PDA

View Full Version : Who was the last team to implode as drastically as the Portland Trailblazers?

KnicksorBust
06-30-2015, 09:35 PM
The year was 2014 and the Portland Trailblazers had just won 54 games. They had beaten the Houston Rockets in a thrilling 1st round series within Damian Lillard looking like a future star. With a young core and budding chemistry they looked like a legitimate threat in the Western Conference!

PG - Damian Lillard (23)
SG - Wesley Matthews (27)
SF - Nicholas Batum (25)
PF - Lamarcus Aldridge (28)
C - Robin Lopez (25)

Fast forward 1 season and 1 unfortunate Wes Matthews injury and look what is left...Batum has already been traded, Aldridge is about a week from signing with another team, and it looks like Wes and Lopez will leave as well. I doubt next years lineup can even sniff the playoffs. Can anyone think of a comparable situation where a team of young talented players was so quickly and drastically dismantled in one offseason?

GREATNESS ONE
06-30-2015, 09:42 PM
Did they win it all? Is their a dynasty? Our their future hall of gamers?

No one.

Lakers. Kobe and Shaq are the last great team to Implode.

beasted86
06-30-2015, 09:50 PM
Was it two years ago that people were blaming Nate Macmillan?

It's clear some of their core guys just don't have a winning attitude and it clearly wasn't him.

Not sure if it starts with Aldridge or what.

Allphakenny1
06-30-2015, 09:50 PM
They remind me of the 49ers in football. However, none of their young, promising, 20 something players just retired out of the blue. Horrible off season for both teams to say the least.

mrblisterdundee
06-30-2015, 09:57 PM
The year was 2014 and the Portland Trailblazers had just won 54 games. They had beaten the Houston Rockets in a thrilling 1st round series within Damian Lillard looking like a future star. With a young core and budding chemistry they looked like a legitimate threat in the Western Conference!

PG - Damian Lillard (23)
SG - Wesley Matthews (27)
SF - Nicholas Batum (25)
PF - Lamarcus Aldridge (28)
C - Robin Lopez (25)

Fast forward 1 season and 1 unfortunate Wes Matthews injury and look what is left...Batum has already been traded, Aldridge is about a week from signing with another team, and it looks like Wes and Lopez will leave as well. I doubt next years lineup can even sniff the playoffs. Can anyone think of a comparable situation where a team of young talented players was so quickly and drastically dismantled in one offseason?

Besides being in Portland, the Blazers are probably the best-positioned team for free agency, thanks to GM Neil Olshey. With their free agents unsigned, Portland has less than $27 million in payroll, which means more than $40 million in cap space.
It isn't certain that LaMarcus Aldridge is gone. Signing another max-level star is what it would likely take to keep him. Portland could sign that max player, max out Aldridge and still have money left over. It also has bird rights on Wesley Matthews, who hopefully realizes he's not getting max money, or even a long-term deal, after a torn ACL.
Beyond that, they have Damian Lillard, C.J. McCollum, Mason Plumlee, Meyers Leonard and Noah Vonleh all on rookie contracts. Their most expensive contracts right now are Gerald Henderson at $6 million and Chris Kaman at $5 million. Both are capable veterans on value deals.

Cal827
06-30-2015, 09:59 PM
Besides being in Portland, the Blazers are probably the best-positioned team for free agency, thanks to GM Neil Olshey. With their free agents unsigned, Portland has less than $27 million in payroll, which means about $45 million in cap space.
It isn't certain that LaMarcus Aldridge is gone. Signing another max-level star is what it would likely take to keep him. Portland could sign that max player, max out Aldridge and still have money left over. It also has bird rights on Wesley Matthews, who hopefully realizes he's not getting max money, or even a long-term deal, after a torn ACL.
Beyond that, they have Damian Lillard, C.J. McCollum, Mason Plumlee, Meyers Leonard and Noah Vonleh all on rookie contracts. Their most expensive contracts right now are Gerald Henderson at $6 million and Chris Kaman at $5 million. Both are capable veterans on value deals.

