PDA

View Full Version : Cavs and Tristan Thompson nearing $80M+ deal

Stunner
07-01-2015, 02:29 PM
@ESPNSteinLine: ESPN sources tell @WindhorstESPN & I that Cavs and Tristan Thompson are nearing agreement on deal that will pay the RFA in excess of $80 mil

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2015, 02:32 PM
Gross. It pays to be Lebrons freind.

shep33
07-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Happy Canada Day!

RLundi
07-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Terrible contract. They're gonna regret that as early as next season.

Alayla
07-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Woah what!

shep33
07-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Love is coming back to Cleveland too

Which is weird. Two PF's for max money on the same squad?

RLundi
07-01-2015, 02:39 PM
Love is coming back to Cleveland too

Which is weird. Two PF's for max money on the same squad?

Don't forget about LeBron.

Gotta love those Bird Rights.

Stunner
07-01-2015, 02:39 PM
80 mill to rebound

WITZ
07-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Ugh overpay but the cavs can't use that cap elsewhere. So if Gilbert is willing to open up the pockets im ok with it.

valade16
07-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Including Kevin Love the Cavs have now spent $220 Million on 3 big men (Love, TT, Varejao) and still have to sign Mozgov.

That is a lot of dough.

2-ONE-5
07-01-2015, 02:41 PM
somewhere Reggie Evans is wondering why he never teamed with James

shep33
07-01-2015, 02:42 PM
That's insane. 200 mil for Love and Thompson?

GiantsSwaGG
07-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Is Isiah Thomas running the Cavs?

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, this is how you ruin a contending team.

WITZ
07-01-2015, 02:45 PM

Lol you bring up cap going up in the heat thread ,but when the cavs overpay its ruining a team nice one :laugh2:

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Lol you bring up cap going up in the heat thread ,but when the cavs overpay its ruining a team nice one :laugh2:

The Cavs are gonna be capped by the time the cap rises lmao.

And paying Dragic 90 is not even remotely equal paying Thompson 80.

WITZ
07-01-2015, 02:53 PM

Its a good thing TT is 24 and we arent' overpaying a 30 year old in that case :laugh2:

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Its a good thing TT is 24 and we arent' overpaying a 30 year old in that case :laugh2:

It's a good thing we didn't pay a bench player 80 million dollars that's good at one thing and committed 190 million to a single position.

Lo Porto
07-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Thompson at PF and Love at C. It works

numba1CHANGsta
07-01-2015, 03:00 PM

LOL gtfo

WITZ
07-01-2015, 03:01 PM
It's a good thing we didn't pay a bench player 80 million dollars that's good at one thing and committed 190 million to a single position.

Perks of not having a cheap owner, not my money if he wants to overpay to keep a key part of the team not my problem.

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-01-2015, 03:03 PM

Lmao yup it works great for the opposing team.

ManRam
07-01-2015, 03:03 PM
THis one I will say what I've been hesitant to say all along: this is an overpay.

But hey, they're gonna be WAY over the cap anyways, even after next summer's CBA (LeBron's contract). The only person this impacts is Gilbert. He'll just have to spend more money. But in the short term this won't hurt their chances to sign anyone else, because they're inevitably over the cap regardless.

MinnesotaFtw
07-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Did you guys not watch the playoffs? TT is a BEAST on the boards and a good defender. He is only going to get better. I can see him developing a little bit of a range, and just imagine what that's going to do. Cavs wouldn't of been able to spend the money elsewhere. Now they have flexibility when it comes to lineups. Play TT at C or PF. Play KLove at PF or C. Moz at C, Varejao at C. They are DEEP in the front court now, and if they can swing a trade for Haywood for some backcourt depth, watch out.

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-01-2015, 03:06 PM
Perks of not having a cheap owner, not my money if he wants to overpay to keep a key part of the team not my problem.

That's not the problem. The problem is by the time you sign the rest of your FA and give Mozgov his contract, which by comparison to TT would be worth 150 million, the Cavs will not be able to take advantage of the rising cap. While everyone is adding talent to their team, the Cavs are gonna be stuck with the same squad.

Wade n Fade
07-01-2015, 03:06 PM
I guess Lebron won't be leaving the Cavs because I was banking on Love leaving.

Vee-Rex
07-01-2015, 03:09 PM
That's not the problem. The problem is by the time you sign the rest of your FA and give Mozgov his contract, which by comparison to TT would be worth 150 million, the Cavs will not be able to take advantage of the rising cap. While everyone is adding talent to their team, the Cavs are gonna be stuck with the same squad.

As long as the squad is contending (and there's no indication we won't be), I'm fine with it.

