View Full Version : Amir Johnson to Celtics

5ass
07-01-2015, 03:40 PM

2 yr 24 mill
https://twitter.com/wojyahoonba

Very nice pick up

MinnesotaFtw
07-01-2015, 03:40 PM
So 12 per for Johnson is a nice pickup, but 16 per for Tristan Thompson is an overpay?

Alayla
07-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Source is Woj's twitter
https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Alayla
07-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Lol you beat me to it someone post about singer now

mjt20mik
07-01-2015, 03:42 PM
LMAO... i don't understand posters...

15 Million to Caroll is too much
18 Million to Thompson is too much

but 12 Million to Amir (who I totally love as a player but has had serious issues staying healthy) is a good deal?

aussie
07-01-2015, 03:46 PM
first name in the title would of been nice

Muttman73
07-01-2015, 03:46 PM
first name in the title would of been nice

Dennis Johnson?

5ass
07-01-2015, 03:47 PM
LMAO... i don't understand posters...

15 Million to Caroll is too much
18 Million to Thompson is too much

but 12 Million to Amir (who I totally love as a player but has had serious issues staying healthy) is a good deal?

That's because you're grouping all posters as one. That's why it doesn't make sense. Different posters, different opinions. If you check the Carroll thread I said it was a solid deal.

ManRam
07-01-2015, 03:47 PM
If everyone is getting "overpaid" than is anyone really "overpaid"?

dalton749
07-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Would have liked to see him retire a raptor but that's a good pay day for the oldest 28 year old in the league. Wanted him back on the bench for 12 over 2 years but that's way to much with his ankle problems

WITZ
07-01-2015, 03:48 PM
So 12 per for Johnson is a nice pickup, but 16 per for Tristan Thompson is an overpay?

Do you even PSD bro :laugh2:

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Wasn't he breaking down last couple seasons? Hopefully that second year is team option. Bit risky. Ajinca looks like a steal on a 4/$20M.

mjt20mik
07-01-2015, 03:51 PM
That's because you're grouping all posters as one. That's why it doesn't make sense. Different posters, different opinions. If you check the Carroll thread I said it was a solid deal.

My apologies...

I've just seem so many horrible reactions to big numbers, yet people have forgot about the cap increase coming into play.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-01-2015, 04:13 PM
lol these contracts are getting ridicilous, even though the cap will rise

Vinny642
07-01-2015, 04:14 PM
SMH 12 a year for this dude, tf?

RB#20
07-01-2015, 04:27 PM
****! Man! I clicked on this thread hoping that I was going to see that we signed Grandma Ma and now I gotta deal with Amir ****ing Johnson!?! This dude's kidneys are the only thing healthy about him and his basketball skills stink worse than his uniform, and we over-paid for the guy he should be 8 mil per year not 12! I knew we were going to sign the next Raef LaFrentz after hearing how we are gonna get Love and Tobias and Aldrige and Kobe the only thing we got was a ****ing hand job **** this!

celticsman2009
07-01-2015, 04:29 PM
Johnson blows. This deal is garbage.

xnick5757
07-01-2015, 04:43 PM
Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
Deals w/Amir Johnson and Jerebko have non-guaranteed 2nd years. Full story on Celtics' FA pursuits just posted.

5ass
07-01-2015, 04:45 PM
Deals w/Amir Johnson and Jerebko have non-guaranteed 2nd years. Full story on Celtics' FA pursuits just posted.

Nice. At worst, salary filler in a big trade.

ManRam
****! Man! I clicked on this thread hoping that I was going to see that we signed Grandma Ma and now I gotta deal with Amir ****ing Johnson!?! This dude's kidneys are the only thing healthy about him and his basketball skills stink worse than his uniform, and we over-paid for the guy he should be 8 mil per year not 12! I knew we were going to sign the next Raef LaFrentz after hearing how we are gonna get Love and Tobias and Aldrige and Kobe the only thing we got was a ****ing hand job **** this!

I love Amir and have been kinda following him, and it even took me a second to realize who the OP was referring to based on the title. You can't call Amir Johnson "Johnson". :laugh:

ChI_ShIzzLe
Great title. I thought Magic Johnson came out of retirement.

IndyRealist
07-01-2015, 04:51 PM

People saying it's an overpay need to look at this. Johnson will play one year and then be trade bait, probably destined for OKC in an attempt to get Durant.

Wade n Fade
07-01-2015, 05:00 PM
I'll miss Johnson as a Raptors fan. Good team guy and played with a lot of energy for years. With the deal he got, I am not mad he's gone. $12 mill over 2 yrs isn't bad under the new cap, but for now, it's a bit of a reach, but Boston has a log jam at the 4 and 5. I think keeping Sully and Bass is important if I were a C's fan.

bucketss
07-01-2015, 05:03 PM
People saying it's an overpay need to look at this. Johnson will play one year and then be trade bait, probably destined for OKC in an attempt to get Durant.

yeah theres zero chance of that happening.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Second year nonguaranteed according to yahoo Woj.

IndyRealist
07-01-2015, 05:14 PM
yeah theres zero chance of that happening.

That's not really the point. They're going to have a non-guaranteed contract to trade next summer.

Munkeysuit
07-01-2015, 05:14 PM
I think this is an awesome move, very under the radar pick up for the C's

RubberBand Man
07-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Dennis Johnson?