That would be the ultimate finger to the NBA though, I will say, if LA baits everyone into going after him, for Portland to sign others, then resigns him :laugh2:... would be hilarious to see, but I thought he said he isn't coming back.

mrblisterdundee
06-30-2015, 10:07 PM
That would be the ultimate finger to the NBA though, I will say, if LA baits everyone into going after him, for Portland to sign others, then resigns him :laugh2:... would be hilarious to see, but I thought he said he isn't coming back.

It didn't come from him, and he refuted it to Olshey. Sure; he could leave. So could Draymond Green. Portland could max both of them out and still have money for a mid-level guy.

J_M_B
06-30-2015, 10:12 PM
It didn't come from him, and he refuted it to Olshey. Sure; he could leave. So could Draymond Green. Portland could max both of them out and still have money for a mid-level guy.

You can't use the mid-level if you're under the cap

mrblisterdundee
06-30-2015, 10:19 PM
You can't use the mid-level if you're under the cap

The Blazers wouldn't be under the cap by the time they max out two players and bring Wesley Matthews back.

GREATNESS ONE
06-30-2015, 10:24 PM
My post is hilarious.

Midnightbottle
06-30-2015, 10:28 PM
Least you think it is.

PowerHouse
06-30-2015, 10:36 PM
I dont think any team imploded more drastically than the '98 Bulls.

/thread

LivinLakers
06-30-2015, 10:40 PM
Nope. MrBlister's post is... Psd should have a class on Capology.

LivinLakers
06-30-2015, 10:42 PM
LeBron and K love should opt out so that they can sign two more Max players and then re-sign K love and LeBron to Max contracts. Yeah that'll work!

Parasyte
06-30-2015, 10:44 PM
Imploded or not, this is one of those times when you wished Brandon Roy was healthy and playing for them. That guy was a cold blooded killer esp down the stretch.

Jamiecballer
06-30-2015, 11:02 PM
I don't understand how or why this is happening honestly. I guess everything hinges on Aldridge and they are acting decisively.

numba1CHANGsta
06-30-2015, 11:13 PM
Cavs when LeBron left them to go play for MIA, LeBron was basically their whole team LOL

BKLYNpigeon
06-30-2015, 11:26 PM
the major player they're losing is Lamarcus Alderage. Who cares... He's an all-star, but you will forget about him in 10 years.

Ty Fast
07-01-2015, 12:29 AM
Portland is sitting pretty. They are gonna have a ton of cap space and i think Lilard is ready to take off. I think guys will come there to play with him. They also have an ower who will spend.

Cal827
07-01-2015, 12:41 AM
Al-Farouq Aminu

valade16
07-01-2015, 12:53 AM
They remind me of the 49ers in football. However, none of their young, promising, 20 something players just retired out of the blue. Horrible off season for both teams to say the least.

My teams are the 49ers and Blazers. :(

This year has sucked for me

xnick5757
07-01-2015, 01:00 AM
49ers

flclfanman
07-01-2015, 01:01 AM
Al-Farouq Aminu

Not at that price :puke:

yasharel
07-01-2015, 01:26 AM
Was it two years ago that people were blaming Nate Macmillan?

It's clear some of their core guys just don't have a winning attitude and it clearly wasn't him.

Not sure if it starts with Aldridge or what.

this here and it does start with Aldridge.

mrblisterdundee
07-01-2015, 02:02 AM
Nope. MrBlister's post is... Psd should have a class on Capology.

So what's your issue with my post? The estimated cap is $67.1 million. The Blazers will have $26.68 million in contracts as of July 1. They have some of the most cap room of any team in the league, along with several talented players on rookie contracts and at least a couple very tradable contracts. They are one of the best-situated teams for free agency.

goingfor28
07-01-2015, 02:10 AM
Mid 2000s clippers when brand left.