WITZ
07-01-2015, 03:11 PM

And that's a bad thing why?? Kyrie 23, Love 26 , TT 24 & lebron 30 what a horrible core to be stuck with lol.

Kyben36
WAY WAY WAY overpaid. although, i think most resignings have been overpaid, maybe i just undervalue players.

Teeboy1487

I disagree. This is how you keep your core together until the wheels fall off. I didn't think the Cavs would have the balls to max out both Love and Thompson. I bet Lebron is next. He should be happy with these moves. Cavs will be contending for years especially in the East.

MinnesotaFtw
07-01-2015, 03:13 PM

But most of their guys are young. Tristan is 24, Kevin is 26, Kyrie is 23. Then don't they also get the MLE or mini MLE? They can add a decent role player every year with that right? Only one who is going to decline is LeBron and who knows when that will happen, at least the next 3-4 years they should be in the Finals.

Jarvo
07-01-2015, 03:14 PM
"That's a bold move, Let's see how it works out"

That's a horrible damn deal. I'm not against these dudes trying to get every dollar and penny they can get but damn these guys gotta put their foot down and say no!

And this just makes me even more mad seeing dudes who are 6'8 and taller not playing ball, Shiiiiddd I'll sit my tall *** on the bench all gawd damn day to make $800,000 a year

MinnesotaFtw
Tristan Kyrie and Kevin are only going to get better playing together.

HuRRiCaNeS324
As long as the squad is contending (and there's no indication we won't be), I'm fine with it.

And that's a bad thing why?? Kyrie 23, Love 26 , TT 24 & lebron 30 what a horrible core to be stuck with lol.

Because regardless of what you homers think, the Cavs aren't that good of a team.

Vee-Rex
07-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Tristan Kyrie and Kevin are only going to get better playing together.

You're the most logical person in this thread.

WITZ
07-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Because regardless of what you homers think, the Cavs aren't that good of a team.

Homers lmao what have i said that was being a homer? If the cavs aren't that great of a team ,i would love to hear what you think about the heat :laugh:

Rivera
07-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Puke

Wade n Fade
07-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Fire Blatt, get away from Shumpert and JR Brick, build your bench, then you're talking Cleveland.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-01-2015, 03:19 PM
Lawl

Kyben36
07-01-2015, 03:19 PM
how far into lux tax will they be going when the have to pay lebron on top of all this Love and Thompson stuff.

AKA TheMamba
07-01-2015, 03:20 PM
max lebron, max kyrie, max love, and close to max thompson... Varejaio @10million/year... better win ship with those type of salary committments.

2-ONE-5
07-01-2015, 03:20 PM

sikeeeee

lakerboy
07-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Wow. Max for Lebron, Irving, Tristan, Love.

Vinny642
07-01-2015, 03:26 PM
LMAO horrendous deal

MinnesotaFtw
07-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Fire Blatt, get away from Shumpert and JR Brick, build your bench, then you're talking Cleveland.

They have to retain shump and JR because they don't have the cap to get anyone else. JR off the bench next year will be a good start, and Shump can be a lockdown defender. They need to get some more 3 point shooting, though. Some ring chasers.

Lo Porto
07-01-2015, 03:31 PM
LOL gtfo

Draymond can and Love can't? Interesting....

This move is made for the playoffs and mismatches

Confusious
07-01-2015, 03:35 PM
I love him, but holy **** that's bad. I hope that salary cap rises REALLY fast if this is the case.

THE MTL
07-01-2015, 03:41 PM
They should have let him walk. His skillset is replaceable with cheaper options. Also if cavs had a healthy Love, I doubt Thompson's playoff performance wouldn't have been as good as it was

Kyben36
07-01-2015, 03:44 PM
max lebron, max kyrie, max love, and close to max thompson... Varejaio @10million/year... better win ship with those type of salary committments.

also have to pay JR Smtih (or find a replacement) and Mozgov (who was huge for them) they are already unlikely to sign Shumpert

Scoots
07-01-2015, 03:52 PM
When they re-sign Moz they will have 5 near max players.

With these deals and the cap holds for the not yet signed players are they already over the projected cap for next year? They are right?

Would have been more interesting if they had traded Thompson to Magic for Harris.

Vinylman
07-01-2015, 04:09 PM

no they aren't ... there isn't one deal they are signing that can't be traded... their only risk is injuries...

I am gonna LMFAO when it isn't working next year and Cleveland ships Love's arse out to some shitehole

mngopher35
07-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Ya the cavs overpaid here but I think it is for the best. It's better to overpay tt than not pay him and still have no money to sign a replacement. This way they can go into next season with basically the same team that ended out the year so strong and may have won a title if not injured.