Magic?
Larry?
Johnson who?

mike_noodles
07-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Glad Amir got paid. It seemed like he was on his last deal forever.

dtmagnet
07-01-2015, 05:52 PM
If he could just stay healthy this would be a great deal. His ankles are just in ruins unfortunately.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Magic?
Larry?
Johnson who?

Ervin "Stone hands" Johnson?

2-ONE-5
07-01-2015, 07:59 PM
Ainge is clueless

Jamiecballer
07-01-2015, 08:08 PM
Darn you Celtics, darn you to hell

hugepatsfan
07-01-2015, 08:46 PM
I was ready to murder people when I thought it was 2 years $24 mil all guaranteed. But I like this for the Celtics in their position. Tanking isn't an option because with Stevens and the decent players we have we're not going to get very high in the lottery. Top FAs didn't want to come so it was either overspend long-term on mid-tier FAs or overspend for 1 year on lower-tier guys. This isn't a great deal but the alternative without hurting long-term flexibility was for the owner to just sit on the money and I'd rather them sign someone than no one. This is the best they can do without jeopardizing long-term flexibility. I'd still like to see them explore adding Tobias Harris either through S&T or salary dumping Wallace to create the cap space (we have a million picks to attach to him).

Jamiecballer
07-01-2015, 09:22 PM
^ you will be pleasantly surprised if you look beyond the box score

aman_13
07-01-2015, 09:48 PM
If Amir Johnson is healthy next season, the Celtics got a very good player.

greg_ory_2005
07-01-2015, 10:04 PM
I wish Amir all the best with the Celtics. They'll love him very soon. He just brings passion and energy that doesn't show up on the box scores.

Its also pretty much a 1 year deal with the 2nd being non guaranteed

FlakeyFool
07-01-2015, 10:09 PM
If Amir Johnson is healthy next season, the Celtics got a very good player.

Unlikely he'll ever be healthy with those chronic ankle problems

mike_noodles
07-01-2015, 10:20 PM
I think the best part of this for the Celtics is they really got a player that is a true professional in every sense of the word. He will be an excellent mentor for the younger players on the squad. You can never question the man's work ethic, hustle or effort. He gives up everything for his team, every night.

ManRam
07-01-2015, 10:31 PM
I was ready to murder people when I thought it was 2 years $24 mil all guaranteed. But I like this for the Celtics in their position. Tanking isn't an option because with Stevens and the decent players we have we're not going to get very high in the lottery. Top FAs didn't want to come so it was either overspend long-term on mid-tier FAs or overspend for 1 year on lower-tier guys. This isn't a great deal but the alternative without hurting long-term flexibility was for the owner to just sit on the money and I'd rather them sign someone than no one. This is the best they can do without jeopardizing long-term flexibility. I'd still like to see them explore adding Tobias Harris either through S&T or salary dumping Wallace to create the cap space (we have a million picks to attach to him).

Name current Celtics big men that can defend.

OK. Now you at least have one. It's a great value signing. He's a solid two-way player. Two-way players are great.

And PPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEASSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE explore a S&T for Tobias ;)

Jamiecballer
07-01-2015, 10:45 PM
For my money quite possibly the most underrated player in the league

Corey
07-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Ainge is clueless

Not really

KMP211
07-02-2015, 12:24 AM
solid move, good compliment in the front court. they need a scoring wing though, til that is addressed i won't be terribly satisfied.

2-ONE-5
07-02-2015, 10:06 AM
Not really

i mean i guess not if mediocrity is the goal

jifnbi
07-02-2015, 12:22 PM
So 12 per for Johnson is a nice pickup, but 16 per for Tristan Thompson is an overpay? http://healthlifeok.com/green/images/44.gifhttp://healthlifeok.com/green/images/63.gif

hugepatsfan
07-02-2015, 12:29 PM
So 12 per for Johnson is a nice pickup, but 16 per for Tristan Thompson is an overpay? http://healthlifeok.com/green/images/44.gifhttp://healthlifeok.com/green/images/63.gif

You can't compare 1 year deals to 5 year deals. If the Celtics gave him multi-years for $12 mil per then good lord would people be hammering them. But because it's only one year it makes sense. Overpay him salary wise to keep the length down and maintain flexibility next offseason.

Cavs were in a different spot where there was no flexibility to maintain. It was either keep TT with Bird Rights or just lose him and still be over the cap with nothing but the MLE.

So really, in conclusion, it's bat**** crazy for you to compare these deals in anyway.

hugepatsfan
07-02-2015, 12:41 PM

I'm not happy about being mediocre but there wasn't anything he could have done. He started his rebuild with an old Pierce making $16 mil, an old KG signed for 2 years at $10 mil/year, Courtney Lee signed for 3 years at MLE money, Jason Terry signed for 2 years at MLE money, Brandon Bass at $6.5 mil/year for 2, Jeff Green signed for 2 years at $9 mil/year and Rondo (coming off a major knee injury) for 2 years at $12 mil/year.

He didn't start the rebuild with movable contracts. Instead of letting them expire for nothing though, he moved them and took a lot of money back to get a lot of picks. Sure a lot of them are late but they're better than just waiting for the guys to expire and collect nothing. That was smart by Ainge.

If Ainge did anything wrong, it was hiring Stevens because he's too good a coach. People don't realize how much better he makes the team because it's still only mediocre. Without him, they would have been BAD these last 2 years. And I'm being sarcastic because I will NEVER criticize a GM for hiring a terrific coach. Once Stevens has a good team (who knows when that will be or even if still in BOS) I promise you he'll be right up there in the discussion for best coach in the NBA. He's already there but people don't realize it because of the record.

