but not by a huge amount.

Munkeysuit
07-02-2015, 02:41 AM
I don't think he'd be a bust anywhere, but I do believe no team would fit him as well as the Warriors, but the same can be said for Curry. No other team would fit his style of play without having to change to fit him. Any team Green was on would have to change their style to maximize his impact on the game.

It's absolutely a lot of money ... and I agree that it's probably more than he would get in any other year, but not by a huge amount.

Maybe I should have stuck in there that "he'd (Draymond) be a total bust if he were to get paid this amount of money for any other team" That is a lot of money to pay for his talents! how much of what he does is talent and how much of what he does is because of the team he plays on?

MackShock
07-02-2015, 02:45 AM

Suffice to say but Draymond and Kawhi are both system players. They probably wouldnt be as successful in a different situation. Not to say they can't succeed, but yeah.

KingPosey
07-02-2015, 03:17 AM
you don't understand how it works if you think 10 million dollars has changed more than 5% since 2011.

Also, inflation has nothing to do with why salaries just sky rocketed.

tredigs
07-02-2015, 03:55 AM
To put in perspective how much of a BARGAIN, Curry (4/44) is, he is signed for 1 mill less than what Danny Green signed today, and he is making 1 million per year then Iman Shumpert (4/40), 5 million less than Tristan Thompson (5/80), 5 million less per year than Paul Millsap (3/48), and like 6 million less than Brandon Knight (5/70).

Warriors really pulled some magic out of their hat.

To be fair, there were the ankle concerns at the time. I actually just did a search to find his signing thread from 2012 to see what the general sentiment was, and surprisingly most people agreed that this was an absolutely steal/bargain *IF* he stayed healthy. I say surprisingly, because ~90% of the comments in a signing thread for any player on any team are inevitably, "wow overpay".

Found some other gem threads from 5 years back on him and it's interesting to see which posters wanted him moved in favor of Monta and who saw him as the Warriors future.

goingfor28
07-02-2015, 04:27 AM
Hey look someone else gets it. Overpaid product of the system.

More-Than-Most
07-02-2015, 04:37 AM
How much did Thad sign for? because people laughed when I said thad-------->Green.... Thad would be amazing with this team around him and probably could have been had for a ton less lol

Thad got 4 years 50 mill.... He has 1 year and 35 mill less... O.O :speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless:

And dont give me he is the heart and soul **** or but we owe him because we won a championship... If that was the case Why are they trying so hard to get rid of David Lee?

nastynice
07-02-2015, 05:19 AM
wow, everyone thinks its a bad deal, I don't know, if you look across the board and see what the new salaries are looking like I don't think it was bad at all. Obviously if you compare this years contracts to past years contracts its going to look bad, the cap is way higher, so a player taking the same percentage of cap space is going to be a much bigger number.

He's taken HUGE steps now completing his third yr in the league, compare to kawhi's 3rd year which was last year, who signed a similar contract just now, but everyone says that's a steal vs this is a terrible deal? I think they are both in the same tier defensively and while kawhi is clearly more dynamic offensively I still think Green is a very good offensive player, allowing for many mismatches because of his 3 ball. Not saying Green is on the same level as Kawhi as an all around player, Kawhi is one of the best 2 way players in the league, but I def don't think there's that huge a gap to call one a steal and the other a terrible deal.

Either way, kinda no brainer for the warriors FO, curry, klay, and green were the three young players we absolutely had to keep moving forward in order to guarantee we remain contenders, and that's what we did. Definitely a win in my book :)

nastynice
07-02-2015, 05:24 AM
Hey look someone else gets it. Overpaid product of the system.

but he's such an integral part of the system. Its hard to just plug and play someone into that role, his skillset is pretty rare. He can legitimately guard sg's on the perimeter, and he can legitimately guard c's in the paint. He can push the ball as fast as a sg, even take it to the rack when has a big on him, and he can make you pay from the 3pt line if you play off him. And the biggest thing, the "it" factor. Lots of games when the dubs were slumping, he'd make that one play, that play that he has no business making, and really help the entire squad get their **** back on track.

point being, the system doesn't run the same without him.