I think it is worth being in cap hell for a few years to keep this group and try for a title.

beasted86
07-01-2015, 04:37 PM
It only looks bad to me because they signed Varejao to a huge extension and these guys have similar skills and limitations.

Assuming they resigned Love and Mozgov, Varejao is a complete waste who will be hard to trade with his injury problems.

Wade n Fade
07-01-2015, 04:47 PM
They have to retain shump and JR because they don't have the cap to get anyone else. JR off the bench next year will be a good start, and Shump can be a lockdown defender. They need to get some more 3 point shooting, though. Some ring chasers.

I think their mmle and vets min/contender's discount could get guys that produce the same as JR and Shump without going too deep into the cap. Remember, Ray Allen is sitting out there. JR Smith just is not worth having on a roster because of his lack of consistency and his plethora of bad decision making. Shump is not worth it because he is just a one dimensional defensive player that cannot shoot, but you can argue to bring him back because of his age. Dunleavy was the best bet for Lebron imo.

nastynice
07-01-2015, 04:50 PM

At the end of the day, all the cavs have to do is win one playoff series. However good or bad they are, they are clearly the best team in the east. Who even comes close? Hawks have a nice thing going on, but they need to find that one guy who's gonna step up and control the game in crunch time. Bulls got a good thing going on, but they kept getting injured and now lost probably the best thing about their team, the coach. Heat used to be good with lebron, he left and now they're a completely pathetic joke of a team. Raptors always fall off the earth in the playoffs. Who else is there?

All the cavs have to do is make a squad who can win one playoff series against the WCF champs. The first three rounds they could just put lebron in with the bench and steamroll anyone in the east.

Wade n Fade
07-01-2015, 04:58 PM
It only looks bad to me because they signed Varejao to a huge extension and these guys have similar skills and limitations.

Assuming they resigned Love and Mozgov, Varejao is a complete waste who will be hard to trade with his injury problems.

Keep in mind, Varajao is their UD. He's been there since the turn of the century pretty much. He nearly had one all star season too. That's Lebron's guy. Can't cut him. They can only hope to convert him to an assistant coach under whatever coach that's leading the team at the time. Miami did that with Juwan Howard and it paid dividends rather than have him sitting on an actual roster spot. Gotta tread lightly with a guy who has all the power because it's very volatile if anything.

Munkeysuit
07-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Worth every penny...only real basketball fans will understand/ appreciate this move by the Cavs.

prodigy
07-01-2015, 05:19 PM

when Love goes down again and thomspon is puting up double doubles every game as starter? lol, dont think they will regret that.

I mean this is the life of the NBA now guys. Carrol got 15mill a year lol, in a couple years this contract wont be bad at all.

beasted86
07-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Keep in mind, Varajao is their UD. He's been there since the turn of the century pretty much. He nearly had one all star season too. That's Lebron's guy. Can't cut him. They can only hope to convert him to an assistant coach under whatever coach that's leading the team at the time. Miami did that with Juwan Howard and it paid dividends rather than have him sitting on an actual roster spot. Gotta tread lightly with a guy who has all the power because it's very volatile if anything.
Haslem got $2.7M last summer and will make 2.8 next year.

Varejao will make $9.6M next year, and is almost fully guaranteed $9.3M out of a possible 10.3M the year after next.

There's rewarding guys for loyalty/chemistry reasons, and then there's throwing money away. This is the latter.

prodigy
07-01-2015, 05:25 PM

Varejao will make $9.6M next year, and is almost fully guaranteed $9.3M out of a possible 10.3M the year after next.

There's rewarding guys for loyalty/chemistry reasons, and then there's throwing money away. This is the latter.

well he was healthy when cavs gave him that deal. not only healthy but playing very well. He played his best ball the year after lebron left. He got hurt of course but injuries suck. contract looked fine at the time, in hindsight yup it sucks.

prodigy
07-01-2015, 05:32 PM
no they aren't ... there isn't one deal they are signing that can't be traded... their only risk is injuries...

I am gonna LMFAO when it isn't working next year and Cleveland ships Love's arse out to some shitehole

I cant see any possible way that it wont work out lol. I mean they finished the season 33-3. They figured out how to play together and it showed. i expect that to continue. I'm not sure how that can even be argued. I guess u can say injuries but thats any team.

beasted86
07-01-2015, 05:36 PM
well he was healthy when cavs gave him that deal. not only healthy but playing very well. He played his best ball the year after lebron left. He got hurt of course but injuries suck. contract looked fine at the time, in hindsight yup it sucks.