The Celtics are stuck in mediocrity because of the moves they made to try and contend of the Big 3 era, not because of what they've done since. At this point, all they can do is make the best of the situation they are in. Keep collecting good players on modest long-term deals or overpay in the short-term to keep years down and maintain flexibility (like this one). He's got the team in position where they'll be able to offer two max contracts next year and a pretty slid supporting cast. And if they strike out next year, he'll make more deals like this so he can try again the following year. It's not the picture perfect model to rebuild, but it's the best path you can take from the situation they're currently in. I have absolutely 0 issue with the job Danny's doing. He's always looking to do big things but I commend his patience to avoid going too far and jeopardizing the future.

8kobe24
07-02-2015, 12:46 PM
If everyone is getting "overpaid" than is anyone really "overpaid"?

Yes, everyone who is being overpaid.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-03-2015, 01:33 AM
I'm not happy about being mediocre but there wasn't anything he could have done. He started his rebuild with an old Pierce making $16 mil, an old KG signed for 2 years at $10 mil/year, Courtney Lee signed for 3 years at MLE money, Jason Terry signed for 2 years at MLE money, Brandon Bass at $6.5 mil/year for 2, Jeff Green signed for 2 years at $9 mil/year and Rondo (coming off a major knee injury) for 2 years at $12 mil/year.

He didn't start the rebuild with movable contracts. Instead of letting them expire for nothing though, he moved them and took a lot of money back to get a lot of picks. Sure a lot of them are late but they're better than just waiting for the guys to expire and collect nothing. That was smart by Ainge.

If Ainge did anything wrong, it was hiring Stevens because he's too good a coach. People don't realize how much better he makes the team because it's still only mediocre. Without him, they would have been BAD these last 2 years. And I'm being sarcastic because I will NEVER criticize a GM for hiring a terrific coach. Once Stevens has a good team (who knows when that will be or even if still in BOS) I promise you he'll be right up there in the discussion for best coach in the NBA. He's already there but people don't realize it because of the record.

The Celtics are stuck in mediocrity because of the moves they made to try and contend of the Big 3 era, not because of what they've done since. At this point, all they can do is make the best of the situation they are in. Keep collecting good players on modest long-term deals or overpay in the short-term to keep years down and maintain flexibility (like this one). He's got the team in position where they'll be able to offer two max contracts next year and a pretty slid supporting cast. And if they strike out next year, he'll make more deals like this so he can try again the following year. It's not the picture perfect model to rebuild, but it's the best path you can take from the situation they're currently in. I have absolutely 0 issue with the job Danny's doing. He's always looking to do big things but I commend his patience to avoid going too far and jeopardizing the future.

My thoughts exactly.

FriedTofuz
07-03-2015, 02:37 AM
Ainge is one of the best GMs in the League, I wouldnt call for his head.

RaginRondo17
07-03-2015, 06:53 AM

No he just realizes it takes the right move and the right move isn't always there to take. So he is stocking piling assets until it becomes available. Not like he isn't trying, he offered 4 #1's for the #10 pick to try and get Winslow. What more do you want from him? He's stayed on course for rebuilding, unlike many GM's who will sign some mid tier star to an overpriced deal and give there fans a false sense that they're contenders. In a "tank year" the Celtics still grab the #8 seed under Stevens, this team is going to be near the top of the East again within 2-3 years.

BlueandWhite
07-03-2015, 08:42 AM
Amir was def a fan favourite in Toronto. You will love his hard work. But the PF position has been the weakness for the Raptors for the past few years. Getting abused on the inside and with a lot of PF stretching the offence and shooting mid-range/3's, this is not amirs game. Amir is a grinder, but is he really going to start for the celtics? if not, is that too much for a role player? I really want him to succeed, but whats his role really going to be?

2-ONE-5
07-03-2015, 09:14 AM
No he just realizes it takes the right move and the right move isn't always there to take. So he is stocking piling assets until it becomes available. Not like he isn't trying, he offered 4 #1's for the #10 pick to try and get Winslow. What more do you want from him? He's stayed on course for rebuilding, unlike many GM's who will sign some mid tier star to an overpriced deal and give there fans a false sense that they're contenders. In a "tank year" the Celtics still grab the #8 seed under Stevens, this team is going to be near the top of the East again within 2-3 years.

what assets? a bunch of late firsts, we just what teams think of those by turning them down all draft night. They dont really have a any young player assets depending on how you feel about Smart. What tea will be at the top of the East in 2 years, these current players? Short of KD and Westbrook it doesnt appear to be any starts possibly moving teams any time soon.

2-ONE-5
07-03-2015, 09:17 AM

I agree with most of this but i think Stevens being a great coach has gotten overblown a bit. He is terrific i dont want to take away from him but you guys had a div with 2 of the 3 worst teams in the entire league and a really bad conference and fell backwards into the playoffs while trying to initially tank. I thought the IT move was a head scratcher too with him under contract but i guess the thinking was with the playoffs likely why not try to get better.

leprechaun5
07-03-2015, 09:27 AM
I agree with most of this but i think Stevens being a great coach has gotten overblown a bit. He is terrific i dont want to take away from him but you guys had a div with 2 of the 3 worst teams in the entire league and a really bad conference and fell backwards into the playoffs while trying to initially tank. I thought the IT move was a head scratcher too with him under contract but i guess the thinking was with the playoffs likely why not try to get better.

