PDA

View Full Version : CBS: Raptors may look to move Derozan with large contract looming

spreadeagle
06-29-2015, 07:34 PM
Some team will trade for him n pay him and pay him a max, at least a few teams out there will lose out on their free agency target and have money to burn, with Raps getting swept in playoffs I see either him or Lowry on the move and Lowry is locked into a pretty cheap deal

Rumor: Raptors could look to trade DeMar DeRozan
By Matt Moore | NBA writer
June 29, 2015 5:50 pm ET

The Toronto Raptors could look to trade former All-Star DeMar DeRozan instead of risking losing him next summer when he looks to demand a deal that exceeds their comfortable investment level in him. From the Toronto Sun:

(GM Masai) Ujiri also could swing a deal involving part of his core. Whispers continue to circulate that DeMar DeRozan's camp will be after the new mid-max (a whopping $25.3 million) a year from now and there is no way the Raptors will be comfortable footing that bid.

Source: Raptors have big bucks to spend this summer | Raptors | Sports | Toronto Sun.

DeRozan missed 22 games last season due to injury, but still averaged 20 points, five rebounds and four assists per game for the Raptors, who badly missed him while he was out. His shooting percentages were wretched (41 percent from the field, 28 percent from 3-point range), but if you look at his shot chart, there's real promise there.

His corner-3 percentage are right where they need to be as are his mid-range baseline shots. If he were to adapt his game slightly, the way Andre Iguodala did, he could be very effective while still lacking the ability to be a true 3-point shooter. (Iguodala dropped his mid-range shot distribution from 36 percent to 18 percent from 2012 to 2015, and increased his corner-3 shot distribution by close to 100 percent).

DeRozan's defense is also top notch; he was really the only quality defender on Toronto last season. DeRozan would be a great value pick up for a team that needs a wing to put them over the top, even if it would cost them a significant amount. Getting teams willing to take on that salary will be tricky, but with the coming cap increase in 2016, that number drops significantly. If it doesn't work out, you can fashion a sign-and-trade.

The Raptors have targeted LaMarcus Aldridge in free agency and look to be very active after that disastrous sweep to the Wizards. Ujiri wants to put his mark on this team. Moving DeRozan could be the start of an evolutionary shift for the Raptors. http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25228503/rumor-raptors-could-look-to-trade-demar-derozan

Raidaz4Life
06-29-2015, 07:40 PM
Smart move by the Raps. I'm a bit surprised

mjt20mik
06-29-2015, 07:43 PM
I don't think we sign LMA.. therefore I don't think we let go of Demar

nycericanguy
06-29-2015, 07:43 PM
in this era of analytics I doubt anyone gives Derozan more than 12-14m even with the cap going up.

A SG that can't shoot? how do you manage to shoot 40% even when you're not attempting or making alot of 3's?

mjt20mik
06-29-2015, 07:48 PM
in this era of analytics I doubt anyone gives Derozan more than 12-14m even with the cap going up.

A SG that can't shoot? how do you manage to shoot 40% even when you're not attempting or making alot of 3's?

He'll get 20 million. You'd be surprised how much teams would actually throw at him. He is a hard worker, and I do think in the right system he would be effective as hell. Toronto runs way too much ISO so that's why most of his shots are bad shots.

Stunner
06-29-2015, 07:59 PM
Heard he wants $25 million per , he's as good as gone

Bruno
06-29-2015, 08:06 PM
The writing has been on the wall all year. He's too old for the rebuild. Mas-man will get as much as he can for him.

Blitzace137
06-29-2015, 08:06 PM
And some people thought Melos contract was bad just wait and see how much some of these guys get paid starting next season. Melos contract will look like a bargain if DeRozan gets anything close to $25 million a year.

Clint Olbrock
06-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Cavs

bucketss
06-29-2015, 08:27 PM

long 2's, he even admitted he doesn't like taking open shots.

Aust
06-29-2015, 08:31 PM
25m is crazy for derozan

IndyRealist
06-29-2015, 08:36 PM
long 2's, he even admitted he doesn't like taking open shots.
That time spent with Rudy Gay ruined any chance of him fixing his shot selection.

mjt20mik
25 million is roughly 20 percent of the cap. Right now Demar makes 16 percent of the cap. I don't understand how it is crazy when you look at percentages instead of figures. Whole figures with the new cap skew everything.

spreadeagle
Cavs

I was thinking that too, wonder if Derozan and Ross for Klove sign n trade could happen

akesh99
06-29-2015, 09:15 PM
^DeRozan and Patterson probably makes the most sense.. Ross probably wouldn't get much burn behind Lebron, Dero, Shump and JR (assuming he re-signs). Pat would be a nice stretch 4 for them behind Thompson

spreadeagle
06-29-2015, 09:22 PM
^DeRozan and Patterson probably makes the most sense.. Ross probably wouldn't get much burn behind Lebron, Dero, Shump and JR (assuming he re-signs). Pat would be a nice stretch 4 for them behind Thompson

If we resigned Lou Will

Lowry, Lou, Ross, Love, Valanciunas

Irving, Derozan , Shump, Bron, Thompson

Would be nice for both teams imo, Val n Love could be a good inside ouside combo with great rebounding

BHF
06-29-2015, 10:06 PM
If we resigned Lou Will

Lowry, Lou, Ross, Love, Valanciunas

Irving, Derozan , Shump, Bron, Thompson

Would be nice for both teams imo, Val n Love could be a good inside ouside combo with great rebounding
:puke:

Clint Olbrock
06-29-2015, 11:22 PM
I was thinking that too, wonder if Derozan and Ross for Klove sign n trade could happen

I was half kidding BUT

I was thinking more along the lines of Derozan for Haywood's non-guaranteed contract since the Raptors are over the luxury tax line for next season currently(although half of it is in cap holds). Just depends how bad they wanna move him and how bad they wanna shed salary.