He's been injury prone since LeBron left.

I don't have time to look it up, but I would guess missing 40 games on average over the last 4 years.

MonroeFAN
07-01-2015, 05:37 PM

Because one of them puts up fancy numbers on a crappy team and the other is a fundamentally sound defender and rebounder?

I wouldn't pay either of them.

Wade n Fade
07-01-2015, 05:38 PM

Well, you gotta take into account that Varejao played very well enough to earn his money prior to his latest set back. Big men are overpaid anyways since most rebound and just play D and provide occasional scoring options. I think it was a bad deal that will hurt the Cavs. If Gilbert doesn't sell the team at their peak (winning a title) or near peak (now), then he's screwed once Bron leaves or retires.

prodigy
07-01-2015, 05:38 PM
He's been injury prone since LeBron left.

I don't have time to look it up, but I would guess missing 40 games on average over the last 4 years.

duh lol.

prodigy
07-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Well, you gotta take into account that Varejao played very well enough to earn his money prior to his latest set back. Big men are overpaid anyways since most rebound and just play D and provide occasional scoring options. I think it was a bad deal that will hurt the Cavs. If Gilbert doesn't sell the team at their peak (winning a title) or near peak (now), then he's screwed once Bron leaves or retires.

Gilbert wont sell. why would he? i mean thats why you invest in good players. Kyrie, Love, thompson, Moz, bring in a good player to take lebrons spot i mean thats not a bad team.

LA_Raiders
07-01-2015, 05:40 PM
4 player making 20M on the team?

WITZ
07-01-2015, 05:50 PM
On a side note Draymond probably broke off contract talks with GS when he saw TT contract :laugh2:

Wade n Fade
07-01-2015, 07:01 PM
Gilbert wont sell. why would he? i mean thats why you invest in good players. Kyrie, Love, thompson, Moz, bring in a good player to take lebrons spot i mean thats not a bad team.

He can make like so much from how much he invested by paying Gund. And imagine how much the team is worth after the TV deal? Cleveland is too volatile IMO so I would sell when it's the right time.

beasted86
07-01-2015, 07:09 PM
duh lol.

Yeah, my point is the contract did not look "fine at the time".

Anyway, moot point if Gilbert is willing to pay crazy taxes and overpay backups $10M who will see 15 minutes a night.

This is what keeps LeBron happy.

bucketss
07-01-2015, 07:10 PM
lol cavs with 4 players pretty much maxed out, and A. v off the bench making 10 mill.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Its a smart over pay.... Cavs cant use the money elsewhere but can over pay to keep their own guys.

JasonJohnHorn
07-01-2015, 07:59 PM

It's not so bad. It's five years, not four, so it's not like they are paying him 20 mil per.

16 millions seems like a lot with the CURRENT salary cap, but next year when it pops up to 95 millions (or whatever ridiculous number it's going to), he's going to be making 17% of the cap, which leaves leaves enough room to give similar contracts to 6 or 7 guys.

It's a smart move to make this deal now when that still looks like a lot of money.

Jamiecballer
07-01-2015, 08:12 PM
80 mill to rebound
Lol, short and to the point

Jamiecballer
07-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Cavs wouldn't of been able to spend the money elsewhere.

Probably could have stopped here

*Silver&Black*
07-01-2015, 08:16 PM
4 player making 20M on the team?

Plus 2 on 10 mil contracts, and more to come from Mr. Dan 'don't let Lakers get Paul, poor small market' Gilbert.

And good for you so called 'best player in the world', you need a team that cost $100 mil more than any other to win.

LA_Raiders
07-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Do they still have money for LeQuit?

*Silver&Black*
07-01-2015, 08:29 PM
What is Lebron's cap hold? The early bird rights thing while over the cap is confusing.

Would be funny if he leaves them.

WITZ
07-01-2015, 08:40 PM
What is Lebron's cap hold? The early bird rights thing while over the cap is confusing.

Would be funny if he leaves them.

Yea he will go to the lakers just like Kyrie, Love, Butler, Lamarcus where suppose to :laugh2:

*Silver&Black*
07-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Yea he will go to the lakers just like Kyrie, Love, Butler, Lamarcus where suppose to :laugh2:

Don't forget KD 2016!

Ty Fast
07-02-2015, 12:26 AM
They should start TT at C and Love at PF. I really like the moves for the Cavs.

Stunner
07-02-2015, 01:12 PM
@WindhorstESPN: After progress was made yesterday, Cavs & Tristan Thompson are currently still apart on contract talks, sources told ESPN.

KB24PG16
07-02-2015, 01:45 PM
cavs about to be capped out even when the cap rises lol