IT has one of the best contracts in NBA today. And we gave almost nothing for him. You can't pass on that chance. And you never know if all those picks are going to be late firsts. If Dallas miss on DeAndre that pick can be in lottery next season. Brooklyn's pick is unprotected. We will have a huge amount of cap space in 2016 which may be our year.(there's no guarantee but he has done everything he can to put us on this position)

hugepatsfan
07-03-2015, 10:05 AM
what assets? a bunch of late firsts, we just what teams think of those by turning them down all draft night. They dont really have a any young player assets depending on how you feel about Smart. What tea will be at the top of the East in 2 years, these current players? Short of KD and Westbrook it doesnt appear to be any starts possibly moving teams any time soon.

What was the alternative to those late 1st roudners though? He could have kept Pierce/KG/Rondo/Green/Lee/Terry and let them expire. Instead Ainge traded them and started rebuilding 2 years early. That's a smart move and all he could do in that situation. Late 1st rounders aren't the most valuable thing in the world but it's better to have them than it is to not have them. When we say he's done a great job of collecting assets that's not the same as saying we have a treasure chest full of top assets. It just means he's done a great job of turning what he has into the best assets he could get for them.

You said before "Ainge is clueless" and I just think that was an unfair statement. I'll agree with you that the Celtics appear stuck in mediocrity but that's a separate issue. I think Ainge has done a great job over the last 2 years if you look at his individual moves. The problem is that they started rebuilding in awful position so even with him doing a good job there's still a long ways to go. My big criticism of him would be that he hung on to the Big 3 too long and should have started rebuilding sooner but that's long in the past so I don't really hold that against him when looking at the team today.

I think you'll come around on Stevens as he continues to grow with the players he has and Ainge keeps making small to moderate upgrades. I bet you (and everyone else) will be drinking the cool-aid. And this isn't just homer Celtic fans giving him love. A lot of respected basketball minds can't stop gushing about this guy. I really just think he's an amazing coach. You yourself said in this post that they were trying to tank for the last 2 years (until about halfway this year) so you can't hold his record against him. Once they made the decision to trade for IT and go for the playoffs this year the Celtics actually had one of the best records in the East. I know that's not exactly a huge accomplishment but when you do it with the roster they have I think that's great coaching because the roster isn't that good, even in the East.

And on the IT trade, like you said, once it became clear they were either going to make the playoffs or just miss they decided to go for it. They tried to tank but Stevens coached guys up to where we were still only getting to 10 or 11 so they decided it was worth adding a good young player in Thomas signed very cheaply for the next 3 years. Again getting back to Ainge, I really liked the way he showed a willingness to alter course where it made sense rather than being hard-headed and sticking to his initial plan even when new circumstances dictated something a little different.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-03-2015, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't exactly call going 20-11(tied most wins in the east) since the all star break "falling backwards" into the playoffs...

Amir will fit right in with this team of gritty hustle players, push our young bigs to be better and continue to help Stevens build his culture here in Boston.

KnicksorBust
07-03-2015, 10:49 AM

What does adding Amir do for them next year? You have young frontcourt players like Sullinger, Olynyk, Zeller, and didn't you sign Jerebko? Maybe $12 for Amir gets you an extra 2-3 wins but all you are doing is blocking young players and still an easy out in the playoffs.

hugepatsfan
07-03-2015, 10:58 AM
^ It was 20-11 from the trade deadline, not the all-start break.

Honestly, the Celtics made so many roster moves last year that what they did before the trade deadline isn't even relevant looking forward. They didn't settle on a roster until the trade deadline. 20-11 is a 65% winning percentage. Over a full season that's 53 wins. I don't think they could keep that pace up for a full season and teams having more scouting material on them, but I feel pretty confident that if the Celtics had a full year with their post trade deadline roster they'd have been higher than the 40 games they ended up winning. I'd say they would have met somewhere in the middle between those numbers.

hugepatsfan
07-03-2015, 11:04 AM
What does adding Amir do for them next year? You have young frontcourt players like Sullinger, Olynyk, Zeller, and didn't you sign Jerebko? Maybe $12 for Amir gets you an extra 2-3 wins but all you are doing is blocking young players and still an easy out in the playoffs.

Amir gets one spot. There's usually 4 bigs in a rotation so that leaves Sullinger/Zeller/Jerebko/Olynyk to fight it out for the remaining 3 spots. One guy gets left out until someone gets hurt. If one of the young guys (Sully/Zeller/Olynyk) can't beat out Jerebko for a spot then I'm not worried about blocking him because he doesn't have a future with the team anyway if that's the case. There's no way we're going to keep all those guys moving forward.

KnicksorBust
07-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Amir gets one spot. There's usually 4 bigs in a rotation so that leaves Sullinger/Zeller/Jerebko/Olynyk to fight it out for the remaining 3 spots. One guy gets left out until someone gets hurt. If one of the young guys (Sully/Zeller/Olynyk) can't beat out Jerebko for a spot then I'm not worried about blocking him because he doesn't have a future with the team anyway if that's the case. There's no way we're going to keep all those guys moving forward.

Humor me. How would you split those frontcourt minutes?

hugepatsfan
07-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Humor me. How would you split those frontcourt minutes?

However Stevens feels like.

KnicksorBust
07-03-2015, 11:57 AM
However Stevens feels like.