I just looked at it as us helping the Raptors out, we can trade you some young guys, overseas players rights, future 2nd round picks and cash just to make it more worthwhile. Otherwise we don't NEED Derozan if we retain our guys and we can keep Love at the same time(Love wouldn't wanna go up north any way).

I was just looking to steal a good player for pretty much peanuts lol

spreadeagle
06-29-2015, 11:27 PM
I was half kidding BUT

I was thinking more along the lines of Derozan for Haywood's non-guaranteed contract since the Raptors are over the luxury tax line for next season currently(although half of it is in cap holds). Just depends how bad they wanna move him and how bad they wanna shed salary.

I just looked at it as us helping the Raptors out, we can trade you some young guys, overseas players rights, future 2nd round picks and cash just to make it more worthwhile. Otherwise we don't NEED Derozan if we retain our guys and we can keep Love at the same time(Love wouldn't wanna go up north any way).

passss , I bet we can snag something decent for him from a team looking to add one more piece to make a run at a championship

Raps08-09 Champ
06-29-2015, 11:31 PM
Trade him.

Cal827
06-29-2015, 11:32 PM
Could of sworn FriedTufuz calling him the next Jordan

:laugh2: Tofuz say a lot of things.... We probably could get a legitimate thread of "**** Tofuz says" going for a few weeks

Clint Olbrock
06-29-2015, 11:33 PM
passss , I bet we can snag something decent for him from a team looking to add one more piece to make a run at a championship

I don't blame ya lol but the salary relief will be there if the Raptors want it, until August 1st.

spreadeagle
06-29-2015, 11:35 PM
I don't blame ya lol but the salary relief will be there if the Raptors want it, until August 1st.

Also we have Masai, he got multiple picks for Bargnani (one could be a lottery next yr), An awesome haul for Rudy Gay, Traded John Salmons for Lou Williams who became 6th man of the yr and just got 2 picks for Vasquez.I can only imagine what he gets for a guy who can actually play

FriedTofuz
06-29-2015, 11:39 PM
Could of sworn FriedTufuz calling him the next Jordan

I've never said that. I probably said Shumpert or THJR is the next jordan instead.

FriedTofuz
06-29-2015, 11:40 PM
:laugh2: Tofuz say a lot of things.... We probably could get a legitimate thread of "**** Tofuz says" going for a few weeks

I keep PSD alive, you're welcome. :cheers:

FriedTofuz
06-29-2015, 11:41 PM
I'd say a Sign and trade with the Bucks for Middleton is the way to go. Middleton doesnt have a big name but he's expected for a breakout year and is 10X the defender and 3PT shooter that Derozan is while being more efficient and such.

TheNumber37
06-29-2015, 11:44 PM
Mavericks or Blazers

Or 3 team trade involving, Kings, Nuggets and Rapts with Lawson and Derozan on the move for maybe Gary Harris and some stuff

Cal827
06-29-2015, 11:52 PM
I was half kidding BUT

:laugh2: Well not gonna blame you for that.

Well to the main point.

The Only way that Derozan gets a deal close to this one, is if we acquire one of the big targets. If we strike out on all of them, I think Ujiri looks to dismantle the team. We could potentially be in a good position next season, with JV becoming more of a focal point (if we rebuild), and have two likely high draft picks (of course, the second one would be contingent on the Knicks and Nuggets losing next season as well).

Cal827
06-29-2015, 11:54 PM
I keep PSD alive, you're welcome. :cheers:

You're goddamn right you do :cheers: Welcome back!

FriedTofuz
06-30-2015, 12:32 AM
If Masai Ujiri traded Bargnani for a 1st rounder, and if the knicks traded THJR for a 1st rounder, Im pretty sure Derozan can fetch a top 10 lotto pick. Id be down to trade him for 2 future 1st rounders or a sign and trade for middleton. Or a Sign and trade of Derozan, Valancuinas, knicks 1st rounder, Raptors 1st rounder, for cousins and take on carl Landry's Contract.

Lowry
Ross
----
Aldridge
Cousins

Then in 2016 the Raptors should have enough talent to Attract Kevin Durant.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-30-2015, 10:39 AM
I'd say a Sign and trade with the Bucks for Middleton is the way to go. Middleton doesnt have a big name but he's expected for a breakout year and is 10X the defender and 3PT shooter that Derozan is while being more efficient and such. No thanks you can keep DeRozan.

Minimal
06-30-2015, 01:43 PM
Derozan worth 14 Million/Year max.

smith&wesson
06-30-2015, 02:04 PM
the raps will not pay Dero 25 mill... the real question here is, who would ? that's insane. Has LeBron every even made 25 million in one year on an nba contract ?

ChI_ShIzzLe
06-30-2015, 02:28 PM
I'd do Taj Gibson for Derozan straight up.

bucketss
06-30-2015, 02:36 PM
rather have derozan than khris middleton