More-Than-Most
07-02-2015, 05:41 AM
wow, everyone thinks its a bad deal, I don't know, if you look across the board and see what the new salaries are looking like I don't think it was bad at all. Obviously if you compare this years contracts to past years contracts its going to look bad, the cap is way higher, so a player taking the same percentage of cap space is going to be a much bigger number.

He's taken HUGE steps now completing his third yr in the league, compare to kawhi's 3rd year which was last year, who signed a similar contract just now, but everyone says that's a steal vs this is a terrible deal? I think they are both in the same tier defensively and while kawhi is clearly more dynamic offensively I still think Green is a very good offensive player, allowing for many mismatches because of his 3 ball. Not saying Green is on the same level as Kawhi as an all around player, Kawhi is one of the best 2 way players in the league, but I def don't think there's that huge a gap to call one a steal and the other a terrible deal.

Either way, kinda no brainer for the warriors FO, curry, klay, and green were the three young players we absolutely had to keep moving forward in order to guarantee we remain contenders, and that's what we did. Definitely a win in my book :)

Offensively there is a big gap and he is not on the same level defensively... He is very good defensively but its not close offensively, Again a Thad young would have been better for this warriors team at almost half the price.

nastynice
07-02-2015, 06:10 AM
Wouldn't be a good idea to go from someone whom you KNOW is perfect for the system to someone who may or may not be. Not when you have dynasty aspirations in your sights.

flea
07-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Surprised anyone thinks this is a bad deal. Even if he benefits from the system he plays in to some degree he's still one of the 10 best defenders in the league, at minimum, and is more than competent on offense. In fact you'd be hard pressed to find a more useful defensive forward than him for what the Warriors do - puts in the work to make himself a passable 3 point shooter and passes better than most guards. Similar to Tristan Thompson's deal, and while I think Draymond is better I think they are somewhat similar players in impact.

The steal IMO is Kawhi. He benefits from his situation to a degree as well but is younger and looks like he can be the best offensive and defensive player for a very good team. How many people can you say that about anymore? I can't think of anyone since Lebron has aged himself out of "best 2-way player on his team" mold.

KnicksorBust
07-02-2015, 08:48 AM
This signing clinched it. We are looking at a potential dynasty in GState. Love the deal and as the cap goes up they should have no problems keeping that core intact. Really strong possibility of Cavs - Warriors II in 2016.

Rivera
07-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Lmao Thad young is better than draymond green. Only in the nba forum

Rivera
07-02-2015, 08:54 AM
Great deal for the Warriors. They got the ultimate chess piece back. He's the heart, sole, grit and the swag of that GS team. They really needed green back happy they got him back

Rivera
07-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Psd making me double post to go for the crooner triple :pity:

TrueFan420
07-02-2015, 10:42 AM
How much did Thad sign for? because people laughed when I said thad-------->Green.... Thad would be amazing with this team around him and probably could have been had for a ton less lol

Thad got 4 years 50 mill.... He has 1 year and 35 mill less... O.O :speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless:

And dont give me he is the heart and soul **** or but we owe him because we won a championship... If that was the case Why are they trying so hard to get rid of David Lee?

We don't owe him other than he is the most important defensive piece and spaces our offense. As well as his passing is fantastic. He's the perfect fit and with the cap increases the deal isn't bad.

We're moving Lee for two reasons he's surplus and we're trying to be fair to him by finding him a place to play instead of sit on the bench. He handled it like a pro last year but he wants to play. We also want to bring barnes back and moving Lee makes that easier.

Scoots
07-02-2015, 11:19 AM

Young > Green? No.

Young hasn't improved really during his career, Green has improved hugely each year. And how many DPOY votes did Young get?

tredigs
07-02-2015, 12:06 PM

Is that what you're still saying, because if so... HAHAHAHAH.