:laugh: Come on. That's a cop out answer and you know it. So I have to wait till the first week of the season to properly bash this signing because you won't create a predicted rotation? Last season:

Sullinger (22) played 27mpg
Olynyk (23) played 22mpg
Zeller (25) played 21mpg
Jerebko (27) played 18mpg

Amir Johnson (27) played 26mpg (which should be noted is down from 29mpg in each of the last 2 seasons).

Realistically unless you want to run this squad like a Euro team one of them is going down to almost nothing. Even if we assume Jerebko is odd man out (there's $5 million per year for nothing) then you still have only 24mpg available per player to split with Zeller/Olynyk/Sully/Amir. If you believe any of those players have a future with the team they should +30mpg to develop. You had a deep enough front-court to play out the season. I don't see how Amir Johnson at $12 million per year helps that rotation, makes the Celtics a contender, and he's not even a long-term solution. It's just a bad signing.

cgjcgjk
07-03-2015, 12:06 PM

hugepatsfan
07-03-2015, 12:44 PM
:laugh: Come on. That's a cop out answer and you know it. So I have to wait till the first week of the season to properly bash this signing because you won't create a predicted rotation? Last season:

Sullinger (22) played 27mpg
Olynyk (23) played 22mpg
Zeller (25) played 21mpg
Jerebko (27) played 18mpg

Amir Johnson (27) played 26mpg (which should be noted is down from 29mpg in each of the last 2 seasons).

Realistically unless you want to run this squad like a Euro team one of them is going down to almost nothing. Even if we assume Jerebko is odd man out (there's $5 million per year for nothing) then you still have only 24mpg available per player to split with Zeller/Olynyk/Sully/Amir. If you believe any of those players have a future with the team they should +30mpg to develop. You had a deep enough front-court to play out the season. I don't see how Amir Johnson at $12 million per year helps that rotation, makes the Celtics a contender, and he's not even a long-term solution. It's just a bad signing.

Like I said, it will be a COMPETITION in training camp for roles. No one is going to be handed anything. If guys can't win their positions in training camp, then so be it. They aren't long-term pieces anyway if that's the case. I can give you my best guess if that will make you happy…

I believe the Celtics offense will feature a LOT of pick and roll next year. That's why I believe they took Terry Rozier at #16. Pick and roll is his game. Isiah Thomas is one of the better pick and roll scorers in the NBA. I believe he will transition back from the 6th man role he played in BOS and PHX to the starting PG spot he occupied in SAC before last season. Rozier will be the backup PG. I think Smart will be transitioned from the PG spot to SG. The weakness on him coming out was supposed to be his 3 point shot but he actually played really well in that area last season. He had a poor shooting percentage last year but it wasn't 3s that were the problem. He shot 34% from 3 which isn't bad especially for someone who can play the kind of defense he does. His offensive struggles came in the rest of his game. I think he projects better as a SG where he won't have as many primary ball handler responsibilities.

The reason why I bring that up in relation to the bigs is because I think the pick and roll is a big reason why they signed Amir. He's one of the better bigs at that in the NBA once you get past the obvious top tier guys. That's a niche skill he has. He's also the best rim protector on the team, FAR better than anyone else (not saying a ton but still, you asked what he adds to the rotation). Tyler Zeller is also a guy who specializes in the pick and roll. So for that reason, I believe the two of them will split the C spot at about an even 24 minute apiece split. I'm not worried about Zeller not getting 30 minutes per game because he's not an upside guy. I think 20-25 minutes per game is his ceiling. I don't see him developing past that.

Onto the PF spot, I think Sullinger is the one young big we have with upside. If he can get his weight under control he could be a player. I expect him to be one of the PFs with Jerebko being the other. Jerebko fits Stevens system pretty well with his ability to stretch the floor and handle the ball well for a PF and while he isn't a great individual defender, he does a serviceable job within the team concept. How the playing time here is divided up depends on Sullinger. If he really emerges then he'll get the bulk of the playing time. If his conditioning continues to be an issue, it will be closer to an even split.

So to start the season, I see Olynyk as the odd man out. I think he's a guy who might find a tough time fitting in on a team. He's not really athletic enough to step out and guard 4s in today's NBA, but he's too weak to guard 5s or protect the rim. He came into the NBA as a poor rebounder but regressed in that area last year. Offensiveily he has some skills, but he has to be GREAT to overshadow his weaknesses in the rest of the game.

Just because he starts the year out of the main rotation doesn't mean he won't play though. If anyone gets hurt, he assumes their role in the rotation and gets the chance to not let them have it back. If one of those guys struggles, BOS isn't committed to any of them long-term so none of them have a stranglehold on the job. Olynyk could unseat them with strong practice of his own or poor performance from them.

Another factor to consider is trades. Both Sully and Zeller are headed for restricted free agency after the season. I'm not sure either of them are worth investing in long-term if when the cap goes up people start throwing around stupid money. It's a virtual certainty that Ainge won't commit to both long-term because I don't see Sully putting it all together and like I said I think Zeller is just a 20-25 mpg player. You don't need to lock valuable cap space up on too many guys like that. So I'd hardly be shocked to see one of these guys moved mid-season. That would open up a spot for Olynyk.