PowerHouse
07-01-2015, 02:24 AM

That was the ultimate blessing for the Clips. If they didnt suck like they did after he left then they never would've had the #1 pick who turned into Blake Griffin. And they never would've had CP3 because it was the prospect of playing with Blake that lured in CP3.

goingfor28
07-01-2015, 02:33 AM
That was the ultimate blessing for the Clips. If they didnt suck like they did after he left then they never would've had the #1 pick who turned into Blake Griffin. And they never would've had CP3 because it was the prospect of playing with Blake that lured in CP3.
Of course. But at the time it sucked. Brand recruited Baron to LA then left :laugh2:

JasonJohnHorn
07-01-2015, 06:04 AM
This happens every year.

First, Portland hasn't accomplished anything with this roster. So it's not a drastic implosion.

Second, teams fall out of the playoffs every year. The Pacers have seen a drastic drop this past year (they held it together pretty well, but they are still in the lottery.

The Cavs went from 60 wins to the worst record in the league when LBJ left.

This happens almost every year. Somebody loses a key free agent, they were already a borderline playoff team, and then they dump role players in trades for picks and such.

mudvayne387
07-01-2015, 08:36 AM

Meh not really a good comparison. You carry 53 players in the NFL. If 7 or 8 leave, you can still be competitive as it's much easier to replace them. In the NBA, if you lose 80% of your starting lineup, it takes you from contender to lottery pick in the blink of an eye.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-01-2015, 08:45 AM
Milwaukee Bucks big 3 of Robinson, Allen, Cassell was broken up by Karl after over 50 wins.

KnicksorBust
07-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Besides being in Portland, the Blazers are probably the best-positioned team for free agency, thanks to GM Neil Olshey. With their free agents unsigned, Portland has less than $27 million in payroll, which means more than $40 million in cap space.

Those players are all below average starters. Similar to my Knicks your cap space won't mean anything if you use it to overpay for players that won't create wins for the team. Lillard is all you have.

KnicksorBust
07-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Cavs when LeBron left them to go play for MIA, LeBron was basically their whole team LOL

That team had a 33 year old Jamison, 34 year old Parker, 37 year old Shaq. It's not exactly the young core the Blazers had last season.

Terrible example.

2007 Clippers were 40-42
2008 Clippers were 23-59
Then Brand left.

This is nothing like a 54 win team being stripped of it's entire young core of players in one off-season.

vbgc
07-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Did they win it all? Is their a dynasty? Our their future hall of gamers?http://healthlifeok.com/green/images/46.gifhttp://healthlifeok.com/green/images/63.gif

valade16
07-01-2015, 11:01 AM
Those players are all below average starters. Similar to my Knicks your cap space won't mean anything if you use it to overpay for players that won't create wins for the team. Lillard is all you have.

At the moment. But all are young and show potential.

McCollum averaged 17.0 PPG on 47.8% 3PT in the playoffs last season. Heck, Meyer's Leonard averaged a blistering 76.9% 3 PT on 2.6 Attempts a game in the playoffs, his Ortg was 156. Small sample size I know, but it shows promise for their future potential.

On the opposite end of the coin, I think our cap space actually means less than the Knicks cap space because Portland is such a small market. We don't really attract marquee FAs. The Knicks with 27 Million in cap space is a far better scenario than the Blazers with 27 Million in cap space if that makes sense.

KnicksorBust
07-01-2015, 11:05 AM
This happens every year.

If it did I would have one quality example already. Which up to your post I don't.

First, Portland hasn't accomplished anything with this roster. So it's not a drastic implosion.

54 wins with a starting lineup of players 28 and under is pretty darn good start.

Second, teams fall out of the playoffs every year. The Pacers have seen a drastic drop this past year (they held it together pretty well, but they are still in the lottery.

This is how completely you missed my point. They are traded their starting SF and are most likely going to lose their starting SG, PF (multiple all-star) and C to free agency all in one offseason. The Pacers didn't experience that.

The Cavs went from 60 wins to the worst record in the league when LBJ left.

Sure. I have no problem admitting teams get worse. But did they lose a 26 year old SF? A 28 year old SG? A 29 year old PF? And a 26 year old C? All in the same offseason??