MTM I never noticed it prior, but you're a truly *special* poster my friend.

sixers247
07-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Is that what you're still saying, because if so... HAHAHAHAH.

MTM I never noticed it prior, but you're a truly *special* poster my friend.

I am a sixers fan and dislike Green but even i think Thad>Green is ridiculous. There is not one thing Thad does better. Thad is a decent player that doesn't excel at anything. He is kind of ridiculous with this comparison.

tredigs
07-02-2015, 12:34 PM
I am a sixers fan and dislike Green but even i think Thad>Green is ridiculous. There is not one thing Thad does better. Thad is a decent player that doesn't excel at anything. He is kind of ridiculous with this comparison.

I've actually always enjoyed Thad's game (tho' thought he had more potential than where he's at 3 years ago) and pushed for GSW to try to get him some years back. But yeah, for him/some others not to understand how vital Draymond is both in general and specifically to a team looking to start a dynasty is just silly ignorance. The defense predicated on defensive switching alone + periods (or entire closing Finals games) of small ball where Green plays center falls apart with almost any other player on the team. Also, to brush aside the heart/soul comment and be unaware of how much of a personality shift the team would suffer without the non-stop competitor that Green has proved to be (back to his Izzo/Spartan days) is also foolish to me.

Guaranteeing that Curry/Green/Klay are sticking together for at minimum 2 more years (and in all likelihood Curry is resigning and making it 4+ years) was the paramount objective for GSW management, and they got there. The new/higher caps will help open up more room for future signings, and I don't think there will be a shortage of players willing to take slight pay cuts to come play with that core and contend (especially when they're playing in an insane new stadium in SF in 2017).

That'll do it for my thoughts on this fantastic sub-max signing.

sf-fanatic
07-02-2015, 05:08 PM
I actually like Thad Young, but Green is far more of a complete player.

The old sixer squad with Thad Young, Jodie Meeks, and Iggy was so good in NBA 2k. Iggy and Thad were so overrated they could hit the three ball at will. When I would choose that team, people would give me the weird look.

kubernetes
07-02-2015, 05:11 PM
Have people been locked in a box for the past year? The cap is about to explode. Teams are "overpaying" now and are glad to do it because these contracts will be bargains in two years.

THE MTL
07-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Green is the highest paid player on the Warriors lol. These contracts

Stunner
07-02-2015, 06:17 PM

Thibs and Ron Adams wanted him in Chicago

blahblahyoutoo
07-02-2015, 08:44 PM
clearly reading is difficult for you so I'll cut you some slack.

So without him were still a championship contender but with him and the core from the reigning championship winners were only "maybe hunt if in the east" so sub .500 or .500 record. Are you high?

He's an integral piece to our offense and defense. And the cap is going up this deal won't hand cuff our cap space. Lee expires next year meaning we would only have to go over the cap for 1 year. Iggy and Bogut expire when Curry does and will be mid to late 30's freeing us up to add someone else before we max Curry. Our cap situation is great.

nastynice
07-02-2015, 09:39 PM
Green is the highest paid player on the Warriors lol. These contracts

well what are teams supposed to do? Just keep their current cap, so when the cap is upward of a $100mill, they'll just be using $60mill of that and not a penny over? OBVIOUSLY all the NEW contracts are going to be bigger, there's way more money to play with!

Now if Green and Curry both signed TODAY, and Green got paid more, then what you're saying would make sense. But Curry signed 2 yrs ago. Green signed 2 days ago.

TrueFan420
07-02-2015, 11:14 PM
clearly reading is difficult for you so I'll cut you some slack.

Really now would you care to clear up your statement then?

Without him were still a championship contender. Check; pontentiay

With him being paid like a first option on another team (in reference to the deal he just signed)? maybe playoff hunt in the east. Check; you're dumb. We just signed him to that deal and I think we will still be a top seed in the west let alone just hunting for the playoffs in the east.