We could also swing a trade right now. In order to clear up the situation at PG-SF I think one of Avery Bradley, or more likely Evan Turner, will be moved. Olynyk could be included in that deal to try and bring a greater return. Bradley's deal looks like an overpayment but ~$8 mil for an all-defense caliber 25-30 mpg guard that can defend both spots will be a lot more attractive on next year's market so I think they'll hold onto him until then. That means Turner has to go to open up a spot for James Young, a player they took in the 1st last year that they're very high on. Turner at $3.4 mil (and expiring) is easy to move, even if you have to give up a couple 2nd rounders for someone to take him on.

So when it's all said and done I expect them to open with a main rotation of…

Thomas/Rozier
Smart/Bradley
Crowder/Young
Sullinger/Olynyk
Johnson/Zeller

Phil Pressey will be the injury replacement at PG. Rookie R.J. Hunter will be their injury replacement at wing (could also be the indirect replacement at PG if Smart shifts back there). Olynyk will be the injury replacement at PF/C. Gerald Wallace will be the 14th guy on the roster while we wait for his deal to expire. 2nd rounder Jordan Mickey probably takes the last spot (or C Colton Iverson from overseas as the top competition) as an emergency big.

So there you go, that's how I see it shaking out. And I'm happy with that plan. Not in terms of being great this year - we won't be, we'll be about what we were last year. But I like it in the grand scheme of things for us because it keeps a lot of flexibility to ultimately pursue cornerstones. After you get those, you start moving pieces around to make the roster work around them.

KnicksorBust
07-03-2015, 12:58 PM
Like I said, it will be a COMPETITION in training camp for roles. No one is going to be handed anything. If guys can't win their positions in training camp, then so be it. They aren't long-term pieces anyway if that's the case. I can give you my best guess if that will make you happy…

I believe the Celtics offense will feature a LOT of pick and roll next year. That's why I believe they took Terry Rozier at #16. Pick and roll is his game. Isiah Thomas is one of the better pick and roll scorers in the NBA. I believe he will transition back from the 6th man role he played in BOS and PHX to the starting PG spot he occupied in SAC before last season. Rozier will be the backup PG. I think Smart will be transitioned from the PG spot to SG. The weakness on him coming out was supposed to be his 3 point shot but he actually played really well in that area last season. He had a poor shooting percentage last year but it wasn't 3s that were the problem. He shot 34% from 3 which isn't bad especially for someone who can play the kind of defense he does. His offensive struggles came in the rest of his game. I think he projects better as a SG where he won't have as many primary ball handler responsibilities.

The reason why I bring that up in relation to the bigs is because I think the pick and roll is a big reason why they signed Amir. He's one of the better bigs at that in the NBA once you get past the obvious top tier guys. That's a niche skill he has. He's also the best rim protector on the team, FAR better than anyone else (not saying a ton but still, you asked what he adds to the rotation). Tyler Zeller is also a guy who specializes in the pick and roll. So for that reason, I believe the two of them will split the C spot at about an even 24 minute apiece split. I'm not worried about Zeller not getting 30 minutes per game because he's not an upside guy. I think 20-25 minutes per game is his ceiling. I don't see him developing past that.

Onto the PF spot, I think Sullinger is the one young big we have with upside. If he can get his weight under control he could be a player. I expect him to be one of the PFs with Jerebko being the other. Jerebko fits Stevens system pretty well with his ability to stretch the floor and handle the ball well for a PF and while he isn't a great individual defender, he does a serviceable job within the team concept. How the playing time here is divided up depends on Sullinger. If he really emerges then he'll get the bulk of the playing time. If his conditioning continues to be an issue, it will be closer to an even split.

So to start the season, I see Olynyk as the odd man out. I think he's a guy who might find a tough time fitting in on a team. He's not really athletic enough to step out and guard 4s in today's NBA, but he's too weak to guard 5s or protect the rim. He came into the NBA as a poor rebounder but regressed in that area last year. Offensiveily he has some skills, but he has to be GREAT to overshadow his weaknesses in the rest of the game.

Just because he starts the year out of the main rotation doesn't mean he won't play though. If anyone gets hurt, he assumes their role in the rotation and gets the chance to not let them have it back. If one of those guys struggles, BOS isn't committed to any of them long-term so none of them have a stranglehold on the job. Olynyk could unseat them with strong practice of his own or poor performance from them.

Another factor to consider is trades. Both Sully and Zeller are headed for restricted free agency after the season. I'm not sure either of them are worth investing in long-term if when the cap goes up people start throwing around stupid money. It's a virtual certainty that Ainge won't commit to both long-term because I don't see Sully putting it all together and like I said I think Zeller is just a 20-25 mpg player. You don't need to lock valuable cap space up on too many guys like that. So I'd hardly be shocked to see one of these guys moved mid-season. That would open up a spot for Olynyk.

We could also swing a trade right now. In order to clear up the situation at PG-SF I think one of Avery Bradley, or more likely Evan Turner, will be moved. Olynyk could be included in that deal to try and bring a greater return. Bradley's deal looks like an overpayment but ~$8 mil for an all-defense caliber 25-30 mpg guard that can defend both spots will be a lot more attractive on next year's market so I think they'll hold onto him until then. That means Turner has to go to open up a spot for James Young, a player they took in the 1st last year that they're very high on. Turner at $3.4 mil (and expiring) is easy to move, even if you have to give up a couple 2nd rounders for someone to take him on.