This happens almost every year. Somebody loses a key free agent, they were already a borderline playoff team, and then they dump role players in trades for picks and such.

You again say every year but your only example is the Pacers who only lost Lance Stephenson last off-season and the LeBron Cavs who were a win-now team of a bunch of mid 30 year olds like Parker, Jamison, and Shaq. This Blazers team was built to compete for the next 5-6 seasons in my opinion and to see it reduced to shambles and thrown back into the lottery after one offseason is catastrophic for their success.

KnicksorBust
07-01-2015, 11:06 AM
At the moment. But all are young and show potential.

McCollum averaged 17.0 PPG on 47.8% 3PT in the playoffs last season. Heck, Meyer's Leonard averaged a blistering 76.9% 3 PT on 2.6 Attempts a game in the playoffs, his Ortg was 156. Small sample size I know, but it shows promise for their future potential.

On the opposite end of the coin, I think our cap space actually means less than the Knicks cap space because Portland is such a small market. We don't really attract marquee FAs. The Knicks with 27 Million in cap space is a far better scenario than the Blazers with 27 Million in cap space if that makes sense.

It is hard to take you seriously if you actually believe CJ McCollum and Meyer Leonard could be average starters. Optimism is a wonderful thing but reality will set in.

valade16
07-01-2015, 11:09 AM
This is nothing like a 54 win team being stripped of it's entire young core of players in one off-season.

I don't know what it is, but this **** always happens to the Blazers. We get so close to being a great team and then it all comes crashing down:

2000 - up 13 in the 4th against the Lakers in Game 7 of the WCF. Choke and lose the series and get bounced in the 1st round the next 3 seasons as our talent slowly erodes.

2009 - We look like the next dynasty with Roy, LMA and Oden and win 54 games with our young core. Oden and Roy get decimated by injuries and our trio is gone before it ever begins

2014 - After getting the steal of the draft in Lillard we beat the Rockets in the 2nd round and look like a potential future challenger for the West. Wes gets hurt and we lose in the 1st round and now LMA, Wes, Rolo and Batum are gone.

Has any team been so close to being a good/great team so many times only to be denied? It is brutal.

valade16
07-01-2015, 11:14 AM
It is hard to take you seriously if you actually believe CJ McCollum and Meyer Leonard could be average starters. Optimism is a wonderful thing but reality will set in.

average starters? Why couldn't they be?

Meyer's Leonard averaged 42% on 3PT last season. He put up a 117 Ortg on 63.1% TS% and a .158 WS/48. He rebounds well (25% DRB last 2 seasons) as well.

Trust me, Blazer fans hated Leonard and gave him tons of **** for being lost defensively and generally a bit of a lumbering, uncoordinated oaf. But last season he almost became an entirely different player and everyone in Portland was downright shocked.

I'm not saying either is going to be a star (or really anything beyond one dimensional) but they could definitely turn out to be competent starters who excel in their roles (Leonard as a stretch 4/5 and McCollum as a spot up shooter).

KnicksorBust
07-01-2015, 11:15 AM
I don't know what it is, but this **** always happens to the Blazers. We get so close to being a great team and then it all comes crashing down:

2000 - up 13 in the 4th against the Lakers in Game 7 of the WCF. Choke and lose the series and get bounced in the 1st round the next 3 seasons as our talent slowly erodes.

2009 - We look like the next dynasty with Roy, LMA and Oden and win 54 games with our young core. Oden and Roy get decimated by injuries and our trio is gone before it ever begins

2014 - After getting the steal of the draft in Lillard we beat the Rockets in the 2nd round and look like a potential future challenger for the West. Wes gets hurt and we lose in the 1st round and now LMA, Wes, Rolo and Batum are gone.

Has any team been so close to being a good/great team so many times only to be denied? It is brutal.

Post "jailblazers" I've really become a fan of your team and it seems like you guys find a way to keep the wheels turning but never get reach your potential. Would have loved to seen a healthy Wes in the playoffs this season.