PDA

View Full Version : Not a single F given by Pop

Clippersfan86
07-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Paraphrased when asked what he will do to lure players at midnight: "I'll be asleep, WTF you think? If I have to beg for these guys to come to the Spurs, I don't want them".

Next day Pop wakes up at a reasonable hour and immediately gets to work. Dumps Splitter on his former assistant and signs Green to a pretty big discount deal.

Prediction on how his meeting with Aldridge will go? Walk into room for 30 seconds, awkwardly stare at Aldridge, then walk out. Shortly after Pop is informed that Aldridge has signed.

On a serious note... Aldridge under Pop will be really scary. Aldridge has never had a good coach.

Hawkeye15
07-01-2015, 12:17 PM
I love Pop. He is literally the reason I stopped hating SA a number of years ago.

NYKnickFanatic
07-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Pop is GOAT.

Byronicle
07-01-2015, 12:26 PM
You gotta love the guy for not being a sell out and just focused on the team and winning.

chrislu31
07-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Don't watch too much Spurs, but would you really consider Danny Green a discount at 10+m per year for 4 years?

NYKnickFanatic
07-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Don't watch too much Spurs, but would you really consider Danny Green a discount at 10+m per year for 4 years?

Carroll just got 4 years 60 mil lol

Clippersfan86
07-01-2015, 12:36 PM

Yup. With cap jump almost all projections were in 13-15 range. Carroll just got 15 being a very similar player.

AllBall
07-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Pop gonna Pop. lol

Hawkeye15
07-01-2015, 12:42 PM

no but I think everyone is overpaid

MonroeFAN
07-01-2015, 12:46 PM
I feel like he blew his load pretty quickly, tbh.

AlexTmz2
07-01-2015, 12:52 PM
At the end of the day, its all business.

AlexTmz2
07-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Marc J. Spears
@SpearsNBAYahoo

One NBA exec on DeMarre Carroll’s four-year, $60M deal from Toronto: “They got to overpay. It’s not a desirable market and then the taxes."

Lo Porto
07-01-2015, 12:54 PM
There is no logic to Green taking only $45 over 4 years. I understand hometown discount, but left $10 million on the table. I swear SA pays players off the books. And let me guess, Aldridge will take less than the max. You heard it here first.

flea
07-01-2015, 12:57 PM
There is no logic to Green taking only $45 over 4 years. I understand hometown discount, but left $10 million on the table. I swear SA pays players off the books. And let me guess, Aldridge will take less than the max. You heard it here first.

Accusing people of paying players on the side is rich coming from a guy with a Crimson Tide avatar.

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Marc J. Spears
@SpearsNBAYahoo

One NBA exec on DeMarre Carroll’s four-year, $60M deal from Toronto: “They got to overpay. It’s not a desirable market and then the taxes."

No **** he has to live in Canada during the hell months of winter up there [emoji1]

AllBall
07-01-2015, 12:59 PM

Never understood people being upset that someone else is not greedy for money.

Muttman73
07-01-2015, 01:02 PM
San Antonio is nice city to live in and a great team to play for. Most people don't get that, hope LMA signs, not surprised at all by what Danny Green signed for. I'm a Bulls fan from birth, but I admire the Spurs and how they run their organization.

kubernetes
07-01-2015, 01:07 PM

How's this for a pitch: "Sign here for less, and in four years you'll play in at least two WCFs and one Final, with a damn good chance to get that ring."

AlexTmz2
07-01-2015, 01:07 PM
David Aldridge: Asked Danny Green why he’s staying in SA. His answer: “the family.” Don’t know if that’s Spurs or blood…which explains why SA keeps guys.

kdspurman
07-01-2015, 01:08 PM
" I'm not calling anyone at midnight. I'll be in bed. And if that's the difference in someone coming or not coming, then I don't want them."

Exact quote...

AlexTmz2
07-01-2015, 01:19 PM
At the very least, the Spurs will now return a core that's won an NBA championship, with the possibility of adding one of the 20 best players in league. The Spurs will never go away.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/rest-nba-terrified-spurs-doing-163937057.html

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-01-2015, 01:25 PM
David Aldridge: Asked Danny Green why he’s staying in SA. His answer: “the family.” Don’t know if that’s Spurs or blood…which explains why SA keeps guys.

They are like the mafia of the NBA lol

AlexTmz2
07-01-2015, 01:31 PM
^ lol

Lo Porto
07-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Accusing people of paying players on the side is rich coming from a guy with a Crimson Tide avatar.

We give scholarships and title promises

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2015, 01:49 PM
You have to remember the tax issue. Carrol and Green will take home the same amount of money. One will be praised for his "sacrifice", and the other will be regarded as over paid. At the end of day, it's not what you sign for, its what you take home.

All pop has to tell his players is "go sign in california or new york and see 14 percent of your pay dissappear. Or stay here for a "reduced" (wink wink) rate, and we can bring in more players and feed them the same pitch.

Lo Porto
07-01-2015, 01:49 PM
Never understood people being upset that someone else is not greedy for money.

It's not greed, it's logic. Green could get $14-15 per. He took $11. He passed on more money than his entire last contract. Makes zero sense. SA could have figured out $14 per. Maybe they did...😄

crewfan13
07-01-2015, 01:55 PM
You have to remember the tax issue. Carrol and Green will take home the same amount of money. One will be praised for his "sacrifice", and the other will be regarded as over paid.

All pop has to tell his players is "go sign in california or new york and see 14 percent of your pay dissappear. Or stay here for a "reduced" (wink wink) rate, and we can bring in more players and feed them the same pitch.

The thing is that the actual money at that point doesn't matter for them. Its more about the repuatation of what you're paid. Smart players with no ego can figure out how much actual money they make, but more than anything, I think guys like saying how much their contract is worth. You never really hear people talking about their take home contract, they talk about that big number. And being the 6th highest paid SG as opposed to the 9th highest paid SG matters to a lot of guys, even if the 9th highest paid guy takes home just as much money.

Muttman73
07-01-2015, 01:59 PM
Not everybody is greedy, money stupid. We all want more, but quality of life matters. Go play for $5M more and lose or take a little less and compete every year. You see it in every sport, every off season, good for you Danny Green.

aman_13
07-01-2015, 01:59 PM
null

It's just as cold in Chicago.

Jayb587
07-01-2015, 02:00 PM
11 mill is fair. he isn't even that good, who the hell would pay this guy 15 mill, extreme waste of money. soon as he gets benched and in pops dog house again, where he always ends up, people will say hes overpaid.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2015, 02:04 PM
The thing is that the actual money at that point doesn't matter for them. Its more about the repuatation of what you're paid. Smart players with no ego can figure out how much actual money they make, but more than anything, I think guys like saying how much their contract is worth. You never really hear people talking about their take home contract, they talk about that big number. And being the 6th highest paid SG as opposed to the 9th highest paid SG matters to a lot of guys, even if the 9th highest paid guy takes home just as much money.
Totally disagree. And my proof is that you constantly see players in Florida and Texas taking "less" then what they should get for the sake of being able to get more players, and getting the same amount of money. Wade, Bosh, Lebron, Haslem, Dirk, Duncan, Parker, Manu, and Green have taken "less". But Lebron won't do that in Ohio. Why do you think? Did he just become greedy? Do you think Green cares about being the 9th highest paid 2 guard? I don't. Money matters