Thomas/Rozier
Smart/Bradley
Crowder/Young
Sullinger/Olynyk
Johnson/Zeller

Phil Pressey will be the injury replacement at PG. Rookie R.J. Hunter will be their injury replacement at wing (could also be the indirect replacement at PG if Smart shifts back there). Olynyk will be the injury replacement at PF/C. Gerald Wallace will be the 14th guy on the roster while we wait for his deal to expire. 2nd rounder Jordan Mickey probably takes the last spot (or C Colton Iverson from overseas as the top competition) as an emergency big.

So there you go, that's how I see it shaking out. And I'm happy with that plan. Not in terms of being great this year - we won't be, we'll be about what we were last year. But I like it in the grand scheme of things for us because it keeps a lot of flexibility to ultimately pursue cornerstones. After you get those, you start moving pieces around to make the roster work around them.

Love the detailed response. Don't want to give a half-assed reply after you gave a real answer so I will tackle this after I get some yard work done.

KnicksorBust
07-03-2015, 03:16 PM

There is nothing wrong with having a competition in training camp. However you have 5 guys that are all rotation bigs and maybe 1 of them could be described as an average starter. Maybe. 1. That's not a recipe for success.

I think you are very optimistic about the #16 pick of the NBA draft but interesting read about your backcourt.

The reason why I bring that up in relation to the bigs is because I think the pick and roll is a big reason why they signed Amir. He's one of the better bigs at that in the NBA once you get past the obvious top tier guys. That's a niche skill he has.

This may surprise you but I will agree with you here. I like Amir Johnson. I vaguely remember having him on one of my redraft teams. I called him a "slasher/hustle/high efficiency double digit scorer." He would fit nicely in a pick and roll offense. If you think he's a long-term, two-way big man who fits your pick and roll style offense then why sign him to a 2 year deal with an option and not a 4 year deal?

He's also the best rim protector on the team, FAR better than anyone else (not saying a ton but still, you asked what he adds to the rotation).

If you think he's the best rim protector on the team then why sign him to a 2 year deal with an option and not a 4 year deal?

Tyler Zeller is also a guy who specializes in the pick and roll. So for that reason, I believe the two of them will split the C spot at about an even 24 minute apiece split. I'm not worried about Zeller not getting 30 minutes per game because he's not an upside guy. I think 20-25 minutes per game is his ceiling. I don't see him developing past that.

Here is where my argument begins to become more clear. Think about this, you are paying $12 million per year for a one-dimensional scorer who can't creak his own shot and to your own admission will be playing only half a game. That doesn't strike you as a mistake?

I agree with this paragraph. You gave legitimate reasons to play both of them and how to split the time.

Here again is another opportunity where my argument becomes stronger. You have now decided that Olynyk is the odd man out. This is a player who had the most impressive on/off court production on the entire team last year. The Celtics were +7.7 with him on and -4.0 with him off the court. That's a huge impact. He's only 24 and he was the 13th overall pick in the draft and he's already gotten bumped out of the rotation because of $17 million dollars being spent this season on Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko. There is something wrong with that.

If one of those players is traded and returns good value and the rotation suddenly fits then sure I will come on PSD that day message you "nice trade." But the idea that signing a 5th big man because you might make a good trade later to unclog that log jam isn't logical to me.

Thomas/Rozier
Smart/Bradley
Crowder/Young
Sullinger/Olynyk
Johnson/Zeller

I think that team has an extremely low ceiling, 0 all-stars, and will leave you in the middle of the draft where you will most likely get more low impact players. That is my central argument.

Seems you like the depth of the roster. Okay.

I get your perspective. The team is young. You have nice pieces. They seem to fit together pretty well. I was extremely impressed with how they overachieved this season. But I don't see the short term or long term value of your FA moves. Spending $17 million on Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko does not significantly improve your team's future. Look forward to hearing your reply.

RaginRondo17
07-03-2015, 03:18 PM
People are acting like those Brooklyn picks aren't going to be good. Brooklyn going to have a tough time of it the next couple years IMO.

Gormans Mic
07-03-2015, 03:37 PM

You should stop watching basketball, you clearly have zero idea what you are looking at. Johnson is actually a very good player, the only risk is injury. He's a very solid player. He's a guy his teammates and everyone who watches his team play everyday love. Its a team option 2nd year. Meaning he is also now a valuable trade asset. Calm the **** down, nothing you have said is correct. Wtf said we're getting Aldrige and....KOBE?!?!? The ****?

hugepatsfan
07-03-2015, 04:16 PM
There is nothing wrong with having a competition in training camp. However you have 5 guys that are all rotation bigs and maybe 1 of them could be described as an average starter. Maybe. 1. That's not a recipe for success.

Absolutely not, I agree. But the Celtics are still a roster in transition. They're not putting together a team to compete. They're putting together a placeholder team that won't hurt their long-term flexibility.

I think you are very optimistic about the #16 pick of the NBA draft but interesting read about your backcourt.

I'm not saying Rozier is going to be anything great. I just think he's going to be the backup PG. Thomas played 26 mpg for BOS last year but his last year in SAC he played 34.7. I think he'll split the difference between that next year and be a 30 mpg player. That leaves 18 minutes per game for Rozier as the backup PG. Maybe Smart still plays 5 minutes or so a night there in some situations so it could be even less. Just watching Smart last year I really think he's better off at SG in Stevens' offense next to someone who runs the pick and roll better. I could be wrong and they keep Smart at PG and Rozier rots on the bench as the 3rd guy.

This may surprise you but I will agree with you here. I like Amir Johnson. I vaguely remember having him on one of my redraft teams. I called him a "slasher/hustle/high efficiency double digit scorer." He would fit nicely in a pick and roll offense. If you think he's a long-term, two-way big man who fits your pick and roll style offense then why sign him to a 2 year deal with an option and not a 4 year deal?

If you think he's the best rim protector on the team then why sign him to a 2 year deal with an option and not a 4 year deal?

Ainge would rather leave that cap space open for someone who's potentially better. Remember, the 2nd year of this deal is non-guranteed. Same with Jerebko's. Ainge made the decision that he wasn't going to put any more money on the books in future years for outside FAs unless he REALLY liked them. As you go on to say, BOS is stuck in the middle ground. It is what it is. They're going to have land some cornerstone pieces through trade or FA and they want to make sure they have the cap space to facilitate that.

So you have two options if you don't want to commit long-term money. You can sit on the money or you can pursue lower-tier FAs on 1 year deals. That's what Ainge did (technically Johnson and Jerebko are 2 year deals but again, 2nd year is non-guaranteed for both). It's not like BOS can "tank" if they sit on the money because like you've said, they still have rotational pieces. So if they're going to be stuck in the middle ground anyway, they might as well make small-time improvements where you can.

The Celtics lack any sort of defensive presences in the front court and while Johnson isn't perfect, if you shop in the 1 year bargain bin you're not going to get stars. Johnson is a good fit offensively and he somewhat addresses their desperate need for interior defense but I don't think he's so good that you want to lock yourself into him long term and be out of however much money his contract is for (I suspect if he got a long-term deal it would be at less than the $12 mil this one year deal is for). Especially with his history of ankle injuries.

Here is where my argument begins to become more clear. Think about this, you are paying $12 million per year for a one-dimensional scorer who can't creak his own shot and to your own admission will be playing only half a game. That doesn't strike you as a mistake?

If it were a multi-year deal I'd be furious. You can go read my reaction in the BOS forum. Before the info. about the 2nd year being non-guaranteed came out I couldn't even form a sentence I was so mad. :laugh2: But on a 1 year deal, I don't mind. We're stuck in that "middle ground" competing for a 7-8 seed in the East. It is what it is. Ainge didn't want to commit any long-term money. Like I said, you can't be picky when you're not offering lucrative long-term deals. The way I see it, they overpaid him in salary by a little bit so they could limit it to a 1 year guaranteed deal and keep their flexibility. That helps the future of the team (which I care about) but hurts the owner's pockets a little (which I don't care about). So I'm cool with it.

I agree with this paragraph. You gave legitimate reasons to play both of them and how to split the time.

Thank you. I should have included that even with Sullinger's youth, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jerbko emerge as the starter here. He's one of those guys who just "fits" Stevens' system. Every coach has those guys that might not be great individually but they just gel really well in the system. I think Jerebko is one of those guys. Stevens likes to play fast so I think fatty Sullinger is gone if not by trade this year then in FA next year.

Here again is another opportunity where my argument becomes stronger. You have now decided that Olynyk is the odd man out. This is a player who had the most impressive on/off court production on the entire team last year. The Celtics were +7.7 with him on and -4.0 with him off the court. That's a huge impact. He's only 24 and he was the 13th overall pick in the draft and he's already gotten bumped out of the rotation because of $17 million dollars being spent this season on Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko. There is something wrong with that.

That's interesting. I wasn't aware of those numbers. I will say though that +/- can sometimes be misleading. Like I said before it will be a competition. He'll have the chance to hold off any of those guys for his spot. Sully and Zeller are RFAs after the year and Johnson/Jerebko have non-guaranteed deals. Olynyk himself has a team option on his rookie deal. No one is guaranteed anything.

If one of those players is traded and returns good value and the rotation suddenly fits then sure I will come on PSD that day message you "nice trade." But the idea that signing a 5th big man because you might make a good trade later to unclog that log jam isn't logical to me.

Fair point. Rim protector and wing scoring are the two glaring holes on the team though so I think Ainge just decided that if he wanted to add something to those areas if he could. I think we seem to agree that Johnson has a place. It seems to be signing the second guy in Jerebko that is questionable to you. I felt that way at first but then I just thought bout how I think he really fits Stevens' scheme well. It's not my money so if you want to spend $5 mil on him to fill out the roster rather than some vet. min. scrub then I won't complain.

I think that team has an extremely low ceiling, 0 all-stars, and will leave you in the middle of the draft where you will most likely get more low impact players. That is my central argument.

Agreed but I don't see how that has anything to do with the issue of their Johnson/Jerebko signings. They tried to spend the cap on stars - if Love or Aldridge wanted to be in BOS they would. They even tried talking to a mid-tier guy like Tobias Harris but they wanted him on their terms so they backed out of talks.

Seems you like the depth of the roster. Okay.

Yeah I think they at least have some intriguing guys rounding it out. Obviously you don't expect anything out of your 11th-15th guys but I like when I can at least pretend like maybe one day they develop into a 10th man.

I get your perspective. The team is young. You have nice pieces. They seem to fit together pretty well. I was extremely impressed with how they overachieved this season. But I don't see the short term or long term value of your FA moves. Spending $17 million on Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko does not significantly improve your team's future. Look forward to hearing your reply.

I don't think it was about improving the future. It was just about signing guys you liked for now so you can try again next year with the big FAs. Reading through your post, I'm not sure but it seems to me that you're under the impression that Johnson/Jerebko got guaranteed 2nd years.